Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: My God, it's July 1st. This is the month of Harry Potter. Really, it is. I was in a bookstore yesterday and you wouldn't believe all of the Harry Potter merchandise they had out. I really wanted to buy that Gryffindor tie for no reason, too. Anyway, thanks again to everyone who has been reviewing. I love you guys. Really, I do. Big thanks, of course, to Charmaine, my wonderful beta, who reads through these chapters faster than the speed of light and then goes back through and nitpicks every little thing. I seriously do appreciate that. Now, on with the chapter!

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

THE HOGSMEADE MEETING

Never in his life had Harry felt such immense pain. Whatever he had been spying on, Voldemort wasn't pleased. It seemed as though this were more important to him than losing his own son. Then again, Harry had only felt Voldemort's anger over losing his son; he wasn't inside his mind when it happened. The torrent of his anger had spread from wherever he was hiding and hit Harry in full force. This, however, was different. Much different. Harry had been inside his mind, watching everything, when Voldemort felt his presence and forced him out. The only problem was, Harry was having trouble remembering why.

He groaned. Off in the distance, he heard murmurs and then felt the surface he was laying on sink slightly. Still distantly, he heard someone call, "Harry?"

He struggled, trying to get to the voice. "Harry?" it asked again. It sounded closer now. "Harry?" The voice sounded urgent. "Harry?" There was something familiar about that voice. Harry tried to focus in even more. "Harry?" Yes, he was sure he knew that voice.

Slowly, he opened his eyes. Hovering just above him was Hermione's face, her hair bushier than ever and her eyes very red. "Harry!" she cried, immediately handing over his glasses.

"Hermione?" he said in a raspy voice, taking his glasses from her and putting them on. "Where am I?"

"The hospital wing," she replied, sounding relieved. "Ron! Ron, wake up! He's awake!"

Ron, who was snoring on the next bed, jerked awake and gazed at him. "Harry!"

"What…what happened?" he asked.

"You were screaming about your scar-woke the lot of us up in the dormitory. Then you blacked out," Ron said.

Just then, the door to Madam Pomfrey's office opened and out stepped the nurse herself, followed by Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall.

"Potter, good, you're awake," McGonagall said.

Madam Pomfrey bustled over and began to look him over, causing Hermione to jump back. Dumbledore, meanwhile, pulled up a chair and sat on it. "When you're done, Poppy, I'd like to speak to Harry-alone."

Madam Pomfrey looked up sharply at Ron and Hermione. "You heard. Go on, now."

"They may stay," Dumbledore said. "I imagine everything Harry will tell me, he'll just tell them as soon as they're alone. Let us spare Harry from repeating himself." He turned to Professor McGonagall. "I do appreciate you calling me down here. I will alert you if need be."

McGonagall nodded. "I'll be up for the next hour."

After Professor McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey left, Dumbledore turned to Harry. "I am guessing that Voldemort is very angry. Would you please tell me what you saw, Harry."

He frowned. "I-I'm not quite sure I remember everything, sir. I remember three Death Eaters begging Voldemort for mercy because of their delay and then I remember them introducing an old man. His name was…" He trailed off, realizing that he couldn't remember the name. "It was…" He racked his brain. They had said it numerous times, but he couldn't remember it for the life of him. "Er-"

"It's okay, Harry. Take your time," Dumbledore said soothingly.

"I can't remember, sir. I can't. I think he might have been Arabic. Very old. I dunno. I can't remember his name," Harry said.

"That doesn't matter," Dumbledore said. "The point is, Voldemort was meeting someone."

"Yes. They were discussing…something. I-" He thought hard, getting frustrated at his inability to remember what he had seen. "I think they were talking about…curses, maybe?"

"Curses? Interesting," Dumbledore said, sitting back. "Can you remember anything else, Harry?"

Harry thought hard, but came up blank. "No, sir."

Dumbledore nodded. "Very well." He got up to leave.

"Sir?"

"Yes, Harry?"

"How come I can't remember? Usually, when I'm in Voldemort's head, I can remember everything as if it actually happened to me. This time around it's like trying to remember a dream. D'you think that's all this was? A dream?" he asked.

"No, Harry, this was definitely not a dream. The pain you felt was real. I believe what happened, and why it hurt so much, was that Voldemort modified your memory. Whatever he's up to, he doesn't want anyone to know about it," Dumbledore told him.

"Modified? Like used a memory charm?" Harry asked.

"No. Much worse. Using the connection the two of you share, I believe he reached into your mind and, oh, shall we say blotted ink on your memory?"

"Did it cause any damage, aside from making Harry lose the majority of what he saw?" Hermione asked from Harry's bedside.

"I don't know. Harry, what is the last thing you remember before your vision?" Dumbledore asked him.

"I remember…a dream. About eggs."

"Eggs?" Ron said.

"Er-yeah."

Ron laughed. "If you're hungry, I can go down to the kitchens."

"I'm not hungry," Harry said.

"What type of dragon did you face during the Triwizard Tournament?" Hermione asked him, obviously trying to test him.

"A Hungarian Horntail," he replied.

"And how many meetings with the D.A. have you had this year?" she asked.

"Two. One in October and one in November. We covered Silencing and Blasting. Isn't the next one next week?" he asked.

She smiled and nodded. "I'm happy you remember that."

"I don't think he tampered with my other memories," Harry said. "Only what I saw is fuzzy. Everything else about my life I can remember, like my mother's maiden name and how old I was when Aunt Marge first brought her dog, Ripper, over to Privet Drive."

Dumbledore didn't look surprised. "It's just as I expected. He only took away what your saw in the vision. He doesn't care about the rest."

"So he's going to be okay?" Hermione asked anxiously.

"I believe so, yes. You're not feeling any other complications from your encounter, are you, Harry?" Dumbledore asked.

He shook his head. "I feel fine now."

"Good. I imagine Madam Pomfrey will want to keep you overnight. Now, as it is after four in the morning, I would suggest for the two of you," he said, turning to Ron and Hermione, "to go back to your dormitories and get some sleep."

"Yes, sir," said Ron.

"Of course, Professor," Hermione said.

"I myself must head off to bed too. Good night to all of you."

"Good night, sir," all three of them chimed.

When Professor Dumbledore left them, Hermione took Harry's hand in hers. "He's right about us needing to get some sleep. We can talk in the morning, provided that Madam Pomfrey releases you."

"I'm sure she will. She has no reason to keep me here," he said, giving her hand a squeeze.

"We'll drop by tomorrow morning," she said, giving him a smile. "You certainly gave us a scare tonight, Harry."

"No kidding," Ron said from his place on the other bed.

"Sorry about that," Harry said sheepishly.

"Oh, it doesn't matter, as long as you're safe," Hermione said, placing her other hand on his cheek. "Sleep well."

"You too."

She leaned forward and gave him a soft, gentle kiss on the lips that was by far the greatest comfort he had had that evening. "Good night," she whispered.

"'Night."

"See you in the morning," Ron said as both he and Hermione headed out the door. "Don't have any more crazy dreams!"

*****

Madam Pomfrey did, in fact, release Harry the next morning in time for breakfast. He sat down next to Hermione, as always, and grabbed the plate of bacon that was waiting.

"Oh, good, Madam Pomfrey let you out," Hermione said, smiling and passing him the basket of toast.

"Yeah, there was no point of her keeping me. I feel fine," Harry said. "So what happened after I passed out?"

"Blimey, Neville, Seamus, Dean, and I really didn't know what to do at first," Ron said, swallowing his bacon. "Dean wondered if you had died, but the rest of us knew better. Neville up and left us, going after help, we reckoned. Turned out he pounded on the girls' dormitory door until somebody came and answered. Then he demanded that they wake up Hermione."

"I had this poor little first-year girl tapping me and telling me some seventh year boy needed to talk to me. I thought it was you," Hermione said. "But then I saw Neville and the scared look he had on his face and the first thing out of my mouth was 'What's wrong with Harry?'"

"Hermione comes sprinting in our dorm with Neville at her heels and tells us that we need to get you down into the common room while also snapping for someone to go get Professor McGonagall. So Neville, the poor bloke, took off again," Ron said. "Seamus and I were just about to try to carry you, but Hermione conjured up a stretcher and we were able to carry you that way."

"Well, really, it was common sense to use one," Hermione said.

Ron rolled his eyes. "When Neville got back with Professor McGonagall, she decided the best thing for you was to go to the hospital wing. She told Neville, Seamus, and Dean to go back to bed, but let Hermione and me come. I tell you, Harry, we were scared. You were pale and your scar was a vivid red."

"McGonagall went and got Dumbledore after she had seen the three of us to the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey wasn't exactly sure what she could do for you, though. Ron told her everything he could, but he obviously didn't know what you had seen or faced," Hermione said, her face somber.

"McGonagall and Dumbledore got back pretty quick. He told Madam Pomfrey that the only thing any of us could do was wait it until you woke up. We waited about an hour and then Dumbledore asked Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall to join him in Madam Pomfrey's office, leaving us alone with you," Ron said. "I sort of fell asleep waiting for you to wake up."

"Which you eventually did after another hour," Hermione finished. "You can't remember what you saw?"

Harry shook his head. "I wish I could. Voldemort must be up to something big, doing what he did to me. He definitely didn't want anyone to know about his plans involving that man, whoever he is and whatever those plans are."

"Do you think perhaps Legilimency would help?" Hermione asked.

Ron was staring at her as though she had lost her mind. "Hermione, it's Occlumency that protects Harry from You-Know-Who entering his mind."

She rolled her eyes. "I know that," she said. "I was referring to Dumbledore. He's a Legilimens. Do you think he could look into your mind and find what Voldemort has wiped away? I mean, it could really still be there, only it's being repressed."

"You think I have a repressed memory?" Harry said.

"It's possible, isn't it?

"I dunno," Harry said.

"You should talk to Dumbledore about it the next time you have a lesson with him," Hermione suggested.

"Yeah, I think I will," Harry said, wondering whether or not Hermione was right. If she was, and his memory was only being repressed, then he could uncover everything he had seen that night, everything Voldemort and the old man had said. That way, the could help Dumbledore and the Order prepare for whatever Voldemort was preparing to throw at the wizarding world, because Harry knew, whatever it was, it was big.

*****

Aside from his next Occlumency lesson, there were other things occupying Harry's mind as well. That weekend was a Hogsmeade weekend and Harry couldn't wait to spend time with Hermione.

Then Ron reminded him of something else.

"The Yule Ball is next Friday!" Ron exclaimed. "Lucky I'm dating Lavender. I don't need to ask someone to be my date."

"Yeah." Harry felt the same way. He didn't need to ask anyone either, which was such a blessing. Besides, there wasn't anyone he wanted to go with other than Hermione.

Harry couldn't help but remember the previous year when he had attended the resurrected Yule Ball with Hermione. He had felt completely comfortable being with her. They were able to chat and she even gave Harry a small dancing lesson. It was a shame that he didn't really know how to dance all that well.

He expressed this thought to Ron, who just laughed and said, "Who cares? Hermione certainly doesn't."

Figuring that Ron was right, he let his guilt ebb somewhat.

The weekend arrived with a flourish of snow falling lightly to the already snow-covered ground. Harry watched it fall idly from the enchanted ceiling while eating his breakfast. He had his traveling cloak next to him so that he couldn't have to go back up to the common room after breakfast to get it. Hermione had done the same. Ron, however, was nowhere to be seen.

"I wonder where Ron's at. He never misses a meal," Harry said.

Hermione giggled. "I suspect he's getting ready for his date."

"Doing what? If he puts gel in his hair or does something to pretty himself up, I'm jinxing him," Harry said.

Hermione nearly spat out her pumpkin juice in laughter. When she recovered, she said, "I am so sorry Ron wasn't down here to hear that."

"So what d'you want to do today while Ron makes kissy faces at Lavender in Madam Puddifoot's?" Harry asked.

"I was hoping to do some Christmas shopping," Hermione said in between giggles. "This is our last Hogsmeade trip before the holiday. After that, the only one we'll have left is the weekend that Valentine's Day falls on. We're not even getting one in the third term."

"Anything else after the shopping?" Harry asked.

"Some butterbeer sounds nice," Hermione said.

"Okay. I can go for that."

Ron finally walked in. His face hadn't been prettied up, nor was his hair gelled back. He looked completely normal, except for the wide grin he had on his face. "'Morning," he said jovially when he sat down, grabbing the first thing he saw on the table to eat. "Bit early, isn't it?"

"It's nearly nine o'clock," Hermione said. "Where have you been?"

"Upstairs," Ron said. "I cut myself shaving a few times this morning and had to heal the cuts to the best of my ability."

Hermione examined his face. "It doesn't appear to be a half-bad job."

"Thanks, I think," Ron said. "Lavender and I are going to meet in the common room after breakfast and get our cloaks before coming back downstairs," he went on. "She wants to do a bit of Christmas shopping while we're there. I just hope she doesn't expect me to pay for whatever it is she wants to buy. About all I can afford are four butterbeers and maybe a Christmas present for the two of you."

"Ron, really, you don't-" Harry began.

"Yeah, I do," Ron said. "You two buy me something every year. I'm getting the both of you something."

Harry sighed. "Fine." He didn't want to argue with him today. Besides, he knew that Ron had his pride.

Breakfast ended quickly. Before Harry knew it, he and Hermione were standing in the entrance hall, waiting for Filch to arrive to check their names off so that they could go to Hogsmeade. He was looking forward to spending the whole day with Hermione. Since they had returned to Hogwarts, they had only been completely alone once and that was on Hermione's birthday when they had dinner in the Room of Requirement.

He glanced over at her and smiled. She looked up at him and smiled back.

Just then, Harry saw Luna come down the stairs, cloak in hand. When she saw him, he smiled at her and waved, causing her to come over and join them.

"'Morning, Luna," Harry said. "Getting ready for Hogsmeade, I take it."

"Yes," she said vaguely.

"Something wrong, Luna?" Hermione asked her.

"You two are going to the Yule Ball together again," Luna said.

Harry eyed Hermione nervously, so Hermione answered her. "That's right," she said. "As friends. It's just plain easier than trying to find a date when you don't really fancy anyone."

"It is easier," Luna agreed. "Is Ronald going with anyone?"

"Er-"

As if hearing his name being called, Ron descended the marble staircase with Lavender, talking. Then, at the bottom of the stairs, Lavender leaned in and kissed Ron, causing him to smirk.

"Oh, I see," Luna said quietly from next to Harry.

Harry looked down at the Ravenclaw. Her eyes were as big as tennis balls and held an impeccable sadness in them, taking Harry aback. Sure, he knew that Luna was interested in his friend, but not to such a degree.

Hermione was giving Luna a look of pity. "I'm sorry, Luna."

"There's no need. Ronald doesn't like me, I know that," she said.

"He does consider you a friend," Harry said, wishing he could comfort her more.

"Does he?" Luna asked, a hint of hope in her voice.

"Yeah, of course he does." He glanced at Hermione, who glanced back at him. He could see that she was thinking the exact same thing. She nodded, giving him all he needed. "Er-Luna? How would you like to spend the day in Hogsmeade with Hermione and me? We'll be going Christmas shopping and then, a bit later, we're going to get some butterbeers at the Three Broomsticks."

Luna's wide eyes only got wider. "I thought you two would much rather spend the day alone."

"Why?" Hermione asked.

"You two don't seem to ever get to spend quality time together," Luna said.

Harry quickly put a mask of bewilderment on his face. "Why do we even need quality time together? We hang out every day."

"You two are close," Luna said. "Yet you spend the majority of your time in Ronald's company. I just figured that the two of you wouldn't mind spending the day together by yourselves."

Harry shrugged. "Trust me, whether you joined us or not, we'd do the exact same thing. But I think it would be nicer if you tagged along. We could use the company, right, Hermione?"

She nodded. "Absolutely. I don't think either Harry or I are used to it only being the two of us."

Luna seemed to be considering this. "Alright. I'm very happy you asked me to be your Ronald for the day."

Harry laughed. "You don't have to be Ron. You can be Luna."

"Here comes Filch," Hermione murmured.

Sure enough, Argus Filch, the caretaker, was weaving his way through the students and toward the front doors. "Line up, line up!" he ordered, his long list in his one hand and a quill in the other. "Come on, I don't have all day!"

Harry, Hermione, and Luna jumped into line behind a group of chattering third years. Harry heard the words "Shrieking Shack" and "breaking in," something that made him clear his throat and caused the third years to jump. He glared down at them. Each of the third years shrunk a little and gave each other nervous looks, then turned away. Harry distinctly heard one of them say, "Never mind." Satisfied with himself, he turned back to Hermione and Luna.

"Which store d'you want to go to first?"

"I was thinking Honeydukes to see what sort of holiday sweets they have out. Maybe you can find something there for Ron, Harry, since he loves candy so much," Hermione said.

"I've gotten Ronald something for Christmas," Luna said.

"What did you get him?" Harry asked.

She shook her head. "It's a surprise for him."

"Oh." He could only imagine what type of surprise Luna had in store for Ron.

They reached the front doors, where Filch checked off their names, muttering, "Potter, Granger, Lovegood…"

The three of them stepped out into the snow and trudged across the grounds, wrapping their cloaks more firmly around them. It seemed to take forever for them to pass underneath the winged boar gates and even longer for them to enter the village. Harry was frozen. When they finally entered Honeydukes, Harry couldn't have been more grateful.

Harry looked at all of the displays, considering. He was just about to pick up an entire box of licorice wands, then thought better of it. Instead, a different idea came to him.

"Did you find anything?" Hermione asked him after purchasing some mint fudge for the three of them to snack on.

"No, but don't worry, I know what I'm going to get him."

"Where is it at?"

"Not here, in Hogsmeade," Harry said. "I'll have to send Hedwig to Diagon Alley for it."

"I hope she's up to it, in this weather," Hermione said. "Speaking of which, are you ready to head back out in it?"

"Yeah." He looked around. "Where's Luna?"

"Over there," Hermione said, gesturing over by the counter, where Luna was investigating the festive Christmas Tree Toffee, which had jelly beans in them to represent the ornaments.

When she rejoined them, she asked, "Where shall we go next?"

"Anywhere you want," Harry said. "Now that I've got my idea for Ron, all I've got to worry about is sending Hedwig on her way."

"Well, I need to buy a gift for you, Harry, so why don't you move along to the Three Broomsticks. Luna, would you like to come with me?" Hermione asked.

"Okay," Luna replied.

"We'll meet you there," Hermione said, wrapping her cloak tightly around her again.

Harry stayed in Honeydukes long enough until he figured that Hermione and Luna were out of sight. Then, covering his face with his arm, he stepped out and started to make his way to the Three Broomsticks. He could barely see anything, so it didn't come as a shock to him when he walked right into somebody.

"Sorry," he said, pulling his arm away from his face and squinted at who he ran into. "Tonks?"

"Harry? That is you, isn't it?" Tonks said. Her hair was a raspberry that day, flowing down to her shoulders.

"Yeah. What are you doing in Hogsmeade?" he asked.

"I'm meeting someone at the Three Broomsticks," she said.

"Order business?"

"Maybe."

"I'm heading to the Three Broomsticks myself," Harry said. "I'll walk with you."

"Where are Ron and Hermione?" she asked.

"Ron's currently on a date and Hermione's shopping for a Christmas present for me," Harry told her. "She'll be along shortly.

"How's work been?" he asked her.

"Bad. We Aurors feel like we can't win here, even with that amazing victory we had over You-Know-Who in Westbury-on-Severn. That was you who got Dumbledore to tip us off, wasn't it?" she said.

"Yeah," Harry murmured, thinking about the riddle.

"When we got that tip-off, Gawain pounced like a tiger to lead the team," Tonks said.

"Gawain?"

"Greene. He was in the Prophet," Tonks reminded him. "That embarrassed him, I tell you. He doesn't want to be marked as a hero. The only thing he wants is to end this war. He's angry about how little progress we've been making."

"You've been trying your best, though. Voldemort strikes without warning," Harry said, causing Tonks to jump.

"You're just as bad as Remus," she said, shivering, "saying his name like that."

"It's just a name," Harry murmured.

"Yeah, but it's his name and he scares the flipping daylights out of not only me, but the rest of the wizarding world save a select few," Tonks said.

"That's the reason why I say his name," Harry said. "I don't want to be scared of him."

"You're a lot braver than I am, but I suppose that's why you're in Gryffindor," Tonks said as they arrived at the Three Broomsticks. She held open the door. "After you."

"Thanks," Harry said, stepping inside. The pub was crowded with Hogwarts students and other patrons. He said his good-byes to Tonks, who headed off to a corner. Harry then began to search for a table. He found one towards the bar and sat down.

About fifteen minutes later, Hermione and Luna showed up, carrying bags. "Daddy will love this for Christmas," Luna was saying to Hermione.

"I'm sure he will. It certainly is an-er-interesting gift. Harry! There you are!" she said, spotting Harry and joining him.

"Good, you're here," he said. "Now I can order the butterbeer." He left quickly and ordered three butterbeers from Madam Rosmerta. When he returned, he asked, "Did you have fun shopping?"

"Oh, it was fine," Hermione replied. "We both found something."

"Good." At that moment, the door opened and Ron and Lavender stepped inside. He snorted. "Good luck finding a table, mate."

Hermione turned around to see what Harry was talking about when Ron looked over in their direction. He waved. Harry, Hermione, and Luna waved back. With a quick murmur to Lavender, they changed directions and came to their table. Harry noticed that Luna's eyes fell to the table.

"Fancy meeting you lot here," he said, staring at Luna, who continued to not look at him. "Hi, Luna."

"Hello, Ronald," she said, still keeping her eyes averted.

"I didn't know you'd be joining Harry and Hermione today," he said.

"We invited her to tag along," Hermione said. "She and I just finished shopping together while Harry's been reserving a table for us."

"Really?" Ron said, sitting down. Lavender sat down, too, but it looked as though it were the last thing she wanted to do. "Why didn't you go, Harry?"

"Hermione told me not to-said something about shopping for me," he said.

"Oh."

"So now that we're all together, I can tell you who I ran into outside," Harry said.

"Who?"

"Tonks."

"Tonks!" Ron exclaimed, earning a "shush" from Hermione. "What's she going in Hogsmeade?"

"Is she part of the team of Aurors that's supposed to watch over us?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "She said she was meeting someone."

"Maybe she's meeting a mole," Luna said vaguely, looking back up.

"Well, she's back there in the corner, so all I suppose we have to do is look," Harry said.

All five of them craned their necks to look through the crowd for Tonks's wild hair. A patron shifted out of the way and they found her, but another patron was blocking the view of who she was sitting with. She was laughing at something that was said to her.

"Can't-see-who," Ron grunted, leaning back in his chair to get a better look.

Suddenly, the patron blocking their view got up to leave, revealing who Tonks was sitting with. Ron fell backward.

Lavender gave a shrill giggle. "Professor Lupin!" she said gleefully as Ron got up and sat down again. "It's Professor Lupin that this Tonks woman is meeting!"

Harry, Ron, and Hermione all glanced at each other and Harry could tell they were thinking the same thing. It was Order business. Granted, what they were witnessing seemed to be rather light-hearted, but Harry knew that Lupin and Tonks were friends, so it didn't surprise him. Dumbledore probably had sent Lupin to meet Tonks to discuss any information he had gathered recently and it was Tonks's job to inform the rest of the Order.

"Do you think Professor Lupin's on a date?" Lavender asked, still giggling.

"No," said Harry and Hermione together.

"What do you think, Ron?" Lavender asked.

"I-er-I dunno. I don't really care, either," Ron said.

"Professor Lupin wouldn't have a date in public for all of his students to see," Luna said, finishing off her butterbeer.

Hermione gave her an approving glance. "I agree with Luna."

Ron nearly fell off his chair again. Lavender scowled, her face turning rather ugly. "You do?" she said, glaring at Hermione.

"Yes," Hermione said. "It's true. Lupin would never do something so private for all of his students to see. It would embarrass him."

Lavender glanced darkly over at Lupin and Tonks. "Maybe the Ministry sent her to keep track of his condition."

Hermione gave an exasperated sigh. "Of course they wouldn't. The Ministry doesn't track werewolves and even if they did, they wouldn't have to keep an eye out on Professor Lupin. Dumbledore trusts him. So," she said, her voice sounded extremely irritated, "for the last time, let's drop that subject."

Lavender looked very sour indeed. "Come on, Ron, let's go," she said, her eyes shooting daggers at Hermione. "I think I'd rather have tea than a butterbeer."

"Er-okay," Ron said, getting up. "See you later."

The conversation with Lavender over what Professor Lupin and Tonks were talking about seemed to have put Hermione in a rather annoyed mood. The three of them sipped their butterbeers in silence until Luna finally said, "I don't like her."

"Who, Lavender?" Harry asked.

"Yes. She likes to see the worst in people, when it should be the other way around. If you don't try to see the best in people, how are you to ever keep your friends?" Luna said.

Harry couldn't help but notice Hermione's eyes soften before she spoke. "Accept the faults of others, recognize your differences, and learn to love them just the same."

Harry grinned. "How very poetic. But tell me, do you expect me to love Malfoy?"

That brought a smile to her face. "You could try, but I don't think it would get you anywhere."

Harry drained his butterbeer. "I don't know about you two, but I think I'm ready to brave the cold again."

"Me, too," Hermione said. "Besides, don't you have to go back to the owlery and send Hedwig on her way?"

"Yeah," Harry replied. "Come on, let's go."

As they got up, Harry glanced back over at the table Lupin and Tonks were sitting at. They were now in deep conversation, but Lupin did glance over to catch Harry watching them. He gave a small nod, which Harry returned.

Though curious he was about what the two Order members were talking about, he recognized the fact that it wasn't any of his business, so he let it slide…for now.