Unofficial Portkey Archive

No love stories in the kitchen by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

No love stories in the kitchen

Harry85

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters; they are property of JK Rowling.

A/N: Hey, my faithful readers! I'm here with a new chapter for you! I hope you'll like it, as finally Harry will find out…

Creepy Susie: Yes, I know, but Harry had never been in love before…give him the time to learn that if you love someone, it doesn't matter what he/she does in life…

Babyhalo19: Well, Cho fighting for Harry would mess things even more, you'll see why…it is not so easy for them even this way…

Michou: This chapter will be interesting, I'm sure…

HarryPotter's Chick: Thanks for the advice!

KypDurron: Yeah, the meatball thing was funny. However, he hasn't found out all yet…

Miss Mione: Well, let's say Mr. Chang can be really cruel. But Harry won't let himself be manipulated by him, be sure!

Readinggirl: Read this chapter and you'll find out!

Chapter Eight

"The truth comes out"

That was the question she was dreading. She was smart, though.

"Hey, Harry. I'm here with some friends," she lied, hoping the patrons would not let her down.

"Do you come here often? This is quite a trendy place, now…" he asked.

"Well, it could be trendy, but I don't much care for the cuisine," she affirmed. This was her subtle way of deterring Harry from coming back to the "Garage" and possibly discovering her secret before she was ready to reveal her true vocation.

The longer Harry stayed in the restaurant the more paranoid Hermione became. She was contemplating the best way to get Harry to leave, and then under the guise of going to the restroom she attempted to return to the kitchen to retrieve her purse. However, Harry followed taking her by the hand and detoured behind a conveniently placed column. Pressing Hermione against the column he passionately kissed her, devouring her willing mouth. As their tongues battled Hermione quickly abandoned all other thoughts focusing only on Harry. "Let's get out of here," she suggested attempting to catch her breath and he readily agreed.

As they exited the restaurant, Hermione glanced back and mouthed to a smiling Ginny, "Cover for me please."

On their way to Harry's flat, Hermione's passion quickly became clouded with apprehension. `What am I doing?' she thought, `He has a fiancé. I'm lying to him. I can't do this.' Before she new it, she was standing inside Harry's flat, his arms wrapped tightly around her waist as he placed loving kisses along her neck. "Harry..." she groaned. He ignored her capturing his lips with hers, "Harry." she moaned against his tantalizing lips and with difficulty she pulled away, "Harry...what about your fiancé? I want to be with you, but I don't want to be the other woman..." she trailed off, eyes cast to the floor.

Gently placing his hand under Hermione's chin, he pulled her face up to look her directly in the eyes, "Hermione, I ended my engagement. Cho...hasn't completely accepted that fact yet. But she'll have to, because I only want to be with you. I love you."

With her eyes filled with happy tears Hermione confirmed that she loved Harry too. Harry scooped Hermione up in his strong arms and carried her to bed they made love again. Sated beyond all comprehension they slumbered in blissful peace.

In the morning, Hermione woke first; she quietly watched her sleeping lover and was overcome with emotion. Making her way to the bathroom she caught sight of herself in the mirror. She couldn't help but smile, she radiated with the glow of being in love. "I have to tell him the truth...now is the time. I'm not being fair to him or me for that matter. Better he learn the truth from me than someone else. He loves me...he'll understand, if not then at least I've finally been honest. Its the right thing to do, I can't lie to him any longer." Summoning her resolve, she took in a deep breath, "Its now or never." she sighed as she opened the door.

"So, how long did you plan to lie to me? You said you were an art student, and instead, look at this newspaper!" Harry yelled at her, throwing it her way.

The secret of the "Garage" is out

By Rita Skeeters

The new restaurant, "The Garage", held a secret that had determined its success until now. It's talented and creative head chef, a beautiful young woman by the name of Hermione Granger. She hails from Barnsley, a small town in which her parents also run a successful restaurant. Miss Granger studied under Chef Dumbledore of the prestigious School of Haute Cuisine. She was also awarded a stage at the famous "Garden" restaurant. Under the tutelage of such renowned and accomplished Chefs as Albus Dumbledore and Harry Potter one really cannot be surprised by Miss Granger's achievement.

Accompanying the flattering article was a lovely picture of Hermione and her partners. She had been caught.

"Harry, I was going to tell you," she said, sadly.

"Why did you lie to me?" Harry asked, hurt evident in his voice. He didn't yell the question came out barely louder than a whisper.

"Because…I was afraid to loose you. You said you hate women chefs," she replied.

"It's true. Women can't be chefs. All the best chefs in the world are men except for one," Harry stated.

"Well, don't you think its time for a change!" Hermione retorted to Harry's chauvinistic statement. She dressed hastily and fled.

Harry was rendered speechless. He loved her; despite her deception his feelings had not changed. But could he trust her? Why did she have to be a chef? Harry, paralysed by conflicting emotions, merely stood by and watched the love of his life run out.

***

Slightly nervous and nearly overwhelmed by anger Harry stormed around his flat debating with himself. "How can a woman who says she loves me, lie to me?" he kept asking himself. Harry was in shock; this morning's happenings had thrown him. Finally he decided what he was going to do.

Harry went to his restaurant. To his dismay, fewer and fewer customers were present. He charged into Draco's office, "We need to destroy the `Garage.' Draco, do anything you want but destroy it." Harry ordered and then left for the kitchen to start the day's preparations.

***

That night, two acquaintances of Draco's, Crabbe and Goyle, broke into the "Garage" breaking glass and making a general mess. They also damaged the main entrance and service doors. The vandals were quite proud of their handy work as they left the demolished restaurant.

***

"Draco, are you thick? When I said destroy the "Garage" I meant stop them from getting supplies. Buy up the best produce; meats etc regardless of price, in order leave them with substandard choices. Not demolish the place, now the police will investigate, you prat!" Harry shouted after Draco apprised him of Crabbe and Goyle's escapades. Harry wanted to teach Hermione a lesson about the competitive nature of the restaurant business, not vandalism. He loved her more than anything but there was only room at the top for one and he was determined to stay there. Harry finished his tirade and stormed out of Draco's office running into Cho's father.

"Don't worry, sir. Harry was only joking about buying supplies regardless of price," Draco reassured Mr. Chang.

"It didn't seem that way," Mr. Chang replied sternly.

"Don't worry sir, I'll reason with him. He'll come around." Draco replied.

"You better succeed. And Malfoy…if business doesn't pick up soon, I will close the restaurant. Also you would be wise to counsel Potter to NOT drive away the few patrons we have left with insults," ordered Mr. Chang as he left. Mr. Chang was now majority owner of the "Garden" and he called the shots. The only reason he became financially involved in the restaurant was because of Cho and her relationship with Harry. True there were the financial benefits to doing business with the famous Harry Potter as his promotion of the tuna products had translated into significant profits. However, Mr. Chang had no intention of sitting idly by while Harry wasted money. The young chef still had a great deal to learn.

Draco was at a loss. He couldn't quite grasp why Harry would throw away his career for a woman. Draco was glad that Harry found a new love but still business was business. Draco was also glad that Cho too was now free and perhaps in time he could turn their friendship into something more.

***

Harry was a wreck, although deeply in love with Hermione, he struggled with forgiving her deception. To further his torment, she was an accomplished chef and competitor; he had sworn that he would never get involved with a female chef. Harry dealt with his frustrations by immersing himself completely in is work. He created new and inventive dishes, however, the customers still stayed away. Harry's restaurant was famous and still considered one of the top fine dining establishments. Unfortunately even the best chef in Britain was challenged to compete with trendy less expensive places such as the "Garage." Logic dictated that the average consumer would follow the trends.

***

The "Garage" was now one of the top three restaurants in all of Britain. Hermione's fame and popularity increased with every favourable review.

Hermione's parents returned to Barnsley, contented to leave her in the spotlight. Well, it seemed that way. Actually, Robert and Anne remained secretly in town to enjoy a holiday.

Only, their secret was discovered when they were robbed. The police notified Hermione, so she knew they were still there in London. "You two could have told me you were still in the town. I would have not spoiled your holiday," she said, offended.

"I know you wouldn't, Hermione" Robert said.

"But we wanted some time for ourselves, the last time we conceded ourselves a holiday had been years ago…" Anne continued.

"And here we felt like we were teenagers again. It had been wonderful, walking under the moonlight…" Robert added with a dreaming expression, while pulling Anne closer to him.

"So good that you got carried away and didn't notice that while you were in the bathtub, someone entered your room to steal from you" Hermione concluded sarcastically.

"Well, that had been the only problem," Robert replied, his expression darkening. "Apart from that, I would do it again," he said, smiling at his wife. Anne smiled at him too.

Hermione laughed at her parents' antics, shaking her head. `These two are unbelievable,' she thought.

A good laugh was just what she needed after the fight with Harry. Their fledgling romance was over, Hermione was sure. She had hurt him beyond redemption no apology could make amends. She still loved Harry, but she was not prepared to renounce her dreams to satisfy his ego. If he really loved her, he would have to understand.

Hermione was shaken out of her daydream by the ringing of her mobile, "Hello," pause "Lavender, calm down, I'll be right there."

***

Meanwhile, Harry continued along his path to business ruin. His latest dishes were his best yet, however, these accomplishments were not translating into profits. Missing Hermione drove him propelled him creatively, yet he was suffering. He was in love, for the first time in his life, but pride prevented him from reaching out to her. Harry was proud of Hermione's success and jealous at the same time. He mused, `Should I go to her? Apologise? What for? I'm the one wronged…on the other hand; I drove her to lie telling her I didn't date female chefs. What do I do?'