Unofficial Portkey Archive

Coming To Salem by HarryandHermionesLoveChild
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Coming To Salem

HarryandHermionesLoveChild

AN: You guys are the absolute greatest. I'm so glad that you have stuck around, and again thanks for the reviews. I thought as a treat to all of you that have followed this story and waited so patiently, to go ahead and post this chapter. I left it in a horrid place, and couldn't bear the wait myself. So here you go, another chapter in very, very, quick succession, just don't get too use to it! Lol! x

Coming To Salem

Chapter Seven

****

Harry apparated back to his apartment, and braced himself for the onslaught he knew was coming. He hated to leave Hermione the way he did but he felt as though he had no choice. His father would only be growing angrier and angrier every second he wasn't there. Staring at the door, and taking one more deep breath, he entered the apartment. He walked in to find his father with his back to him, a guard standing against a wall, and Remus sitting down.

Remus rose quickly from the chair he was sitting on when he saw Harry enter, and rushed over to greet him. He stopped short when he noticed Harry's appearance. "Good grief, Harry, what on earth has happened to your hair?"

Harry managed to smile. This new hairstyle had too been an initial shock for him at first, but he had grown to be quite fond of it. It was different. He'd also liked not having to wear glasses either. "I fancied a change."

Remus patted his shoulder. "It's good to see you, your highness."

Harry rolled his eyes, even at a time like this Remus, was trying to wind him up. Harry looked over to where his father was still standing with his back to him. His silence was becoming very unsettling, King James had still not said anything. Remus went to stand on the other side of the room, dismissing the guard who remained with James and Remus.

When the guard left the room to go stand outside, James turned around, and levelled a steely gaze at his son.

"Are you ashamed of who you are?" King James asked Harry, his tone deadly.

Harry looked his father straight in the face. "No, Sir," he answered, as if the question was absurd.

"Are you ashamed of being the son, of a king and queen?" James asked.

"No, Sir," Harry answered, just as his father started to walk towards him.

"Ashamed of your name?" James asked sarcastically, still getting closer to his son.

Harry had no idea how his father found out about him going around using a different name, even though it was irrelevant. He was pretty sure Ron wouldn't have told, or deliberately got him into trouble. His friend was a lot of things, but he wasn't a squealer. King James just had a knack for finding things out about people, and what they were up to.

"No, Sir," Harry answered.

James never once broke the eye contact with his son. "Now that we have that cleared that up, whatever you have been doing, whatever adventures that you have been having, they end now."

Harry said nothing, and let his father continue to speak.

"You are to collect your things together this minute, and we will return to Gryffindor at once. Your mother has been worried sick about you, and there is a wedding to plan," James started to leave, his statement left no real room for argument, but Harry didn't care. He had listened to everything that his father had said, and felt guilty when he heard that he'd made his mother worry, but all he could think about, especially when he heard the word 'wedding' was Hermione.

"No," Harry said softly.

Remus gasped from the other side of the room, as James, froze in his tracks. Harry, never disobeyed his father, and nobody ever dreamed he would either.

James slowly turned around to face his son. "That wasn't a request!"

At any other time Harry, would have been shaking in his very boots, but all he could picture was Hermione's face, there was no way he was going to give her up for anyone, not even his king.

"No," Harry repeated, standing his ground.

James exploded at his son's disrespect. "You listen to me, I'm not only your father but your king, and when I order you to do something, you do it, understand?!" James bellowed.

"I apologize, your Majesty," Harry said with no malice present in his voice. "Forgive me."

Without another word, Harry ran to the door and left the apartment.

"Harry, come back here at once!" James hollered, but it was no good, Harry was already gone.

Remus stared at the open door that Harry had escaped through, with his mouth open in shock. "What on earth was that all about?"

****

Hermione was beginning to get really worried. Her friend Sam, had been silent ever since announcing that she had wanted to tell her something, and whatever it was it had to be serious. Sam, never acted this way.

"Sam, please stop pacing," Hermione pleaded. "Your starting to make me feel dizzy."

At her friends request, Sam stopped, and looked at Hermione with sympathy.

"Sam, please tell me what going on.," Hermione begged. "This silence is driving me crazy, and I've not exactly had the best night as it is."

"What I have to tell you, is going to be so far fetched you're not going to believe me," Sam told her friend.

"Sam, you never surprise me remember, we've been friends for ages, I know you always come out with crazy stuff," Hermione said trying to lighten the situation, whatever it was about.

Sam was torn, she knew she had to tell her friend what she found out, it was for the best, but she also knew it would destroy her. She had never seen Hermione so happy, and now she was going to take her happiness away in an instant. There would be hell to pay if when Hermione did find out, she found out that Sam, had known but not told her.

"It's about, Ha-James," Sam said, nearly letting the cat out of the bag straight away.

Hermione's eyes perked up at hearing her boyfriends name. "What about him?"

Samantha, was really struggling to find a way of telling her this as gently as possible. "Have you ever thought he… resembles someone?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, not really."

"Whether you want to admit or not?" Sam asked slowly.

Hermione let out a frustrated sigh. "Fine Sam, he slightly resembles Prince Harry, slightly!"

"He's the spiting image of him!"

"Where are you going with this, Sam?!" Hermione said, raising her voice. "Are you trying to tell me that you fancy my boyfriend, what?!"

"NO!" Sam shouted before she could stop herself. "I'm trying to tell you that your boyfriend is Prince Harry!"

Hermione stared at her best friend as if she'd never seen her before. "Have you completely lost your mind?!"

Sam squealed in frustration. "Look, I know you think I'm crazy but I'm sure about this ok?! Not only does he look like his twin, but Ron, referred to him as 'Harry' in the bar earlier and I didn't even think anything of it, I thought it was just a nickname for his buddy because he thought he looked like the Prince too!"

"Please tell me you have more?" Hermione said snidely.

Sam ignored her friends sarcastic tone, Hermione had every right to be upset. "But when I looked in this weeks issue of 'Witches Weekly' I-"

Hermione held up a hand and turned to walk away. "That's enough, I'm not listening to anymore !"

"I found a picture of Ron, standing next Prince Harry!" Sam finished.

Hermione froze in her tracks, and slowly turned to see her friend holding the copy of 'Witches Weekly' that if did in fact proves Samantha's theory, was going to crucify her.

"Please, Hermione," Sam said softly. "Just take a look, you know I'd never do anything to hurt your feelings like you think I'm doing now."

Hermione shakily took the magazine from her friends hand, and looked at the picture in the centre fold. Seeing as how the Prince was due to be married, every magazine was printing his picture, along with his family. They were publishing every picture that was available. Hermione's eyes scanned the pictures, and had to admit even more now how much James, resembled Harry. Prince Harry's eyes were virtually the same sparkling pools that she was getting use to looking into everyday. He had the same chiselled jaw, the only thing James was missing was the messy hair, and the clean shaven face.

As Hermione thought about 'James' she winced, James was the name of King, Prince Harry's father, everything was starting to point towards Sam's revelation being true. And then she saw it, the picture of Prince Harry at a quidditch match in the royal box, with the unmistakeable Ron Weasley sitting next to him drinking beer. As the picture moved, Ron said something to the prince that made him smile, Hermione then knew for sure. That smile was the same smile that had made her go week at the knees for the last few months, that made her have lustful dreams at night, and also comforted her when she felt down.

Hermione saw a tear fall onto the magazine, she wasn't even aware that she had started crying. Looking up at Samantha, her friend's sympathetic look rounded everything up.

Hermione, then felt her heat break in two.

Sam hated to see her friend look so lost, but she had no real choice but to tell her, it would be better in the long run. "Hermione, maybe-"

"Don't!" Hermione warned, cutting her friend off. "Don't you dare try and do what you did the last time he made me look a fool, and try and defend this by telling me he must have had his reasons! Because nothing can justify treating someone like this!"

Sam did what she thought was best, and remained silent.

Hermione collapsed onto to the sofa with her head in her hands, and screamed. "Merlin, how could I have been so stupid?!"

Sam was about to go comfort her distraught friend when there was a knock at the door. Sam opened the door to the late caller, and kept her cool when she came face to face with The Prince of Gryffindor himself.

"Hello Samantha, " Harry said politely. "Is Hermione, here?"

Hermione raised her head from her hands, as she heard 'his' voice say her name. Narrowing her eyes, she jumped from the sofa and looked in the in direction of her friend, and now 'ex' boyfriend. Before Sam, could turn the Prince away, Hermione did something incredible. She invited him in.

"Hi, James," she said in a frighteningly calm manner. "Come in."

Samantha looked back at her friend with a strange expression, wondering exactly what Hermione was going to do? Harry walked straight over to Hermione, but didn't notice Samantha, mouth to her friend, "What are you doing?"

As soon as Harry got to Hermione, he gently cradled her face in his hands. "Hi."

"Hello," Hermione said with a fake smile on her face. She grinned almost evilly, and almost felt sorry for him, almost, he really had no idea what he was in for.

"Hermione," Harry started quietly. "I really need to talk to you about something, there's something about me…that you really should know."

Hermione's blood began to boil. "There's something I need to tell you too."

"Really, what's that?" Harry asked.

"I know," Hermione said still smiling.

"Know, what?" Harry asked confused.

Hermione shook her head with a chuckle, and let both her hands grip his biceps gently.

"I know," Hermione repeated. Harry's expression didn't change, but Hermione's did, the smile vanished from her face, and was replaced with a look of a woman scorned. Before Harry had chance to register the drastic change in Hermione's mood, he felt her grip his biceps, along with the full force of her knee connecting with his 'crown jewels'

Samantha gasped in shock horror, watching the Prince instantly grab his crotch. "Oh Merlin, she just kicked the Prince of Gryffindor in the balls!" Sam said dramatically, more to herself then anyone else.

Harry thought he was going to be physically sick as all the air left his lungs, and his face turned purple. He would, in later life swear that he actually felt his balls reach all the way up to his throat. Not able to keep on his feet, he fell to his knees, still unable make any audible sound.

"Like I said," Hermione sneered, bending down to Harry's current level, "I know who you are, Harry. You lying bastard!"

"Her-," Harry tried to get something to come out of his mouth, but he was still in too much pain. All that was left for him to do, was to watch the woman he loved dissolve into tears, and know that it was all his fault.

Hermione was now sobbing uncontrollably, everything coming to her all at once, as well as having him right there in front of her. "How could you?! What makes you think you have the right, to do that to someone, to make them believe that you..?!"

Hermione was unable to finish the last question, she was far too distressed and angry. Harry on the other hand was beginning to regain some feeling in his body, and his breathing was also starting to become stable. He took a few more deep breaths before attempting to speak.

"Hermione," he breathed. "Please, forgive me. Please."

"I hate you!" she screamed, tears streaming down her face. "And I never want to see you again! I don't even want to hear your name mentioned again! Just please, I'm begging you, stay out of my life!"

Hermione hastily left the room in floods of tears, with Sam following closely behind. Hermione, hearing her friends footsteps from behind, turned around suddenly.

"Sam," she said sniffing. "Please, I really, really want to be alone right now."

Sam could only nod and grant her friends wish, then turned her attentions to the prince. Harry had managed to crawl towards a wall, using his back to lean against it, he waited for his breath to get back to normal. He had watched Hermione leave, and wasn't surprised that she didn't want to look at him right now, let alone listen to him try and explain why he did what he did. Seeing Samantha staring at him silently, he let his head fall back against the wall with a loud thud.

"Are you still in pain, your highness?" Samantha asked, a slight edge to voice as she approached Harry.

"Please, don't call me that," Harry said softly. "And I'm in no more pain than I deserve."

Samantha, was really struggling to find something to say to the man in front of her. He was her childhood hero, the Prince of Gryffindor, and she still slept with his picture above her bed. But he had just emotionally destroyed her best friend, and not for the first time.

"How did she find out?" Harry asked, completely curious.

"I told her," Sam said honestly.

Harry looked at Samantha strangely. "Would you mind telling me, how you found out?"

Sam took a deep breath. "There were lots of things really. But they were things that I didn't really notice, until I saw a picture of your friend in 'Witches weekly.'"

When Harry scrunched up his face in confusion, Samantha continued.

"I saw a picture of the two of you, in the royal box at the quidditch world cup," she explained.

Harry shook his head in dismay, he hated how it was his destiny to live his life in a fish bowl. "Remind me to thank the wonderful press," he said distastefully.

"You of all people should know that the world is constantly watching you," Sam said in an obvious tone.

"So it would seem," Harry said flatly, before slowly starting to get to his feet. He winced slightly, still feeling a slight burning sensation in his groin, he had a feeling it would be there for a while to come. Harry looked longingly in the direction that Hermione had disappeared in, only to have Sam glare at him warningly.

"Don't even think about it," Sam said. "She is very upset right now, and the last thing she needs is to be in the same room as you."

Harry nodded sadly, he would respect her wishes.

"What else gave me away?" he asked, looking at Sam.

"Your resemblance to 'him' was uncanny," Sam told him bitterly. "Now we know why."

"I suppose, I was lucky to have gone unnoticed so long," Harry said, scratching the back of his neck.

"And that I'm blonde," Sam said without any emotion.

Harry almost let the corners of his mouth turn up at her joke. "But you have more fun, I take it?"

"Damn straight," she replied folding her arms.

"I must say I'm surprised that Hermione didn't figure it out sooner," Harry said thoughtfully. "She's so bright."

"Well, she's not exactly your biggest fan is she?" Sam pointed out harshly.

Harry laughed bitterly. "I needed no help figuring that piece of information out for myself."

Samantha looked at the Prince closely, she was slowly beginning to feel sorry for him. He looked so broken, and it had nothing to do with being kicked in the balls. Sam was well aware that Hermione, always believed she was completely justified in her reasons for not liking Harry, but Sam always found herself trying to defend him. It wasn't because she fancied him, which she didn't deny, but because she genuinely believed he was decent. When Hermione had returned from the palace years before in bits, the story about Harry not wanting to see her just didn't add up, there had to be more to it than that. Now with the Prince standing in front of her, she had perhaps the only opportunity she was going to get to find out exactly what happened.

"Why did you do it?" Sam asked softly.

"I had all intentions of telling her the truth tonight, I swear it," Harry said, misunderstanding the question.

"No, not this," Sam said shaking her head.

"Then what?" the prince asked confused.

"I'm talking about the time Hermione, went to your palace a few years ago," Sam said quickly. "When she was pre selected for your council."

Harry's heart started to thump loudly against his chest. "Oh yes, the first time I broke her heart!" he thought sadly

"Remember I told you about it, when I thought you were 'James'?" Sam asked, thinking he couldn't remember.

"I remember," he said quietly. "I remember only too well."

"Why did you do it?" Sam asked again.

Harry started to feel nauseous, just like he did every time this subject was broached. Ever since he had found out what Pettigrew had done, he always felt responsible for what had happened to the young lady, who he now knew to be Hermione, who was sent away under the impression that the prince, had wanted nothing to do with her. No matter how many people tried to make him understand he wasn't to blame, he refused to blame anyone else but himself. It was a habit that he couldn't shake.

"I was told she never arrived at the palace," Harry answered sadly.

Sam opened her mouth in shock. "That's a lie!"

Harry flinched. "I know that, now."

"Who would tell you that?" Sam asked. She would swear she briefly saw fire flash in Harry's eyes at her question.

"By someone," Harry choked. "Someone…who I thought…was my friend."

"So you never said that you didn't want to see her?" Sam asked, noticing how this conversation was starting to affect him.

"I would never refuse to see anyone," Harry told her strongly. "Especially those who are put forward as council candidates, the work and effort they put in is nothing short of spectacular. And, its not in my nature."

Samantha sighed. "It didn't sound like something a prince would do."

"It doesn't sound like something a human being would do," the royal added. "Cam we just leave it at that?"

Samantha nodded slowly. She could tell Harry desperately wanted to steer away from the subject for obvious reasons. She remembered vividly how hurt Hermione was a few years ago after her trip to the palace, she couldn't begin to imagine how the person who thought he was responsible for her pain would feel.

"You're not going to like, arrest her for crimes against the crown, you know for kicking you in nuts?" Sam asked. "Are you?"

Her question lightened the mood a little, causing Harry to smile. "Of course not."

"Oh good," Sam said, and breathed out a sigh of relief. "You know, this is very unusual behaviour for her, it's normally always me that loses control like that."

"I think we're all entitled to lose control once in a while," said the Prince. "Don't you think?"

"Yeah," Sam nodded. "But knowing Hermione, she'll probably be distraught in the morning when she thinks about what she did to you, even if you kinda deserved it."

Harry decided that there was nothing more he could possibly do tonight to make Hermione speak to him, and he certainly didn't want to upset her anymore than he had already.

Harry looked at Samantha, and smiled. "Would you tell her something for me?"

"Sure."

"Please tell her, that kicking me in the…you know what's… made me fall even more in love with her," Harry said sincerely.

Sam looked at him as if he'd grown another head. "Am I suppose to understand that?"

"No," Harry chuckled. "And neither is she."

Harry sent Sam one last smile, before disaparating from the apartment.

****

When Harry returned to his apartment, he was surprised to see only Remus waiting for him.

"Where's my father?" he asked closing the door behind him.

"He's escaped to a five star hotel, where both he, and your mother are waiting for you," Remus told him.

"My mother?" Harry asked confused.

"Soon after you left, your father thought it was best that your mother come to try and get some sense out of you," Remus explained. "However, he didn't want her to see you in such surroundings, he felt it might upset her."

"Get some sense out of me?" Harry repeated flatly. "Have I supposed to have gone mad?"

Remus smiled. "Haven't you?"

"You aren't helping!" Harry said curtly.

"In all seriousness, Harry," Remus said nicely. "Please help me understand what's going on."

Harry looked at the man he considered to be a second father, he knew he could trust Remus, that was for sure. The cat was out of the bag and he was going to be telling his parents the truth in a very short while it would seem, there was really no harm in letting Remus, know first.

"I'm in love," Harry said quietly, and smiled to himself. He never dreamed he would be able to say that sentence out loud, as he never thought he'd ever get to experience the greatest feeling on earth, that was until he met Hermione.

Remus raised his eyebrows. "Ooops."

****

After they arrived at the hotel, Harry, for the first time in his life, couldn't care a less about what was coming to him. He was aware that he'd managed to piss his father off to new heights, and was not happy at the prospect of his mother being so disappointed in him, but he still couldn't get the woman who he had left in tears out of his mind.

Remus, addressed the guards outside of the suite the king and queen of Gryffindor were occupying, before opening the door for Harry. "It's been a pleasure knowing you, sir."

Remus shut the door before Harry had a chance to retort, leaving the prince alone with his parents.

"Harry," Lily cried, throwing her arms around her son.

"Hello, mother," Harry said, returning his mothers hug.

"Are you alright, my son?" Lily asked concerned.

"Yes, mother," Harry assured her. "I'm fine."

"Lily, will you please stop babying him?!" James shouted. "I've got questions for that boy and he better have answers!"

Harry let go of his mother, and met his fathers eyes, while Lily, stood to the side, praying that thing's didn't erupt.

"Well?!" James asked hotly. "Don't you have something you want to say to me?!"

The King was beyond angry, and showed no real sign of being any calmer than he was when he had last spoke to his son. When Lily, had arrived after her husband had told her that Harry, had been getting into mischief, she had managed to tame him a little, but his anger returned full throttle when Harry walked into the room.

"I'm waiting!" James spat, angry that his son had remained silent.

Lily stepped in between her son and husband, alternating her looks between them both.

"James, I understand that you are upset, but you must give you son a chance to explain," Lily told her husband.

James saw the pleading look in his wife's eyes, and was instantly beginning to calm. "Fine!"

The queen turned to face her son. "What's going on, Harry? And we want the truth."

Harry swallowed back the lump that was forming in his throat, he never lied to his parents, and he wasn't about to start now.

"I've met someone," Harry said shakily.

Lily looked over to James, who immediately narrowed his eyes.

"Her name is, Hermione," Harry told them softly. "And she's the most…amazing person I've ever met."

James started to approach his son angrily, only to be stopped by his wife. "James, sit down!"

The king not once took his eyes of his son, who was shocked at the way his mother had just spoke to his father, he had never seen that before. "James, sit!" Lily repeated.

King James, glanced at his wife briefly, before going to sit down.

Lily took a calming breath. "So, how did you meet her?"

Harry told his parents everything, including how he and Ron got jobs, which led to him meeting Hermione. He also told them that Hermione was the girl candidate who Pettigrew, told him never showed up for the Gryffindor council selection. The king and queen expressed both disappointment in their son, and sadness for him when he told them what had he been up to, and how things had turned out. Lilly was much more understanding than her husband, who even though had calmed down, was still angry with their son.

"Did you forget that you're due to be married next week?!" James asked hotly.

Harry shivered, his life would be over if he had to marry Cho.

"Please don't make me go through with it," Harry pleaded.

James regarded his son with a weird expression, in spite of all his anger towards Harry, he'd never seen him so vulnerable before.

"We thought you and Cho, got along," James said. "This is the best thing for you!"

"No it isn't," Harry said firmly. "I don't even like her! And yet you expect me to spend the rest of my life with her. Is it your greatest wish for me to miserable?!"

"But she's beautiful, Harry," James said, his comment earning a snorting sound from his wife.

"Father, please!" Harry said desperately. "I wouldn't love my wife because she's beautiful, she'd be beautiful because I loved her!"

Lily had never witnessed her son be so emotional. This, Hermione, whoever she was, had certainly left her mark. "So, you care greatly, about this girl?"

Harry turned to his mother, with tears slowly staring to form in his eyes. "Mother, I love her."

Lily saw that her sons heart was on his sleeve for everyone to see. "Then you must fight for her."

Harry smiled widely, then kissed his mother on the forehead.

****

Lily managed to convince Harry, that it would be best to leave Hermione alone for a few days. She was in an awful state, and still had to come to terms with the reality that she had been dating the Prince of Gryffindor for the past few months, and hadn't even known about it. Harry agreed, no matter how desperate he was to see Hermione, he knew his mother was right. The king had reluctantly agreed to stay in Salem, with both his wife and son, and also agreed to call of the arranged wedding to Cho Chang.

The royal family had been in Salem together for a week, when Harry had told his mother that he could no longer bear it, he had to see Hermione. He was going to see her the next day.

That night, James and Lily were preparing to go to bed.

"He's going to see her tomorrow," Lily told her husband.

"It's going to blow up in his face," James said, collapsing on their bed.

"You don't know that," Lily said rubbing lotion in his hands.

"You do realise, that even if a relationship was to come from this, it can't result in a marriage," James said pointedly. "He will have to marry someone we choose for him."

"I choose, Hermione," Lily said flatly.

James shook his head. "How can you choose her, you've never even met the girl!"

"I don't need to meet her to know that she makes my son happy," Lily retorted. "His happiness is obviously more important to me, than it is to you."

Lily got into bed beside her husband.

"Lily," James said softly. "You know that's not true, its just…tradition."

"It's a stupid tradition, James," Lily admonished. "One that you and I, certainly never paid any attention to!"

James's mouth bobbed up and down. "That was…different!"

Lily raised her eyebrows.

"And besides," James continued, "Who would dare change it?"

"I thought you were the king!" Lily said in a sweet sarcastic voice, before turning on her side, showing her back to her husband.

James had no reply.

****

The next few days, Hermione was determined to put on a brave face. Samantha knew her friend was stubborn, but this behaviour she thought, was ridiculous. Hermione was acting as if the past weeks hadn't happened, as if she never met Harry, and that she hadn't had her heart broken. Samantha begged her to just talk about it, and vent out all the anger that she felt at that moment, but Hermione was having none of it. She was putting on a show of bravery, but no one was buying it. Much to the dismay of Mitchell, Hermione refused to take anymore time off. Her first shift without Harry and Ron was almost unbearable for her, as she had the job of training two new starters. Harry and Ron needed to be replaced, but she couldn't' shake the memories from her mind as they flooded back, reminding her of the first day she met him, Harry.

It was a long, long shift but she got through it, just. Mitchell, had offered to stay and help her clean up but she politely refused, and assured him that she would lock up. She took out her wand, and said the appropriate spells to get the cleaning underway. She took a seat at the bar, watching the work being done for her. Times like this made her thank Merlin she was a witch, she was absolutely exhausted and not in a physical way, though she would never admit to anyone that it was emotional tiredness. She missed him.

Her thoughts were interrupted as the bell above the door indicated that someone had just walked in.

Hermione turned around expecting to see Mitchell. "Mitch, I told you…"

Hermione froze when she looked at who just walked in, a cold look crossing her face. There was silence for a while, but Hermione soon found her voice "Thought you'd be back in your grand palace, being fanned with large feathers and being fed grapes by now."

Harry stood in front of her with his hands crossed completely composed, he wasn't expecting any other reaction from her, nor should he. "I needed to see you."

Hermione snorted. "Do me a favour Harry, James, Prince, whatever the hell your name is, go back to your castle, to your little lapdog fiancée and enjoy life getting your arse wiped for you, all the while forgetting you ever met me!"

"I can't do that."

"Get out!" she ordered flatly.

"Not until you allow me to explain," he said softly.

"Oh I forgot," Hermione laughed bitterly. "You're royalty, which means it's only what you want that matters."

"That's not true and you know it," Harry said simply.

"So, what would you like to explain, your highness?" she asked mockingly. "Please say you want to explain why all it is you've done since the day we met is lie to me, and manipulate me."

"I wasn't tying to manipulate…"

"Ok then, fine!" Hermione cut him off sharply, and stood up. "Lets use the word 'deceive' then shall we?!"

"Hermione, I never meant to hurt you," he said desperately.

"What exactly did you think was going to happen when I found out?!" she spat. "Did you really expect me to fall into your arms, and have us live happily ever after like something out of a fucking fairytale?!"

"I didn't expect that," he said sadly. Well, maybe he expected some part of it.

"Good," she said coldly. "Because if you did then you're more stupid than I originally thought!"

Harry knew she was hurt and upset, and her emotions were obviously getting the better of her.

"Hermione, please… I love you," he told her softly.

"What about the girl you're suppose to marry?!"

Harry shook his head. "I don't love her, Hermione, I don't even like her! Why do you think I came to Salem?"

"Maybe to put notches in as many bedposts as you could, before you got tied down," she said snottily.

Harry looked a little offended. "You know that I'm not that kind of person, I came here to find my bride, I came Salem, to find you," he told her.

Hermione softened a little at his confession. "Why did you lie to me then, why couldn't you have just told me the truth from the start?"

"When?" Harry asked. "When I found out that you hated me, for a reason that I wasn't even aware of at the time?"

Hermione's eyes narrowed. "What do you mean at the time?"

"I know you came to the palace and that you were told that I didn't want to see you, " he told her. "It wasn't true Hermione, I had nothing to with it. I wanted to meet you, you're idea was brilliant."

For some reason she believed what he was telling her, but she was not about to let him off the hook that easy.

"I don't how you found out about that, but it has nothing to do with this!" she told him hotly.

"Of course it does," Harry raised his voice a little. "You judged me without ever having met me. What possible chance would I have had, should I have met you as I?! You wouldn't have given me the time of day!"

"It still didn't give you the right to lead me on the way you did." Hermione said quietly.

"You're right, it didn't" Harry admitted. "Hermione, I know you're angry and you have every right to be, but please, try and understand why I did what I did. I needed to know how you would feel about me. Not the prince, not the title, not the destroyer of the Dark lord but me, how you'd really feel about me!"

Hermione remained silent.

"It's still me Hermione, I'm still the same guy that you know," he said pleading with her to understand.

"I don't know who you are," she said getting upset.

"Yes you do," he said simply. "I'm the man you fell in love with. Should it matter that I'm a prince?"

"It shouldn't but…it would never work out between us, you're royalty for Merlin's sake!" she said shaking her head.

"Do you want me to give up my throne?" he asked her seriously. "I will. I renounce it right now, from this moment on, I'm no longer the Prince of Gryffindor. Does that make you happy?"

"You can't do that," she said gasped.

"Hermione, I don't care about my throne," he said strongly. "All I care about is you."

Hermione looked at him but still said nothing.

"Marry me, Hermione,"

Hermione's eyes nearly burst out of her sockets at Harry's proposal. She was speechless, and couldn't find her voice. Her eyes started to quickly fill up with tears, and she desperately needed to get away from him, before her heart betrayed her head.

"I'm sorry, but I can't," she whispered. "Goodbye, Harry."

Hermione rushed out of the bar into the back office in tears leaving Harry alone to close his eyes in defeat.

****

When Harry returned to the hotel, his parents needed only to look at him to see how things went.

"Harry, what happened?" Lily asked, already knowing the answer.

It took a while for Harry to find his voice, and it didn't sound all that good when he did.

"I've lost her," he croaked.

Lily held a hand to her mouth, as James briefly closed his eyes. No matter how strained his and Harry's relationship had been in the last week, he hated to see his son in such a state.

"You got what you wanted," Harry directed at his father sadly, before quickly leaving the room.

Lily looked at her husband in distress, she was expecting him to do something to make things better. "I want our son to be happy, James."

James took his wife into his arms, and lay his chin on top of her head. "So do I."

The three royals returned to Gryffindor the next day. Harry, immediately cut himself off from everyone, and constantly hid himself away, usually in his room. The king and queen grew increasingly concerned at their sons behaviour. He didn't seem to be the strong man that they had seen mature over the years, it was if he had lost every will that he had to live. Even Ron, his best friend couldn't bring him out of his slump. He had neglected his royal duties which wasn't at all in his nature, he didn't play quidditch, and he didn't even go horse riding, which was a shock to everyone in the palace. His father was sure he was going to be able to raise a smile on his sons face, when he told him that his arranged marriage had officially been called off, and that he'd never have to see Miss Chang, again. It didn't work.

After three long weeks of seeing his son become more closed off, James knew he had no other choice. He would have to back down. His wife was right. He wanted his son to be happy, and there was only one way that was going to happen.

****

Samantha knocked lightly on Hermione's bedroom door, and waited for the signal to enter.

"Come in," Hermione shouted from inside her room.

Samantha opened the door, to find Hermione on her bed reading. "Hi."

Hermione looked up at her friend who had a strange look on her face. "Are you okay?"

"Hermione I'm going to say something to you using words, that I never though I'd put in the same sentence," Samantha said slowly. "Just don't think I'm crazy."

Hermione looked at her even more strangely. "O-K."

Samantha straightened her posture, and cleared her throat. "Hermione?"

"Yes, Samantha," Hermione said, curious as to what was making her friend act like this.

"The King of Gryffindor, is here to see you," she smiled.

Hermione's face fell. "Samantha, that is so not funny."

"I'm not kidding Hermione, he's here and he's standing in our living room," Samantha said seriously.

Hermione snapped her book shut, gave Sam a warning look and stood up. She started to leave her bedroom and headed for the living room.

"Sam, I swear, if you're winding me up I'll knock the shit…"

Hermione went suddenly silent, and froze on the spot. There, in the living room stood King James of Gryffindor, along with two men dressed in black and gold robes. Samantha, went over to stand by them, and winked at one of the men who was quite easy on the eye, who immediately blushed.

King James, turned towards Samantha, and his bodyguards. "Would you leave us please?"

The two men nodded, and let Samantha lead them to the kitchen.

King James approached Hermione slowly, and gave her a gentle smile. "So you're the young lady that's keeping Harry, awake at night."

Hermione remained silent. She was still in shock at being within arms reach of the King of Gryffindor.

"I understand you're seeing my son," James said.

"Was, seeing him," Hermione corrected emotionless.

"Miss Granger…" James began, but was cut off.

"Your Majesty," Hermione interjected softly. "Please do forgive me for my interruption, but if you have come here to fight Harry's battles for him…"

This time James, interrupted. "Harry, doesn't know I'm here."

Hermione looked confused. "Oh."

James, glanced briefly towards the floor before continuing. "Miss Granger, I know that my son has hurt you, and when he told his mother and I what had happened between the two of you, we were very disappointed. We don't condone his actions, but the more I think about it, I cant help but feel like I should be taking at least some, of the responsibility."

"I don't understand," Hermione said quietly.

"I don't think I put quite enough trust in Harry," James admitted. "I certainly don't put in the amount he deserves. And I think that's had a negative effect on how he conducts himself sometimes."

The king took Hermione's silence as a sign to continue.

"Harry, has been betrayed and let down by numerous people, some of which, he thought he could entrust his life with. These incidents have lead me to become fiercely over protective of my son, Hermione. I took away too many important decisions from him, decisions that he himself should have been making," James, shook his head as he recalled the memories.

"It's understandable," Hermione said quietly. "I mean, parents only want what's best for you I suppose."

James, smiled at Hermione's attempt in making him feel less guilty. "Do you know what the worst thing is, Miss Granger?"

"Please, your Majesty," Hermione said. "Call me, Hermione."

James again smiled, and gave brief nod. "Very well, Hermione. Do you want to know what the worst thing is about the whole thing?"

Hermione nodded her head gently

"He never once complained," the king said simply.

Tears were slowly starting to form in Hermione's eyes, and the wall that she had spent the last few weeks trying to build around her heart after she and Harry broke up, was slowly starting to crumble.

James continued. "He never argued, he never asked for reason, he simply did what he was asked, and what was expected. Harry, never puts his feelings or his happiness before anyone else's. Apart from the odd time when he was a little boy jumping up and down on me begging me to take him flying or horse riding, I cannot pinpoint a single solitary moment, when he ever asked for anything."

Hermione hung on every word the king told her about his son, the man she was it finding virtually impossible to live without.

James looked at Hermione right into her glistening eyes. "Not even when he destroyed Voldermort, did he ask for anything in return."

Hermione was unable to stop the immense feeling of guilt that was filling up inside her. The king was regarded as one of the most noble, trustworthy and honest characters in the wizarding world, she doubted the things he was saying about his son were anything but the absolute truth.

For years after what happened at the palace, Hermione refused to view the Prince of Gryffindor as anything but a spoilt playboy, who thought of nobody else but himself. Harry was right, she had judged him having never even met him, and blamed him for years over something that wasn't even his fault. Yes, he had gone about things the wrong way, hiding his real personality, but it really now appeared that he didn't have any other choice. Had she met him as Harry, from the beginning, she wouldn't have given him a chance, her judgement of him wouldn't have let her even entertain the notion of getting to know him. She didn't stop to think about what his life had been really like, but now, with king James giving her a fairly good idea, finally, she allowed herself to.

It didn't take long for her to come to her conclusion. In all reality, Harry, the Prince of Gryffindor, was alone. Sure, he had his parents, but he had very few people he could trust. Harry wanted to spend his life with someone who he could love, and trust with his whole heart.

She didn't think that she could have been so wrong about someone.

The time that they had spent together, had been amongst some of the happiest that she had ever experienced, he had made her happy, made her feel things that she never thought possible, he made her feel complete. And, he wanted to marry her.

At this thought, Hermione's heart pounded against her chest. "What have I done?"

"Hermione," James interrupted her thoughts. "Would you answer something for me?"

"Yes," Hermione managed to choke out.

"Do you love my son?" James asked seriously.

Hermione glanced at the floor, and wiped away a few tears before facing the king, and nodding slowly. "Yes, your majesty," she spoke quietly. "Very much."

James nodded his head. "Then I'm asking you, please, don't continue to punish him. I know he hurt you, and he was wrong to do that, but these last few weeks I feel as though I don't know the man, my wife and I have raised."

Hermione would never forget the day she saw the King of Gryffindor look so vulnerable.

"What can I do?" Hermione asked, tears trickling down her face.

James took another step towards her. "Come back to Gryffindor with me."

****

Please read and review, it makes my day.

P.S. Thanks for all the well wishes, you guys are great!