Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

I have reason to celebrate.

Thanks to each and every one of you, I am most pleased to announce that this story has reached the highest review count I've ever received, and I am most grateful to each and every one of you for helping me reach that mark. I'm not one to celebrate an obscure number like 368 reviews, however, so if and when this story reaches 500 I'll make sure to put a few exclamation points in. ::wink::

Thank you, everyone, for your words of encouragement. They mean more to me than you will ever know.

Read on!

---------------

Chapter 13: The Last and Most Noble Son of Black

"Now all of you take care of yourselves and don't go doing anything reckless!" yelled Molly as the train pulled away from the station

"We won't Mum!" yelled Ron dismissively as they rounded a corner and the platform disappeared from sight. "Little does she know," he sighed, closing the window and sitting down next to Luna.

"Sometimes I wonder what everyone will say when the truth comes out," mused Harry chuckling.

"They'll probably try and award you the Order of Merlin, I reckon," smiled Neville.

"I'd turn it down," frowned Harry. "At this point, I don't want anything the Ministry could give me."

"I don't blame you," said Hermione. "Terrible leadership."

"You should become Minister, Hermione," smiled Ginny. "I bet you could do it."

"Well...I don't know about that," said Hermione hesitantly. "Although there've been female ministers in the past...the public is generally very biased against them."

"Doesn't the Wizemgamot elect the Minister?" asked Luna absently.

"Erm...yes, but I mean -"

"Now darling," smiled Harry, looking at her. "Think about all the house-elf rights you could establish if you were Minister."

"Oh, and what would you do?" asked Hermione skeptically. "Ride my coattails of power?"

"I'm sure I could do that without your coattails if I had the desire," laughed Harry, pinching her sides lightly. "If you were Minister though...I don't know, maybe I could be an auror then...at least I'd be working for someone competent."

"Thanks," laughed Hermione.

The train ride was, for the most part, uneventful. There was some confusion when the trolley lady came along and some of the chocolate frogs Ron had received as his Christmas present started hopping about and got mixed in with the others, but Hermione sorted it all out without much trouble.

The sun was starting to wane, casting a soft glow on the sky. Harry and Hermione were the only ones awake in their compartment, quietly watching the passing countryside while Hermione rested in Harry's arms.

"There it is again," sighed Harry as a feeling of foreboding washed over him.

"Hmm?" asked Hermione.

"The last time we were on this train going to Hogwarts, it was right before the Hat sang its song," said Harry. "I felt like something...big...was going to happen during that train ride. And now I'm getting that feeling again."

"Harry, I hardly think that you have the Sight, if that's what you're getting at," said Hermione, arching an eyebrow at him.

"I don't think so either," he said. "I just get the feeling that we're on the edge of something really big right now."

"Well...there is the war and all," said Hermione. "Maybe it has to do with that."

"Maybe," sighed Harry. "Can I tell you something?"

"Anything," nodded Hermione.

"I'm scared," said Harry.

"Of?" asked Hermione

"For," corrected Harry. "I'm scared for your parents."

"...I know," sighed Hermione. "I am too."

"Thankfully they don't know anything relevant, so he can't torture them for information...but if Voldemort does have them..."

"He can use them to bargain with if he needs to," frowned Hermione. "It gives him an advantage, and it could potentially mean they die."

"You talk about it with such sincerity," said Harry curiously. "Almost like it doesn't bother you."

"It bothers me," said Hermione very matter-of-factly. "But if they're not dead, then they have a chance...and when I'm with you it takes my mind off of everything else."

"I love you," muttered Harry after a moment, squeezing her tight to him.

"Thank you," smiled Hermione. "I'll never get tired of hearing that."

"And I'll never get tired of saying it."

=====

"I would like to speak with the six of you in my office," said McGonagal as Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Neville, and Ginny entered the castle.

"Are we in trouble already?" asked Ron lightheartedly.

"Unfortunately this is no laughing matter," replied the headmistress, walking off without another word.

There was silence among the seven of them until they reached McGonagal's office, at which point the headmistress sat down behind her desk and sighed heavily.

"You are not going to like what I have to say," she said bluntly.

"What is it?" asked Ginny.

"This," replied McGonagal, sliding a envelope forward on her desk. Wordlessly, Harry walked forward and retrieved it.

"Harry?" asked Hermione as he opened the envelope and looked at its contents.

"That bloody son of a bitch..." muttered Harry in anger.

"What is it?" asked Ron.

Harry silently handed them the contents, four photographs depicting the abduction of Hermione's parents by four death eaters led by Severus Snape.

"Those were taken by a muggle," said McGonagal, as the teens looked over them. "Fortunately we were able to procure them and relieve the poor man of his memory of the event."

"I don't understand this," said Hermione. "I mean, I thought you said he helped you, Harry."

"He did," grunted Harry, now gazing into the fire. "We'd all be in a lot of trouble right now if Voldemort had found out about my knowledge of his horcruxes at the Hollow, but I still can't forgive him for this."

"Is there a reason he's not wearing a mask?" asked Luna.

"What?" asked Harry, turning to her.

"Well, look," she said, holding one of the photos up. "In all of these pictures, Snape is the only death eater not wearing a mask."

"Come to think of it," said Ron. "Has he ever worn one?"

"I don't believe so," replied McGonagal. "I believe it is his way of showing the Dark Lord his loyalty."

"Makes sense," sighed Harry, sitting down. "So, if I may ask, why was this so urgent?"

"Because Severus only gets involved in really important affairs," said McGonagal.

"Well, I hardly think that the abduction of Hermione Granger's parents, the best friend of Harry Potter could be considered trivial," frowned Hermione.

"I didn't mean it like that, Miss Granger," said McGonagal apologetically. "What I meant was, I doubt this was a simple abduction if Snape was involved."

"Sometimes it just seems like everything keeps piling up," sighed Harry, sitting down. "This whole stone bracelet thing for starters, then Hermione's parents go missing, on top of that we still have no idea who the initials R.A.B. belong to -"

"R.A.B.?" interrupted the portrait of Phineas Nigellus. "Why, those are the initials of my great-great-grandson, Regulus Augustus Black."

Harry slowed turned on the spot and faced the portrait.

"What did you say?" he asked softly.

"I said that the initials R.A.B. are those of my great-great-grandson," said Phineas, ruffled. "He was such a bright young lad, it really was a pity he got involved in all that death eater business..."

Harry wasn't paying attention to what Phineas was saying anymore, he was too wrapped up trying to remember what Sirius had told him.

"No, he was murdered by Voldemort. Or on Voldemort's orders, more likely, I doubt Regulus was ever important enough to be killed by Voldemort in person. From what I found out after he died, he got in so far, then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out. Well, you don't just hand in your resignation to Voldemort. It's a lifetime of service or death..."

"My god..." whispered Harry. Quickly, he spun around to face the others. "Do you remember back before fifth year...well fourth year for you, Gin, but do you remember when we were cleaning Sirius' house?"

"Of course," shrugged Ron. "Around the time of your famous blow up."

Harry opened his mouth to speak but halted for a moment and blushed slightly.

"Yeah...around that time," he muttered. "Anyway...when we were cleaning...do any of you remember finding that bloody heavy locket that none of us could open?"

"Now that you mention it," said Hermione, looking up. "Yes...I do...but it wasn't adorned with the great Slytherin 'S', or anything of the sort."

"It's a start," said Harry, turning and heading for the door.

"Where do you think you're going, Mister Potter?" asked McGonagal.

"To see if I can catch the train back home," he replied.

"I will not have you going alone," said McGonagal firmly.

"Ron and Hermione will be with me," Harry pointed out. "No, you three stay here, I won't have you getting involved in this outside of Hogwarts," he said, heading off Neville, Luna, and Ginny. "Besides, that house belongs to me. Who else is going to be able to get inside?"

McGonagal pursed her lips in disapproval but nodded slightly.

"I will alert the Order immediately," she said, frowning. "Hurry, the train is slated to depart in ten minutes."

"Yes, ma'am," smiled Harry with enthusiasm he hadn't felt in a long time.

"So how do we plan on getting there?" asked Hermione once they were safely, albeit breathlessly seated on the train.

"I think the Knight Bus will be able to accommodate," replied Harry.

"Shortest trip to Hogwarts ever," laughed Ron dryly. "Do you really think that R.A.B. is Sirius' brother?"

"It certainly fits," said Hermione, staring out the window at the blackened sky.

"That it does," sighed Ron. "Fancy a game of chess, Harry?"

"Why not," said Harry, watching as Ron pulled a miniature chess set from his robes. "We've got a good seven hour trip back to London.

"And we should use it for sleep," said Hermione pointedly. "Who knows what we might run into while we're there?"

"True," said Harry as Ron began setting up the pieces.

"Just one game?" pleaded Ron.

"Oh fine," chuckled Harry, rolling his eyes. "I don't know why I bother…it's not like I'm ever going to win."

"At least you're a realist," smiled Ron.

True to their word, Harry and Ron packed it in after Ron's checkmate in fourteen moves. Ron took one of the seats in the compartment for himself while Hermione curled up next to Harry on the other one. Not bothering to open his eyes, Harry softly kissed Hermione on the top of her head and draped his arm over her body as they drifted off to sleep.

"How is our progress?" asked a cold voice.

"Not very good, my lord," came the reply. "For muggles, they have an extremely strong resistance to both the Cruciatus and Imperius."

"Perhaps you don't have enough incentive, Rodolphus," said the voice. "Or enough skill."

"I beg forgiveness, my lord," replied the second man in a feeble attempt to hold himself together.

"I suppose," said the voice. "Very well…I'll have to do it myself."

"Yes, my lord."

"You will be punished for making me exert this effort."

"Y-yes, my lord."

"And fetch Bellatrix for me…I seem to have another headache."

"Of course, my lord."

"Harry!" exclaimed Ron, startling both him and Hermione.

"Bloody hell, Ron, what is it?" asked Harry, jumping up. His friend had his wand raised and was aiming it right at Harry's chest.

"I…I don't know," said Ron, confused. "A minute ago, there was this silverish glow coming from you…but now it's gone."

"Oh. That," said Hermione, rubbing her eyes as she sat up. "Explain it to him, Harry."

Harry untucked the pendant from his collar so that Ron could see it.

"It's Eternium," explained Harry. "Hermione made it for me."

Ron stared blankly at the two of them for a minute before chuckling and shaking his head.

"Why am I not surprised?" he asked himself.

"I'm sorry?" asked Hermione.

"Leave it to you to do something that's supposed to be impossible," laughed Ron.

"Impossible?" asked Hermione. "No, it's not impossible, just -"

"Oh come on," interrupted Ron. "Are you telling me you didn't do all the research?"

"I did…" said Hermione. "What are you talking about?"

"Maybe you don't know this because it's another wizarding story," said Ron thoughtfully.

"Well do tell," said Harry. "You've certainly piqued my interest."

"Well, Eternium is man-made, that much you obviously know already," said Ron. "But what I guess you don't really know is that it's not supposed to be able to be created."

"That can't be right," said Hermione. "The books said that dozen of wizards and witched had created it -"

"They probably came close," interrupted Ron again. "I doubt any of them ever actually did it."

"Why?" asked Harry and Hermione.

"Because pure, completed Eternium is supposed to hold incomprehensible power," answered Ron. "And while I'm sure you wouldn't abuse such a thing, I promise you others would, and we'd know about it."

"So…what you're saying…" said Hermione.

"The way the story goes, is that Eternium is pure technology," said Ron. "It tells you the methods to solving every problem in existence, and holds all the answers to those problems as well."

"So we could use this to find all the horcruxes and everything?" asked Harry.

"I doubt it," said Ron. "I was speaking in metaphors."

"How do you know all of this anyway?" asked Hermione.

"Well, with two brothers like Fred and George, does it really surprise you?" grinned Ron. "I think it was when they were ten…they decided that they were going to make Eternium and rule the world, and like always, they made me do all the grunt work, so I found out a good amount about it."

"So how do you know if this is pure or not?" asked Hermione, staring at it.

"It glows," shrugged Ron. "That means it works."

"So…what kind of potential does this thing have?" asked Harry, looking at the silver gem.

"What kind of potential do you want it to have?" grinned Ron.

"It's that powerful?" asked Hermione.

"If you made it right, it should be," said Ron. "How did you do it anyway?"

"Well, like I already told Harry, it's just silver and diamond," she replied. "I used Occlumency techniques to focus my emotions and amplify them, then I would draw them from my head like you would draw a thought for a pensieve. Then it was just a matter of weaving the silver and the diamond together with it."

"What emotions did you focus on?" asked Ron.

"Love," said Hermione, blushing slightly. "Just love."

"Makes sense," shrugged Ron. "It's the purest and most powerful emotion."

"So…if I wanted to learn how to create a broom that could fly the speed of light, this could teach me?" asked Harry, still staring at the gem.

"Sure," shrugged Ron. "If it's genuine. There's absolutely no limit to what that could do."

"Harry," whispered Hermione. "We could advance civilization by thousands of years in just our lifetimes. Imagine how we could better the world."

"Yeah," smiled Harry. "I suppose we could."

"Looks like we're almost there," said Ron, glancing out the window. "We seem to be entering the London area."

"Alright," said Harry, tucking the pendant away. "Let's be ready to move."

The train came to a halt just under five minutes later and without missing a beat, the three of them sprinted off the train, through the deserted station and out onto the street, where Hermione promptly summoned the Knight Bus.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus," a stocky, surly man said in a monotone. "My name is Christopher Jacobs and I'll be your conductor for this even - good lord, are you Harry Potter?"

"Yeah," said Harry. "And it's an emergency, we need to go to Grimmauld Place immediately."

"Any particular address?" asked the man.

"Just Grimmauld Place," repeated Harry.

"Grimmauld Place, Ernie!" shouted the man. "And step on it!"

"I think I'm going to be sick," said Hermione as the bus took off. Harry privately agreed…it was traveling at least three times as fast as it normally did. He was most grateful that they were the only passengers on board, save for a sleeping man in a hooded cloak down the far end of the bus.

"Right then, here we are," said the man as the bus slammed to a halt. "No charge for you three, if it's an emergency after all."

"Thanks," said Harry, wobbling off the bus. Ron and Hermione followed, and the triple decker sped off into the night a moment later.

"I think I'll take quidditch over that any day," said Hermione, leaning against Harry for support.

"Agreed," said Ron and Harry at the same time. "Wands out, let's get moving."

The three of them moved down the street quietly towards Number 12, which ominously stood looming over the other houses on the street. Quickly, they moved up to the door and stopped on the step.

"Erm…is it unlocked?" asked Ron.

"Let's find out," said Harry, grabbing the doorknob.

"Who goes there?" a voice in Harry's head asked.

"Uh…Harry Potter," he replied.

"Welcome home, Master Potter," the voice said, and the door swung open.

"Um…thanks," said Harry as he walked inside, followed Ron and Hermione.

"So where should we start looking?" asked Ron softly as the door closed behind them.

"I think we stored all that stuff in the attic," said Hermione. "So we should probably start there."

"Good idea," said Harry, and they walked off towards the stairs.

Five minutes, three flights of stairs and a ladder later, the three of them found themselves in the dust covered attic of the house.

"Blimey," said Ron, holding his lit wand in front of him. "You breathe and dust flies everywhere."

"Let's just start looking around," said Harry. "I see some of the bags we used over there."

"Cor, these are disgusting," said Ron, tentatively opening one of the sacks.

"Just dump the stuff out," said Hermione. "We'll be able to find it faster that way."

"Let's see what we've got here," muttered Ron as emptied the contents onto the floor. "Looks like just a bunch of cookery and silverware."

"Let's try the next one," said Harry, grabbing another bag.

Ten minutes later the attic was strewn with goblets, jewelry, pots and pans, china, silverware and various other things, but no locket.

"Only one left," said Ron, staring at the last sack in the corner of the room.

"Let's hope we have some luck this time," said Hermione as the boys dumped the contents.

"Some rings…a music box…hey," said Harry, finding the heavy silver locket and picking it up. "It's definitely not Slytherin's."

"Let's try and open it anyway," said Hermione, pointing her wand at it. "Alohomora."

The latch sprung open and Harry could see a tightly stuffed note inside of it.

"Why didn't we try that last time?" asked Ron as Harry pulled the paper out and unfolded it.

"We couldn't use magic last time," pointed out Hermione.

"I'm really frustrated but somehow not surprised," sighed Harry, having read the note.

"What's it say?" asked Hermione. Harry handed it to her and she read it, Ron observing over her shoulder.

To the Dark Lord,
It seems you're more imaginative than I believed. I couldn't find a way to destroy the Horcrux, but I will not let it return to your hands. I will personally make sure Dumbledore hears of this and I'm confident he will find a way to stop you. May your demise come swift an

There was a scribble where the 'd' should've been, but nothing else.

"It just stops there?" asked Ron, amazed.

"He probably was attacked while writing it," said Hermione. "But…this doesn't tell us where to find it."

"Voldemort could have it with him for all we know," said Ron.

"No…" said Harry. "He wouldn't. Think about all the precautions he took in the cave to protect it…he wouldn't carry another horcrux on his person, he already was wearing the sapphire bracelet."

"So what do you think?" asked Hermione.

"I think we should find out where Regulus is buried," said Harry. "And see if we can't figure out anything from there."

"It's worth a shot," said Ron.

"We'll have to ask the Order where the Black family burial grounds are," said Hermione. "Hopefully they'll be able to tell -"

A crash from downstairs silenced the three of them.

"What the hell was that?" whispered Ron, drawing his wand as Harry and Hermione did the same.

"Let's start moving out of here," said Harry softly. "Quickly and quietly."

The three of them made their way down the ladder to the hall below and pressed themselves against the wall.

"I hear footsteps," said Hermione. Indeed, it sounded as if several people were quietly making their way up the stairs.

"Stunners," whispered Harry. "As soon as you see them."

Ron and Hermione nodded and got into positions for clear shots.

The intruders reached the landing and began walking towards where Harry, Ron, and Hermione were waiting. Harry guessed they were about ten feet away from turning the corner…five…two…

"STUPEFY!" the three of them bellowed as the person rounded the corner.

"Shite!" yelled Ron as curses started flying at them.

"Oooooohhh Potttterrr!" cat-called a familiar female voice. "How mean of you to stun my husband like that!"

"Bellatrix," spat Harry. "To what do I owe the pleasure? And how did you get in here?"

"You cornered yourself, wee Potter," she called as more curses flew at them. "And you'll find that although the secret dies with the secret-keeper, the Fidellius Charm is quite easy to remove as a whole when the person who cast it passes away."

"Damnit," muttered Hermione. "We're trapped."

"So you're here as Voldemort's lapdog?" called Harry.

"Do not speak his name!" yelled Bellatrix, sending a killing curse at Harry, which he dodged.

"Make me," taunted Harry.

"What're you doing?" hissed Ron. "Trying to get her to kill us?"

"He's trying to get her to make a mistake," shushed Hermione.

"I would very much like to do so," said Bellatrix. "But I think I'll wait for others to show up first."

"Oooh, scared Bella?" laughed Harry. "At least you know your limits."

"How dare you," spat the death eater, as they exchanged more spells. "My knowledge of magic on a whole is far greater than yours!"

'Use me.'

"I'm sorry?" asked Harry to no one in particular.

'Use me.'

It was a feminine voice, and it seemed to be coming from Harry's chest. He looked down and saw the Eternium glowing softly. Nodding, he clutched it in his hand.

There were no instructions issued to him like there were with the bracelet. Harry smiled to himself as he let the waves of magic wash over him like a warm shower.

'Go.'

A tremendous surge of power burst forth from his body and decimated the hall. The carpet was shredded, the paint was peeled off the walls, and Bellatrix was thrown backwards from her spot, and slammed into the wall behind her, a sickening crunch heard as she did so.

"Oh my," said Hermione, standing up. "Harry…was that…was that the…"

"Yeah," said Harry, hurrying over to Bellatrix's unconscious body. "It was."

"Holy hell, mate," said Ron, coming over. "That was something tremendous right there."

Harry could only nod as he conjured ropes and bound Bellatrix and Rodolphus. He turned around to speak to Ron and Hermione but there were sudden footsteps and the three of the whirled around to find themselves face to face with Remus and Tonks.

"Well…I can see we're not needed," said Tonks with a smile. "Wotcher."

"You could've showed up a few minutes earlier," smiled Harry, shaking Remus' hand. "McGonagal informed you then?"

"Yeah," replied Remus, looking down at the bodies of the death eaters. "It's not good how they can infiltrate this place now…I wonder who tipped them off?"

"It doesn't matter now," said Harry. "We didn't find much of anything anyway."

"What did you find?" asked Tonks. Harry handed her the note and she sighed after reading it.

"That was about my reaction too," smirked Harry. "We're thinking of going to Regulus' grave to see if we can find out anything."

"Might be a good idea," said Remus. "We'll take you there. It's about ten kilometers from here, so we should probably fly if you've brought brooms."

Harry's mind went to his Firebolt which was carefully packed away with his school belongings, which were more that likely residing comfortably in his room at Hogwarts.

"Cant we apparate?" asked Hermione.

"No can do," shrugged Remus. "The Blacks were always very protective of this area. The burial grounds are protected with many charms, including anti-apparition, and we sort of...well, put one up ourselves when we got here so no one could follow us."

"Ah," said Ron.

"No brooms, eh?" smiled Tonks, reading teens' expressions. "Walking it is then."

---------------

I apologize for the short chapter...life kicked me in the nuts these past two weeks and I didn't really have time to make it longer.

For my wisdom this time, ladies and gentlemen, I give you a quote that taught me so very much about life.

If you put 100 men in a room, you will find yourself with 100 different ways to love.

This wisdom is easily read, but it is not easy to accept and come to terms with. For some of my younger readers out there, I urge that you discover your own way to love, instead of listening to what other people say love is (and I happen to know a few people personally whose parents have taken a keen interest in trying to define that ever-elusive term for their children).

Until next time!