Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: This chapter was one of my big obstacles in turning this fic into what I wanted it to be and here it is, finished! Granted, I still have a lot of work left, but over half of this chapter has been rewritten and is no longer a happy, sappy chapter. It's now, I hope, a lot more angsty. Angst is good. I'd like to thank everyone for their reviews. They're fabulous, as are you!

CHAPTER NINE

BROKEN BLOOD

It was an overcast day when Harry's birthday arrived. He woke up and stretched before getting out of bed and rubbing his eyes. He then got dressed and made his way down the stairs, thinking about possibly grabbing some cereal. When he arrived in the kitchen, he received quite the shock.

"Happy birthday!" Hermione and her parents yelled, completely waking Harry up.

Harry looked at the kitchen table and saw a huge stack of pancakes. "What's all this?" he asked.

Hermione laughed. "A birthday breakfast."

"You don't turn seventeen everyday and from what Hermione tells us, that's a very important age for a wizard," Mr. Granger said.

"You're now officially of age," Hermione said and her eyes sparkled. "You can do magic without getting into trouble."

He hadn't thought of that. As of a minute ago he was still so groggy that he barely recognized that fact that it was his own birthday. "I…I-"

"Sit down, tuck in," Mrs. Granger said, gesturing to his seat. "We don't want the food getting cold."

He did as instructed. Everything smelled so wonderful. Hermione was grinning at him when he took his first bite.

"Well?" she asked.

"Delicious," he said around a mouthful of food. "Mrs. Granger-"

"Don't thank me," Mrs. Granger said. "Hermione made them."

Harry stared, wide-eyed, at Hermione. "Thanks. I didn't know you knew how to make pancakes."

She shrugged. "Mum taught me." She took another bite of her own pancakes. "Well, while you're sitting there, I might as well go get your present."

"Present?" Harry repeated. "You didn't have-"

"Nonsense, of course I did." She smiled brightly. "I'll be right back!"

All he could do was shake his head and shove another forkful of pancakes into his mouth while Hermione dashed from the kitchen.

"Is there anything you want in particular for dinner tonight, Harry?" Mrs. Granger asked.

He shook his head vigorously. "Please, don't go out of your way for me."

Mrs. Granger laughed. "Listen to you. You've never had a proper birthday before, have you?"

"The Weasleys threw me a party last year," he replied absently.

"Well, at least you've had a party. What did the Dursleys do for you?" Mrs. Granger asked.

He stared at her blankly, unable to grasp the fact that he was having this, what he considered to be odd, conversation. "They…they never did anything for me."

She gave him a pitying look that made him feel uncomfortable when Hermione suddenly returned with a small parcel wrapped in scarlet paper. "Happy birthday, Harry!" she said happily and gave it to him.

He gave her a bemused looked before opening the gift and sliding it out onto the table. It looked like a small Muggle pager, except that it didn't have a clip on it. Harry glanced up at Hermione curiously before examining the gift.

"It's a lie detector," she explained. "Really, it is a pager. I asked Mum and Dad to buy one for me months ago and send it to Hogwarts, not that it would work there. But I did some studying and was able to charm it so that it would vibrate if someone told you a lie."

A slow smile crept across his face as he stared at her in awe. That was his Hermione. That was the sheer brilliance of his Hermione. "That, dear Hermione, could get you in trouble with the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office. You wouldn't want Mr. Weasley to have to send the Magical Law Enforcement Squad after you, would you?" he asked teasingly.

"Like that would ever happen," Hermione said, rolling her eyes. Then she gave Harry a nervous glance. "You do like it, don't you?"

"Of course!" he said, slipping the pager into his pocket.

"You're going to try it out first, aren't you, Harry?" Mr. Granger asked, grinning. "I want to see what my Hermione can do!"

"Er-okay. Erm-tell a lie," he said.

"Alright-I served in the Royal Navy," Mr. Granger said.

Harry nearly jumped out of his seat when the pager began to vibrate in his pocket. He took it out and set it on the table as it continued to shake violently.

"Haha!" Mr. Granger shouted in glee. "Look at that!"

"That's brilliant," Mrs. Granger said, giving her daughter a fond look. "Wonderful job, Hermione. That is certainly some gift."

The vibrating eased and Harry reached out for it.

"Wait, I wanted to try it one more time," Mr. Granger said. Harry retracted his hand and waited. "Let's make this a good one." Mr. Granger's eyes sparkled. "Harry is my daughter's boy-"

Just as both Harry and Hermione gulped in fear, a tiny owl came zooming through the Granger's open kitchen window, cutting Mr. Granger off. Harry quickly scooped up the pager and put it back into his pocket.

"Pigwidgeon!" Hermione exclaimed, jumping up to catch the small owl that belonged to Ron. Both she and Harry had to wrestle the hyperactive bird down onto the table before they were able to untie the letter and the package that were tied to his leg. When they finally had the letter and the package, they let him go so that he could fly around the kitchen in a large elliptical path.

"I think I'm with Ron for once in saying that that bird is a menace," Harry said.

"He's not that bad," Hermione argued. "He's just so happy every time he gets to deliver something to someone."

Harry watched as the owl whizzed around above them. "Right."

Hermione handed over Pigwidgeon's delivery. "These are obviously for you."

Harry took them from her and opened up the letter first. Ron's familiar scrawl covered the parchment. He motioned Hermione over so that she could read behind his shoulder.

Harry-

Happy birthday mate! And since I know Hermione is probably reading this with you, hello Hermione! Mum wanted me to send everyone else's presents to you with Pig, but that would probably kill the poor, pathetic thing, so I had to tell her to send Errol. I'm sure he'll be along in a few days' time.

Speaking of presents, I hope you like what I got you! It isn't all that great, I know, and I went in on the twins with it, and Ginny too, for that matter, but it's the thought that counts, right?

I have some excellent news which may brighten up all of our summers. Mum is still moping around the house, but she said the other day that she's thinking about having me invite the both of you over. She said, and I quote, "It just doesn't seem like summer without Harry and Hermione staying with us." So you might get to stay with us! Ginny and I are both pushing for it. We want things to get back to normal, or as normal as they used to be.

See you around!

Ron

Harry glanced up at Hermione. "They want us to go to the Burrow."

"Might," Hermione corrected. "Ron said his mum is thinking about it. Nothing is for certain."

"Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are thinking about inviting you two over to their house for the rest of the summer?" Mrs. Granger asked. She sounded disappointed.

"It seems to be that way," Hermione said. "I'd be happy to go if it would help them feel better, especially after losing a son."

Both Mr. and Mrs. Granger frowned.

"Well, go on, Harry, open you present," Hermione said, taking her seat again at the table.

Harry took the package and opened it quickly. When he saw what was inside, he immediately laughed.

"What is it?" Hermione asked him.

"Fred and George's latest marketing gimmick," Harry replied. "Oh, this will be great-'Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes Presents Magical Mischief Makers: A collection of our finest devices to aid young witches and wizards in pulling pranks on others.' I wonder just what is in here." He opened it up and began to investigate. "Some of their candy, some fireworks…what's this?" He held up a bottle of a clear liquid that seemed to be congealing.

Hermione reached out to take the new item from Harry so that she could examine it. "Sole Stickers." She turned the bottle over as she continued to examine it. "It appears to be some sort of glue-like substance. 'Goo that glues! Keep parents, prefects, and pests off your tail by just pouring some Sole Stickers on the floor. They'll be stuck there for hours. WARNING: Repels cleaning spells.' Wow, it repels cleaning spells? That's quite clever! And quite messy," she said, handing the bottle back to Harry.

Harry chuckled. "The things Fred and George come up with."

"I'm amazed Pigwidgeon was able to carry all of this." She looked up at the tiny owl and grinned. "He's amazing."

Suddenly, as if another animal was begging for attention, Crookshanks jumped up onto Harry's lap. "Crookshanks!" he exclaimed with a laugh. "Where have you been hiding yourself since I got here?"

It was a good question. Harry hadn't seen one swish of the cat's bottlebrush tail since he had arrived at the Granger's house. It seemed as though the squashed-faced animal had been hiding from him.

"He likes to be outside in the backyard most of the time," Hermione told him. "And he has his own kitty condo in the laundry room."

"Kitty condo?" He stared at her. "I'm not asking…"

Everyone laughed and eventually started back in on their food. Harry moved his gift from Ron, Ginny, and the twins off the table and scratched Crookshanks's head idly as he also continued plowing through his amazing pancakes.

After breakfast, Mr. and Mrs. Granger left for work, leaving Harry and Hermione alone. Hermione was leaning against the couch, looking out the window at the overcast sky.

"It looks like it could rain at any moment."

"Yeah."

"I guess we shouldn't try to go outside then."

"Probably not."

Hermione looked behind her shoulder at Harry. "Are you staring at my bum?"

"Appreciating," Harry corrected without any hint of embarrassment at being caught. "I'm appreciating your bum."

Hermione stood up straight and turned towards Harry, a gleam in her eyes. "Mr. Potter, are you flirting with me?"

Now he did blush. Shrugging, he said, "I'm trying to, Miss Granger. I've never really been all that great at it."

She walked up to him and wrapped her arms around his neck, his arms automatically encircling her waist. "I think you do quite well."

He was closing the space between them when suddenly they both heard a loud CRACK followed up by two more. They separated and ran back to the kitchen, staring out the windows. In the Granger's backyard stood three figures Harry recognized immediately.

Hermione opened up the backdoor to let Lupin, Tonks, and Moody in, each of whom was striding hurriedly towards it.

"Professor?" she asked when she closed the door behind them, gazing at them with a half-worried, half-terrified look on her face.

Lupin seemed to be trying to catch his breath, as did both Moody and Tonks. Hermione rushed over and poured each of them a glass of water.

"Thanks," Lupin said, taking the glass gratefully.

"What's happened?" Harry asked, feeling uneasy.

Tonks was looking away from him while Moody stared at the floor, his magical eye revolving slowly. Lupin sighed. "It's the Dursleys, Harry."

Harry's mood suddenly turned sour. "What about them?"

"You have to come with us, Potter, back to Privet Drive," Moody told him.

Harry stepped back, alarmed. "Why?" he asked, angered. "Why do I have to go back? What more protection could I gain from them? That blood curse was supposed to end when I turn seventeen."

"That protective charm did end today, Potter," Moody said sharply. "The Dursley home is no longer a safe haven for you and they know it!"

Harry stopped short. "They?"

"The Death Eaters," Lupin said. He sighed. "Harry, the Death Eaters attacked number four, Privet Drive. You have to come with us."

"What about Hermione?" he asked automatically as his mind had gone blank.

"She can come with us," Lupin said. "It's safe there now. The Order is there."

"Come on," Moody said. "Tonks, where's the portkey?"

"Right here," she said, fumbling forward and holding out a silver tea kettle that looked an awful lot like Aunt Petunia's. She kept giving Harry nervous glances.

Moody took it from her as Lupin explained, "We've set it for five minutes after we arrived, so you two better grab hold."

"You got your wands, don't you?" Moody growled. Harry nodded, as did Hermione. "Good."

"Almost time," Lupin said, looking at his watch as everyone grabbed a part of the tea kettle.

Suddenly, Harry felt that familiar tug from behind his navel as he lurched forward. When he landed, he found himself in the Dursley's front yard, the others around him.

"Aren't we afraid that somebody just saw us?" Harry asked.

"Moody and I cast an anti-Muggle charm around the house when we arrived. Everything thinks they're just looking at plain old number four, nothing special about it," Lupin explained, ushering Harry forward, Hermione rushing along behind him.

"Professor, please," Harry said, stopping. "Tell me what's happened. Why the rush? You said it's safe here now. It's not like they're being attacked right now and we're coming to help them."

Lupin frowned. "It's your aunt, Harry. Please, you have to come inside."

Eyes widened, Harry rushed forward after Lupin. "Is she hurt? Did the Death Eaters hurt the Dursleys?"

Again, Lupin frowned. "Just come inside."

"Remus-" Tonks said suddenly.

"Yes?" he asked, just as he was about to open the front door.

"You should tell him," she said. "Prepare him for what he's about to see."

Moody's eye swiveled around, scanning the area. "We have to get inside soon."

Lupin sighed. "Nymphadora's right, of course. I should prepare you." His shoulders slumped. "Harry, I'm so sorry…your aunt is dead."

It took a moment for what Lupin had said to register in Harry. "What?" he gasped.

"Your aunt, Harry-she's gone."

"Murdered," Moody said gruffly.

He stared at the front door, memories of his aunt flooding him. The way she mistreated him for years, how she always liked to spy on the neighbors, her refusal to talk about his mother, how she spoiled Dudley, those few moments during the summer before his sixth year where she actually showed some human kindness toward him…

"Harry?" Hermione asked, pulling him out of his reverie.

He swallowed. "Is she still in there?"

"Yes," Lupin said sadly. "We're keeping your uncle and cousin in the living room. Your aunt is in the master bedroom."

"How?" Harry murmured. "How did this happen?"

"Let's get inside and I'll tell you everything that we know," Lupin assured him.

"Are we still in some sort of danger out here?" Harry asked.

"We could be if we don't get inside," Moody said. "Who knows if You-Know-Who will send backup since his Death Eaters got chased off by us. You-Know-Who wants every Order member dead!"

"So you think Voldemort is going to send some more Death Eaters here? To what? Kill Uncle Vernon and Dudley?" Harry asked. "What could he possibly want with them? It's me he wants-I know it."

"You're right, Harry, it is you that he wants," Lupin said. "He attacked because the blood charm was over and he must have thought that you were still here. He'll be angry now knowing that you're not. The point is, Harry, that we don't want you standing outside in broad daylight in case he does send more Death Eaters to attack. You'll be safer in the house, where you can hide if you have to."

"You want me to hide if Death Eaters show up?" Harry said, affronted. "I can handle Death Eaters!"

"We can't risk your life," Lupin explained. "Dumbledore has told us explicitly not to…not that he needed to tell me that," he added.

"Then why is he here? Doesn't that put him at risk?" Hermione asked, stepping closer to Harry protectively.

"We brought him here because he needs to know," Moody said sternly. "We brought him here because Dumbledore and Remus both agreed that Potter would not have liked us just to come by and say, 'Oh, Harry, hate to tell you this, but your aunt is dead. See you later!' I don't think Potter would have appreciated that at all."

"No, I wouldn't have," Harry said quietly. "Alright, let's go in."

They stepped up to the house. When Lupin pushed open the door, he told them, "Arabella was the one to send the alarm."

"Mrs. Figg?"

"Yes. She's been checking over the Dursley residence, even after you left. We were trying to give the illusion that you were still here," Lupin explained. "She came by, as her routine dictated, when she spotted Death Eaters sneaking into the house. That's when she rushed home and Floo-ed us immediately."

"She's hooked up to the Floo network?"

"Yes. Most Squibs are. And," Lupin added, "Dumbledore made sure of it. She's a very valuable, very secret, member of the Order."

Harry whirled on them as they went through the threshold. "You mean to tell me that Voldemort doesn't know about her?"

"No," Lupin said simply. "At least, we don't think he does."

"You don't think?" Hermione repeated, staring at the professor.

"If he did," Tonks said reasonably, "he would have sent somebody to kill her by now, wouldn't he have?"

Inside the house were at least four other Order members, who nodded their heads at Lupin, Moody, and Tonks when they entered. One of them Harry recognized as being Dedalus Diggle.

Harry turned to Moody, who was quiet. "What d'you think?"

"I think we all need to get through this door," Moody said gruffly.

Harry frowned, but stepped back to let everyone else enter. Once Moody closed the door, he repeated his question.

"I think," Moody said, "that You-Know-Who knows that a Squib is living in the neighborhood, but think about it, Potter. Why wouldn't he care?"

"Because he thinks that Squibs are-"

"POTTER!" came a howl from the living room. Harry turned to see his uncle staring at him, both angry and anguished, with Dudley sitting on the couch behind him. Both of them were still in their pajamas. "YOU! THIS IS YOUR FAULT!" Just as he made a move towards Harry, Lupin, Tonks, and Moody had their wands out, pointed at the beefy man.

"Sit down, Dursley," Moody ordered. "Killing Potter won't bring your wife back."

"Let me make you some tea," Tonks said soothingly, her wand still pointed at him.

"I-want-him-OUT!" Uncle Vernon yelled.

"You're in no position to make demands, Dursley. Sit down and let Tonks make you a cup of tea," Moody said, jerking his wand threateningly.

"Come on, Harry," Lupin said quietly. "Let's let Nymphadora and Moody take care of your uncle and cousin while the rest of us go talk upstairs."

Harry stared at his uncle's purple face and nodded. He and Hermione followed Lupin up the stairs to Harry's old bedroom, which Dudley had converted back into his old junk room after Harry had left.

Lupin waved his wand and boxes scattered off of the bed. "Sit down," he said. "I'll tell you everything I can about what happened."

"Just start at the beginning," Harry said. "Mrs. Figg saw the Death Eaters enter and then rushed home to notify the Order…"

"-And then we Apparated here the moment we heard about it. We were lucky that we had so many members at headquarters when this broke out. There were three Death Eaters and we easily overpowered them, driving them away. But we were too late-your aunt was already dead. They were getting ready to kill your uncle and cousin when we burst through the door."

"Did you recognized who the Death Eaters were?" Harry asked.

"The Carrows and Gibbon," Lupin replied.

A memory nagged at Harry. "I don't think I've heard of them."

"Probably not. The Carrows, like the Lestranges, were captured and sent to Azkaban. They broke out the same time the Lestranges did, although they weren't the deadliest of Death Eaters to break out. That title definitely went to the Lestranges and Antonin Dolohov. Dolohov, of course, is back in Azkaban for the third time. Gibbon is not a senior Death Eater by any means. He's not a leader, he's not very powerful, and he tends to make mistakes. It's a wonder why Voldemort sent him on this mission," Lupin said.

"Probably because he's setting up another attack," Hermione said.

Lupin frowned. "That's a possibility." He sighed and looked over at Harry. "I assume you want to see her?"

Harry nodded a little. "You said you found her in the master bedroom?"

"Yes. She had just finished getting ready for the day. Your uncle and cousin were still asleep."

"Yeah," Harry murmured. "She was always the first one up."

"Come," Lupin said, standing up and placing a fatherly hand on his shoulder. "I'll take you."

Hermione jumped up to accompany them.

"Hermione-" Harry began quietly.

"Where you go, I go," she said.

He shook his head vehemently. "I'd rather you not see another dead body. For your own sanity I want you to see as few victims in this war as you can. Please," he said, lowering his voice, "don't add my aunt with Percy, June, and Sinead on the list of people you've seen dead."

"Harry-"

"Please," he pleaded with her. "Please, do this for me."

She closed her eyes and nodded her head. "I'll go downstairs and see if I can help Moody and Tonks."

"Thank you," he murmured.

When she left, Lupin escorted Harry to the master bedroom, where his aunt was waiting.

"She's a good friend," Lupin murmured before he opened the door.

"Yeah, she is," Harry agreed.

"And she cares about you a great deal," Lupin added before whispering, "I had friends like that."

"I wish they were still here," Harry said.

Lupin's eyes betrayed his sadness, but he quickly cleared his throat and said, "Yes, well, let's get this over with. We can't stand outside this door all day."

"Right," Harry said, preparing himself.

When Lupin opened the door, Harry stepped inside. There, lying next to her wardrobe, was his aunt. Her face was etched in surprise and fear. It was a look that Harry had never seen on his aunt before; it was so disturbing that he had to turn away from her.

"Was it quick? Did they just kill her or did they torture her first?" he asked.

"I don't know. They were after you and they probably didn't want any witnesses, so they decided to kill the Dursleys. I've been discussing this with Moody," Lupin told him. "We've agreed that they probably split up-the Carrows to kill you and Gibbon to kill the Dursleys. You're a wizard, so you're the threat. Three Muggles are nothing against a wizard armed with a wand.

"The Carrows must have gone to your room and saw it was empty, so they began to search the house. Meanwhile, Gibbon found the master bedroom and caught your aunt, wide awake and ready for the day. He killed her instantly out of surprise. We can assume she screamed, which probably woke up your uncle and cousin. Moody believes it's at that moment that the Carrows figured out that you weren't here and called up to Gibbon, who was about to kill your uncle. We've been trying to talk to him, to get him to tell us what happened once he woke up, but he's been rather distraught. They may have tried to interrogate him."

"I doubt that got them anywhere. He tends not to speak when he's terrified," Harry said. "Then again, what color was his face when you arrived? Purple?"

"No. Very white," Lupin said shortly.

"He was scared," Harry confirmed. "Still, we should be worried, shouldn't we?"

"Yes, I think we should. He won't tell us what happened. He refuses to speak to us at all. The first words he spoke were when he yelled at you downstairs."

"That comes naturally for him," Harry muttered and glanced back down at his aunt's body. "Will the Order remove her?"

"We're awaiting Dumbledore's letter to know. We may just have your uncle call the Muggle police, however, I'm not quite sure that would be good. Your uncle or your cousin may become suspects."

"They both did have violent tendencies," Harry said, sighing. "I think you're right. Don't involve the police. Tonks is an auror. Maybe she and Kingsley can investigate this."

"It's possible," Lupin said, but he didn't sound too convincing. "Why don't we go downstairs? Perhaps your uncle is talking now."

When they returned to the living room, they found Uncle Vernon and Dudley sitting in a corner, trying to keep themselves as far away from the wizards in the room. But when Vernon spotted Harry, he jumped up, his face turning purple.

Harry glanced around at the others, feeling obligated to do something. "Er-would you mind…I mean, could I have a moment alone with my uncle and cousin?"

Lupin nodded. "Absolutely, Harry. We'll go into the kitchen."

"Just make sure you can get to your wand quickly," Moody muttered in warning.

He waited until he was alone with his surviving relatives, although with the link that was his aunt gone, he was quite sure that Vernon would never call him "nephew" again. Harry, however, couldn't muster anything up enough to care about that trifle detail.

Vernon stood there as Dudley sat, both of them staring at Harry.

"I-er-I really don't know what to say." He frowned. "I'm sorry. I didn't know-I never expected them to come after you."

Uncle Vernon scowled. "Your sorry means nothing to us, Potter. I can't use your sorry to bring my wife back!"

"I bet you don't even really care," said Dudley from his corner.

"You'd expect me not to, considering how you lot treated me like crap all these years," Harry said fiercely, "but for some odd reason I do. I care that my mother's sister is dead, and I'm sorry that she is."

"You hated us," Dudley said.

"You hated me first," Harry shot back. "I tried to earn your praise when I was little, but after awhile a kid just learns that he won't be appreciated for anything, so he stops seeking the approval from those who constantly deny him of it. None of you ever treated me like I was a part of this family. I was always, 'oh, him.' I was someone to be kicked, punched, and yelled at. Someone to lock in a cupboard underneath the stairs. Yet, through all of that, I still care that Aunt Petunia is gone."

Uncle Vernon's face was extremely purple now. "Don't…you don't have permission to say her name, boy!"

"Very well," Harry murmured. "But know this: those people who killed her? I am the only person who can stop them. I have to kill their leader, the one who sent them. Perhaps, then, you could help me out."

Vernon stared at him incredulously. "How?"

"Tell me what happened after you woke up. Who was there? What did they say?"

Vernon stared down at his feet, his face still purple.

"I know it's hard," Harry said quietly. "I've had to relive moments like that myself."

Vernon frowned at him. "Are you really the only one who can stop them? You, a scrawny little boy?"

"I'm not exactly a little boy anymore, Uncle, but yes, I am."

Vernon huffed out a breath and sat down. "I heard her scream. That's what woke me up. All I saw was this green light and when I realized what was happening, she was already dead, lying on the floor with that…look on her face. The-the-the-"

"Death Eater?" Harry supplied.

"Monster," Vernon correctly harshly, "turned that…thing you people carry on me and was starting to say something when his mates called out to him. I won't ever forget that sadistic grin on his face."

"Do you remember what he was about to say?" Harry asked.

Vernon shook his head. "Some nonsense. 'Abra,' 'Avanda,' 'Avaida,'-"

"Avada?"

"Yeah, that's it," he said miserably. "What the hell was he trying to do, anyway?"

"Kill you," Harry replied, frowning. "Avada Kedavra is the Killing Curse."

Vernon's face went from purple to pale. "Oh."

"Then what happened? You said the others called out to him?"

"Yes. They called out to him and he left. I heard them talking, saying 'He isn't here. The Dark Lord said that he would be here!' I assume they were talking about you," he added darkly. "Then the one told the other two to go ahead and kill everyone in the house. That's when I heard the front door blow open and your friends arrive."

"So you never said anything to them?"

"No."

"What about Dudley?"

"No."

"Okay," Harry murmured. "Thank you."

"I don't see how any of this will help you, Potter," Vernon muttered.

"I had to make sure that I was getting the whole story," Harry told him. "I am truly sorry that this day happened."

Vernon slumped in his seat. "So am I."

"Someone is going to come by and get Aunt Petunia. We think it's better than calling the police. We don't want you to become suspects in your own wife's murder," Harry said. "We know who killed her."

"Well, that's comforting," Vernon muttered.

"Good-bye," Harry murmured.

Vernon didn't say anything until Harry was at the threshold to the kitchen. "Potter." When Harry turned back towards him, he said, "Don't ever come back."

Harry, to his credit, said nothing and walked into the kitchen. "Your theory is correct," he told Lupin and Moody. "And, he never told them where I had gone."

"That's not surprising," Moody said. "But it's good to know.

"May I suggest something?" Harry asked.

"Sure," Lupin said.

"I don't know if you're aware, but Bellatrix Lestrange is looking for the headquarters."

"Oh, we know all about that," Moody said. "Dumbledore told us about your letter to him."

"Well then, I think it's time that the Order moved to a new headquarters. I don't think it's safe there anymore," Harry said.

Lupin nodded. "You're probably right. I'm surprised Bellatrix hasn't come looking for Kreacher after Sirius died."

Harry blinked. He had completely forgotten about Kreacher. "Can't we get rid of him somehow?"

"Are you suggesting we kill him?" Moody asked.

"No!" Harry said, very aware that Hermione was listening in on the conversation.

"Then what can we do? He's your house-elf, after all," Moody reminded him.

"He's been keeping to himself these days," Lupin told him. "I actually suspect that his health has been failing."

"Really?"

Lupin nodded. "He was a lot thinner the last time I saw him. He's a very old house-elf."

"I'll figure out what to do with Kreacher later," Harry said.

"In the meantime, we'll express your concern to Dumbledore," Lupin told him.

"Thanks. Can we get out of here now?" Harry asked, indicating to himself and Hermione, who was standing over by the kitchen counter.

"Of course," Lupin said. He took a piece of ribbon out of his pocket and his wand. "Portus," he murmured before handing the ribbon to Harry. "It'll leave in a minute."

Hermione rushed forward and grabbed a piece of the ribbon, standing next to Harry. "Professor," she said quickly, "Harry and I received flyers for Apparition lessons starting tomorrow in Diagon Alley."

"Yes?"

"Should we go? We won't be able to learn how to Apparate any other way," she said.

Lupin thought for a moment. "Take your wands, stay together, and don't wander. That should keep you safe."

"Okay. Thank you," she said.

When the minute was up, Harry felt the portkey pull him by the naval. Soon he found himself back inside the Granger's home.

Harry let go of the ribbon. "Well, this has been a crappy birthday."

Hermione frowned. "I'm so sorry, Harry."

He shook his head. "What could I have done? I wouldn't have been able to save her even if I had been there." He laughed suddenly. "Why can't I live a normal wizard's life?"

Hermione frowned again. "Because you have a destiny bigger than anyone you know, and you can't escape it, no matter how hard you try."

His shoulders slumped. "No, I can't, can't I?"

She stepped forward and embraced him. "None of us can."

"It's up to me to kill Voldemort," Harry murmured. "I hope that when the time comes I'm ready."

"I think you will be," she said.

He kissed the top of her head. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Everything."

She hugged him tighter. "You're welcome."