Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

Welcome back for another installment of your favorite (or I hope your favorite) story. No news is good news they say, so read away!

---------------

Chapter 22: The Plunge

When Harry and Hermione arrived back in the camp, the students were all assembled out in the main clearing. The stones usually holding the campfire had been moved away; benches were lined up for everyone to sit on, most of which were already occupied. At the front, hung between two trees, was a great canvas with a map of the grounds of Hogwarts painted on it.

"They certainly haven't wasted any time," said Hermione, looking around.

"None to waste," replied Harry as McGonagal walked over to them.

"Good, you're here," she said. "We're about to begin."

"Where should we sit?" asked Harry.

"You don't sit, Harry, you stand up front with the rest of the Order."

"I...do?" asked Harry, McGonagal walking away before he finished the question.

"I suppose she'll want you to say something," said Hermione as they made their way to the front of the assembly.

"Say something?" asked Harry.

"Like a speech," rephrased Hermione. "You know, to motivate everyone."

"I'm rubbish at making speeches," said Harry, not sounding too thrilled at the idea.

"Nonsense," replied Hermione. "You'll do fine."

"At least one of us is confident," smiled Harry jokingly as McGonagal put up her arms to silence the crowd.

Harry sighed as he looked out over the crowd and saw the faces of his fellow students, some of whom he knew, some of whom he didn't, and some of whom were too young and shouldn't have been there in the first place. All the faces were bearing looks of somber resolution.

"Everyone," said McGonagal once the assembly had quieted. "I would like to begin by thanking all of you. None of you should be in this position right now, and regardless of what happens in the next few hours, every last one of you will be remembered as someone who stood your ground and fought for what you believed in." There was a murmur of acknowledgment from the crowd at this telling Harry that McGonagal's words had done little to stoke the fires of the students.

"After you completed your training, you were all given a piece of paper with a number on it," said Moody, stepping forward. "The numbers are from one to three, each representing a separate attack group." There was a collective shuffling from the students as they all reached into their pockets to grab their papers. "The assignments were given based on how well you each performed during the training, and they are not negotiable."

Harry could hear a few students talking amongst themselves about their groups as McGonagal stepped forward again.

"The assignments are as follows," she said, taking her wand and drawing three large circles on the map, one over the quidditch pitch, one over the gate to the grounds in the north, and one along the eastern edge of the grounds, on the border of the forest. "These circles represent the area that will be covered by each group. Remember that each group has its own leader and will - "

It took a few seconds before Harry and everyone else realised why McGonagal had stopped; the herd of two dozen centaurs was standing in the back of the group.

"Why are you here, Magorian?" asked Harry, stepping forward.

"We have come to report on what the spies have found from the castle," said the centaur, also stepping forward.

"What have you learned?" asked Harry.

Magorian looked around at the gathering hesitantly as if he did not want to divulge his information in front of so many people, but spoke nonetheless.

"Those being held captive are alive, but in weak condition," said Magorian. "There are ten students total, no adults, being held in the dungeon potions classroom. Severus Snape is guarding them."

"Ten?" asked Harry. "There should've been eleven."

"The blond-haired boy who passed through our forest long ago was not present," said Magorian.

"Draco," muttered Harry. "What a ruddy coincidence."

"Your mate's elders are also being held at the school, in the Astronomy Tower from what we can tell."

"What?" asked Hermione breathlessly.

"Their injuries seem to be less severe from the others, almost as if they were being treated with high importance."

"I suppose that's good news," said Harry.

"Also, there are no traps currently set in the school," said Magorian.

"What?" asked Harry. "Are you sure about this?"

"The birds do not lie," replied the centaur seriously. "As for weak points, we have not discovered any portions of the castle that are less structurally sound than any other."

"Do you know where Voldemort is residing?" asked Harry. A couple of the centaurs pawed the ground uneasily at this.

"We hypothesize that it's the headmaster - headmistress' quarters," said Magorian.

"You hypothesize?" asked Harry, arching an eyebrow.

"We're not certain, but two of the birds attempted to enter the window and were promptly killed," replied Magorian.

"Alright," said Harry, pinching the bridge of his nose. "You've been a great help, thank you."

"You are preparing for battle, are you not?" asked Ronan, from a little ways back in the pack.

"Yes...and?" asked Harry.

"We would serve you, Harry Potter," said Magorian, bowing his head slightly.

"What happened to not meddling in the affairs of other races?" inquired Harry.

"It is our affair to protect the king," replied Magorian.

Harry watched as all the centaurs bowed their heads and the assembled students turned to face him, trying to gauge his reaction.

"They're in my group," said Harry, turning to McGonagal. "They'll stay to cover the gate to support the aurors once I break off for the rescue."

"You are sure about this?" asked the headmistress. Harry looked at the centaurs who were still bowing to him.

"Yes," replied Harry. "We need all the help we can get."

"Very well," nodded McGonagal.

"I accept your help," said Harry to Magorian. "Please stay for the rest of the briefing."

"Of course, my lord."

"I will now explain the group assignments, so please pay attention," said McGonagal. The few students who were still looking at the centaurs turned and faced the front. "Group One will be led by Professor Tonks and will cover the entire edge of the forest. You will wait for word that the anti-magic barrier has been set up before providing fire against troops on the ground. It is very unlikely that Voldemort will completely empty the castle, so make sure to also attempt shots at death eaters on the ramparts and towers. Are there any questions?" When no one spoke, she continued.

"Group Two will be led by Mister Potter and Miss Granger," said McGonagal. "You will assemble at the North Gate, and wait for Mister Potter to engage the enemy. Once he has done so, you will provide direct fire against the death eaters until the aurors from the ministry arrive, which will be in roughly one hour. Upon their arrival, you will fall back into the forest, and proceed to the lake. Mister Potter will brief you on your assignment now."

"My group will be attempting to rescue the prisoners," said Harry, stepping towards the map. "Upon breaking away from the battle, we will proceed to the lake. The repeaters are being set up to cover the grounds only, so while we're in the lake and castle we'll be vulnerable. Make sure you have your wands with you. We will then scale the cliffs on the southern edge of the school, and force entry through the windows in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom on the first floor. We will also have to make several changes to our strategy while inside the castle, so everyone will have to be alert and follow orders."

"Group Three will be in the quidditch stands using the M1s with scopes," said McGonagal, as Harry stepped down. "Professor Moody will be your leader and you are to obey his orders at all times, without question or hesitation. Since you are the smallest group, if your location becomes compromised you will retreat to the forest and merge with Group One."

"If I may?" asked Harry. McGonagal nodded and Harry stepped forward again.

"The centaurs will be in my group as well, but will not break away with me once I do so," said Harry. "Keep in mind, that there will be crates of rifles left at the gate for the aurors once they arrive, and protecting those is paramount. Therefore, priority for your targets should be as follows: those closest to the gate are at the top, those providing support from the ramparts are next, and those in the open field are last."

"I will stay at the camp and run tactical guidance," said McGonagal. "Is there anything else?"

"One last thing," grunted Moody. "If you run out of ammunition, hold on to your gun to fight with if you need to, and don't move. Inevitably, we're going to run out of ammo, and if it's before Remus and the reinforcements arrive, we'll have to fight with magic. Do NOT surrender your position under any circumstances."

"Alright," said McGonagal. "We are to commence promptly. Group leaders will be given communicators to stay in touch with each other momentarily. Before we do that though, Mister Potter will say a few words for you."

"Told you," whispered Hermione as Harry resolutely stepped forward again.

Harry looked out at the crowd again and saw a plethora of different expressions. Those with doubt, those with fear, those with resolution. Making up his mind, he took a deep breath to steady himself.

"It is with a heavy heart that I stand before you," said Harry solemnly. "A war in which children are forced to fight is a war that should never happen, but it is what we face today. I am saddened that it has come to this, that people I have called my friends for countless years have to fight alongside me, using muggle weapons that have slain millions in the past." He looked out and saw some downcast expressions at that. "But this is not a day for sadness. It is not a day for doubt, and it is not a day for regret. This is a day that we, together shall make glorious." He paused. "But not for ourselves."

Everyone in the crowd perked up at this, curious to hear what Harry had to say next.

"It is true, that this day, and this battle that we are about to fight, will be remembered as the greatest day in our world's history, and we will each be remembered for having a part in it. But the glory that will follow our victory, will belong to the ones we are fighting for right now. I ask each and every one of you, who are you fighting for right now?"

There was silence in the crowd until a third year in the back yelled out, "My younger sister Abbey!"

"You make the world safe for her!" yelled Harry back, bolstered by the response. "Who else?"

"My parents!" yelled another, this time a fifth year.

"My muggle friends who can't defend themselves!"

"My mum!" yelled Ron.

"My father!" yelled Luna.

"My aunt, who isn't around to see the end of this war!" cried Susan Bones.

"My parents!" yelled Neville, standing up, tears of anger in his eyes, "who were tortured mercilessly by Voldemort's death eaters and now don't even recognise me!"

There was a shocked silence at his words, as most of the students didn't know the true fate of Neville's parents.

"I am also fighting for my parents," said Harry quietly. "Like so many others, they gave their lives to protect me, and they are responsible for me standing here today." The crowd was silent, watching Harry with pride in their eyes. "Just as my parents were responsible for saving me, we are now responsible for saving those who would continue living their lives without the oppression of Voldemort. Failure is not an option."

Harry took another breath to steady himself and continued.

"Voldemort has made a critical mistake. He thinks we are weak. He thinks we are unskilled. He thinks we have no hope. And he has forgotten one simple fact. If we lose, there is no tomorrow for any of us. And that makes us all very dangerous people!"

A cheer erupted from the crowd at this. Harry drew the sword of Gryffindor from its sheath, and held out in front of him, the waning sun shining on the blade.

"This sword belong to a founder of the school, Godric Gryffindor, one who sought to maintain purity throughout the land, and purge the filth who could claim it as their birthright with his two friends, Helga Hufflepuff and Rowena Ravenclaw. Today, we accomplish that task once and for all, by purging this world of the filthiest, most disease-ridden, muggle-killing SON OF A BITCH that this world has ever seen! Today, we fight in the name of the Founders! In the name of Hogwarts!"

"And for Dumbledore!" yelled Dean Thomas from the back.

"For Dumbledore!" echoed Harry, a cheer erupting from the crowd as he raised the sword above his head. "For the glory of those we love!"

"Well done," whispered McGonagal as the students rose in a gigantic cheer, the centaurs watching with bemused reverence.

"I told you that you'd do well," said Hermione as Harry stepped away.

"I guess I got on a bit of a roll," said Harry sheepishly.

"Alright everyone, we're to move out now," called McGonagal over the noise. "Please ready your weapons and report to your assigned groups to get ready."

The students picked up their rifles and loaded them with ammunition, storing spare clips of rounds in their pockets.

"Where are Pettigrew and Nagini?" asked Harry. "We do need them for this, after all."

"Right here," said Fred carrying a cage with the snake Nagini inside, Pettigrew in anti-magic chains behind him being led by George.

"Good," replied Harry as students in Group Two began to crowd around him. "What are you two going to be doing during this?"

"Us?" asked Fred with an impish grin. "We have some special surprises to plan just in case some of good old Voldie's minions show up."

"You can buy us time?" asked Harry, interested.

"Of course we can," grinned George, procuring a miniaturized crate of WWW fireworks from his pocket. "Nothing confuses the bad guys like a good old fashioned flash of light, especially at nighttime."

"You two are ruddy brilliant," chuckled Harry. "Let's get this started."

"Aye, mate," chuckled Fred, and he and George ran off into the woods to prepare, leaving Pettigrew and Nagini behind with Harry.

"Groups, prepare to move out!" called McGonagal. "Here is your coin, Harry. It will work in synchronization with the repeaters, so you can use it even after the anti-magic field is up."

"Hold on to this," said Harry, handing it to Hermione. "You're better at talking than I am."

"Thanks," smiled Hermione dryly, looking over the coin. It was one of the enchanted galleons they had used in their 5th year.

"Compliments of Fred and George," smiled McGonagal before walking off.

Harry quickly looked over his group and saw that none of his friends, save Dean was in it. Quickly scanning the crowd, he saw Luna and Ron in Group Three with Moody, and Neville and Ginny in Group One with Tonks.

"Are we ready to move, my lord?" asked Magorian, the centaurs walking over to them as Group Three also gathered nearby.

"I think it's about time," nodded Harry, taking Pettigrew's chains and handing them to Ronan, Nagini and her cage went to Bane. "Let's go."

The walk to the edge of the forest was a silent one, the only sounds Pettigrew's whimpers every minute or so, but Harry could feel the anticipative energy from his peers without even looking at them. After ten or so minutes, they reached the edge, Hogwarts looming under a bright full moon in the starless night sky.

"To the front gate," said Harry. "Do not be hesitant with your steps."

Harry and his group of a hundred or so reached the gate in mere minutes, stopping at it and turning to face the castle as Group Three continued on silently to the quidditch pitch. Behind him, Harry heard a couple of the centaurs place the extra crates of guns and ammunition by the gate entrance.

"Here I go," said Harry. "Sonorus."

Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath, praying for a victorious outcome.

"Voldemort!" bellowed Harry. "I accept your offer! Send Hermione's parents out for a trade!"

He waited a moment.

"Answer me you bastard!"

"You would have me give you my most valuable assets for my pet and a worthless minion?" the amplified voice of Voldemort responded. "Reconsider your offer."

"Your pet and worthless minion obviously have value to you, or you wouldn't have offered the trade in the first place!"

"How true," replied Voldemort. "But you are not getting the mudblood's parents."

Harry considered this for a moment.

"Three students then!" he bellowed.

"Three?" asked Voldemort. "Why are you assuming you have the upper hand here, Potter?"

"I'll kill them!" threatened Harry.

"We have been through this already," replied Voldemort in an irritated voice. "You kill them, the parents die."

Harry took a deep breath and prayed Hermione would forgive him for what he was about to do.

"They do not have strategic worth!" yelled Harry. "But Wormtail and Nagini do! If that's the way it has to be, so be it!"

"Harry..." whispered Hermione, audibly shocked.

"I do not believe you would willingly sacrifice the lives of your disgusting lover's parents," replied Voldemort. "But this is the one time I shall play along. Three students of my choosing."

"Fine!" yelled Harry. "Send them out! Quietus."

"Harry, I cannot believe you just did that," whispered Hermione, still shaken.

"I'm sorry," replied Harry. "There was no other way."

Far in the distance, the great doors to Hogwarts' Entrance Hall opened, a deep orange light flooding the grounds. Harry could make out figures making their way down to them, but it wasn't nearly as many as he had hoped for.

"Fifty at most," muttered Harry. "Hermione, give me the coin."

Hermione handed it to him wordlessly. Harry took it, but not before looking into her eyes with all the remorse he could offer. Silently, she nodded and gave him a weak smile of encouragement.

"All groups, do not fire on the death eaters," said Harry. "There aren't more than fifty...I'll have to draw the rest out."

"How do you plan on doing that?" came Moody's voice.

"By stirring things up a bit, of course."

"Don't do anything rash," warned Tonks.

"There's no other play here," said Harry, and he handed the coin back to Hermione. "Magorian?"

"Yes, my lord?" the centaur replied.

"How accurate are your arrows?" asked Harry.

"We do not miss our targets," replied the centaur with seriousness.

"When they're in range, kill all the death eaters and make sure you do not hit the students or me," said Harry.

"Yes, my lord."

The centaurs lined up behind Harry and drew their bows, who stood praying that his plan would work.

A moment later two dozen whooshes could be heard, arrows flying through the air and striking their screaming targets a moment later. Harry quickly ran out to meet the three students, who were staggering towards him as best they could in their current condition.

"Seamus!" yelled Harry, recognising the sandy hair of his friend as the second wave of arrows flew over his head.

"Harry," replied the Irishman. "We don't have much left."

"C'mon," said Harry, picking up one of the younger students while Seamus helped the other one along back to the group, as the last death eater fell.

"You two," said Harry, pointing to two centaurs. "Help these three back to the camp, and get them aid right away."

The two centaurs nodded and promptly picked up the injured students, Seamus climbing on the back of one of them, and rode off towards the forest.

"That oughta piss him off," said Harry. No sooner were the words out of his mouth than the booming voice of Voldemort was heard.

"How very undiplomatic of you Potter. I should kill the mudblood's parents right now."

"Sonorus. You do, and my prisoners die!" bellowed Harry.

"We are past negotiations at this point, Potter. You have once again underestimated me, and you shall now pay the price."

"You don't scare me!" replied Harry with a grin on his face.

"Then you shall die quicker for your lack of wisdom."

"Quietus," muttered Harry. "Ronan, get Pettigrew and Nagini back to the camp, and make sure they're both well guarded once you get there."

"Aye, my liege," nodded the red-haired centaur, grabbing Pettigrew's chains and Nagini's cage and galloping off, dragging a shrieking Pettigrew away with him.

"Do you think it'll work?" asked Hermione.

"Merlin I hope so," replied Harry.

Once again, in the distance the doors to Hogwarts opened, and this time a wave of black emerged from inside, seemingly never-ending. Smiling, Harry nodded at Hermione, who raised the coin to her mouth.

"All groups, prepare to attack," she said clearly, and the students in Harry's group ran around to the front and took up kneeling positions.

"Roger," replied Tonks.

"Aye," replied Moody.

Harry took a deep breath and drew the Sword of Gryffindor from its sheath.

"Magorian?"

"Aye, sir."

"Are you with me?" Harry turned and looked at the centaur, who was looking straight ahead, his face calm and stoic.

"To the death."

Harry smiled and turned to Hermione, nodding.

"Now," she said clearly.

Instantly bursts of red and green light rained onto the field from the sides, felling many death eaters and confusing the others.

"Now!" called Hermione again, as the death eaters began to return fire.

A sensation unlike any other Harry had experienced swept through his body. A loud crackling could be heard around them as the anti-magic field powered on, and suddenly Harry felt as though there was nothing special about him...as if he were plain.

"It worked," smiled Harry.

"All groups, fire!" yelled Hermione.

Gunshots rained upon the death eaters from all sides, more screams could be heard as confusion and turmoil ran rampant through the enemy ranks. Harry could only watch as flashes from the rifles emanated from all sides of the grounds, the enemy dying painfully in the crossfire.

A loud rumbling suddenly reached Harry, and he looked off to the left just in time to see Grawp and Hagrid emerge from the forest, the former wielding two massive trees as clubs and charging into the heart of the death eaters.

"Grawp smash bad things!" yelled the giant. Harry had to stifle a snort at Hagrid's behavior; he was watching Grawp from near his hut with such pride, he looked as if he was about to cry.

"We're running low on ammo over here," said Tonks through the coin.

"Already?" asked Hermione.

"Each student only had four clips each," she replied.

"Mine too," said Moody.

"Shite," muttered Harry.

"Charge them," said McGonagal through the coin. "They're disoriented and panicking, use the rifles as melee weapons."

"Agreed," said Harry, leveling the Sword of Gryffindor at his enemy. "All units. CHARGE!"

The students sprinted forward from their positions, converging on the death eaters like a pride of lions on a herd of wild zebras, the centaurs overtaking Harry as they charged forward.

The sound left Harry's ears as the adrenaline took over and he ran his blade through the first black cloak he came to, quickly withdrawing it and wildly attacking other death eaters.

"My lord, the aurors have arrived!" yelled Magorian a moment later over the chaos of the battle. Harry turned and saw the aurors from the Ministry unpacking the crates and loading their rifles.

"Group Two, fall back!" yelled Harry. "Make a lane for the shooters! Regroup at the forest's edge behind Hagrid's Hut!"

Quickly, Harry's group disconnected from the battle, the centaurs moving off to the sides to give the aurors a clean shot at their targets.

Harry sprinted at full speed for the hut, Hermione fast on his trail, arriving there a moment later.

"Is everyone here?" asked Harry as the rest of the group caught up with him, gunshots sounding again in the distance."

"I think so," replied Hermione, doing a quick head count. "Yes, everyone's here."

"Good," said Harry. "Come on, let's move for the lake."

The group headed a short way into the forest for cover and made their way south, towards the black lake that, despite the warfare taking place only a short distance away, had a perfectly smooth surface, reflecting the moon from the night sky.

"We're going underwater to help avoid detection," said Harry, drawing his wand. "We should be out of range of the repeaters by now. Charms up."

Everyone in the group immediately drew their wands, and a moment later looked as if they were all wearing goldfish bowls.

"In we go," said Harry, muffled from his own charm.

Harry dove into the freezing lake, Hermione and the rest of the group behind him, making their way a little ways into the depths to avoid being seen near the surface.

Now that he was far from the battle, and the quiet black enveloped him, the wear of the fighting began to creep up on Harry. He could feel his muscles beginning to tire as he pushed through the murky depths, but willed himself not to lose faith, not to give up. There was still so much more that needed to be done.

"What causes you to enter our domain, Harry Potter?" a voice from under him asked harshly, startling Harry.

"Whoa!" jumped Harry, stopping his swim. Three merfolk swam up to him, spears drawn. "We're not here to bother your kind."

"Why are you here?" asked the one in the middle.

"A huge battle is taking place on the grounds," explained Harry. "We're trying to rescue my fellow classmen while everyone is distracted."

"A battle?" asked the one on the right.

"Yes," replied Harry. He was treading water to stay upright, and as he made a stroke, the sleeve of his robe came up and revealed the bracelet on his wrist.

"Where did you get that?" asked the merman in the center, pointing at the bracelet.

"It was given to me by the Sorting Hat," replied Harry.

"You are a king, then?" asked the mermaid on the left.

"I suppose so," replied Harry, growing impatient with the conversation. "Look, we don't have much time, eventually it will be noticed that we're missing from the battle...we need to get up to the castle now."

"Very well," nodded the merman in the center. "Return this way, Harry Potter, we shall protect you and your kind."

"Thanks," he replied, as the merfolk swam away, Harry and the rest of his group continuing forward.

They reached the cliffs not too much later, beginning to climb them after removing their charms.

"Be careful," said Harry softly. "The water will have caused some erosion...make sure you have solid footholds and grips before shifting your weight - "

There was a shriek and Harry instinctively reached down and grabbed, closing on Hermione's wrist as the small outcropping of rock she had been standing on cracked and tumbled into the lake below.

"Careful," said Harry, willing his heart to slow down.

Hermione nodded and regained her footing before continuing to scale the rocks.

They reached the castle shortly thereafter, and lined up along the small ledge they were offered between the classroom and the cliff, Harry aiming his wand at one of the windows.

"Reducto," said Harry. The glass shattered, and Harry climbed into the classroom, the rest of the group quickly behind him. "Everyone alright?"

Nods and murmurs of assent rippled through the group, and Harry turned towards the door.

"Okay," said Harry. "Let's get moving."

"Not so fast, Potter."

Harry froze as the door opened, and Lucius Malfoy stepped forward, flanked by twenty death eaters.

---------------

And thar ye have it.

Learn the rules so that you know how to break them properly.

I'll leave that one to your imagination. ;)

I hope you all enjoyed this one, I enjoyed writing it immensely. Until next time!