Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: Hey, you guys are getting close to me now, which is what I want. Big thanks to Charmaine, my beta, for putting up with me. Also, a HUGE thanks to everyone that's been reviewing. I really do appreciate it.

CHAPTER THIRTY

GAWAIN GREENE

Zacharias Smith had never looked angrier, in Harry's opinion. After Madam Pomfrey mended Harry's broken arm, they headed back to the common room. Hermione spent the time between then and dinner doing her homework, while Harry and Ron took a much needed break and played wizard's chess. When it was time to go down to dinner, they traveled down to the Great Hall, only to find Smith in the entrance hall, looking furious.

"Potter," he spat.

"Smith," Harry murmured.

Smith's lip curled. "That was our match to win! You took that from us, Potter!"

"You think so?" Harry said, his temper rising. "You really think so?"

Hermione stepped in between them. "Don't you dare say that Harry took anything from you, Smith. You ordered your Beaters to break his arm with a Bludger. He's lucky he didn't fall off of his broom from fifty feet in the air, much like your own Seeker, but I guess you forgot about that, didn't you? You forgot the fact that Harry, instead of catching the Snitch the first time he had the chance, went and saved your Seeker from seriously injuring herself and how do you repay him? By breaking his arm!"

Harry had only seen Hermione looking that livid once before and she had smacked Malfoy out of that rage. Harry pulled her back before she could repeat the offense.

"You're a pretty sore loser, Smith," Harry said. "Worse than a Slytherin. Now, if you'll excuse us, we'd like to go eat." With that, he guided Hermione into the Great Hall, Ron following along behind them. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ron give Smith a rude hand gesture.

"Little twit," Ron grumbled, sitting down. "Hermione was absolutely right."

"I don't care anymore," Harry said. "It's over and done. My arm's perfect again and we won. Smith can go punch a troll for all I care."

"Or maybe the troll could punch him," Ron suggested. "He might start looking better."

Hufflepuff's brutal and ungrateful tactics were the talk of the following week. Most people agreed that Smith had been watching the Slytherin team far too closely. Meanwhile, the other Hufflepuff Quidditch players burned hot with shame.

"I'm sorry about how my lot treated you," Ernie Macmillan said in Herbology. "Smith's a real moron, but I'm thankful you were there to catch poor Angie. I thought she was a goner."

The Ravenclaws all seemed to sympathize with Gryffindor. Most of them shot Smith dirty looks as he walked down the corridors. Eventually, Smith took to walking with his head down.

"He's a horrible captain," one Ravenclaw girl said to Harry at their February D.A. meeting. "Almost as bad as some of those Slytherin captains."

March came and with it, Ron's birthday. Hagrid offered up his hut as the location of a small party for him, so Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna all enjoyed a nice evening celebrating Ron's eighteenth birthday. Ron really seemed pleased with the whole thing.

"To eighteen more years of being a lovable prat!" Ron toasted, holding up his seventh bottle of butterbeer out of the two dozen that Hagrid had bought for the occasion.

"Cheers!" Ginny said, laughing.

After the party, Ron and Luna walked back up to the castle, holding hands. Neville and Ginny were doing the same. That left Harry and Hermione to walk along behind them. With a great effort, they stayed a respectable distance away from each other.

"Forgive me for saying this," Neville said as they were midway through their walk back, "but Harry, Hermione, I'm surprised the two of you don't have a girlfriend or boyfriend."

Harry and Hermione glanced at each other. "That was surprisingly bold of you, Neville," Harry said.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to be rude or anything," Neville said, his face turning a light pink.

"No, it's okay," Hermione said as she stopped and looked at Harry imploringly.

Harry frowned. The others stopped as well.

"We can trust them, can't we?" Hermione whispered.

"Yeah, but the fewer people that know, the better," Harry whispered back.

"What are you two whispering about?" Ginny asked.

"Harry," Hermione murmured, grabbing his arm. "They're our friends. Our close friends. I highly doubt they'll go blabbing about us."

Harry sighed. "I know they wouldn't, but-"

"Harry, please. We've left them in the dark for long enough and plus a secret like this can put a strain on their own relationships. This isn't very fair for either Ron or Ginny," she said.

Harry stared into her brown eyes for a moment, thinking hard. It was true that Neville and Luna were much closer to them than the other students around Hogwarts. After all, they had gone with Harry, Ron, and Hermione to the Department of Mysteries along with Ginny. Harry knew, too, that both of them valued their friendship much more than anyone else's.

"Okay," he said quietly. "Let's tell them."

She smiled and turned back to the others with her hand in Harry's. "The truth of the matter is, Neville, the reason why neither Harry nor I have a significant other is-"

"-because we're each other's significant other," Harry finished for her. He smiled at her. "Hermione is my girlfriend."

"And Harry is my boyfriend," Hermione said, grinning.

Neville's jaw dropped but Luna looked positively serene. "You mean…you mean that you two are…" Neville said, pointing at the two of them.

"Together," Hermione said. "And we have been since July."

Neville's jaw dropped even further.

"I'm not surprised," Luna said. "It was only a matter of time, really. You two always had that special air about you."

"Did you know?" Neville asked Ginny. "Did you know about the two of them?"

Ginny nodded. "Ron and I walked in on them snogging when we went to pick them up and take them to the Burrow."

A look of comprehension dawned on Luna's face. "That's why you were so angry at the two of them, Ronald. They didn't tell you straight off, but kept it hidden from you as well."

"Er-yeah," Ron said, frowning.

"And here I thought the whole feud had to do with Ron's jealousy over the Head Boy badge," Neville said.

"Well, I was pretty pissed about that, too," Ron said.

"I don't understand one thing, though," Luna said, frowning. "You said on the train that Harry had betrayed you. How had he done that?"

"Oh-er-well…" He sighed. "Okay, this is how it was. I thought I fancied Hermione once, but Harry convinced me that I was confusing my feelings for her as something romantic. When I saw them together, though, I immediately started to believe that he had lied to me just to clear his path to Hermione. However, after a nice, long conversation with Hermione, I found out he was right all along."

"Oh, I see," Luna said. "You don't fancy Hermione anymore, do you?"

"No!" Ron said. "She's like a sister to me. That's all."

"So-er-you two are together," Neville said. "Why haven't you told anyone?"

"Because Voldemort's after me," Harry said, watching Neville cringe. "If he found out that Hermione means more to me than just my best friend, he might come after her to get to me. As it is, his Death Eaters tried that once already," he muttered darkly.

"Right. The cemetery," Neville said.

"That's why you two can't tell anyone, got it? You're our friends, so we feel safe in telling you, but no one else can know. Voldemort's got ways of finding out this information from inside the walls of Hogwarts," Harry said. "After all, the children of Death Eaters go here."

Neville shuddered. "Don't worry, you have my word, Harry. I won't tell a soul. I won't even talk about it with Ginny."

"Likewise," Luna said.

"Thank you," Harry said, feeling relieved.

"I guess that means you two can hold hands now until we get back to the castle," Luna said.

Harry laughed, swinging his and Hermione's joined hands. "Yeah, I guess so." He held her hand up to his lips and kissed it. "Let's go."

*****

True to their word, neither Neville nor Luna mentioned Harry and Hermione's relationship. They treated the two of them exactly the same way as before. Both Ron and Ginny even reported that when they were with their respective significant others, Harry and Hermione weren't mentioned at all.

"Not that, you know, I'd talk about you when she and I are having a bit of a snog," Ron said.

The next two weeks passed by rather quickly. The snow had finally stopped and the sun started to shine meekly through the clouds. Harry's morning jogs were becoming tolerable again, even though it was still quite cold outside. It would be a blessing when spring came.

That weekend was to be the Ravenclaw versus Slytherin match. Harry debated back and forth about whether or not he wanted to go-he had a pile of homework to do thanks to Professors Snape, McGonagall, and Flitwick, which Hermione kept hinting that he should do right away. Ron kept hinting that he should go, so that they could figure out what they would have to do to win the Quidditch Cup.

On the morning of the match, however, Harry didn't feel very good. His nose had been stuffed up for a few days, but now his throat hurt and he was sneezing and coughing, too.

"Go see Madam Pomfrey," Hermione told him when he wandered down to the common room.

"I'm fine," Harry assured her. "It's nothing, really."

"It's a cold, Harry. Madam Pomfrey can give you some Pepper-Up Potion," she said.

"Just what I want, to walk around all day with steam coming out of my ears," Harry muttered.

"Harry-"

"Don't worry about me, Hermione. I'll be okay and I'll try not to infect anyone else. I think I'll do that homework you've been hinting that I should do," he said, giving her a lopsided grin.

"Everyone ready for the Quidditch match today?" Ron said after he bounded down the stairs and into the common room. "I hope Ravenclaw kicks Slytherin's arse!"

Harry suddenly sneezed. "Eugh. Sorry. It's not likely to happen, Ron. Look at last year."

"Hey, you never know. Maybe Malfoy will be too busy primping to notice the Snitch. I heard Ravenclaw's new Seeker isn't half bad," Ron said.

"But Malfoy's on a better broom." He sneezed again. "I don't think I'll be going today."

"But-but-but-it's Quidditch!" Ron sputtered. "How can you not go to Quidditch?"

"Because I'm not feeling well," Harry said. "You can fill me in when you get back."

"Alright. Erm-take care of yourself, mate," Ron said before exiting the common room.

Harry glanced at Hermione, who was reading. "Why don't you go with him?" he suggested.

"Oh, Harry, you know I don't care that much for Quidditch. The only matches I care about are the ones that you and Ron play in. The only reason why I've ever gone to any of the other ones is because you and Ron wanted to go so badly."

"Still though, it would look good if you were seen with just Ron. Leave sick, busy Harry in the common room and go have an exciting-albeit rather cold-Quidditch match," Harry said.

"I'd rather not," Hermione said. "I'd rather stay here and help you with your homework. That looks friendly enough."

Harry tried to chuckle, but ended up coughing instead. "Very well. If you'd rather stay here with the diseased boy, fine."

"You really should go to the hospital wing," Hermione said.

Harry shook his head and moved over to a table with his books. Hermione joined him. "What are you working on first?"

"I figured I'd get that torture device known as Potions done first," Harry said, pulling out his Potions book.

"Good plan."

Several hours later, Harry had both his Potions and Transfiguration essays done. All that was left was his Charms essay. Just as Harry opened up his Charms book, Ron walked back in, looking jubilant.

"Slytherin lost!" he yelled, plopping down next to Hermione.

"What?" Harry cried. "Ravenclaw beat them?"

"Yeah! Slytherin was murdering Ravenclaw, one-forty to twenty when both Malfoy and that Ravenclaw Seeker, Baird, went after the Snitch. They had to wind through the goal posts and I guess Malfoy was bumping Baird, who bumped back hard enough to send him colliding with one of the posts, the stupid git. He got knocked out and fell about twenty feet before Baird caught the Snitch. Seamus and I couldn't stop laughing about it," Ron said.

"It's not very funny, though," Hermione said. "He's probably seriously hurt."

"Who cares?" Ron said happily. "Serves him right."

Harry sneezed again, violently. "Oh, Harry, for God's sake, go down to the hospital wing now or Ron and I will drag you down there."

He sighed. "Alright, alright. I'll go," he said, closing his book. "Although the only thing I think I need is a big bowl of soup."

"I'm hoping the house-elves make roast beef for dinner," Ron said. "I'm hungry."
"You're always hungry," Hermione muttered. "Go on, Harry."

"I'm going," he said and left the common room.

The walk down to the hospital wing was quick. He managed to avoid Peeves, who was too busy trying to stick gum in all of the keyholes. When he walked in, though, he didn't see Madam Pomfrey.

He sat down on one of the beds, looking around. A curtain had been drawn around one bed and behind it he could hear two people talking quietly. He strained his hearing to listen in.

"…know why you sent all of your well-wishers away," he heard Ginny's voice say. "I'm sort of glad you did, though."

"Well-wishers," said the bitter voice of Draco Malfoy. "They were just mad that I didn't catch the Snitch and wanted to tell me so."

"I highly doubt that, Draco," Ginny said. "Crabbe and Goyle were probably concerned."

"Sure," Malfoy muttered. "The only consolation I have is that those two won't beat me with their bats when we play Hufflepuff. The others would rather me not be their captain."

"They're only disappointed, that's all. They'll get over it," Ginny said.

"Yeah, well, that's the second bloody match we've lost. I had it, too."

"Things happen," Ginny said. "If your teammates don't accept that, then they're pathetic."

"If you say so," Malfoy said. "Why did you come up here to see me again?"

"To see if you're okay," Ginny replied. "Everyone admits that you had a very nasty fall."

"That seems like a pretty stupid reason to come. Madam Pomfrey had me fixed in a heartbeat. She only wants me to rest now. I'll be out of this infestation of the diseased by tomorrow morning," Malfoy said.

"Well, I'm sorry for trying to be friendly. I suppose this is what you did to everyone else to drive them away-insult and criticize everything about them? I thought you only reserved that for your enemies. It's sort of sad, really," Ginny said.

"Perhaps you should try to stop acting like you know me," Malfoy said.

Harry heard the scrapping of a chair. "Fine. I've tried to be nice to you, Draco. I've tried to listen and offer you support. I guess all of this House unity crap was just that-crap."

"Oh, is that what all of this is about? That House unity junk?" Malfoy said.

"No. You and I are going through similar things in our lives with the deaths of family members. You keep pushing everyone away because you don't think anyone could possibly know how you feel, but you're wrong. You're dead wrong. That's why I've been reaching out to you. I've been trying to tell you that you're not alone!" Ginny said. She began to pull back the curtains.

"Ginny-wait!" Malfoy said, causing her to drop the curtain.

"What?"

"Alright. I get it. You want us to cry on each other's shoulders. I just don't understand why, though, aside from the fact that my mum's dead and so is your brother and father. I mean, I'm Draco Malfoy, Gryffindor House's least favorite Slytherin and nemesis to your brother and his friends. Why even bother?" Malfoy asked.

"Because you looked like you were lost and needed a friend and, even though we've never gotten along, as a Gryffindor I'm brave enough to wave the white flag of truce and to try to turn such a negative relationship into a positive one," Ginny said.

"That does take a lot of guts," Malfoy admitted. There was a pause. "Look, I'm-"

"Mr. Potter, when did you come in? Why are you here?" asked Madam Pomfrey as she stepped out of her office, cutting off whatever Malfoy was just about to say.

Harry coughed. "Er-I got here just now. I've got a cold."

"You need some Pepper-Up Potion. I've had loads of students with colds come in. It's this blasted weather." She poured some steaming red liquid into a goblet and handed it to him. "Drink all of this up. You'll be fine by this evening."

"Thank you, ma'am," he said, accepting the goblet. He sipped the potion down, listening hard, but neither Malfoy nor Ginny spoke. When he finished, he put the goblet on the bedside table and left, steam already blowing out of his ears.

He heard footsteps running up from behind him. "Harry!" Ginny called. When he turned, she tried to hide a grin. "Oh, my, look at your red face."

"I imagine I look something like a red tea kettle," Harry said, giving her a shrewd look.

She cleared her throat and fidgeted. "How long where you really waiting for Madam Pomfrey?"

"That doesn't really matter, now, does it?" he said, setting off for Gryffindor Tower again.

"Please, don't tell Ron. Or Neville," she added as an afterthought.

"Why not?" Harry asked, stopping again. "If Ron found out, he'd probably waltz right into the hospital wing and punch Malfoy's lights out, which I don't have a problem with."

"Oh, come on, Harry," Ginny said.

Harry decided he'd rather let her have it, which is what he'd been dying to do since he first overheard her and Malfoy speaking back in November. "Why him? You feel like you've got a connection with him because you've both got family members that have died. He's not the only one. Mine are dead. My godfather's dead. Poor Neville's parents are in the loony bin at St. Mungo's. Let's not forget the fact that Ron is going through the exact same thing you are, but instead of talking to him, you feel the need to talk to Malfoy? I don't get it!"

"It's not that simple," Ginny said angrily. "Neville doesn't like to talk about his parents. Ron's got you and Hermione to talk to about all of his problems. He never talks to me. None of my brothers have-not about stuff that gets them down. As for you, you're too busy with all of your own crazy angst that the only people you listen or talk to are Ron and Hermione. I've got to reach out to somebody, so I decided to reach out to somebody who's in as much pain as I am."

"That somebody just happens to be Draco Malfoy," Harry said.

"Oh, so what if it is? He's a person too-cranky and self-centered, sure, but so are other people I know," Ginny said darkly.

"Fine, do whatever you like. I won't tell Ron, or Neville, for now. Although I hope you know that when this does come out, Neville's going to be crushed," Harry said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to go to someplace quiet while all of this steam comes out of my ears." With that, he marched away, leaving a fuming Ginny behind.

*****

Ginny didn't go anywhere near Harry for the next couple of days, although nobody really found this to be odd. Harry noticed she spent the majority of her time with either Neville or some of her other sixth-year friends.

Finally, the following Tuesday, Ginny stepped up to him as he tied his shoe on the way down to dinner. "Have you told anyone?" she asked quietly, looking around.

"No. I said I wouldn't," Harry said, finishing up with his shoe and standing up straight.

"Not even Hermione?"

"Not even Hermione," he said, frowning.

"Good," she said and took off.

Harry made his way down to the Great Hall and sat down next to Hermione, who was already started to dish chicken and roasted potatoes onto his plate. He grinned at her. "Thanks," he said and began to pour himself a glass of pumpkin juice.

"You're welcome. You've got Occlumency with Dumbledore tonight, right?" Hermione asked.

"Every Tuesday," Harry said, knowing that she knew the answer perfectly well. "Why?"

"Because he's not up there," she said, nodding toward the staff table.

Harry scanned the table and found Hermione to be right. "I wonder where he is," he murmured.

"Maybe he decided to have dinner in his office this evening," Ron suggested around a mouthful of food.

"I always got the impression that Dumbledore liked eating with us," Hermione said.

"That doesn't mean that he wants to eat with us every evening," Ron said.

"Yet he usually does," Hermione said. "Perhaps he's just running really late."

"I haven't received a note saying that training has been cancelled," Harry mused. "He just must be up to something important."

Hermione nodded. "Yes, that's probably it."

"What d'you think he's doing then?" Ron asked.

"I dunno. Giving the Order instructions?" Harry said in a low voice.

"I suppose it's not really our business where Dumbledore's at, just as long as he gives Harry his Occlumency lesson tonight," Hermione said, forking up a roasted potato and taking a bite out of it.

An hour later, Harry was ready to find out why Dumbledore never showed up to dinner. He walked up to the stone gargoyle, uttered the password, and rode the staircase up to the headmaster's door. He knocked on the door.

"Enter," called Dumbledore.

Harry walked inside Dumbledore's office only to find that the headmaster was not alone. Sitting in a chair opposite Dumbledore was a man with flat brown hair, bluish-gray eyes, and a roguishly handsome face. Harry thought he looked familiar.

"Ah, Harry, excellent. Gawain, I'd like you to meet Harry Potter. Harry, this is Gawain Greene," Dumbledore introduced.

"The Auror?" Harry said, stunned.

Greene stood up and held out his hand with a smile. His eyes raked themselves over Harry's forehead. "Nice to meet you, Potter."

Harry shook his hand. "I've read about you in the Prophet a few times."

The Auror's cheeks turned pink. "Oh, yeah. I really wish they wouldn't. There are other Aurors out there, after all-Shacklebolt, Dawlish, Frost-"

"I've met those three," Harry said.

"Yeah, I imagine you've met Shacklebolt and Frost. They were assigned here last year. I wish I had taken the job myself instead of that Crow character. I never did like him much, not that it means much now," Greene said.

"I never did like Frost very much," Harry said, causing Greene to laugh.

"Yeah, she's something. Wound a little too tight, if you ask me, but I can't really say much. My wife likes to remind me how seriously I take my job," Greene said, looking slightly guilty.

"How is Genevieve, Gawain?" Dumbledore asked. "I have not heard from her since she left Hogwarts."

"She's fine. She likes to keep herself busy by writing," Greene said.

"Yes, I remember that she was particularly interested in the written word," Dumbledore said with a smile.

Harry shot Dumbledore a quizzical look. He didn't understand why he was standing there, chitchatting with the Auror when they should be getting on with his Occlumency lesson.

"Frost, though," Greene went on, turning back to Harry. "She came in the same year your dad did, if I recall. I worked with him on an assignment once. James Potter. Seeing you in front of me reminds me of him so much, except you don't have his eyes."

"No," Harry replied. "I have my mother's eyes."

Greene nodded. "I never had the opportunity to meet Lily. I heard she was a wonderful person."

"And a valuable member of the Order," Dumbledore said.

Harry's eyes went wide in surprise as he stared at Dumbledore.

"I don't believe I mentioned why Gawain is here," Dumbledore said to Harry. "I am pleased to say that Mr. Gawain Greene has just accepted my invitation to join the Order of the Phoenix."

Harry glanced over at Greene, who was staring at Dumbledore, looking rather nonplussed. "Er-Dumbledore-"

"Don't worry, Gawain, Harry knows all about the Order. After all, we are here to stop the war and Harry is the main component to it," Dumbledore said.

"Main component?" Greene asked, giving Harry a critical look.

"Yes. It is he who will stop Lord Voldemort. That is why Alastor Moody, with the assistance of Remus Lupin, has been training Harry in the early stages of becoming an Auror," Dumbledore said.

"Moody? Really?"

"Yes," Dumbledore replied.

"Oh boy. Knowing Moody, Potter's being run through the ringer. Moody's tough," Greene said. "But you're serious, though? Potter is the one who will bring down Voldemort and end the war?"

Dumbledore nodded. "Only he can do it. All of those tips I've been giving the Ministry? They come from him."

Greene was staring at Harry in awe. "Are you a Seer?"

Harry shook his head. "I imagine Professor Trelawney wishes I was, but I'm not."

"It is his scar," Dumbledore explained. "It ties him to Voldemort. I have been training him in how use Occlumency against Voldemort, but sometimes he unintentionally gains access into Voldemort's mind and thus sees what he sees."

"Fascinating," Greene murmured, staring at Harry's scar.

Suddenly, bright emerald green flames arose in Dumbledore's fireplace. Harry, Dumbledore, and Greene all whirled around to see Kinsley Shacklebolt's head sitting in the flames.

"Dumbledore," Kinsley said, then inclined his head toward the other two occupants. "Greene. Harry."

"What is it, Kingsley?" Dumbledore asked.

Kingsley looked grim. "We got an urgent Floo from a witch in Norfolk. The Dark Mark is out tonight and hanging over the house of-" He heaved a great sigh. "-Xavier Jarrett. He, his wife, and two daughters were killed."

"Where are you at, Shacklebolt?" Greene asked, tense.

"Headquarters-Auror headquarters, that is. Frost took Murdoch and Ingles with her to investigate." He looked back up at Dumbledore. "I've already got Tonks sending word to the rest of the Order."

"Good," Dumbledore said. "We need to be alert. Voldemort's next attack, I fear, will come sooner than later. I will need to go to the Ministry within the hour. The Wizengamot will be summoned, of course, and we will have to have a meeting with Minister Bones."

"Budge over, Shacklebolt, I'm going back with you," Greene said, stepping into the fire. "Dumbledore, it's been a pleasure."

"Welcome to the Order of the Phoenix," Dumbledore returned and both Kingsley and Greene disappeared. He turned grimly to Harry. "I'm afraid I'll have to cancel for tonight. There is urgent work to be done."

"I understand," Harry said. "Er-sir? What's going to happen now?"

"We need a new Head of the Auror Department. The Aurors make nominations and then the nominees are interviewed by the Wizengamot and the Minister of Magic. The one that is deemed most worthy becomes the Head."

"I see." He watched Dumbledore bustle around for a moment. "Well-er-good night, sir, and good luck."

Dumbledore stopped what he was doing long enough to give Harry a sad smile. "Good night, Harry, and thank you."