Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One by Hermiones Twin
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Destiny of One

Hermiones Twin

Author's Note: Well, if the characters weren't OOC before, they're certainly OOC in this chapter. You've been warned.

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

THE HUNT FOR IMMORTALITY

He didn't bother to explain himself when he finally quit screaming. Instead, he simply got up, pulled on a robe, and left the dormitory. Down the spiral staircase and across the common room, he opened the portrait hole and had one leg through it when Ron came rushing down the stairs.

"Harry, what happened?" he asked.

"Voldemort," was all he said before pulling the rest of himself out of the hole and walking away, leaving Ron behind.

He was halfway down to Dumbledore's office when he ran across Mrs. Norris, who blinked and mewed as he walked past her. Suddenly, from around the corner, Filch came hobbling into view. When he saw Harry, he scowled.

"Out of bed are we, Potter?" he said, marching over and grabbing Harry by the elbow. "It's off to see your Head of House for you. Maybe she'll give you a week's worth of detention!"

"Yes, maybe she'll let me be hung in your office by my ankles," Harry said scathingly, jerking his elbow out of Filch's grip. "I'm allowed to be out of bed after curfew. I'm Head Boy."

"This is very late for even the Head Boy to be out," Filch said, sneering. "What sort of trouble are you up to? Are you about to go throw dungbombs about?"

"If you searched me right now you'd find I don't have any dungbombs on me. I need to see Professor Dumbledore," Harry said.

"Why?" Filch demanded.

"It's none of your business really," Harry said, walking in the opposite direction.

"Oh no you don't, Potter! If you walk around the school at night it most certainly is my business!" Filch said, grabbing Harry's arm. "You're coming with me."

Harry tried to pull his arm free but was unsuccessful. Filch had it in a vice grip. "It's urgent that I see Dumbledore!" he said angrily.

"I'm sure it is," Filch said, dragging Harry down the corridor in the wrong direction. "But you'll have to wait until morning."

"No! It'll be too late by then," Harry said, trying to pull his arm free again.

"Your problem can wait until the morning," Filch repeated.

"You maniac, let me go!"

"No!"

Harry had no other choice. Improvising his training from Moody and Lupin, Harry grabbed Filch's arm and twisted it before stomping on his right foot. Filch let go of him and howled in pain. Mrs. Norris hissed.

Freed, Harry ran for it, knowing that he would get in trouble for attacking Filch but not caring. It was absolutely important that he got to Dumbledore. The more time that he wasted, the more time the Death Eaters had to lay waste to Belfast.

He skidded to a halt in front of the gargoyle. "Pepper Imp," he breathed and then ran up the revolving staircase when the gargoyle hopped out of the way. He pounded on the door.

Dumbledore opened it, still in his robes. "Come in," he said, eyeing Harry's disheveled look and stepping out of the way.

Harry walked inside and without preamble said, "Belfast is being or is about to be attacked."

Dumbledore nodded and walked over to his desk. When he sat down, he took out a quill, ink, and a piece of parchment before writing a note on it. Then, he rolled it up and gave it to Fawkes. "If you'd be so kind as to take this to Gawain," Dumbledore said to the phoenix. With a burst of flames, Fawkes was gone.

He sat back down. "Now, tell me what happened."

Harry nodded. "I was in Voldemort's head and Lucius Malfoy came and told him that they had found someone. He went downstairs and Mr. Malfoy and Rastaban Lestrange dragged a man-Addams-into see him. Voldemort tortured him and asked him where the Inferi were, but Addams wouldn't answer, so he extracted the information from him using Legilimency. Addams had reversed the curse and sent them back into the ground. Voldemort was furious and asked him why he had done it and Addams told him that he didn't want half-breeds and creatures purifying the wizarding world for him. Then he called Voldemort a half-blood and Voldemort did…something to him."

"What was that?" Dumbledore asked.

"He…performed this spell that cut Addams-deep gouges. There was blood everywhere. Sectumsempra, I think he said."

"Sectumsempra," Dumbledore repeated. "That is very Dark magic."

"I've never heard of it," Harry said.

"No, you wouldn't have. Your father and his friends weren't the only ones to create spells during their time at Hogwarts," Dumbledore said. "I'm afraid Voldemort learned that one off of another rather gifted student who was once his follower."

"Who?" Harry asked.

Dumbledore frowned. "Professor Snape."

"Snape? Snape made that awful spell?" Harry asked.

"Professor Snape," Dumbledore admonished lightly. "Yes, he is the creator of that particular spell, just as your father and his friends created Langlock and Levicorpus. Just like Voldemort created Morsmordre to mark his followers."

"Why would Professor Snape create something like that?" Harry asked.

"I assume he was looking for something to use against his enemies, especially Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, Sirius Black, and James Potter. I am sure you are aware of the fact that Professor Snape has desired the Defense Against the Dark Arts post since he arrived?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"When Severus was younger, he was very interested in the Dark Arts. His interests led him into the service of Lord Voldemort. Eventually, however, he repented and joined our side," Dumbledore said.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"He was sorry for all that he had done. Let us leave it at that," Dumbledore said.

Harry frowned. "Yes, sir."

"Was there anything else to your vision?"

"Yes, sir. After Voldemort used Sectumsempra, he killed Addams. Then he ordered Mr. Malfoy to take the Death Eaters to Belfast and attack it immediately. He also said he was leaving Mr. Malfoy in charge because he was going on a trip," Harry told him.

"To where?" Dumbledore asked.

"To Greece," Harry said. "Sir, what could Voldemort possibly want in Greece?"

Dumbledore sat for a long time, thinking. Harry didn't say anything for fear of making him lose his concentration. Finally, Dumbledore muttered, "Perhaps it's not a myth after all."

"Sir?" Harry asked, unable to control himself any longer.

"Tell me, Harry, have you ever heard of ambrosia?" Dumbledore asked.

"Er-no," Harry replied.

"It is supposed to be a mythological plant found in Greece. According to that myth, if one were to eat the plant, they would become immortal," Dumbledore explained. "You can see how appealing a myth such as that would be to Voldemort."

Harry nodded. "Does Voldemort think it's real?"

"He might. Or he might be traveling to Greece to find out whether or not it is a myth, however, I doubt he would waste that much time searching for something if he did not think he could obtain it," Dumbledore said.

"So what will happen if he goes to Greece and finds this ambrosia?" Harry asked.

"He becomes immortal," Dumbledore said simply. "Unfortunately, ambrosia has the added bonus of healing someone as well as phoenix tears would. Eating ambrosia will make a person immortal. Eating more ambrosia while injured will cure them. It may even save them from instant death."

"So…he'll be invincible?" Harry asked, fearing the answer.

"Essentially, if he can eat ambrosia before he is killed then, yes, he will not die," Dumbledore told him, looking grim.

"Then he has to be stopped!" Harry shouted. "We've got to go to Greece and stop him! We're wasting time!"

"I agree with you on everything accept for the 'we' part. You shall remain here. I shall go to Greece and destroy the ambrosia," Dumbledore said.

"What?" Harry cried. "You mean I can't come with you?"

"No. It is important that you remain here," Dumbledore said.

"Why?"

"Because you are protected here," he replied.

"But I'm the one who's supposed to kill Voldemort! How am I supposed to do that if I'm stuck here? This is my chance!" Harry said vehemently.

Dumbledore stood up. "Do you believe that you are truly prepared to face Lord Voldemort?" he yelled, startling Harry. "Do you feel that there is nothing more any of us can teach you?"

Harry gulped. "No, sir."

Dumbledore frowned. "That is why I do not wish for you to accompany me," he said, his voice returning to normal. "You need more time to prepare yourself for what is to come."

Harry nodded mutely. He really didn't know what to say. For all that Dumbledore had said about him having faith in Harry's abilities, he didn't believe that Harry was ready yet. Had Dumbledore been lying to him in order to get Harry to continue?

"You are a remarkable young man," Dumbledore said as if he were reading Harry's mind, which, Harry mused, he probably was. "You can do more than the majority of your peers, but you still need a little polishing. If it was not for the fact that I'll probably meet Voldemort on this mission, I'd ask you to join me."

"But because you believe you'll run into Voldemort-"

"I am asking you to remain here, at Hogwarts," Dumbledore finished for him. "Please."

Harry sighed. "When will you leave?" he asked.

"By dawn," Dumbledore said. "Don't you worry about it. I believe you have an abundance of homework to do over the holiday."

"Yes, sir," Harry murmured. He didn't like the idea of Dumbledore going alone.

He got up. "I'll leave you to prepare, then, sir," he said.

Dumbledore nodded. "Thank you, Harry. Remember to clear your mind before going back to bed. I will see you when I return."

"Yes, sir," Harry said and left.

No, he wasn't comfortable with Dumbledore going alone at all.

*****

When he returned to the common room, he found Ron and Hermione sitting in their favorite chairs, waiting.

"Who woke you up?" Harry asked Hermione, sitting down beside her.

"Ron did. He bewitched a paper airplane to fly up to my dorm and hit me," she replied. "Kind of annoying, but quite clever nonetheless."

"I have my moments," Ron said smugly. "Anyway, what happened? What did you see?"

Harry told them everything, from Addams's murder to Voldemort ordering Mr. Malfoy to attack Belfast and then saying that he was leaving for Greece. Ron and Hermione looked rather bewildered by this last bit of information.

"Greece? What in the name of Merlin would he want there?" Ron asked.

"Ambrosia," Harry replied.

"But that's a myth," Hermione said. "There's no such thing."

"Dumbledore reckons that Voldemort's found proof that it isn't," Harry said. "In any case, Voldemort's going to try to find it and Dumbledore's going to try to stop him."

"Dumbledore's going?" Ron asked. "This is serious."

"Dumbledore thinks so. He won't even let me go with him," Harry said.

"You asked him if you could go with him?" Ron asked.

"Yeah, but he said I couldn't. Said I need to stay here, where I'm protected," Harry said bitterly.

Ron and Hermione glanced over at each other anxiously.

"I mean, how am I supposed to fight Voldemort if Dumbledore won't let me near him?" Harry burst out savagely. "He says I 'need a little more polishing.' I'm polished enough that I can take on Moody. Perhaps I ought to challenge Dumbledore to a duel. Maybe then he'll see that I can do pretty well in a fight."

"Er-Harry?"

"Maybe I ought to go to Greece anyway and prove to him that I'm not a little kid anymore, that I'm not going to sit down and let the grown-ups do my fighting for me," Harry said, not hearing Ron. "Besides, he might need the help anyway. Who knows how much ambrosia is in Greece?"

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed, brining him out of his rant.

"What?" he asked.

"You're not thinking about disobeying Dumbledore, are you?" she asked, looking worried.

"Yeah, I am," Harry said. "I'm sick of sitting by while others fight and die in this war when it's my job to get rid of Voldemort. It's not right! I don't want others to do my dirty work for me. It's time for me to get out there and fight."

Ron was looking at him as though he were mad. Hermione, however, was giving him a shrewd look. "I understand how you must feel, Harry," she said slowly, "but you really shouldn't disobey Dumbledore. He's got your best interests at heart."

"Yeah, but he's going on a mission in a foreign country all by himself. He should have backup, or something," Harry said reasonably.

Hermione frowned. "I'm not thrilled about the idea of Dumbledore going someplace by himself, but he is a very formidable wizard. Look at how he defeated Grindelwald."

"Yeah, but he was younger then," Ron said. "He's a lot older now. Probably slower, too. Harry's right, he could get seriously injured."

"What, you want to go on the hunt, too?" Hermione asked.

"I want to help Dumbledore and I want to stop V-Voldemort," Ron said. "It's not like we'd be missing any school to do so-we're on holiday!"

"Wait…who said you two were coming?" Harry said. "This is my job, not yours."

This, if anything, seemed to convince Hermione. "Come off it, Harry," she said angrily. "If you're going, we're going. Since it looks like you can't be convinced otherwise, Ron and I should go pack some things."

"When are we leaving?" Ron asked.

Harry frowned. This was not going the way he had thought it would. "Dumbledore said he'll be gone by dawn. Unfortunately, we're expected to stay over the holiday. We signed up for it, didn't we?"

"Oh, I can take care of that," Hermione said. "I'll tell Professor McGonagall that Giles just returned with an urgent message from my parents that my father's terribly ill and that my mother wants me home right away."

"Okay, that takes care of you, but what about us?" Ron asked.

"You're coming with me for support. After all, I went home with you when your dad died," she said.

"D'you think she'll buy it?" Harry asked. "Dumbledore's sure to tell her that he's leaving. He'll leave her in charge. I wouldn't put it past him to tell her that we aren't to leave Hogwarts."

"Good point," Hermione murmured.

"We can sneak out of the castle underneath Harry's invisibility cloak and take the train back to London," Ron suggested.

"No, there are too many people," Hermione said. "We'd be caught."

"The secret passage," Harry murmured.

"What?"

"The secret passage leading into Hogsmeade," Harry said. "The one on the third floor that leads to Honeydukes. Once we're there, we can put on the invisibility cloak, sneak out, and Apparate to Greece."

"Apparate to Greece!" Ron said with a note of panic into his voice. "But-"

"We passed our Apparition test. We're allowed," Harry said.

"It's a good idea," Hermione said, "but we couldn't possibly Apparate all the way to Greece from Hogsmeade. We haven't done it enough times to be able to travel that far. We'd have to do it in intervals-go from one location to the next."

"Then we've got to plan which locations we're going to Apparate to," Harry said.

"We can stop at my house first," Hermione said. "If we leave Monday, they'll be at work and never know."

"Monday's too late," Harry said. "We need to go in the morning."

She bit her lip. "They'll be home. It's the weekend. I don't think I could possibly explain to my parents why we've just dropped by. I mean, they'd be delighted if I told them we were staying for the week, but if I told them we weren't staying…"

"We don't have to go in," Harry said. "We'll just Apparate there, get reoriented, and Apparate to a new location."

"Which is?" Ron asked.

"Hermione, you've been to Paris, right?" Harry asked.

"Yes."

"So you can help us when we get there," Harry said.

"Where are we going after that?" Ron asked.

Harry shook his head. "We'll worry about that in Paris."

"We should get to bed," Hermione said. "We need to rest up if we're going to go through with this."

Harry nodded. Without another word to each other, they headed up the stairs to their dorms and went to bed.

*****

Things went according to plan the following morning. All those returning home for a week rode the carriages into Hogsmeade where the train awaited them. Harry, Ron, and Hermione, meanwhile, stayed later than usual at breakfast. Hermione told them to swipe any pieces of food that they could get away with, so when they returned to Gryffindor Tower, their pockets were sagging.

As few people left during the Easter holiday, there were a number of people in the common room, mainly fifth and seventh years, all of whom were working through their vast amounts of homework.

"What if we don't return in time to complete ours?" Hermione said anxiously to Harry. "I don't want to fail!"

"Don't worry about it. It's only Saturday. If everything goes okay, we'll be back in time," he told her.

"What about McGonagall, though?" Ron asked. "Won't she notice that we're missing?"

Harry frowned. He hadn't thought about McGonagall. "It doesn't matter," he said, shaking his head. "I'm committed to going."

Hermione gave Ron a nervous look. "We could get in serious trouble for this."

"Look, if you two want to back out, go ahead, but I'm not. I'm going to help Dumbledore," Harry said fiercely, walking over to the door leading up to the boys' dormitories. "I'm going upstairs to get my stuff and the cloak. If you're coming, meet me down in the common room in five minutes."

Ron followed him up the stairs. "You know we're coming, mate. We wouldn't let you down."

They grabbed their things, shrunk them, and headed back down to the common room. Hermione joined them a few minutes later. Then, as casually as they could, they headed out the portrait hole and down the corridor.

When they reached the humped-back witch on the third floor, Harry took out his wand and tapped it, saying, "Dissendium." When the hump split open, the three of them squeezed inside and fell down into the tunnel leading out of Hogwarts.

They walked quickly through the secret passage way and reached the cellar of Honeydukes. Harry peeked out and, seeing that the coast was clear, ushered both Ron and Hermione out of the passageway. Once inside the cellar, Harry took out his invisibility cloak and draped it over them.

"Alright, let's go," Harry whispered as they of them started up the stairs.

Honeydukes didn't have nearly as many people in it as it usually did whenever there was a Hogsmeade weekend. The only people in the shop, aside from the owners, were a wizard family. The children where hopping around, looking at all of the different candy.

"Oooh, Mummy, can I have a Peppermint Toad?" asked the youngest one, a boy who looked no older than five.

"Yes, alright," his mother said in an exasperated voice as Harry, Ron, and Hermione walked past her.

They waited patiently for the family to pay for their purchases and leave so that they could exit without attracting any attention to themselves.

"Down High Street," Harry murmured. "Down to the stile where we met Sirius that one time."

They walked slowly, hunched over, so that no one could see their feet. After a five minute walk, they reached the stile. Harry glanced around. When he was satisfied, he pulled the cloak off of them.

"Okay, our first Apparition point is Hermione's backyard, got it?" Harry said. They nodded. "We'll deal with Mr. and Mrs. Granger if we have to. On the count of three now." He closed his eyes and imagined the backyard of the Granger residence. Focusing on it, he said, "One-two-three!"

He twisted his body to the right and with a loud CRACK he felt himself being compressed on all sides. It was as though he were flying through a very narrow tube. He couldn't breathe…

Finally, his feet landed on solid ground. With two distinct CRACKs next to him, Ron and Hermione Apparated beside him. He looked up to see the back of Hermione's house.

"Hide!" Hermione hissed, pulling both Harry and Ron behind a tool shed at the very back of her yard. "Mum and Dad probably heard that."

Sure enough, when Harry peeked around the corner of the shed, he saw Mr. Granger staring out the back window, his eyebrows knit. Then, with a shrug, he walked away.

"Everyone's here in one piece, right?" Harry asked.

Ron felt around his face, followed by his arms and chest. "Yeah, I'm good."

"Shall we continue on to Paris or shall we rest a moment?" Hermione asked, sneaking a peek at her house. "Everything looks good right now."

"I say we go for it now and rest in Paris," Harry said.

"But where are we Apparating to in Paris?" Ron asked.

Hermione thought for a moment. "There's this place near Le Sacré-Cœur in Montmartre that has a train to get up and down the hill. Next to it is a long series of steps. Close to that is an alley. If we concentrate really hard on the alley near Le Sacré-Cœur, then we should make it."

"An alley near Le Sacré-Cœur, that's all we've got to go on?" Ron asked.

"If we really focus on it. We don't have to know what the location looks like, we just need to focus on where we want to end up. If something goes wrong, though," Hermione said. "Meet on the stairs."

Ron looked like he had many misgivings about this. "If you say so," he muttered and closed his eyes.

"Are you ready?" Hermione asked.

Harry muttered the words over and over to himself, concentrating as hard as he could. "The alley near Le Sacré-Cœur…the alley near Le Sacré-Cœur…"

"One-two-three!" Hermione said.

Harry twisted to the right and Disapparated. Once again he felt like he was flying through a tube. He hated the feeling; he'd much rather fly.

Suddenly, his feet hit solid pavement in an alley between two hazy-looking buildings. Hermione was there, as was Ron, who was looking amazed that he even made it.

"Welcome to Paris," Hermione murmured.

Above him, Harry suddenly heard someone say, "Qu'est-ce c'est?"

Looking up, the three of them saw a man poke his head over a balcony and peer down at them.

"Excusez-nous," Hermione said to him. "Ce n'est pas la rue qui nous venons." She grabbed Harry and Ron by the shirt sleeves. "Move," she said, pulling them out of the alley.

They stepped out onto a brightly lit street. Up on a hill, Harry saw a large basilica. Tourists were milling around all over the place, snapping pictures.

"Now what?" Ron asked as they began to walk down the street in the opposite direction of the basilica.

"We need to figure out where to Apparate to next," Hermione said.

"I wish we could find another way," Harry muttered. "Apparating still feels really weird to me. I feel like I could throw up every time I do it."

Hermione gave him a sympathetic look. "I suppose we could try to find a Floo network, or see if we can't get our hands on a Portkey."

"We could always create one," Ron suggested.

"That's illegal, Ron," Hermione said. "We're going to be in enough trouble as it is. We don't need to make an illegal Portkey in another country. If only I could remember precisely where the French Ministry of Magic is. I remember that it's in an abandoned warehouse near the Gare de l'Est, toward the northern end of it."

"Hermione, we don't want to be tracked," Harry said. "If we walked into their ministry, that's exactly what would happen."

Hermione sighed. "Good point. I'm sorry, Harry, but it seems our only option is to Apparate."

"Then where to?" he asked.

Hermione thought for a moment. "How about Florence?"

"Italy?" Ron said, gaping. "We're going to pop on over to Italy?"

"Well, it seems reasonable, don't you think?" Hermione said. "We just made the trip from the suburbs of London to Paris."

"Have you ever been to Florence?" Ron asked.

"Well, no…"

"Then how are we going to know where to Apparate to?" Ron asked.

Hermione frowned. "Fine. Then let's try to make it all the way to Mount Olympus."

"Mount Olympus?" Harry said. "Why there?"

"Because that's where the legends say that ambrosia is. It's the food of the Olympian gods!" Hermione said. "I think if we all concentrate on being at the northern base of the mountain, we'll be fine."

"But Olympus has to be a huge mountain," Ron said. "The northern base could be miles long."

"It's the best we can do," Hermione said. "If we get separated, then we'll have to figure out a way to communicate."

"Perhaps if we hung on to each other, we'd do better," Harry said.

Hermione thought for a moment. "That's a brilliant idea, Harry." She turned down another alleyway, Harry and Ron in tow. She grabbed both Harry and Ron's hands. "If we hang onto each other, only one of us truly has to focus on where we're going. That person will drag the other two with them."

"You should do the focusing," Ron said. "I'd get us lost."

Harry nodded. "Yeah, you do it."

"Very well," Hermione said and Harry could tell that she was focusing in on where she wanted to go. "On the count of three then. One-two-three!"

Harry twisted himself to the right along with Ron and Hermione. For the third time that day, he felt himself sliding through a tube, only this time, it seemed to take much longer. He needed to breathe, but he couldn't. He felt as though his lungs were about to collapse from the pressure.

Then, just when he thought he could take no more, they landed at the foot of a gigantic mountain, much larger than any Harry had ever seen.

"Blimey," Ron whispered.

Hermione sat down, breathing heavily. Hauling Harry and Ron with her seemed to have taken a lot out of her. Harry sat down next to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I just need to rest," she replied. "I feel like I can't even stand anymore."

"Don't worry, you can rest. You did great," he said, kissing her forehead.

She rested her head on his shoulder. "I'm never doing that again."

"What? Apparating?"

"No. Hauling two people with me while I Apparate," she said. "I felt as though I were about to suffocate."

"Yeah, me too," Harry said, giving her shoulder a squeeze.

"I don't think I like Apparating all that much," Ron said, sitting down on Hermione's other side. "After we get back, I think I'll just stick to brooms and Floo powder."

Hermione let out a little laugh. "You just need more practice. Once you feel truly comfortable doing it, it's nothing."

"I wish that day would come soon," Ron said.

They rested for a good fifteen minutes. Around that time, Hermione finally looked up at the mountain. "I wonder where Dumbledore is," she said.

"More importantly, how are we going to get to where he is?" Ron asked.

"We can try Apparating one more time," Harry murmured. "Just focus on Dumbledore and see if you can Apparate next to him."

"It's worth a shot," Hermione said. "Just be careful not to Apparate into Dumbledore."

Ron cringed. "Right."

They got up. "Ready?" Harry asked.

Ron nodded. "On three. One-two-three!"

Harry turned right, thinking hard about landing right near Dumbledore, wherever he was. The ride through the tube was very short. The next thing he knew, he was standing ten feet away from Dumbledore, who had his wand out and pointed directly at him.

"Harry!" he exclaimed, lowering his wand just as Ron and Hermione Apparated near them. "And Ron and Hermione, too."

"Professor," Harry greeted, shifting to balance better on the sloping mountainside.

Dumbledore frowned at them. "I believe I told you not to leave Hogwarts."

"Respectfully, sir, I couldn't let you do this on your own," Harry said. "As for Ron and Hermione, they wouldn't let me go alone either."

Dumbledore's frown deepened. "I would have hoped that I could trust you more to listen to me, Harry. I am sorry to see that this is not the case. Not only that, but you have also brought your friends into this danger. What happens now will most likely end in something truly regrettable."

"This is my fight, sir. I have to be here," Harry said.

"I know that you really believe that, but have you ever considered that perhaps this is not the proper time?" Dumbledore asked. "Your destiny can wait."

"But I can't," Harry said. "I'm sick of this prophesy. I want to help!"

Dumbledore frowned again. "Very well, as you and your friends are here, you may help. Keep your wands out at all times, though. We don't know what's lurking out there."

They began to travel up the mountain. It was slow work, even with the spells and charms Dumbledore showed them to help them climb the rocky surface. Four hours later, though, they reached the summit and looked down.

"Ah, the majesty of the mountain," Dumbledore said, taking in a deep breath.

"Sir? What exactly are we looking for?" Harry asked.

"A rather large plant with pink flowers," Dumbledore answered. "It should be so magical that Muggles cannot see it."

"What do we do when we find one, sir?" Ron asked.

"You have to pull the plant out, roots and all, and burn it until it's nothing but ash," Dumbledore said. "Only then should the plant be destroyed."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione took the east side of the mountaintop while Dumbledore took the west. They searched around the snow capped top until Ron suddenly yelled, "Hey, I think I found some!"

They rushed down the mountain a little to where a spot of pink lay amongst the white. Hermione bent down and examined it. Harry, meanwhile, kept watch.

"Yes," Hermione said, "I think this is it. Good job, Ron! Now come on, help me dig this up."

Harry and Ron came over and began to dig with their hands, but the ground was frozen and the rocks didn't want to budge.

"Oh, move over," Hermione said, pointing her wand at the plant. "Excavate!"

The rock and dirt surrounding the plant moved until there was a hole revealing the plants roots. Harry and Ron seized the plant and tugged it free, making sure that none of the roots were left behind. Then, Harry got out his wand, tapped the plant, and muttered, "Incendio." Together, they watched the ambrosia burn to ash.

They did this to four more ambrosia plants they came across until suddenly Harry heard a loud BOOM from the other side of the mountain. Without even sparing a glance back to see the terrified faces of Ron and Hermione, he scrambled toward the noise.

Harry ran as quickly as he could, tripping over small, jagged rocks and jumping over the larger ones. As he closed in, he heard grunts and the sounds of spells hitting rock.

He came to a halt behind a large boulder and looked down as Ron and Hermione caught up to him. Below, Dumbledore was locked in a fierce duel against the one who Harry had kept expecting to jump out from behind a rock and attack him-Lord Voldemort.

Harry pointed his wand down at Voldemort and took careful aim while the Dark Lord and Dumbledore dueled. There were flashes of light flying everywhere.

"Stupefy!" Harry shouted, but was a moment too late. Voldemort took a step forward, causing the spell to shoot by directly behind him.

His red eyes flashed up at them in fury. He pointed his wand up at Harry, Ron, and Hermione. "Avada Kedavra!" he yelled before continuing his duel with Dumbledore.

Harry seized Ron and Hermione and pulled them down behind the boulder just as the green light blasted the boulder apart. Harry grabbed Hermione's arm and half-dragged her toward another boulder for shelter with Ron running right after them.

"What do we do?" Ron squeaked as another BOOM shook the rocks around them.

"We've got to finish the job," Harry said. "We've got to destroy all of the ambrosia before Voldemort gets his hands on it."

Hermione stuck out her wand. "Oh, I hope this works," she muttered. "Accio ambrosia!"

Suddenly, three plants, roots and all, shot toward them from opposite directions. Harry, Ron, and Hermione each caught on and set them on fire.

"Come on, come on, burn," Harry growled.

"D'you think that's all?" Ron asked.

"I should hope so," Harry said, jumping up and waving his arms recklessly. "Dumbledore! We did it!"

"Apparate to Hogsmeade immediately!" Dumbledore yelled back, dodging a particularly nasty spell sent by Voldemort. Harry couldn't help but notice how tired he looked though.

He took one last shot at his nemesis. Pointing his wand at Voldemort's feet, he cried, "Reducto!"

The rocks beneath Voldemort's feet exploded into little tiny pieces. He lost his footing-

"Apparate now!" Harry bellowed at Ron and Hermione, running headlong toward Dumbledore. Behind him, he heard two distinct CRACKs before he grabbed Dumbledore's wrist. "Time to go, sir," he said, focusing hard on Hogsmeade as Voldemort propped himself up, his wand pointed directly at Harry.

"Avada Kedavra!" Voldemort yelled, but it was too late. Harry had already twisted himself to the right. Both he and Dumbledore Disapparated, heading back to Hogsmeade.