Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: To think I just finished this chapter Sunday night. Here it is, already ready for you lot to read. Big thanks to my beta, Charmaine, for that one. She's currently got the third-to-last chapter in her hands and tomorrow, I'll hand her the penultimate one. All I have to do right now is finish the final chapter. Thanks for the reviews, everyone, and sorry about the cliff hanger at the end of this chapter.

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

N.E.W.T.S

June meant two things: the Dueling Contest and N.E.W.T.s. Harry, Ron and Hermione immediately signed up for the contest, which was about the only thing not N.E.W.T. related that they were doing. As it was, Hermione was nagging both Harry and Ron when they weren't doing something that involved either homework, studying, or taking care of bodily needs.

June also meant one other thing; it was time to start panicking.

The first of the seventh years to lose control and have a nervous breakdown was Hannah Abbott. She flipped out in Charms, causing Professor Flitwick to escort her down to the hospital wing to drink a Calming Draught.

The Saturday of the Dueling Contest arrived. When Harry walked into the common room after taking a nice long shower, he found it filled with students whispering curses and jinxes rapidly under their breath or practicing wrist movements. He shook his head and made his way over to Hermione, who-as was usual in June-deeply immersed in reading one of her textbooks.

"Ready to defend your crown?" he asked her, sitting down.

"Ready to lose my crown to you, more like it," she said, still reading.

"I wouldn't necessarily say that," he said.

"Oh yes, I would. This is one of the few times when your modesty is kind of annoying," she said.

He gave her an amused look. "I'm sorry."

"Just promise me one thing, okay Harry?"

"What's that?"

"If we're in the final round together, don't hold back."

"I won't. I promise," he said.

She looked over the top of her book at him. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Ron joined them fifteen minutes later. He questioned Harry about which spells were the most beneficial in a duel and Harry answered him. When they noticed that people were beginning to leave for breakfast, they got up and followed.

The topic of conversation around the Great Hall was, of course, the Dueling Contest. Harry was very popular. People kept dropping by and asking him if they were pronouncing a particular jinx correctly. It seemed to take him a long time to get through his corn flakes.

Eventually, breakfast ended and all of the students meandered out into the entrance hall to await the beginning of the contest. Luna walked over to join them and gave Ron a kiss.

"I'm participating in the contest this year," she said dreamily. "Ronald said it's fun."

"It is fun," Ron said. "Until you get beaten."

Harry saw Filch dragging out three tables with the help of some second years he had probably bullied into helping him. Professor Trelawney was hovering nearby, wearing a distracted look on her face. Professor Sinestra, the Astronomy teacher, was also waiting with three sheets of parchment in her hands. When Filch had the tables in place, she handed him one of the sheets before giving another one to Trelawney.

Filch glanced down at each sheet of parchment before walking up two steps. "Quiet, you lot!" he yelled and, for once, the students listened to his command, eager to begin the contest. "The professors and I have to check all those participating in the contest in. First, second, and third years, go see Professor Sinestra. Fourth and fifth years, see me. Sixth and seventh years are to see Professor Trelawney. Got it? Move!"

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Luna quickly joined the line of those sixth and seventh years checking in with Professor Trelawney.

Trelawney twittered about nervously when she checked off their names. "Miss Lovegood, you're in Group Two. Mr. Weasley, Group Three. Miss Granger, Group Four. Mr. Potter, you're in Group One. My Inner Eye is telling me that you'll do exceptionally well in this contest," she said, handing each of them a slip of parchment and a pin with their respective numbers on it.

"Her Inner Eye didn't need to tell her that," Ron muttered as they entered the Great Hall once again. "Anyone in their right mind knows that Harry's going to do exceptionally well."

Once everyone had been checked in, Dumbledore stepped onto the stage that had been erected in the middle of the Hall in which the main events took place on. The Hall went silent.

"Before I explain the rules, I'd like to introduce our main event judge for today. He is a very good friend of mine and has a lot of experience when it comes to dueling. Please welcome Alastor Moody," he said as the door to the antechamber off the Hall opened.

Moody walked out, his magical eye whizzing all around. There was a smattering of applause, although Harry, Ron, and Hermione clapped as loudly as they could. He made his way over to the stage and stepped up onto it; each step he took reverberated with a loud clunk.

"Thank you, Alastor," Dumbledore said, shaking his hand before going back to the students. "The rest of the staff, myself included, will be on the floor conducting matches.

"The rules are simple. In order to win, your opponent's wand must be in your hand. You must get it from them. Once you do, your floor judge will proclaim you the winner of your duel and you will give your opponent's wand back. The losing opponent will leave the Great Hall until the semifinals. In other words, it's just like last year," he said with a smile. "In a moment, the judges will inform you where to go to participate. Good luck!"

They waited. Suddenly, the professors raised their wands and sparks flew into the air, forming words to direct the students where to go. When Harry saw his group, he waved good-bye to Ron, Hermione, and Luna, who were also heading toward their respective groups.

Harry's group was near the stage where a stern Professor McGonagall stood. When all of the students had gathered, she said, "We're doing four matches at a time, like last year until we dwindle it down to one group champion. First group is Kinser versus Frampton, Creevey versus Sheldon, Greengrass versus Abbott, and Perks versus Li."

Harry stepped back as the others got into two rows, wands out.

"Give yourselves some room," Professor McGonagall said. "You will face your opponent, salute, and then bow. Then you'll begin on my command."

Each of them saluted and bowed to their opponents before standing with their wands at the ready.

"Begin!"

Harry watched each duel with interest. The first to end was that of Li and Perks with Li as the victorious one. Sixth-year Frampton won his duel against fellow sixth-year Kinser, while both Hannah Abbott and Colin Creevey won their duels, much to Harry's delight.

"Next are Roth versus Melling, Potter versus Macmillan, MacDougal versus Lynch, and Turpin versus Parkinson."

Harry traded places with Colin, giving him a broad smile as he did so. He turned to face Ernie Macmillan, who stood with his wand out, regarding Harry with a grimace.

Harry took out his wand and saluted Ernie at the same time that Ernie saluted him. Both of them bowed to each other.

"Begin!" McGonagall said.

Ernie waved his wand. "Impedimenta!"

"Protego!" Harry cried and bounced the jinx back at him.

He ducked and pointed his wand at Harry. "Occido!"

Harry fell as Ernie's perfectly aimed Jelly-Legs Jinx hit him. His legs felt like didn't have any bones in them. Above him, Ernie had a triumphant look on his face.

"Expell-"

"Petrificus Totalus!" Harry shouted, placing Ernie in the Full Body Bind. He toppled over. "Finite," he murmured, pointing his wand at his legs. He got up and grabbed Ernie's wand.

"Potter wins," Professor McGonagall said, giving him an approving look. He knew that she was pleased that the two Gryffindors in the group had defeated their opponents.

Harry waved his wand over Ernie, muttered the countercurse, and then helped the Hufflepuff up.

"There's no shame in losing to you, Harry," Ernie said, taking his wand back. "Good luck with the rest of the contest."

"Thanks, Ernie," he said.

The next person Harry had to face was Colin Creevey, who looked both excited and terrified by the fact that he had to duel against Harry Potter. When Professor McGonagall told them to begin, he emitted a little squeak.

Harry smirked. "Rictusempra!"

Colin was overcome with a fit of giggles as the Tickling Charm did its magic. Harry stood back and watched him.

"Re-Relash-"

"Langlock!" Harry said quickly before Colin could get the curse fully out of his mouth.

Now Colin was giggling uncontrollably with his tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth. With a casual flick of his wand, Harry sent Colin's wand flying. He muttered a countercurse for Colin and then, pointing his wand at Colin's, he said, "Accio wand."

"Potter wins," McGonagall said when Colin's wand landed in Harry's hand.

Harry handed Colin back his wand. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Oh, I'll be okay. Nice dueling with you, Harry!" he said happily and walked out of the Great Hall.

In the third round, Harry handily defeated Su Li of Ravenclaw with a Trip Jinx that sent her wand flying into his outstretched hand. In the fourth round, Harry faced off against Pansy Parkinson. She managed to rip one of the sleeves of his shirt off with a well-placed Severing Charm, but he gave her a horrible case of boils that caused her to drop her wand.

"Accio wand!" Harry shouted, ending the match.

He wandered over to the doorway to the entrance hall where Ron stood with Luna, watching the quarterfinal of Group Four for the sixth and seventh years.

"Hey, who knocked you two out?" he asked.

"Draco Malfoy," Luna said with a shrug.

Ron, however, was beaming. "Who says I got knocked out? I just finished off Zacharias Smith to win my group," he said proudly.

"Excellent! Good job," Harry said, smiling. "Who're we watching now?"

"Hermione and Ginny," Ron said. "I'm not quite sure who to root for."

Harry turned to watch. Hermione and Ginny were locked in a fierce duel, flashes of light and sparks going every which way.

"Stupefy!" Ginny yelled, but Hermione ducked underneath it.

Quick as lightning, Hermione conjured up seven little twittering birds and successfully deflected Ginny's powerful Bat-Bogey Hex before crying, "Oppugno!"

The seven birds zoomed towards Ginny and began to peck at her. She waved her wand around in a large circle and shouted, "Immobulus!"

Hermione took this opportunity to attack. "Expelliarmus!" she yelled and Ginny's wand shot out of her hand before she had an opportunity to deflect the charm. She dived for it, but it shot toward Hermione, who caught it.

"Miss Granger wins!" Professor Flitwick squeaked.

Ginny sighed. "Nonverbal Summoning Charm. Nice," she said, walking over to Hermione, who held out her wand.

"It was fun dueling with you, Ginny," she said.

"Yeah, but did you have to send those birds at me?" Ginny asked.

"Sorry," Hermione murmured. "I thought it would be an interesting trick."

"Sure was." They joined Harry, Ron, and Luna.

Harry kissed Hermione on her forehead. "Good job," he murmured.

"Thanks," she said, smiling. "Shall I assume you made it, too?"

He nodded. "So did Ron."

She turned to Ron. "That's great! Congratulations!"

"Thanks," Ron said, grinning.

"Has anyone seen Neville?" Ginny asked.

"Yes," Luna said. "He went off to the boys' bathroom sporting a bloody nose."

"What?" Ginny exclaimed. "Who did that?"

"Draco Malfoy," Luna told her. "He got really nasty with Neville in their final."

Ginny was seething. "Excuse me," she said and left.

The semifinals began not too long afterward. Harry watched the first two rounds vaguely before it was time for him, Ron, Hermione, and Malfoy, who looked very disgruntled, to go on the stage.

"We'll have Weasley versus Granger on my right and Potter versus Malfoy on my left," Moody said gruffly.

Ron grinned at Hermione. "I'll go easy on you," he said with a wink.

She rolled her eyes. "Thanks, Ron."

Harry faced Malfoy, who glared at him. He smirked. "I guess you fancied a rematch from last year, eh Malfoy?" he asked.

"Shut up, Potter," he spat.

Harry saluted him with his wand and bowed, although he kept his eyes on Malfoy at all times.

"Begin!" Moody barked.

Malfoy began quickly. "Conjunctiva!" he yelled, but Harry was quicker.

"Tergiversatio!" Harry shouted, using the Blasting Charm on him while before dodging the Conjuctivitis Curse Malfoy had sent at him.

Malfoy was Blasted right off of the stage and landed in a heap on the floor. Harry walked over to the edge of the stage and stared down at him.

"Incarcerous!" Malfoy yelled. Thick ropes shot out of his wand and wrapped themselves around Harry.

Harry backed away from the edge quickly as Malfoy jumped back on stage. "Diffindo!" he shouted quickly, cutting the ropes as Malfoy yelled, "Impedimenta!"

"Protego!" Harry cried in the nick of time.

"Stupe-"

"Levicorpus!" Harry roared, flicking his wand upward.

Malfoy was suddenly hauled into the air by his ankle. He growled in frustration and pointed his wand at Harry. "Incendio!"

A fireball shot out of Malfoy's wand and hit Harry in the shoulder. With a quick flick of his wand, he put it out, leaving a hole in his shirt where the fabric had burned. In the meantime, Malfoy was trying to get himself down.

Angered, Harry scanned the crowd of people who were watching them eagerly. Finally, he found what he was looking for. He pointed his wand at a third year boy chewing gum. The boy froze in fright.

"Waddiwasi!" Harry shouted, flicking his wand straight at Malfoy. The gum shot out of the boy's mouth and up Malfoy's nose. Malfoy shrieked in disgust. Then, with a flick of his wand downward, Harry released him.

Malfoy tore the gum out of his nose and threw it at Harry, who Vanished it before it even hit him. Malfoy pointed his wand at him, his face pink with rage. "Locomotor M-"

Harry sent the Trip Jinx at him and had Malfoy sprawled on the floor again. "Expelliarmus!" he shouted. "Accio wand."

"Potter wins," Moody said.

Harry tossed Malfoy's wand at his feet before turning around. Ron and Hermione had already finished their duel. Ron was looking very put out while Hermione was smiling.

"I take it Hermione won," he said when they got off the stage.

"She used the Impediment Jinx on me and then walked right up and took my wand out of my hand," Ron said, scowling.

"Yes. Thank you for making it easy, Ron," Hermione said, smirking.

"So it's you and me in the final again," Harry said, grinning at her. "Another rematch."

"Yes," she murmured as the first through third year finalists got on stage.

Harry turned to watch the duel and was pleased to see that Hunter was one of the two in the final round. The duel lasted for a solid fifteen minutes before Hunter pointed his wand at his opponent and cried, "Tarantallegra!" Harry was filled with pride.

"Expelliarmus!" Hunter yelled and his opponent's wand clattered to the floor; he rushed forward and scooped it up.

"Farrell wins and is the First through Third Year Champion," Moody said, his magical eye swiveling over to Dumbledore, who walked through the crowd to present Hunter with his crown.

When Hunter jumped down off of the stage, Harry stepped forward as the Fourth and Fifth Year Final began.

"Hunter!" he called, causing the second year to look up.

"Oh, hey Harry!" Hunter said happily, the crown placed firmly on his head.

"Congratulations," Harry said. "That was some charm you used."

He laughed. "Yeah, some bloke with green eyes and glasses told me about it."

Harry grinned and saw Dylan and Ally jumping down excitedly, waiting for Hunter to return. "You'd better get back to your friends."

"Yeah. See you, Harry. Good luck with your final!"

He walked back over to where Ron and Hermione stood. Ginny, Neville, and Luna had joined them, the last of whom was consoling Ron. Harry took Hermione's hand in his and watched a fifth year Ravenclaw defeat a fifth year Slytherin for the crown. Then it was Harry and Hermione's turn.

Harry climbed up on stage and walked to his spot. Hermione did the same. They both took out their wands, saluted each other, and bowed. Harry had a hard time keeping the grin off of his face.

"Begin," Moody said gruffly when Harry and Hermione had their wands at the ready.

Neither moved. Harry was waiting for Hermione to attack first and she was waiting for him. His smile grew and the crowd started to chuckle.

"Just jinx her already, Potter!" one of them called, laughing.

"Hex him, Hermione!" another one called.

Still, neither of them moved. Finally, Hermione broke and yelled, "Rictusempra!"

The spell hit him so fast that Harry didn't have time to react. He doubled over, laughing as he felt like a dozen hands were tickling him all over. In between giggles, he pointed his wand at her and uttered the incantation for the Babbling Curse, but she deflected it. He quickly pointed his wand at himself and murmured, "Finite."

Standing up straight, he stared at her. She stared back at him, grinning. She tried a Hair-Thickening Charm on him, but he used a Shield Charm against her and sent it back at her. She did the same, sending it back at him, and he once again used a Shield Charm to send it back at her. They played this spell tennis for a solid minute before Harry sent another charm at it to knock it out of the way. Hermione used the opportunity to hit him with an Antler Jinx.

He felt long antlers sprout from his head. Reaching up to feel them, he laughed, as did the crowd. He Vanished them quickly and sent a Twitchy-Ear Hex at her, causing her to laugh as well when her ears started to move uncontrollably.

She sent a Fur Spell at him, causing an enormous amount of thick fur to start growing on him. With a flick of his wand, he sent a Sponge-Knees Jinx at her and while she deflected it, he ran his wand over himself, getting rid of the fur.

"Langlock!" Hermione cried, sticking his tongue to the roof of his mouth.

He smiled ruefully at her. He had taught her that spell, among several others. He pointed his wand at her and thought, Muffliato!

Knowing that Hermione's ears where now filled with a strange buzzing noise, Harry thought of the countercurse to free his tongue before he shouted, "Silencio!"

Hermione pointed her wand at him. Suddenly, his legs jerked as he went into a sort of crazy dance. "Confiture Digitale!" he yelled just as she released herself from the two spells he had placed upon her and cried, "Expelliarmus!"

Harry's wand clattered behind him as Hermione's fingers lost grip on her wand. She tried to pick it up, but the Jelly-Fingers Jinx Harry had placed upon them wouldn't allow her to grip anything. She picked it up using the palms of her hands, pointed it at herself, and muttered, "Finite Incantatem!"

Harry, meanwhile, was crawling toward his wand. His fingers enclosed around it just as he heard Hermione yell, "Accio wand!"

He hung onto his wand for dear life. "Aguamenti!" he shouted, sending a jet of water at her, but she waved her wand up and down, creating a barrier that the water could not pass through.

"Petrificus Totalus!"

"Protego!" Harry cried from his place on the floor. He waved his wand over his legs, causing them to stop twitching.

Hermione flicked her wand upward and suddenly, Harry felt himself rise into the air by his ankle.

"Liberacorpus!" Harry said, but thought Expelliarmus instead. Hermione's wand flew out of her hand. She stood for a second, shocked, giving Harry all the time he needed. "Accio wand!" he cried, then thought Liberacorpus, dropping himself onto the floor. He jumped up in time to catch Hermione's wand.

"Potter wins," Moody said and the crowd clapped.

He walked over and gave Hermione back her wand. "Sorry about that," he said.

She shook her head. "No, don't. You did what you had to do. Congratulations," she said, kissing him on the cheek.

"Mr. Potter," Professor Dumbledore said, holding a gleaming crown with a ruby, black diamond, sapphire, and emerald encrusted on it. "Congratulations." He placed the crown on his head.

"Good job, Potter," Moody said, shaking his hand.

"I knew you'd do it, mate," Ron said, jumping up onto the stage with Harry.

Harry grinned. Even though he had to beat his girlfriend to do it, he was very happy to be the Dueling Champion.

*****

Harry didn't spend a whole lot of time celebrating. He was so bogged down with homework as the professors spent classes reviewing all of their material that Harry was sure his brain would eventually leak out of his ears. Before he knew it, the examiners had arrived and it was time for him and his fellow seventh years to take their N.E.W.T.s.

He sat down at breakfast the morning of their first exam, staring at the schedule that Professor McGonagall had given them the Friday beforehand. Ron was munching on some French toast while Hermione sat, reading her Charms book (that was their first exam), not eating or saying a word. She had been like that since she noticed the examiners arrive. The only time she did ever talk was to tell somebody off for speaking too loudly and interrupting her.

"'Ermione, you've got to eat something," Ron said, swallowing.

She didn't say anything but rather kept right on reading.

"Hermione," Harry murmured, "please eat."

She looked up at him. "I can't, Harry. If I stop studying, I know I'll fail!"

He reached over and took her textbook from her before taking both of her hands in his. "No, you won't. You'll do the best out of everyone in our year."

Her hands shook slightly. "Do you really mean that?"

He smiled. "Of course I do. Besides, we've two whole hours after breakfast to study while the fifth years take their O.W.L.s."

"Yeah. We've still got plenty of time to study," Ron said. "Try some of the toast. It's delicious!"

Hermione sighed and grudgingly grabbed a piece of French toast.

"That's my girl," Harry said, smiling, and grabbed another slice for himself. "Everything's going to be fine."

After breakfast, the seventh-year Gryffindors formed a small study group in the common room, a byproduct of a round of study sessions that Hermione had set up at the beginning of June to help all of the seventh years prepare for N.E.W.T.s. Hermione seemed a lot happier when the two hours study session ended, having answered every question posed to her correctly. Harry was also pleased with himself; he had done very well, too.

They returned to the Great Hall for their exam. Like in their fifth year, the four long House tables had been removed and replaced by several rows of desks. Harry was told by Professor McGonagall to sit behind Anthony Goldstein, while Hermione sat two rows over from him in front of Justin Finch-Fletchley. Ron was another row over and six seats back from them, sitting behind Blaise Zabini.

Sitting in front of Harry were three quill pens, two bottles of ink, their examination booklet, and their answer sheets. Harry looked down at the cover.

Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test

Theory of Charms

"You may begin," McGonagall said, turning over a large hourglass.

Harry opened his examination booklet thinking to himself, Just do your best. He looked down at the first question and read: 1) Give the incantation of the charm that causes water to shoot out from one's wand and 2) describe how varying concentration levels can alter the range of the jet of water.

Thinking of the Dueling Contest, he grabbed a quill, inked it, and began to write his answer.

After the exam was over, Hermione kept rereading the examination paper during lunch. Harry and Ron, meanwhile, were practicing their charm work on silverware and the like, trying to get them to do things like cartwheels.

"I think I may have missed Question Twenty-Three-"

"I don't want to talk about the exam," Ron muttered, getting his fork to do a feeble flip.

"Well, we have the practical exam later this afternoon," Hermione said. "We need-"

"-to study," Harry and Ron finished for her.

"I wasn't going to say that," Hermione said.

"Then what?" Ron asked.

"I was going to say that we need to go over what we've already done so that we don't screw up this afternoon," she said.

Ron groaned.

Harry sighed. "What, exactly, do you want us to do, Hermione?" he asked.

"After lunch, I'd like us to go upstairs and practice all of the charms mentioned in the exam booklet," she said.

He nodded. "Very well. If you think it will help us."

"I do."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione finished lunch and went up to the common room. It was filled with fifth years who had skipped lunch to practice for their practical exam which was due to start in fifteen minutes. The seventh years had their books out and were also preparing for their practical exam, but they had more time than the fifth years did to get ready.

Once Harry, Ron, and Hermione started to practice their charms, the other seventh years joined them and once again they worked to prepare everyone for the afternoon. Harry was having difficulty performing multiple charms at once nonverbally, so he and Hermione sat down and worked on it together. About twenty minutes before they were due to go downstairs, Harry felt much better about his charm work.

He continued to practice as he waited in the entrance hall for his name to be called. Hermione was whispering spells under her breath rapidly until Professor Sprout called, "Goldstein…Granger…Greengrass…"

"You'll be fine," Harry whispered to her and kissed her temple. "Go impress them."

She gave him a weak smile and walked into the Great Hall.

Eventually Professor Sprout called, "Patil…Patil…Perks…Potter…"

Harry marched forward into the Great Hall. The elderly Professor Marchbanks waved him over to her.

"Harry Potter," she greeted as he sat down. "Wand out, please. Let's start easy first, shall we? Please perform for me the charm that you would use to clear someone's throat if they were choking."

He thought for a moment and then raised his wand. "Anapneo!" he said.

"Wonderful," Professor Marchbanks said and took out two feathers. "Now, if you would, please Banish one of these feathers while Summoning the other to your hand."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, staring at both feathers. He pointed his wand at both feathers and, concentrating hard, he thought the incantations for both Summoning and Banishing at the same time. One of the feathers landed in his outstretched hand while the other flew past Professor Marshbanks's ear.

"Good."

Harry did reasonably well in the rest of his exam. He wasn't able to Silence a croaking frog at the same time as shrinking it. The frog became much smaller, but it kept on croaking, only the croaking became high pitched.

Harry and Ron spent the next day studying for Herbology while Hermione was off taking her Ancient Runes exam. That evening, Harry, Ron, and Hermione went to the library to join a lot of seventh years who were studying hard for the next three exams before they got a break over the weekend.

"I hate this," Ron muttered. "I should have pulled a Fred and George."

"Ron, shut up," Hermione said irritably. "You've only taken one exam!"

Ron and Hermione didn't talk for the rest of the evening, nor did they speak the next morning. Harry didn't try to make peace between them. He was too busy cramming in the last bits of information that he could for Herbology.

The written exam, Harry thought, could have gone better, but it certainly could have gone a lot worse. During the practical exam, he had to drain a shooting cactus that was about ready to burst. Then he had to identify which plants carried magical properties and which plants were entirely Muggle. Harry thought he did okay there.

When Neville exited the exam, he was beaming. "Professor Tofty said I did brilliantly-the best Herbology student he's seen in several years!"

"Good job, Neville," Harry said, smiling. He was genuinely happy for Neville, who was never told that he was the best student someone had seen in years.

Thursday was Care of Magical Creatures while Friday was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Harry sat down for that exam, feeling confident.

"You may begin," Professor Flitwick squeaked from his position at the head of the Hall. He waved his wand to flip over the huge hour glass.

Harry opened up his exam booklet and read the first question: 1) Describe the physical features of vampires, 2) where the majority of their population is found and 3) how to repel them. Harry had to keep himself from chuckling as he thought of Lupin dressed up as a vampire and got to work.

His practical Defense Against the Dark Arts exam went very well. He performed every spell flawlessly. Professor Tofty smiled at him.

"Yes, I remember you very well, Mr. Potter. I still have one more spell for you to perform, though, and I'm pretty sure you know how to do this very well."

"Sir?"

"Would you please perform the Patronus Charm for me?" Professor Tofty asked.

"Yes, sir," Harry said. He seized upon the idea of spending some much needed alone time with Hermione after the exams were over and yelled, "Expecto Patronum!"

A silver stag erupted from his wand, causing Professor Tofty to clap. "Oh, bravo, Mr. Potter, bravo!"

The weekend didn't provide much of a break for Harry and Ron. Hermione had them up and studying for their Transfiguration exam that was to take place on Monday. Ron, who was speaking to her again, only complained.

"I don't see why we have to stay inside and study. A lot of other people went outside," he whined.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Fine, we can go outside."

As they headed down the stairs, however, they ran into Luna.

"Hello, Ronald," she said, smiling. "Studying?"

"Yeah," he muttered.

"I could help you," she said. "I don't have to worry about N.E.W.T.s yet, so I won't be stressed out."

"What about your exams this week, though?" he asked.

"Oh, I'm doing very well in each of my subjects and I've already studied a lot," she said.

"Well, okay," he said, grinning. "I'll see you two later."

Hermione let out a small scream of frustration when Ron and Luna were out of sight. "He's the one who pushed for us to go outside!"

"Don't worry about it," Harry said. "Let's go enjoy the nice weather and study."

Without Ron there, complaining, Harry and Hermione did very well. They quizzed each other to the point that Harry was feeling much better about taking the exam on Monday. When he took the theory portion of the exam, he thought he had done pretty well. Combined with the practical exam, Harry was sure he had possibly scraped an "Exceeds Expectations."

On Tuesday, while Hermione was off for her Arithmancy exam, Harry decided to take a break from all of the studying he had been doing and take a walk. He was just reaching the first floor when he saw Professor Dumbledore coming up the stairs.

"Ah, hello Harry," Dumbledore said, smiling up at him. "No exam today?"

"No, sir," Harry said.

"Excellent. How do you think things are going?" he asked.

"Okay, sir," Harry replied. It occurred to him how unusual it was to see Professor Dumbledore out of his office during the daytime.

"I was just in Hogsmeade," Dumbledore said, answered his unasked question. "Would you like to join me in my office?"

"Er-yes, sir," Harry said.

They walked up the stairs to Dumbledore's office. Once inside, the headmaster conjured up a chair for Harry to sit in. When he sat down, he smiled benignly at Harry.

"I was meeting with Alastor in Hogsmeade," Dumbledore said. "He had an update from the Order."

Harry stiffened in his seat. "What did he say?"

"He told me that Voldemort and his followers have been unusually quiet these days."

Harry frowned. "You think he's about to do something big, don't you?"

"I do," Dumbledore said. "It would be very much like him."

"Sir?"

Dumbledore smiled. "You do not know Tom as I do. He gains power quietly at first before he explodes. Even while he was in Hogwarts, he was gaining power. He waited years, gaining followers and seeking out strong allies like the werewolves and giants. Then, when the time was right, he struck the wizarding world with such a force that it trembled. He kept at it until people were so fearful that they would hide in their homes. When he made war against the wizarding world, it was after years of preparation."

Harry frowned. "What d'you think he's up to?"

"That, I do not know, but the Order is on guard," Dumbledore said.

Silence prevailed upon them for several long moments. Finally, Harry said, "Sir, can I ask you something?"

"You just did, but you may ask another one," Dumbledore said with twinkling eyes.

Harry grinned. "Thanks. Sir, why d'you call him Tom when nobody else does, especially when you're talking to him?"

Dumbledore smiled. "Ah, that is because Tom Riddle is his given name. It is how I have always known him. I will not give him the satisfaction, you see, of calling him Voldemort to his face. It really annoys him," he added with a wink.

Harry laughed. "I see, sir."

"Well, I imagine you have quite a bit of studying to do for your next exam. I'll let you get to that," Dumbledore said.

Harry, recognizing the dismissal, got up. "Good day, sir."

*****

Harry couldn't have been more relieved when Friday came. He had one exam to go. Unfortunately, that exam was Potions. The theory portion of the exam was difficult and the practical portion was even harder. It was the only exam that Harry was particularly nervous about. When it was all over, he slumped into the common room with Hermione, who was talking about the exam.

"Hermione, please, I don't want to relive that exam," he said.

"Oh. Okay," she said, frowning.

"You're back!" Ron said happily, jumping off of the couch he was laying on to greet them. "How did it go?"

"I think it went rather well," Hermione said.

"For you, maybe," Harry muttered, rubbing his forehead. "I've got such a headache from that exam. I hope I did okay."

Hermione kissed the top of his head. "I'm sure you did. After all, you did very well on our last Potions test. Even Snape couldn't say anything against you after that."

"He did so," Harry reminded her. "He said it was a fluke." He sighed. "I'm just happy they're all over."

"Me too," Ron said. "Now we can enjoy the rest of the year. No more classes, no more homework. Blimey, think about it-we're done."

"I know," Hermione said sadly. "We've got a week left to cherish everything about this place. We're not coming back."

"No," Harry said, brooding, "we're not. Not unless our children are Triwizard champions."

Ron and Hermione frowned. That was obviously never going to happen, since the Triwizard Tournament had been abandoned.

"I feel like taking a walk," Hermione said. "I just feel like I need to take a moment to really appreciate this castle."

"Yeah, I think I'll come with you," Ron said. "What about you, Harry?"

He shook his head. "This headache is driving me insane. I think I'm going to go upstairs and grab a couple hours before dinner."

Hermione gave him a worried look. "You're sure it's not your scar that's hurting you?" she whispered.

"No. Well, that area hurts, but so does the rest of my head. Go on without me."

"Maybe you should go see Madam Pomfrey," Ron suggested.

"No, I'll be fine. I just want to take a nap."

"Okay," Ron said as he and Hermione got up to leave. "I guess we'll see you at dinner."

He nodded. "I'll join you next time. We can go and see Hagrid too."

"That sounds lovely. Take care, Harry," Hermione said, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "See you at dinner."

"See you," he said, giving her a smile. When they had left, he got up and headed toward the boys' dorm. Once there, he collapsed onto his bed. The truth of the matter was, it was his scar that was hurting the most. He was trying to ignore it, though. It had been hurting a lot lately. He curled up underneath the quilt Hermione had once given him and willed the pain away. Eventually, he fell asleep.

He was back on the Hogwarts express for the first time, riding with Ron. Ron had his wand out and was just about to try a spell on his old rat when a bushy-haired girl with a bossy sort of manner stepped into their compartment with the round-faced boy who had come in earlier asking about a toad.

"Has anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one," she said, staring at the wand held in Ron's hand. "Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see then."

At the time, Harry remembered feeling floored that someone could be so straight forward and bossy, but this time around, he felt rather amused by her anxiousness to see magic.

"I'm Hermione Granger."

"Ron Weasley."

"Harry Potter."

"Are you really?" she said, her eyes gleaming. "I've read all about you, of course."

Ron shot Harry a look of utter annoyance, but this time he could only grin.

"Well, I'm going to continue to search for Neville's toad. If you see it, could you give it back?" she continued.

"Yeah, we will," Harry replied, smiling gently.

As Hermione smiled back at him, the scene shifted quickly and both Ron and Hermione disappeared. He was no longer on the Hogwarts' Express, but rather standing outside the winged boar gates, staring at them.

"Are you ready, Mr. Rameses?" he asked in a cold, cruel voice.

"Yes, my lord," said Imhotep Rameses.

He turned to one of the masked men standing next to him. "Are you sure Dumbledore is gone?"

The masked man bowed. "Yes, master. Rookwood was able to sneak into the Ministry and place the Minister herself under the Imperius Curse. She wrote the letter, sent it off, and Dumbledore left about fifteen minutes ago."

"Are the vampires and dementors in place?"

"Yes, master. They are attacking the Ministry of Magic even as we speak."

"Excellent. You may proceed, Mr. Rameses."

Rameses nodded to a young man standing next to him. Then, both took out their wands and began chanting something in a language that he did not recognize. They continued to chant until a faint glow began to emit around the walls surrounding the grounds. It became brighter and brighter until suddenly, the great lock on the winged boar gates clicked. That was when Rameses and his apprentice stopped.

"Thank you, Mr. Rameses. Your work here is done," he said.

"I believe all of this earns me a reward, does it not?" Rameses asked.

He turned to one of the masked men and nodded ever-so-slightly. "Of course I will reward you, Mr. Rameses." He took out his wand. "Avada Kedavra!" he shouted at the same time his Death Eater did. With two flashes of green, both Rameses and his apprentice were dead.

Harry jerked awake, his scar throbbing. No, what he had just seen couldn't be true. Voldemort couldn't be at Hogwarts now. It was impossible.

He jumped up and ran to the window between Neville and Seamus's bed and looked outside. Far off where the winged boar gates were, he could see shadows running toward the castle.

Fear gripped his heart. What he had seen was true. Voldemort was attacking Hogwarts.