Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: Another update. I'd like to wish all of my fellow Americans a Happy Independence Day and also, to my Canadian friends a belated Happy Canada Day! I was in Niagara Falls, Canada last year on Canada Day and I must say they had one of the best fireworks displays that I've ever seen. Anyway, big thanks to everyone for reviewing, to Charmaine for betaing, and to Kristina for allowing me to use her band's name for the Yule Ball. Rock on!

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

THE BARRIER AND THE BALL

Yuletide cheer was beginning to spread around Hogwarts. Hagrid had started to bring in the usual twelve enormous Christmas trees that decorated the Great Hall, while Professor McGonagall passed around a sign-up sheet for those who wanted to stay over the holiday. While Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had invited Harry to join them for Christmas in their latest letter to Ron, he decided that he would much rather stay at Hogwarts for his final Christmas holiday there, something that Ron and Hermione decided on doing also. After all, it was their final year and each of them was doubtful that they would ever get another chance of having Christmas at Hogwarts.

Ron had other reasons for staying. He knew that Ginny had told his parents about Lavender in her reply back home, stating that she would return for Christmas. Things with Lavender, however, hadn't been rosy since Hogsmeade. After he had returned from the village, he had told Harry and Hermione all about a row he and Lavender had had outside of Madam Puddifoot's when Lavender had called Hermione a closed-minded, uncooperative know-it-all and Luna a candidate for the loony bin. Then she also accused Ron of not supporting her.

"If anyone's loony, it's her!" Ron had said.

Lavender, it appeared, had decided to stop talking to Ron. On both Monday and Tuesday, she never said a word to him. He, however, didn't seem to mind.

"I hate to admit it when Hermione's right and I'm wrong," Ron said quietly to Harry after Hermione had dashed off to Ancient Runes, "but I'm wrong. Lavender's a handful. She wants so much attention that I feel like I can't breathe! I'm happy she's not talking to me."

"Then why don't you break up with her?" Harry asked.

"You mean I'm not?" Ron said. "I reckoned we were broken up because she won't talk to me." Harry didn't say anything as he was too busy concentrating on his difficult Potions essay. Ron went on, "I better get a new date for the Yule Ball."

"I think you should ask Lavender what's going on," Harry said absently. "Ask if you two are through and if so, then find yourself a new date. If not, break up with her."

Ron stared at him for a moment. "You sounded a lot like Hermione just then. Creepy."

"It happens," Harry said, flipping a page in his book. "Go talk to her."

"Why should I have to?" he whined.

Harry dropped his quill. "Ron, I say this as a friend-be a man."

Ron grumbled and grudgingly got up. "Fine," he muttered and wandered over to where Lavender and Parvati were sitting.

Harry went back to his essay, looking up an ingredient to help him discuss how the antidote to the Draught of Living Death worked. He had just spotted something useful when Ron sat back down. "How'd it go?" he asked, scribbling down the information.

"I dunno. I asked if I could talk to her and she said, 'Oh, have you come to apologize,' and I said no and then she said, 'Then I don't want to talk to you.' I tried to talk to her, but she just turned around and ignored me. I don't know about you, but that's as good as broken up to me," Ron said.

"Okay, then," Harry said absentmindedly, checking one more detail.

"So-er-who d'you reckon's left for me to ask to the ball?" Ron asked.

"I dunno," Harry replied, jotting more information down for his essay. "I don't think Luna's going with anyone-"

"Luna?" Ron seemed to consider this. "Luna," he murmured.

He continued to ponder until Hermione returned from class. "Are you doing your Potions essay?" she asked Harry.

"Yeah. Nearly finished, actually," Harry said.

"Excellent. I was hoping you'd get it finished early so that you and I could practice for Charms," she said.

"Okay. Just let me finish this up."

She looked down at Ron. "What's wrong, Ron?"

"Huh?" Ron said, coming out of his daze. "Oh, me and Lavender-er-broke up."

"Oh, I'm so sorry," she said, but she didn't sound the least bit sorry.

"I'm happy about it," Ron said. "She was a burden."

Hermione bit her lip. Harry could tell she was trying valiantly not to say "I told you so."

"Well, what now?" she asked instead.

He shrugged. "I need to find a new date to the Yule Ball."

"I'm sure you'll find somebody," she said.

"Yeah, I will. In fact, I already have an idea," Ron said, getting up. "Er-I'll see you at dinner."

Harry glanced up at Hermione. "What was that all about?"

"I think he's going to go find himself a new date for the ball," she said.

"Oh. Who d'you want him to ask?" he asked.

She grinned. "Who do you think?"

He grinned back. "Yeah, me too."

*****

By the time dinner had started, neither Harry nor Hermione had seen or heard from Ron. They glanced up and down the table, trying to see if they had somehow missed his vivid red hair. But no, he hadn't arrived yet.

"Strange," Hermione said. "It's not very often that Ron's late for dinner."

"Or any other meal," Harry added. They sat down beside each other. "What d'you think he's up to?"

"He could still be finding a date," Hermione said, watching the entrance to the Great Hall.

Harry snorted. "That's probably it."

"It's not like showing up without a date is the worst thing to happen to a person. He could very well go alone if he pleased," Hermione said.

Harry didn't say anything. Instead, he dished up some mashed potatoes and then handed the bowl to Hermione. "Could you pass the gr-" he had begun to say, but Hermione was already placing the gravy boat in between them. He gave her an amused grin. "Thanks."

"You're welcome."

Harry looked up just in time to see Ron enter the Great Hall and make his way over to the Gryffindor table. He nudged Hermione, who also looked up and said, "It's about time. He must be starving."

Harry laughed just as Ron sat down across from them. "What's so funny?" Ron asked.

"Nothing," Harry said. "Hermione was just commenting on how hungry you must be, missing the first five minutes of dinner."

"I can't help it if I have a voracious appetite. And, just for the record, I am really hungry," he said, causing Harry and Hermione to laugh again.

"So, how did the Find a New Date mission go?" Harry asked as Ron started to dish up.

"Fine. I asked one girl and she said yes," Ron said, his ears turning slightly red.

"Who?" Harry and Hermione asked together.

"Who d'you think?" Ron said, the redness now spreading to his face. "The only girl that wouldn't have some bloke taking her this late in the game-Luna."

"Oh, come on, Ron. Haven't you ever stopped to think that the only reason why she didn't have a date is because she was hoping a certain someone would ask her?" Hermione said.

He stared at her. "Give me a break, Hermione. That's silly and you know it. Most of the people in this school find her to be extremely strange. I'm not quite sure there's a bloke in this place who would ask her out."

"I would have," Harry said, "if Hermione and I weren't going together."

"Yeah, you would because you're her friend," Ron said.

"Aren't you?" Hermione asked.

"Well…yeah."

"And you wouldn't have asked her before she became your last resort?" Hermione asked darkly.

"No, no, I would have," Ron said, then lowered his voice. "To be perfectly honest, I was planning on asking her in the first place before Lavender and I started going out. I mean, she and I had an okay time last year at the ball."

"Only okay?" Hermione said, frowning.

"Okay, okay, a good time," Ron amended.

"That's better," Hermione said. "I was watching you and Luna at the ball last year and that's precisely what you looked like you were having-a good time."

"Well, you don't have to watch me this year. I'm not dreading taking Luna. She's a nice girl," Ron said.

Hermione nodded in approval. "Pass the carrots, would you, Harry?" she said.

*****

Later on that evening, Harry sat in Professor Dumbledore's office, waiting for him to arrive. Meanwhile, he was staring at Fawkes, who had begun to look decrepit.

"Getting ready for a Burning Day, aren't you?" he said to the phoenix.

"Indeed he is," came a reply from behind him, causing Harry to jump and whirl around. Dumbledore stood there, holding up his hands. "My apologies for startling you," he said. Gesturing to Fawkes, he continued, "I imagine he'll stay like that for another week or so.

"Are you ready for your lesson?" he asked.

"Yes, sir. Er-Sir?" Harry asked.

"Yes, Harry?"

"Hermione-er-suggested that perhaps Voldemort didn't wipe my memory. She said that-er-maybe he's placed a block on it, repressing it," Harry said, shifting uncomfortably in his chair.

Dumbledore sat down in his high-backed chair behind his immaculate desk. He seemed to be considering this as he stroked his beard-covered chin and muttered to himself. Harry caught snatches of it. "Might be right…dangerous, Dark magic…brain damage…"

"Sir?" Harry asked and gulped after he heard "brain damage."

"I am thinking that perhaps Miss Granger is right. Voldemort could very well have placed a block on your memory. To find out, you'd have to open your mind willingly to me as I perform the Legilimency needed to search your memories."

Harry couldn't help but squirm slightly in his seat. "You would see…all of my memories?"

"Yes," Dumbledore replied simply. "I now it violates your privacy, but I can assure you that I whatever I see, I will keep between you and me."

He fidgeted slightly, then sighed. "Okay."

"Very well. I need you to look into my eyes, Harry, and relax. Do not resist. Are you ready?" Dumbledore asked.

"I think so," Harry said.

"Very well." He took out his wand and pointed it at Harry. "Legilimens!"

Memories swam in front of Harry. He took a deep breath, trying not to use the Occlumency that Dumbledore had been teaching him. He was underneath his invisibility cloak, walking down to Hagrid's with Ron and Hermione at his side…he was standing on McGonagall's giant chessboard, pleading with Ron not to sacrifice himself…he was standing with Parvati Patil, seeing a very pretty girl walk into the entrance hall on the arm of Viktor Krum, then realizing with shock that it was Hermione…he was in Hagrid's hut, trying to give him words of encouragement while Hagrid sobbed…he was talking to Sirius, who's face was in the Gryffindor fireplace…he was in the Room of Requirement, standing underneath the mistletoe and Cho Chang approaching him…he was at the Dursleys, wishing himself a happy birthday…he was falling asleep in the guest bedroom at the Granger residence, Hermione already fast asleep in his arms…

"NO!" Harry cried and severed the connection. He was back in Dumbledore's office as the Headmaster massaged his wrist. He stared at Dumbledore, who looked back at him, a silver eyebrow raised. "It's not what you think, sir."

"No? I interpreted that as you comforting Miss Granger and nothing more," Dumbledore said.

Harry felt his face turn red. "Oh. Erm-then it's exactly what you think, sir."

"I am already aware that you have a great deal of affection for Miss Granger, Harry. I doubt whatever I see will come as any surprise to me," Dumbledore said. "Now, shall we continue?"

"Er-Yes, sir," Harry said and tried to relax once again.

Dumbledore pointed his wand at him again. "Legilimens!"

He and Ron were having a row…Colin Creevey was asking him to autograph a photo of him…Umbridge was smiling malevolently as blood dripped from his hand after writing lines for an hour…McGonagall was looking down sternly at him…Ernie Macmillan was holding out his hand for Harry to shake…Dumbledore was telling him all about Fawkes…he and Hermione were flying on the back of Buckbeak to rescue Sirius…the fake Moody was rapidly transforming back into Barty Crouch, Jr….the twins and Ginny were shouting and dancing around the kitchen in Grimmauld Place…he was talking to Rita Skeeter with Hermione and Luna at his side…his parents were emerging from the end of Voldemort's wand…he was kissing Hermione in the Room of Requirement, all sort of broken odds and ends surrounding them…he and Hermione were dueling in an empty classroom…he was carrying Hermione back up to the castle, her leg broken and unable to walk…he was in Voldemort's mind as he possessed Nagini, watching as vampires attacked the Ministry of Magic…he was Silencing Bellatrix as punishment for Silencing Seth…he was looking into a broken mirror and seeing Voldemort's face looking back at him…Flint, Warrington, and Montague were kneeling before him, explaining why it had taken them so long to return-THWACK!

Both Harry and Dumbledore were thrown from their chairs. Harry's head felt like it had been hit with a baseball bat. Dumbledore rushed over to Harry's side, looking rather shaken. "Are you alright, Harry?" he asked.

"My head," he groaned.

"Yes, I image that hurt quite a bit," Dumbledore said.

"What happened?" Harry asked.

"We encountered a barrier," Dumbledore said.

"A barrier? What? In my head?"

"Yes. It appears that Miss Granger was correct. Your memory is being repressed by a mental barrier set in place by Lord Voldemort," Dumbledore said gravely.

"Can you remove it?" Harry asked desperately. He definitely didn't like the idea of Voldemort doing anything to his brain.

"I can try, but it will be difficult," Dumbledore said, then added, "and it will hurt."

"I don't care," Harry said. "I've had worse pain."

Dumbledore sighed. "Very well. Do you wish to continue more tonight or shall we wait?"

"No, let's do it now," Harry said.

"Stay relaxed, Harry. Stay calm. This is crucial. The more you fight, the more it will hurt," Dumbledore said.

"I won't fight you," Harry said, taking a deep breath and relaxing himself. "I'm ready."

"On the count of three then. One-two-three-Legilimens!"

He was ordering Wormtail to go rally the werewolves and raise Inferi…he was sending Bellatrix Lestrange to find the headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix…he was performing the Cruciatus Curse on Warrington-THWACK!

Once again, Harry was thrown from his chair. Dumbledore, however, was still sitting in his chair, massaging his forehead. Harry got up, rubbing his temples as his head pounded. "Does it hurt you too, sir?" he asked.

"Somewhat. Not as much as I assume it hurts you," Dumbledore said quietly.

"I'm alright," Harry said, even though his head was throbbing.

"It appears the moment I touch part of the memory-the part that Voldemort didn't barricade-I am immediately ejected from your mind. If I am to break down this barrier, I will have to attack it faster and with more force, like a sledgehammer. It will hurt a lot more," Dumbledore said.

"I'll be okay," Harry assured him.

Dumbledore looked like he was going against his better judgment, but nonetheless pointed his wand at Harry and muttered, "Legilimens!"

The memories came much faster now. He was talking to Wormtail…Lucius Malfoy was kneeling before him…Flint and Montague were standing at a door, presenting someone to him…an old man was walking into the room, using a cane that looked remarkably like an Egyptian asp-THWACK!

Harry was thrown from his chair more forcefully than before and landed on the floor, smacking his head on it as he did so. A sharp, searing pain had erupted in his head and he cried out in pain as he felt, rather than saw, Dumbledore rush over to his side.

"Harry? Harry?" Dumbledore said, rolling him gingerly over onto his back.

Harry was cringing, willing the pain to go away. He took calming breaths and tried to relax. "Ow…" was all he could say.

"That's enough for this evening," Dumbledore said firmly. "I want you to return to your dormitory and rest. Don't go to sleep right away. Your mind is weak right now and very much open to Voldemort. Calm yourself and use Occlumency. It should help with the pain."

"Yes…sir," Harry said with a groan. He pulled himself up and rubbed his head. "Do you know who that man was? The man with the cane?"

Dumbledore frowned. "I believe I may have recognized him, but I would have to take another look just to be sure. But not tonight," he added before Harry would speak. "You need rest. Whoever that man is, we will find out after the holiday."

"There's no lesson next week?" Harry asked.

"No," Dumbledore said and gave him a smile. "I want you to enjoy your holiday as much as possible without having to think about the war. I understand that you, Mr. Weasley, and Miss Granger will be joining us here at Hogwarts to celebrate Christmas."

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"Excellent. I shall look forward to seeing the three of you at dinner on Christmas. I believe the ghosts are planning on caroling for us while we eat," Dumbledore told him.

Harry grinned. "That sounds like fun."

"I thought so, too. Now, back to Gryffindor Tower you go." As Harry got up to leave, Dumbledore added, "Oh, and Harry? Thank Hermione for me for her very accurate assumption. She is quite the bright young lady."

"I will. She'll be thrilled to know that you think that," Harry said.

"Of course I do," Dumbledore said, his eyes sparkling. "She is a great credit to you, Harry. Do not let her go."

He grinned. "I wasn't planning on it, sir. I wouldn't let her go for anything in the world."

*****

Hermione was indeed thrilled to hear about Dumbledore's compliment when Harry returned to the nearly deserted common room. She blushed a brilliant shade of red and buried her face in her arms.

"He said that? About me?" she asked, looking thoroughly flattered.

Harry nodded. "There's more, though," he said and lowered his voice so that she could only hear him. "He knows about us."

"Knows? Because of the Legilimency, right?" she asked.

"He saw a few different memories of us. Really, I think what he saw only confirmed what he already thought. He told me it wasn't a surprise to him," Harry said.

"Well, at least you don't have to worry about him seeing those memories anymore," Hermione said.

"Yeah, although those were the memories that I used to fuel my ability to drive him out of my head more quickly," Harry said.

"You can still use them," Hermione said. "I doubt you want Dumbledore knowing every little thing about our relationship."

"No," Harry agreed.

"So, what happened? Did Dumbledore break through the barrier?" she asked.

He sighed. "No. He-er-didn't want to cause me any more pain tonight."

"What?" she said, startled.

He shifted uncomfortably as the remaining Gryffindors in the common room gathered their things and headed up to their dormitories. "Whenever he tried to get through the barrier, it would…force him out and cause both of us pain, although I think I took the greater brunt of it."

Her face was white. "How bad was it?"

"My head is still killing me," he replied.

"Oh, Harry. What on earth are you still doing down here? Go to the hospital wing and get a potion from Madam Pomfrey. Or at least go upstairs and rest!" she said.

"That's pretty much what Dumbledore ordered me to do," Harry said, "but I'd rather not."

"Why?" she asked, alarmed.

"Because right now the only two people in the common room are you and me and I'd like to spend some time alone with you," he said simply.

Her expression softened. "I know. Things always seem to get in the way whenever we have an opportunity to be just by ourselves. I suppose that if we were to try to make plans, something would happen that would toss them out the window."

Harry chuckled. "Probably, but we can always hope for the best."

"Well," Hermione said, a slow, sly grin spreading across her face, "a great deal of the student body will be gone this Christmas, leaving us with a lot more space. Personally, I've always wanted to go swimming in the prefects' bath."

Harry raised his eyebrows. "What kind of swimming?"

She laughed. "Nothing naughty, I assure you."

He snapped his fingers. "Damn."

"Harry!"

"What?" he said, holding his hands up defensively. "Can't a bloke dream?"

"You are bad."

"Why is having a bit of fun always considered bad?" Harry asked, grinning.

"Because when it comes to teenaged boys, their ideas of fun usually involve lewd behavior," she said.

"That's not true, at least, not always," Harry said. "Tell you what, on Boxing Day, it's just you and me. No one else, not even Ron."

"Really?"

He nodded. "Really. We'll go outside, go down to the kitchens and prepare our own food so that the house-elves don't have to, and we will go swimming in the prefects' bath. Then maybe, just maybe, we'll lock ourselves in a broom cupboard and have a good snog. How does that sound?"

She was laughing. "Wonderful, except for the part about being in a broom cupboard. Why can't we just utilize the Room of Requirement?"

"Even better. I love the way you think," he said.

Her chuckles died away as she stared into his eyes with a smile on her face. "Kiss me," she said quietly.

He complied, quickly and easily, leaning over the table and pressing his lips to hers. It had seemed like ages since they last kissed, even though Harry knew well enough that it hadn't been all that long ago-the night of Harry's last foray into Voldemort's mind, barely a week ago. All the same, the feel of her lips on his only left him wishing that he could feel them more often.

Hermione was the one to end the kiss, grinning as she did so. When he grinned back at her, she said, "Now go get some rest."

He sighed. "Alright, since it's you telling me to." He got up and kissed her one more time. "Good night, Hermione."

"Good night."

*****

The following evening found Harry standing in the front of Professor Lupin's classroom, his wand out and pointed directly at Ron, who was playing assistant for that evening's D.A. meeting. Behind Ron was a mattress, waiting for him.

"Now watch and see what I mean when I say that this is one of the best spells you can use to try to stop a Death Eater. It will completely knock Ron out," he was saying. "Ready, Ron?"

Ron grimaced. "Yeah."

"Stupefy!" Harry shouted and a blast of red light shot out from his wand and hit Ron square in the chest. He watched Ron fall onto the mattress, unconscious, before saying, "See? Very useful.

"Now, let's say one of your allies has been knocked out. Here's the countercurse." He walked over to Ron and pointed his wand at him one more time. "Ennervate."
Slowly, Ron blinked his eyes open and murmured, "Do I get to try that on you?"

Everyone laughed, Harry included. "Sure, mate," he replied and then turned back to the crowd that was watching eagerly. "Okay, pair up, grab an air mattress, and try it out. Remember, it's 'Stupefy' and 'Ennervate.' Go on, now."

He watched them as they began to pair off before turning to Ron. "Let's trade places so that I can fall on the mattress," he said.

"Okay," Ron replied and quickly walked over to where Harry had just been standing.

Harry positioned himself in front of the mattress. "Alright, Weasley, do your worst."

"What, are you going to duel me?" Ron asked, giving him a sardonic grin.

"Nah, I promised you'd get to Stun me, so have at it. We can duel later," he said.

Ron readied himself, raising his wand and pointing it at Harry. "How about I knock you out for the duration of the meeting?"

Harry laughed. "If you do that, I'm leaving Hermione in charge." He glanced over at his girlfriend, noting that she was currently busy helping a third-year Hufflepuff perform the spell properly on her friend.

"Why not me?" Ron asked in a mocked hurt voice.

"Because she's the reigning Dueling champion," Harry said.

"Oh, yeah, sure. She wouldn't have won if it hadn't been for you getting distracted," Ron said.

Harry shook his head, unable to keep himself from grinning. "We had a rematch a few days later. She beat me fair and square."

Ron stared at him, shocked. "Well, I knew she was good, but I didn't know she was good enough to beat He-Who's-Survived-Against-You-Know-Who-Six-Freaking-Times."

Harry laughed. "I'm resourceful, not brilliant. Now come on, do your worst."

Ron smirked at him. "Stupefy!"

The effect was immediate. Harry never even felt himself hit the mattress behind him.

When he was revived, he looked up to see Ron's face grinning over him. Everyone was still busy practicing. "How long was I out?" he asked.

"Oh, only a couple of minutes. You looked so peaceful that I thought I'd just leave you there, but Hermione yelled at me as she was passing by." He tried to fake a pout. "Took all the fun out of it."

"I'm sure," Harry said and took the arm Ron held out for him. Getting up, he looked around. People were falling over as their partner sufficiently Stunned them. "They look like they're having fun."

"It is fun. It's almost as much fun as using the Tickling Charm on someone," Ron said.

Harry glanced down at his watch. "Come on, let's walk around the room and help. From the looks of it, that Slytherin girl over there is far too happy to Stun the people around her."

He and Ron split up. Harry had a nice chat with the Slytherin girl on why Stunning should be taken a bit more seriously. Then he went around, correcting people for various reasons and offering advice. Finally, with about five minutes before the curfew was to begin, he called it quits, wished them all a good holiday, and, after receiving congratulations from Lupin for another fantastic lesson, left with Ron and Hermione, each of them rather exhausted and ready to sleep.

*****

Friday finally came and there was an excitement that washed over the student body. Not only was the Yule Ball that night, but the next morning, the majority of them would be returning home for Christmas. Harry was just happy about the fact that he wouldn't have to attend classes, although the professors had piled on the homework.

"I hate it when they do this," Ron muttered, dropping his bag on the floor next to his favorite armchair. "Pile on the homework so we can't enjoy the holiday. You'd think they want us to suffer."

"We've still got a lot of work to do before we take out N.E.W.T.s," Hermione said reasonably. "They can't let up."

"Sometimes I feel like I should just pull a Fred and George and get the hell out of here. I'm sick of all the bloody testing," Ron said.

"Oh, Ron, get over it. Every seventh year has gone through the same thing we're going through right now and survived. You will too," Hermione said. Before Ron could retort, she continued, "But let's not bicker today, okay? We're supposed to have fun. We don't have to attend any classes until January and tonight is the Yule Ball, which should be fun. When are you going to meet Luna?"

He sighed. "About ten minutes before the thing's supposed to start."

"Good. If Harry and I are ready in time, we'll go with you."

Harry nodded. "Yeah, we'll make it look like four friends just meeting up to have a pleasant evening."

"Okay," Ron said, looking thoroughly relieved. "We'll get a table all to ourselves-Ginny and Neville, too."

"That sounds good." Hermione checked her watch. "The ball's due to start in about three hours. How about we sit down and play a few games of Exploding Snap?"

"Alright, but if I get my eyebrows singed, I'm going to be mad," Ron said.

They sat down around a table near the corner of the common room and began to play. Two hours later, Hermione excused herself when Ginny came into the common room, saying that she needed to get ready. Harry and Ron played for another fifteen minutes or so before the whole card deck went up in flames.

"Well, d'you want to go get ready now?" Harry asked, waving the smoke away from his face.

"Yeah, okay," Ron said. "Let's go get spiffed up for the ladies."

It took them all of twenty minutes to get ready. They returned to the common room to join the throng of people who were already dressed up and waiting for the ball to begin. Ron checked his watch. "I've got fifteen minutes until I have to go downstairs and meet Luna."

Harry and Ron sat down. Five minutes passed and people began to leave the common room to go meet their dates in the entrance hall, or to just wait until dinner was served. Harry saw Hunter, Dylan, and Ally leave, followed a minute later by Seamus.

The doorway to the girls' dormitory opened and Harry looked to see who was coming into the common room, hoping it was Hermione. Sadly, it wasn't; it was Lavender and Parvati, the former wearing aquamarine dress robes with a plunging neck while the latter wore pink.

Lavender scanned the room while Parvati went to go meet Dean. When her eyes rested upon Ron, she came over with a smile. "Ready to go?" she asked.

Ron looked bewildered. "Er-Where?"

"To the Yule Ball, of course!" she replied, looking at him as though he were stupid. "Where else?"

Ron's eyes grew wide as he sputtered, "Th-th-the Y-Yule Ball?"

"Yes…" Lavender said, staring at him.

He looked again at Harry, horrified, before turning back to Lavender. "But I thought…I thought-"

"You thought what?" Lavender asked angrily, obviously tired of his little charade.

"I thought you didn't want to go to the ball with me," he said, shrinking in his chair a little. "I thought we had broken up."

"Broken up? No! Just because we had a huge row doesn't mean we're through. Trust me, Ron, I would have told you if I didn't want to see you anymore," she said.

"But…but…but," Ron sputtered, glancing at Harry for help.

"Er-Have you seen Hermione, Lavender?" Harry asked.

"She's still upstairs, getting ready," she said vaguely, waving her hand at Harry as though she were trying to brush away a fly. Her eyes were angrily focused on Ron. "But what, Ronald?"

Ron gulped. "I-er-I already have a new date," he said.

Lavender froze. "What?" she said in a deadly whisper.

"I thought we had broken up, so I went out and found myself a new date," Ron said, cringing.

Lavender's bottom lip trembled in rage, but she didn't raise her voice. "Who?"

"Luna Lovegood," Ron replied nervously.

"Luna Lovegood," she repeated. "That lunatic?"

Ron's nervousness and dread seemed to disappear as he jumped up and faced her, his face red. "She's not a lunatic," he said fiercely. "Maybe she's got some weird ideas, but they're better than some of yours. She's not the resident Gossip Queen, nor does she feel the need to cling to any and every bloke within her reach and suck the life out of them!"

Lavender snapped and slapped Ron-hard-across the cheek.

"What's going on here?" came an indignant voice from the doorway to the girls' dormitory. Hermione stepped into the common room with Ginny right behind her. She was wearing robes of coral red and her hair was done up in a neat, curly ponytail. Harry even noticed that she was wearing a hint of makeup. He couldn't help but watch her every move as she made her way over to Ron and Lavender, nor could he keep himself from grinning as he let his eyes wander up and down her.

"Ron and I are breaking up," Lavender snapped, glaring at him.

Hermione stared at the two of them, shock evident on her face. "Breaking up? I thought you two had already broken up."

"Is that what Ron told you?" Lavender asked.

"Yes!"

"Well, he was wrong. Now he's right."

"I didn't know!" Ron said defensively. "You wouldn't talk to me, so I thought we were done."

Hermione held up her hands. "Stop! Look, from the sounds of it, both of you are in the wrong. Ron, you shouldn't have asked Luna to the ball until you had received a verbal confirmation of your breakup. Lavender," she said, rounding on her dorm mate, her eyes flashing dangerously, "you need to grow up and learn that you can't always get your own way and that just because someone is your boyfriend, it doesn't mean that they live solely for you. They can't exert all of their attention on you and they're certainly not going to grovel at your feet when you two have a row. You can't treat the person you're dating like they're your pet. You have to realize that you're not the center of the universe. Nothing revolves around you! So quit treating people the way you do. It's aggravating." She walked away then with Ginny once again trailing behind her, leaving Harry, Ron, and Lavender looking rather shocked. "Harry! Ron! Are you two coming!" she called when she reached the portrait hole.

Ron cleared his throat. "Enjoy the ball," he said stiffly to Lavender and walked away, followed closely by Harry.

Neville had joined Hermione and Ginny by the time Harry and Ron reached them. He was complimenting Ginny on her dress robes, which were violet. He gave Ron a weak smile afterward. "Sorry about your row with Lavender," he said.

"I don't want to talk about it. I just want to go get Luna and have a nice evening," Ron said, leading the way out of the common room.

Harry stepped up next to Hermione. "May I have your arm?"

Her irritation seemed to melt away. "Of course," she said.

He helped her through the portrait hole. "You look beautiful," he said as they followed along behind Ron, Ginny, and Neville.

She blushed. "Thank you. You look rather dashing yourself."

He grinned, although he did feel his cheeks redden. "I've actually been looking forward to this," he murmured.

"Oh?"

"Yeah. I get to spend time with you."

"You get to spend time with me all the time," she said.

"Yeah, but not like this," he said as headed down a stairwell. "Everyone preoccupies themselves with their dates; therefore, I get to preoccupy myself with just you. No one else."

She smiled. "We still have to be careful, though. There will be people there without dates, who will be paying attention to anyone and everyone. I'm sure all of the girls will be watching the Boy Who Lived anyhow."

He blushed even more. "I doubt it."

She laughed. "Don't doubt it. You're very fanciable and you could have practically any girl in Hogwarts. I'm just the lucky girl you chose."

"Like I would choose any other," he said. "There are a lot more Lavenders here at Hogwarts than there are Hermiones. Actually, there's only one Hermione and that's the type of girl I want."

She playfully nudged him. "Flatterer."

"It's the truth!" he insisted.

"You're a flirt, too," she said.

He laughed. "Okay, I'll give you that one, although normally I'm not one."

"No, that's true. You only ever seem to do it when you're in extremely good moods," she said.

"Like tonight?"

"Like tonight," she said.

They continued to banter all the way down the stairs until they reached the entrance hall, where students were milling around, searching for their dates and friends while also waiting to be admitted into the Great Hall.

Ron quickly spotted Luna and led the rest of them over to meet her.

"Hi, Luna," he said.

"Hi, Ronald," she greeted and, seeing the rest of them, said, "Hello to the rest of you, too."

"Hi, Luna," each of them said.

Luna was wearing silvery gray robes that evening. Harry also noticed that she had forgone wearing her usual butterbeer cork necklace and radish earrings, something he was sure Ron appreciated. Actually, she looked rather lovely.

"You don't look very happy, Ronald," she commented.

"It's nothing to worry about," he said. "I've had a bad day, that's all."

"Hopefully the feast will cheer you up. You always seem happiest when you're full." At this, the rest of them laughed.

"Yeah, this guy can't go without a meal," Harry said, patting Ron on the back.

"I've got a fast metabolism," Ron said. "At least, that's what Mum says."

"Perhaps you have a mageuhyre in your stomach," Luna suggested.

"A what?" Ron asked.

"A maguehyre. They live in your stomach and eat whatever you eat," Luna said, causing Hermione to roll her eyes.

Ron blanched. "I sure hope not."

Just then, the doors to the Great Hall opened. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna all joined the crowd that was making their way inside. When they walked in, Harry glanced around to see the same round tables that had been used the previous year. "Let's find a good table to sit at," he said and headed off, the rest of them right behind him. They decided to sit at a table near the wall. Harry pulled out a chair for Hermione, who smiled at him and thanked him before sitting down. Harry then noticed Ron awkwardly do the same for Luna, who looked highly impressed by the move.

Twenty minutes or so passed as the Great Hall slowly filled up. Finally, Professor Dumbledore stood up and a hush fell over the Hall. He smiled, his bright blue eyes sweeping over the student body. "Good evening, all of you. I have been told that a delightful feast has been prepared for all of us, so I do hope you enjoy it. Make sure you keep up your energy because we have wrangled a wonderful new band for your entertainment. That said, enjoy your evening and tuck in!"

All sorts of food were crammed onto every square inch of each table. For nearly an hour they enjoyed roast beef, chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli spears, rolls, and other items before they were cleared away and replaced with desserts of all sorts. Finally, those disappeared.

The students all rose and waited. With a casual flick of his wand, Dumbledore caused all of the round tables, save a dozen, to disappear. The staff table disappeared as well, but was replaced by a very large drum set, two guitars, and three of the oddest microphones Harry had ever seen.

Dumbledore held up his hands for silence. "Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the wizard rock band, the Parselmouths!"

Three people-two girls and a guy who didn't look much older than Harry-walked out of the antechamber that was off to the side of the Great Hall. The guy had drumsticks in his hand and was twirling them with his fingers, while the two girls-a blonde and a brunette-each had live snakes hanging around their necks. Harry stared at them in awe.

The two girls picked up their guitars. "Hello Hogwarts!" the blonde one yelled. "Let's rock!"

An explosion of sound hit Harry's ears as they started to play. People ran out to the dance floor, shouting and cheering while jumping and waving their hands in the air.

Ginny laughed. "Come on, Neville. Let's go have some fun."

He had a fearful look on his face as she pulled him toward the dance floor. All he could do was turn back to the rest of them and mutter, "'Bye!"

Ron was eyeing the dance floor warily. "Er-come on, Luna. Let's go get some punch or something," he said, leading her away.

Harry turned to Hermione. "You don't suppose they'll play a slow song, d'you?" he asked.

"I doubt it!" she replied and grabbed Harry's hand. "Let's go dance anyway!"

Harry allowed himself to be dragged out onto the dance floor. "I don't really know how to dance to something like this, though," he said.

"Just do what your gut tells you," she told him as they joined the crowd of students jumping up and down. She gave a whoop and joined them. Harry, meanwhile, feeling rather foolish, began to imitate them as well.

"Don't think about it, Harry!" Hermione called to him over the music. "Just have fun!"

He caught sight of a fifth-year Ravenclaw twirling around as she jumped, causing him to laugh. Another girl was letting her head roll around like she had lost control of it. With another laugh, he grabbed Hermione's hand and spun her around. "Okay, I won't think."

She chuckled. "Good! That's the idea!"

The first song was followed up by another high-energy song, which was followed up by yet another. The fourth song was slower and caused everyone to grab their dates and sway to the music.

Hermione was looking around the Hall. "I see Ron and Luna made it to the dance floor," she said, nodding to where they were dancing some ten meters away from them.

Harry scanned the room. Neville and Ginny were behind them, a few meters away, looking like they were enjoying their evening. Lavender, Harry noticed, was sitting in a corner by herself, scowling not only at Ron and Luna, but also Parvati, who was dancing with Dean.

Harry was amused when he saw that Goyle was dancing with Millicent Bulstrode. "I take it those two are still together," he said, inclining his head in their direction.

Hermione glanced over at them. "Looks like it."

"That's scary," he said, causing her to laugh.

He continued looking around the Hall. To his surprise, Hunter was out on the dance floor with Tara Ryder, dancing and chatting. He saw Dylan over by the punch bowl, pouring himself a cup, while Ally was sitting back at their table, the look on her face catching Harry completely by surprise. She was staring at the people dancing with a look of jealousy on her face.

"Something wrong with Ally?" he asked Hermione.

She looked around until she spotted the young second year. "I don't know," she replied, now looking around the dance floor to see who Ally could possibly be staring at. Finally, she spotted something and said, "Oh."

"Oh?"

"It's nothing. At least, nothing to worry about," she said.

"If you say so."

Harry did one more sweep of the room as the song began to end. Colin Creevey was trying to dance with his date and take pictures at the same time. Meanwhile, in another corner of the Hall sat Malfoy, his face sour and looking as if he would rather leave. Harry couldn't help but notice that he didn't seem to have a date. The song ended though and was replaced by yet another loud and fast number, causing Harry to cast Malfoy from his mind as he spun Hermione around once more.

About an hour later, Harry and Hermione left the Great Hall to get some air as it had gotten rather stuffy inside. They walked around outside, hearing giggling and the sounds of people snogging behind bushes.

"As Head Boy and Girl, we probably are obligated to stop that," Hermione said.

Harry shrugged. "Let them have their fun." The walked around the edge of the castle until they were nearly on the other side of the greenhouses and completely out of sight. "Besides," Harry said, suddenly grabbed hold of her arm and pulling her into the shadows, "if I were to have to punish them, I'd have to punish us as well." He kissed her deeply then, causing her to moan. "See?"

"Harry, we could get into a lot of trouble for this," she said, glancing around to make sure absolutely no one was watching them. Seeing that the coast was clear, she sighed. "I don't want to get caught."

"We won't get caught," Harry assured her. "Now, less talking and more snogging."

She giggled. "Very well," she said and pulled him down for another kiss.

As Harry stood out in the cold, dark night, his lips pressed against Hermione's, he knew that that particular moment would be his fondest memory of his Yule Ball experiences. It had been a perfect evening. He couldn't help but feel like a very lucky man.