Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: I must be getting rather long winded to finally have them return to Hogwarts in Chapter 13. Anyway, I appreciate all of the support you guys have given me. I really enjoy reading what you guys have to say in your reviews. They're great. All of you are great! I'm sappy. I'm going to stop now. =P

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

ONE MORE YEAR

"Queen What's-Her-Name, is she dead?" Ron asked. His mood seemed to have changed instantly the moment Hermione had shown them the newspaper. His face, which only moments before had been red, was now rather pale. Harry was quite sure that his face was very pale now too-everyone's was.

"No, her Majesty, as far as I know, is quite alright," Hermione replied. She closed her eyes tightly and slumped in her seat. "Here, just take it."

Ginny quickly took the Daily Prophet from her and held it out far enough so that the others could crowd around her and read the article. Harry, meanwhile, placed his hand over Hermione's. Out of the six of them in the compartment, they had been the only two raised in the Muggle world. The others could not truly understand what it meant to lose such a figure. After all, Ron didn't even know what the Queen's name was.

The train rattled on. Twice Harry saw Mara Frost stalk past his compartment, checking for anything that wasn't right. He detested that woman almost as much as she detested him. On his list of people he hated, she was in the top five. The other spots were of course occupied by Voldemort, Snape, Malfoy, and Umbridge. At the end of the last year, however, he had had an odd moment with Frost in which she had admitted to developing a grudging respect for him after the events in the Hogsmeade cemetery. It meant nothing to him, however; they both still hated each other.

About halfway through the trip they began to hear Ron's snores as he had fallen asleep after passing on sweets from the trolley. He had returned to his silence after reading the Prophet, although he occasionally had given brief responses to Luna's attempts to initiate a conversation with him. Eventually she had given up and had begun to read The Quibbler. Ginny left for a good hour, visiting some of her other friends. She had invited Neville to go with her, but he had declined, saying that he wanted to catch up with Harry and Hermione. She also had tried to ask Luna, who had shaken her head, saying, "All the friends I have are in this compartment and they're who I want to see."

Ron woke back up about an hour before it was time to change into their school robes. Around that time, Malfoy and his two cronies, Crabbe and Goyle, walked past the compartment, but they did not stop. The second time they walked by, they stopped, freshly changed.

"I see this is the geek car," Malfoy said, scanning the compartment.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Harry asked, frowning at him. "Did you get lost or something?"

"Ha ha, so funny, Potter," Malfoy muttered. "I just wanted to make sure the new Head Boy isn't abusing his powers already, like I'm sure he will."

Harry snorted in laughter. "That's your lame excuse? Malfoy, you're losing your touch. You're not even remotely insulting."

"It's not even worth the time and effort to think of an insult for you anymore, Potter. You're not worth it. Before long, I doubt you'll be anything at all."

"Funny, you ceased to be anything a few years ago! And tell me, did your small brain really have to put that much effort into calling me 'Potty' or some other name?" Harry asked sardonically.

"Tell me, how long did you have to cry in front of Dumbledore to become Head Boy?" Malfoy retorted.

"Ooh, touché," Harry said mockingly.

"Just remember, Potter, you weren't made Head Boy because of your merits," Malfoy said.

Before Harry could reply, Hermione rolled her eyes and said scathingly, "As if your particular merits qualify you to be a prefect."

"And yet I was selected, unlike everyone's favorite Gryffindor," Malfoy murmured, and then smirked. "He was passed over for a Weasley."

Ron flushed a deep red. Harry knew exactly what he was thinking: that Harry was originally supposed to be prefect, but Dumbledore had thought better of it. Ron had discovered this the year before when Harry had accidentally let it slip during a heated argument. Looking back on everything now, with his current problems with Ron, Harry couldn't help but notice just how many times he and Ron have had dark spots in their friendship.

"Malfoy, if all you want to do is make idle chitchat," Harry said irritably, "why don't you go see the people who will at least pretend to be your friends, because we're not interested."

Malfoy scowled. "The mere thought of me being friends with a Mudblood, a lunatic, three sorry excuses for purebloods, and you, the poor little orphan who has spent the last six years getting his head filled with delusions on how he is the greatest wizard to ever walk this earth, on how he is the most important person alive and all others are nothing but weak, meaningless individuals who are there only to make sure that he feels good about himself after he causes the deaths of so many around him. You, the person that everyone calls a hero but really should be called a murderer."

Harry sat, his fists clenched, trying to quell his anger. Hermione, however, stood up. Her hair seemed to crackle with anger and intensity. "Get out," she said in a low voice. "Get out now."

Malfoy stared Hermione down, a look of distinct disinterest in his eyes. "Make me, Granger."

"Oh, Malfoy, stop looking for a fight and go back to your girlfriend," Ginny said suddenly from her seat. "Let her coo over you since you're obviously looking for attention. Leave us alone."

He stared at Ginny for a moment. Then he eyed the others and announced, "You aren't worth it," before striding away, Crabbe and Goyle shuffling to join him.

Hermione let out a breath before sitting down and placing her hand over Harry's still clenched fist. "That foul little cockroach will say anything to rile us up, so let's just let it go."

Harry unclenched his fists and let out a sigh. "Yeah, you're right. How much longer do you think it will take us to get to Hogwarts?"

Hermione looked out the window and studied the landscape as the train sped past it. "I don't know, but perhaps all of us should change into our robes now so that we don't have to worry about it later, when everyone else decides to finally change."

"That's a good idea," Ginny said. "We girls can go first while the guys wait."

It forced everyone into action, the girls pulling their school robes out of their trunks while the boys moved to exit the compartment. Shades were pulled and Harry waited with Ron and Neville. Neville took the moment to talk to Ron about Ginny.

"Look, Ron, I'm really sorry about what happened. I-I didn't know that it would. One minute we're talking about that letter I sent her and the next minute I'm blurting out that I fancy her. Then the next minute she's kissing me and you guys walk in. I-it all happened so fast. I'm sorry," he finished meekly.

Ron stared at him for a moment. "At least you're sorry about it," he muttered.

Neville reddened and Harry felt a huge urge to revive his argument with Ron. Instead, he kept silent. As much as he wanted to defend Neville, he knew that little would be gained by it. Neville wouldn't be any less afraid to start a relationship with Ginny and Harry's relationship with Ron would only get even worse. Harry huffed out a breath in frustration and stared down at his shoes.

Soon the girls traded places with the boys and, when they had changed into their robes too, everyone sat back down, eagerly waiting for the train to arrive in Hogsmeade Station. Hermione was fiddling nervously with her Head Girl badge while Harry drummed his fingers impatiently on his knee. Luna was reading The Quibbler for the second time while humming something that sounded vaguely like "Weasley is Our King." Harry grinned slightly at the thought.

Eventually the train slowed and came to a stop. Harry tried to get a glimpse at Hogwarts from out the window, but it was too dark. Everyone else around them began to grab their things.

"Let's go quickly so that we can grab a good carriage," Ginny said, pulling her trunk down from the rack above.

Harry grabbed his trunk, Hedwig, and his two brooms before following behind Hermione, who had her hands full with her trunk, Crookshanks's basket, and Giles's cage.

"Do you want me to take one for you, Hermione?" Luna asked.

"Please," she said and handed Giles over gratefully.

As they exited the train, Harry heard one voice yelling above all the rest and he smiled because of it.

"Firs' years! Firs' years, over 'ere!" Hagrid yelled, waving his lantern in the air. "Firs' years come forth!"

Harry motioned his head towards Hagrid so that all of them could say hello to the Care of Magical Creatures professor. When they closed in, he yelled, "Hi, Hagrid!"

"Harry!" Hagrid greeted happily. "Great ter see yeh! Ah, an' Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Neville, and Luna too!"

"How was your summer?" Hermione asked the half-giant.

"Good, good. Kept meself busy," he told them. "And before I go on, congratulations on yer badges, you two!"

Hermione beamed. "Thank you!"

Harry could feel Ron's eyes on the back of his head as he murmured his thanks as well. "Did you pick up any new creatures for our classes this year?" he asked Hagrid.

Hagrid shook his head with a smile. "I wouldn' tell yeh if I did. Now yeh better get into a carriage. Dumbledore be wantin' ev'ryone ter get ter the castle as soon as possible."

"Of course," Hermione said, nodding. "We'll see you at the feast, Hagrid!"

"Bye!" the others yelled as they took off and made their way towards the carriages.

They selected one of the ones closer to the front of the lineup. As they made ready to get in, Harry saw that the carriage right behind them was being claimed by a few sixth year Slytherins and Blaise Zabini. He was one of the few Slytherins that Harry respected. Zabini looked over and nodded at Harry, who nodded in return.

Nearly everyone was in the carriage. "Come on, you two!" Ginny said from the door. Harry turned to see that Hermione was standing about a meter away from him, staring at the front of the carriages.

"Hermione? Are you…" he trailed off as he took a step towards her and saw what she was looking at.

The ghostly black Thestrals stood, their wings twitching slightly. To this day they creeped Harry out, but it dawned on him that this was Hermione's first time actually seeing them. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"It's amazing," she said, still staring at them. "I never could have imagined…"

"I know," he said, guiding her away from them, "but we have to go."

"They look like skeletons," she said, climbing into the carriage, Harry following right behind her.

"What look like skeletons?" Ginny asked as they sat down.

"The Thestrals," Luna replied with a knowing look.

"Oh," Ginny murmured and fell silent.

The carriage ride was silent for the most part. Harry looked out the window, waiting for his first glimpse of Hogwarts. Eventually he did when they passed they winged boar gates.

"It's going to be good to be back," Neville said quietly.

Harry nodded and smiled in agreement and, when they finally arrived outside the large oak front doors, he was the first one out of the carriage, looking up at the castle and sighing contentedly.

Ron stepped up beside him, also taking in the castle's façade. When Harry heard Ron's stomach grumble, he chuckled despite the hostilities in their friendship and said, "Let's get you fed, Weasley." He thought he saw the shadow of a grin form on Ron's face, but if there was it was quickly masked.

Neville and Ginny led the way inside. Students were gathering in the entrance hall, finding friends and greeting them. Professor McGonagall, the stern Head of Gryffindor House, was already among them, ushering them into the Great Hall.

"I guess this is where I part ways with you," Luna said wistfully.

"Thanks for sharing a compartment with us, Luna," Ginny said.

"Thanks for offering. I'll see you around," she said airily and walked off towards the Ravenclaw table.

The rest of them took off for the Gryffindor table. They were one of the firsts to sit down. Harry plopped down next to Hermione while Ron looked rather anxious for the feast to begin.

Harry watched as people walked into the Great Hall. Seamus Finnigan and Lavender Brown walked in hand-in-hand while Dean Thomas and the Patil twins followed along behind them. Padma said her good-byes quickly and joined the Ravenclaws while the others sat down close to where Harry was sitting. They waved to each other.

Draco Malfoy strode in with Pansy Parkinson trying to hang all over him. Crabbe was right behind them, looking a little moody. They sat down together and Malfoy continued to ignore Pansy, even though she would not give up. Minutes later, Goyle entered with his girlfriend, Millicent Bulstrode.

"I can't believe those two are still dating!" Ginny said, eyeing them too.

"Slytherins have bad taste," Ron muttered from beside her, drawing figure eights on the table with his index finger.

Harry grinned at this and then looked up at the staff table. Dumbledore was sitting there in his high backed chair, looking rather pensive. Snape was there, speaking quietly to Professor Sinestra, as was Lupin, who winked at Harry the moment he caught his eye.

Eventually everyone had settled into the Great Hall, talking noisily with their friends. Dumbledore, Harry noticed, was now watching his students. At any moment the first years would be arriving from their trip across the lake. At any moment, Professor McGonagall would talk through the doors leading a long line of nervous-looking children, Harry reflected now. Although at the time he hadn't wanted to be considered just a child, but in truth, that's all he had been. He was just eleven years old when he walked into the Great Hall for the first time. He had been an innocent boy, not knowing just what the next seven years would bring. Even now, Harry didn't know what the final year would bring, but he was ready to find out.

The doors to the Great Hall opened and Professor McGonagall stepped in, the line of first years trailing in behind her. Each of them did look extremely nervous. Harry, along with everyone else in the Great Hall, watched them walk towards the staff table at the front, each of them looking around. Professor McGonagall halted them at the front of the Hall and motioned for them to fan out before retreating to retrieve a four-legged stool and the most peculiar hat in all of wizarding Britain: the Sorting Hat.

The Sorting Hat hadn't changed a bit since Harry had sat on that school and had it placed on his head, where it whispered in his ear and considered putting him into Slytherin before he had begged not to be. A year later, the hat had told him that he would have done well in Slytherin, but Harry knew otherwise. He belonged in Gryffindor.

Professor McGonagall set the stool and the hat, patched and frayed, down and stepped away from it, waiting, as did the rest of the students and staff. Then, the brim of the hat opened wide like a mouth and it began to sing:

Darkness has fallen upon us

It affects each and every life

Never before have we felt

Such horrible imminent strife.

Never forget what you will learn

At this magnificent school

Forever will you find it to be

Your greatest tool.

Divided this war has made us

Even though you were once warned

So be wary of the shadows around you

Or you may end up scorned.

The danger is very real

Oh, I kid you not

If you're not careful

You'll be part of his fiendish plot.

But there is some hope,

A little ray of light

That if you stay true to Hogwarts

You won't be in this fight.

The founders four started this school

Wanting to protect those who had great young minds

So that they would never be in danger

Of those unsavory kinds.

Upon this school the four placed

The most powerful of wards

Keeping out such villains

As vampires, Inferi, and Dark Lords.

Gentle Hufflepuff did go first

With her hard-working students

Upon this school those loyal ones placed

A spell this is extremely prudent.

Slytherin did go next

With his pure-blooded students of ambition

To recite his spell really would be

One of my greatest renditions.

The third to go was Ravenclaw

With her students who were very smart

The wand-waving they used to place their spell

Is truly a lost art!

Bold Gryffindor did go last

When the danger was at its gravest

The students he taught so well

Surely were the bravest.

The wards are still in place today

And have held back many a foe

So when you go to bed tonight

Be without woe.

Upon awakening tomorrow morning

Remember my warnings from the past

Continue to be divided

And the Dark Forces will have this school at last!

I may be condemned to split you

Perhaps helping Hogwarts to its end

But if all of you become one spirit

Your rival shall become your friend.

I've blabbered on for long enough

That I can see

So first years please do step forth

And I'll tell you where you ought to be.

When the Sorting Hat finished, everyone applauded, although there was a murmur that ran through the Hall.

"It's interesting to hear more about the protective spells placed upon this school," Hermione whispered in Harry's ear. Harry nodded in agreement.

With a stern glare from Professor McGonagall at the front of the Hall, the students fell silent. Then, she unrolled a scroll and began the sorting but calling out, "August, Portia!"

A girl with light blonde hair stepped forward and took a seat on the stool. Professor McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on her head and then all of them waited…

"SLYTHERIN!" the Hat finally yelled and the Slytherins cheered, welcoming their new member to the table.

The next, a "Beachley, Matthew," was the first sorted into Gryffindor. Harry cheered loudly with the rest of his House.

And the sorting continued. After "Ryder, Tara" ("GRYFFINDOR!"), it seemed to take forever to get through the first years whose last names started with the letter "S." Ron groaned continuously. Then the line of "W's" seemed to take nearly as long as the "S's." Even Harry was starting to feel impatient for the feast to begin. Finally, when both "Young, Simon" ("HUFFLEPUFF!") and "Zeller, Steven" ("RAVENCLAW!") were sorted, Professor McGonagall took the Sorting Hat and the stool away.

"Finally," Harry heard Ron mutter under his breath.

Professor Dumbledore stood up next and smiled benevolently down at his students. "Welcome and welcome back," he said. "I would like to say a few words before we start the wonderful feast that has been prepared for us, as I know your stomachs are rumbling. Those words are: fizzle, noodle, pumice, kumquat! Thank you."

As he sat back down, Harry had to stifle a laugh. Dumbledore's welcome had been much like the welcome he had given during Harry's first year at Hogwarts, when the headmaster had uttered, "Nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak!"

Harry wasn't the only one trying to hold in their laughter. Hermione was grinning when she turned to Harry with a bowl of mashed potatoes and offered it to him. Even Ron had a smirk on his face as he dug into the steak and kidney pie sitting in front of him.

"Ah, I have not heard that man so light and cheerful during a welcoming feast since…since the year the Chamber of Secrets was reopened," said a voice in the vacant spot next to Ron.

They turned-"Hello, Nick," Harry said, inclining his head towards Nearly Headless Nick, the Gryffindor ghost. "How was your summer?"

"Just as delightful as usual," Nick replied sardonically. "You?"

Harry forced himself not to look at Hermione, but he couldn't help the grin that lit his face. "Pretty good."

"Good. It's nice to know that one of us had a decent summer." He looked at Ron. "How have you been? All of the ghosts still feel bad about your brother."

Ron frowned. "It's been rough," he said quietly.

"Of course. Of course. I'm sorry I even brought it up," Nick said and then cleared his throat. "I should probably go introduce myself to our new Gryffindors. Oh, but one more thing before I float away…Harry, Hermione, I must congratulate you both on becoming Head Boy and Girl. We've not had two Gryffindor Heads since-my, my-your parents, Harry."

Harry smiled. "Thanks, Nick."

Hermione also offered her thanks and then Nick left them for the first years. Harry went back to his meal, but Hermione was watching the ghost thoughtfully.

"He didn't mention the Headless Hunt," she said at last.

"What?"

"Sir Nicholas," she said. "He didn't mention the Headless Hunt. Do you think he's given up?"

"He's been at it since he died," Ginny said. "Why would he give up now?"

"Don't you remember how close he thought he was last year?" Hermione asked her. "That last rejection could have been the last straw."

Ginny shrugged and went back to her food. Neville, however, was eyeing Dumbledore most curiously. "Did Nearly Headless Nick say that he hasn't seen Dumbledore this cheerful since our second year?" He gave them all a confused look. "We're in the middle of a terrible war. Why would Dumbledore be cheerful at all?"

"I was just thinking about that myself," Harry said, moving peas around his plate with his fork.

"It is a good question," Hermione agreed. "I would have thought being more solemn would have been more appropriate for this evening, but I imagine Dumbledore is trying to put us at ease."

"But we shouldn't be at ease," Harry said tersely. "Neville's right-we're in the middle of a war here. All of us, from the professors to the new first years, should be on high alert for anything strange that happens. Last year alone should have taught us that."

"Yes," Hermione said quietly. "I am most interested in hearing the announcements he gives us tonight, and more importantly, how he delivers them."

"Perhaps he's happy about the way the war is going," Ginny suggested. "Let's face it, even with the number of casualties that have occurred, the Aurors have locked away a lot of Death Eaters and kept some of some attacks from being truly disastrous."

Neville nodded his head enthusiastically. "That's it. That must be it."

"It could, possibly," Hermione said, "but I'd still like to hear what else Dumbledore has to say before I determine whether or not Sir Nicholas is right about his being 'cheerful.'"

Dessert was served next and, when everyone was too full to take one more piece of chocolate truffle, the plates were cleared and Dumbledore stood up to address the student body once again.

"I hope that all of you had an excellent meal and are so delightfully stuffed that all you can think about is heading off to bed. I do, however, have several announcements to make that I chose not to give at the beginning of our most wonderful feast. The first of which is that, of course, entering the Forbidden Forest is, as its name suggests, forbidden. The centaurs have informed me that should they catch anyone trespassing in the forest, they will be dealt with in a nasty and most severe way. The second announcement is that Quidditch tryouts this year will be determined solely by Madam Hooch. Captains, please see her to find out when your tryout has been scheduled. Anyone seeking to join their House's Quidditch team should keep an eye out for an announcement on the bulletin board in their common room.

"Thirdly, Mr. Filch, the school caretaker, wishes for me to remind everyone that all products made by Zonko's, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, and other joke shops are strictly forbidden. Any use of the products will result in several detentions. For a completely listing of forbidden items in Hogwarts, please consult with Mr. Filch's office door.

"Fourthly, there will only be four trips to Hogsmeade this year, each of which will be chaperoned by Aurors from the Ministry of Magic." His face turned somber. "Let it be known that it is not wise to attempt to sneak away from the Aurors. They will find you and you will be reported to your Head of House, who will reprimand you as they see fit. Remember that this is being done to ensure your safety, so please do not try to jeopardize yourself.

"Fifthly, the first and sixth years are required to stay after dinner next Monday so that they can be paired up for our mentorship program. I would like to note, however, that this year there are a lot more first years than there are sixth years, so, any sixth year or seventh year, for that matter, willing to mentor more than one student can volunteer by submitting their name to their Head of House.

"And finally, since I know all of you are desperately tired, I would like to announce some of the activities that will take place this year. The first activity, to take place at the end of September, is what I like to call Mentorship Day. On this day, first and second years will spend the day with their mentors. If a mentor has more than one student, then the mentor has the option of either spending a half day with each or spending the whole day with both, allowing both students to get to know each other more as well. There will also be another Mentorship Day towards the end of May. In December, right before the holiday, we will once again hold the Yule Ball. Everyone is invited, of course. In May, we will once again hold our Dueling Contest, so you can start brushing up on your dueling skills now. There is a possible event that may take place in late March, but I will first have the prefects determine whether or not it could be done. As for the exhibition Quidditch match that took place last year, I am afraid to say that it will not return." A good portion of the student body groaned at that, seeing as they had enjoyed the extra Quidditch match, but Dumbledore held up his hand to silence them. "I know a great many of you enjoyed that match and perhaps it will one day return, but for the moment, it is for the best that it does not.

"Now, I have taken up too much of your time and all of you must be exceedingly weary. Have a pleasant night's sleep and I look forward to seeing all of you throughout the rest of the year."

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville got up with the rest of the student body and shuffled their way to the doors of the Great Hall. Everyone seemed to be talking about Dumbledore's announcements, including Ginny and Neville. Hermione seemed pensive as they walked along while Ron stayed silent.

Harry led them up the marble staircase. Behind him, Ginny was saying, "I get to be a mentor this year. That's going to be weird. I hope I don't get someone who's whiny."

"The box will choose someone who shares most of your personality traits," Hermione told her.

"The box?" Ginny asked, puzzled.

"It's charmed to select who you'll mentor," Hermione explained.

"Oh."

"Hermione!" called someone from the bottom of the marble stairs. Harry turned around, along with the others, to see Ally Warrick, the second year that Hermione mentored, running up the stairs with Dylan Brown, the boy that Ron mentored, and Hunter Farrell, the boy that Harry was supposed to mentor, running after her.

"Hello, Ally!" Hermione said, smiling. "It's great to see you."

"Thanks. It's great to see you too!" Ally said, grinning. "Hi, Harry! Hi, Ron!"

"Hello," the two murmured.

Dylan was beaming at all of them. "Hullo!"

They returned the greeting and then offered the same to Hunter, who was usually rather quiet.

"Hi," Hunter replied back.

"We were wondering what the password is to get into the Gryffindor common room," Ally said briskly. "The last thing we want is to get stuck outside."

"Oh! Of course. It's 'polka-dot pear.' Got it?" she asked.

Dylan laughed. "Well, I suppose that's better than 'monkey poo,' isn't it?"

Hunter snickered, a rare sound from him, and Ally looked up at the others apologetically. "Sorry, it's an inside joke."

"That's okay," Harry said, grinning. "We have some ourselves, like a bouncing ferret."

Ron snorted and then coughed in an attempt to cover up his laugh, while the other three chuckled.

"A bouncing ferret?" Dylan asked.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Don't ask."

"Come on," Hermione said, heading back up the stairs. "Let's get up to the common room. We're going to have an exciting day tomorrow and I want to be alert during it."

Harry caught Ron rolling his eyes at her as they began to follow. He hung back, however, to walk beside Hunter.

"Hey-erm-sorry I didn't write you over the summer," he said.

Hunter brushed his apology aside with a simple, "Don't worry about it. I never took the initiative to write you, so we're both guilty."

Harry nodded. "How was your summer?"

"Fine," Hunter told him. "Mum and I spent a week spent a week visiting my great aunt in Sweden."

"Did you have fun?"

"She attempted to teach me how to knit," he said shortly.

"Oh." He laughed.

"But my mum's cousin dropped by one day and was able to tell us a bit about how Sweden is trying to get the Quidditch World Cup to hold the finals there. That's coming up again this summer, you know," Hunter said happily. "My dad got us tickets to the last one here in Britain. That Krum bloke sure is something, but Ireland killed Bulgaria in Quaffle-handling."

"How are you feeling about…your dad?" Harry asked quietly.

Hunter frowned. "I'm alright, I guess. I still miss him and all, but it's not as bad now. Not like before." Then he changed subjects. "I'm still on the Quidditch team, right?"

Harry let it go. "Of course. You're a brilliant Chaser. I wouldn't replace you."

Hunter smiled. "Good."

Ahead of them, the others had arrived at the portrait of the Fat Lady. "Polka-dot pear," Hermione announced.

"Welcome back," the Fat Lady said and swung open to admit them.

Harry followed the others into the common room and yawned.

"It's incredible how a long train ride, a feast, and the sight of these armchairs can induce sleepiness in a person," Hermione remarked.

"I'm going up to bed," Ginny said, heading towards the girls' dormitories.

"Yeah, me too," Neville said, taking off in the opposite direction towards the boys' dormitories.

Ron didn't say anything, but followed Neville up.

"See you around," Dylan said as he and Hunter made their way over to the stairs.

"Good night!" Ally said as she, too, left the common room.

Harry looked around. Unfortunately, there were too many people in the common room for him to do what he wanted to do, which was give Hermione a peck on the cheek. Instead he had to settle for a small smile. "I had better follow them up and go to bed."

"As should I. Good night, Harry."

"Good night, Hermione."

They parted without an embrace, a touch, or even another glance at each other. That was the way it would have to be between them, Harry knew. It was the only way to keep their relationship a secret.

Wearily, Harry walked up to his dormitory which now had a sign on the door that read SEVENTH YEARS and entered. Both his trunk and Hedwig's cage were sitting in front of his four poster bed, which looked so welcoming as he walked over and collapsed on it. The last time he had slept on that bed didn't seem all that long ago and he was grateful. Hogwarts had been his home for the past six years. Now he was back for one final year. Before he drifted off to sleep, he secretly hoped that it was his most uneventful.