Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: This is it. This is the final chapter. Well, okay, there's an epilogue, but that doesn't count really. Anyway, I'm going to save the rest of my notes for the end, so enjoy!

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

THE HERO WITH A SCAR

It was like coming out of a dark, heavy fog. He opened his eyes slowly and saw through blurred vision that he was in a well lit room. A room with numerous beds surrounding him-the hospital wing.

He groaned. Something was wrong with his right shoulder. Very wrong. He couldn't feel it.

He turned his head to the right, but found his vision obscured by a mass of bushy brown hair. It covered his whole shoulder, as did the face of its owner, who was fast asleep.

He groaned again and tried to move his fingers. They brushed up against something. Harry knew it must have been Hermione's thigh.

He heard snoring close by, although he could not see who it was coming from because of Hermione. Those snores were familiar, though. He knew that they had to be coming from Ron.

With a grunt, Harry tried to move himself out from underneath Hermione's sleeping form. All he accomplished, though, was waking up Hermione. She looked up. Her brown eyes stared into his.

"Harry," she breathed. Then her senses seemed to have come to her. "Oh, God, Harry!" she cried and jumped up. "You woke up!"

Ron jerked awake at the sound of Hermione's exclamation. "Wuzgoinon?" he mumbled, rubbing sleep out of his eyes.

"Harry's awake!" she cried happily.

Ron blinked. "He's awake?" He stared at Harry for a moment. "He's awake!"

"Oh, Harry, you had us so worried," Hermione said anxiously. "We didn't know if you were going to make it."

"Glasses," Harry murmured.

"What? What did you say?" she asked, leaning closer to him.

"Glasses," he said with a bit more strength.

"Oh! Right, of course," she said, fetching his glasses off of the side table and handing them to him. "You're awake!"

"I think we established that," Ron said, giving her an amused look.

"Oh, Harry, you terrified us when you went out like that. I thought-I thought that I had lost you," she said quietly, tears forming in her eyes.

Harry felt a smile creep across his face. "You'll never lose me, Hermione. I told you I'd come back to you."

She leaned over him and kissed him. "You just had to scare me first, didn't you?"

He laughed a little. "Proves how much you love me."

The door to Madam Pomfrey's office opened and Madam Pomfrey herself strode out. Hermione hopped off of Harry's bed. "He's awake," she announced.

"What?" She turned her head toward Harry, who pushed himself into a sitting position. "Oh, it's about time. Did you enjoy your week-long nap, Potter?"

He stared at her. "Week? I was out for a week?"

"You sure were," Madam Pomfrey said, coming over and examining him. "Gave us all a fright."

Harry shook his head in disbelief. "What's happened? What's happened since I fought Voldemort. Is he even…"

"He's dead," Madam Pomfrey confirmed after cringing terribly at the sound of his name. She pressed her hand against his left shoulder. "Does that hurt?"

"No," he murmured, pulling the neck of his hospital gown up so that he could get a good look at his shoulder. All that was left was a large scar.

"I can't get rid of that for you," Madam Pomfrey said, answering his unasked question.

"It's okay," he said, looking back at Ron and Hermione. "So what happened? Who's all dead?"

Hermione frowned. "Well, Professors Lupin and Snape, of course…Dennis Creevey-"

"-a fourth-year Ravenclaw bloke, two Hufflepuff third years-" Ron continued.

"-and Malcolm Baddock, a Slytherin," Hermione finished.

"That's it?" Harry asked. "No one else?"

"Well, a couple of Death Eaters bought it," Ron said. "Wormtail and Greyback."

"Yeah, I know about those two," Harry said, frowning. "What happened to the other Death Eaters.

"We captured a bunch of them," Ron told him. "They've been chucked off to Azkaban."

"What about the others that you didn't capture?" he asked.

Ron frowned. "They ran for it. Must have decided that their boss wasn't coming back for them, or that he wasn't worth it."

"Well, at least I'll have something to do when I become an Auror," Harry murmured. "Anything else happen while I was out?"

"Loads," Ron said. "Witches and wizards are celebrating left, right, and center now that Voldemort's officially dead."

"The Prophet has been calling you the 'Hero With a Scar.' Here, look," Hermione said, holding out a copy of the Daily Prophet from the day after Harry had defeated Voldemort.

YOU-KNOW-WHO DEAD

HARRY POTTER IS OUR HERO WITH A SCAR

Harry read through the article. It told all about the attack on both the Ministry of Magic and on Hogwarts, saying that while they were unsure of how You-Know-Who died, exactly, they did know that Harry had been on the top of the Astronomy Tower with him, fighting to the death.

When he set the paper down, Ron and Hermione were staring at him anxiously. "What?" he asked.

Ron looked away immediately, but Hermione said, "Well, we were sort of wondering how you did it. How did you kill Voldemort? All we saw when we got up there was Voldemort falling backwards, already dead, and a golden light surrounding you."

He frowned. He didn't really want to relive his battle with Voldemort.

Hermione must have sensed his hesitation, because she added, "It's okay if you don't want to tell us, though. I can only imagine what you went through up there. You probably just want to forget about it."

"How is the castle doing?" Harry asked. "The stairwell-"

"It's been fixed," Hermione told him. "After the battle, everyone who could went around and began to fix things. Ron and I were lucky we got up to the seventh floor in the first place, though. We had to use every secret staircase we could think of."

"We found the Phoenix up on the seventh floor," Ron said. "It was really badly burned, but Professor Flitwick and Madam Hooch went about fixing it. It's probably good as new."

"You seem to be doing very well, Potter," Madam Pomfrey said. "I'd like to monitor your progress through the afternoon.. If you're doing well, I'll let you go to the Leaving Feast tonight."

"The Leaving Feast is tonight?" Harry asked, flabbergasted.

"That's right," Madam Pomfrey said. "Now, if you'll excuse me. I told Professor McGonagall I'd inform her when you woke up."

"McGonagall?" he said when she left. "What about Dumbledore? What happened to him? Is he alright?"

Ron and Hermione frowned at each other. "Dumbledore was brought here for a day. Then he went back to his office. Madam Pomfrey didn't want to let him go, but he overruled her. He walked out of here under his own power, but he looked…weak," Hermione said.

"Yeah," Ron agreed. "I've never seen him look that weak before, not even when we all Apparated back from Greece."

"I think his duel with Voldemort took a lot out of him. We haven't seen him all week, but then again, we've been in here, with you," Hermione said.

"All day long?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "Madam Pomfrey yielded that much to us."

"Of course, we told her we'd sleep right outside the door if she didn't let us," Ron said.

Harry chuckled. "You guys are the best."

"We know," Ron said, grinning. "Luna, Ginny, and Neville have been bringing food up to us. Speaking of which," he said, checking his watch, "they're due to come up any time now."

As if hearing their names, the door to the hospital wing opened as Ginny, Neville, and Luna entered, their arms full of wrapped food from that morning's breakfast.

"Harry!" Neville cried. "You're awake!"

The three of them hurried over and plopped the food on his bed before taking spots around his bedside. "Gee, thanks for squishing the muffins," Ron said, unwrapping a rather flat blueberry one.

They ignored him.

"How are you feeling?"

"What happened up there?"

"Do you realize you've been out for a week?"

"Let him breathe," Ron said around a mouthful of muffin. He swallowed and took another bite. As he did so, Harry caught sight of a rather large ring on his finger.

"Oh God, that's right! My ring!" Harry cried.

"What?" Hermione asked, alarmed.

"My ring! Voldemort took it off my finger and sent it flying off of the rooftop! It's got to be somewhere on the grounds!" Harry said.

"Oh no," Hermione said.

"I'll go look for it," Neville said, getting up at once.

Ginny also got up. "I'll go with you," she said.

"He completely obliterated the Snitch pendant you gave me, too," Harry told Hermione.

"That's okay," she said, holding his hand. "He didn't obliterate you. That's all that matters."

The doors opened again as Madam Pomfrey escorted both Professor McGonagall and an anxious-looking Hagrid in.

"Mr. Potter!" McGonagall said, looking very relieved to see him awake. "It's good to see you up and alert."

He smiled. "Thank you, professor."

"I need to speak to Weasley and Granger alone for a minute," she said. When she saw Luna, she said, "Lovegood, you can come, too."

The three of them got up and walked out of the hospital wing with Professor McGonagall. Madam Pomfrey left for her office, leaving Hagrid alone with Harry.

Two big fat tears leaked out of Hagrid's eyes as he sat down on the bed next to him. "Yeh scared the livin' daylights out o' me, Harry. It's good ter see yeh awake," he said.

"Thanks, Hagrid," Harry said.

"Blimey, that was some night. Five students and two teachers killed. I'm goin' miss Lupin. He was a good man," Hagrid said sadly.

Harry felt a well of grief inside of him whenever he thought about Lupin. Like Sirius, he was gone. All of the Marauders were. He felt rather empty inside when he thought about it.

"Snape wasn't so bad, either," Hagrid went on. "Sure, he could be a great greasy git, but he stayed loyal to Dumbledore in the end. Poor bloke."

"Have you seen Dumbledore?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, I've bin up ter see him a few times. Just last evenin', in fact," Hagrid said.

"How's he doing?" Harry asked.

Hagrid frowned. "Not good. Not good at all. He's really tired. He'll be happy to know that yer awake, though. He was worried about yeh. I should go tell 'im yer awake right now, actually. It'd make him so happy ter know." He got up. "Yeh take care of yerself, okay, Harry? Although, now that You-Know-Who's gone, I guess I really don' have to worry about that anymore, do I?" He gave Harry a smile as Ron, Hermione, and Luna walked back in. "See yeh later tonight at the feast."

"See you," Harry said. When Ron, Hermione, and Luna sat down, he asked, "So what did McGonagall want?"

"She just requested our presence at the Leaving Feast," Hermione said.

"Yeah, she said that it's important that we're there," Ron said.

"Why?"

He shrugged. "Dunno."

Madam Pomfrey stepped back out of her office. "Okay, Potter. Let's see if we can't get you out of this infirmary any sooner. If my suspicions are correct then you should be fine."

"What are your suspicions?" Harry asked.

"Complete magical exhaustion. You dueled against You-Know-Who and won. If that doesn't sap your magical energy, I'd don't know what will. Now, let's see if you can stand up…"

*****

Two hours later, Neville and Ginny returned to the hospital wing with Harry's ring, which they found directly below the Astronomy Tower. Another hour after that, Harry was released from the hospital wing. Ginny, Neville, and Luna had all left to go pack their trunks. Ron and Hermione, meanwhile, stayed by his side while he walked slowly through the corridors with them back up to Gryffindor Tower.

There was a great cheer from all of the Gryffindors at the sight of his return. All of them got up and either shook his hand or patted him on the back. When it was Hunter, Dylan, and Ally's turns to speak to him, Ally actually gave him a hug.

"Thank you for everything you've done, Harry," she said, wiping tears from her eyes.

"Yeah," Dylan said. "I don't know how you did it, but you kicked ass! The Hero With a Scar!"

Harry chuckled and turned to Hunter. He held out his hand, but Hunter stepped forward and hugged him, too, much as Ally had done.

"Thanks, Harry. I know my dad's somewhere right now celebrating. I bet your parents are, too," he said.

Harry gave him a small smile. "Thanks, Hunter."

"We're going to miss you, Ron, and Hermione next year," Ally said. "I'm going to miss having a mentor, that's for sure." She hugged Hermione.

Ron looked down at Dylan. "You're not going to hug me, right?"

Dylan shook his head. "Nope. We're too manly for that."

"Damn straight," Ron said, ruffling his mentee's hair.

Harry and Ron went up to their dormitory to pack up their trunks; Hermione went up to hers to do the same. As Harry folded up his robes and stuffed his possessions in his trunk, he couldn't help but think about the people he had lost through the war-his parents, Sirius, and Lupin in the forefront. Both Sirius and Lupin had served as father figures for him, but now both were gone. It seemed like it was only yesterday that Lupin was winking at him as he entered the Great Hall to take one of his N.E.W.T.s.

"Bloody hell!" Ron yelped suddenly, stuffing two Weasley jumpers unceremoniously into his trunk. "The Leaving Feast just started five minutes ago!"

"What?" Harry said, whirling around. Had they been packing for that long?

"C'mon, Hermione's probably in the common room waiting for us!" Ron said, opening up the door with Harry right behind him.

Ron was right-Hermione sat in one of the oversized chairs, staring into the fire. She looked up when Harry and Ron ran into the common room. "It's about time," she said, getting up. "Let's go downstairs."

The corridors were silent as they walked downstairs. They were the only stragglers as far as Harry could tell. He looked at both Ron and Hermione, who were flanking him in a protective sort of manner. Both of them were staring resolutely ahead.

When they started to walk down the marble staircase an odd sight met them. All of the ghosts in Hogwarts were floating in two lines that curved from the staircase to the entrance of the Great Hall. Even Peeves was there, subdued by the presence of the Bloody Baron next to him.

Nearly Headless Nick smiled at him as they passed. "Harry Potter," he greeted, giving him a slight bow that caused his precariously attached head to slide forward on his neck a few centimeters.

Harry gave him a nod. He turned to enter the Great Hall with Ron and Hermione. A spectacular sight met his eyes.

Underneath the hanging scarlet and gold banners of Gryffindor House, each and every student stood beside their places at their tables and each and every student was smiling at him. The moment his foot crossed the threshold, they began to clap. Up at the staff table, Harry could see that the staff were standing, but they weren't the only ones up there.

The entire Order of the Phoenix stood with them, clapping along with the staff and students. Mad-Eye Moody was nodding in approval. Kingsley Shacklebolt was grinning. Tonks was giving him a weak smile even though she looked complete morose with her lanky brown hair. Mrs. Weasley was crying, but smiling just the same. Fred and George were whistling, while Bill and Charlie were cheering.

Beside him, Ron and Hermione were clapping, too.

"Go on up there," Hermione told him over the clapping.

He started forward, amazed by such a show. When he reached the staff table, he noticed that Amelia Bones stood next to Professor McGonagall, smiling brightly. The only one who seemed to be missing from it all was Dumbledore.

Professor McGonagall waved her arms for silence and the clapping died away. She turned to Madam Bones and gave a slight bow, which the Minister returned.

Madam Bones turned to Harry. "Harry Potter, it is my honor and pleasure to stand before you today. A great honor indeed. This war has taken the lives of many good witches and wizards, yet you survived after many attempts on your life. You survived and saved us all. You survived, battled against He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and won. The wizarding world owes you a great debt of gratitude, Mr. Potter, that we cannot possibly ever pay. Because of your actions, we are at peace. As a thank you, Mr. Potter, it is my pleasure as Minister of Magic to bestow upon you the Order of Merlin, First class."

Gawain Greene stepped up beside her, holding a leather case. She opened it up and took out a large, heavy golden medal. Harry, completely taken aback by all of this, instinctually inclined his head as she slipped the medal over his head. She held out her hand, which he shook.

"Thank you, Harry, thank you."

The Hall erupted in applause again. Professor McGonagall stood up and held her hands up to silence them.

"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry would also like to honor Mr. Potter for his accomplishments," she said. "Therefore, it is our great pleasure to give Mr. Potter a second Award for Special Services to the School-another gold one, in fact. You'll forever be remembered in this school, Mr. Potter."

"Thank you," he murmured, dazed.

Gawain Greene stepped forward. "Potter, I hear it is your dearest ambition to become an Auror," he said.

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"But I also heard that you've been offered a spot on the National Quidditch Team to play as Seeker," he said.

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"Well, after talking to Alastor Moody about the sort of training you've been receiving here, I think it's only fair to let you skip the first year of Auror training. After what you've done, Potter, you've proven you don't need it. Therefore, whenever you're ready, you are welcome to join our second-year trainees. In the meantime, feel free to play some Quidditch."

Harry laughed. "Okay."

Everyone was clapping again. Professor McGonagall leaned forward and whispered to him, "Professor Dumbledore would like to speak to you when the feast is over."

He nodded. "Yes, ma'am."

McGonagall straightened back up. "Now," she said, "let the celebration begin!"

Harry rushed forward and sat back down between Ron and Hermione, his Order of Merlin medal gleaming. Both of them were beaming at him.

"I'm so proud of you, Harry!" Hermione said, kissing his cheek.

Mrs. Weasley came forward. "Oh, Harry!" she said, hugging him from behind. "I'm so happy you're alright!"

"Thanks, Mrs. Weasley," he said.

"You know you're welcome to come live with us at the Burrow while you're getting on your feet and finding a place for yourself, right?" she asked.

"Er-I do now," he said, laughing. "Thanks."

"Oh, you're certainly welcome, dear. It's the least I can do."

About a half-hour later, Harry excused himself to go speak to Dumbledore. The whole Hall was chatting and eating, not paying him the least bit of attention, which he was happy about.

As he climbed the marble staircase, he heard voices at the top of it.

"…still with Longbottom," he heard Malfoy saying.

"Yes, of course I am," said Ginny's voice. "Why wouldn't I be?"

There was a long pause. "But…what about what I did? I didn't become a Death Eater!"

"No, you didn't, and I'm very proud of you, Draco," Ginny said.

"But I did that…I did that all for you!" he said. "Doesn't that count for something?"

"It does," Ginny said. "But don't you understand? I care about Neville too much to jeopardize my relationship with him for…for…"

"Me," Malfoy finished for her. "Dream about the bad boy but bring the good boy home to meet your parents, right?"

"Draco…I'm sorry. You're not the person I want," Ginny said. "But I'd like to remain friends."

There was a sigh. "I suppose I can be your friend, Ginny. Er-thank you for being so understanding this year. You were the only one who seemed to get what I was going through."

"You're welcome, Draco."

"Well, good night."

"Good night."

Malfoy walked through the archway and headed down the marble stairs. When he saw Harry staring up at him, he paused.

"Potter."

"Malfoy."

They looked at each other for a moment. Malfoy shook his head. "There's no way in hell."

"None," Harry agreed.

They walked past each other.

Harry continued on his way up to Professor Dumbledore's office. When he knocked on the door, he waited a moment, but there was no answer. Concerned, Harry opened the door.

"Sir?"

"Back here, Harry," he heard someone faintly say. Harry followed the voice to the very back of Dumbledore's office, where Dumbledore was lying on a handsome bed in an alcove. "Ah, it is good to see you alive and well," Dumbledore said.

"You, too, sir," Harry said.

Dumbledore gave a raspy laugh that ended in a cough. "Not so well," he said, smiling. "I wanted to congratulate you on your defeat of Lord Voldemort."

"Thank you, sir," Harry said.

"Now, tell me how you did it, Harry, because you and I both know that you did not use the Killing Curse on him," Dumbledore said.

Harry frowned but told the headmaster the story. It was not something he really wanted to do, but rather something he felt compelled to do seeing as the man had helped him develop the skills he had used to bring Voldemort to his end.

When Harry was finished, Dumbledore nodded. "Of course, that mirror is probably nothing more than little glass shards on the roof now. You did very well, Harry. Better than I even expected. I am very proud of you and everything that you've accomplished here." He coughed again. "Now I must share something with you, Harry. "I'm dying."

"No," Harry whispered frantically. "You can't die. Hogwarts needs you."

He smiled. "I believe that I will be leaving Hogwarts in good hands. Minerva is a very formidable witch. She is wise and knows how to handle all of the politicking that goes on here."

"Sir-"

"It is my time, Harry. My fight with Voldemort weakened me greatly. I have been holding on just so that I could speak to you one last time. There is some information that I want you to know before I pass, though.

"Voldemort's son, Seth, has been placed with a family who will love and cherish him, despite who his father is. I have found a home for him."

"Where? With who?"

"Your future boss," Dumbledore replied. "Gawain Greene and his wife Genevieve have been desiring to have a child for years. Unfortunately, Genevieve is barren and so they have been looking to adopt. When I offered them the chance to raise Seth as their own, they accepted."

"So he's living with a good family now," Harry said, smiling. "I'm happy for him."

"I thought you might be. I also thought you might want to keep a close eye on him. Bellatrix Lestrange is still out there and may very well go searching for her son-Voldemort's son-and attempt to steal him back. Gawain may be an Auror and a good one at that, but it's still good to have two pairs of eyes watching for something, isn't it?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said. "I'll make sure no Death Eater lays their hands on him."

Dumbledore nodded. "Good. I am glad to hear that." He sighed deeply and his eyelids drooped. "Now, Harry, it is time to say…good-bye."

Harry shook his head. "No. Please, sir, stay with me."

Dumbledore reached out and laid his hand over Harry's. "You are the greatest student I have ever had the pleasure of watching grow up, Harry. I will miss you."

Tears stung in Harry's eyes. "Sir," he began, but Dumbledore closed his eyes. His head almost instantaneously lolled to the side and his hand slipped off of Harry's. As Harry stared at him, Fawkes began to sing mournfully from his perch. It was at that moment that Harry knew the greatest headmaster that Hogwarts had ever seen was gone.

*****

Fawkes had flown away in the middle of the night, watched only by Harry, who was still awake, mourning. All of his mentors-Sirius, Lupin, and Dumbledore-were gone. He would never see them again, at least, not in this life.

Breakfast was a somber affair the next morning as the school learned that Dumbledore had passed away. Few people talked and nobody bothered Harry even when they learned that he was the last person to see the headmaster alive.

The governors of the school instantaneously declared Professor McGonagall the new headmistress. Harry was pleased for her; it was what Dumbledore had wanted.

After breakfast, Harry, Ron, and Hermione strolled through the castle. They entered classrooms that they had never been in and went to places they had once enjoyed. They said their good-byes to Moaning Myrtle and the Fat Lady, who had been restored after the Death Eaters had attacked her.

Eventually they found themselves in the dungeons. Harry pulled open a door and peered inside. He gasped.

"What?" Hermione asked. "What is it?"

Inside was a large mirror-a mirror that Harry hadn't seen in six years.

"The Mirror of Erised," he whispered. "It's still here."

They entered the room and crossed over to it.

"Well, d'you reckon we should take a look in it?" Ron asked.

"You first," Harry said, stepped out of his way.

Ron looked into the mirror. A slow smile spread across his face. "I'm wearing Chudley Cannons Quidditch robes," he said, "and I've got myself a family."

Hermione smiled. "Let me have a turn," she said. She stepped in front of the mirror and peered in it. "Oh!"

"What?" Harry asked.

"Well, I've got a good career," she said, staring at her reflection, "and a husband and children."

"Who's the husband?" Harry asked.

She grinned at him. "Who do you think?"

He smiled.

"Come on, Harry, it's your turn," she said.

Harry stepped in front of the mirror, wondering what he would see. When he stepped close enough, he saw himself grinning back at him. He had his arm wrapped around Hermione, who was holding an infant. Ron was standing beside him, grinning.

"What d'you see, Harry?" Ron asked.

"Us," Harry said. "Although Hermione's holding a baby."

Hermione walked over beside him and leaned against him. "So those are our most desperate desires," she said, grinning.

"I guess so," Harry said, smiling back at her.

*****

Soon it was time to return to Hogsmeade Station. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville, and Luna all hauled their trunks and pets outside where the carriages were waiting.

"Whoa!" Ron said suddenly, dropping his trunk painfully on Harry's foot.

"What?" Harry asked, eyes streaming.

"Those!" Ron said, pointing at the skeletal black horses that were drawing the carriages. "Are those it? Are those the thestrals?"

Ginny was staring at them, too. "My, they do look sort of frightening, don't they?"

"Yeah, but they're alright," Harry said, remembering how six of them took him and the others to the Ministry of Magic.

"Still," Ron said. "Blimey."

They got in the carriages and headed toward the train station. Harry stared at the castle, a pit of sorrow growing in his stomach knowing that he wouldn't be returning the following September. He was done.

Far too soon, they were aboard the Hogwarts Express and speeding back to London. Ron spoke of getting a summer job with his brothers and awaiting his N.E.W.T. results. Hermione had the intentions of going home and living with them until she had enough money to buy a flat of her own.

"Are you mad?" Harry said. "The moment I get a flat, I want you living with me! Ron can come live with us, too."

"Oh, no," Ron said. "I'd rather get a flat of my own instead of hanging around you two snogging all the time, or worse." They laughed.

"Well, at least come and live with us until you've got yourself a permanent job," Harry said. "I promise not to snog Hermione too often in your presence." They laughed again.

"Alright, alright. Fine," Ron said. "But Mum'll flip if we don't spend a week living at the Burrow."

"Then we'll go there first. That way Hermione has time to get everything she wants from her parents' house," Harry said.

"Okay, then. It's settled," Ron said happily.

Before Harry knew it, they were changing back into Muggle clothing and coming into Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. They pulled their trunks down off of the rack above. Harry popped an owl treat between the bars of Hedwig's cage before pulling her down too. They exited the train.

Ginny, Neville, and Luna went through the barrier first, leaving Harry, Ron, and Hermione to stare at it.

"Well, we did it," Ron said. "We survived Hogwarts."

"Yes," Hermione said, "and beyond that barrier is our future."

Harry stepped up to it and looked back at them with a smile on his face. "Well," he said, "let's not just stand here. Let's go seize it."

And together they crossed the barrier back into the Muggle world, embracing whatever it was that would come. Even if that meant that Harry would forever be known as the Hero With a Scar.