Unofficial Portkey Archive

No love stories in the kitchen by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

No love stories in the kitchen

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters they are property of JK Rowling.

A/N: Here for you guys we have the next chapter!! Thanks to all of you!!! And thanks to Cheryl, my wonderful beta, too!! The merit of this chapter is hers for a big part!

Michou: Thanks, the support is always appreciated!

Miss Mione: Well, I am really happy it was perfect, but I hope this one is too!

Dolphingurl: Why disconcerting?

Babyhalo19: Yes, Italy is wonderful! Thanks for the support!

Jenny: Here for you the next chapter!!

Hermione Graner Potter: Thank you!!

Akjennymay9: Well, can you be angry at them for going to visit their friend (for Draco) and boyfriend (for Cho)? I think it's normal…maybe they have not the better timing, though. *smiles*

KypDurron: I'm happy you're enjoying this!

Heaven85: Well, there will be a bit more to go through before they will be finally together. This was one step.

Chapter Seven

"The "Garage" goes well"

Harry jumped out of bed and grabbed his silk dressing gown, putting it on quickly.

"Harry, luv, we are here," Cho said.

He swiftly moved to the entrance hall, while Hermione hastily dressed.

"Oh, what a good surprise," Harry said, internally he thought `You've really the worst timing in the world, my dear.'

"Well, I'll go and put this bottle in the kitchen." Draco said.

"No, don't worry, I'll do it myself." Harry replied, taking the Champagne bottle from Draco's hands. Harry couldn't risk his manager running into Hermione while going to the kitchen. Draco and Cho exchanged confused looks, as they shrugged off Harry's odd behaviour deciding to let it drop.

Harry artfully distracted the pair to the living room, giving Hermione just enough time to make good her escape from the flat unnoticed. As Hermione stealthily made her exit she took one last glance at Harry, he was kissing his fiancé. Harry knew Hermione might see the kiss, he sighed inwardly, but he had to keep up the façade. Again Hermione's heart broke, she ran down the steps tears falling freely. `What was I thinking,' she chided herself.

***

Later that afternoon Harry went to Hermione's dorm sporting a huge bouquet of red roses, yet once again she was not there. George took the roses from Harry and again failed to mention Harry's visit to Hermione.

***

Few days later, Hermione's parents came to visit and take a look at the restaurant.

"Nice place, I must say. It has a modern look, but it is nice." Robert commented, as he scrutinized the establishment.

"Thanks, we're really proud of the decor." Hermione replied sheepishly.

"Well, how about giving us a tour of the kitchen?" Anne asked.

"No problem. Please, follow me." her daughter replied.

While touring the facility, Robert took advantage of the situation by sampling a menu offering.

"Hmm…those meatballs are really tasty, my compliments!" Robert expressed smiling at this daughter proudly. Unfortunately, in his enthusiasm for seconds, Robert accidentally knocked over a nearby salt bowl covering the delicious meatballs. Hermione moved to dispose of the now ruined food, but became distracted with conversation and the meatballs remained on the counter.

Finally, the friend of Robert's they were waiting for arrived.

"Hey, Remus! It's good to see you after a so long a time!!" Robert said, hugging his old friend.

"Yeah, it really is." Remus Lupin said, while sitting at their table.

Enjoying pleasant conversation, Remus reached over to try one of the forgotten meatballs, despite being covered in salt, he thought they were absolutely marvellous. Quickly he devoured the entire bowl. Impressed with the restaurant and most likely swayed by great tasting meatballs, Remus committed to help with publicity for the restaurant.

Remus came through; the next evening the "Garage" was full to capacity. The clientele was diverse with famous and non-famous customers in attendance. Hermione and her partners were thrilled and overwhelmed at the same time. Not used to being this busy, two orders got lost in the chaos of the kitchen. The sheer volume was quickly becoming too much for the enthusiastic six, so Robert and Anne stepped in to help. Robert took a plate from the counter intending to deliver it to the appropriate table; however, he tripped on something causing the plate to slip from his hands landing squarely on the head of none other than hard-rocker bad girl, Pansy Parkinson.

One would think that the unfortunate accident would spell disaster for the fledgling restaurant as every newspaper covered the incident. However, the old adage `there is no such thing as bad publicity' rang true and the restaurant was flooded with requests for reservations. Robert and Anne were recruited to help every evening. Realizing that they just couldn't handle the volume of patrons, the partners decided to accept one reservation out of every two. The plan being that the rejected customers would keep trying and the establishment would be continually at capacity.

***

Cho seated herself at Harry's dining table; spread before her many, many bridal magazines, wedding planners and the like. She was determined; she and Harry were going to discuss their wedding plans. He had been evading her for days and tonight she was going to force the issue.

As predicted Harry attempted to brush her off. He didn't want to discuss it now maybe next week he tried to suggest. Cho put her foot down, "Why Harry? We have to start planning now to pull off a wedding in June. Everyone is expecting-" said Cho.

"Cho…" Harry started, he new he was being selfish and a coward. He had to do the right thing, restaurant be damned. "Cho…I can't marry you." he cast his eyes down to the table unable to look her in the eye.

"Why? What's wrong? Are you sick?" desperately asked Cho. `Oh God, I am such an arse' thought Harry, he answered, "No, no, I'm not sick…" taking a deep breath he finally spilled it, "I've fallen in love…with another woman."

"Harry, don't be silly. It must be nerves or tension from the upcoming wedding…"

"No, I'm sorry Cho. Its not like that I love her." he stated, both angry and ashamed. He didn't want to hurt Cho, but he wasn't about to let her belittle Hermione either.

"You just need some time to sort things out. We belong together Harry. We are perfect for each other. You'll see," advised Cho. She thought that Harry was just being stubborn so she decided to let things go, give him a little space. Harry would come to his senses soon enough. Cho was clearly in denial as she packed up her things to leave.

***

The next morning Cho decided to discuss the events of last night with Draco. As Harry began distancing himself from Cho, she unexpectedly turned to Draco for support; he had become her greatest confidant, more so than her girlfriends. She let herself into Draco's office without knocking, as was her habit, of course he was seated at his desk having already put in several hours that morning. He looked up and smiled, "Cho…what brings you here this morning. Harry's not-"

"I know," stated Cho, "that's why I'm here."

"What has he done now?" Draco cautiously asked. He held a mask of indifference on the outside, but on the inside he was torn up by her hurt expression.

"He…wants to call off the wedding." Cho paused trying to hold back tears, "He…he…says he's in love with another woman."

Without thinking, Draco left his desk and wrapped his arms around the distraught Cho. He wasn't really sure when he fell in love with her what he was sure of was that Harry did not deserve the wonderful, beautiful and exquisite woman that he now held tightly in his arms. `Stop thinking like that' Draco chastised. "Cho, do you want me to talk with him?" he reluctantly suggested.

"Would you really do that…for me?" choked out Cho.

"Of course, I'll try and knock some sense into him." Draco said, as he watched a slightly reassured Cho exit his office.

***

In his mind Harry had ended his engagement to Cho, even if she hadn't yet accepted it. He invited Hermione out for a drink he needed to see her again. They were walking down the street toward the bar, when Harry stopped suddenly rendering Hermione speechless with a passionate kiss. Oblivious to their surroundings the ardent couple failed to notice they had an audience. Cho casually making her way to the "Garden" came upon the snogging couple. The cold hand of reality slapped her hard in the face. With sudden clarity the overwrought Cho ran passed the couple desperately trying to hold back gut-wrenching sobs.

When she reached the "Garden" she immediately ran into the arms of a startled Draco. "Draco, I'm such a fool," she sobbed as he took in her tear-stained face.

"Shhhh, why is that?" Draco soothingly asked leading her to his office.

"I saw him…he never looked at me that way…he never kissed me like that. Oh, Draco, he was telling the truth, he is in love just not with me." Cho continued to sob, "He looked…so…happy, I know now that I can't make him happy. I have to give him up, I'm going back to Switzerland."

"Running away, are you?" her father chided, as he sauntered into the office.

"Yes, Father. I'm going back to Switzerland. My engagement with Harry is off. We were not meant to be." she replied wiping at her face while leaving the comfort of Draco's embrace.

"So…you're a quitter. If you were more like me, you would fight for what belongs to you," Mr. Chang replied scathingly to his only daughter.

"I could never be like you. You may call me a quitter, but I won't enter into a one sided marriage. This is my heart we're talking about father not some business transaction." Cho retorted harshly as she left the office with a somewhat confused yet curiously elated Draco hot on her heals.

***

Hermione sat with her mother mulling over her love problems. "I really don't know what to do. It is always one step forward and two back, with him." Hermione lamented.

"Oh Hermione luv, you deserve so much more. How could you fall for a man with a fiancé? Do you really want to be the mistress?" Anne sighed, "It may not be what your heart wants, but Hermione you have to let him go. If this Harry fellow truly loves you he will end his engagement regardless of his fiancé's father influence. You know…men can be pretty dense, just look at your father! If you only knew what we went through…how long it took him to notice me…"Anne concluded with a smile.

Hermione nodded, her mother was right, mother's were always right. She kissed Anne on the cheek "Thanks mum."

She then headed off to visit Chef Dumbledore at the institute. The partners had decided they needed the wise Chef's expertise at organization. After a pleasant visit, Hermione proposed a wager - at which tree would his dog stop? If she won the Chef would help with the "Garage" should he win Hermione would not disturb him anymore. With a trademark twinkle in his eye Chef Dumbledore accepted.

Hermione called the right tree, while the Chef chose the left. Hermione won as she had placed a plate of her special meatballs behind the right tree. "That my dear is called cheating," Dumbledore said smiling.

"I know, but I couldn't afford to loose," she replied grinning back.

***

As occurred every evening, Harry was working his culinary magic in the restaurant kitchen. After prepping the meals, he left the kitchen to tour the main dining room, as was tradition. The room was nearly empty save for an elderly couple enjoying their meal. He stopped to say hello and was asked to pose for a picture. Given Harry's level of fame this request was not uncommon.

"Thank you young man…but there's something missing…I know! The tuna!" the elderly lady enthusiastically exclaimed.

At this, Harry exploded and insulted the confused seniors.

"You know where you can put your frozen tuna…" Harry bellowed as he returned to the sanctity of his kitchen.

***

Harry and Draco were discussing the new restaurant the "Garage." They agreed to check out their latest competition. Draco called to reserve a table.

"I'm sorry, we're booked until the end of the month," Hermione lied.

"Till the end of the month, eh? Do you think it is true?" Harry questioned.

"No, I think it is a bluff" Draco replied.

Harry went to check it out for himself.

Ginny spotted him entering the restaurant, and quickly ran to the kitchen to alert Hermione.

"Hermione, hurry out of here! Harry has just entered!" Ginny excitedly informed.

She panicked, and hastily discarded her Chef's attire, then exited the kitchen. She sat at a random table, pretending to be a patron.

"Hermione! What are you doing here?" Harry asked.