Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

I am SO sorry it's taken me so long to update. Unexpected things happened during my vacation that
subsequently occupied a large portion of my free time when I returned, resulting in my tardiness. My
most abject and humble apologies.

And, of course, my apologies for not responding to reviews. I felt that it would take up time I didn't
have. You can expect replies as always for this chapter's reviews.

That being said, I hope you enjoy this chapter!

(Oh, and for the record, the little 'what language is this' part in last chapter's author's note was, in fact, a written language called l337 or LEET, which is short for Elite. If you don't know, don't ask.)

---------------

Chapter 9: Vindicus Omnis Auctoria

Harry tiredly pinched the bridge of his nose and tried to not fall asleep on the textbook he was supposed to be reading. He, Ron, and Hermione had been looking non-stop for any information on either horcruxes or the story that Slughorn had told him, and the threat from Voldemort's side was still hanging heavily over all of their heads.

"This is so bloody frustrating!" exclaimed Hermione, slamming her book closed. "Sorry," she mouthed to Madam Pince as the librarian looked up from her desk sternly. "Two weeks and not even a hint," she sighed, turning back to Harry and Ron.

"Maybe we haven't been looking in the right place," mumbled Ron sleepily.

"Where else could we look?" asked Hermione, pulling out the sheet of parchment she had the runes from the stone bracelet inscribed on. "It's all holes or dead-ends."

Harry looked out the window and sighed. The sun had long since set and he had the feeling that the only reason Pince hadn't kicked them out was because she had a inkling of what was going on.

"I'm going for a walk," he said, standing up.

"Harry..." said Hermione carefully as he began packing up his things. "I'm not sure that's a good idea what with the threat and everything..."

"Not on the grounds," replied Harry. "I just need some air."

Hermione bit her lower lip in thought and Harry had to resist the urge to grab her hand and take her off to some broom closet. Finally, she nodded and he left the library, not looking back for fear of changing his mind.

Silently, Harry made his way towards the Astronomy Tower, thankful for not encountering anyone on his way. Reaching the top of the stairs, he opened the door and was met with a cool breeze. Smiling a sad smile, he walked out onto the terrace and closed the door behind him, the memories of what had happened merely feet from where he was standing flooding his mind.

He stood quietly for a while, breathing in the night air and wondering where Dumbledore was now...his mentor had always said that death was only an adventure...there had to be something more after one died.

Harry walked over to the edge of the tower and rested his hands on one of the ramparts. In the far, far distance he thought he could see a tiny speckle of green, signifying another attack.

"I thought you might be up here," a soft voice said from behind him. Harry didn't even have to turn around to know who it was.

"You know me better than anyone else," he sighed as Hermione came up beside him. "Tired of studying and searching?"

"I never thought I'd answer yes to that question, but yes," replied Hermione, looking into the distance with him. "Is that what I think it is?" she asked, in reference to the slight green sparkle.

"Probably," said Harry despondently, turning around and sitting down, resting his back on the rampart. Hermione sat down next to him, looking at him for a moment.

"There's something else, isn't there?" she asked.

"I haven't been up here since it happened," said Harry with a frown. "Now that I'm here...I can't really believe that he died here."

"I still have trouble believing that he's actually gone," admitted Hermione. "It feels like he's still out there...just biding his time, waiting to make that grand return." Harry couldn't help but think about the words Hagrid had said before his first year when they were talking about Voldemort. "But of course that's silly."

"Have you seen Hagrid yet?" asked Harry, suddenly realising that he hadn't even seen their half-giant friend since the Start-of-Term Feast.

"No," replied Hermione thoughtfully after a moment. "Maybe we should go and see how he's doing soon."

"It'd probably be a good idea," sighed Harry. "Might do well to know how that brother of his is doing."

"Hopefully better than when we ran into him the last time," chuckled Hermione.

Neither of them said anything for a while, Hermione had laced her fingers with Harry's and they sat in comfortable silence until Hermione spoke up.

"I went to the Hospital Ward yesterday," she said. "Madam Pomfrey thinks Draco will be awake soon...maybe by week's end."

"Good," said Harry. "I want to interrogate the piss out of that bastard."

"They probably won't let you do that, you know," replied Hermione. "Probably bring Lupin or someone like him in to do it."

"Yeah, it's disheartening," smiled Harry, giving her hand a squeeze. "I guess we should get downstairs...it's getting - OW!"

"What is it?" asked Hermione.

"I don't know," replied Harry, holding his left hand. "I put my hand down on the stone to get up and something dug into it."

"What was it?" she asked.

"I don't know," said Harry again, looking at the spot where he had put his hand. "There's nothing here..."

Slowly, Harry ran his hand over the flat stone trying to figure out what had hurt him. He was about to shrug it off and get up when he touched something that he couldn't see. Brow furrowed, he pulled out his wand.

"Specialis Revelio," said Harry. His eyes grew large as a diamond the size and shape of a marble appeared, with a small piece of parchment under it.

"What is it?" asked Hermione, leaning over to get a look.

"I don't know," replied Harry, picking up the spherical gem and the paper under it. "Here."

He handed the parchment to Hermione so he could study the stone in his hand. It certainly seemed flawless...Harry briefly pondered why anyone would leave a diamond of this size and quality just laying about when Hermione gasped.

"What?" asked Harry, looking at her.

"Harry...this...look," she said, handing the scrap of paper to him.

Curiously, he took it from her hand and looked down at the three words written.

Vindicus Omnis Auctoria

"What does it mean?" asked Harry.

"I don't know," replied Hermione. "But look at the handwriting."

Harry peered over the bridge of his glasses to get a better look at the words in the dim light from the moon, and his heart nearly skipped a beat when he recognised the hauntingly familiar loopy scrawl.

"Dumbledore..." he breathed.

"Yeah," replied Hermione. "Maybe he dropped it when Snape killed him or something."

"Why would he be carrying around a cloaked object though?" asked Harry, more to himself than to Hermione.

"I don't know...but we should certainly investigate this...I'll go back down to the library and see if they have anything -"

"Hermione," interrupted Harry, squeezing her hand gently.

"What?" she asked in a rushed tone of voice.

"Tomorrow," he smiled. "We both need some rest."

"But this is really important -"

"And your well-being is important to me," said Harry, putting his index finger to her lips. "It can wait."

"Alright," sighed Hermione after a moment. "But first thing in the morning I'm heading to the library."

"That's better," he smiled, pocketing the diamond. "Now let's get going."

Hermione smiled and stood up, Harry following behind her. At the door to the stairs though, he stopped and turned around. Silently, Harry gazed at the spot where a great friend and mentor had died, wondering what would come of what he had found.

=====

"Did you find anything?" asked Harry as Hermione sat down next to him for lunch. They hadn't had time to discuss anything during Defense Against the Dark Arts and Hermione had to run to an Arithmancy class right after that.

"Actually," she whispered. "Yes. It's not very promising, but it's something."

"What is it?" asked Ron. Harry had told Ron about what he had found the previous night during their free period (which they had spent in the library looking for information on dark objects).

"Like I said it's not much," said Hermione, pulling out a leaf of parchment from her robes. "We can research this a little at least."

Harry took the piece of paper from her and read it aloud in a soft voice so that Ron could hear him.

"A series of spells were invented in the early seventh century to help keep vassals bound to their master," he read. "Dubbed the Auctorium, they each varied in power and purpose but the ultimate goal was to give the caster enough power to bind and/or unite two or more persons or items to something."

"I checked up on those spells, and only two were listed," said Hermione when Harry finished. "And they're nothing close to what's written on the piece of paper you found, Harry."

"What's going on?" asked Ginny inquisitively sitting down next to them, Luna following up behind her and taking a seat next to Ron.

"We can't really explain it in detail here, but Ron and I have a free period next Ginny, so if you're available -"

"We are," said Luna, helping herself to some steak and kidney pie. "Free period for both of us."

"Alright," said Harry. "We'll explain it then."

"In the meantime," said Hermione, "you should look and see if you can find out anything about that diamond. Run some passive detection spells on it, see if it's enchanted or anything."

"You don't think that's dangerous?" asked Harry.

"That's why I said passive," said Hermione, rolling her eyes. "You know, don't blow it up or anything."

"I think I got the idea," smiled Harry.

Lunch passed quickly, and soon enough Hermione was departing for her Arithmancy class, bidding the other four of them good luck. Harry was just about to stand when he saw Neville get up out of the corner of his eye.

"Oy! Nev!" he yelled waving his hand in the air. Neville looked around for a moment before seeing him, and walked over.

"Hey Harry...hi Ginny," he said in a slightly subdued voice.

"What do you have next period?" asked Harry, fully intent on letting Neville come with them.

"Care of Magical Creatures," he said warily. "Hasn't been so bad lately," he added, answering the unasked question.

"I didn't know you were taking that class," said Harry. "Last year too?"

"Yeah..." replied Neville hesitantly as though he didn't want to rehash memories of the classes.

"Why don't we follow you down for a quick visit," said Harry, getting up.

"Sure," said Neville, appearing grateful for the company. Ron, Luna, and Ginny all got up and followed Harry and Neville out onto the grounds.

"Nice day," remarked Harry, looking up at the cloudless sky.

"Yeah," replied Neville.

"We've made some progress," said Harry, still looking up. "We're about to go have a study session, and I was going to invite you to come along..."

"But I have class," finished Neville. "S'alright."

"I want to include you in this Nev," said Harry seriously. Glancing behind him to make sure Ginny was out of earshot, he leaned over slightly. "And Ginny could probably use the company," he said softly.

"I still don't know why you think she feels the same way," muttered Neville warily.

"Nev, let me ask you something," said Harry after a moment.

"Alright."

"What are you afraid of?"

Neville let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

"Dunno, really," he said with a shrug. "That she'd say no, I guess."

"So you wouldn't be with her," said Harry pointedly. "You're not with her right now, so what would change?"

"It'd be awkward," answered Neville. "I can't help but feel she'd give me that 'are you quite sodding serious' look that girls use." Harry laughed.

"You're putting too much pressure on yourself, mate," he said, clapping him on the shoulder. "Where's that Gryffindor courage?"

"At the bottom of the lake with the giant squid," muttered Neville.

"In all seriousness, Nev, you need to talk to her," said Harry. "Because Ginny is neither unattractive nor blind. She will find someone else if you don't take that spot soon."

"You really think I have a legitimate chance?" asked Neville, looking sideways at Harry.

"I do," he nodded as they reached Hagrid's hut. "And I think you should take advantage of it."

"'Arry!" a familiar booming voice called out to them.

"Hey Hagrid," said Harry with a smile as Fang the boarhound came galloping up to him.

"'Bin wonderin' if you'd come down ta say hi to yer old friend," said the half-giant with a smile.

"We'll we've all been a bit busy," said Harry sheepishly.

"Not ter worry," said Hagrid, clapping him on the shoulder. "An' how are you three?" he asked, smiling at Ron, Luna, and Ginny.

"Good," they all replied at once.

"How's your brother?" asked Ginny.

"Oh he's loads better," smiled Hagrid. "Taught himself to make fire outta rocks and sticks, he did."

Harry shared a worried glance with Ron at the idea of Grawp being able to set the forest on fire.

"I dun suppose you lot are stayin' fer me class?" asked Hagrid hopefully.

"Actually we can't," said Harry, causing Hagrid's smile to falter slightly. "But we did want to say hi before we started working."

"O' course, o' course," nodded Hagrid. "Well, if you ever want, my door's always open."

"Thanks," nodded Harry. "We'll see you, Nev."

"Bye guys," he said, waving at them. Harry swore that he saw Neville lock eyes with Ginny for a second before turning away and walking towards the pumpkin patch after Hagrid.

"Shall we be going then?" asked Luna, breaking the short silence.

"Yeah," said Harry, turning back towards the castle.

They walked up to the library in silence, the only sound made was the shuffling of their feet along the stone floors. When they did arrive, the four of them made their way to the back of the room towards an empty table.

"So," said Ginny once they were are seated. "What's going on?"

Harry and Ron quickly related the stories that McGonagal and Slughorn had told, and after a few moments Ginny and Luna were caught up to speed.

"So what was Hermione talking about when we sat down?" asked Luna.

"I was at the top of the Astronomy Tower last night with Hermione," said Harry. "And I found...why are you staring at me like that?" Ginny's eyes had widened at this.

"Mate," said Ron with a small smile. "Think about what you just said."

"I said that Hermione and I were on top of the Astronomy Tower, and...oh," Harry blushed deeply. "We weren't doing that, just to clarify."

Ginny giggled and nodded at him to continue.

"Anyway," said Harry taking a breath. "Long story short, I found this -" he placed the diamond on the table, earning a gasp from Ginny and Luna, "and this," he held up the scrap of parchment.

"What does it say?" asked Luna as Ginny picked up the diamond and appraised it.

"You tell me," replied Harry, handing the paper to Luna.

"Vindicus Omnis Auctoria..." she muttered. "It sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it..."

"Hermione did a little research on the matter," said Harry, producing the sheaf of parchment Hermione had given him earlier and laying it flat on the table. Ginny handed the diamond to Luna and began to read the piece of paper.

"So this is all we know?" asked Ginny, putting the paper back on the table once she had finished.

"Yeah," said Ron, leaning back. "Bunch of dead ends, really."

"I overheard Hermione saying something about passive detection spells?" asked Luna, placing the diamond on the table.

"She suggested that we try and find out if this is anything special," replied Harry, picking up the gem between his index finger and thumb.

"Well I know a few good ones," said Luna, pulling out her wand. "Daddy taught them to me when I was younger and we were looking for smaller mystical creatures."

"Nothing too powerful, now," said Harry, handing her the diamond. "We don't want anyone getting hurt."

"Of...course," said Luna with a smile, though Harry thought he could see a flicker of hesitation in her eyes. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ron take her hand and mouth, "It's alright," to her. Luna nodded almost imperceptibly and put the gem on the table.

"Invenus," she said softly, pointing her wand at the diamond. Nothing happened.

"What was that?" asked Ron.

"That was to see if there were any physical attributes hidden," sighed Luna. "I guess it'd make more sense to look for magical ones?"

"If you would," smiled Harry encouragingly. Luna nodded and again raised her wand.

"Perificio," she said, her voice shaking slightly. For a moment, nothing happened again, and Harry was about to speak when a streaming silver light began to emanate from the diamond and swirl around it in a silky mist.

"Oh my," gasped Ginny, backing away from the soft glow.

"What does it mean?" asked Harry, leaning in to get a better look.

"Nothing yet," said Luna, looking on in marvel. "Wait a few seconds."

Harry watched on as the swirls began to converge around themselves and take shape. Slowly, they began to form lines, which in turn became shapes, and proceeded to become...

"Runes," said Ron, as the light stopped emanating from the diamond.

Sure enough, twelve runes had appeared above the gem, and were now floating above it.

"Blimey, Harry," said Ron, his jaw dropping slightly. "Those are the same runes that are on the bracelet."

Harry looked over to Ron and then back at the symbols which were forming a circular band. Sure enough, they seemed to match the ones that were etched into the stone circlet.

"Hermione needs to know about this," said Harry after a moment. "She'll be able to make more sense of this than we can."

Ron, Ginny, and Luna all nodded slightly in assent.

"For now, can you make these disappear, Luna?" asked Harry. "We don't want anyone to come across this who shouldn't."

"Of course," the blond nodded. With a quick wave of her wand the mist disappeared and all that was left was the diamond, and the small piece of parchment with the spell.

"Does it bother anyone else that all this is happening at the same time?" asked Ginny after a moment. "I mean, first the Sorting Hat, then all these...legends...then a piece of parchment with Dumbledore's handwriting and a magical diamond appear where he was killed."

"Yeah...seems too strange to be coincidence, doesn't it?"

The four students could do nothing but sit and nod while wondering just what in the world was going on.

=====

"What?!" exclaimed Hermione, startling some of the younger students in the common room.

"Shhhh," hissed Ron, looking around quickly to make sure everyone went back to their business.

"Sorry," whispered Hermione. "But are you serious?"

"Quite," said Harry in a low voice.

"So what does all this mean?" she asked, more to herself than to Harry and Ron.

"That's what we were hoping you'd be able to answer for us," said Ron sullenly. Hermione sighed and leaned back against the couch.

"Well...I think we're going to have to experiment on the bracelet," she said after a moment. "It's the source of everything we've found, we need to perform some tests on it."

"You think McGonagal will let us?" asked Ron.

"She'll have to," said Hermione, getting up. "We have too much evidence to ignore."

"Now?" asked Harry, as she stared at him and Ron impatiently. "It's half past eleven."

"Ron's a prefect, and we're Head Boy and Girl," said Hermione pointedly. "We can't get in trouble."

"Famous last words," muttered Ron as he and Harry stood up and followed Hermione out of the portrait hole.

"What do you think we'll find?" asked Harry as they climbed the steps to McGonagal's office a few minutes later.

"Who knows?" shrugged Hermione. "At this point, anything is good."

Hermione knocked on the wooden door to the office, and there was silence for a moment before McGonagal's voice said, "Come in."

The three of them stepped inside and were surprised to see the headmistress sitting in an armchair by the fire, apparently lost in thought.

"Er...professor?" asked Hermione tentatively.

"Hmm?" asked McGonagal, turning to look at them. "Oh...a bit late for you three to be up here, isn't it?"

"Yes, but we need to ask you for a favor," said Hermione, not wasting any time.

"Oh?" asked McGonagal with a slight smile. "Found something already?"

"Yes..." replied Hermione with a little bit of hesitation. "Professor...are you alright?"

"I'm quite alright," said McGonagal standing. "I wonder how Albus managed to run this school so smoothly sometimes...it is really unlike any task I've ever taken on before. Some days are harder than others...I was just reminiscing when you came in."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione nodded silently at this, unsure of what to say to that.

"But you wanted to ask a favor?" asked McGonagal, brining them back to their senses.

"Yes," said Hermione, stepping forward. "We need to experiment on the bracelet." There was silence for a moment while McGonagal peered over her spectacles appraisingly at Hermione.

"You have never been one to show blatant disregard for safety procedures, Miss Granger," she said at last. "I trust that if you plan on casting spells on the bracelet, you have already taken into account the risks of what might happen if you are wrong."

"I have," said Hermione. "That, and we've pretty much dead-ended everywhere else."

"Well then," said McGonagal, sitting down behind her desk. "Tell me what you know."

Hermione spent the next twenty minutes explaining everything to McGonagal, with help from Ron and Harry whenever needed. When they were done McGonagal sighed heavily.

"May I see this parchment?" she asked. Harry nodded and dug into his robes, pulling out the scrap of paper on which the spell was written. He handed it to McGonagal and she studied it carefully for a few moments before placing it on her desk. "The auctorium," she said with a frown. "I imagine you found very limited information on those spells, Miss Granger."

"Almost nothing," said Hermione with a nod. "And certainly nothing relating to that particular spell."

"Yes," sighed McGonagal. "The auctorium, like horcruxes, are a banned subject at Hogwarts. Part of me is surprised you found anything at all, but then again, you aren't the brightest witch of your generation for nothing."

Hermione blushed pink at the compliment.

"The Auctorium did much more than bind magic," she said slowly. "They amplified it...gave the wielder power."

"How?" asked Hermione.

"By draining energy from those who were bound," said McGonagal. "The spells were especially popular among power-hungry warmongers, who would bind servants using the spells then drain all their energy from them, giving them enough power to level buildings but killing those bound in the process." She paused for a moment. "It would not surprise me if Lord Voldemort were to be using some form of one of the spells to bind his death eaters to him."

"So do you know what that spell does?" asked Hermione.

"No," said McGonagal after a moment. "But I know someone who does."

"Who?" asked Ron.

McGonagal smiled at him and looked up to her right, directly at the portrait of a currently snoozing Albus Dumbledore.

"Albus?" she asked gently. The old wizard in the painting blinked his eyes open and yawned before smiling.

"Ah...Minerva, how can I help you?" he asked.

"Might you be able to tell me what this spell does?" she asked, holding the parchment up to his portrait.

"Ah yes," said Albus after a moment. "I seem to remember that spell being a catalyst for something...a key of sorts."

"What is it a key to?" asked McGonagal.

"I know not," he sighed. "It was merely something I was researching while I was still alive.

"Thank you Albus," said McGonagal with a smile.

"Anytime," smiled Albus before falling back asleep.

"Er...Professor?" asked Hermione. "That wasn't really Professor Dumbledore, was it?"

"Of course not," said McGonagal, sitting back down behind her desk. "But those portraits are put up here for a reason. Every single one of them contains the knowledge that the person depicted in them had during their life."

"Who paints them anyway?" asked Ron.

"There are painters who each headmaster and headmistress trusts," shrugged McGonagal. "But if what you are asking me, Mister Weasley, is how the information gets there, the answer is that a recording spell of sorts is put on the canvas when it is blank. The life experiences of the one painted are recorded into the painting, and when that person dies, the painting is put up along the wall."

"So...have you already had your portrait done?" asked Hermione, intrigued.

"Naturally," nodded McGonagal. "Would you like to see it?"

"Sure," the three students replied. McGonagal walked over to a locked cupboard, and with a wave of her wand, the doors opened to reveal a very life-like, but very inanimate painting of herself.

"It won't become active until I pass away," said McGonagal, closing the doors and locking them again. "Quite a nifty bit of spellwork, if I do say so myself."

"That's amazing," smiled Hermione.

"Indeed it is," said McGonagal. "But now then I think we should return to the business at hand." She opened a drawer in her desk and removed the bracelet. "I would like to make it known that I'm not happy with what you're about to do...but under the circumstances, I don't see much of a choice." She handed the bracelet to Hermione. "I trust your judgement, Miss Granger."

"Thank you," nodded Hermione. "Put it on, Harry."

"How?" he asked, looking at the stone circlet. "It's too small."

"Just try," said Hermione, handing it to him. Shrugging, he took it from her and moved to slide his right hand through the hole.

To his amazement, his hand didn't even touch the stone. It was as if his hand and wrist shrunk to accommodate the bracelet and then returning to their normal proportions. He slid the circlet onto his wrist, and it sized itself accordingly for a snug fit.

"Well...that worked out alright," he said, holding his arm up so he could look at it better.

"Can you take it off?" asked Hermione. Harry shrugged and removed the bracelet as easily as he put it on.

"I guess so," he said.

"Let me try," said Ron. Harry handed the bracelet to Ron, who attempted to put it on his wrist, but failed. "Doesn't fit."

"Well now," said Harry, as he got the bracelet back. "Isn't that comforting."

"I guess only you can wear it," said Hermione with a sigh. "Can I see the diamond, Harry?" Harry took the diamond from his robes and handed it to her. "Put the bracelet back on."

He did as was asked and watched in astonishment as the three runes on the underside of the bracelet glowed silver when Hermione held the diamond near him.

"The rune of light," said Hermione, pointing to the middle one. "Cast the spell, Harry."

"What?" he asked, suddenly slightly nervous.

"The spell," repeated Hermione. "Cast it."

"On what?" he asked. "The bracelet?"

"I don't think it'll matter," she said. "Just hold out your wand and say the words."

"Are you sure about this?" asked Ron, voicing Harry's thoughts. Hermione bit her lower lip and looked at Harry.

"Do you have an objection, Professor?" she asked.

"As I said earlier, I'm not a large fan of these actions," repeated McGonagal. "But I still trust your judgement." Hermione nodded.

"Do you trust me, Harry?" she asked in a soft voice, looking at him in the eyes.

"With my life," replied Harry, relaxing slightly.

"I don't like this any more than you do," she said, grasping his left hand. "But I think it's the only way."

Harry nodded and drew his wand.

"If I die here, and never get to kiss you," he whispered into her ear. "I'm going to be very upset with you."

Hermione smiled at him.

"I'll be very upset with me too," she whispered back, kissing him on the cheek. "Good luck."

"Thanks," nodded Harry.

"Be careful, mate," said Ron, backing away slightly. Harry sighed and raised his wand. Looking at Hermione he smiled and nodded once.

"Vindicus Omnis Auctoria," he spoke clearly.

A strange tingling sensation started building deep in Harry's center, quickly working its way outward. Looking down he saw the bracelet on his right wrist glowing a gentle golden color. Suddenly he felt as though the bracelet was connected to him, as if it was a part of his body. He was about to open his mouth to speak when a voice spoke out.

"I have been waiting for you, Chosen One."

"I'm sorry?" asked Harry.

"It has been far too long," said the voice gently. "There is an imbalance of the forces in the world. Together, we will overcome that imbalance."

"Who are you?" asked Harry.

"The bracelet, of course."

Harry looked down at his wrist and saw it was still glowing a golden color. Amused laughter sounded out and Harry was startled to see the glow fluctuate in power with each laugh.

"Surprised?" asked the bracelet. "You shouldn't be. After all, I'm not the first inanimate object that can speak that you've come across."

"The Sorting Hat," said Harry. "Are you two...related?"

"Related is an overstatement," said the bracelet. "Our intelligence was created by the same person, but that is all."

"Who created you?" asked Harry. There was silence for several seconds before the voice spoke again.

"At this time, it is not my place to tell you that."

"So why are you here?" asked Harry.

"I'm here because you put me on your wrist," the bracelet said. "The more appropriate question would be why am I here."

"Er...okay," said Harry.

"I am here to begin your quest," said the voice.

"...okay?" said Harry, confused.

"You will travel east to a place called the Hall of Reflection," the bracelet said. "There you will find the Pillar of Light, and your next destination."

"Alright," said Harry, nodding. "And after that?"

"I am only here to give you the book," said the bracelet. "You must be the one to fill its pages."

Harry nodded in understanding.

"Good luck, Harry Potter. May the light guide your hand."

The tingling sensation stopped, and the light faded from the bracelet. Breathing hard, he looked around at Ron, Hermione, and McGonagal who were all watching him with intense interest.

"So what happened?" asked Ron

"I have to go east," said Harry, taking the bracelet off. "To the Hall of Reflection."

"Harry...that place was destroyed three centuries ago," said Hermione arching an eyebrow at him.

"Well, I have to go there," he said. "The bracelet said so."

"The bracelet?" asked McGonagal. "It spoke to you?"

"Like the Sorting Hat," explained Harry.

"Well...at least we have a lead now," said Hermione thoughtfully.

Harry was about to ask if Hermione knew where this place was supposed to be when a knock came at the office door.

"Come in," said McGonagal. The door opened to reveal Madam Pomfrey.

"Headmistress....Potter, Weasley, Granger," acknowledged the nurse. "I have news."

"Yes?" asked McGonagal.

"Draco is awake," she said simply.

"Excellent, let us head down there now," said McGonagal, standing up.

"There is one thing you should know," said Madam Pomfrey.

"Yes, Poppy?" asked McGonagal.

"He's demanding to speak to Potter."

"Me?" asked Harry.

"Yes," replied the nurse as they exited the office.

"Did he say what he wanted?" asked Hermione as they walked through the corridors towards the Hospital Wing.

"Only that he had to see Harry alone," said Pomfrey.

They arrived at the ward in very little time, and after determining that Draco was stable, Pomfrey stood aside to let Harry next to the bed.

"Try not to get him agitated," the nurse said fussily. "It'll only worsen his condition."

"Alright," said Harry, looking down at his bruised nemesis. He could hear Hermione, Ron, McGonagal, and Pomfrey leave the ward behind him.

"Are they gone?" asked Draco weakly.

"Yeah," said Harry, sitting down on a chair next to the bed. "I was told you wanted to speak with me?"

"Trust me Potter, there is nothing I want to do less than speak with you," he coughed, groaning when he was done. "But I don't have a choice."

"Why?" asked Harry.

"Because he turned his back on me," muttered Draco, grimacing in pain.

"Voldemort?" asked Harry.

"No," coughed Draco. "My father."

"What?" asked Harry, taken aback. "Why?"

"To gain favor with the Dark Lord," he muttered.

"Why don't you tell me what happened," said Harry.

"Before I do, I need something from you," said Draco, a little stronger.

"What?" asked Harry.

"Protection," replied Draco.

"From Voldemort?" asked Harry.

"No," he replied. "From the Ministry." Harry raised an eyebrow at him. "I don't want to go to Azkaban for what happened last year."

"I assure you, that if the information you give me helps bring down Lord Voldemort, you'll be safe from Azkaban," said Harry.

"Yes, well if that doesn't happen," coughed Draco. "I want your personal assurance that you'll get me out of the country when this is all over."

"My word suddenly means something to you?" asked Harry, crossing his arms.

"You're too soft for your own good, Potter," said Draco with a lopsided grin. "You're the only person left who would even consider helping me."

"Fair enough," said Harry. "I give you my word."

"And somehow I already regret this decision," chuckled Draco.

"So what happened?" asked Harry.

"I had just finished an assignment," said Draco, closing his eyes. "I had arrived back at the hideout and was going to retire to my room so I could sleep, when I noticed that one of the doors that was always kept closed was ajar."

"So you went to investigate," said Harry.

"Curiosity killed the kneazle," chuckle Draco. "It was an empty room, save for a cupboard at the far end."

"What was in it?" asked Harry.

"A pensieve," said Draco. "His pensieve."

"Voldemort keeps a record of his thoughts?" asked Harry. "Forgive me if I sound skeptical."

"I'm only telling you what I saw," said Draco. "Anyway my father found me looking in it and turned me in to the Dark Lord."

"He didn't kill you on the spot?" asked Harry with a raised eyebrow.

"No, because I managed to perform some very quality Occlumency he only thought I was snooping around...he tortured me and threw me in a dungeon cell," sighed Draco. "Hence all my injuries. I always keep a second wand hidden on my body...I escaped and ran."

"And you came here," finished Harry. Draco nodded. "If he wasn't going to kill you, why run?"

"Because of what I saw...because I knew I was in too deep."

"What did you see?" asked Harry.

"I wasn't stupid enough to stick my head in the pensieve," said Draco. "But I did see a memory floating on the surface."

"What was it?"

"A teacup belonging to Helga Hufflepuff."

---------------

No complaining! Lol. I will explain in NEXT chapter how Draco knows that the teacup is significant, so you don't need to bring that up. One other thing...in my story, Neville takes Care of Magical Creatures. In Book 6, he's only taking Herbology, DADA, and Charms. I find it highly unlikely that he'd only take three courses all year, so I added this one.

Once again, I want to apologise for the one-month delay between updates. I pray it will never happen again.

And remember, throw a review or two my way!