Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

Alright. Total counts have been done, and this story will end at 26 chapters. For right now though, enjoy #21!

(There's another good quote in this chapter from a famous movie, but its much harder to find than the last one.) ::wink::

---------------

Chapter 21: A Deep Breath

"What do you suppose she wants?" asked Hermione as she and Harry walked towards McGonagal's tent.

"I doubt it's anything good," he sighed, the Sword of Gryffindor swaying from his belt.

"You should try to be a little more positive," suggested Hermione. "After all, you are the person most of the students look up to, so when you're being pessimistic it lowers morale."

Harry turned and looked at her, a look on his face that suggested he was trying not to laugh.

"Oh don't give me that," said Hermione, swatting him on the arm. "You know it's true."

"Yes, dear."

They entered McGonagal's tent to see her and Moody sitting at the desk, discussing something quietly.

"You asked for us?" asked Harry.

"Ah yes," said McGonagal, standing up. "Thank you Alastor, that will be all."

Moody grunted and stood up, giving Harry almost a look of regret as he left.

"What was that about?" whispered Hermione in Harry's ear.

"There's something I need to discuss with you two," said McGonagal, motioning for them to sit down. "I've already talked about it with some of the other Order members, and while no one is really fond of the idea, we all agree on the necessity of it."

"And that is?" asked Harry.

"We just received this today," said McGonagal, dropping a large report on the desk in front of them.

"This is..." said Hermione, her eyes growing wide as she and Harry read the report, detailing the movements of some two thousand death eaters converging on Hogwarts.

"Yes, I don't like it either," said McGonagal.

"Who submitted this?" asked Harry.

"Kingsley," replied McGonagal. "Apparently he was recalled from his job in the muggle Ministry and has been giving detailed updates to Scrimgeour about our situation, who at least seems to be trying to make an effort to help us."

"Glad to hear he's holding up his end of the deal then," said Harry.

"As you know Voldemort has at least fifteen hundred troops in the castle alone," continued McGonagal. "And given this new information, we have to push up our timetable."

"I agree," said Harry. "We wouldn't stand a chance against thirty five hundred."

"Which is why we're going to recruit the students to help in the attack."

Harry and Hermione both looked up at McGonagal at these words.

"I'm sorry?" asked Harry.

"I'm afraid we don't have much choice," said McGonagal. "The Ministry can have a hundred aurors here by the time the battle starts, but that won't be enough. We need more bodies to mount any kind of attack."

"And why can't we wait for Remus?" asked Harry.

"Remus did make contact earlier today," said McGonagal. "And he has been successful. But it will take him at least two days to make it here with the reinforcements because they're muggles. By that time Voldemort could have his entire army here."

"How do you expect to win against fifteen hundred without reinforcements?" asked Hermione. "If one hundred wont do anything, three hundred certainly wont make a difference."

"That's where we come into play."

Harry and Hermione turned to see Fred and George making their way into the tent.

"We secured the order," said George, handing McGonagal a paper. "There's a bit of a problem though."

"Yes?" asked McGonagal.

"It was too short notice to get any automatics, so we have to deal with refurbished M1's," replied Fred. "Granted, they'll still give us more of an advantage than Voldemort could ever prepare for -"

"Wait, wait," said Hermione. "Guns?"

"Has it really come to this?" asked Harry quietly.

"I'm afraid so," replied McGonagal. "It's the only chance we have."

"It won't do much good once Voldemort realises what's going on," said Harry.

"That's right," nodded Hermione. "There are plenty of shields that can stop bullets."

"Which is why we're going to set up anti-magic repeaters," said McGonagal. "With a modified version of the Protean Charm, we'll be able to activate them all at once after our initial wave of curses...Voldemort won't know what hit him."

"I'm still wary of it," said Harry. "We're outnumbered five to one...and I'm sure with enough time Voldemort could find a way to knock down the repeaters."

"That's a chance we're going to have to take," said McGonagal. "Fred, George, you'll be getting the rifles tomorrow?"

"Yeah," replied Fred. "Our supplier is on the continent too, so there's no chance we'll be tipping our hand."

"Good," said McGonagal. "Harry, the students look up to you the most, so tomorrow morning you will be conducting the enlisting with Hermione."

"Alright," said Harry resignedly.

"Everyone will be required to undergo a basic aptitude test to determine whether they are competent enough to shoot a gun," said McGonagal. "While that is happening, final battle plans will be formulated, after which a final strategy session will held. We will commence the attack afterwards. Are there any questions?"

"No," said Harry quietly.

"Dismissed, then."

"I had hoped it wouldn't come to this," sighed Harry as they left the tent.

"You and me both," said Hermione. "Rifles...children shooting guns..."

Harry noticed a couple of the students glance in their direction as Hermione said that.

"We shouldn't talk about this here," said Harry.

They walked over to the tree they had taken to sleeping under and lay down, Hermione resting her head in Harry's lap.

"Why do I get the feeling that this battle is going to be a lot more violent and bloody than we had originally thought?" she asked.

"Because it's the truth," replied Harry, each of them drifting off to sleep not too much later.

=====

"I still don't care much for this idea," sighed Harry, levitating a table from one of the supply tents out into the main clearing.

"Neither do I," replied Hermione following behind him, carrying a stack of parchment as several students whispered and pointed at them. "But it'd be more cruel to not give the students the opportunity...and from the looks of it, word got out."

"I know," said Harry, setting down the table as Ron and Luna walked over to them.

"Hey guys," smiled Ron.

"Hi Ron," replied Hermione, returning the smile. "It's good to see you walking under your own power again, Luna."

"Thank you," said Luna. "It feels nice not to have to rely on those crutches anymore."

"You're not enlisting, are you?" asked Harry worriedly. He had told Ron and Luna earlier in the day about what was going to be happening shortly.

"I'm already in," said Ron. "Being part of the Order and all. I tried to talk her out of it but - "

"I will not have you out there fighting without me by your side," said Luna sternly. "And you know that."

"Luna, are you sure that's a good idea?" asked Hermione. "You can't possibly be at one hundred percent yet."

"I'm fine," said Luna.

"Luna, far be it for me to tell you what to do," said Harry. "But we're not recruiting people to be backup here. You'll be in the middle of it, taking shots just like everyone else."

"This is about more than just who lives and dies," said Luna. "It's about protecting a way of life. Our way of life. And I would rather die protecting it, than live not having it."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and sighed.

"Name and house on the parchment," said Harry with a sad smile. Luna took the quill that Hermione offered her and signed her name on top of the sheet that read '6th year'.

"We won't be assembling for another four hours," said Hermione. "The Order has to finalize plans before we can proceed."

"Do you need me with you guys?" asked Ron.

"It should be alright," said Harry. "Just keep helping around like you have been and you'll be fine."

"Okay, mate," nodded Ron. "We'll see you two later then."

Harry and Hermione nodded as Ron and Luna turned and walked away into the crowd of students that were starting to gather.

"I suppose we'd better get this started then," said Harry, conjuring two chairs for them to sit on behind the table.

"Alright," replied Hermione, laying out the sheets of parchment and quills.

"Sonorus," said Harry, pointing his wand at his throat. "Everybody! Can I have your attention please?"

The assembled students all turned towards him; several more could be seen hurrying over to the clearing from other parts of the camp.

"As most of you have probably heard by now, we need people to volunteer to help in the fight against Voldemort," said Harry. There were several cheers and fervent shouts at this. "Before we begin letting people enlist though, I need to clarify a few things." Everyone went quiet at this. "First and foremost, we are at war. We are going to be fighting perhaps the greatest battle in this war. By putting your name on this parchment, you are signing up to either kill, or be killed. There is no middle ground. If you're on the battlefield and not firing at our enemies, then you're in the way, which is worse than if you were back here helping the injured."

The silence of the crowd let Harry know everyone was paying close attention.

"There will be restrictions for the people we let sign up," he continued. "Everyone must undergo testing to be conducted immediately after enlistment ends, and if you fail will not be allowed to fight." There were a few murmurs at this. "This is purely a precautionary measure. It is so those of you who are too inexperienced don't get yourselves killed, and so that those of you who can hold your own but are younger than the norm can still fight. I would like to remind you that your safety is not guaranteed, and that if you put your name on this list, make sure you put your affairs in order in case the worst should happen. Are there any questions?"

"Will you be teaching us how to cast the Killing Curse?" a girl who Harry knew to be in fourth year asked.

"For tactical reasons, only those in ambush positions will be using magic, and only for the first minute of the battle," said Harry. "Thanks to Fred and George Weasley, we have acquired sufficient weapons to put up a good fight."

"Weapons?" someone asked.

"Rifles," clarified Harry. "If you are uncomfortable shooting a gun, please refrain from putting your name down. Is there anything else?"

When no one else said anything, Harry nodded.

"In that case, you may come forward in an orderly fashion and put your name and house down on the sheet of parchment that has your year on it. Quietus."

Harry sat down next to Hermione as the students came forward, putting their names on the respective lists one by one.

"Your mum won't be too pleased about this, you know," said Harry as Ginny came forward, Neville behind her.

"Well, too bad for her," said Ginny. "I'm not staying back here waiting to die while everyone else is out there fighting."

"You've certainly grown up," said Harry as Ginny signed her name.

"I'll take that as a compliment," smiled Ginny, as Neville came forward.

"Dean's already signed up, you know," said Harry as Neville penned his name. "So I suppose that's our entire dorm."

"Not quite," smiled Neville ruefully. "We still have one person to bring back."

"Seamus," nodded Harry. "We'll get him back, Nev."

"I know we will," smiled Neville, as he and Ginny walked off among the students.

Over the next hour, just about everyone from the camp signed up, only a few first and second years refraining from placing their names on the list. During the course of the enlistment, Fred and George had returned with dozens of crates filled with rifles and ammunition.

When everything was said and done, Moody appeared next to Harry and Hermione with a somber expression.

"I'll take it from here," he grunted.

Harry said nothing, he only stood and walked over to the head tent, Hermione following him, as Moody began shouting out instructions to the students.

"Ah, Potter," said McGonagal as they entered. "Everyone is signed up, then?"

"Yeah," sighed Harry. "Moody's out there doing the training now."

"Good," replied McGonagal as Harry took a seat next to Tonks, Hermione beside him.

"So it's just the seven of us then?" asked Hermione, looking around the room at herself, Harry, Tonks, Kingsley, the twins, and the Headmistress.

"Yes...just us," replied McGonagal. "But we should be able to formulate a battle plan without much difficulty."

"So where do we begin?" asked Tonks.

"This is a map of the grounds of Hogwarts," said McGonagal, laying down a map on the table. "Based on terrain alone, we should initiate the frontal contact from the direction of the main entrance to the north, allowing us flanking capabilities."

"And how do we plan on flanking them?" asked Kingsley. "The quidditch pitch is west of the main gate, and there's no cover in between the two."

"As a precaution, we managed to acquire some scopes on the spot today," said Fred. "If we could find a way to get some people to the stadium, they could act as snipers."

"How many scopes?" asked Harry.

"Thirty-five," replied George.

"That's good," replied Harry. "I think that under a disillusionment charm they might be able to get there undetected."

"I agree," nodded McGonagal. "I'll have Moody lead that team so he can see if there are any guards hidden underneath invisibility cloaks."

"Alright, now what about the south and east?" asked Hermione. "The lake is in the south, so we can't do anything there -"

"I disagree," said Harry. "Once the aurors arrive, even if it is before Remus gets back, we should be able to break some people off. We can try to scale the cliffs on the south edge of the school to mount a rescue...most of the death eaters will be fighting, and without them to worry about we should be able to detect any traps fairly easily."

"Agreed," said Kingsley. "And the aurors know that they'll be using rifles, so make sure to have some ready at the gates for them."

"And as for the east, we can use Hagrid's Hut and the Whomping Willow as cover," said Tonks. "They won't be able to rush against that tree without magic no matter how hard they try."

"Speaking of Hagrid," said Harry. "Where is he? I haven't seen him once in the camp since we arrived come to think of it."

"I didn't tell you?" asked McGonagal. "He's out in the forest getting Grawp ready for battle."

"That'll help immensely once the anti-magic barrier goes up," said Hermione thoughtfully.

"And it'll provide a good distraction for the rescue team," replied Harry. "I want to lead that, by the way."

"May I ask why?" asked McGonagal.

"I still happen to have a certain map that two individuals happened to bestow upon me a long time ago," said Harry, smiling at the twins.

"We knew that map belonged to you," grinned George, clapping Harry on the shoulder.

"Very well, Harry and Hermione will lead up the rescue team," said McGonagal. "Tonks, you have no problems with leading the east flank?"

"Not at all," replied Tonks.

"Very well," said McGonagal. "So, to summarize. Harry will initiate communications with Voldemort by bringing out Pettigrew and Nagini. After the first wave of curses have been cast, the repeaters will go up, and shots will be fired, Harry and the others with him going for cover in the forest. When the aurors arrive, all sides except the snipers will converge on the field while the rescue team goes for the castle. Any questions?"

"We should have shooters lined along the perimeter of the forest, using the trees for cover," Harry said. "It'll give us extra containment."

"Agreed," said McGonagal. "Once Moody finishes with the testing, we will assign groups and commence. You should all get some rest before that."

Harry and Hermione left the tent silently, not speaking a word to anyone as they walked a good ways into the woods.

"It'll be another three or so hours until they're finished," said Harry, sitting down against a tree. "I guess this is it, huh?"

"Yeah," replied Hermione, sitting in his lap. "It is."

"I wonder if it will go according to plan," sighed Harry, running a hand through his hair.

"Hopefully," replied Hermione.

Neither of them said anything for a little while, they just sat there, content to be with each other while the faint sounds of gunfire from the testing could be heard in the distance.

"Harry?" asked Hermione, turning around so she was now straddling him.

"Hmm?"

"I want to be honest with you about something."

"Go ahead," nodded Harry.

"If something happens to either of us, and I end up never knowing you in all the ways that matter, I'm going to regret it," she said sincerely. "I'm not pushing you to do anything you're not ready for, I just want you to know how I feel."

Harry thought about this for a moment.

"I feel the same way too," he admitted. "I just don't want it to be about the war, that's all."

"It's not about the war, it's about us," whispered Hermione. "May I ask you something?" Harry nodded. "If we weren't at war right now, do you think we'd still be waiting?"

"Of course not," replied Harry.

"See?" smiled Hermione. "It doesn't have to do with the war. It has to do with us."

"You're a bit randy, aren't you?" grinned Harry.

"Sod off," chastised Hermione, swatting at him. "I'm being serious."

"So am I," replied Harry, his eyes darkening as he leaned forward and kissed her passionately.

"No war," said Hermione against Harry's lips, as she undid the buttons on her shirt.

"Just us," replied Harry, taking his wand from his pocket and waving once, causing all their clothes to vanish.

"You're a right git," jumped Hermione. "That startled the shite out of me."

"You loved it," smiled Harry, kissing her again. "You're beautiful, you know that?"

"You're not too bad yourself," chuckled Hermione as their passion finally took over.

=====

"We should start heading back," said Harry a couple hours later.

"I don't want to," complained Hermione, laying against him. After their first time, they had conjured blankets to lie on and cover themselves up with, and had just ended up losing themselves in each other three more times over the course of the next two hours.

"I don't want to either," sighed Harry. "But we do have an army to lead, after all."

"I know," said Hermione softly as Harry started to get up. "Five more minutes?"

"Five more minutes," smiled Harry, laying back down next to her. "You continue to make me the happiest man alive, Granger."

"The feeling is mutual," smiled Hermione.

"And when this is all said and done with, I fully intend on making you my wife," he said, brushing a loose strand of hair from her face.

"Do you mean that?" asked Hermione softly.

"With no reservations whatsoever," smiled Harry. "And we can have a nice beautiful wedding like Bill and Fleur's. We can have it at the Burrow, and have lots of cake, and dancing, and all the other great things that weddings have."

"Drinks all around?" chuckled Hermione.

"Drunken Ron," smiled Harry. "That'll be a sight worth seeing."

"And having my parents give me away," smiled Hermione. "They have to be there for that."

"And they will be," nodded Harry. "Now let's go get them back."

---------------

I'm sorry for such a short chapter, I had originally intended it to be longer, but that was such a good ending spot I couldn't say no to it.

For my bit of wisdom this week, I give you something one of the most famous war tacticians of all time, Lao Tzu, once said.

Mastering others gives you strength. Mastering yourself makes you invincible.

Take that into account the next time you want to get defensive over something.

As always, those who guess the movie and quote correctly will be given liberal portions of pumpkin pie. Until next time!