Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

A couple of things before we begin this week.

First off, I would like to thank everyone. The night after I posted Chapter 3, I decided to tally up the total number of reviews I have ever received for all of my stories, and the number came out to 1,347. Which is about 500 more than I thought it was going to be. I'm flattered to be one of the few authors who can claim to have over 1,000 reviews for their profile. There aren't many, and I'd like to personally thank each and every one of you who have ever reviewed for helping me achieve that incredible mark. Now, of course I'm well short of Amynoelle and Heaven's 10,000 and-some-odd (which is not only a number that is increasing, but a number that will NEVER be equaled), but hopefully one day I'll have a story break the four-digit mark on it's own (hint hint?). Thank you all.

Second, I have a few words regarding Ginny. I responded to MOST of you who had comments about her, but for those of you who didn't here's what I have to say. Ginny has an agenda, that much I'll give you. However, her agenda is something that's still in the planning, so even I don't know entirely where I'm going to with it. I will say, though, that it is not malicious. I have an idea of what I want to do, but I'm not sure how I could play it out. That will come with time.

Read on!

---------------

Chapter 4: The Golden Day of Peace

"I'm telling you, I won't have it!"

Harry and Hermione stared on in shock at the first full-fledged shouting match they had ever seen between Ron and his mother.

"Well seeing as how I'm of age, you don't get much say, do you?" bellowed Ron.

"You live under my roof, Ronald Weasley. And therefore you follow my rules! And you are not joining the Order!"

"So maybe I won't stay here!" retorted Ron. "Is that what you want Mum? You want me to leave just like Percy did because you're too self-righteous to realise that this isn't your war? That it's our war?"

Despite the fact that Harry knew Ron had made a low blow by mentioning Percy, he had to admit that his best friend had a point.

"Ron," said Molly softly. "This isn't a stupid political view. This is your life we're talking about -"

"That's right!" exclaimed Ron. "My life. Not yours."

"Maybe we should let them have some privacy," whispered Hermione to Harry. He nodded wordlessly and the two of them excused themselves from the kitchen without saying a word.

"Eez everything alright?" asked Fleur standing on the stairs as Harry and Hermione entered the sitting room. "I 'eard some commotion."

"Nothing too serious," replied Harry, sitting on the sofa. "We were having lunch and Ron thought it might be a good idea to tell his Mum that we plan on joining the Order."

Fleur let out a hearty laugh and tossed her hair behind her haid.

"I can't imagine that was too smart of 'im," she said with a smile. "But, I theenk that per'aps eet might be a good idea."

"What makes you say that?" asked Hermione, sitting next to Harry.

"Well, this eez a war," said Fleur pointedly. "And you three are een the very center of eet."

"Ain't that the truth," muttered Harry.

"I am 'oping to join tonight as well," continued Fleur. "I 'ope that you three will also be admitted."

"Thanks," said Harry, smiling.

"Oh, 'Ermione?" asked Fleur. Hermione cocked her head to acknowledge that she was listening. "Ze dresses arrived about ten minutes ago. "I was 'oping you could try one on so that we could size eet for you."

"Oh...I suppose," replied Hermione, looking as though this was one of the last things she wanted to do at the moment.

"Excellent!" exclaimed Fleur with a magnificent smile.

Hermione looked over at Harry with a look as if to say, 'help me,' but said nothing and followed Fleur wordlessly from the room. Just as she was out of sight, Ron entered looked very flustered.

"Got everything worked out?" asked Harry.

"Sort of," replied Ron, running his hand through his hair. "Dunno how it'll turn out though. Where's Hermione?"

"Off trying out her dress with Fleur," answered Harry.

"She must be thrilled about that," said Ron with a slight chuckle.

"Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?" asked Harry with a grin.

"Only a little," replied Ron as the front door opened and Bill walked inside. "Hey! It's the man of the hour. Where've you been?"

"Out," replied Bill, not offering any further explanation. "Have you seen my fiancee?"

"She's making Hermione try on her dress," said Ron.

"Oh," said Bill, closing the door. "Well if you see her before I do, could you tell her that there's an issue with the flower delivery so they won't arrive until an hour before the wedding?"

"Sure thing," replied Ron. "Lucky we can do magic...you'd be in a right pickle otherwise."

"Tell me about it," said Bill sitting next to Harry. "Oh, hey mate. Didn't see you there."

"You're the first person in a decade not to notice me and my scar," laughed Harry.

"Yes, well, I wanted to ask you something," said Bill, turning serious.

"I already told him," said Ron offhandedly. "He said yes."

"Really?" asked Bill. "You'll stand up for me?"

"I'd be glad to," replied Harry. "Though I'm not sure how much good I'll be."

"Don't worry about it," said Bill, clapping him on the shoulder. "It means a lot to both Fleur and me. Thanks."

"You're welcome," replied Harry, as Hermione came into the room looking slightly pinker than she had when she left.

"Ah good, does that mean I can see Fleur now?" he asked her, getting up.

Hermione nodded and took Bill's vacated spot next to Harry after he bid them goodbye and went into the next room.

"What's wrong this time?" asked Ron.

"Not that you would care, but I think I look horrible," said Hermione.

"What?" asked Harry and Ron at the same time. "You must be kidding," said Harry.

"No," she sighed. "It makes me look two stones overweight."

"Well I'm sure you're ruddy mental," said Ron. "Do you think Fleur would want less than perfection for her wedding? Do you think that if you didn't look perfect in that dress you would be up there?"

"Two years ago, I might've agreed with you," replied Hermione. "But as much as I hate to say it, Fleur's changed."

"Yeah, well," said Ron scoffing. "I'm going to go off and find Mum and see if I can't talk some sense into her."

"Good luck," said Harry as Ron left the room, shrugging. "I'm sure you look gorgeous," he added in an undertone once there were no Weasleys within earshot.

"Thanks, but I'm sure you're wrong," replied Hermione.

"Well, we'll see in two days, won't we?" he asked with a grin.

"I suppose," she replied. "I hear you're going to be a groomsman?"

"I guess so," answered Harry. "Though I'm a bit nervous."

"And you think I'm not?" asked Hermione. Harry looked at her and smiled sheepishly.

"I guess so," he replied.

"Well come on," said Hermione, standing up. "We've got work to do."

"What work?" asked Harry.

"Well, we're going to have to convince the Order that we're supposed to be in it," she replied. "We should probably start thinking about what we're going to say.

Harry couldn't help but chuckle to himself at how Hermione always seemed to think of everything as he got off the couch and followed her up the stairs.

=====

Harry gazed out Ron's window at the setting sun from his seat on the bed and checked his watch.

"Seven already..." he muttered to himself.

"Hmm?" asked Hermione, working at Ron's desk.

"Just noting the time," said Harry with a sigh, looking down at his nearly blank parchment. "Maybe I'll just wing it."

"Dunno if that's a good idea, mate," said Ron from the floor. He had joined them shortly after they had begun working, and had been there since. "You know Mum...she'll probably try and keep you out, which means she'll have thought her argument through."

"I don't know why," shrugged Hermione, scribbling something down. "I mean, given the prophecy -"

"Mrs. Weasley doesn't know the prophecy," interrupted Harry. "And neither do the rest of the Order. And it needs to stay that way," he added, as both Ron and Hermione turned and looked at him.

"Harry, maybe the Order might be able to help out more if they knew..."

"I can't risk that," he replied. "We have a very rare and precious thing, and that's knowledge over Voldemort. What could the Order give me? A little bit extra training on the rare moments I'm not out hunting for horcruxes or buried in books looking for information about horcruxes? It's not a sensible tradeoff."

"I suppose not," sighed Hermione.

"What is it?" asked Harry, sensing more to the problem.

"It's nothing, really," she replied. "Come on, the meeting starts soon. We should be there early."

"Why?" asked Ron as Hermione rolled up her parchment.

"So we can make it clear to everyone that shows up that we're serious," she answered. "It'll make a good impression."

"Alright, alright, we're coming," said Ron, struggling to get up off the floor.

The three of them made their way downstairs and into the kitchen, which was occupied solely by Lupin.

"Hey," he said with a smile, sipping on what looked to be a mug of hot tea. "I had a feeling I might run into you three tonight."

"Professor Lupin," said Hermione brightly, as he shook hands with Ron and Harry.

"Now then, Hermione," he said, holding out his hand to her. "You know quite well that I'm not your teacher anymore. Feel free to call me Remus."

"Remus," she said after a moment, and shook his hand.

"Now then, I would figure that you three are down here at this time of day for a very specific reason, but as Lily's mother always told James and Sirius, 'to assume is to make an ass out of you and me.'"

"My grandmum told you that?" asked Harry with intrigue.

"She told James and Sirius that," smiled Remus. "It's an old muggle saying, or so she said. They were always doing this and that...I believe she said it on more than one occasion when James was talking about Lily in his younger years."

There was a silence after Remus said this...it was obvious to Ron and Hermione that Harry was thinking about his parents while Remus was reminiscing about his school days.

"So," said Remus after a moment. "You're here to join the Order?"

"Yeah," said Harry, pulling up a seat next to him. "You don't think there'll be any problems, do you?"

"I doubt it," said Remus, taking a long sip of his tea. "Molly probably won't be too pleased -"

"We've already accounted for that," interrupted Ron, obviously not wishing to have to discuss his mother further.

"Well then I think you'll be fine," replied Remus with a smile. "After all, they have no reason to stop you."

"Glad to hear you say that," said Harry.

The four of them made small talk for half an hour while the kitchen began to fill with more members, many of whom greeted Harry, Ron, and Hermione and said they supported their decision. Molly was one of the last to enter and gave them all a scathing look, but said nothing.

"Quiet please," said McGonagal, entering the room and closing the door behind her. "Are we ready to begin?"

There were no objections so she pressed on.

"As most of you know, there is one present tonight who wishes to be inducted -"

Ron chose this moment to clear his throat rather loudly, which caused everyone in the room to turn and look at him. Harry noticed that Remus and Tonks were trying very hard to suppress laughter.

"Er..." said McGonagal, noticing Harry, Ron, and Hermione sitting amongst everyone else. "Apparently there are four present who wish to join...so if there are no objections, we'll begin the process."

Again there were no objections.

"The process is simple," she said. "I will call out each person, who will then stand. If there are no initial objections, that person will be admitted without reservation. If the decision is not unanimous, a brief period will be allowed for verbal argument by the one seeking admission. After that, another vote will be taken, and if there are no objections, entrance will be granted. Are these terms acceptable?"

Harry paled. He looked nervously at Ron and Hermione who were also staring unflinchingly at McGonagal.

"I thought you said we could have two objections," whispered Harry to Ron.

"I did," he replied. "They must've changed something."


"Are these terms acceptable?" repeated McGonagal. Harry looked around the room and saw everyone was staring at the three of them. Sighing, he nodded, and Ron and Hermione quickly followed suit. Harry saw Fleur do the same a little ways off.

"Very well. Fleur Delacour, please rise," said McGonagal. Fleur stood from her seat next to Bill and remained motionless as there was a slight murmur from the assembly. "Objections?"

No one spoke.

"Very well then, Fleur Delacour shall be inducted at the conclusion of the admission process," continued McGonagal. "Hermione Granger, please rise."

Harry noticed that Hermione looked slightly nervous at being the first of them to be called. She stood slowly, and he gave her hand a quick squeeze for reassurance.

"Objections?"

Harry was mentally waiting for someone to speak...namely Molly...but the silence that followed McGonagal's question was never broken, and Hermione smiled slightly.

"Very well then, Miss Granger, you may sit. Ronald Weasley, please stand."

"I object."

The entire room turned and faced Molly Weasley, and Harry swore he could see Ron roll his eyes as he stood.

"Anyone else?" asked McGonagal. When no one spoke, she continued, "Mister Weasley, you may have a few minutes to convince those who have objected."

Ron nodded and took a deep breath before turning around to face his mother, who was standing next to the back door with her arms crossed.

"We already had this argument, Mum," he said softly. "I thought we had settled this."

"We might have left the argument on peaceful terms," replied Molly, not uncrossing her arms. "But that doesn't mean I approve."

Harry could see the cogs in Ron's mind turning as he tried to think of a way around his mother's objection. Harry had almost thought Ron had stopped breathing until he sighed and nodded slightly.

"Fine," he said resignedly. "If you're that set on stopping me, I suppose there's nothing I can do. It pains me though, that you don't trust or respect your youngest son enough to let him make his own decisions." And without another word, he sat down, looking (in Harry's opinion) surprisingly smug.

"Alright," said McGonagal after a moment. "Any...any objections still?"

Everyone in the room turned and looked at Molly, who was apparently lost in thought.

"Molly?" asked McGonagal, after about a minute of silence. Mrs. Weasley looked up at her and sighed.

"Remus, you've lost almost everyone you've held dear to You-Know-Who," she said. "What's your opinion?"

Remus looked quite taken aback to be addressed like this, but shrugged and smiled.

"I think everyone in this room wants what's best for everyone else," he said simply. "You want to keep Ron safe, while Ron wants to help Harry and keep him safe. It goes in circles. You just can't keep everyone you love safe and happy. Merlin knows I don't want to see Harry in the Order, but I'm not going to stop him from joining because I know that's what he wants, and, quite frankly, he'll be a valuable asset. I actually think he would be in more danger not knowing everything."

Molly looked around at the various members of the Order who were gathered and Harry saw that quite a few of them were nodded their heads slightly in assent. Molly sighed and shook her head sadly.

"I never wanted to see my children grow up," she said heavily. "What happened to Bill is exactly what I fear...but...I suppose it's not really my decision to make. I...I have no objection."

Ron nodded solemnly but Harry swore that his friend was trying really hard to suppress a grin.

"Alright then," said McGonagal. "Harry Potter, please rise."

Harry nodded and stood up, not really expecting any resistance after what just happened.

"Objection."

Harry's jaw dropped as he turned to his right and stared at Remus.

"I'm kidding," he said with a laugh. "I'm not that big of an arse."

"It's really not the time for jokes," grumbled Mad-Eye Moody from the front of the room.

"Lighten up, Alastor," smiled Remus. "We need to keep our sense of humor. As long as we can still laugh, and smile, and remember better days long past, we'll always have that one advantage on You-Know-Who, who as you all know, can only remember hate and resentment."

"Sounds like something Dumbledore would've said," muttered Harry.

"It was something Dumbledore said," replied Remus with a smile. "And it's just as important as anything else."

"Well then, if Remus doesn't have any more extremely tactful comments," said McGonagal sarcastically, though she was smiling. "May we get on with this?"

"By all means," replied Remus, bowing his head with a smile.

"Very good. Would the four of you come up here please?"

Harry smiled as he, Ron, Hermione, and Fleur walked to the front of the room and stood before McGonagal.

"Kneel," she commanded. Harry turned and looked at Ron, who shrugged. Silently, the four of them obeyed. "The Order of the Phoenix's mission is to defeat the Dark Lord, no matter the cost. Through death, torture, battle, and blood, do you swear to continue on your mission, your own welfare expendable?"

"I swear it," replied Fleur, which Harry, Ron, and Hermione also quickly said.

"Do you swear never to waver in your loyalty to the Order, and should you be captured, swear never to reveal any information you have learned?"

"I swear it," they all said at the same time.

"And do you swear to protect the innocent, even at the cost of your own life?"

"I swear it," they repeated.

"You are to be honest, brave, noble, and true," said McGonagal. "That is your oath. You would do well not to forget it."

A golden light glowed around each of them softly for a moment before fading.

"Rise," said McGonagal with a smile.

The four of stood to applause and they took their seats.

"Well that could've been worse," said Ron as the clapping died down.

"It can always be worse," replied Hermione with a chuckle.

The rest of the meeting went smoothly. Nothing especially out of the ordinary was reported. Death eater sightings, casualty projections, and a report of future plans on the parts of both the Order and the death eaters were discussed, and before Harry knew it, the meeting was over.

"Next time," said McGonagal coming up to them as members of the Order began to leave. "Please inform me that you want to join before we start the meeting so I don't look like a fool."

"Well we can't very well join again, can we, Professor?" asked Hermione with a smile.

"I suppose not," she replied. "For what it's worth, I'm glad to have you three on board."

"Thanks," said Harry with a smile.

"I must be going now," said McGonagal. "I have business to attend to at the school. Until we meet again."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione watched as McGonagal turned and left the room.

"Well," said Ron, stretching his arms above his head. "I'm knackered. I'll see you guys." And he too left without a word.

"Well, erm..." said Harry, turning to look at Hermione, but she had turned around and walked out the back door. "Why does no one bother to say goodbye anymore?" he asked himself. Sighing, he followed Ron up the stairs to go to sleep.

=====

"Mum, please quit fussing!" exclaimed Bill. "Go help Fleur or help prepare, but please let me get dressed in peace."

"Oh alright dear," said Molly backing away. "I'm just so jittery."

"And you think I'm not?" asked Bill with a nervous chuckle.

"I suppose you are," replied Molly with a smile. "Make sure you're not late."

"I won't be Mum," replied Bill as Mrs. Weasley left the room. "Merlin, she won't give me a moment's peace."

"I imagine it's probably worse for Fleur," said Ron from his seat in the corner of the room. "Because Mum has to make her look perfect, heaven-forbid she might make you look bad."

Bill snorted.

"How do I look?" asked Harry, turning around from the mirror.

"Like Eloise Midgen," said George, straightening his tie.

"Minus the pimples," added Fred.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," said Harry, sitting down next to Ron.

"Don't mind them," said Charlie, frowning at the twins. "They're just having a go at you."

"Did you hear that, o' brother of mine?" asked Fred with a grin.

"Why I believe our dear brother said we were having a go at Harry," replied George.

"Us?" asked Fred looking at his twin.

"Nnooo," replied George in shock.

"Never," they said in unison.

"Oh put a sock in it you two," said Bill, tossing one of his dirty ones at them. "You two are as bad as Harry and Hermione."

"Excuse me?" said Ron and Harry at the same time. Bill, Charlie, Fred, and George all turned to look at them.

"Well it's true, mate," said Bill shrugging at Harry. "You should see the way you two talk to each other without talking."

Personally, Harry didn't agree and he thought Ron probably agreed with him based on the scowl on his face, but neither of them said anything.

"Alright," said Bill, turning around. "We about ready, chaps?"

"I think so," said Charlie. "We just have to wait for the word now."

"Oh, and if you two do anything funny while we're up there," said Bill, pointing his finger at the twins. "Do take care to remember that I work as a curse-breaker for the best bank in the world. So I know a few good ones."

"Ooh, do share," said Fred, his face lighting up. "If you tell us any real good ones, we'll go fifty-fifty with you when we turn it into a product."

"Oh, go stuff yourself," replied Bill with a laugh.

"You boys about ready?" asked Arthur, poking his head in the room.

"All set," said Bill, walking over to his father.

"I'm so proud of you, son," Mr. Weasley said, hugging Bill. "After all that's happened..."

"Let's not talk about that," interrupted Bill. "Let's just get on with it."

"Right then, let's go lads."

The six of them all shared a smile and followed Mr. Weasley out to the backyard, where two sections of white chairs had been set up so that the grass made an aisle down the middle of them, with a white arbor at the end of it.

"Who's going to be the minister?" asked Harry as they walked past the chairs which were mostly filled.

"Well, originally it was going to be Dumbledore," said Bill. "But...well, you know. So now it's a Justice of the Peace that's good friends with Dad at the Ministry. Name's Thompson."

Harry nodded at the short, bald man standing under the arbor as they lined up behind Bill, who was the closest to the aisle.

"Almost time, mate," whispered Ron to Harry. The words had barely left Ron's mouth when the back door to the Burrow opened and a woman Harry had never seen before walked out in a light blue dress, carrying a bouquet of lilies.

Harry watched intently as another woman he didn't know came out, followed by another, followed by Ginny.

'Fleur was right,' thought Harry. 'Ginny does look good in light blue.'

She smiled softly at him as she arrived at the front and took her place next to the other bridesmaids. Although Harry wasn't completely sure, he was confident that the Maid of Honor was the last to come in the procession before the bride, which meant -

"Mate," whispered Ron, nudging Harry in the ribs. "Look."

Harry turned and looked at the door to the Burrow, which had just opened to reveal Hermione. He felt his jaw slack slightly, but was coherent enough to keep his mouth closed. She smiled nervously at him and Ron as she walked up to the front and took her spot.

Harry stared at Hermione as though she was a whole new person. Her hair was in long, wavy curls, and the gown, if anything, made her look more like a woman than Harry had ever seen before. It wasn't until Ron nudged him again in the ribs that he actually noticed that the Justice had already begun the ceremony, and Fleur was standing hand-in-hand with Bill.

"Do you, William, take this woman to be your wife, under the eyes of the powers that be, and through the most sacred bonds of magic?"

"I do," smiled Bill.

"And do you, Fleur, take this man to be your husband, under the eyes of the powers that be, and through the most sacred bonds of magic?"

"I do," replied Fleur with a smile.

"Then let it be known to all present, that by the powers vested upon me by the Minister of Magic, I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

=====

"You really spaced out during the ceremony, mate," said Ron. He and Harry were seated at one of many round tables that were in the backyard now, the chairs and arbor having been removed to make room for the reception that was now going on in full swing.

The Weasleys had rented a band (Fred and George had actually rented the band, refusing to let their parents pay for everything), and an area had been cleared out at the center of the yard for dancing.

"I can't believe I missed almost all of it," replied Harry with a chuckle.

"What, were you daydreaming?" asked Ron.

"Something like that," replied Harry, not really wanting to let on that he had been staring at Hermione.

"Hello," said Hermione, coming over and having a seat at the table with them, a glass of champagne in hand. "Enjoying yourselves?"

"Yes," said Harry, watching her intently. "Do you think it's really a good idea to be drinking after what happened about a week ago?" he asked with a smile.

"It's the only glass I'm having," replied Hermione, sipping at it. "Besides, it's really good."

"Maybe I'll go grab a glass for myself then," said Harry, standing up. "You want one, Ron?"

"Uh, sure," he replied, looking slightly red. Harry looked at Hermione who shrugged, and he went off to find the refreshments table.

"Hey," said Ginny, as he found his destination. "Enjoying yourself?"

"I suppose," shrugged Harry, grabbing two glasses and a bottle of the champagne.

"You're drinking now?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Just one glass for me and Ron," he replied, pouring the drink.

"Mmm," she said, sipping at a red-colored drink. "Looks like he's a having a good time."

"Huh?" asked Harry. Ginny pointed at over at the space in the middle of the yard where Ron and Hermione were clearly dancing to a fairly slow song.

"He's fancied her for years," said Ginny off-handedly. "I never thought she liked him though, personally."

Harry didn't respond. The beast in his chest was frowning, and slightly sad at seeing his two best friends dancing together.

"You alright?" asked Ginny.

"Huh? Yeah I'm fine," he replied.

"You wanna dance?" she asked with a smile.

"Sorry, Gin," replied Harry. "I'm not feeling too well. I think I'm gonna go inside for a bit."

"Alright," said Ginny with a shrug. "Don't miss out on all the fun though."

Harry nodded and went inside the deserted house, not noticing the slight smile on Ginny's face as he did so.

The sun was starting to fade before anyone came inside, and it was the last person Harry wanted to face at the moment.

"Where've you been?" asked Ron. "I've been looking all over for you."

"In here, I wasn't feeling to good," replied Harry.

"Oh...well I just came in to use the bathroom," said Ron. "You should really go outside, Hermione's been wondering where you were."

"Alright," said Harry getting up, resigned to facing the world. He walked past Ron who looked at him curiously for a moment before heading up to his room, completely passing the bathroom.

"There you are, mate!" exclaimed Fred as Harry got outside. "Been looking all over for you."

"Why's that?" asked Harry. Fred smiled as he handed him a folded slip of parchment. "What's this?"

"Just open it," replied Fred. Harry shrugged and unfolded the paper, which read:

Gringott's Official Transaction Receipt

Transfer from Vault #1043 to Vault #687
Amt. 1,000 Galleons

Confirmation Number: A34W-78P

"What's this?" asked Harry, knowing that 687 was his vault number.

"That's for the money you gave us after you won the Tri-Wizard Tournament," replied Fred with a grin. "It's already been deposited directly into your vault, so you can't say no. And don't you dare try to give it back."

"You didn't have to do that, you know," said Harry with a small smile.

"We know," said George, coming over. "But we wanted to repay you. In our minds we still owe you for that."

"Well thanks," replied Harry. "You guys seen Hermione?"

"She's over there at that table," pointed Fred.

"Thanks," said Harry. "I'll see you guys later."

"Take it easy, mate," called out George.

"Hey," said Harry, sitting down next to Hermione.

"Hi," she replied. "Where've you been?"

"In the house," said Harry. "I wasn't feeling to well."

"I know the feeling," she mumbled.

"Huh?" asked Harry, not having caught what she said.

"Nothing," replied Hermione. "Would you like to go for a walk?"

"A walk?" asked Harry, surprised. "Sure."

Hermione stood up without a word and walked off past where the band was playing, into the woods.

"Hey," said Harry, jogging to catch up with her. "Slow down."

"Sorry," she replied sheepishly. "I'm just a bit pre-occupied."

"About what?" asked Harry.

"Ron kissed me," she blurted out.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"He kissed me," repeated Hermione.

"Erm..." The beast in Harry's chest let out a disappointed growl and started sulking.

"It was rather bad," said Hermione. The beast's ears perked up at this.

"Um..."

"We talked it over and we think it's better if we stay just friends," said Hermione. "He felt the same way...said he thought he was kissing Ginny for a moment."

"Uh..."

"Are you alright, Harry?" asked Hermione, stopping and facing him.

"What? Yeah, I'm just...just kinda taken aback is all."

"I know," said Hermione. "Ron and I have been talking about this for a few weeks now."

"What, your relationship?" asked Harry.

"There is no relationship," said Hermione with a shrug. "I guess we just needed to sort everything out. I think it'll be better in the long run."

"Oh."

They walked in silence for a while, and by the time they returned to the edge of the woods, night had fallen and everyone was inside the Burrow celebrating.

They walked over to the stone bench near the garden and sat down. Hermione rested her elbows on her knees and gazed up into the starry sky.

"What's up?" asked Harry.

"Stars," she replied, not looking away. Harry chuckled and turned to face her.

"You've been really distant lately," he said. "Everything alright?"

Hermione sighed and turned to look at him.

"I don't know," she said softly.

"What is it?" asked Harry.

"Harry..." she turned to look at him and he was surprised to see her eyes glistening.

"Come here," he said, pulling her into an embrace. "What's wrong?"

"I'm scared," whispered Hermione.

"Of?" he asked.

"Everything," she replied. "The world, this war...Voldemort, myself...you."

"It is a bit scary, isn't it?" he asked. Hermione nodded. "Why haven't you said anything before?"

"I didn't want to," she replied. "You needed me and -"

"Hermione...if you don't want to do this...say the word and I promise I won't hold it against you."

"I'm not going to say I want out," she said softly. "I'm just terrified of what might happen to all of us."

"Hermione..."

"You could die," she said pointedly. "I could die. Ron could die. Any of us could die just like that, and we can't even run from it."

Harry drew in a shaky breath and actually found himself close to tears.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'm sorry you have to be involved in this. I'm sorry everyone has to be involved in this."

"Don't be sorry," she replied. "It's the price I get to pay for being your friend. And I wouldn't have it any other way."

"We'll get him, Hermione," said Harry. "I promise we'll get him, and nothing will happen to you or Ron."

"You can't promise that," she replied, looking down. "You can't possibly know that we'll all live through this. And I...I..."

"What?" he asked, tilting her chin up so he could look at her eyes.

"I don't know what I would do if I lost you," she whispered, resting her forehead on his shoulder. "I don't think I've ever been this scared of anything in my life."

The two of them sat there in each other's arms for a long time, trying to comfort each other from the impending fate that was before them.

"I will do everything in my power to protect you and Ron," said Harry after a while. "There is nothing more important to me than yours and his safety."

"That's one of the things that scares me," said Hermione. "Is that I know you'll willingly sacrifice yourself to save us."

"Of course I would," he said. "Just like you would too."

"It's a bit different for me though," replied Hermione. "I don't have a prophecy hanging over my head."

"Prophecy or no," said Harry ."It doesn't matter. We're people. We're all the same when it boils down to it. We're all striving for the same thing." Hermione looked up at him curiously. "We're just all trying to live. Even Voldemort and his death eaters. In the long run, we're all just trying to live." Hermione smiled and sighed. "It's late," said Harry. "We should get inside before everyone wonders where we are."

"Yeah," sighed Hermione.

"We're going to be okay," said Harry, kissing her on the forehead. "We will."

"I hope you're right," replied Hermione as they got up and starting walking back towards the Burrow.

"And we have a big day ahead of us," said Harry.

"We do?" asked Hermione curiously.

"Of course," he said with a smile. "Because tomorrow, we go to Godric's Hollow."

--------------

And that's all, folks. Liked it? Hated it? Let me know!

This chapter contained the real icky part of the story. Yes, you had to hear Hermione say that Ron kissed her. Thankfully, there will be no more R/Hr 'moments' anymore.

As for the timing of my updates...well, I keep saying that I'm gonna have a weekly update, but that isn't getting me much of anywhere, so for right now expect one every two weeks. I know, it's a long time, but it's better than nothing. And MAYBE someday I'll get my ass in gear and turn it up to one a week. Hope you all had a great new year!