Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: If I've planned this out right, you'll be reading the final chapter of this story on Thursday. Until then, I'm still writing the final two. Thankfully, the epilogue's done. Its just needs a little…tweaking. Anyway, enjoy the chapter. Thanks for the reviews everyone and, as always, thanks to Charmaine for betaing this.

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

THE OFFER

News of such a horrible quadruple attack sent shockwaves through the student body at Hogwarts. Those who had families living in the four cities rushed to send owls off to make sure everything was okay at home. Seamus Finnigan, who apparently had an aunt and uncle that lived in Dublin, had been spotted running headlong toward the Owlery.

For the most part, the halls of Hogwarts were silent. There was little laughter and most conversations were carried out in whispers. It seemed as though the entire student body understood that after such a serious event, there was very little to laugh about.

The final week of May seemed to take place far too slowly. Classes seemed more tedious even though the professors were squeezing in everything they could in order to prepare them for N.E.W.T.s.

When the final D.A. meeting of the year arrived, Harry felt relieved. There would finally be some noise again in Hogwarts.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" he said at the start of the meeting. When everyone turned and looked at him, he gave them a sad smile. "I understand that everyone's feeling a bit depressed and scared right now. What happened in Oxford, Dublin, Perth, and Barmouth is completely horrible. Knowing these spells I've been teaching you, though, may just keep you from being one of those two-hundred plus that died. Any one of those spells might just save your life. So, this evening, I'd like to review everything we've learned this year. I want you to partner up and duel. Use whatever spell you can think of. Defend yourself with Shield Charms and the like. You can consider this practice for next week's Dueling Contest or practice for what may happen in the real world. So-er-partner up and get dueling."

Harry spent the evening walking around, correcting people when he could, demonstrating how something could be done better, or just generally giving advice. At the end of the lesson, he gave them all a smile.

"You've done great all year. I'm really, really proud of all of you. You've got a better handle on defensive spells now than when you first walked in here and that's a good thing. Who knows just what that extra knowledge might do for you? I want to wish all of you well on your exams next month and, of course, a safe journey home once the school term ends. In the meantime, I hope all of you will sign up for the Dueling Contest and show off your skills," he said. "Other than that, good night."

The students broke out into applause, taking Harry aback. Many of them walked up to shake his hand and thank him for all of the help that he had been over the school year. The only thing he could seem to do was blush, shake their hands, and say "You're welcome."

The next day was the second and final Mentorship Day. Harry woke up and did his usual exercises before returning to the castle and showering. Once he was dressed and back in the common room, he worked for a bit on his latest Defense Against the Dark Arts assignment as other students came downstairs. When Hermione arrived, she sat down next to Harry.

"Are you ready to spend another whole day with Hunter?" she asked him.

He shrugged. "Yeah. I'm sure we'll talk Quidditch and the like," he said.

"I imagine Ally will want me to tell her all about how difficult the exams were during second year. Of course, I wouldn't know this since we didn't have any," Hermione said, sighing. "I wish we had."

"Hermione, you had been petrified. How d'you expect you could have taken all those exams with only about a week to study for them?" he asked.

"I would have found a way," she said.

He laughed. "I'm sure you have. After all, with you and schoolwork, nothing's impossible."

"That's right," she said, causing him to laugh again.

Eventually, his laughter died away. "How d'you think the Obliviators are doing, modifying all those memories?"

"I don't know," Hermione said quietly.

"It angers me that something like that happened," he said. "I need to stop it before he tries to outdo himself. Before he attacks eight cities or twenty, all at once."

"I know, Harry, I know," she said.

"It's horrible, all those people killed. It's got to end," he said.

She took his hand in hers. "It will end," she said firmly. "You will end it."

"Yeah. I will and I have to do it sooner rather than later." He frowned. "When term ends, Hermione, I've got to go after him if he hasn't come for me yet."

She squeezed his hand. "Then I'll be going with you."

He gave her a small smile. "Well, we are bonded after all, aren't we? There's not much of a choice in the matter."

"No. Where you go, I go because you'll need me and, as the bond dictates, I'll always be there when you do," she said.

"Although I suppose Ron will want to be with us as well," he said.

"Yes. He wouldn't be Ron otherwise. He has just as much of a stake in this war as you do. As I do," she said.

"What's your stake in this war, other than peace for the wizarding and Muggle worlds?" he asked her.

"Isn't it obvious, Harry?" she asked, leaning forward. "You."

"Me?"

"Yes," she said. "The biggest thing I have to lose in this war is you."

"But what about your parents?" he asked.

She shook her head. "I love them and of course I would be devastated if something were to happen to them, but Harry, you remember what you told me in the Room of Requirement, don't you? You said that if I died, so would you. You said you wouldn't see a point for anything anymore. Don't you understand? It's the same with me. I'd die if I lost you. I'd never be the same again. I wouldn't want to go anywhere or do anything. I would probably leave the magical world behind."

"No. Don't say that," he said, cupping her cheek with his hand and not caring if all of the occupants in the common room where watching them. "You're stronger than that. I wouldn't…I wouldn't rest properly unless I knew that you were going to be okay. I'd need for you to go on, Hermione. I don't want you to dwell in the past. You have such a bright future ahead of you, regardless of whether or not I'm in it."

"It wouldn't be the same future if you weren't in it," she said.

"Well, that's why I'm going to try my damnedest to come out on top. I want to live so that you and I can explore the future-together," he said.

She kissed him. "I'll try to stay alive, too. I'm not as good at all those defensive spells as you are."

"You're better than you think," he said with a lopsided grin.

"Well, still, I could always use some private tutoring," she said.

His grin widened. "I can arrange that."

He was just about to kiss her when Ron came down into the common room. "'Morning you two," he said. "Is it time for breakfast?"

Harry sighed and checked his watch. "Nearly. Let's go downstairs."

*****

Harry and Hunter met in the entrance hall after breakfast for their day together while Ron and Dylan went outside and Hermione, Ally, and Tara all went up the marble staircase. Harry distinctly heard the word "library" come out of Hermione's mouth as she passed, giving him a little grin along the way.

"So, what d'you want to do today?" he asked Hunter.

"Well, I was sort of hoping that…oh, never mind," he said, slumping his shoulders.

"No, what? I'd like to know," Harry said.

"Well, I was sort of wondering if you'd be willing to duel with me," Hunter said. "I want to get better at it. I mean, I learned a lot at the D.A. meetings, but I feel like there's so much more I can learn."

"You're right, there is," Harry said. "But I wouldn't expect a second year to know or do everything that I've used in duels. Some of it is really hard magic, like the Conjunctivitis Curse. I mean, they don't even teach you Summoning until your fourth year."

"Can you teach me some new spells?" Hunter asked. "I really want to be a good duelist, like you."

Harry stuffed his hands into his pockets. "Yeah, I suppose. Come on, we'll go upstairs to the Room of Requirement and practice."

"The room of what?"

"Requirement," Harry said, smiling. "It's one of my favorite places to hang out here."

"Er-okay," Hunter said, following Harry up the marble staircase.

When Harry got the door to the Room of Requirement to appear, Hunter looked amazed. "Wow! How'd you do that?" he asked.

"Simple. Just walk past this stretch of corridor three times, focusing on what you need. Then the door should appear and inside is-"

"-what I need," Hunter finished in awe. "Cool."

Harry opened the door. Inside was a completely empty room with dark wooden floors. He stepped inside with Hunter right behind him.

"It can be a lot more impressive than this," Harry said. "We used to hold the original D.A. meetings in here in order to hide from Professor Umbridge."

"Who's that?" Hunter asked.

"Lupin's predecessor. She was one nasty piece of work. See that?" he asked, showing him the faint, thin scarring on the back of his hand. "Tokens of her appreciation."

"Does that…say something?" Hunter asked, squinting.

"Yeah. 'I must not tell lies.' Every time I had detention with her, that's what she'd make me write," he said.

"On your hand?"

"No. On parchment with a-er-special sort of quill pen," he said darkly.

"That's sadistic," Hunter said.

"No kidding. So, are we going to duel?"

"Er-yeah. Okay."

Harry nodded and stepped back. Hunter did the same. "Okay, Hunter. Show me what you've got."

Hunter nodded. "Locomotor Mortis!"

"Protego!" Harry cried, successfully blocking the spell.

"Petrificus Totalus!"

Once again, with a wave of his wand, he blocked the spell.

Hunter gaped. "How'd you do that?"

"Nonverbal magic," Harry said. "You'll get to it."

"Okay. Erm-Expell-"

"Impedimenta!" Harry cried, freezing him for a moment.

When Hunter could move again, he said, "That wasn't very fair."

"Death Eaters won't wait for you to think of a spell," Harry said. "You've got to always have one handy. I've got a spell that you can put into your bag of tricks. People don't much think about it, but it can be quite useful."

"What?" Hunter asked.

Harry pointed his wand at him. "Tarantallegra!"

Instantly, Hunter's legs began to twitch in a crazy for of dance. When he fell to the floor, Harry murmured, "Finite." The twitching stopped.

Hunter slowly got up. "What was that spell again?"

"Tarantallegra," Harry said. "Quite useful and second year friendly."

Hunter smirked. "Tarantallegra!" he cried, pointing his wand at Harry.

Harry's legs began to move uncontrollably. He waved his wand down at his legs before he could fall over. "Excellent!"

"What else can I use? You mentioned Summoning downstairs," Hunter said.

"Summoning an object is very difficult," Harry told him. "It takes a great deal of concentration."

"I'd like to try it," Hunter said.

"Very well," Harry said, looking around. Suddenly, a book appeared to his left. He pointed his wand at it. "Accio book!"

When he caught it, he held it up for Hunter. "The spell's 'Accio.' Got it?"

Hunter nodded. "Got it." He pointed his wand at the book. "Accio book!"

Nothing happened.

"It's okay," Harry said. "It took me a long time to learn this one."

Hunter nodded, his eyebrows knit. "Accio book!"

This time, the book gave a feeble little lurch, but it was something. "Not bad," Harry said. "Not bad at all. I'd save that one for fourth year, though. We've got to give Professor Flitwick something to teach you."

"Okay," he said. "But can you teach me some more spells to put into my bag of tricks?"

Harry smiled. "Sure."

*****

Three hours later, Harry and Hunter sat on the floor in the Room of Requirement, exhausted. Harry had taught him several spells that had been useful to him and he also helped Hunter do a more successful Disarming Spell, which was sure to help him in the long run. Now they sat, talking.

"Who d'you think will be captain of the Quidditch team next year?" Hunter asked.

"I dunno," Harry replied truthfully. "I'd have to guess Ginny, though. She's the oldest of all of you who joined the team last year."

"Yeah, that's what I thought," Hunter said. "Ginny's cool, though. I like her."

"Yeah, she's a good person," he said and meant it. Aside from spending time with Malfoy, there wasn't much about Ginny that he could criticize.

"Are you going to play Quidditch anymore?" Hunter asked.

He shook his head. "No. I'm not headed for the professional teams. I'm going to become an Auror once I get out of here."

"You'd be good at it, definitely," Hunter said. "My dad was a good Auror."

"Yeah, I'm sure he was," Harry said with a smile. "Hey, how's your little problem with Ally and Tara going?"

He turned a bright red. "Oh-er-good."

"Good? What happened?"

"Well, I-er-talked to Tara," he said, "and I told her that I didn't fancy her, but that I still wanted to be her friend. I want to help her join the Quidditch the year after next when Ginny leaves. As for Ally…"

"What?" Harry asked, a small grin playing over his face.

"When she heard that I told Tara that I didn't fancy her, she stopped being so snippy to me. I asked her why she was being that way to me in the first place and she finally told me that she fancies me a tiny bit, so I told her I fancy her a tiny bit, too," he said, his face brighter than a cherry.

"And?"

"And what? We're not going out. We're too young for that. Speaking of dating, how long have you been dating Hermione? I mean, I've heard the rumors, but those who were closer to the two of you kept saying that you were just friends. Then WHAM! Next thing I know, I'm hearing about you and her snogging in the entrance hall in front of everyone," Hunter said. "When did that start?"

Harry laughed. "She and I have been going out since July, but we've been keeping it as quiet as we could. Unfortunately, Peeves caught her and I snogging one night and blabbed on us, so Hermione and I decided to give everyone a little show to stop the wondering."

"Oh."

"Hey, in any of those rumors, did you hear anything about bets being taken?" Harry asked.

Hunter shifted uncomfortably. "Once or twice, maybe. I never thought they were serious, though."

Harry frowned. "Okay."

"Hey, d'you want to go outside and fly around?" Hunter asked.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, sure. I'd like that."

Together, they got up and headed for the common room to enjoy a day in the sun.

*****

The following day-June 1st-Harry, Ron, and Hermione went to go see Hagrid. It had been far too long since their last visit and Harry was quite happy to sit down inside Hagrid's hut and have tea.

"I'm so happy yeh came down ter see me today. Harry, Ron, have yeh seen the inside o' the Prophet?"

"No," Harry and Ron replied.

Hagrid grabbed his copy of the Daily Prophet and flipped it open to page seven. "There yeh go," he said. "Look at that."

There was a picture of a very pretty young woman with her light blonde hair in a plait down her back holding a Firebolt. She gave them an impish sort of grin as she looked around.

Underneath her was the headline:

World Cup Teams Forming

With the Quidditch World Cup right around the corner, teams around the world have begun to announce their rosters.

Reigning champions, Ireland, are returning all seven of their players to the line-up, while runners up, the Bulgarians, announced two days ago that they had secured their Seeker from the last time around, Viktor Krum, to come back and play for them.

Michelle Blackwell (pictured), who, after a three-year stint as Seeker for the Holyhead Harpies said she would be returning to the United States to play Quidditch for the Fitchburg Finches, was announced as the Seeker of the American National Team, which boasts its strongest line-up yet. Blackwell, who originally started playing the American sport of Quodpot (she spent four years playing it professionally), came to Britain in order to learn how to play Quidditch-the sport she preferred-properly in a move that greatly alarmed the American Quodpot fans. She joined the Holyhead Harpies and has had three good seasons with them, becoming a good friend of the Harpies captain, Gwenog Jones, in the process.

"She'll help the Americans out, that's for sure," Jones said of her.

As for the English National Quidditch team, no definite roster has been announced, although there are many bets going around that Puddlemere United's rising star Keeper, Oliver Wood, will be tabbed for the team. Sam Flockton of the Wigtown Wanderers and Derek Turner of the Montrose Magpies are shoe-ins for the two Beater slots.

Most people wonder, however, who England will tag to play Seeker. Owen MacDonnell of the Ballycastle Bats-by far the best Seeker this year-has already signed on to play for Scotland. When asked who they are thinking about contacting to play, Manager Henry Fisk isn't talking.

Harry was grinning. "Wood might play in the World Cup? That's great!"

"I know," Hagrid said. "Thought yeh might like ter see that. He did an excellent job this year, I heard, comin' up from the reserves when Puddlemere's usual Seeker got hurt."

"I hope he gets on the team. He loves Quidditch. He should get the chance," Harry said.

"They got Vicky to come back, I see," Ron said, rereading the article. "What? Did he get tired of hunting vampires?" He glanced over at Hermione.

"I don't know. I don't talk to Viktor anymore. We've lost contact with each other," Hermione said.

"Good," both Harry and Ron muttered.

Hermione frowned at them. "He's going to play in the World Cup again, is he?"

"Yeah, there's not enough glory in hunting vampires," Ron said.

"He wasn't hunting vampires for the glory of it, Ron," Hermione said. "He was doing it because he wanted to help with the war."

"Sure," Ron said.

"I think ol' Krum's just takin' a break from huntin' all those vampires," Hagrid said. "Ev'ryone needs to have a little spot of fun now and then, even durin' times o' war.

"Anyway, I've got ter get into the forest ter see Grawp. Do yeh three want ter come with me?" Hagrid asked hopefully.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked at each other, grimacing. But the hopeful look on Hagrid's face was too hard to resist.

"Yeah, okay," Harry said, causing Ron and Hermione to grimace even more.

"Great! Grawpy would love ter see yeh! He's asked me a few times about yeh in particular, Hermione," Hagrid said, smiling.

"Oh, that's-that's nice," Hermione said, giving Hagrid a false cheery look.

"Well, come on. Grawp's waiting. C'mon, Fang," he added to his boarhound.

Together, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Hagrid set off into the forest.

"Erm-are the centaurs still very hostile?" Hermione asked nervously.

"Oh, it's not as bad anymore. They're still pretty miffed about the whole Firenze thing, but I think they recognize the fact that I'm not goin' ter be pushed around by 'em," Hagrid said.

Hermione made a noise that sounded like something in between a squeak and a groan. Harry stepped closer to her and took her hand in his.

They walked for what seemed like a half-hour, their clothes snagging on creepers and thorns. Finally, Hagrid stopped them.

"He likes it if I call out first," he told them. "Grawp! Grawpy! It's Hagrid! I brought some friends!"

The ground suddenly shook. Harry looked up. Knocking through the trees came Hagrid's half-brother, the giant, Grawp. He looked down at Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"Yeh remember 'em, don' yeh?" Hagrid asked.

Grawp leaned downward, staring at them all. Suddenly he opened his mouth and said, "Hermy."

She gave a small smile. "Hi, Grawp."

"Hermy!" he said louder, giving them a toothy grin. "Hermy come back!"

Hagrid was smiling. "I guess he remembers yeh, Hermione," he said over Grawp's cries of "Hermy come back! Hermy come back!"

She gave a nervous giggle. "Yes, Grawp. Hermy came back. How are you?"

"Grawp good," he said and suddenly sat down, causing the ground to shake terribly. "Hermy good?"

"Yes, I'm good. I see that your English is coming along nicely."

He nodded his great big head. "Hagger good teacher."

"I agree. Hagrid's a great teacher," Hermione said, causing Hagrid to beam at her.

Grawp suddenly noticed Harry and Ron. "Who you?" he asked.

"Er-I'm Harry. We've met before, do you remember? You pulled a werewolf off of me once," Harry said.

"Harry," Grawp said, but no look of recognition lit his face. He turned to Ron. "Who you?"

"Er-Ron. I'm a friend of Hermione's-Hermy's," he said.

Grawp turned back to Harry. "Harry friend of Hermy too?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah. A very good friend."

"Harry's my boyfriend, actually," Hermione said.

"Yeah, I wish yeh two would 'ave told me about that sooner," Hagrid said.

Harry frowned. "Sorry Hagrid. We wanted to keep it a secret from people. We should have told you, though."

"Yes, Hagrid, we're sorry."

"Ah, it's alright. I lost the pool anyway," Hagrid said.

"The pool? You mean those rumors were true? There were bets on us?" Harry said, indignant.

"Small bets," Hagrid said. "I thought yeh two would be together by yer fifth year. I was wrong."

Hermione shook her head.

"What boyfriend?" Grawp asked suddenly.

"What's a boyfriend?" Hermione asked, to which Grawp nodded. "A boyfriend is a girl's-er-very good male friend who goes out on dates and such with her."

"Date?"

"Go out and do stuff together. All alone," Hermione told him.

"The boyfriend also gets to kiss the girl," Ron said, grinning.

"Kiss? Harry kiss Hermy?" Grawp asked, looking rather perplexed.

"Yes. Sometimes," Hermione replied.

Grawp stood up. "Harry no kiss Hermy."

"Er-" She glanced nervously at both Harry and Hagrid.

"Harry no kiss Hermy!"

"Oh dear," she squeaked.

"I think he's jealous of you, mate," Ron said, backing away.

"Harry no kiss Hermy!" Grawp yelled.

"Grawpy, no! That's a bad boy! Harry can kiss whomever he chooses," Hagrid said, stepping forward.

"HARRY NO KISS HERMY!" Grawp roared.

"Grawp, sit back down!" Hagrid yelled, but Grawp waved his massive arm and sent Hagrid flying.

The giant advanced on Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"Run!" Hagrid yelled. "RUN!"

Harry grabbed Hermione and pulled her away from Grawp. They ran away as fast as they could as Hagrid tried to wrestle Grawp to the ground as he still yelled, "HARRY NO KISS HERMY!"

They didn't stop until they reached the edge of the forest, each of them clutching a stitch in their side.

"Blimey, Harry," Ron said. "Didn't see that one coming, did we?"

He shook his head. "Not at all. But I've got to say, for a giant, he has good taste."

Beside him, Hermione laughed. "Thanks. I just hope that Hagrid's alright."

"He will be," Harry said. "Come on, let's go wait for him back in his hut."

"Okay," Hermione said as they took off.

*****

Hagrid came back with a number of bruises and cuts, but it was nothing he couldn't fix with some dragon's blood, he said. So, three hours after Grawp's rampage, Harry, Ron, and Hermione left Hagrid's hut when Hagrid decided to lie down with a dragon steak pressed to his face.

On Wednesday morning, everything had been going completely normal until Harry spotted Hedwig amongst the owls delivering post. She landed in front of him and stuck out her leg. Attached to it was an envelope.

"What's this?" Harry asked, looking at Ron and Hermione. "I never get mail anymore."

He took the letter from Hedwig, who helped herself to his bread crusts. He opened the envelope.

"What's it say, Harry?" Ron asked.

"Let him read it first, Ron," Hermione said, but she leaned over his shoulder to read it too.

Harry Potter,

As you may very well know, the next Quidditch World Cup is set to begin this July. National teams are now forming to bring glory to their country.

In November, scouts attended matches at Hogwarts to see if they could find new blood for the Quidditch teams of Britain and Ireland. They found you.

We had been told that you are a phenomenal Seeker, Mr. Potter, quite possibly the best amateur ever seen. Therefore, we-the English National Quidditch Team Roster Committee (ENQTRC)-decided to attend your match in February. We were greatly impressed by what we saw.

Mr. Potter, we have been searching for a talented Seeker to play on the English National Team. Even though you are an amateur and have no experience playing professionally, we believe that you are the best choice. After all, in the last Quidditch World Cup, it was proven that young, nonprofessional players can do great things.

Therefore, we formally offer you the position of Seeker on the English National Team. Playing on the team brings glory not only to yourself, but to England as well.

Please consider joining us and kindly respond by June 25th as to whether or not you will play. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Michael Helton

ENQTRC President

"You've got to be kidding me," Hermione said when she finished reading the letter.

"What? What's it say?" Ron asked.

Harry found that he couldn't speak, he was so shocked. He handed the letter over to Ron, who read it, a goofy grin spreading over his face.

"Seeker for the National team!" he cried, giving the letter back to Harry. "That's incredible! You're going to have so much fun!"

Hermione frowned. "Who said he was going to do it?" she said sharply. "After he leaves Hogwarts, he'll be going into Auror training."

"But he's got to do this," Ron said, sounding scandalized at the thought of not accepting. "It's the Quidditch World Cup!"

"Quidditch isn't the most important thing in the world," Hermione said. "You want Harry to postpone his career-something he's wanted to do since he was a fourth year-just to play Quidditch?"

"But this is a once in a lifetime opportunity!" Ron said. "The Quidditch World Cup."

"Harry," she said, turning to him. "You're not actually thinking about accepting this offer, are you?"

Harry's head seemed to be swimming. He couldn't think, let alone decide. All he knew was that he had just been asked to play Quidditch against people from all around the world-to test his skills against Seekers who had years of experience on professional teams. He'd love to do that. The problem was, as Hermione had pointed out, he would not be able to start his Auror training right away, which was something else he wanted desperately to do.

He had to choose which one he wanted to do more, play Quidditch for the glory of England or learn how to fight Dark wizards. Who did he want to be? A Seeker or an Auror?

Then there was the other aspect of his future waiting in the balance. He had told Hermione that, at term's end, he would go hunting for Voldemort. If he did that, he would not be able to play Quidditch or start his Auror training right away. In the back of his mind he could still hear Voldemort's voice saying, "He must die before July."

With a great sigh, he said, "No. I'm not. There are other things that must be done. Until Voldemort's dead, nothing else matters. My Quidditch days are over."