Unofficial Portkey Archive

No love stories in the kitchen by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

No love stories in the kitchen

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters they are property of JK Rowling.

A/N: Hey my faithful readers, I hope you'll like this chapter. I just came back from seeing PoA and I'm quite pissed off right now. Don't misunderstand me, the movie was wonderful, it even respects the books more than the first two ones but I think they had made one of the most H/Hr books a R/Hr-ish movie. They even ruined the best H/Hr scene, the flight on Buckbeak, making Hermione hold herself on the animal instead than onto Harry, throwing away all the sweetness of the moment. And the hug she gave Ron after Buckbeak's execution, while crying…I hoped that with Cuaron as director, some blatant invented scenes would be spared to us…but it's obvious that in his new position Columbus can make even more damage, with Kloves too. I really hope JK will go for H/Hr in the end, so they will have to represent it, even against their will. What a sweet revenge that would be…*laughs evilly*. However, back on business, without the help of my wonderful beta Cheryl, I wouldn't have done this chapter this way, so if you like it, remember that she too deserves praises!

KypDurron: He will do that quite soon, be sure of that…

Akjennymay9: Read this chapter and you'll find out.

Michou: Well, he's a fool…but he will rehabilitate himself...

Creepy Susie: Well, everyone makes a mistake…let's give him the time to redeem!!

Thomas: Well, maybe the dress thing won't happen…but for the rest, in due time…

ShootingStar: I know, but he will be better…read this chapter, you'll start to see something…

Davaca: Yeah, I like cliffies…well, when I write them, that is…lol

Chapter Nine

"Changes"

Hermione quickly made her way to the "Garage" she wasn't sure what had happened, but Lavender's frantic voice unnerved her. Upon arrival she was stunned by the devastation, there was broken glass everywhere, the front door hanging by one hinge. "What happened?" Hermione voiced to no one in particular.

Fred spotted Hermione surveying the damage and made his way over to her. He carefully placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and replied, "Vandals."

"But…why?" asked Hermione trying to hold back tears as she leaned into Fred.

"Delinquents or maybe jealous competitors," offered George as he joined them.

"I don't understand, who would want to do this? Was anyone hurt?" asked Hermione.

"No, no one was here." replied George shrugging, "Could be anyone really, we are the place to eat."

At that comment, Hermione's heart began to pound, "My kitchen!" she screamed as she ran past Ron and Ginny sweeping up debris. Arriving at the kitchen entrance Hermione stopped dead in her tracks, Fred, George, Ron and Ginny right behind her. Hermione's eyes frantically scanned the area halting at the slowly opening wooden door. Emerging from the door was Lavender with a relieved look on her face, "They didn't find the cellar," she announced.

"The kitchen looks okay too," shared Hermione closing her eyes as waves of relief flooded through her, "We're still in business then."

***

Harry's pride continued to do battle with his heart and for now pride was winning. Hermione had proven to be a tough competitor, but that hadn't stopped Harry from thinking about her every moment he wasn't distracted by his work. On nights, when he actually slept Harry would dream that he was holding in is arms again the one woman to capture his heart. Harry was an unhappy man and everyone around him co-workers alike knew it. Harry was in a mood.

***

It was the beginning of summer, coincidentally one year since Hermione had ventured from her parents home to take the stage at the "Garden." Hermione found herself in the running for the Best Chef of the Year award with fellow candidate Harry Potter. The third nominee was Oliver Wood, owner and Chef of "The Starlight", a restaurant that catered to mostly younger patrons. The outcome was not as easy to predict as in previous years.

***

Harry and Hermione had not seen nor even spoken to each other in the last three months. The chefs worked diligently on their respective restaurants. Both were apprehensive about running into each other at the prestigious British Culinary Awards celebration.

Harry was a mess. His eyes were bloodshot, his tired face revealed the lack of sleep from which he was suffering. Harry didn't care how he looked anymore. Long gone was the bold and confident young man replaced with the sad and defeated man who had lost his love that fateful morning.

Hermione faired a little better, but not by much. She cried herself to exhaustion on the rare nights that she did find sleep. Through her sadness though Hermione was stubborn, she was not about to let one man chase away her dreams.

The provost of the Awards Committee opened the ceremony. The evening proved typical when the moment finally arrived to declare the award for Chef of the Year.

"And this year's winner is…Hermione Granger!" he shouted. Hermione couldn't believe it. She humbly approached the podium to receive her award a little weak in the knees. She won! The prize that for the last four years had been owned by Harry Potter was now hers! She accepted the award, thanked her parents for their support and nurturing. Hermione shared her victory with her partners, Ron, Ginny, Fred and George Weasley and Lavender Brown. She also thanked Harry Potter for giving her the opportunity to come to London and Chef Dumbledore for his patience and training.

Harry could not help but smile. He weakly tried to maintain his composure poorly faking shame at the defeat he had just suffered more for Mr. Chang's sake than his own. In the depths of his heart, he was really proud of Hermione and blushed when she thanked him too.

After the awards presentation, Hermione's friends cheered her all the way out the building. At one point George even pulled her onto his shoulders carrying her out of the room while Fred sprayed Champagne at the press covering the celebration. All of the `Garage' staff was engrossed in exalting their Chef. Hermione's parents attended too and were really proud of her.

When Hermione's entourage had finally exited the building Harry approached her. "Congratulations Hermione," he said, nervously as he glanced down at his feet.

"Thanks," she replied barely acknowledging him as she walked away.

Harry sighed as he shook his head in realisation, `It was final I lost her.'

***

One hour later, in Harry's office at the "Garden" a heated meeting ensued. "By a woman! A woman defeated you! Do you understand how much your reputation has been damaged? And my products as a reflex?" Mr. Chang was bellowing.

Draco shuddered. He knew that Mr. Chang was not a man to neither trifle with nor make angry if you knew what was good for you.

"Do you think I care about your bloody frozen tuna? The only thing I care about is my restaurant!" Harry forcefully retorted.

"You and your bloody restaurant are ruining me, boy! You haven't a clue about business and now it appears that you know very little about cooking, if you let yourself be dethroned by a mere woman!" Mr. Chang angrily ranted his face purple with rage as spittle flew from the corners of his mouth.

"It's not my fault! You have cut my food budget so deeply I am forced to buy sub-quality products!" Harry snapped.

The shouting match continued well into the night. When the enraged Mr. Chang finally stormed out of Harry's office, Draco turned to reason with Harry. "Harry, you should apologize. Without Chang's backing we will only be able to maintain the restaurant for a few days at the most," Draco pleaded, "Then we'll have to close."

"I refuse to apologize to that man. He doesn't deserve my apologies." Harry defiantly responded. "And don't you dare apologize for me either," he added, as if reading Draco's mind.

Draco sighed resignedly as he then left Harry's office. He needed see Cho before she left for Switzerland.

***

Draco entered Cho' house, she had given him a set of keys when Harry broke their engagement. Draco had been there to console her and in someway she felt he was the only friend she had. Draco having an extra set of keys helped her feel more secure.

He found her in her bedroom still packing. "Hey, Draco! What a surprise! I heard the award celebration didn't go very well." Cho said upon seeing him.

"You heard right, it was a disaster. That Hermione Granger, the Chef at the "Garage," beat out Harry for Chef of the Year. Then, he got into a very harsh shouting match with your father."

"Harry shouted at my father? Well, that's not good. I can only imagine how you must have felt trapped in the middle of that discussion. You look tense. Do you want me to give you a massage?" Cho softly suggested.

"Err, that would be nice…but, well, I can see that you're packing. I don't want to keep you-" Draco stammered as Cho stopped him by gently placing her dainty hand on his lips.

"Don't worry, I'm catching a later flight for Geneva. Come here let me give you a small massage." Cho offered again. Draco obliged and he had to admit that she definitely had skill. Soon he was very relaxed too relaxed maybe. Their faces were really close and he acted without thinking. He closed the gap, brushing his lips on hers. Cho found herself pleasantly surprised, she never knew Draco had feelings for her. She kissed him back boldly brushing her tongue on his lips asking for entrance and Draco responded. What started out as a chaste caress quickly developed into a passionate kiss until Draco suddenly broke away.

"I'm sorry, Cho. I don't know what got into to me…well, I really should go now…" he was stammering again as he quickly left. Cho sat there on her bed stunned two fingers caressing her swollen lips. She felt something wonderful while kissing Draco something she never felt with Harry. She was confused but she couldn't hold back a smile. Maybe Geneva could wait a little longer.

Draco was confused as well. For a long time he had wanted to kiss those beautiful full lips. But he had restrained, first because of Harry and then because she had decided to leave. Draco didn't want to be a complication. But today instead he went with his instincts…and she responded to him, she kissed him back. He didn't know what to think.

***

Since the awards celebration business for the "Garden" only got worse. The food budget was slashed again and the staff was forced to use leftover products. A frustrated Harry again blew up at Mr. Chang who only smirked saying nothing.

***

Hermione in the meantime was being named in all the important places in Europe. She was becoming a world-renowned chef something that had once only been a dream. Unfortunately, she discovered that her dream had changed. She now dreamed of working side by side with a green eyed, very handsome chef. Hermione's dream now included Harry.

Her father and her mother were extremely proud of her. Her friends were encouraging her. Yet she was haunted by the memory of how she felt when Harry congratulated her victory. Hermione had wanted to hug him and never again let him go but she didn't. She walked away.

A month had passed and Hermione and Harry had not spoken.

***

Harry was at the end of his rope; he just had another confrontation with Mr. Chang. Harry now realised that the man was intentionally cutting the oxygen to his restaurant. Mr. Chang was biding his time until the restaurant was losing so much money that he had the proper excuse to close it. Harry was determined; he would confront Mr. Chang.

Harry tackled Mr. Chang on the matter quickly. "Chang, you will reinstate the original budget of two months ago for restaurant operations. You will not refuse me. Since the beginning of this business relationship you have sacked the people I trusted most. Your tyranny stops now. I will not let you destroy my restaurant," demanded Harry.

"And what will you do, if I refuse you, Harry?" the man smirked, thinking that he had the upper hand. It was Harry's turn to smirk.

"Simple. I'll cancel the promos contract," Harry stated as he fiddled with a stack of papers. "…and I'll leave the `Garden'" he added.

"Ha ha ha…I would love to see you try," Mr. Chang goaded. He didn't believe Harry would have the courage to walk away from his beloved restaurant. But Mr. Chang underestimated the young man. Harry sneered as he tore up the contracts. Then he picked up his jacket.

"Good evening Mr. Chang," Harry said. As he walked out of the office Harry added, "You'll have to find some other fool to be your marionette because I'm not your fool anymore."

Mr. Chang was taken aback, the best spokes person for his frozen tuna had just walked out the door.

***

Two hours later, a knock was heard at the door of the "Garage." As Hermione opened the door she advised, "We are still closed, however, what can we do for you?" When she raised her eyes she gasped. Standing before her was Harry.