Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

Well now, aren't I an idiot. Thankfully, only ONE person managed to catch my mistake that in one of the scenes below WWW, I said it was Fred speaking instead of George. I have since then fixed the error, and I thank you (you know who you are) for bringing it up. This is why I need reviews, people! ::wink::

Back on track though, I'd like to continue to thank all of you for your support. Seeing 20 reviews for the last chapter in its first day was really heart-warming, despite my updating problem. I'm starting to average 30 a chapter, and I must say, you all are spoiling me quite badly. I don't know what I'd do if a 15 review chapter hit me now...lol j/k of course. But please, do remember to review.

There's an important note at the bottom concerning the next update, so please read it if you don't want a rude surprise two weeks from now.

N u kn0 I roxxorz ur soxxorz. Hehehe, two points to anyone who can tell me what language that is (you have to spell it correctly too).

Nothing else for this week, so read on!

---------------

Chapter 8: Past and Present

"He had an Unplottable charm on himself," said Madam Pomfrey, arms crossed. "Seems like it was the only way he could get away and not be found."

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and McGonagal were all standing in the Hospital Ward, Draco's body lying motionless on a bed in the background.

"That would explain why the map didn't show him," whispered Hermione into Harry's ear.

"What was he carrying?" asked McGonagal.

"His wand," sighed Madam Pomfrey. "Nothing else."

"What was he running from?" asked Harry, peeking around the nurse to look at Draco's unmoving form.

"Death Eaters, most likely," shrugged McGonagal. "He failed in his mission to kill Albus, after all...though I didn't think they would be so harsh on him."

"Is he going to make it?" asked Hermione, standing next to Harry.

"It's early yet, but I'm optimistic," said Pomfrey. "His internal organs have suffered severe damage, but they're all intact...and despite his major blood loss I've had enough Replenishing Potions to see that he doesn't run out."

"And his arm?" asked Ron, eyeing Draco carefully.

"Broken in six places," replied Pomfrey, crossing her arms. "Nothing that a good charm won't fix...but I want to wait to do that until he's stabilized."

"Let us know if anything changes," said McGonagal before walking briskly from the ward. Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged a glance before hurrying off after her.

"Professor," called Harry, jogging to catch up.

"Yes?" asked McGonagal tiredly.

"What's going on?" asked Harry bluntly. McGonagal gave Harry, Ron, and Hermione an appraising look before sighing and turning around to head down the corridor.

"Follow me," she said, walking away.

The four of them walked in silence the entire way, the password to McGonagal's office (Ice Mice) the only words spoken until they reached their destination.

"I suppose you three want to know about what happened tonight at the feast?" asked McGonagal, sitting in a chair in front of the fireplace rather than behind her desk.

"Yes," replied Harry, taking a seat with Ron and Hermione. "Especially about the bracelet."

McGonagal sighed and withdrew the circlet from her robes. Wordlessly, she handed it to Hermione who squinted at the runes on the band.

"I don't recognize any of these," she said after a moment. "I'm sure with a little research though…"

"There are only four symbols that I am familiar with on that bracelet," said McGonagal. "And they each represent one of the four aspects that the Sorting Hat spoke of."

"Evil, Light, Despair, and Hope," recited Ron. McGonagal nodded. "So what does that mean?"

"I don't know," frowned McGonagal.

"What about this…'Chosen One'?" asked Harry

"There is…a tale," said McGonagal slowly. "A story even more ridiculous and hard to believe than that of the Chamber of Secrets…"

"What is it?" asked Harry and Hermione at the same time. McGonagal smiled warily at them.

"Long ago, before the founders…perhaps even before Merlin, there was a great war," she said sagely, gazing into the fire. "A great war between the muggles and the magical."

"We won, obviously," said Ron without thinking.

"Yes, they won, Ronald, but not without sustaining heavy losses," continued McGonagal. "As you have seen already…there are non-magical tools such as guns that not even our practises can protect against, just as there are many elements of magic that no muggle could stand up to."

"But they didn't have guns that long ago," said Hermione. "Right?"

"Correct, but the muggles outnumbered the witches and wizards tenfold," sighed McGonagal. "And although numbers do not win a battle outright, they certainly help."

"So what happened?" asked Harry.

"Supposedly an extremely powerful but unnamed wizard ended the war himself," said the headmistress. "He had help of course…the details are unknown, but after all was said and done, he united the two sides and there was a Golden Age of peace between muggles and wizard alike. He reigned over both worlds and brought prosperity to both sides."

"What happened to him?" asked Hermione.

"He was assassinated by rebellious muggles in his sleep," frowned McGonagal. "And the kingdom descended into war once more. It was around that time that all the wizards banded together and forged the barrier between the two worlds…in order to prevent such a conflict from happening again. It took many years, but the muggles were all Obliviated, and those with magic hid themselves away to live their own lives. The two worlds have been apart ever since."

"So what does that have to do with us?" asked Ron after a few moments where no one spoke.

"The tale says that one day a new king would rise during the world's darkest hour and purge the evil from the land…and unite the peoples again," said McGonagal. "Of course…I don't think it will ever be possible to unite the wizarding and muggle worlds…but perhaps…"

"You think it's me," whispered Harry.

"This story that I have told you," said McGonagal, choosing to ignore Harry's comment. "Is so preposterous…so inane…"

"Then how come you know it?" asked Hermione.

"It's a wizard fairly tale that many parents tell their children," sighed McGonagal. "Ask your mother, Ronald, I'm sure she knows it too."

"You think…you think that Harry is…the king?" asked Hermione.

"I do not know what to think," sighed McGonagal. "But I don't think we can rule that possibility out at this point."

"The four forces," said Harry slowly. "What does that have to do with the story?"

"Like I said before, I have no idea," said McGonagal. "Though, if I had to make a guess I would say it involves something that the 'king' would have to do to rise to his throne."

"Can we hold on to this?" asked Hermione, holding up the bracelet. "So we can study it?"

"No…anything with this much potential to power needs to be kept safe," said McGonagal. "You may transcribe the runes, however."

Hermione nodded and McGonagal summoned some parchment and a quill with a flourish of her hand.

"Do you think that this has anything to do with me fighting Voldemort?" asked Harry as Hermione scribbled away on the parchment.

"Perhaps…" said McGonagal. "Then again perhaps not. It is just too early to tell at this point."

"As if I don't have enough on my plate as it is," scoffed Harry, looking at the floor.

"We'll work through this, Harry," said Hermione, putting her hand on his shoulder. "Together."

"Thank you," he whispered.

"I think it is time for the three of you to go to bed," smiled McGonagal. "You do have classes tomorrow, and it might do well to show up at least for the first day."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione nodded and left the office with more questions than they had entered with.

=====

The next morning at breakfast, Harry, Ron, and Hermione filled Ginny and Luna in on what had happened the previous evening, from Draco's appearance to their conversation with McGonagal.

"What do you make of all of this?" asked Ginny, leaning forward slightly.

"I have no bloody clue," sighed Harry.

"Do you think it has to do with you, Harry?" asked Luna, not looking up from her copy of the Quibbler.

"I know it has to do with me," he replied. "I just don't know how."

"We'll figure it out," smiled Hermione, taking Harry's hand under the table. "We always do."

"Hey guys."

The five of them looked up to see Neville standing there sheepishly.

"Hey Nev, have a seat," smiled Ron, motioning to the empty space next to Ginny.

"Thanks," replied Neville, sitting down. "I don't want to be out of line here or anything...but I was wondering about what the Sorting Hat said..."

"And you wanted to hear our take on it?" asked Harry warily.

"I wanted to know if I can help," said Neville, fidgeting slightly. "I know I'm not much use, but I know loads about plants...though I'm sure Hermione knows more, and I'd really just like to -"

"Neville," interrupted Ginny, placing her hand on his arm. "Calm down."

"Sorry," he said, red in the face.

"Nev, you've always been a good friend, and you were there when others weren't," said Harry, extending his hand. "You're more than welcome to help out."

Neville looked up and, after a moment, shook Harry's outstretched hand with a smile.

"Thanks," he said with a small grin.

"If I may ask though," said Harry, popping a small piece of bacon into his mouth. "What's your motive?"

Neville turned a faint shade of pink, but the quick glance he cast in Ginny's direction didn't go unnoticed by Harry or Hermione.

"We'll bring you up to speed later," said Harry, quickly, trying to avoid that particular conversation for the time being.

"Ronald," she Luna, not looking up. Ron jumped as though he had been poked; he had been staring dreamily at her without paying attention to anything that had transpired. "It's not polite to stare."

"Sorry," he said, properly ashamed. Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and Neville all shared a grin at this.

"It's quite alright," she said, smiling for him. "You more than make up for it with your boyish charm."

"Err...thanks, I think," smiled Ron.

"Well, we should get to class," said Hermione, gathering up her things. "We have Defense Against the Dark Arts first, after all."

"Let us know how that goes," called out Ginny as Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Neville got up and exited the Great Hall.

"Hey, Ron," said Hermione, once they were in the corridors. "Do you think I could have a word with you?"

"Erm...sure?" he replied, raising an eyebrow. She and Ron fell back, leaving Harry and Neville up front.

"So you like Ginny?" asked Harry bluntly. Neville recoiled as though stung.

"I'm sorry, Harry...I didn't mean to interfere -"

"It's alright Nev," said Harry with a laugh. "There's nothing going on between me and her."

"There isn't?" asked Neville.

"No, I'm rather keen on someone else at the moment," replied Harry with a small smile, casting a quick glance at Hermione behind him.

"Ohhh," said Neville, the realisation dawning on him. "I've always thought you two would end up together."

"Me and Hermione?" asked Harry. Neville nodded. "What makes you say that?"

"You're both so alike in so many ways," he replied with a shrug. "It's like...you two complete each other, if that makes any sense." He reddened as he finished his sentence.

"It's alright Nev, you're not wrong," said Harry, putting his hand on his friend's shoulder. "I need her in my life more than anything else."

"I kind of feel the same way about Ginny, you know," sighed Neville. "I shouldn't though."

"Why?" asked Harry.

"Well I don't really know her, do I?" he shrugged. "I mean, the Yule Ball was one of the best nights of my life, and I think she enjoyed herself too, but I never hang out with her...or you guys."

"Which is why you want to help," finished Harry. "Nev, I'm all for it, but you do know what you're getting yourself into here. She won't entertain the notion of you tagging along just to be in her presence...you're going to have to help pull the load."

"And I plan on it," said Neville with conviction. "He...he's the reason my parents are the way they are..."

"I didn't mean it like that, Nev," said Harry softly.

"I owe it to them...and to myself to help you get the bastard," replied Neville as they reached the classroom.

"You've come a long way Neville," said Harry with a grin as they paused outside the room to wait for Hermione and Ron. "Just treat her well."

"What makes you think she'll even go for me?" asked Neville.

"Just a hunch," replied Harry with a wink.

"We all set?" asked Hermione, catching up with them. Harry nodded and they all entered the classroom.

The purpose to arriving ten minutes early was that Harry, Ron, and Hermione wanted to see if they could have a word with Tonks, but she was nowhere in sight. Harry noted that the walls were devoid of the grotesque pictures Snape had up the previous year.

"Oh well, at least I can get a slight head start on the reading," sighed Hermione, sitting down at her usual desk.

"Fancy a quick game of chess, Harry?" asked Ron, pulling out a miniature chess set.

"Oh why not," sighed Harry, sitting down next to Hermione. "I'm sure you'll beat me twice before class starts anyway." Neville sat down on the other side of Ron to watch the match.

As it turned out, luck was on Harry's side as he only lost once before Tonks entered the room and closed the door behind her, the assembled students quieting quickly.

"I am not a lenient instructor," she said seriously. "A time is coming when you all will have to defend yourselves, and I am more than serious about making sure you're all ready for it."

Harry arched an eyebrow at Hermione who shrugged and smiled.

"Now then, we will be spending the greater part of the term practising combative spells nonverbally," said Tonks, moving to the blackboard. "Once I am satisfied with your performance, we will move on to the theory behind Dark spells, so that you may know better how to counter them. Any questions?"

Everyone stayed silent.

"Good. Then let us begin."

Harry thought that there was much improvement over last year this time; although a lot of the students couldn't cast the spells with the power many would hope for, everyone in the class was at least capable of casting each spell Tonks gave them, however weak it may have been.

The bell signaling the end of class rang what seemed like only minutes later, and Harry actually checked his watch to make sure that an hour and a half actually had passed.

"The time really flew, didn't it?" asked Hermione, a thin sheen of sweat on her forehead. Harry suddenly had the urge to snog her senseless, but trounced it.

"You three," said Tonks, pointing at Harry, Ron, and Hermione as the rest of the class filed out. "Stay back for a minute."

When the classroom was empty, Tonks shut the door with a wave of her wand and sat down behind her desk.

"Wotcher, Tonks," said Hermione with a smile on her face. Tonks' jaw dropped.

"Blimey it can't have been THAT easy to tell!" she exclaimed, changing back to her usual form.

"To anyone who doesn't know your full name, maybe," smiled Harry.

"I knew I should've been more original," huffed Tonks, standing up.

"It's so much more endearing this way though," smiled Hermione. Tonks narrowed her eyes at her but smiled nonetheless.

"So what're you doing here?" asked Ron.

"On assignment from the ministry," sighed Tonks, shuffling through some papers. "All in a day's work, for an auror, after all."

"You are aware that the job is cursed," said Harry, crossing his arms.

Tonks looked up at him appraisingly but shook her head.

"You know that's rubbish, Harry," she said.

"Just...be careful with it," sighed Harry. "I've only seen one person come out of this job relatively unscathed, and it's your boyfriend."

Though she was looking down, Tonks' cheeks reddened at this.

"Getting a bit embarrassed?" asked Ron with a grin.

"Hush, Ronald," chuckled Hermione.

"Tonks and Remus sitting in a tree -"

"If you finish that sentence," began Tonks, looking up. "I'll make sure to mention a certain blonde-haired Ravenclaw to your brothers the next time I see them."

This time, it was Ron's turn to flush.

"H-how did you find out about that?" he asked nervously.

"If you are going to speak about matters like that," smiled Tonks. "You might not want to do so in such a public place as, oh, I don't know, the hallway of the Hogwart's Express?"

"You were there?" asked Harry.

"Having an invisibility cloak has its advantages, wouldn't you say, Harry?" asked Tonks with a smile. "Now then...seeing as we do have lives to live, you three should be off to your next period."

"Right then," said Harry, smiling as Tonks changed back to her teacher form. "See you around."

"Wotcher, you lot."

"I've got Runes next," said Hermione as they exited the classroom. "How bout you two?"

"Free period," chorused Harry and Ron at the same time. Hermione huffed.

"Well spend it doing something productive, like trying to find out something about the you-know-whats."

"Will do," said Harry as Hermione turned and walked down the hall.

"C'mon," said Ron, turning in the other direction. "Just cuz we're going to the library doesn't mean we can't have a game or two of chess while we're there."

"Such a one-track mind, Ron," laughed Harry.

"Well it's the only thing I'm better than you at," smiled Ron. "I have to rub it in any way that I can."

=====

"Did you find anything?" asked Hermione as she took her seat next to Harry and Ron at their usual table in the back of the dungeon classroom used for Potions.

"No," said Harry honestly. He and Ron had looked for information on the known relics of the founders after Ron had beat him four successive games, but had come up empty handed.

"Well I asked Professor Gyliad if he had seen any of the runes before, but he only recognised the ones that McGonagal told us about," sighed Hermione. "He did tell me that they looked Celtic though, so I suppose that's at least someplace to start."

"Wonder what that is," muttered Ron, pointing to something covered by a sheet on top of Slughorn's desk.

"Probably a new and spectacular potion," smiled Harry, pulling out his new copy of Advanced Potion Making, though the old one was still hidden in the bottom of his trunk in case he ever needed some insight into Snape's mind.

"Welcome back everyone!" exclaimed Slughorn, striding in the classroom and turning around to face them once he reached the front. "It is good to see so many of you back this year."

"At least he doesn't seem to miss Malfoy too much," sniggered Ron under his breath.

"As this is your N.E.W.T. year, I will be working you all harder than ever to help you achieve that Outstanding each and every one of you is capable of," said Slughorn with a smile. "We will therefore begin with a new potion, and a very difficult one at that. I give you the Wolfsbane Potion!"

There was an audible gasp in the class as Slughorn pulled back the sheet to reveal a black cauldron with a simmering purple liquid. Harry gave Hermione a slight smile at this.

"Does anyone know what this potion does?" asked Slughorn with a grin. Hermione's hand shot into the air along with Ron's and Harry's. "Now why am I not surprised?" he asked with a laugh. "Go on then, Mister Weasley."

Hermione looked slightly taken aback that Slughorn had called on Ron, but said nothing as she lowered her hand slowly.

"Er…it helps to control someone affected by lycanthropy during the full moon," said Ron sheepishly.

"Quite correct!" exclaimed Slughorn. "Ten points to Gryffindor." Ron beamed. "Now, I would like each of you to try and create this potion based on the instructions in your books. It is a very difficult potion to brew, and will take more than just this one class to master, so please do not be discouraged if at first you don't succeed. Begin!"

The class came to a halt about an hour later. Hermione's had been the best by far, but Slughorn had been very impressed with Harry's potion nonetheless, and was in the process of pouring some into a vial when he stopped and turned.

"I've been meaning to talk to you," he said. The pointed look he was giving Harry made him think that this conversation was to be private.

"Give us a minute guys?" he asked, turning to Ron and Hermione.

"Sure," shrugged Hermione, dragging Ron out of the classroom by his arm.

"Rather interesting song by the Sorting Hat, don't you think?" asked Slughorn.

"Er...yes," said Harry warily.

"What do you think of it?" asked Slughorn, stoppering the vial.

"Not much," shrugged Harry. "I didn't really understand it much."

"Hmm...but of course, you were muggle raised," contemplated Slughorn. "You wouldn't know about the myths and legends of our kind that your parents knew."

"You mean about the king who united the muggle and magical worlds?" asked Harry, thinking of the story McGonagal had told him.

"That is a fable," said Slughorn slowly, as if trying to decide whether or not to divulge his information. "I'm talking about legendary people...legendary places."

"Like what?" his curiosity piqued. Slughorn paused here.

"Your interest in the pursuit of knowledge is not unlike your mother's," sighed Slughorn reminiscently. "But I would ask you if you truly wanted to know what I do."

"I would answer that there is nothing you could tell me that would surprise me anymore," said Harry, crossing his arms.

"The story which you spoke of," began Slughorn. "Is, in fact, true."

"How would you know that?" asked Harry.

"You forget Harry," said Slughorn with a crooked smile. "That I am very well connected with certain...people. Fine wine and crystallised pineapple aren't the only things I crave, after all."

"Okay...?" said Harry, confused.

"There is a reason that I know so much about the world," said Slughorn, walking up to his desk and sitting down behind it. "It is because I, like yourself, your mother, and a certain brown-haired girl whom you seem to fancy quite a bit, have an undying thirst for knowledge."

"I don't know if you could call me that..." said Harry slowly.

"Oh but you do!" exclaimed Slughorn, pointing a finger in the air. "I have seen it. Your interest is not in book knowledge like Miss Granger's, not that there's anything wrong with that. You, my dear boy, crave the unknown."

"I doubt that I would call it 'craving'..."

"What about the Philosopher's Stone?" asserted Slughorn. "The Chamber of Secrets? The Department of Mysteries!"

"Professor!" exclaimed Harry, taken aback. "There were people in danger in each of those situations! I wouldn't voluntarily go there just for...information!"

"But Harry," smiled Slughorn. "Can you tell me with complete honesty that your curiosity in each of those places or objects didn't help push you along? That somewhere in the back of your mind you wondered about the truth behind it all, and not just about those in danger?"

Harry bit back his answer...mostly because he knew Slughorn was right.

"You even tried to learn something dark and dangerous from me last year," said Slughorn darkly. "I feel that perhaps...maybe I should have told you...perhaps it could've stopped certain things from happening..."

"Sir...I don't think that's true," said Harry, not wanting to divulge that he already knew his teacher's secret.

"I beg to differ...and I think you should know," said Slughorn, bolstering himself. "I once told You-Know-Who about -"

"Horcruxes," finished Harry with a sigh. "I know."

"You....you knew?" said Slughorn, deflated. "H-how?"

"You gave me the memory the night that Aragog died," sighed Harry. "You got drunk."

"The acromantula?" asked Slughorn, brow furrowed. "I always thought something strange had happened..."

Harry didn't really know what to say, so they stood in silence for a few seconds before Slughorn spoke again.

"How did you do it?" he asked. "How did you figure out your plan?"

"You helped me with it," Harry couldn't resist saying. Slughorn looked at him curiously for a few seconds then gave him an enormous grin.

"Felix!" he exclaimed. "My boy, you truly are as brilliant as your mother. So...you know all about the you-know-whats then...do you?"

"Yes," nodded Harry. "If I may ask you though, why tell me now?"

"Hmm?"

"Why wait?" asked Harry. "Why were you going to tell me now if you wouldn't tell me before?"

"Well," said Slughorn with a sad smile. "I figure if they can get to Dumbledore...I wouldn't stand a bloody chance if I was a wanted man."

"They can't get to me," Harry pointed out.

"False," stated Slughorn. "They've already gotten to you on numerous occasions...you just get out of them every time."

"I suppose," shrugged Harry. "Listen, sir, I have another class...is there a point to all of this?"

"Of course, my boy," said Slughorn with a smile. "As I said...we both have a thirst for knowledge. Mine has led me to some extraordinary information in my day."

"Like this legend you were going to tell me about?" asked Harry.

"Yes..." said Slughorn. "What I tell you here...you cannot repeat to anyone else."

"Even my friends?" asked Harry.

"Perhaps those you trust not to blab," said Slughorn simply. "Because if anyone found out I know about this stuff, I'd be a marked man faster than you can say 'magic'."

"Alright," replied Harry curiously.

"There have been many kings of the wizarding world in our history," said Slughorn. "In theory, Dumbledore was the last one."

"Dumbledore?" asked Harry.

"Yes, for you see, according to the ancient laws, he who could govern the people and the peace was to be king," said Slughorn. "Although he wasn't the minister, Dumbledore held more influence over the masses than those two blubbering idiots who have held the office ever could. And he killed a Dark Lord, thus bringing peace to the land. Do you know what defines a Dark Lord, Harry?"

"...no," said Harry after a moment, never having really thought about it.

"A horcrux."

The air in the dungeon classroom hung in thick silence at those two words. Harry frowned and looked up at Slughorn.

"The creation of a horcrux makes you a Dark Lord?" asked Harry.

"Yes," sighed Slughorn. "And I regret that I did not possess this knowledge until after I had told Tom Riddle the secrets of them."

"Well, what's so special about being a Dark Lord?" asked Harry. "Aside from having the name?"

"Harry, the name is everything!" exclaimed the potions teacher. "My dear boy, do you ever think that people in the ancient days would've paid two looks to some of the people who were their leaders had they not carried the title of king?"

"Not really..."

"So many sovereigns in history...not just ours, either, couldn't put two plus two together!" exclaimed Slughorn. "Had they not been born into royalty, they would more than likely have rotted in the streets along with the other peasants...there was no wit or cunning about these people. Yet, the title, the name of king made them who they are."

"So a Dark Lord...is a king of the Dark Arts?" asked Harry slowly.

"Excatly, my boy!" smiled Slughorn, clapping him on the shoulder. "And only a king of the light can bring one down.

Harry looked up at Slughorn with apprehension.

"But...what if I'm not -"

"Harry, if there was any doubt in my mind last year, there is none now," said Slughorn seriously. "After seeing what you've done...what you can do...you are destined to lead the people through this dark age."

"But...people don't follow me!" exclaimed Harry desperately. "I can't influence people like Dumbledore could!"

"Yes, you can," said Slughorn with a small smile. "Dumbledore's Army?"

"But that...that was just a club," said Harry, slightly deflated.

"You created it to help the students when the Ministry would not," said Slughorn, crossing his arms. "Something I still haven't completely forgiven them for."

"What are you telling me?" asked Harry.

"Of all the kings of the wizarding world, one will end the madness, the conflict," said Slughorn. "One would succeed where others had failed. And to do that, he would have to unite the four aspects."

"Sir, assuming for one strange second that we're actually talking about me," said Harry slowly. "Why would I have to do all this kingly stuff? Why couldn't I just finish off Voldemort and be done with it?"

"Because I do not believe that is possible," sighed Slughorn. "You have of course heard that before all things fade, they go through a point where they are at their strongest?"

"Something like that," nodded Harry.

"Recall the words Tom Riddle said to me in that memory, Harry...think back to what he said."

'Wouldn't it be better, make you stronger, to have your soul in more pieces, I mean, for instance, isn't seven the most powerfully magical number, wouldn't seven -?"

"You think that Voldemort is the final step for Dark Magic?" asked Harry.

"I know the ruddy bastard is," sighed Slughorn. "Seven bloody horcruxes...how he can even stand to be alive like that is beyond me."

"So what you're saying is that unless I go through all of this..."

"You won't be powerful enough to beat him when the time comes, whether or not you've destroyed all his horcruxes," sighed Slughorn. Harry's eyes widened at him. "Oh come on, my boy, I'm not stupid. If you are the one destined to kill him, then you obviously have to destroy his horcruxes."

"And these four aspects...evil, light, despair, and hope...what do I do with them?" asked Harry.

"You find them," said Slughorn. "And you unite them to create balance."

"There isn't balance already?" asked Harry.

"Evil prevails," said Slughorn softly. "The world is already covered in shadow Harry, you know that."

"And what if I fail?" he asked, equally softly.

"Then we all do."

=====

Harry rushed into Herbology and gave a quick apology to Professor Sprout before joining Ron and Hermione at their table at the end of the greenhouse.

"Harry, you're twenty minutes late!" exclaimed Hermione in a whisper. "What could Slughorn have possibly wanted to talk to you about for so long?"

"I'll tell you later," muttered Harry. He was about to ask what they were doing with the pungent red plant in front of them when a young student entered the greenhouse.

"Professor Sprout?" he asked timidly. "Headmistress McGonagal wants to see Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley in the hospital ward immediately."

"What?" the Herbology teacher asked incredulously. "Mister Potter just arrived, you can tell her that -"

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but she said that it was urgent," the student said in a scared voice.

"Very well," sighed Madam Sprout. Harry, Ron, and Hermione packed up their things and followed the student out of the greenhouse, the teacher's voice calling after them, "Potter, I want you here on Wednesday after dinner for a remedial session!"

"Yes, ma'am," he called back after her with a sigh as they entered the castle.

"What did McGonagal want?" asked Ron, but the messenger had already disappeared. "Bloody midget..."

"Ron..." said Hermione warningly. He smiled sheepishly at her as they ascended the stairs to the hospital wing.

Upon entering the ward, they saw McGonagal, Madam Pomfrey, and Tonks talking to each other in hushed voices.

"What's going on?" asked Harry, startling the three women.

"Potter..." said McGonagal shakily holding a letter. "I think you should see this. It came while I was up here to check on Draco's progress."

"What is it?" asked Hermione as they walked over. McGonagal handed Harry the letter and he unfolded it.

YOU'RE NEXT, POTTER

The dark mark was inscribed underneath it.

---------------

That's all folks!

Okay, now for the news. On Tuesday, the 28th, I'm departing for a one-week vacation in upstate NY. I will not be writing during that time (I won't really have access to a computer), and I won't be returning until Sunday, March 5th. It is therefore unrealistic to expect an update on that following Friday, as it takes me at the very least seven days to come out with a presentable chapter (including multiple betaing and such). I will have the next chapter out ASAP, but I'm not making promises. Until next time!

And remember, let me know what you think! ;)