Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: Oh, thank God the holidays are coming up. That means it's the end of the semester at my university. Granted, next week is finals week, but after that I will have three glorious weeks of…writing! No more papers on watersheds, no more fake news stories, no more presentations! It's over with, done! Winter break, here I come! All I have to do is survive finals week. But to celebrate the end of the semester, I have yet another chapter for all of you. Sorry about the cliffhanger from last time, by the way, but if you've been with me since MoL, you know how I love them. Just to clarify things in case there was any confusion, my Hermione was born in 1980, which means she's currently 16 in this fic until I write about her birthday. Also, I apologize to all the Ron-lovers out there about Ron's attitude throughout the next couple of chapters. Ron happens to be one of my favorite characters too, but this is just how I think he would initially react to Harry/Hermione. And now I'll shut up.

CHAPTER ELEVEN

RANCOROUS RONALD

Harry jumped off of Hermione and rolled over onto the bed beside her. Standing in the doorframe were Ron and Ginny, both of whom were gaping at their friends. Ginny's expression looked gleeful. Ron's, however, looked exactly the opposite.

Suddenly, Ginny let out a high-pitched yell of triumph. "I knew it! I knew it would happen one day!"

Ron's face was very red. Harry gulped. "Er-when did you two arrive?"

"Just now," Ginny replied. "We used Floo Powder. Dad got the Ministry to set up an emergency network." She ran over to the bed and bounced onto it. Ron stood stock still in the doorframe. "So, when?"

"When what?" Harry asked, scrambling off of the bed. This was definitely not the way he wanted Ron and Ginny to find out about him and Hermione.

"When did this start?" Ginny asked.

"Er-"

"It's complicated," Hermione said, "and a rather long story. We should get downstairs."

"Yes, yes. Ron, let's help them with their trunks. Then I want to know everything," Ginny said.

"No," Ron said suddenly, breaking his silence with gritted teeth. "I want to know everything now."

Harry hesitated. Then, he murmured, "Two weeks ago. Things became official two weeks ago."

"Official?" Ginny asked, glancing back and forth between her two friends. "Just how long as this thing been going on without being 'official?'"

"Er…" Harry thought back.

"When was the first time you two kissed?" Ron asked, his jaw set.

"We should get our trunks," Harry said, going back to Hermione's suggestion. "That Floo network won't stay open forev-"

"When was the first time you bloody kissed her?" Ron demanded angrily.

"The day after Christmas," Hermione responded, her face full of guilt. "It just happened."

Ron's face sunk. "Christmas?"

Ginny started to laugh. "That long?"

"Nothing came of it," Harry said quickly. "At least, not at that time."

"Christmas," Ron repeated.

"Please," Harry said, "you both have to keep this a secret. No one can know about Hermione and me. There are too many of Voldemort's spies out there and…I can't have Hermione put in further danger because of me. Because of our relationship."

Ginny nodded. "I understand. I won't tell a soul."

"Thank you," Harry said gratefully.

Ron's eyes were flat, cold as stone. "Christmas," he repeated one last time before he turned on his heel and marched out. Harry cringed. No, that was definitely not the way he wanted his best friend to find out about his relationship with Hermione.

Ginny sighed. "I think you just shocked him," she said apologetically. "And he hates surprises. You know how he hates surprises."

Harry frowned.

"Well, come on," Ginny continued. "I'll help you with your trunks. We should get downstairs before the Floo network closes, like you said, Harry."

Hermione and Ginny took Hermione's trunk down the stairs while Harry wrestled with his own. Thankfully, both Hermione and Ginny relieved him of the extra burdens that were Hedwig's cage and his brooms. Ron stood in the foyer, watching them coolly.

"You could help, you know," Ginny hissed at her brother as she and Hermione passed.

Begrudgingly, Ron grabbed a handle out of Harry's hand and pulled the trunk and Harry right along with it.

"Hermione! Harry!" beamed Mr. Weasley as they entered the sitting room. "Great to see you!"

"It's good to see you again as well, Mr. Weasley," Hermione said as she and Ginny dropped her trunk.

"Hello," Harry said, setting his trunk down and rubbing his shoulder. Ron had nearly yanked it out of its socket.

"Ron, Ginny, why don't you load their things into the fireplace and Floo back home?" Mr. Weasley suggested. "That way it gives them a chance to say good-bye."

"Sure thing, Dad," Ginny said, tugging Ron's sleeve.

Harry helped them while Hermione said her farewells to her parents. By the time Ron and Ginny were both shouting, "The Burrow!" Hermione was giving her parents both hugs and kisses on the cheek.

Harry walked over to them. "Er-I just wanted to thank you for letting me stay. I really enjoyed it."

Mrs. Granger leaned over and gave him a hug. "Oh, I'm glad you had a good time. We enjoyed having you here."

Mr. Granger smiled. "Actually, Harry, I was hoping that I could have a quick word with you in private before you leave."

Harry blinked. "Er-okay," he said and followed Mr. Granger into the foyer.

Mr. Granger led him back to the doorway between the foyer and the kitchen. He cleared his throat. "I really don't know how to say this, but…I know there's a lot more happening at Hogwarts than I can ever imagine, so I'd like to ask you do to a favor for me, Harry."

"What is it, sir?" he asked.

"Look after Hermione, please? She's my only child and her mother and I would be devastated if something were to…well, you understand."

Harry smiled. "Don't worry, sir, I will. I always do, to the best of my abilities."

Mr. Granger placed a hand on his shoulder. "I believe you do."

"Well then, I should get-"

"Just one more thing, Harry," Mr. Granger said.

"Sir?"

Now Mr. Granger looked really uncomfortable. "Look, I know you care a great deal for my daughter and, well, Helen and I were talking about it, and…" He cleared his throat again, "we know you two are close. We're not sure how close, but we know you're close. And I....we wanted to let you know that you have our blessing in case you and Hermione ever become…more than friends."

Harry couldn't believe his ears. "Sir? More than friends?"

"In case you and Hermione ever decide to pursue a…romantic relationship," Mr. Granger elaborated, this cheeks turning pink.

Harry was sure his face was as red as a Weasley's hair. "Of course! Yes-erm-thank you?"

Mr. Granger chuckled. "I take it this was as uncomfortable for you as it was for me."

"Yes, sir."

His chuckles increased. "Very well, then, off you go. I'm sure Arthur is waiting for you."

"Yes, sir."

"Good-bye, Harry," he said, holding out his hand.

Harry shook it. "Good-bye, sir," he said and walked back into the sitting room, where Mr. Weasley and Hermione were waiting. Hermione gave him an inquisitive look, but he just shook his head.

"All set?" Mr. Weasley asked. "Into the fireplace, the network will only be open for another two minutes. And don't worry, Hermione, I'll bring Crookshanks with me."

"Bye, Mum! Bye, Dad!" Hermione called, stepping into the fireplace.

"Good-bye, sweetie!" Mrs. Granger called back.

"Have fun!" Mr. Granger said.

Harry and Hermione grabbed a handful of Floo Powder and, waving, they threw it down while yelling, "The Burrow!"

The familiar whirlwind ride didn't take nearly as long as Harry expected. They landed in the Weasley's fireplace before Harry had the chance to get too annoyed by the spinning, the ash, and the green flames.

"Harry! Hermione!" Mrs. Weasley greeted as they stepped out of the hearth. "Wonderful to see you two again," she said as she started to brush them off.

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley," Hermione greeted.

"Hello," Harry replied, trying to step away from Mrs. Weasley's grooming. "Where did Ron and Ginny go?"

"They're upstairs, taking your things to your room," Mrs. Weasley told them. "Harry, you'll be staying in Fred and George's old room and Hermione, you'll be in Percy's."

Hermione froze. "Percy's?" she asked.

"Yes," Mrs. Weasley said, finishing her brushing. She looked sorrowful. "I figured that we can't let that room go to waste, so I thought you'd like it, considering you and he shared a lot of interests. He had a fair amount of books in his room that I'm sure you'd like to check out."

"Oh, that sounds lovely," she said in a false cheerful voice. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome, dear," Mrs. Weasley replied, oblivious. "And Harry, Arthur and I are so terribly sorry to hear about your aunt. Remus told us. Are you okay, dear?"

"I'm fine, yeah," Harry said.

There was a loud CRACK, and Mr. Weasley Apparated into the kitchen with Crookshanks. He peeked around the corner before letting Crookshanks jump onto the floor. "Ah, good, you made it, I see."

"Yes, sir," Harry said. "We'll just go upstairs now and help Ron and Ginny."

As they walked up the stairs, Harry put a hand on Hermione's shoulder to stop her. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm fine," she replied. "Why wouldn't I be?"

He frowned. "Hermione…I'll trade you rooms if you'd like."

She shook her head fiercely. "No. I'll be fine. Really."

He gave her a long, hard look. Then he sighed. "Alright, if you think you will be."

"I will," she insisted and continued up the stairwell.

They found Ron and Ginny in Fred and George's old room. Ginny was setting Hedwig's cage on a desk while Ron was sitting on one of the two beds in the room. When he saw Harry and Hermione, he jumped up and left.

"Ron!" Hermione called after him, but he kept walking.

"The big baby," Ginny muttered.

"Why is he acting like this?" Harry asked.

Ginny stared at him incredulously. "You don't know?"

He had an idea as to what she was talking about. "I thought he had his eye on somebody else now."

"I had been hoping that he would have by now," Hermione said, sitting on the bed Ron had jumped off of with a sigh.

"Getting over the first person you fancied can take a long time," Ginny said, giving Harry a furtive glance.

"But I wasn't the first person he fancied," Hermione said. "Fleur was."

Suddenly, Ginny's eyes lit up. "Speaking of Fleur, guess what!"

"What?" Harry asked.

"Bill asked her to move in with him! Can you believe it?" She scowled.

"They're going out?" Harry asked, clueless.

Ginny rolled her eyes at him. "Only for the past year and a half. Where have you been, Potter?"

"Outside of the Girly Gossip Group," he replied, plopping down next to Hermione.

"You sound like Ron," Ginny muttered disdainfully, but continued on. "He's got a flat on the north side of London and asked Fleur to move in with him last week. I think he may actually ask her to marry him." She stuck out her tongue. "Could you imagine her as my sister-in-law?"

"She's always seemed very nice to me," Harry said. Again, Ginny looked at him disdainfully.

"Harry, I don't know how you boys do it, but when you're talking to girls, you're supposed to take their side," she said.

"But you're talking about a girl, so can't I take her side instead?" Harry asked.

Hermione laughed. "Not if you want to remain friends with the girl you're talking to," she said. "By the way, Ginny, Harry and I bought you a birthday present." She nudged Harry in the ribs.

"What? Oh-right," he said, going to his trunk and opening it. He grabbed Ginny's gift and handed it to her.

"Thanks," she said, sitting down on the other bed and opening it up. "Oh, thank you! Purple ink-my favorite!"

"You're welcome," Hermione said.

Ginny looked down at the set of five ink bottles. "Purple ink isn't exactly cheap, so really, thanks!"

"Our pleasure," Harry said. "Now you can drive the professors mad when you use it on assignments."

Ginny grinned. "Yeah."

Harry looked around the room. "So, where's Hedwig?"

"Huh? Oh, she's up in Ron's room with Pigwidgeon. You can go get her and bring her down here, if you'd like," Ginny said.

He frowned. "I don't think that's a good idea with the way Ron is acting towards us."

"She's your owl and you have a right to go get her. Ron will have to see that," Ginny said.

"Yeah, well, Ron can be pretty pig-headed and quite the prat when he wants to be," he replied.

"For Merlin's sake, you're just as big of a baby as he is," she muttered, causing Hermione to laugh. "If you're too afraid to face him, then fine, I'll go get her."

"I'm not afraid," Harry shot back.

"Sure you aren't," Ginny said, giving Hermione a wink.

"I'm not!" he said defensively. "Look, I'll go get her right now!" He shot the youngest Weasley a look over his shoulder as he marched out of the room and up the stairs.

It was when he reached the top of the stairs that he slowed down. He stopped right in front of Ron's door and listened carefully to hear whether or not Ron was in his room. Then, he inhaled sharply and knocked on the door.

"Ron?"

There was no answer. Harry took that as a sign that his friend was downstairs. He opened the door-

"Bloody hell! Can't a bloke have some time alone?" Ron yelled, throwing a shoe at the door. He was sitting in a corner of his room and scowling at Harry.

"Sorry," Harry murmured. "I just wanted to get Hedwig."

"Well take her and get out!" Ron yelled, gesturing towards Hedwig, who was blinking her amber eyes at Ron in alarm.

Harry held out his arm. "Here Hedwig," he said, frowning at his friend. The white owl flew over and landed on his arm. Harry stood for a moment, eyeing Ron. "Ron, I wanted to-"

"Leave me alone, Harry. I don't want to talk to you," Ron growled.

Harry's frowned deepened, but he respected Ron's wishes and left. When he returned to his room, both Hermione and Ginny were gone. With a gentle nudge, Harry helped Hedwig jump to the perch in her cage before turning around and heading downstairs to join the other Weasleys.

*****

That night, Harry tossed and turned in bed. His scar tingled from time to time, but never anything to make him feel complete pain. It was just uncomfortable. When he woke up for the third time that night, rubbing his scar out of irritation and wondering what exactly was happening that caused such a sensation, he heard a creak on the stairs as someone walked down past his room. Curious, Harry got up out of bed.

When he poked his head out of his door he saw a shadow going down the stairs. Careful to miss the creaky stair, he tiptoed out of his room and followed them down to the living room. Just when he was feeling grateful that his eyes were adapted to the darkness, he heard a familiar voice murmur, "Incendio," and suddenly the logs in the fireplace caught fire.

Harry squinted in the dim light to see the sight of his girlfriend. "Hermione?" he whispered.

She jumped and turned. "Harry!" she said with a small gasp. "I didn't know you were behind me."

"Sorry. I woke up and heard somebody coming down the stairs," he said as Hermione took a seat in a chair.

"What woke you up?" she asked.

"My scar," he replied, pointing to it. "It's tingling."

"Do you think Voldemort's up to something?" Hermione asked urgently.

"Possibly. I don't know," he said, sitting down next to her. "What are you doing up?"

She shifted uncomfortably in her chair. "I-er-couldn't sleep."

"Why?"

"I…I kept thinking about who used to sleep in that room," she said quietly.

He knew it would happen, but he fought back the urge say that he did. Instead, he took her hand in his and squeezed it gently. "Are you sure you don't want to trade rooms?" he asked her.

"I…" She hesitated and bit her bottom lip. "No. I can do this. I need to do this."

"Hermione," he said gently, "you don't need to prove anything to anyone. I understand what you're going through."

She shook her head. "I may not have to prove anything to anyone else but I have to prove something to myself, Harry. I have to get through this. If I don't, then how am I to deal with everything else that this war may throw at me?"

"With time and taking things step by step until you feel okay again," he told her.

"Do you feel okay again?" she asked him.

"About Percy?"

"About Cedric. About Sirius."

He remained silent for a moment and then answered truthfully. "Yes, I think I am. I had you and Ron there to bear with me while I got through it, and I think that it made all the difference."

"Ron needs somebody to help him. He lost his brother."

"And you saw him die," Harry said. "That's not easy to take. I know." He leaned over and gathered her into his arms. "I'm here for you, Hermione. You know that."

She sighed gratefully against him. "Yes, I do."

He held her there like that for a long time before he relaxed and let her go. "Y'know, there's another bed in the room I'm in. Whether it used to be Fred or George's, I don't know, but you're welcome to use it."

She smiled up at him. "I don't think Mr. or Mrs. Weasley would approve of that. I'm going to be fine, Harry. I will. I just need time, like you said."

He gave her a slow nod. "Okay."

"Thank you for coming down here for me, though."

He gave a short laugh. "You know I would never have been able to sleep if I didn't."

She grinned and then yawned. "I'm pretty tired now. I think I'll finally try to get some sleep."

"That sounds good," he said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and leading her back to the stairs.

"How's your scar feeling?" she asked as they started to climb them.

He rubbed it absently. "Fine. No more tingling."

She smiled. "Good."

They reached the landing where his room was at. He took her hands in his and leaned forward to drop a kiss on her forehead. "Sweet dreams, Hermione."

"You too," she said and then continued on her way, still holding his hand until she couldn't anymore. With one last glance back at him, she disappeared up the stairs.

*****

Several days passed and Ron still refused to talk to either Harry or Hermione. They spent most of their time with Ginny or, when they could get away with it, alone. Both Mr. and Mrs. Weasley took notice to their son's avoidance of his two best friends, but Harry believed they attributed it to Ron possibly feeling embarrassed that he was having a hard time controlling his sorrow over the loss of Percy.

Harry only wished that was the real reason why Ron was avoiding him and Hermione.

Some progress seemed to be made Friday morning at breakfast when Ron turned to Harry and asked, "Will you pass the syrup?" It was the first time Ron had spoken to either of them in three days.

"Er-sure," Harry said, taken aback by Ron's sudden request. He passed the syrup and went back to his meal.

"Harry?" came Hermione's voice from behind that morning's issue of the Daily Prophet. She was examining the front page.

"Yeah?"

"Your scar didn't hurt you last night, did it? Did you have any dreams?" she asked.

"No, none. Why?" he asked, an ominous feeling rising within him.

She lowered the paper and looked at him with mournful eyes. "It's happened again."

Ron had obviously forgotten about his anger with them and looked at her in alarm. "There's been another attack?" he asked.

She nodded and turned the paper around so that both Harry and Ron could read the front page.

GLASGOW THE LATEST VICTIM IN DEATH EATER ATTACKS

"Oh no," Ron groaned.

"Hermione," Mr. Weasley said from one end of the table, "let me read that, will you."

"Certainly," she said, passing the Prophet to Ginny so that she could give it to her father.

"They're back in Scotland," Harry murmured, trying to remember his dream he had earlier in the summer. "Just as he said he would be."

"What?" Ron asked, alarmed.

"I had a dream earlier this summer," Harry explained. "Voldemort-" The Weasleys cringed. "-ordered the Lestrange brothers to go to Manchester and await his signal to attack. Then they were supposed to move to Glasgow and wait there."

"Have you told Dumbledore this?" Mr. Weasley asked.

"Yes, I wrote a letter to him when I woke up." He glanced between Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. "Didn't he tell you?"

"Molly and I haven't made much contact with the Order lately," Mr. Weasley said. "Remus will give us updates every now and then, but that's about it."

"Oh," was all Harry could say.

"He's attacking much bigger cities now," Mrs. Weasley murmured.

"Yes." Harry nodded. "I only wish I knew where they were going next."

"Did it say if there were any Death Eaters captured?" Ginny asked her father.

"Eight," Mr. Weasley told her, scanning the article.

"That's two more than the Manchester attack, so good, the Aurors are getting better," Harry said.

"Blimey," Ron murmured.

Just then, a tawny owl landed on the windowsill before hopping into the kitchen. Mrs. Weasley jumped up to take the mail from it.

"How many people died, Dad?" Ron asked.

"It says here that thirteen Muggles were killed with several more injured and that their papers are reporting that it was a large automobile accident. Apparently one of the Death Eaters blew a hole in one of the tires, not that the Muggles will know," Mr. Weasley said grimly.

"Any Aurors?" Ginny asked.

"None. All of them survived."

"Look," Mrs. Weasley said, turning from the tawny owl that was taking off and holding up four envelopes, "your Hogwarts letters have arrived." She walked back over to the table and began to pass them out. "Ginny, here's yours. And here's yours, Hermione. Ron, there's yours. And finally, here you are, Harry."

"Thanks," Harry said and accepted his letter. He paid little attention to the emerald ink on the envelope, having seen it so many times, and simply opened it. Ron and Ginny were already into theirs and were reading their letters. Suddenly, Hermione let out a high pitched squeal.

"I GOT IT! I GOT IT!" she screamed.

"Got what?" Ron asked, giving her a weird look.

She held up a shiny silver badge bearing the letters HG. "I'm Head Girl!" she said excitedly.

"Congratulations, Hermione," Mrs. Weasley said, smiling.

"Yes, congratulations," Mr. Weasley said.

Harry couldn't help but smile at her across the table. "Yeah, good job."

Ginny was examining the badge. "H-G. Head Girl. Hermione Granger. See, it was meant to go to you."

Hermione laughed. "I didn't expect it thought."

Ron snorted and Harry grinned at him.

Suddenly, the fireplace erupted in bright green flames as Lupin's head popped through.

"Remus!" Mr. Weasley said. "We just read the latest news in the Prophet. Is there anything they're not telling us?"

"Good morning, Arthur. No, the Prophet got things right, as far as I know. What I really need to do is talk to Hermione," he said briskly.

Hermione's smile faded away. "Me? What is it?" she asked, getting up from the table and sitting down beside the fireplace. Harry quickly jumped up to join her, a bad feeling spreading throughout his gut.

"Dumbledore has asked me to tell you that, for the time being, the Order has relocated your parents," Lupin said solemnly.

"My parents," she breathed. "Why?"

"For their safety. After the attack on Harry's relatives, we're positive that the Death Eaters are now trying to track Harry down, and they may very well track him to your home," Lupin said.

"But what about their work?" she asked. "Where are they?"

"I can't tell you that," he said. "As for their work, we've set it up so that it seems like your parents have taken a sudden and well-deserved holiday from work. Their appointments have been rescheduled and the Order is personally taking care of the finances for all of their employees."

"That's very generous of you," she said. "When will they get to go home?"

"We're going to keep an eye on your house. Don't worry. We'll keep them safe," Lupin assured her.

"I trust the Order," she said. "But…but could you tell them that I-er-that I was selected to be Head Girl this year?"

He smiled. "I will make sure the message gets passed along," he said. "And congratulations to you."

"Thank you," she said quietly.

Lupin nodded to everyone. "Good day to all of you."

"Good-bye, Remus," Mr. Weasley said and Lupin's head disappeared and the green flames died away.

Harry placed his hand over Hermione's. "It will be okay. They'll keep your parents safe."

"I know," she said, getting up.

Harry frowned. "I'm sorry about all the trouble I've caused for them."

She turned sharply towards him. "Don't be. This is probably a blessing in disguise. Voldemort could have killed them in some backwards way of trying to hurt you."

"She's right, Harry," Mr. Weasley said.

Harry frowned, but nodded just the same. Both he and Hermione sat back down at the breakfast table. When she began toying with her badge, Harry finally noticed that his envelope seemed to be heavier than usual. He picked it up and pulled his letter out-and a silver badge slid out with it onto the table.

"What?" he whispered. He picked up the badge as everyone turned their attention towards him. "No," he whispered in awe.

On the badge were the letters HB.

Hermione looked up and gazed at him with renewed excitement. "Harry!"

Harry quickly opened his letter and read it.

Dear Mr. Potter,

After due consideration, you have been chosen to be this year's Head Boy at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You were nominated by several professors and chosen because of your excellent leadership abilities and strong commitment to Hogwarts. Please note that your appointment should not in any way diminish your role as the captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

This is a high honor given to few. Congratulations. On the next page, there is list concerning what you will need to discuss with the prefects on the Hogwarts Express on the first of September at 11:00. Share this list with no one, except for the new Head Girl, Hermione Granger. You will meet with the prefects and Head Girl in the first car aboard the Hogwarts Express and hold your first meeting of the year. Miss Granger is well aware of how these meetings are conducted, so I suggest that you take your lead from her.

Remember that your Head Boy duties are not to be taken lightly. You will be required to conduct prefect meetings, help organize the events throughout the year, and uphold the rules of Hogwarts, among other things. You will be seen as the student leader of the school. Good luck and once again, congratulations.

Sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore

P.S. I'm very proud of you, Harry. I know that you'll make an excellent Head Boy.

Harry couldn't believe what he was reading. "I-I-" He gulped. "I'm Head Boy."

Hermione beamed at him. "I knew it. I knew you could do it."

"I…" Harry didn't know what to say; he was too shocked.

"Congratulations, Harry," Mr. Weasley said, smiling. "Well done."

"Thank you," Harry murmured automatically.

"I'm going to have to make a big dinner in celebration," Mrs. Weasley said, smiling. Harry, however, noticed that she glanced over at Ron. When he turned to his friend, he noticed that Ron's face was very red and that he looked like he was about to spit fire.

"Excuse me," Ron said quickly and got up, leaving the table.

Ginny shook her head. "Prat," she muttered and turned to Harry and Hermione. "Congratulations, both of you. This is going to be great, being friends with both the Head Boy and Head Girl."

"Thanks," Hermione said.

"Yeah, thanks," Harry said, his thoughts on Ron's reaction to the badge.

"Mum, Dad, when are we going to Diagon Alley?" Ginny asked.

"We can go tomorrow," Mr. Weasley said.

"What sort of books are on your list, Ginny?" Mrs. Weasley asked, taking Ginny's book list from her.

Harry opened up his own book list to see what he would have to buy when they went to Diagon Alley.

Standard Book of Spells (Grade 7) by Miranda Goshawk

Modern Charms by Morgan Wigglestick

Poisons, Venoms, and Dangerous Draughts by M.T. Curry

Exotic Plants of the Wizarding and Muggle World, Part II by Rose Defleur

Also, please bring a set of dress robes for our annual Yule Ball.

"Our booklist is a little light this year," Harry commented.

"Maybe yours is, but mine isn't," Hermione said. "I have new books for Arithmancy and Ancient Runes to buy."

"I'm just happy I won't be taking Potions anymore," Ginny said. "Or History of Magic, for that matter."

"How many O.W.L.s did you get, anyway?" Harry asked her.

"Nine. One more than Ron. I'm opting out of History of Magic. I slept most of the time in there last year."

"Ginny!" Mrs. Weasley scolded.

"Oh, you had Professor Binns, Mum, don't tell me that you never fell asleep in there." Mrs. Weasley frowned but said nothing. "There, you see," Ginny said. "I'm still taking Muggle Studies, though."

"Now that is a fascinating class," Mr. Weasley piped in.

"Yeah, sure," Ginny muttered.

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and couldn't help but grin.

*****

Harry woke up early the next morning to get ready to go to Diagon Alley. After a quick spot of breakfast, Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys all stood in front of their fireplace.

"I don't see why you two don't think I can take the Apparition test," Ron complained to his parents. "I could Apparate to Diagon Alley right now."

"I'd rather you don't, Ron," Mr. Weasley said. "I don't want you leaving an ear behind again."

"Do you mind if Hermione and I try?" Harry asked. "We took a class, but we haven't taken our tests because, well, Hermione's not old enough."

"We could use the practice, to make sure we don't forget anything," Hermione added.

Mr. Weasley seemed to be weighing the odds. "Alright, but I want both of you to hang on to Molly or myself."

Ron's jaw dropped. "But-"

"Someone has to Floo with Ginny," Mr. Weasley said.

"I can Floo by myself," Ginny said indignantly.

"Ron, you're Flooing with Ginny and that's final," Mrs. Weasley said suddenly, silencing both of her children.

Ron sent both Harry and Hermione a dirty look before stepping into the fireplace with his sister. They both grabbed a handful of Floo Powder from the pot that Mrs. Weasley was holding out for them and then yelled, "Diagon Alley!"

"Alright, Harry, Hermione, let's do this quickly. It won't take long for Ron and Ginny to arrive at the Leaky Cauldron," Mr. Weasley said briskly.

Harry nodded and grabbed Mr. Weasley's outstretched arm, focusing on the bar inside of the Leaky Cauldron, the tables, and the fireplace.

"Are we ready?" Mr. Weasley asked.

Focusing hard, Harry said, "Yes."

"I am," Hermione replied.

"Great. Let's go then, on three. One-two-three!" Mr. Weasley yelled and Harry quickly twisted towards the right and with a CRACK, he felt himself being squeezed in on all sides as if he were going through a tube. The next thing he knew, he was inside the Leaky Cauldron with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, along with Hermione. A moment later, the fireplace came to life and both Ron and Ginny stepped out of it.

Ron gave them a dark look as he stepped out of the fireplace and quickly took the lead towards Diagon Alley, where he personally took care of the brick that turned the wall into an archway so that they could enter a place that Harry always found warm and inviting.

"Well, let's go to Gringotts first and then to Flourish and Blotts to get those books out of the way," Mrs. Weasley said.

"Mum, can we go to Fred and George's shop today?" Ginny asked.

Mrs. Weasley frowned. She never had approved of the occupation both Fred and George had taken up. "I suppose so. It will be good to see them."

"Excellent! I can't wait to see what they've come up with now," Ginny said excitedly.

Gringotts seemed a little busier than usual, but with the Hogwarts letters coming out the previous day, that didn't surprise Harry. He and Hermione traveled together to his vault where he picked up enough of the gold Galleons, silver Sickles, and bronze Knuts to pay for everything he needed and then some. When they returned, Ron frowned at his jingling bag and took the lead once again down Diagon Alley.

In Flourish and Blotts they saw Ernie Macmillian, who waved to them as he was purchasing his books for the school year. Afterwards they went to Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions because both Harry and Ron needed their school robes altered.

"You both are getting so tall and handsome," Mrs. Weasley said, while Hermione and Ginny chatted with a Gryffindor girl from Harry's year.

Harry and Ron both had their dress robes altered as well before leaving the shop and going to the stationary shop. Harry and Hermione took a trip to the Apothecary to replenish their Potions supplies.

Harry decided that he wanted to buy some owl treats for Hedwig and quickly ran into Eeylops Owl Emporium to buy some. When he came back out, he saw Hermione and the Weasleys talking to someone Harry considered a good friend. A grin split across his face as he jogged over to greet her.

"Luna!" he said to the blonde-haired Ravenclaw. "How are you?"

Luna's eyes, which always made her looked like she was constantly surprised, widened at the sight of him. "Hi Harry!" she said brightly. "I'm doing well. How are you?"

"Alright," he replied.

"I'm very happy to see you," she said, "along with Ginny, Hermione, and, of course, Ronald."

Ron turned a bright shade of red.

"I haven't seen either you or Hermione since the end of the last school year, but I was telling Ronald and Ginny that I would like to visit them again," Luna went on.

"Again? You've been to the Burrow this summer?" Harry asked.

"Of course, to pass along my condolences. Even though the conversations were quite solemn, I enjoyed the time I spent with Ronald and Ginny and wouldn't mind doing it again, if they'd allow it."

"Of course!" Ginny said. "We'd be happy if you dropped by again, Luna."

Ron made a noncommittal noise, his face still red.

"Oh, and Ronald, we could continue to discuss the things we were talking about the last time I came over," Luna said brightly, causing Ron's eyes to go wide and to become even redder.

"Er-okay," he mumbled. "Thanks."

"Sounds like that's settled," Ginny said. "Come over sometime next week, won't you, Luna?"

She nodded. "I'd love to."

"We'll picnic or something," Ginny added.

Luna smiled and looked over at Ron. "Oh, I love picnics." Then she looked back at Harry, Hermione, and Ginny. "I had better be going. Daddy is over the cauldron shop, buying himself a new cauldron. I told him that I'd join him at the Apothecary to buy supplies."

"Okay. See you later, Luna!" Ginny said.

"Yeah, good-bye, Luna," Harry said.

"Bye!" she said, waving and walking in the direction of the Apothecary.

"Where to next?" Hermione asked.

Ron shuffled his feet, his face still quite red from what Luna said to him. "I sort of wanted to…I wanted to go over to Quality Quidditch Supplies," he said quietly.

Hermione looked like she was about to protest, but Harry nodded. "That sounds like a great idea. Let's go."

They walked over to Quality Quidditch Supplies and, when they stepped inside, Harry received quite the shock.

Standing behind the counter was none other than Harry's ex-girlfriend Cho Chang.

Cho looked up at the ringing of the bell on the door and spotted Harry immediately. "Harry!" she said, her face bright. "What a pleasant surprise!"

"Er-Cho," Harry greeted, careful not to look at Hermione. He didn't want to know what her reaction to this would be.

"What are you doing in here?" she asked, smiling at him.

"Er-Ron wanted to come in and look around," Harry said, offering her a small smile. "I didn't know you worked here."

"Oh, I started a few weeks after term ended. Speaking of which, I never got to properly say good-bye to you," she said, frowning.

"Oh-er-well, things were-er-strange at the end of the last term," Harry told her.

"Yes," she murmured, sending pitying looks over at Ron and Ginny. "I'm terribly sorry about your brother."

"Thank you," Ginny said quietly.

Cho cleared her throat. "Is there anything in particular you're looking for or do you just feel like browsing."

"Er-"

"Browsing," Ron said gruffly and turned to the merchandise in the store.

"Yes, of course," Cho said. "Well, just call for me if you need anything."

"Okay," Harry said and waited until she had returned to the counter before relaxing. He never realized how tense she made him.

Hermione was eyeing him curiously. "Are you okay?"

He stared at her. "Are you?"

Her expression turned from that of curiosity to confusion. "Yes. Why wouldn't I be?"

Harry frowned and inclined his head towards the counter. "Cho."

She gave him an annoyed look. "I'm not jealous of her, Harry. She may have at one time been your girlfriend, but those days are over. You've moved on, haven't you?"

"Yes," he said gratefully. He was happy that Hermione wasn't mad at him.

"Honestly, Harry, I can't believe you thought that I would be jealous," she said, shaking her head, walking over to the brooms in the window display.

He followed her. "And why exactly weren't you? If you were talking to another bloke, specifically an ex-boyfriend, I'd be angrier than a mountain troll."

Again, she shook her head. "Because I trust you, Harry," she said. "I know you would never do something to intentionally hurt me and, while over half of the girls at Hogwarts would love to be your girlfriend, I know that you'd never think twice about cheating on me."

"Never think once, actually," Harry corrected with a grin. "And I highly doubt that over half of the girls at Hogwarts want to be my girlfriend."

Hermione turned to Ginny, who was examining gloves, and tapped her on the shoulder. "Ginny, give me a rough estimate of how many girls at Hogwarts would like to be Harry's girlfriend."

Ginny paused for a moment. "Oh, over half, I'd say, what with the good looks, Quidditch skills, scar, and heroics, he's considered Grade A meat."

Hermione turned back to Harry, a bright smile on her face after just proving her point.

Harry shook his head. "I'm not Grade A meat," he muttered.

"You may not think so," said Ginny, "but I haven't talked to a girl there who hasn't thought about riding on your broomstick."

Harry's eyes went wide. "Ginny!"

Both Hermione and Ginny burst into a fit of giggles. "Face it, Harry," Hermione said, "at the present time, you are the most fanciable boy at Hogwarts, hands down."

He gaped at her, his mouth hanging open. He tried to speak, which only resulted in his mouth opening and closing like a fish's. Hermione and Ginny giggled again.

"Well, I…I'm…I'm not in Luna's eyes!" he said and then wondered why he had said that.

"That's because she has eyes only for Ronald," Ginny said, glossing over her brother's name in a breathy manner before giggling again. "Speaking of which…oy, Ron! Are you done yet? We want to go to Fred and George's!"

Ron grumbled and tore himself away from the display of Mercury Silvers, a broom Harry never wanted to touch because of the association it had with the Slytherin Quidditch team.

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes was probably the busiest shop in Diagon Alley. Fred and George were more successful that they had ever imagined. When Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny entered the shop, George spotted them immediately and called out to them.

"Little baby brother and little baby sister! Welcome!" he said jovially and bounded over to them. "And, of course, a hearty welcome to our great benefactor as well." He shook Harry's hand enthusiastically. "And the girl who figured out how to strike fear into our hearts. Hello, dear Hermione."

"Hello, George," Hermione said, taking his hand when he offered it and immediately jumped.

George roared in laughter and showed her his palm. "A classic Muggle gimmick, the joy buzzer. Fred! I got Hermione!"

"Brilliant!" Fred yelled from across the room where he stood at the counter, ringing up purchases that people were making. "Hello, all!"

They waved back at Fred. "How come Harry didn't get jolted?" Hermione asked.

"I slipped it on right after I finished shaking his hand," George said with a wink. "Don't the old Muggle magicians say something about distracting the audience with words while the hands do all the tricks?"

"That's not the exact phrase," Hermione said, "but you do have the gist of it."

George shrugged. "Whatever. So, here to buy your school things?"

Ginny nodded. "Yeah. And guess what!"

"Ron got himself a girlfriend? Wait, no, that would be a miracle!" George said.

"Shut up," Ron growled.

"Oh, Ickle Ronniekins is grumpy. Fred! Ickle Ronniekins is grumpy. No free stuff for him!" George yelled.

"Right you are, George!"

"Shut up! It's not like either of you have girlfriends!" Ron snapped.

George laughed. "I beg to differ. Recent developments involve two good friends coming into our store everyday since we've reopened. Fred and I have picked who will get which one and there are plans to ask them on a double date very soon."

"Who are they?" Ginny asked. "Do we know them?"

George grinned. "Absolutely. Fred, tell them who our lovely ladies are!"

"Why they are a Miss Angelina Johnson and a Miss Alicia Spinnet, of course!" Fred told them. "Not surprising-I mean, you know how much Angelina fancied me at Hogwarts."

Harry snickered, remembering just how Fred had gotten the former Gryffindor Chaser and captain to go with him to the Yule Ball during Harry's fourth year.

"So anyway, what were you saying, Ginny?" George asked.

"Harry and Hermione got the badges," Ginny told him.

George stared at them before letting out a long, loud, dramatic, "NO! Not the Head Boy and Head Girl badges!"

Ginny nodded solemnly. "I'm afraid so."

George collapsed to his knees in a fit of fake sobbing. "Fred! Fred! Come here quickly!"

Fred rushed over. "What is it?" he asked.

George pointed at Harry and Hermione. "They've…they're…the Authority!"

Fred gasped. "No, not Harry! Hermione I expected, but why Harry? He's so young! He had so many good years of mischief making left!"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Cut the dramatics, you two, or I may start calling you drama queens."

George jumped up as both he and Fred recoiled from her. "Oh, the Authority speaks cruelly, Fred."

"Indeed she does," Fred agreed.

"Maybe Harry can still be saved," George said, running over and grabbing a Skiving Snackbox. "Take this, Harry. Use it well."

Harry grinned at them. "You know I will."

"Harry!" Hermione scolded.

"You'll have to hide that from Mum," Ginny told him.

"Speaking of which, where is she?" Fred asked.

"She and Dad went over to the Leaky Cauldron while we were talking to Luna," Ginny said.

"Were they not going to visit?" George asked, looking a little disappointed.

"I'm sure they are," Hermione said. "We just got here first."

"They'll arrive soon," Harry assured them.

"Good. I want to show Dad all of the Muggle stuff we have," Fred said.

"We've got to get back to work, but you lot can check things out. Just remember, unless we say it's free, you've got to pay," George said as the two of them headed back to the counter.

Harry looked down at the box in his hands. "I don't exactly plan on skiving any classes, but this may come in handy in case we run into any problems while we're back at Hogwarts."

"Hello kids! Harry, what's that you have there?" asked Mrs. Weasley as she and Mr. Weasley entered the shop.

"Er-"

"Is that something of Fred and George's?" she asked, taking it from him before tutting. "Harry, what are you doing with this?"

"Fred and George gave it to him as a gag gift for getting the Head Boy badge," Hermione told her. "He was about to put it back."

"Yeah," Harry said, frowning, as Mrs. Weasley handed him back the box. Well, it would have come in handy.

*****

When they returned, Hermione took to reading her new books, leaving Harry to play a few rounds of Exploding Snap with Ginny while Ron once again retreated to his room. On Tuesday, Luna came over for the picnic that was promised. She even managed to coax Ron out of his room to join them. It was the most contented moment that Harry had had at the Burrow all summer.

"You're not talking much, Ronald," Luna said as they were munching on sandwiches that Harry, Hermione, and Ginny had made while Luna had taken to the job of getting Ron to join them.

"I don't really feel like it," he said curtly, taking another bite out of his sandwich.

"Why not? Do you have a glumbumble underneath your collar?" she asked.

"No," Ron muttered with a hint of annoyance. "And I'm not glum."

"So you're angry then."

He glared at her. "Just drop it, okay?"

Ginny punched him in the arm. "Be nice."

He scowled at Ginny and then got up. He looked as though he was about to say something else, but then he changed his mind and stalked away.

Luna's eyes showed their usual surprise in them, but this time they were coupled with concern. "Why is he so very angry?"

"He's mad at me," Harry said, at last fed up with his best friend's attitude.

"What did you do to him?" Luna asked.

"I don't know, exactly," Harry replied. But he was going to find out. He got up and frowned. "I'll be back."

As he walked back towards the house, he heard Ginny say, "I sense a row."

Harry marched into the house and up the stairs. When he finally reached Ron's room, he pounded on the door. "Open up, Ron!"

"Go away! I don't want to talk to you!" Ron yelled from inside.

Harry did not respect his wishes that time. He opened the door, stepped inside, and slammed it shut. Ron was sitting on his bed. "No! I will not go away. I'm sick and tired of you giving Hermione and me the silent treatment. I'm sick of you acting like a git!"

"A git? I'm the git? Then what does that make you?"

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"If I'm a bloody git," Ron said, his face red, "then you're a conniving bastard!"

"Conniving? How am I conniving?"

"Get out of my room," Ron muttered.

"NO! I won't! I want to know exactly why you're so pissed at me!" Harry yelled.

"Like you don't know," Ron spat.

Harry began to pace back and forth. "I know that you obviously haven't gotten over that Hermione and I didn't tell you about us sooner. I'm sorry you received such a shock, Ron, walking in on us snogging, but haven't you ever heard of knocking?"

"I'm glad I did," Ron said, "because now I know exactly what you are."

"Oh, and what's that?" Harry asked.

"A traitor. A manipulative traitor," Ron said in a deadly whisper.

Harry stopped pacing and turned towards Ron, alarmed. "A traitor? How am I a traitor?"

Ron jumped to his feet. "You knew how I felt about Hermione. I told you how I felt about her and you…you…"

Harry felt the color drain from his cheeks. He had, in essence, helped Ron see that his feelings for Hermione were more sibling-like than romantic. He swallowed but discovered that his mouth was dry. "I was trying to do what was best for both of you."

"Bollocks!" Ron cried. "You were trying to convince me that I didn't fancy her so that you wouldn't feel bad when you put the moves on her."

"That's not true!" Harry yelled. "If you truly were in love with Hermione, I would have stepped aside so that the two of you could have had a go at things. But, if I recall correctly, you admitted to fancying Luna too!"

"I DON'T FANCY LUNA!" Ron roared.

"That's not what you said during the Easter holiday."

"Oh, sod off, Head Boy!"

Harry stared at him. "Yeah, I figured you be jealous of that."

"You always have to get everything, don't you? The girl, the badge, the captaincy! Everybody loves Harry bloody Potter! Triwizard champion! Boy Who Lived!"

"I didn't choose that!" Harry yelled. "It's not my fault that Voldemort murdered my parents when I was a baby! It's not my fault that Barty Crouch, Jr. jinxed the Goblet of Fire and put my name in it! I don't want to be famous and you know it!"

"Yeah, whatever," Ron muttered.

"You know what? Fine! FINE! If you want glory all that bad then take it! I'm going to send an owl to McGonagall and resign my Quidditch captaincy. I'll even recommend that you take over. Hell, I resign as Seeker! Then you'll be the hero! That is, if you can manage to have a perfect season!"

Ron scowled. "Keep the damn badge. I don't want your bloody job. I don't want your pity. I just want you to get out."

Just go, he heard Hermione's voice in his head, even though he felt like smacking Ron upside the head to force some sense into him. Just go.

So he did. He walked out on his best friend, feeling that Ron had already done the same thing.