Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

So I guess all I need to do from now on to get people to review is throw in a movie quote. I am pleased to say though, that the 40 reviews I received last chapter is far and away the most I've ever gotten for a single chapter (in a novel length story). I don't suppose it would be too much to ask for a repeat performance? ;)

ETA: I realize that I said this chapter would be ready on Friday the 10th. Obviously, I didn't achieve that goal. At least I didn't break the two week rule...maybe I'll change the update day to Wednesdays...don't quote me on that.

ETA 2/14/06: Er...right. Broke the two week rule. Sorry! I promise I'll have the next chapter out faster...I was sick, and then depressed, and then sick again, and then there was Valentine's Day which is COMPLETE shenanigans...so I know I ask for it a lot, but if you could find it in your hearts just to forgive me this time (again), I'd really appreciate it. Oh, and review. ;)

BTW I made the chapter much longer than usual to compensate for the extra wait...hope you all enjoy it!

Read on!

---------------

Chapter 7: The Stone Circle

Harry and Hermione hadn't spoken about the events that occurred on the night of Harry's birthday since they had happened, but every now and then one of them would catch the other staring, and they would blush and share a smile before going back to what they were doing.

The days turned into weeks, and before anyone knew it, it was almost time to return to Hogwarts. It was therefore strange when two days before the Express was to depart, the letters for the upcoming school year hadn't arrived.

"Oh this is absurd!" exclaimed Hermione staring at her breakfast with disdain. "How are we supposed to prepare for the year without knowing what we need?"

"It's not like you're going to be less smart," shrugged Ron, earning him a glare.

"I wouldn't worry about it," said Harry, picking up a piece of bacon with his fingers. "There's probably a good reason."

"Oh, there's a reason alright," huffed Hermione, crossing her arms. "It's just not a good one."

"Actually," said Molly washing dishes from the sink, "Arthur just found out that it's a safety precaution. He said they don't want to risk the owls being traced."

"Why would they be traced?" asked Ron.

"So Voldemort would know who's returning ahead of time," said Harry without looking up from his plate."

"Exactly," nodded Molly.

"Well can you at least tell us who's teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts?" asked Hermione.

"Sorry, dear," said Molly. "I don't know any more about that than you do."

"So what are we to do about our books and such?" asked Hermione.

"They'll all be there when everyone arrives," answered Molly. "The Ministry apparently allotted a good amount of money to help pay for everything this year."

"That figures," said Harry with a dry laugh. "He's trying to get on my good side."

"He?" asked Molly.

"Scrimgeour," sighed Harry.

"The Minister?" asked Molly incredulously. "What on earth would he want with you?"

"To be a poster child," shrugged Harry. "I am the 'Chosen One' after all."

"Now we all know that's nonsense," said Molly dismissvely turning back to the dishes. "Like you could hold your own against the likes of You-Know-Who."

Although no one said anything, Harry, Ron, and Hermione all shared a worried glance at Molly's words.

=====

"Explain to me again why we're doing this?" asked Lupin.

"Because the twins said they had a surprise for everyone," commented Molly, not looking up from her knitting.

Harry laughed to himself as he sat in the backseat of the auto Lupin was driving, stuffed between Ron and Hermione. Another car was following them carrying Luna and Ginny with Tonks as the driver.

"Why couldn't we floo?" asked Ron.

"It's safer this way and looks much more conspicuous," replied Molly. "You-Know-Who would never expect Harry Potter to ride along in a car, after all."

Harry rolled his eyes and turned to look at Ron.

"Have you heard anything?" he asked.

"Not really," replied Ron. "Fred and George have been awfully busy this summer...talking about something involving building codes, but I don't know what they're up to."

The rest of the ride to the Leaky Cauldron passed fairly quickly. Harry, Ron, and Hermione wasted no time in getting out of the car as fast as they could once it had stopped, and were met with laughter from Luna.

"What's funny?" asked Ron.

"Oh nothing," she replied. "You lot just reminded me of something I saw on the telly once many years ago involving funny men with painted faces."

"Telly?" asked Ron confused.

"It's a muggle form of entertainment, Ronald," said Hermione, rolling her eyes.

"Oh," he nodded as they walked into the tavern.

"Oi!" exclaimed Tom the bartender as they walked inside. "Good to see you lot again! Fancy a pint?"

"Not today, thank you," said Molly briskly. "We're just passing through, Tom."

"Right then, Miz Weasley," he said dejectedly. "Go on through."

"What's wrong, Tom?" asked Harry as he walked by.

"Ah...young Potter...not so young anymore, eh?" he asked with a half-hearted smile. "I'm gonna have to close me pub down...no business anymore what with You-Know-Who out and about."

"Why?" asked Harry. "Don't you own the place?"

"Sure I do," shrugged Tom. "But I gots to pay bills to the Goblins to keep it runnin'. Those fires don't tend to themselves you know."

"You don't use house-elves?" asked Hermione.

"Course not," said Tom. "I don't believe in 'em. If they'd lemme pay 'em, then fine, but I won't have no one work for me without something innit for them."

"Maybe you and I should have a talk sometime," said Hermione before Ron steered her away. "Ron, kindly remove your hands from me."

"Sorry," he said pulling away. "Just didn't want you to get started."

"Woe betide the day that I talk about S.P.E.W. to someone who's interested," snapped Hermione as they got to the brick wall.

"Knock it off, you two," sighed Harry. "This is not the place."

"Sorry," they both mumbled as Lupin tapped the bricks with his wand and the archway appeared.

Like it had been the previous year, Diagon Alley was essentially deserted, only a few people walking quickly to and from stores at any given time.

"Well come on then," said Molly, hurrying them along to Weasley Wizarding Wheezes, several of the more famous products on display in the windows.

"Bloody hell..." exclaimed Ron as they walked inside.

Instead of the relatively small space that had once been the store, the inside was now the size of a small gymnasium, and Harry thought he could see a lift off to the side.

"Like the place?" asked Fred with a smile as he came up beside them.

"How on earth did you get the permits for this?" asked Hermione looking around in amazement.

"Oh, it took a while to get the papers straightened out," admitted George. "But the Ministry went along with it. More money for them in taxes, after all."

"Bloody brilliant," whispered Ron, looking at a green colored bottle on one of the shelves. "How long did it take you guys to come up with all these new products?"

"All of last year," replied Fred. "But enough standing around doing nothing. Who wants the new grand tour?"

Harry began to follow everyone, but a tap on the shoulder from George made him stop and turn.

"Come with me mate," he whispered.

"Where're we going?" asked Harry, following George to an unmarked door off to the side.

"You'll see," he replied with a grin, taking out a shiny bronze key and opening the door.

The environment changed instantly from the bright, festive atmosphere of the storefront to a dark and musty one. Harry blinked a few times and noticed he and George were now standing in a damp hallway lit only by torches, doors lining both sides.

"What's here?" asked Harry, looking around.

"All these doors lead to test chambers," said George, leading him down the hall. "With all the money we've earned, Fred and I can pay people to test our products now, instead of having to test them on ourselves."

"Doesn't seem very secure," Harry commented.

"It is," assured George. "That door we went through has several identity charms on it...only myself, Fred, or someone we've approved can pass through. We approved you the moment we created the damn thing, to answer your next question."

"Thanks," chuckled Harry as they reached the end of the hall and another door.

This door, unlike the plain gray others that they had passed, was wooden, and had many intricate and beautiful carvings on it that, upon closer inspection, were actually moving around the door slowly. Instead of a doorknob, there was only a small hole where it would be.

"Wow," remarked Harry. "Nice."

"Thanks," replied George, staring at the door carefully. "We hired a witch from Jamaica to do it...voodoo is such ancient magic that both Fred and I are confident no one but us can get through it."

"How am I supposed to get in then?" asked Harry.

"I'll show you," replied George. "You see that circle in the middle?"

"Yeah," said Harry.

"Put your hand on it," instructed George. Harry raised an eyebrow at him but complied, placing his right palm flat against the door. Instantly he was sucked in up to his shoulder, and he felt a strong pressure begin to build around his bicep.

"Er...help?" asked Harry.

"You have to wait ten seconds," said George, counting down on his fingers. When he reached zero, he pulled out his wand and placed the tip of it inside the hole on the door. "This one shall pass."

Harry felt himself being thrown forward, and next he knew he was laying on his stomach, the wooden door behind him, a staircase spiraling downward in front of him.

"Sorry about that," said George, coming through the door as well. "That's the only way for us to get the door to accept other people though."

"What happens if you aren't there to make it accept me?" asked Harry, as George took a torch from one of the brackets on the wall.

"It cuts your arm off," he shrugged with a smile. "Follow me."

Harry followed the red-head as he began to descend the stairs, treading carefully so as not to fall.

"No one knows this place is down here," said George. "We didn't even know it when we bought the place...but Fred's a right genius and stumbled upon it just before we were about to start the renovations."

"So what's down here that you need to keep so secret?" asked Harry as they reached the bottom, and another door, which George opened and led him through.

"This," he smiled, touching the flame to a small basin.

The room instantly brightened and Harry's jaw dropped.

"We're inventors, my brother and I," chuckled George, waving around at the mass of machines and flasks and cauldrons full of bubbling liquids. "So when we found this...spare room, we decided to invent some machines that would take the hard part out of potion making."

"This...this is bloody brilliant," exclaimed Harry, looking around. He could easily recongise several potions that he knew to be illegal, and a few that while legal, were extremely hard to brew. "No room for human error."

"None at all," smiled George. "Of course we had our difficulties when we were setting it up...getting the machines to do what we wanted them to was a task itself.

"What have you got here?" asked Harry brightly.

George and Harry spent the next ten minutes visiting each vat or cauldron, each containing some form of extremely hard or illegal potion. From Polyjuice to Exploding Draughts, Harry recognised every potion in the room, save for a few older ones that had been banned long before he was at Hogwarts.

"You need to keep this place a secret," said George as they walked back towards the stairs. "You can tell Ron and Hermione of course, but the ministry would be none to pleased to find out about it, and I'm sure You-Know-Who would kill to get his hands on this."

"Of course," nodded Harry. "All joking aside though, why did you show that place to me?"

"Just in case," winked George as they reached the top of the stairs. "You're not alone in this fight, Harry. My brother and I are determined to give you all the help you need."

"I appreciate it," said Harry as they passed through the wooden door. "I'm going to need more help than you know."

"Well let's get a move on," said George with a smile. "I'm sure everyone's wondered where we've run off to by now...even Fred isn't that good at distracting Mum."

They walked to the end of the hall and exited the way they came in, just in time to see Fred leading everyone back towards their direction.

"Maybe he is that good," whispered George, ducking behind a display rack and pulling Harry with him. "Fall in when they pass."

Sure enough, Fred led them right past where Harry and George were waiting, and without missing a beat they both stood up and joined the group again from the back.

"So that's everything," exclaimed Fred, clasping his hands together. "Any questions?"

"Yeah," said Ron. "Are you going give us anything for free?"

"Oh, I suppose a little charity could be in order," suggested George from beside Harry. "Why don't we show them our new beverages."

"Wonderful idea, O' brother of mine!" exclaimed Fred, herding everyone towards the left side of the store. "Why doesn't everyone pick out one that they like and it's on the house?"

Harry chuckled as the assembled group started perusing the items on the shelves, and he was about to join them when Fred came up to him and George.

"You show him?" he whispered. George nodded. "Good. Anything that you need Harry, we'll send it to you. If we don't have it, we'll make it, alright?"

"Yeah," said Harry, watching Hermione inspect one of the bottles of pink liquid. Fred and George followed his gaze and gave a snigger. "What?"

"It's about time," said Fred with a smile.

"After all this time -" began George.

"We'd began to think you weren't going to notice," finished Fred with a grin.

"Notice what?" asked Harry.

"Hermione," they chorused together.

"What about her?" asked Harry, turning back to look again.

"It's obvious that the two of you are meant to be together," laughed George. "After all...remember what Bill said."

"How we talk without talking..." muttered Harry.

"She may have liked our git of a brother, but they're just not right together," chuckled Fred.

"Well I suppose that -"

"GINNY!" bellowed George.

Ginny jumped about a foot in the air from her spot next to a rack of deep red bottles, dropping one and causing a few to fall to the ground in the process.

"What?!" she yelled back, breathing hard.

"Please stay away from the love potions," said George sweetly. "We had that talk last year and it doesn't seem to have registered."

Harry had just turned to look towards Hermione, but at that last sentence, his head snapped back around at Ginny who looked for all the world like that cat who ate the canary.

"I think," he said, crossing his arms. "That I'm going to have a talk with Ginny."

"Harry, dear," said Molly coming over to him.

"Now," he said dangerously. Ginny's look instantly changed from one of guilt to fear and she looked to her brother for help.

"What?" snapped Ron. "If you did what I think you did I'm not defending you one bit."

"Let's go," said Harry walking over to her. "Do you have a room we could use for a few minutes, guys?"

"Sure," replied Fred, pointing at the lift. "Floor five."

Harry briefly considered asking how they managed to fit five floors into the small space, but thought better of it and walked wordlessly over to the lift, pressing the call button when he got there. He turned around and saw that Ginny was still looking nervously around the people she was with before finally caving in and walking towards Harry. He saw Hermione make a motion to follow her, but Ron put his hand on her arm and shook his head wordlessly.

The lift arrived and Harry stepped on, Ginny following timidly behind.

"Harry..."

"Wait," said Harry with finality. Ginny opened and closed her mouth wordlessly as the lift dinged and the doors opened, revealing a very large and very empty conference room.

They stepped out of the elevator and as soon as the doors were closed, Harry rounded on her.

"I want the truth. Right. Now," he said so dangerously that a dementor would've turned tail and run from him.

"Harry..."

"NOW!" he bellowed.

"I'm sorry," she said collapsing into one of the chairs, her body starting to shake. "I'm so sorry, Harry..."

"You did, didn't you?" he asked, sitting a few chairs down from her. "You used a love potion on me."

Tears were running down Ginny's face as she nodded almost imperceptibly.

"I'm sorry," she said again. "But it was the only way...I thought that maybe if you could get used to me then maybe I wouldn't need the potion anymore...and we could be together."

"Ginny..." said Harry sighing. They sat in silence for a few minutes until Harry spoke again. "Were you going to do it again?"

"No," she sniffled. "I wanted some just in case."

"Just in case of what?" asked Harry.

"Being alone isn't something I really fancy," sighed Ginny. "And there's someone I kinda have my eye on."

"I'm going to tell you a story," said Harry suddenly.

"A...a story?" asked Ginny, wiping at her eyes.. Harry nodded.

"Many years ago, there was a young woman named Merope Gaunt," he began, reclining slightly. "This woman was the daughter of one Marvolo Gaunt."

"Marvolo?" asked Ginny, her face still red. "Y-You-Know...oh sod it all, Voldemort's middle name?"

Harry grinned at her for the first time since they had been up there and nodded.

"You should say his name more often," he said. "The sky didn't come crashing down on us, after all, you see?"

"Right," chuckled Ginny softly.

"Anyway, this woman, Merope," continued Harry. "She was badly abused by her father and brother...her brother is of no concern in this particular story, so we'll leave him out of it." Ginny nodded. "Of course, she was a pure-blood...and her father hated anything muggle with a passion."

"What does that have to do with anything?" asked Ginny.

"There was a muggle in the village that she fancied," shrugged Harry. "Rather, was in love with. But her family was poor and common, and his was rich and important. He would never have loved her."

"But?" asked Ginny sensing something more.

"Merope finally broke free of her father and brother when they were taken to Azkaban, and she took it upon herself to offer this muggle a love potion in the form of an innocent drink."

Ginny gasped slightly.

"This muggle's name, of course, was Tom Riddle."

"V...Volde -"

"No," interrupted Harry. "His father. Tom Riddle senior." Ginny slowly brought her hand to her open mouth. "Tom Marvolo Riddle, the man who is today known as Lord Voldemort, was conceived under a love potion."

"Oh my god..." breathed Ginny.

"So you can see," said Harry. "There is much more to love potions than meets the eye."

"But...the potions that Fred and George sell can't possibly be that strong," she whispered.

"They were strong enough to make me fall for you...imagine what would've happened if you hadn't stopped giving it to me."

"Harry...my god I had no idea..."

"I know," he said. "That's why I'm telling you this story. And as a side note, Merope also thought that after enough time that Tom would love her for who she was, not because of a love potion. Which is, of course, why he left her, alone, heartbroken, and with a child who would soon be orphaned."

Ginny looked sick. Without a moment's notice she collapsed against the table in body-wracking sobs, covering her head with her arms.

"Gin," said Harry, getting up and placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't," she cried, shrugging him off. "I'm...I'm no better than he is."

"You are infinitely better than Voldemort," said Harry, crouching down so he could see some of her face. "You must also remember, that although she gave birth to him, Merope was not Voldemort either. From what I have seen of her, she was a kind and misunderstood woman who got dealt a very bad hand, and just wanted to have someone love her. Wanting love is not a crime."

"I deserve to be thrown in Azkaban," sobbed Ginny.

"No," said Harry sternly, grabbing her shoulder and forcing her to sit up. "You are not a criminal. You're misguided. I partially blame Molly for that...not letting her children to grow up and all."

"But I...I used you," sniffled Ginny.

"Yes, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every moment of it," said Harry softly with a smile. "I wish that you had been honest with me...we might've actually had something then."

"No," sighed Ginny, wiping her eyes. "We wouldn't have."

"Why do you say that?" asked Harry.

"Because you're in love with Hermione, and she loves you back," said Ginny softly.

"Why do you think that?" asked Harry.

"It's so easy to see," she sighed. "I think if it hadn't been for stupid teenage hormones she might've worked it out last year instead of going for my idiot stud brother."

Harry smiled and squeezed her hand softly.

"You're a good person Gin," he said kissing her lightly on the cheek. "And you're going to make some bloke very happy one day.

"Thank you," she replied, looking at him.

"We should get downstairs," said Harry, rising to a standing base. "Don't want to make people worry."

"Right," replied Ginny.

"And Gin?" asked Harry as he pressed the button for the lift. "Don't tell anyone that story, no one needs to know of my knowledge about Voldemort's past."

"My lips are sealed," she said with a smile.

"Good."

"Hey, Harry?" she asked as the doors opened and they got inside.

"Yeah?"

"I still want to help you this year, if you'll let me," she said with a small smile.

"Of course," replied Harry with a nod.

"I am sorry about everything, you know."

"I know," nodded Harry. "And I forgive you...I am pretty appealing, after all."

"And without an ego to boot," said Ginny sarcastically. Harry laughed.

"How did you do it though?" he asked. "You were giving me a love potion for months...I should've noticed you doing it."

"I was good," shrugged Ginny. "When you weren't looking at breakfast I'd put one drop on my finger, then levitate it into your cup."

"One drop wouldn't do anything," said Harry lifting an eyebrow."

"I always made sure to whisper a refilling charm right as you started pouring," she shrugged. "Of course, it copies the last thing in the container, so it would fill the goblet with potion while you were pouring."

"Despite the fact that it was a morally incorrect thing to do," said Harry contemplatively. "I give you credit. That's pretty brilliant."

"Thanks," said Ginny sheepishly as the doors opened on the ground floor.

"Ginerva you come right here and -"

"She is forgiven," said Harry interrupting Molly. "Her sin was against me, and me alone. Since I have forgiven her, punishment and further embarrassment is not necessary."

"I...well, erm..." stammered Molly.

"Come on then," said Harry to the group. "We could all use some ice cream. Fortescue may have gone missing last summer but I'll bet you Tom has got something, and he could use the business. My treat," he added, seeing the hesitant look on Ron's face."

"Alright," said Tonks with a smile. "That sounds like a good idea."

"Is everything alright," asked Hermione as they all walked out of the shop, Fred barking at employees to make sure the shop was kept in good order while they were gone. Harry stared at her for a few seconds, then draped his arm across her shoulders as they walked.

"I think so," he said softly to her. Hermione said nothing, she only smiled back and rested her head on his shoulder, her arm going around his waist as she did so.

=====

"Does everyone have everything?" yelled Molly over the bustle of everyone getting ready at the last minute.

"I think so," replied Ron looking at his trunk, while Ginny rushed by him up the stairs to get a forgotten item.

"Well the car from the ministry gets here in five minutes," said Molly helping to tidy up Harry's trunk. "So be ready." At that moment Ron cursed to himself and followed Ginny up the stairs to retrieve something from his room.

"I wonder why the ministry is lending us a car," said Luna from her cross-legged perch on her trunk. Her father had been called away unexpectedly on a meeting, and had asked if the Weasleys could take her to the station with them.

"Probably to get on my good side...again," chuckled Harry from next to her, watching Ron and Ginny run around the house grabbing things they'd forgotten.

"The minister wants your support, I imagine?" asked Luna.

"Yep," laughed Harry as Ron tripped on the bottom stair and fell on his face.

"You wouldn't be laughing if it was you," grumbled Ron.

"No, but you would," smiled Harry. Ron opened his mouth to retort and then closed it.

"Touche," he nodded.

"Ooh, French, Ronald," laughed Hermione from the doorway. "Congratulations, you've learned to speak a language other than Food."

"Is this 'pick on Ron' day?" he asked, shoving a Chudley Cannons poster into his trunk.

"Every day is 'pick on Ron' day if the opportunity is right," smiled Ginny, putting some clothes into her trunk.

"Funny, Gin," nodded Ron with narrow eyes.

"They're here!" exclaimed Molly, looking out the window. "Come on everyone, let's go."

It took them fifteen minutes to get the car loaded, but thanks to some handy enlargement charms, all of them fit comfortably into the single car, their trunks safely packed away in the boot.

"Wotcher, all!" exclaimed the driver as Harry got in last and closed the door.

"Tonks?" asked Hermione as the grey-haired driver turned around and smiled at them.

"Of course," she said with a wink. "All in a day's work, for an auror, after all. And this won't be the last of me, I reckon."

"What do you mean by that?" asked Harry.

"You'll see," replied Tonks with a conspirational wink.

The ride to King's Cross passed fairly quickly, and in no time Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, and Ginny were shoving their trunks onto the train and waving goodbye to Molly and Tonks from their compartment.

"Look after yourselves!" yelled Molly from the platform.

"We will Mum!" yelled Ron in response. "I'll owl you every week."

"Don't be sarcastic with me Ronald Weasley!" yelled Molly, though she was smiling. "See you all over Winter Hols!"

Harry waved to her and Tonks as the train pulled away, but just as he was about to turn back to the compartment, he swore he saw a rat sitting beside a trash can, looking at the people around it.

"Harry, what is it?" asked Hermione as he sat down in his seat next to her.

"I think I just saw Pettigrew," sighed Harry. "Shame we can't let anyone know now...seems McGonagal was right."

"Headmistress McGonagal, if you would please," said the woman standing outside their compartment. All five of them jumped in surprise.

"Sorry Professor," breathed Harry.

"No worries," she said with a stern smile. "You, Miss Granger, and Mister Weasley will need to report to the Prefect's compartment for the meeting, after all."

"Why am I going along?" asked Harry. "I was quidditch captain last year and didn't have to join them."

"You weren't Head Boy last year," said McGonagal offhandedly. Harry's jaw dropped.

"Wh...what?" he asked.

"Head Boy," reiterated McGonagal, growing impatient. "Surely you didn't forget?"

"You never told me," said Harry softly, amazed. "But what about..." he looked around quickly to make sure no one was standing outside. "What about the fact that we're not really going to be around much this year?"

"With the reduced number of students, the responsibilities you and Miss Granger share will be greatly lightened," said McGonagal. "And should anyone start to question your absence, I doubt they will question the Headmistress," she added with a wink.

"What?!" exclaimed Hermione bolting up out of her seat. "You didn't tell me I was Head Girl?"

"My dear girl was there ever a doubt?" asked McGonagal with a smile. "Oh, well now you know, here are your badges...obviously they weren't sent to you by mail. I'll be along in a while, you three get a move on and set a good example."

"Yes ma'am," said Harry, getting up. As soon as the door to the compartment was closed Hermione rounded on him.

"We're Head Boy and Girl!" she yelled, her eyes dancing with excitement.

"Yes, Hermione, I kn -"

But before Harry could finish, Hermione had flung herself at him delight, her lips landing on his before either of them had a chance to react.

They stood there frozen, eyes wide, looking at each other for several seconds before Ron got up.

"I'll er...get a head start," he said. "You guys can catch up." And without another word he left.

"Oh my god," breathed Hermione, pulling away.

"Hermione..."

Harry had barely opened his mouth when Hermione turned and fled the compartment, a choked sob coming from her as the door slammed shut.

"Told you so," chorused Luna and Ginny at the same time.

"This is not the time, nor the place," chastised Harry. "I've got to find her."

Lucky for him, he found Hermione in the first place he looked: the bathroom. He approached the sound of muffled sobs carefully and hesitantly knocked on the door.

"Occupied," he heard her say shakily. Sighing, he drew his wand and tapped the doorknob while thinking 'Alohamora,' and a click later he opened the door to find Hermione sitting on the seat, her head in her hands."

"Surely I can't be that bad of a kisser," he joked. "Even Cho didn't react this badly."

"Harry..." she whimpered looking up at him. "I am so sorry."

"For what?" he asked, sliding inside and closing the door behind him.

"You told me...you said you weren't ready...now I've gone and screwed everything up."

"Hardly," he said, wrapping his arms around her. Crying, she melted into his embrace and cried against his shoulder. "I still want to be with you very much."

"Me too," she whispered, dabbing at her eyes. "Stupid teenage hormones...getting me all teary."

"It's alright," said Harry softly. "My opinion of you hasn't changed at all."

"I just kissed you, Harry," said Hermione pointedly. "It was all..."

"Awkward?" asked Harry with a slight smile.

"Yeah," she sighed, not letting go of him.

"It was unexpected," smiled Harry. "But not unwelcome."

"You mean that?" she asked. Harry nodded.

"And I promise you, once I get this mass of confusion that's my mind all sorted out, I'll make sure to give you the real kiss you deserve."

Hermione leaned back and looked at him, her eyes slightly red but for the most part dry.

"You the most wonderful person I know," she sighed. "I wish I had seen it years ago."

"We weren't ready years ago," replied Harry. "We're not ready quite yet." He lifted his chin slightly and kissed her on the forehead. "Soon. I promise."

=====

The prefects meeting was astoundingly boring, and Harry didn't pay much attention to it, watching Hermione write down everything McGonagal was telling them on a piece of parchment.

After the meeting, Ron pulled them aside before they reached the compartment and into an unoccupied bathroom.

"Rather cramped for three people, Ron," said Harry as he shoved them inside and closed the door behind him.

"Get over it," he said. "What's going on between you two?"

"Nothing," said Harry truthfully.

Ron did the best he could to cross his arms in the tight space and gave Harry an appraising look.

"It's true, Ron," said Hermione. "We're not dating. We just..."

"Yes?" asked Ron, lifting an eyebrow.

"We're trying to figure everything out," said Harry.

"How so?" asked Ron.

"Ron, I love Harry with all my heart," said Hermione pointedly. Harry felt his heart skip a beat. "He just doesn't know how to accept it yet."

"So that's what's been going on?" asked Ron, looking at Harry. "You're too bloody stupid to know a good thing when you see it?"

"Oh, I know a good thing," replied Harry. "I just don't know how to embrace it yet."

"You're as bloody mental as she is," said Ron, shaking his head and turning to leave.

"Ron," said Hermione, causing him to stop. "Think about how Harry grew up for a second...the only love he's ever had was from his parents, and he doesn't remember them. He doesn't know what love is...and he wants to make sure he does for fear of hurting me."

Ron turned and looked between Harry and Hermione for a few moments before sighing.

"It's true Ron," said Harry. "I'm scared to hell that I'd do something wrong and hurt Hermione."

"I know," sighed Ron. "And that's why I'm not mad."

"You're not?" asked Harry and Hermione at the same time.

"Nope...just don't let me catch the two of you snogging or anything, food tastes better on the way down, in my opinion."

"Can we get out of here?" asked Hermione. "It's much too cramped."

Ron opened the door and the three of them spilled out, Hermione running into Ron's arms as they did so.

"You're a bloody goof," she said with a smile. "Thank you for understanding."

"Yeah well...it's not like I'm totally alone in all of this," he said as they started to walk back to the compartment.

"Luna likes you too," commented Harry, causing Ron to look at him with an arched eyebrow. "You should ask her out."

"Please," laughed Ron. "After all the times I've made fun of her? She'd laugh at me."

"She'd laugh at anyone," noted Hermione. "But that laugh will be followed by a yes."

"You think so?" asked Ron as they got close to your compartment.

"I know so," replied Hermione. "Call it female intuition."

"Can't argue with that, I suppose," laughed Ron as they re-entered their compartment.

"Can't argue with what?" asked Luna as they sat down.

"Er...nothing," said Ron. "Just prefect stuff."

"Ohh," said Luna nodding. "So how was the meeting?"

"It was fine," shrugged Hermione. "Just the usual stuff."

"You're going to have to give me a refresher," whispered Harry to Hermione. She turned around to face him sternly, but relaxed slightly when she saw the sheepish look on his face. "I was paying more attention to you than McGonagal."

"While it's not a valid excuse," she whispered. "I'll overlook it this one time."

"Thanks," replied Harry, putting his arm around her shoulders. Smiling she settled into his embrace as Ron and Luna began a discussion about Quigglies.

The day waned as the train continued to speed towards its destination, and as twilight turned to dusk, Harry noticed that the sky was overcast, giving a sense of foreboding.

"What is it?" asked Hermione, sensing him tense.

"I don't know," replied Harry, looking out the window. He glanced over at Ron and Luna's now sleeping forms and sighed. "I've just got a bad feeling."

"About what?" she asked, sitting up.

"Something's not right," sighed Harry, looking outside as the school became visible far in the distance.

"You're going back to Hogwarts," said Hermione, placing her hand on his arm. "Without Dumbledore."

"Yeah..." said Harry slowly. "That's probably it."

Privately, he didn't think that had a single thing to do with it.

=====

When assembled in the Great Hall, it was clear that easily one-third of the school's population hadn't returned...several people Harry knew were absent.

"Me Mum almost persuaded me not to come back," said Seamus, sitting down near them. "But I wouldn't have it. I abandoned ye once, Harry. I'm not about to do that again."

"I appreciate it," nodded Harry with a smile.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all sat in an anxious silence, eager for the sorting to begin, though Harry still couldn't shake the feeling that something was amiss.

"Would you look at that," chuckled Ron. "Slughorn returned."

Harry looked up quickly at the staff table, and sure enough, there was Horace Slughorn, though looking much older than he had the previous year. Harry also noted, that a strange woman with long white hair was sitting next to him, presumably the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He was about to point this out to Ron and Hermione when, with a bang, the doors to the Great Hall opened, and Flitwick entered followed by -

"Eight," whispered Ron. "Eight first years."

"That's the lowest number in the history of Hogwarts," sighed Hermione as the children followed Flitwick up to the stool that the Sorting Hat sat on. "People must be terrified."

"Shh," hushed Ginny. "The Hat's about to start."

The hat opened at the brim as it had in years past, but instead of the song almost everyone present was accustomed to, it spoke in a low and serious voice Harry had never heard before.

Time is passing, the end grows near
Too late for pause, too late for fear
Darkness deepens, the shadows grow
Fading light brings a herald of woe
Evil rises from the west
One that sleeps but knows no rest
Light rises from the east
Jeered and caged but an untamed beast
Despair lingers in the south
Created and breathed by evil's mouth
Hope resides to the north
Small and powerful yet when called comes forth
The Stone Circle they form
The emotions of man
From the four powers life is born
Or thrown back to where it began
He who is the Chosen One
Must find the powers and unite
Only then can victory come
A war, a battle, a final fight
And though one is one, ten is ten,
Allies come as a thousand men
One man's battle is a thousand men's war
Search your hearts, fight you care for
The tools of war, I shall provide
But pick carefully friends, when you choose your side
For when the bell tolls
For when the fires rise
Summon courage from your souls
Raise your swords to the skies
The Circle will end the conflict at hand,
The wars of life, the battle of man
When it is over, and all is done
The knight will stand, triumphant and tall
And by the light of the dying sun
Darkness or light, one shall fall
For those of the light
Follow your knight
Be strong and sharp and steadfast through the night.
For the darkness will fall
And hope shall prevail
Answer the cry of battle's call
Lest the light shall fail
Of valiance, of courage, and of loyalty sing,
Stand at arms, unite under the king.

No applause followed. Silence reigned supreme throughout the hall as the hat lifted its brim one more time, but instead of speaking, revealed a bracelet made of stone with several runic inscriptions on it.

Without speaking, though obviously stunned, Flitwick picked up the bracelet and handed it to McGonagal, who pocketed it without another thought.

Harry paid no attention to the sorting, his mind was too focused on what the hat had said. It had distinctly used the words 'Chosen One' and for that reason Harry couldn't help but feel that the message involved him.

"Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts!" yelled McGonagal, as the last student took her place at the Hufflepuff table to scattered applause. "Before we being, I would like to introduce your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Miss Dora Tinks."

"Harry," nudged Hermione excitedly. "It's Tonks!"

"Are you sure?" asked Ron as the woman stood up and waved to the applause of the student body.

"With a name like that?" asked Hermione, smugly. "She did say she'd be seeing us again soon, didn't she?"

"I suppose," chuckled Ron, as she sat back down.

"I will have words after the feast," said McGonagal. "So for now, enjoy the wonderful food!"

The usual feast appeared on the table in front of Harry, but he had lost his appetite. Sighing, he looked at McGonagal who was in deep conversation with Tonks (or at least he assumed it was Tonks).

The meal ended none too soon for Harry, and with a flourish McGonagal stood up.

"It saddens me to say that due to the events of this past summer, not as many of you are here as we all would've liked. I feel, therefore, that a moment of silence for Albus Dumbledore is in order, since it is his passing that has caused our numbers to weaken so."

She bowed her head and the hall was deathly quiet for a few seconds until she raised her head again. "Our late headmaster's death has had a grave impact on us all. Though we may fear for what has passed and what comes, we must remember to persevere, if not for yourself, for the ones who love you."

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand under the Gryffindor table.

"As many of you have deduced, I have taken Albus' place as Headmistress, and Professor Flitwick as my Deputy. School lists were obviously not sent out this year, and due to a very generous contribution from the Ministry, everything was purchased beforehand and has already been delivered to your rooms. Now then, as classes start tomorrow, it is time for you all to get a good night's sleep!"

The students rose and began to file out of the Great Hall, the usual chatter having resumed among them.

"C'mon Harry," said Hermione, dragging him to the head of the crowd. "We have to lead them to the common room, remember?"

"Oh yeah," said Harry, still not used to his Head Boy duties.

"First years over here!" called Hermione, waving the three students who had been sorted into their house over. Ron snorted.

"You're so nice to them," he smiled.

"Better than being a git," retorted Hermione with a smile.

"What's the password?" whispered Harry as they began ascending the stairs.

"Nitwit," replied Hermione as they reached the seventh floor. "This portrait is the entrance to our common room," she elaborated to the first years. "Speak the password to enter."

"Nitwit," said a young girl with straight brown hair.

"Very good," smiled Hermione as the door swung open.

They walked inside and after a brief discussion about the dormitories, Hermione sent them off to bed.

"Well, I'm knackered," said Ron, stretching. "I'm gonna head up."

"Oh no you don't," said Hermione, pulling him down onto the couch. "We're talking about what happened tonight."

Ron rolled his eyes as the three of them sat there and waited for about ten minutes while everyone arrived and went upstairs. Harry was happy to see that Dean and Neville had also returned, and waved them hello as they passed.

"Do you mind if I sit in?" asked Ginny, sitting next to Ron. "Seeing as I know what you're all going to talk about."

"Be my guest," shrugged Ron. A few minutes later the common room was clear, and Harry sat up.

"I don't remember what the hat said word for word, so when I get the chance I'll ask to view the memory in the pensieve and write it down," he said, not wasting any time.

"What do you think it meant by it?" asked Ron. "D'you think it was advice or something...more?"

"It was something more," said Hermione, standing by the window, looking down on the grounds. "It was almost like a riddle."

"And the bracelet," added Ginny. "Didn't it say something about providing tools of war?"

"I doubt it's a coincidence that the bracelet is also a stone circle," sighed Hermione. "The two have to be connected."

"The stone circle," said Ron contemplatively. "Something about evil in the west...light in the east..."

"Despair in the south and hope in the north," finished Harry as Ron trailed off. "That doesn't tell us anything."

"I don't think we're going to be able to find out anything concrete until we speak with McGonagal," said Hermione, turning around. "So we should do it soon."

"Tomorrow," said Harry. "At breakfast."

"I agree," replied Hermione.

"Well if that's settled," said Ron, getting up. "I'm really tired. Night you guys."

"I'm with him," said Ginny, also rising to her feet as Ron walked up the stairs and out of sight. "Don't stress too hard over this Harry, it can't be that bad."

"It can always be that bad," laughed Harry dryly. Ginny gave a small chuckle and walked over to the stairs leading to the girls' dorms, disappearing a moment later.

Sighing, Harry walked over to Hermione who was now looking down on the grounds again, and put his hands on her shoulders.

"I'm not as optimistic as Ginny," she sighed, nuzzling his right hand with her cheek. "I don't see how anything good can come of this."

"I don't know," said Harry honestly. "The hat did finish with advice on how to win...it's on our side...I think."

"And I thought we were going to have enough to do with horcruxes," sighed Hermione, leaning back into Harry.

"There's always something," he laughed, wrapping his arms around her body. "But we'll get through it."

"Together," smiled Hermione, taking his hand in hers.

"Together," he echoed. She turned to look at him and he had the fleeting notion to kiss her when a movement on the grounds caught his eye. "What's that?"

Hermione turned to look and squinted through the glass.

"Where?" she asked.

"By the forest,"said Harry. There was something hunched over, moving at a slow pace towards the school. Brow furrowed, his drew his wand and pointed it at the staircase leading to the boys' dormitory. "Accio Marauder's Map."

The parchment whizzed into his outstretched hand a moment later and he quickly tapped it with his wand, uttering the incantation.

"There," he said pointing to a dot on the grounds, moving slowly. "What the...?"

The dot had no label.

"We need to get down there," said Harry, backing towards the portrait hole. "Get Ron."

Hermione nodded and flew up the stairs, returning a moment later with Ron, who looked grumpy but alert.

"Let's go," said Harry, leading them out of the common room with his wand drawn.

They sprinted down to the Entrance Hall and stood by the doors for a moment before opening them a crack.

From where he was standing, the figure looked to be a human, crawling towards them, one arm dangling limply at its side. Harry was about to go out to aid the person, when the figure collapsed not far from the doors, hitting the ground with a dull thud.

"Come on," said Harry, leading the way out onto the grounds. "Lumos."

They reached the body quickly, the light from Harry's wand revealing that the person had sustained many injuries...the hooded cloak was torn and bloodied, and the arm that had been hanging limply was bent grotesquely in different directions.

"Get help," Harry instructed Ron. Ron nodded and sprinted off towards the headmistress' quarters. "We need to see who it is," he said to Hermione.

She nodded and doing his best not to further the injuries to the person, used his wand to turn the body over.

Hermione gasped.

"Harry..." she breathed. "It's Draco."

---------------

::Hums innocently whilst angry mobs sharpen rocks::

You like? Let me know! And I promise to make an effort to write the next chapter faster, with or without reviews. Until next time!