Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: I quite honestly think I've never been so busy in my life. Thank God for Thanksgiving and getting some time away from college, work, and all of the papers and projects I have to get done. I've finally taken some time to continue my work on this fic, and look, I have yet another chapter ready to go. I hope you enjoy it and thank you for all of your great reviews!

CHAPTER TEN

APPARITION LESSONS

Errol eventually arrived with Harry's gift from Mr. and Mrs. Weasley after he and Hermione had returned from the Dursleys. It was a motorcycle helmet with lightning bolts on either side of it, prompting Harry to give a small smile. For his last birthday, Lupin had given him Sirius's flying motorcycle, which Harry and Ron attempted to take a ride on while they were at the Burrow. Mrs. Weasley had caught them and ended up having an emotional row with her children. Harry assumed the helmet symbolized her acceptance of the bike with the hopes that he would try to remain safe while on it. She didn't have to worry; it was safely tucked away at Grimmauld Place.

Hagrid had sent Harry a present too, which he received by the end of the day. It was a funny looking necklace that had animal teeth and little charms with gems encrusted into them.

"It's a talisman," Hermione had explained to him. "For protection."

"Does it work?"

"No idea."

That evening, Harry set about writing letters to everyone, thanking them for his gifts. Then he sent Hedwig off with the letters, who seemed grateful to have something to do.

Just before he was settling in for bed, there was a knock on his door. "Come in," he called.

Hermione walked in, wearing pajamas. "Hi," she said.

"Hi," he said back.

"Are you okay?" she asked him.

He nodded. "Yeah. I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," he responded, offering her a smile. "Are you okay?"

"Me?" she asked. "Yes, I'm alright."

"Okay."

"Er-I'll see you in the morning then, Harry," she said quietly.

"Good night," he murmured.

"Happy birthday."

"Thanks."

She flipped the light off for him as he crawled underneath the covers and yawned. He heard his door close quietly and silently hoped that Hermione would have pleasant dreams. Then, he felt his comforter lift slightly as the mattress sank, arms wrapping around his waist and a body pressing against his back. He craned his neck and saw the outline of bushy hair behind him.

"Hermione?" he mumbled.

"Hold me," she whispered. "I feel safe when I'm with you."

He rolled over to face her and complied, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her tightly against him. He breathed in her scent and dropped a kiss on the top of her head.

He knew very well why she was doing this. It wasn't for herself, but he let her pretend that it was anyway.

"Sleep well, Hermione," he murmured. "No dreams tonight."

*****

The next morning found Harry and Hermione riding the Underground into London. They exited and walked a mere third of a mile to the Leaky Cauldron, where they entered and then exited into the alley. Harry got out his wand, tapped the brick that opened the archway, and then they were walking briskly down Diagon Alley, searching for the old Planter's Magical Flower Shop.

"The flyer says it is right next to Ollivander's," Hermione said.

Sure enough, a worn down shop next to Ollivander's wand shop had a crooked sign bearing a large "P" on it with a rose. They peered inside the windows as they walked past to the door.

"Hey, I think that's Justin Finch-Fletchley," Harry said.

"And I think I see…is that Neville?" Hermione asked.

Harry opened the door for her and looked inside. Indeed, Neville Longbottom stood against the wall of the shop, tapping his foot nervously. Harry and Hermione walked over to greet him.

"Hey Neville! I didn't know you'd be here," Harry greeted jovially.

"Oh! Hi Harry! Hi Hermione!" he replied with a slight squeak in his voice.

"Neville, are you alright?" Hermione asked.

He cleared his throat. "Yeah, fine. I'm just nervous, that's all. Gran didn't want to teach me how to Apparate. She said it would be better for a Ministry approved professional to do it. It's going to be bad enough when I lose my leg-I don't want to lose my whole lower half!"

Hermione put a comforting hand on Neville's shoulder. "It will be alright. You'll see."

He gave her a disbelieving look. Harry glanced over at the door as Dean Thomas, another classmate of theirs, walked in. He waved and motioned Dean to join them.

"Hello!" Dean said excitedly. "Having a nice summer?"

"Yeah," Harry replied with a smile. "It's been good for the most part."

"That's good," Dean said, turning to Neville. "Hey, Neville…what are you doing here? You're not a Muggle-born." His eyes widened. "Did something happen to your grandmother?"

Neville shook his head. "She just doesn't want to teach me how to Apparate."

"Rough luck. Well, you'll have us then."

"That's right," Hermione said.

"Seamus is learning from his mum," Dean told them. "He said his mum would teach me too, but things got canceled when his uncle died."

Hermione looked alarmed. "His uncle died? When? What happened?"

Dean shrugged. "Earlier this month is all I know. Apparently he unwittingly drank poison while in a drinking contest. Seamus said it was probably somebody he owed money to that did it. Stupid blighter was a gambler-at least, that's what Seamus told me."

"That's still awful," Hermione said.

Dean nodded. "So," He shuffled his feet, "how's Ginny doing?"

Harry saw Neville frown out of the corner of his eye.

"She's alright," Hermione told him.

"Well, as alright as a person can be after a Death Eater kills their brother," Harry added.

"Right," Dean replied softly, his eyes wandering to his shoes.

Neville checked the time impatiently. "When is our teacher going to arrive?"

As if right on cue, an elderly man with a cane entered the shop. He was completely bald except for a thin white moustache just above his upper lip. He looked as if he used to be fit, but in his old age he let his physique slip away. His eyes were a cloudy gray that looked confused. Harry privately wondered if this man was senile. As he walked, Harry noticed that his hand shook violently when he lifted it to move his cane.

"Good morning," the old man said in a quavering voice. His bottom lip trembled as spoke while he walked towards the center of the shop. "My name is Edgar Farr and I will be your Apparition teacher."

The students looked at each other warily. They couldn't have picked someone else to teach these lessons?

"Let's get started immediately." He coughed. "We only have ten days to complete this course.

"Stand apart please. You will need a lot of room for this."

Harry, Hermione, Neville, and Dean took several steps from each other until they had what they figured to be enough room. Justin Finch-Fletchley caught Harry's eye from across the room and gave a nod in greeting.

Farr was speaking again. "Now, you must remember, your focus determines your destination. That is the key to Apparition. You must see where you are going in your mind's eye. Mutter your destination if you must, but soon you'll be able to Apparate in the blink of an eye. Just remember to focus while you're doing it!"

His zeal of the word "focus" reminded Harry strongly of Moody's fondness for the phrase "constant vigilance."

"We're not actually going to Apparate today. It is far too soon. No, instead we are going to broaden our minds and get our imaginations working." He smiled. It was a crooked smile and Harry noticed that a few of Farr's teeth were missing.

"I have an activity for us to start with to get our imaginations warmed up." He hobbled slowly over to an old counter with cabinets underneath it. "Anyone want to take as guess as to what's in here?"

"A boggart?" said a nonchalant voice from the other side of the shop. Harry looked over and saw that the speaker was Blaise Zabini, a Slytherin in his year whose brother had been murdered the previous school year by Joaquin Crow. Blaise was the son of two Squibs, which explained his presence in the shop.

"Indeed!" Farr said, delighted. "Now everyone, line up! When you come forth to face the boggart, I'd like for you to tell me your name, please."

Harry joined Hermione as everyone began to form a line. Hermione had her eyes closed tightly and her brows furrowed. Harry wondered why.

Harry also wondered what his boggart would be now. It had always taken the shape of a dementor, however, he wondered if he feared something more than a dementor now. He knew he did and part of him hoped that it would not be reflected by the boggart. He decided to try to focus on the dementor.

Justin was the first in line and gave his name to Farr.

"Nice to meet you, Justin. Are you ready to face the boggart?"

Justin got out his wand, but gulped just the same. "I guess."

Farr opened the cabinet and a vampire stepped out of it. It didn't look anything like the vampires that Harry had run across during the previous year. Instead, it looked more like the depictions of what Dracula looked like in old movies. Justin stepped fearfully back.

"Come on, boy, you must have learned how to repel a boggart," Farr said. "Use your imagination."

Justin closed his eyes tightly and pointed his wand at the vampire. "Riddikulus!" he shouted and suddenly, the vampire sprouted corks on his fangs. The students around him chuckled.

"Good enough, good enough," Farr murmured. "Next!"

Neville stepped forward. "Erm-Neville Longbottom, sir," he introduced.

"Longbottom? I know your grandmum. She's a nice lady," Farr said and then motioned towards the boggart. "Well, have at it."

Neville eyed the boggart warily. Suddenly, it morphed into the woman that Harry hated most: Bellatrix Lestrange.

Harry felt a hand slide into his, which he was just about to clench. Looking away from Neville and Lestrange, he saw Hermione glancing over her shoulder at him. She gave his hand a comforting squeeze.

Neville held up his wand, his face red. "Riddikulus!" he yelled and suddenly, Lestrange turned into a blubbering mess, her eyes transfixed and foaming at the mouth. Neville recoiled at the sight while the other students laughed, and Harry knew why. His parents, while not foaming at the mouth, were much like what Neville had turned Lestrange into.

Hermione caught onto this as well as she put a comforting hand on Neville's shoulder as he turned and walked towards the back.

"Interesting, interesting," Farr murmured as Neville walked away. He then cleared his throat. "Next!"

It was Hermione's turn. She stepped forward. "My name is Hermione Granger, sir," she told Farr.

"A pleasure, my dear," he said and then glanced over at Harry-and then did a double take. "Er-take it away, my dear."

She nodded and focused hard on the boggart. Harry watched her closely. The boggart then changed into Professor McGonagall, showing her a paper marked with a large "T." Hermione, Harry noticed, seemed to look relieved.

"Riddikulus," she said confidently, her wand pointed at the boggart. Professor McGonagall's robes changed into a nightgown of deep purple. The students roared in laughter at the sight of the usually strict Transfiguration professor looking as such.

"Well, well!" Farr said, highly amused. "Very good."

Harry gave Hermione a high five as she walked by, still laughing. "Good one."

"Next!"

Harry stepped forward. "Harry Potter, sir."

Farr nodded. "Oh yes, Mr. Potter, I know who you are. Let's see what kind of an imagination you have."

Harry got out his wand and focused on the boggart, willing it to turn into a dementor. He couldn't have been more relieved when it did, and with a smirk, he uttered,
"Riddikulus!"
and watched as the dementor, who had been sucking all of the warmth out of the air, suddenly choked and then tripped on its black robes. The students laughed. None of them would ever see a dementor, even if it was a fake one, act in this manner.

"Excellent, excellent. Well done, Mr. Potter!" Farr praised as Harry joined Hermione and Neville at the back of the room. "You do have an imagination, I'll say."

The class continued on until everyone had faced the boggart. Then, Edgar Farr had them all do a sort of meditative exercise where they imagined different locations that they would like to Apparate to, or would Apparate to often in their lives. He finished the day with a lecture on the dangers of Apparition that turned somehow into a Public Service Announcement about why witches and wizards shouldn't drink and Apparate.

"Not that any of you drink," he added with a wink.

As they walked out, each of them paid the fee of the class and then continued on their way. Harry and Hermione opted to get lunch at the Leaky Cauldron and invited Neville and Dean to join them, who gladly accepted. They spent the time eating and discussing Apparating and their instructor, among other things.

*****

The next day involved Farr going over the basic instructions on how to prepare for Apparition.

"Step One: Determine where you are going. Step Two: Focus on your destination. Step Three: Continue focusing on your destination. Step Four: Imagine your whole body at that destination. Step Five: Twist your body slightly to the right while still focusing on your destination! If all goes well, you'll end up at your intended destination." He learned forward on his cane. "Personally, I'd like to add a Step Four and a Half: Believe you can do it. If you can imagine it, focus on it, and believe that you can do, then you will." He clapped his hands together as the students stared, mystified and apprehensive. "So, let's try it, shall we?"

Harry and Hermione gave each other nervous glances.

"I want you to Apparate a foot in front of you, okay? Remember: Determine, focus, focus, imagine, and twist! Ready? All together now on the count of three. One-two-three!"

Harry closed his eyes and tried to focus on the spot ahead of him as Farr spoke and when he said "three," Harry twisted his body slightly to the right, but nothing happened. Nothing happened to anyone. Everyone stayed exactly where they are. All of them looked around, disappointed.

"No matter, no matter. It never happens on the first try. If it had, I would have been flabbergasted," Farr said, hobbling into the center of the room. "Let's try again. Everyone, determine your destination-one foot in front of you. Focus on it. Really focus on it. Now, imagine yourself going to that spot. Can you imagine that? Now, on three, twist your body slightly to the right."

Harry stared at the spot on the floor, focusing so hard he felt like he could burn a whole through the floor with his eyes. He imagined himself moving to where his eyes were looking.

"Ready?" Farr asked. "Get ready-one-two-three!"

Harry twisted his body slightly to the right-nothing happened, again. He sighed. Looking around, he saw that once again, nobody had moved.

Farr seemed to be amused. "It will take several more tries, trust me. You've got to believe that you can do it! Let's try it again."

And so they did. Over and over until Harry found himself to be mentally exhausted from focusing so much on a spot just a foot ahead of him. A glance over at Hermione told him that she was equally as frustrated.

Nobody Apparated that day, nor the next, although towards the end of class on Sunday, Harry did hear a loud CRACK and looked over to see who had done it. It was a girl that he recognized to be a Ravenclaw, only she hadn't Apparated. Not fully, at least. She had left half of her right arm behind. Harry cringed.

"Thank Merlin I'm trained to undo these horrible incidences," Farr said, waving his wand over the girl. Instantly her arm was restored to her. "That was very good though, my dear. Very good. Progress," he announced. "We're making progress."

*****

On Tuesday, Farr brought in hoops for them to focus on, which seemed to do the trick for Hermione; she Apparated into the hoop that very day-her whole body. She left nothing behind.

"Wonderful!" Farr yelled. "Wonderful! Our first true success! Congratulations Miss Granger, you've just Apparated!"

Hermione blushed, but seemed very pleased. From then on, she was able to Apparate into the hoop, each time getting better and better at it. Farr eventually moved the hoop and gave her the tasks of Apparating around to different locations within the shop, before having her Apparate outside on Wednesday. By then, several more had Apparated into their hoops. Harry finally did it towards the end of class that day.

It felt like he was being squeezed on all sides into a tiny hole. It was highly uncomfortable, but Hermione told him that she was already getting used to it, which made Harry feel slightly better.

From then on, Harry worked on catching up to Hermione, which was nearly impossible; however, he was the student that made the most progress on Thursday, Apparating everywhere he could, including outside and as far away as Gringotts before Apparating back.

"You see?" Farr yelled as students Apparated around him. "It's easy once you get the hang of it! It becomes second nature!"

Neville was one of the few who had yet to Apparate by the time Thursday's class had ended. He walked out of the shop ahead of Harry and Hermione, looking dejected.

Hermione sent a pitying glance at Harry and then motioned towards Neville with her head. Harry got her gist loud and clear. He sped forward to catch Neville, Hermione right on his heels.

"Hey Neville! Hermione and I were thinking of going over to Florean Fortescue's ice cream parlor and spending an indecent amount of sickles there. Want to join us?"

He shook his head. "I wouldn't be any fun. You two go on without me."

"Oh, come on, Neville," Hermione coaxed. "We'll even buy."

"Actually, I'll be the one buying," Harry said, sending a sideways glance at Hermione.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "You don't have to be a gentleman all the time, Harry."

"It's my nature," Harry chimed back.

"Come on, Neville. Please?" Hermione gave him a hopeful look.

Neville sighed. "Alright. I'll join you."

"Great!" Harry said, grinning. He guided them over to Fortescue's shop. "What's your flavor?"

"Er-chocolate and raspberry swirl," he replied.

"Really?" Hermione said, taking interest. "I think that's Ginny's favorite as well."

Neville blushed. Hermione grinned.

Fortescue was outside his shop, where he had all of his tables set up. Harry, Hermione, and Neville joined the line that had formed since the students had been released from their Apparition lessons. When they approached Fortescue, he beamed at them.

"Harry Potter!" he said happily. "It's been awhile since I last saw you!"

"Yes, sir," Harry said. "But I remembered everything you told me about medieval wizarding history and used it on my exams."

He laughed. "Good to know that I can pass on information to the young."

Harry grinned. "How have you been, sir?"

"Oh, not as good as the old days, of course, seeing as there's a war going on. What flavors can I get you lot anyway?" he asked.

They quickly asked him for the flavors that they desired before Harry asked him, "Are you worried?"

"I'd be stupid if I weren't worried, Mr. Potter," Mr. Fortescue said. "And I'd be stupid if I stayed here."

Harry blinked in surprise. "What d'you mean?"

"I can't stay here anymore," he said, leaning forward conspiratorially. "Not with You-Know-Who and his followers killing people left, right, and center. No, I'm getting out of here." He looked around. "Can you and your friends keep a secret, Mr. Potter?"

He nodded. "Certainly."

Mr. Fortescue leaned in even closer to the trio. "I'm leaving for Iceland soon. If You-Know-Who is trying to take over the world, I don't expect him to try to take over Iceland for awhile. I'll be safer there than I will here."

"So you're running?" Harry asked.

"It's the smart thing to do," Fortescue said. "A lot of witches and wizards are doing it. Maybe you should think about it yourself, Mr. Potter."

Harry frowned and shook his head. "I'd rather go down fighting than run forever," he said.

Mr. Fortescue gaped at him, and then straightened. "You're a brave young man, Mr. Potter. Good luck to you, then." He handed over their ice cream cones. "It's on the house."

"Thank you," Harry said, "and good luck to you as well."

He led Hermione and Neville away. When they found a spot and sat down, he said, "That man may know a lot about wizarding history, but I don't agree with running away."

"It's fight or flight, Harry," Hermione said simply. "Some people will see it your way and some people will see it his."

Harry shook his head. "How was your birthday, Neville?" he asked their silent friend, changing the subject. After learning who else the prophecy could have affected, Harry found it hard to forget that Neville's birthday was just a day before his.

"Er-it was fine. My relatives came over, as usual. It wasn't anything special."

Hermione gave him a skeptical look. "You're seventeen. Certainly that alone made it special."

Neville gave a noncommittal shrug.

Hermione sighed. "Cheer up, Neville. Things will work out fine. You'll see."

"How do you know? You're great at everything and don't have to work at it," he said grumpily.

"That's not true," Hermione said. "If I didn't have to work at it, I would never study and I would never practice. What's on your mind?"

"What?"

"What are you worried about?" she asked him.

"Nothing," he said, a little too quickly. "I'm not worried about anything."

"Nothing's distracting you?" she asked.

"No. Nothing."

"Your grandmother? Hogwarts? The war?" Hermione pressed.

"No! None of those," he said. "I-I don't want to talk about it."

Harry frowned. "We're only trying to help, Neville."

"I know." He sighed and got up. "I told you I wouldn't be much fun. I'd better go now."

"Neville…" Hermione started.

He shook his head. "No, I have to go. Thanks for the ice cream." He frowned. "Bye."

Both Harry and Hermione frowned too. "Bye, Neville," they said in unison.

After he left, Hermione shook his head. "He's so depressed."

"About what?" Harry wondered.

"There could be several reasons," Hermione said. "We'll have to find out."

"How?"

She gave him a pointed look. "By talking to him, of course. By getting him to open up about what's wrong. It's hurting his Apparating abilities."

"That won't be easy."

Hermione took a bite out of her cone. "We have to try."

*****

Neville appeared to be avoiding them on Friday. Hermione, however, would not be deterred from her quest. She marched right over to him before the start of class and gave him a cheerful, "Hi!"

"Hullo, Hermione," he said quietly.

"Lovely morning, isn't it?" she asked him, smiling.

"I guess."

Hermione switched gears. "I received an owl from Ginny yesterday-she asked me to tell you she says hi."

"She…she did?" Neville stammered.

"Yes, she did, and she wishes you the best of luck in these Apparition classes. She knows it isn't easy. She's been watching Ron all summer try to do it."

"Ron can't Apparate yet either?" he asked her.

"I guess not. Neither of them have mentioned him actually doing it. It takes time and practice. Anyway, she wanted me to tell you that, and that she's looking forward to seeing you again on the Hogwarts Express."

"Really? Sh-she said that?"

Hermione nodded and glanced over as the door opened and Edgar Farr walked in. "Class is about to start, so I better get into a good spot. See you later, Neville!"

When she rejoined Harry, he leaned over and whispered playfully, "You little liar."

She shrugged. "He needs to get his mind off of his problem with Apparating. I thought Ginny would be a good distraction. You know how much he fancies her."

He nodded. "We better be careful, though. I don't want to see him get hurt. He's a friend."

She turned her head slowly towards him. "He's my friend too," she whispered fiercely. "I don't want him to get hurt either, but I truly believe that this will help him concentrate!"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry," he said, holding up his hands in a defensive gesture.

"Class!" Farr called. "Let's get started! There is still so much work we can do in these last two days we have together. There is so much more practice you still need. So, we'll jump right in, okay?" He hobbled with his cane over towards the window and looked outside. "Today's goal is to Apparate outside Diagon Alley. Today, I want you to try to Apparate to the Ministry of Magic."

Harry saw a few of his classmates gulp.

Farr turned back to his class. "Imagine it. Imagine yourself Apparating inside the Ministry of Magic. Even if you've never been inside, focus on the thought of the Ministry. If you truly focus on it, you'll get there." He looked around and then smiled, giving them a short nod. "Off you go."

Harry stared ahead blankly, picturing the pristine floor of the Ministry's Atrium and the golden fountain in his mind. He could see the fireplaces and the information desk. He thought about landing right next to the fountain. If he made it, he'd drop a galleon into the water. Focusing hard on the spot he wanted to go to next to the fountain, he twisted slightly to the right…

He felt as though he were being compressed and slid through a tube. And he felt like he was traveling several miles per second. Suddenly, the compressed feeling ceased with a CRACK and he found himself standing next to the fountain inside the Ministry of Magic's Atrium. Grinning to himself, he pulled a galleon out of his pocket and dropping it into the water.

Time to go back, he thought, concentrating hard on the flower shop. He twisted and, after a moment, found himself back inside the flower shop. He grinned again.

Hermione suddenly Apparated right next to him. He grinned at her. "Did you make it?"

She nodded. "You?"

"Yeah."

She smiled. "Great."

They glanced over when they heard a loud CRACK. Neville was standing inside of one of the hoops, looking as though a miracle had just occurred.

Harry laughed. "Look at that…it worked!"

Hermione had a rather smug look on her face. "I knew it would."

All Harry could do was chuckle.

Hermione scanned the room and then looked up at Harry. "Class ends tomorrow," she said.

"Yeah?"

"The test is Sunday."

Harry nodded. "I know."

"I can't take it."

Harry knew that too. She wasn't allowed to take the test until she turned seventeen.

"Do you want to go to the Ministry and get tested?" Hermione asked him.

He thought about it for a moment and then decided. "No. Not if you don't get to. I'll wait until they do the testing in Hogsmeade."

She stared at him. "Are you sure?"

He gave her a smile and nodded. "Positive."

*****

Edgar Farr shook both Harry and Hermione's hands after the last day of class, calling them spectacular and claiming that they both would pass their tests with flying colors.

"It has been a pleasure to instruct you," he said and then let them leave.

When they arrived back at the Granger home, Pigwidgeon was fluttering about Hermione's bedroom with a letter tied to his leg.

"What has Ron sent us?" Hermione murmured as she untied the letter and began to read it. Harry quickly jumped behind her so that he could read over her shoulder.

Harry and Hermione-

Mum and Dad have finally said that you can come and stay with us! It really didn't take a whole lot of convincing. Mum's been running around, trying to prepare rooms for both of you. Yep, that's right, you won't have to bunk with either me or Ginny anymore! Great, right? Write back quickly! Ginny wants to have you over by tomorrow (since it's her birthday) and Dad is willing to come and get you. I have no idea how, though. I don't think it will be by car. That will take too long. Maybe he'll get an emergency Floo network set up to Hermione's house. Or maybe he'll just commission a portkey. Who knows. Anyway, write back!

Ron

"Tomorrow?" Harry stared at the letter. "They want to pick us up tomorrow?"

"I'll have to ask my parents the moment they return home and then we'll have to spend the rest of the evening packing," Hermione said.

"Or we could pack now in anticipation that your parents will say yes," Harry suggested.

"We could," Hermione agreed.

So they packed. It didn't take Harry nearly as long as it took Hermione; he ended up helping her once he was done, although she kicked him out of her room once it was time for her to pack her undergarments.

When Mr. and Mrs. Granger arrived home a little after 5:30, Hermione bounded down the stairs after hearing the front door close, Harry right on her heels.

"Mum! Dad! I have a question to ask you," Hermione said, catching her breath after running down the stairs at top speed.

Mrs. Granger eyed her daughter in concern. "Yes, dear, what is it?"

Hermione brandished Ron's letter. "Ron invited us to the Burrow for the rest of the summer. His parents would like us to come."

Mrs. Granger could not hide the disappointment on her face. "Did he? That's lovely."

Mr. Granger leaned back against the arm of the couch. "And, of course, you two would like to go?"

"Well, yes," Hermione said. "We'd like to do anything we can to help the Weasleys regain some sense of normalcy in their lives."

Mrs. Granger sighed. "Of course. I can't imagine what they're going through. When would they like to pick you up?"

Hermione glanced away from them before murmuring, "Tomorrow."

Mr. Granger's eyes went wide. "Wow."

Mrs. Granger seemed to be panicking. "Tomorrow? That soon? Oh my…we…you…"

Hermione frowned and stared down at her shoes. "We're already packed."

"You are?" Mrs. Granger stared at them, dumbfounded. Then she slumped down onto the couch. "Well, then, I guess there really isn't anything to worry about, is there."

Hermione walked over and embraced her mother. "Oh, Mum, I know you wanted me to stay for the entire summer, but the Weasleys really need us. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't go."

She gave a small smile to her daughter. "I understand. I raised you too well."

Hermione laughed. "You did." She glanced up at her father. "You both did."

Harry watched Hermione's family moment from the archway in between the sitting room and the foyer. He felt a pang of loss at what he could have had and tried to bury it deep within him, but seeing Hermione's father walk over and give his daughter a hug was a bit too much for him. He had to get away.

Harry walked back up to his bedroom and sat down on the floor next to his trunk. He grabbed a piece of parchment, a quill, and an ink bottle before setting to work on writing a letter to Ron, telling him that he could arrive tomorrow to pick them up. Hedwig had just taken off on her way to Ottery St. Catchpole when Hermione knocked on the door.

"Are you okay?" she asked when he opened up the door.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

She shifted uncomfortably. "Because you left."

"Oh." He shrugged. "I figured that you and your parents would want a moment alone."

He could tell that the lie had not succeeded. "Oh, Harry, I'm so s-" He held up his hand to stop her.

"No. Don't be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry about. It's not your fault that you have parents and I don't. It's not your fault that you can have those little family moments and I can't. I don't want you to be sad or pity me. I don't want you to feel sorry for me."

She said nothing. Instead, she crossed the room and wrapped her arms around him. He held onto her for a long time before touching his lips to her cheek and releasing her. "I sent a letter to Ron, letting him know that they can pick us up tomorrow."

"Okay. When are we going to tell him?"

He sat down on his bed. "About us? I don't know. Probably the first good minute we have alone with him."

"I'm sure that will take all day. Ginny won't leave us alone with him for very long."

Harry nodded. "But I think we owe it to Ron to tell him first before we tell Ginny."

"So we are going to tell Ginny?"

"Do you think she can keep it a secret?" Harry asked.

"She's not a gossip, Harry. If we asked her to, she wouldn't tell anyone."

"Okay."

"Come on," she said, taking his hand in hers. "Mum has insisted on having a huge dinner as a send off for us. It would be a shame to miss it."

He smiled. "I'm right behind you."

*****

Harry woke up to the sound of Hermione tapping on his door. He snagged his watch and checked the time; it was just after 9:00.

"The shower is free if you want it!" Hermione called through the door. Moments later, Harry heard her bedroom door close.

Harry rolled out of bed and made his way over to the bathroom where he showered, shaved, and brushed his teeth. By the time he got dressed and made his way downstairs, it was nearly 10:00.

"Any sign of Hedwig?" he asked Hermione when he sat down at the table for breakfast.

"No. Perhaps the Weasleys just decided to keep her at the Burrow, considering we'll be there soon enough."

"How are they arriving?" Mr. Granger asked.

"No idea," Harry said. "We'll know when they arrive."

After breakfast, Harry and Hermione went back up to her room to double check that they had packed everything they needed for the school year. The guest room was completely empty, except for Harry's trunk and brooms, along with Hedwig's cage.

Hermione was sharing with him stories about her parents and how they met as she sat on her bed. Harry, who was sitting on her desk chair, couldn't help but laugh.

"They met on a train?"

"Heading to Cambridge, yes, in 1971. They were married by 1975."

"Why did they go to Cambridge?"

"To go to the University of Cambridge, of course. They met on the train, started talking, and learned that both of them desired to become dentists. They became friends and then, one day, I suppose, they discovered that they loved each other. The next thing you know, they were hip deep in wedding plans."

Harry chuckled. "Sort of sounds familiar, minus the wedding plans and the wanting to become dentists."

She smiled. "And it only took them four years to figure things out."

"I'm dense, I know that," he said, grinning. Then he gave her a thoughtful look. "When did you know?"

"Well," she began, shifting, "I had fancied you ever since you rescued me from that troll."

He stared at her. "First year?"

"You saved me, Harry. I wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for you."

"You wouldn't have been in that situation if Ron and I had been nicer to you," he reminded her.

She smiled. "True, but then I wouldn't have been able to see just how brave you really are. That's what pulled me towards you, Harry. Then, afterwards, when we sort of just silently agreed to be friends, I got to meet the person you are. You're not just brave, you're kind, you're understanding, and yet you have a bunch of flaws too which make you so…endearing.

"I've fancied you since first year, yes, but I didn't realize I was in love with you until the fifth."

"What happened? What caused your epiphany?"

She looked around the room, as if searching for an answer. "Nothing, really. I realized it while we were walking back from Hogsmeade, after you did the interview with Rita Skeeter. It dawned on me that you must have trusted me a lot to cut your date short with Cho just so that you could meet me. It…I couldn't describe how I felt about you right then. Warm. Content, perhaps? Happy. All I knew was that I couldn't, at that point, imagine myself walking besides anyone else. If I had to follow someone, you would be the only person I'd follow. At that very moment, what I wanted most was to be with you, always, even if it was only as your best friend." She gave him a slight shrug. "I'm afraid you're stuck with me."

He leaned forward and caressed her cheek with his fingertips. "I like being stuck with you." Then he closed the distance between them, his lips brushing over hers until she wrapped her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss, pulling him down onto the bed with her. Her lips parted, granting him access. She ran her hands through his hair as his fingertips traced her jaw down to her neck. His other hand was tangled in her hair.

Just as he was about to break the kiss to breathe, he heard an all too familiar voice cry, "Bloody hell!"