Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: Big thanks yet again for Charmaine for being lightning-fast and betaing these chapters. The only other thing I have to say is…anyone up for a spot of Quidditch? ;)

CHAPTER NINETEEN

SYMPATHY FOR A FERRET

At breakfast the next morning, Hermione put the Daily Prophet down on the table for Harry and Ron to read with her. On the front page was a moving picture of a man in his thirties with a roguishly handsome face and piercing eyes above an article.

AURORS SAVE TOWN FROM VAMPIRE ATTACK ON A TIP

A tip-off led 10 Aurors to battle against 30 vampires in the small town of Westbury-on-Severn in Gloucestershire last night.

The tip, which came in early Friday night from a "trusted source," according to Minister of Magic Amelia Bones, prompted the Aurors to arrive in Westbury-on-Severn shortly before dawn of that day.

"I hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't been here," said Gawain Greene (pictured), an Auror.

"A lot of people would be dead right now."

The attack started the next evening around 9:00 when the awaiting Aurors noticed the vampires coming out of the sewers. The battle took place within the streets of the small town.

Greene, who led the Aurors to victory, is reported to have saved three Muggles who were being attacked in their home before defeating at least nine of the vampires.

"I was just trying to protect the people," Greene said, brushing aside any compliments.

Protect them, he did. Thanks to his and the other Aurors efforts, no one was injured. Only a few Muggles had to have their memories modified.

"It was a good day in the war against [He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named]," Greene said. "We need more days like today."

"Well, that was a crappy article," Ron commented. "It's practically all about this Greene guy. Who the hell wrote this?"

Harry glanced at the top of the page. "Rita Skeeter. Not so surprising, is it?"

Ron rolled his eyes. "Guess not. Sucks for you, though, Harry. I mean, they wouldn't even have been there if it hadn't been for you solving that riddle."

Harry shrugged. "I don't care. I don't want my name in the papers, anyway."

"It's easy to see what Rita's trying to do here," Hermione said, rereading the article.

"What? Toss another person into the cruel public spotlight?" Ron asked.

"Well, that too, but don't you see? She's trying to give the wizarding world a heroic figure to look up to," she said.

"But they have Harry and Dumbledore," said Ron, causing Harry to cringe.

"Yes, but when was the last time either of them were in a public battle against Voldemort? What went on at the cemetery was never talked about in the paper, if you hadn't noticed. The Prophet never talked about how several Death Eaters were suddenly captured and sent to Azkaban. That's pretty stupid, too, considering that they're trying to tell the public that we're winning the war."

"Are we, though?" Harry asked.

"Maybe we are, maybe we aren't. Personally, I don't think we will until either Voldemort's dead or his army is whittled down to nothing," Hermione replied. "The point is, the Prophet usually tries to paint a rosy picture so that the people can believe that everything will be okay."

"So this story is excellent for them. 'Look! You-Know-Who has thirty less vampires and not a single person was hurt!' Then everyone can jump up and yell and scream and celebrate. Yay," Ron said unenthusiastically. "All the while they're making a hero out of some bloke who's no one special."

"That's pretty much it," Hermione said.

"Rubbish. That's bloody rubbish," Ron muttered.

*****

To Harry's great surprise, he was given an extension on all of his homework assignments over the week. Even Snape gave him one, but the Potions master also added why he was grudgingly giving him one.

"The headmaster declared it," Snape had said with a scowl. "But believe me, Potter, next time you turn in an assignment late, I will fail you."

So Harry spent the next several days attending class, taking notes, and diligently working on his homework until finally, he had them all completed and turned in. By then, the Gryffindor/Slytherin Quidditch match was only a week away. Harry decided to add in a few more practices to make sure his team was completely prepared for their first test of the season.

"I don't know if Slytherin's changed their tactics during the summer-hell, I don't even know who their captain is-but I want to be prepared."

Ron was practically gleeful with all the practice they were doing. He seemed to be having the most fun out of all of them, laughing and joking with the players every time they failed to fire a shot past him. Ginny would sometimes grow irritated with his taunting.

"Ron, why don't you shut up for a change and let us concentrate. I keep imagining you as a huge chicken since you keep sounding like one," she snarled one afternoon after classes.

"I don't sound like a chicken!" Ron yelled indignantly.

"Could have fooled us!" Ginny shouted back, flying away.

The week leading up to the match, of course, meant each House glaring at each other. The Slytherins would make snide comments, give rude hand gestures, and then finally tried to curse as many members of the Gryffindor team as they could. Ron one day had to report to the Hospital Wing because a sixth-year Slytherin got him with a jinx while coming out of the bathroom, causing his nose to extend out at least two feet. Then everyone in the entire House began to call him Pinocchio.

"Well, which is better, that song they created for you or this new nickname?" Hermione asked.

Ron turned red. "I guess the nickname."

The morning of the match, Harry woke up at dawn like always and did his usual jog around the grounds. Once he returned, was freshly showered, and dressed, he waited for the others to join him in the common room, working on his latest Transfiguration essay while he was at it.

Hermione was one of the first people to join him in the common room. "Good morning," she said, sitting down next to him.

"Hi." He looked out the window at the dark overcast sky. "It looks like it's about to let loose any moment."

"Yes," she said, also looking out the window. "But you've played in the rain plenty of times, so it shouldn't be any big deal."

"No."

"Are you working on your Transfiguration essay?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"This one was a bit harder than the last one-not as much information. If you need any help, just ask," she said.

"Oh, I'm sure I'll be fine, Hermione. Thanks, though," he said, giving her a small smile.

"So, are you nervous?"

"About the Quidditch match? No."

"Really?"

"No. Why?"

"I'm just surprised to see you up this early. I mean, I know you've done it before because you've been busy with your schoolwork, but I thought you'd make an exception for today," she said.

"No," he said. "All work and little play, that's the way I am these days."

She laughed. "Nice."

"Thanks."

Ron, Ginny, and the rest of the team joined them a little later. They all traveled down to the Great Hall together to eat breakfast, where they were cheered on by their fellow Gryffindors and booed by all of the Slytherins.

They were just beginning to eat when Malfoy walked into the Great Hall, accompanied by Crabbe and Goyle. When the Slytherins saw him, all of them jumped out and bellowed out, "HAIL TO THE CAPTAIN!"

"I guess that mystery's been solved," Ron muttered next to Harry.

Malfoy gave them a curt nod before taking his seat. Harry noticed Pansy Parkinson give Malfoy a sulky look before turning back to her friends.

The next person to walk into the Great Hall that Harry noticed was Luna, who made a bee-line over to the Gryffindor table. He couldn't help but notice that, in typical Luna fashion, she was wearing her butterbeer cork necklace and her radish earrings.

"'Morning, Luna," he greeted before taking a sip of orange juice.

"Good morning, Harry. Hi, Ronald," she said, smiling.

"Hi, Luna," Ron said. "Where's your roaring lion hat?"

"Oh, it got stolen," she said, "as did my eagle hat."

"That's a pity," Ron said. "I got to liking it."

"Really?" she asked, her eyes protuberant.

"Well, whenever it roared it meant we were doing well," Ron said. "Shame."

"I could always make another one," she said.

"No, that's alright. I don't think it would be the same," he said.

"Yes, you're right," she said. "Well, I wanted to wish all of you luck at the match today, so good luck-especially you, Ronald."

His face turned slightly red. "Thanks."

Harry smiled. "See you, Luna."

When she walked away, all eyes turned to Ron, who was biting into his toast. "Wha?" he asked, his mouth full.

"You liked the lion hat?" Ginny asked.

"I was just being nice," Ron muttered when he swallowed his food.

"You're never nice," she said.

"Hey!"

"Will you just ask her out already?" Ginny said.

"What? I don't fancy her!" Ron said in a fierce whisper.

"Sure you don't," Ginny said with a wink as Neville walked in. "Hi, sweetie."

"Hi," he said, sitting down when Ginny made room for him and accepting her proffered good morning kiss. "You didn't wait for me."

"Oh, I'm sorry, but the team was all ready to go and you know how before a Quidditch match we need to get our energy and stay focused," she said. "Tell you what, I'll spend the rest of the day with you as soon as the match is over."

"Okay," he said. "I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to, but okay."

"Oh, stop. If I didn't want to, I wouldn't have mentioned it, would I?"

"I guess not."

"Good, it's settled then," she said happily and went back to her breakfast.

Fifteen minutes later, Harry glanced at his watch and said to his team, "It's time to go."

They walked out of the Great Hall as one, Hermione, Neville, and some of the other members' friends with them. Harry saw Neville give Ginny a peck on the lips, as he turned to Hermione, who was standing with him and Ron.

"No PDA like them, I'm afraid," he murmured.

She smiled, stepped forward, and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Good luck today, Harry." Then she turned and did the same to Ron. "And you too, Ron."

The Quidditch players-all seven of them-marched out of the castle and down the sloping lawn as one until they reached the locker room. As they changed into their Quidditch robes, they could hear the pounding footfalls of the student body as it entered the stadium. The voices were loud and joyful, full of enthusiasm over what was about to happen.

Quite suddenly, there was a shriek from the crowd. Harry and Ron rushed over to the window to see what was wrong, but all they saw were people ducking underneath the umbrellas of those who had been smart enough to bring one-the sky had finally let loose and it was pouring.

"We've got a change in weather conditions," Harry announced to the rest of the team. "It's not overcast anymore. We've got heavy rain and probably some bad wind gusts out there, too." Harry walked over to his locker and got out the pair of Quidditch goggles that Ginny had bought him for Christmas last year. "If you don't have a pair of these, I suggest you do this." He pointed his wand at his face. "Impervius!" When the team had done that, he continued, "I don't know the quality of the team we're about to face out there, but I think we all know that Slytherin has always been a team that is hard to beat. Very hard. Yes, we've done so for the past six years, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't beat us this year. Don't be overconfident. Don't be cocky. Just play like you have been in practice and we should beat them again. Good luck to all of you."

There was a knock on the door just as Harry finished. "Come in," he said.

Professor McGonagall popped her head in, then the rest of her came in as she shook the rain off of her umbrella. "Good morning, all of you," she said. "First and foremost, I'd like to wish all of you luck in today's match. Secondly, and the real reason why I'm here, I've been told to inform you that there are scouts sitting in the stands today. This is the first time in nearly ten years that Dumbledore has allowed this. The scouts don't come by very often anyway, so this truly is a remarkable opportunity for the seven of you to make a great impression since they're looking for fresh young talent. Just remember that I also encourage all of you to finish your schooling before being whisked away to a training camp. After all, you might get there and find out you don't have what it takes, so what are you going to do then? But enough about that. Do your best today and be careful. The clouds are getting darker and darker by the minute."

All of them stood there, stunned. Ron was the first to speak.

"Scouts?" he croaked. "Scouts?"

"Ignore them," Harry said firmly. "We out there to play, not show off. Just have fun."

He went back to his locker, Ron right behind him. "Scouts?" Ron repeated. "Harry, there are scouts. This could be my one and only shot to do something big. What if I fail miserably? What if I'm horrible out there?"

"The only way you're going to be horrible, Ron, is if you think you will be. You're a great Keeper, Ron, remember that." He was staring into the contents of his locker. Finally, he reached in and pulled out his Firebolt. "Here."

Ron stared at him and the outstretched broom. "What?"

"Take it," Harry said. "I don't need it anymore."

"You're kidding, right? I mean, I couldn't possibly take it, mate. Sirius gave it to you as a gift," Ron said.

"And now I'm giving it to you," Harry said.

Ron shook his head. "Harry, I couldn't possibly-"

"Just take it, Ron. Take it."

Grudgingly, Ron finally took it from Harry. "Thanks, mate. I will pay you back."

"What for?" Harry asked. "It's a gift."

Ron looked high uncomfortable, holding the broom in his hands, but he did shove his Cleansweep Eleven back into his locker. Checking his watch, he said, "Harry, it's time."

"Right," Harry said. "Okay, let's go. Good luck, all of you."

He stepped out of the locker room with the Phoenix swung over his shoulder, the rest of the team following along behind him. Rain hit his face but, with the charm, bounced off of him. He adjusted his goggles and marched on toward the stadium. He could hear Colin high above him, talking to the crowd.

"It is a poor day today for Quidditch, but I can only image what kind of a match we'll see today. We always see a spectacular match when Gryffindor and Slytherin play," Colin was saying. "Oh, wait, here comes the Gryffindor team-Weasley, Farrell, McDonald, Weasley, Kirke, and McGuire-being led in by their captain and Seeker, Harry Potter!"

Three-fourths of the crowd cheered loudly, while the other fourth booed and shouted insults.

"Now coming in is the Slytherin team-Deveaux, Blitz, Fleckman, Rich, Crabbe, Goyle, and the Slytherin captain, Draco Malfoy!" Colin yelled.

Now the crowd suddenly reversed, the fourth that had been booing was now cheering while the three-fourths that had been cheering were now booing. Malfoy and the rest of the Slytherin team marched through the mud to the middle of the pitch where Madam Hooch was standing, Harry and the rest of his team doing the same.

"Captains," Madam Hooch said, wiping rain from her brow, "shake hands."

Slowly, both Harry and Malfoy extended their hands. The shake was brief-very brief-before both of them turned away and went back to their teams.

"Mount your brooms, please," Madam Hooch said. "Wait for my whistle."

When Madam Hooch did blow her whistle, the fourteen Quidditch players rose as one, the Slytherins in the green robes sneering at the Gryffindors in their scarlet robes.

"Remember to keep it clean," Madam Hooch yelled from the ground. At that, she threw the Quaffle up into the air, beginning the match.

"The match begins with Rich knocking the Quaffle out of the reach of Farrell and into the hands of the awaiting Blitz as both Keepers-Ron Weasley and the second-year Kyle Deveaux-rush off to their respective goals. You know, it's not often Slytherin chooses a second year to be on the team, so this Deveaux must be pretty good," Colin said to the crowd over the howling wind.

"Blitz passes to Bobby Fleckman, a burly sort of fifth year and a new find for this Slytherin team. Weasley's right behind them, trying to gain possession for Gryffindor-ooh! The Bludger sent by Goyle just barely missed her! Gryffindor's Alex McGuire beats it back at Fleckman, who dodges to avoid it! Looks like Ron's going to get his first test of the match as Ginny can't catch him."

Harry watched Fleckman try to pound a shot past Ron, but held onto it by his fingertips.

"Nice save by Weasley!" Colin yelled. "That was beautiful!"

Harry flew around the goalposts, getting close enough to give a celebratory high five to Ron.

"Weasley has the Quaffle. She passes to new Chaser Natalie McDonald, who slides underneath Julius Blitz. She passes-no! Intercepted by Malcolm Rich for Slytherin. He passes it to Blitz, who flies around Weasley. He takes aim-SCORE! Rich feints and gets it past Weasley for ten points, making the match ten to nothing, Slytherin."

"That's okay!" Harry shouted to the disappointed-looking Natalie McDonald. "We'll get that one back!"

"So now it's Farrell with the Quaffle. He's a second year in his second year on the team-a remarkable find for Captain Harry Potter last year. He passes to Weasley-BLUDGER! Oh! And she narrowly dodges another one. She passes quickly off to McDonald, who avoids Fleckman and heads to the goal posts. She jerks to the right-passes to Farrell who…SCORES! Hunter Farrell puts up the first ten points for Gryffindor in this now tied match-up between the school's Quidditch titans," Colin announced happily from the stands.

The match went back and forth just like that. Rich scored, only to be answered by goals from both Ginny and Hunter, but it was just as quickly followed up by a goal from Blitz. Ron saved two other attempts from Fleckman, while Deveaux stopped another shot from Ginny in its tracks.

What made Harry pleased came about fifteen minutes later as he circled the pitch, spitting water out of his mouth.

"Rich has the Quaffle. He makes a move to pass it-STOLEN! Farrell swipes the Quaffle from Malcolm Rich and streaks off. He dodges the Bludgers sent by both Crabbe and Goyle-Kirke makes a move to answer back. Underneath Fleckman-Farrell tosses it to McDonald, who spins over Blitz, takes aim and…SCORES! NATALIE MCDONALD SCORES FOR GRYFFINDOR! The score is now forty-thirty, Gryffindor.

Just then, thunder rumbled off in the distance as it began to rain even harder than before. Harry pushed his wet bangs out of his face, feeling even more desperate now to find the Snitch and end the match.

"SCORE!" Colin yelled. "Just like that, Blitz launches the ball just past Weasley's left shoulder. The match is tied again!"

More thunder sounded and it became harder to hear Colin. He thought he heard him yell "GOAL!" but wasn't sure. The rain was beating down so hard now that it was even becoming hard to distinguish between the green and red forms of the players below him. Visibility was downright awful.

Suddenly, he saw the green blur of Malfoy shoot toward him. He turned around just in time to see a fleck of gold several meters ahead of him. Harry laid himself flat against the handle of his broomstick, taking off after both Malfoy and the Snitch.

He spat out more water as he caught Malfoy and began to pass him. "Go, go, go!" he shouted, urging the Phoenix on. Malfoy, however, seemed to put a little more kick into his Mercury Silver, a broom that matched Harry-now Ron's-Firebolt in speed. He had the better line, too, Harry noted, as the Snitch jerked right, Harry and Malfoy with it.

"Come on," he growled as Malfoy took one hand off of his broom, reaching out to grab the Snitch.

A large gust of wind knocked the Snitch off course and out of Malfoy's outstretched hand just as there was a huge flash of lightning lit up the sky. Harry moved to intercept the Snitch, taking his right hand off of his broom, but it slipped just barely through his fingers. Malfoy dodged past him, still reaching for it just as the crowd cheered again. This time a bolt of lightning struck not twenty meters away from them. Malfoy glanced up, startled, giving Harry the chance to barrel roll underneath him in a tight turn to the left. He reached out once again as another clap of thunder pounded his eardrums. Malfoy drew up near him, still in pursuit. Harry leaned forward on his broom, feeling his wet hand slide forward on the slippery shaft, then, with a yell, snatched the Snitch out of the sky, Malfoy's hand scraping the back of his.

"YES!" Harry roared, holding his fist with the Snitch in it up and pumping his arm in triumph. He barely heard the whistle ending the match over the crowd's cheering, yet another clap of thunder, and Colin's screams of, "POTTER CAUGHT THE SNITCH! POTTER CAUGHT THE SNITCH! GRYFFINDOR WINS ONE-NINETY TO SIXTY!"

The Gryffindor team swarmed Harry as he lowered himself to the mud-covered ground. All of them were soaking wet except for their faces, yelling themselves hoarse. Ron clapped him on the back, shouting, "We won! We won!" The Gryffindors in the stands stormed the field. Harry high-fived both Seamus and Dean and hugged Hermione.

"Congratulations, Harry!" she yelled. "You did such a good job!" She reached over and hugged Ron too while Harry snuck away over to where Natalie McDonald was celebrating with her friends.

"Excellent job today!" Harry said to her, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Really good."

"Thank you, Harry!" she said, giving him a hug.

When he turned around, Ginny hugged him too. "Nice job, Captain."

"You didn't do too bad yourself," he said, grinning. "Where's Neville?"

"Over there," she said, nodding to where Neville was shaking hands and smiling with Ron. "I'm soaked."

"Me too. Hey!" he yelled. "Let's get cleaned up and continue this celebration in the common room!"

The crowd roared in approval and moved toward the exit of the field, the seven members of the Quidditch team extracting themselves to go into the locker room to get changed.

"That was bloody brilliant!" Ron yelled when the entered the common room. "Take that, Slytherin! That's seven bloody years of Gryffindor beating their sorry arses up and down the pitch!"

"All thanks to our excellent captain and leader, Harry!" McGuire yelled. The team shouted in agreement, but Harry just shook his head.

"All thanks to the great teamwork we have," he corrected. "I just fly around and watch the match until the time comes for me to catch the Snitch."

"Whatever," McGuire said. "You're a great captain."

"What's next now, Captain?" Kirke asked.

Harry thought for a moment. "We return to the common room to celebrate this win, but then we get back out there and prepare to take down Hufflepuff just as handily as we did Slytherin."

With another shout of triumph, the Gryffindor team continued to change in order to join the celebrations in the common room.

*****

That night, after the party had died down, Harry and Ron were sitting in front of the hearth, finishing off their homework that Hermione had decided to nag them about. They had been at it for several hours and now they were the only ones left in the common room, Hermione having gone up to bed nearly an hour ago.

Ron rubbed his stomach. "Bloody hell, I am hungry."

Harry grinned. "When aren't you? I'll go downstairs and nick some snacks from the kitchen, okay? You keep working."

Ron sighed in gratitude. "Harry, you're awesome, mate."

"Yeah, yeah," Harry replied as he got up. "Let me go grab my cloak and I'm on my way."

It took him only a minute to run up to the dorm, grab the cloak, then run back down and head out of the common room. He walked along the corridors stealthily as to not make any noise and wake the portraits on the walls until he heard a voice around the corner-a voice he recognized.

"What are you doing out here, Weasley? I could put you in detention for being out of your common room," came Malfoy's drawling voice.

Weasley? But Ron was back in the common room. Then it dawned on Harry-Ginny was there. Edging forward slowly, he peered around the corner underneath his cloak to see Malfoy standing in front of Ginny, blocking her path.

"Yes, that would probably make you feel a lot better," Ginny said, frowning.

Malfoy scowled at her. "What's that supposed to mean? Are you trying to gloat about the match?"

Ginny sighed. "No. Never mind," she muttered and then looked down at her feet before saying quietly, "I'm sorry about your mum."

Malfoy stiffened. Harry couldn't believe his ears. Ginny was feeling sorry for Malfoy? He began to wonder if she was feeling well.

"I don't need your remarks of pity," Malfoy spat. "I don't see why you of all people would care."

Ginny frowned. "Yes, you are a loathsome git, but even a loathsome git doesn't deserve to lose their mum, or any other member of their family. You may have forgotten, Draco, but I happen to know what it's like to lose a family member."

Malfoy was silent for a few moments before he murmured, "Peter, no-Percy, your brother."

Ginny nodded. "He wasn't my favorite brother, but I still cared. I can only imagine how much more it hurts when it's the only person you cared about."

Malfoy looked Ginny right in the eyes but said nothing, obviously knowing that she was right.

"I can see what it's done to you-ruined your relationship with Pansy, made you more quiet and sullen," Ginny said. "So the question is, what are you going to do? Are you going to join them-the men that killed your mother?"

Anger flashed on his face and he turned away. "I have no choice," he said. "It's my destiny."

"You control your own destiny," Ginny retorted. "We all do. It's your decision and no one else's. But know this: if you become a Death Eater, then you are no better than the man who killed your mother. You're as much scum as he is."

With a snarl, he rounded on her. "Apparently you don't know who that 'scum' is," he said fiercely. "That so-called 'scum' is my father!"

Both Harry and Ginny wore the exact same expression, he was sure of it-one of deep shock. Malfoy's father was the one who killed his mother? Lucius Malfoy murdered his own wife?

"Oh, Draco," Ginny whispered. "Your f-father?"

"Yes, my father," Malfoy said angrily. "He was the one who murdered my mother, on the Dark Lord's orders. I have been groomed to become a servant to the Dark Lord all my life-it's my destiny and there's no escaping it. I must remain loyal to my father-I can't turn against him and avenge my mother's death. If I did I'd die."

Ginny shook her head. "Better to die avenging your mother than to live your life in fear of You-Know-Who's wrath."

"Ha!" Malfoy scoffed. "Shows how little you know."

"No, it shows how little you know, Draco. Becoming a Death Eater is not your destiny. You have a choice," Ginny said, her voice sounding more impassioned than Harry had ever heard out of her.

Malfoy shook his head. "I can't fight what I am."

"You're not a Death Eater yet," Ginny retorted. "You have a choice, remember that. Good night, Draco." With that, she brushed past him and turned the corner, making Harry flatten himself against the wall.

Malfoy watched her go carefully and then looked around in the corridor at the sleeping portraits. "Do I?" he asked himself before turning around and heading in the opposite direction.

After Harry ceased to hear the footfalls of either Ginny or Malfoy, he continued on his way to the kitchens, his mind reeling.