Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

Hello and welcome back!

I guess I chose the worst possible time to upload two Fridays ago...right as the servers were switching. Hindsight is 20/20, oh well lol.

Nothing else to say, so read on!

---------------

Chapter 15: Reunion and Loss

"It seems like it happened only yesterday," sighed Hermione, looking ahead.

They were standing, once again, on the topmost tier of the stone benches that surrounded the dais on which the Veil resided.

"It feels like it happened only yesterday," said Harry weakly, his eyes starting to burn with memories of his godfather.

"Let's not linger here," said Hermione, taking Harry's arm. "I'm sure Sirius wouldn't want you to get depressed over him."

"You're right," nodded Harry, taking a steadying breath. "Let's go."

Slowly, they descended down into the pit, Harry's eyes never leaving the spot where he had last seen Sirius.

They reached the dais and, just as before, Harry could hear the voices of the dead just beyond the curtain.

"There," whispered Hermione, pointing at a circular hole in the base of the dais.

"Right," said Harry, stepping forward, taking the ruby that he had received in the Hall of Reflection from his pocket

The voices were growing louder, but he pushed forward, kneeling in front of the great stone pedestal. Quickly, he plunged his hand, holding the ruby, into the hole.

A rush of images instantly flooded his mind. Images of the past...

"Take me, please, spare Harry..."

"Stand aside, foolish woman!"

More...

"Come on you can do better than that!" roared Sirius in laughter.

The second jet of light hit him square in the chest.

Images of the present...

"Seize them!" bellowed Snape, as Dennis and Marilyn Granger scrambled over the fence in their backyard, narrowly avoiding the stunners being sent at them.

"Come on Mary!" urged Dennis, trying to help her along.

"They got my leg," cried Marilyn, her right leg bent in an unnatural way.

"Come on, we have to get out of here - "

"That is quite enough," said Snape, appearing in front of them. "Stupefy."

Images of the future...

"See Potter?!" cackled Voldemort as he held his wand high above his head, controlling the limp form of Hermione like a marionette.

"Hermione!" bellowed Harry, his arms pinned behind his back by Goyle Senior.

"You can't do anything to save her now, Potter," grinned Voldemort. "You will watch her die."

Harry looked on helplessly as Hermione's eyes met his for the briefest of moments, all the love and regret in the world held in them. Her body went rigid, her mouth open in a silent scream as Voldemort ripped her apart from the inside. Blood streamed from the corners of Hermione's mouth as the light left her eyes.

"NO!" screamed Harry, tears of horror streaming down his face.

'Despair...' echoed a voice that didn't belong to the bracelet on Harry's wrist.

"What do you want?" sobbed Harry, his breathing erratic.

'Nothing you haven't already given me,' cackled the voice.

"What are you talking about?" asked Harry.

There was no response. Looking down, Harry saw the spots on the stone dais where his tears had fallen. Trying to subdue the burning in his eyes, he withdrew his hand from the hole. He was now gripping a shimmering sapphire instead of the ruby, and the three runes to the left of the diamond ones were now a bright red.

"Oh god..." whimpered Harry, collapsing to the ground.

"Harry!" exclaimed Hermione, running over to his aid. "Are you alright?"

"I'm sorry," he cried into her shoulder. "I'm so sorry."

"Harry," whispered Hermione comfortingly. "What is it?"

"He killed you," replied Harry, holding on to her tightly. "And I couldn't stop him."

"You saw Voldemort kill me?" she asked softly. Harry nodded. "Harry...look at me."

Harry looked up into her eyes and relaxed as Hermione leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips.

"I'm with you," she whispered when she pulled away. "And I always will be, no matter what happens."

"I love you," said Harry, resting his forehead on hers.

"I love you too," smiled Hermione.

'Never a challenge for you, Harry Potter.'

"The bracelet," said Harry, looking down at it.

'Curious as to where you need to go next?'

"I suppose," sighed Harry.

'You'll find your next step in a building like Pandora's Box.'

"What is that supposed to mean?" asked Harry. "Honestly, couldn't you just tell me straight up where to go?"

'It'd be a bit tough, seeing how I don't know,' remarked the bracelet. 'I've only been told the clues.'

"Alright," sighed Harry, and he felt the bracelet's presence leave him.

"What was that about?" asked Hermione.

"Something about Pandora's Box," said Harry, shaking his head. "Let's get out of here, I'm sure Ron's being chased around the Ministry as we speak."

They rose to their feet and began to walk away from the dais when one of the voices of the dead spoke clearly.

"Harry..."

Harry spun around and whipped out his wand, aiming it at the veil.

"What is it?" asked Hermione, visibly startled. "Harry?"

Not answering her, he inched forward until he was almost standing on the dais.

"Sirius?" he asked hesitantly, looking down at the hole where despair was lurking.

"Harry, my boy, look at you," Sirius' voice echoed in Harry's head. He drew in a sharp breath and looked up at the curtain, expecting to see his godfather, but the veil fluttering slightly was all that met his gaze.

"Are you alright?" asked Harry softly.

"Much better now that I know you are," replied the voice with a hint of mirth. "The only thing I've regretted about dying so far is that I never knew how you ended up that night a year and a half ago."

"Why can't I see you?" asked Harry, straining, hoping for some sort of glimpse.

"No one can see through death, laddie," chuckled Sirius. "I can't see you either."

"Can you find a way back?" asked Harry hopefully.

"Death is a one-way trip," replied Sirius. "The veil doesn't go both ways, I'm afraid."

"Then how is it I can talk to you?" said Harry.

"Well, I don't know the mechanics of the thing, but the veil is a portal that facilitates the transition between life and death...I guess sound must be able to pass both ways."

"Harry?" asked Hermione softly.

"Can she hear us?" asked Harry.

"Now she can," replied Sirius. Hermione's eyes widened and her hands flew to her mouth. "Sorry about that, couldn't tell you were there Hermione."

"S-Sirius?" she asked, bringing a hand to her mouth in shock.

"What's left of me anyway," he laughed.

"How?" asked Hermione.

"The world works in mysterious ways," said Sirius. "You are in the Department of Mysteries, after all."

"So what...what's it like?" asked Harry.

"Death?" asked Sirius. "Peaceful...not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Especially when you get to see all your old friends again."

"Friends?" asked Harry. "Sirius...are...are my parents there?"

"Hello, son."

"Dad?" asked Harry breathlessly.

"It's so wonderful to hear your voice," replied James Potter. "Your mother and I are so happy to be able to talk to you, if only for a little while.

"Is she there too?"

"I am," said the voice of Lily Potter. "I'm glad to know you're well, Harry."

"Y-yeah..." said Harry, too stunned to speak. "Oh um...Mum, Dad, this is Hermione, my future wife."

"Harry," whispered Hermione blushing.

"It's lovely to finally meet you, dear," said Lily. "Sirius has told us so much about you."

"He talks about me?" asked Hermione, her interest piqued.

"Well, it was always obvious to him that you two were meant for each other," laughed James. "I'm glad to hear he was right, you seem like a remarkable girl."

"More than you know," smiled Harry.

"Stop it," blushed Hermione. "We both know I'd be nothing without you."

"Troll food?" laughed Harry.

"Someday in the very distant future, you'll have to tell us all of your inside stories when we have more time," laughed James.

"I still have so much I want to ask you both," said Harry.

"You'll have time," said Lily comfortingly. "Eventually. For right now, you seem to have all you need in that wonderful woman standing next to you."

Hermione smiled softly and Harry squeezed her hand tightly.

"Before we have to go, can you get Dumbledore for me?" asked Harry. "I want to ask him something quickly."

"Dumbledore?" asked Sirius and James at the same time. "What makes you think he's over here?"

"...I saw him die," stated Harry after a moment.

"Bollocks," said Sirius. "Dumbledore can't die."

"I saw it with my own two eyes," replied Harry.

"Well he's not over here," said James. Harry went silent as his mind started to reel.

"Perhaps you saw what he wanted you to see, and not what actually happened," said Lily softly. "Our time is up. We'll see you eventually Harry. We love you."

"I love you too Mum. And Dad. And you Sirius," smiled Harry.

"Say hi to Remus for us! Until next time!" called Sirius, his voice fading into the standard mass of murmurs.

Harry turned and looked at Hermione, a lone tear of happiness rolling down her cheek. Smiling, he pulled her tight to him and sighed.

"They like me," she whispered.

"It's a shame they can't see you like I can," said Harry.

"In time," said Hermione. They smiled and stood in each others arms for a moment, until the door at the entrance to the room burst open, Ron running inside and closing it quickly behind him.

"Oh, I see," he drawled, hyperventilating. "I've been running my arse off around here, trying to keep from getting caught by the aurors, and you two are down here snogging."

"We are not snogging," corrected Harry. "We were talking to my parents."

Ron opened his mouth to speak then stopped.

"Come again?" he asked.

"You heard me," laughed Harry. "Now come on, we should get out of here."

"Not so fast," a cold voice said from the doorway to the room where the brains resided. The three of them turned to find Rufus Scrimgeour staring at them with his arms crossed. "You all have some explaining to do."

=====

"Now then," said the minister, sitting at the desk in his office, the three teens in chairs in front of him. "Care to tell me why you were in the Department of Mysteries at three in the morning?"

"I am more than willing to tell you that it's none of your business," said Harry, crossing his arms, wondering if the guards standing outside the door could hear them.

"Very well," sighed Scrimgeour. "In that case I guess I'll have no choice but to arrest the three of you for trespassing on government property...and add vandalism charges to the red-haired one."

"You would put the only chance of winning this war in a cell?" asked Harry appraisingly.

"So you do know more than you or Dumbledore were letting on," nodded the Minister. "Why are you the only person capable of killing him?"

"How can we trust you?" asked Hermione. "You just threatened us with prison time if we didn't give you what you wanted."

"I drive a hard bargain," shrugged Rufus. "Are you going to tell me or not?"

"I want some proof that you'll not tell anyone what's going on," said Harry. "And a silencing charm on this office."

Rufus considered this for a moment before pressing a button on his desk.

"Dawlish?" he asked.

"Yes, sir?" the auror's voice responded.

"Bring Stan Shunpike up here please."

"Right away sir."

Harry stared in confusion at the minster for the minute it took the ex-conductor of the Knight Bus to arrive. He still had as many pimples, but was much thinner and paler.

"Yes?" he asked in a defeated tone of voice.

With a flourish of his wand, Rufus conjured up a piece of parchment and quickly signed his name on it.

"This is your official executive pardon," said Scrimgeour, turning the parchment around so Stan could read it. "Please sign it."

"You...you're letting me go?" asked Stan, as Harry, Hermione, and Ron watched on in amazement.

"Some evidence has been brought to my attention that proves you were wrongfully arrested," said the minister. "You will be fully compensated for the treatment you received while you were here."

"Well geez...thanks," said Stan, amazed. Taking the quill he signed his name on the parchment.

"Dawlish, please escort Mister Shunpike to his place of residence and make sure his pantry is well stocked for the next few days," said Rufus.

"Yes, sir," replied Dawlish, turning to a flabbergasted Stan Shunpike, who opened his mouth to say something to Harry on the way out, but couldn't find the words.

"An act of goodwill on my part," said Rufus, once they had gone. "I believe you had been wanting his release for some time, Harry."

Harry nodded slowly, still amazed at what had just transpired.

"I like my office very much," remarked Rufus, looking around. "But as much as I like it, the welfare of my people is what matters to me the most. It is clear to me that you are going to be a vital part in winning this war, Harry. If it is still not too late, I would again like to request your help."

"If we're going to be partners, I need to make one thing very clear," said Harry, leveling his gaze at Rufus. "You don't get my help. I get yours."

The minister considered him for a moment before sighing.

"I don't like it," said Rufus. "But I know from decades in the Auror Division that it's easier to win when you're not fighting amongst yourselves. You have the aide of the Ministry."

"It's a deal then," nodded Harry.

"So what were you doing down there?" asked Rufus, as the three teens stood up and turned to leave.

"What do you know about the Legend of the King of Light?" asked Harry, glancing slightly over his shoulder. He could see Rufus' eyes widen slightly as he said this. "Good. I can see that I don't need to say any more. We'll meet again, Minister."

=====

"What a night," groaned Ron, as the reached King's Cross station. The sky was beginning to get light and the teens had just been dropped off by a Ministry car at the station.

"Yeah," said Harry, stretching, as they reached the archway between platforms 9 and 10. "All together then?"

"Sure," said Ron, leaning up against the bricks as Harry and Hermione did the same. They all slid through at the same time and nearly fell down at the sight that lay before them.

"My god..." whispered Hermione.

The Hogwarts Express was in ruins, blown apart. The platform had large pieces of metal, portions of compartments and the like lying all over it, and there were several gaping holes in the ceiling and walls.

"It looks like one of those muggle bongs went off in here," commented Ron, taken aback.

"Bombs," corrected Harry and Hermione at the same time. "How did this happen?" asked Hermione.

"I don't know," said Harry, kicking around some debris on the ground. "This can't be good."

"Tell me about it," said Hermione. "How are we going to get back?"

"We could try apparating to Hogsmeade," suggested Ron. Harry nodded and closed his eyes, but just as he was about to feel the familiar squeezing sensation, he was blocked.

"I can't do it," said Harry, confused. "I don't get it."

"It must be an anti-apparition field," said Hermione, worried. "That only means one thing."

"Hogsmeade is under attack," nodded Harry.

"What now?" asked Ron.

"It'll be slower than apparition...but we can use the Knight Bus," said Harry.

"Let's go then," said Hermione, already on her way out of the station.

They reached the curb and Harry wasted no time in calling the bus. All three of them were extremely surprised to see Stan greet them.

"You're back working already?" asked Harry, amazed.

"Course," smiled the conductor. "This bus is me home, after all. What can I do fer ya?"

"We need to get to Hogsmeade as fast as you can get us there," said Harry.

"Well, get in then," said Stan. "You got me out of prison Harry, I owe you."

"Don't worry about it," smiled Harry.

"Hey Ern!" called Stan

"Ya?" asked the driver.

"Nonstop express to Hogsmeade," called Stan as Harry, Hermione, and Ron boarded and took their seats. "And step on it!"

"Blimey I didn't know this thing could go this fast," muttered Ron as the bus took off, moving at least three times its normal speed.

"Only fer emergencies," called out Stan. "We'll be there in about ten minutes."

"Drop us off at the base of the mountain on the outskirts of the village," called Harry. "We don't want to attract attention."

"Can I ask why?" asked Stan, as the bus made a sharp turn and Harry had to catch Hermione when she flew out of her seat.

"We think it's under attack," called Hermione, smiling gratefully at Harry.

"I hope you don't expect us to stick around then, do you?" asked Stan looking slightly worried. "I know I owe you and all Harry, but fighting You-Know-Who isn't something I'd fancy."

"Don't worry, the ride will be enough," called Harry.

They spent the rest of the ride without conversation, too busy hanging on for dear life as the bus hurtled through the countryside.

"Almost there!" called out Stan. "Get ready!"

The bus halted a moment later, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione, ran up to the front and got off.

"Good luck you three," said Stan. "Looks like you're gonna need it."

Harry nodded in thanks and turned to face the village as the bus shot away from them. Smoke was rising from several buildings, and in the distance, looming above Hogwarts in the predawn light, the emerald green skull and serpent hung just like it had several months ago.

"Bloody hell," whispered Ron. "Look at what happens when we're gone for a couple hours."

"Let's go," said Harry, stepping forward and drawing his wand.

The three teens walked in wary silence for the next five minutes, keeping an eye out as they entered the main part of the village.

"It's just like King's Cross," whispered Hermione, looking around. Sure enough, many of the buildings were wrecked, the ones that were still standing were obviously barely so.

"Look over there!" whispered Ron urgently, pointing at a figure lying in the middle of the road ahead of them.

"Be on guard," said Harry, as they approached the person.

"Harry?" asked Hermione, as the reached the body. "Oh god...it's Remus."

Harry quickly kneeled down next to his friend. He was badly bruised, as if he had been inside one of the buildings when it collapsed, and was bleeding from several places on his face.

"Harry?" he asked weakly.

"Remus," said Harry. "Stay with me now."

"The woods...taking refuge in the woods..."

And with that he lost consciousness.

"Let's go," said Harry, using his wand to levitate Remus.

As fast as the three of them could run, they took off for the Forbidden Forest, trying to shake the increasing feeling of dread as they ran by the castle.

When they were a long way into the forest, Harry slowed enough so that they could catch their breath for a few moments.

"Look, isn't there any way we can find out where we're supposed to be going?" asked Ron, doubling over. "I mean, this forest is so incredibly large -"

"Quiet," hissed Harry urgently, looking around. He had heard a rustle in the foliage and was looking around intently at his surroundings.

"Might just be a small animal," said Hermione.

"Harry?" called a voice to their right.

"Who's there?" yelled Harry, whipping around.

"It's me, Charlie," said Charlie Weasley, stepping out from underneath an invisibility cloak. "We've been hoping you'd come find us here - bloody hell is that Remus?!"

"Yeah, we found him in Hogsmeade," said Harry. "Where is everyone?"

"Not far from here, come on I'll lead the way," nodded Charlie, jogging off ahead of them.

A few minutes later they saw the telltale flicker of a campfire in the distance, and it only took another minute to reach the camp.

"Remus!" shrieked Tonks running over. Her face was sunken and her eyes were red; it looked as if she had gone through too much in a short amount of time.

"He's alive," breathed Harry. "We found him in Hogsmeade."

"Poppy!" yelled Tonks, standing next to Remus. "Help!"

The Hogwarts nurse came running over, her usually flawless white apron smeared with dirt and blood.

"His vitals are dropping," she said, running her wand over his unconscious body. "I'll take him into tent two."

She promptly assumed control of Remus, and floated him into a nearby tent, Tonks following with shaky sobs.

With the urgent problem quelled for the moment, Harry took a moment to look around the area and his jaw nearly dropped when he saw how big it actually was.

There was an average-sized campfire in the middle of the area, surrounded by at least two dozen students seeking the warmth. About twenty tents were scattered amongst the trees, and more students were sitting around, talking with each other.

"It looks like all of Hogwarts is here..." sighed Harry an overwhelming sense of loss coming to him.

"Glad to see you guys made it back alright," said a voice to their right. Harry started slightly and turned to see Neville standing next to him.

"Blimey, Nev, don't scare me like that," said Harry shaking his head.

"Sorry," said Neville sheepishly.

"Neville, what happened?" asked Hermione.

"It's not my place to tell you," he sighed. "McGonagal wants to speak to you herself about that."

"Where are Luna and Ginny?" asked Ron.

"Ginny's sleeping by the fire," frowned Neville, putting his hands into his pockets and looking down at the ground. "Luna..."

"Neville," said Ron warningly.

"She's here," he sighed again. "But she was injured very badly in the escape. They're not sure if she's going to make it, Ron."

Harry turned to look at his friend and saw that the color in his face had drained completely.

"Where...where is she?" whispered Ron.

"Tent six," said Neville, pointing to a tent by the fire.

Ron didn't say another word, he simply walked off towards the tent, not looking back even once.

"I suppose I should take you two to see McGonagal," said Neville. Harry nodded slowly, still in shock from the news about Luna. "This way."

They followed Neville into the largest tent in the camp. Seated at a table inside were McGonagal, Kingsley, and Moody.

"Good to see you made it back," said McGonagal, standing up. "Neville, thank you."

"Yes, ma'am," said Neville, turning and leaving the tent.

"We were worried," said Minerva, frowning slightly.

"What the hell happened?" asked Harry desperately.

"After I went to help Remus and Tonks with your little 'situation'," said Moody, "we apparated back to Hogsmeade just in time to see Voldemort and his death eaters storm the area."

"And?" asked Harry.

"Remus went into one of the buildings that caught fire," sighed Kingsley. "He wasn't in there for ten seconds when it blew apart. We didn't think he had made it and had to drag a screaming Tonks out of the village, and back to camp here."

"No wonder she looked so distraught," sighed Harry, running his hands through his hair. "So does anyone want to explain to me why we're all camped out like this?"

"Voldemort attacked, obviously," said McGonagal. "We weren't ready, he stormed the school with about two hundred death eaters and started firing off killing curses left and right."

"How many dead?" asked Harry, finding Hermione's hand for support.

"Out of the entire population, there are eleven students and two teachers missing, presumed either already dead or soon to be," said Moody.

"Anyone I know?" asked Harry.

"The teachers are Professor Slughorn and Sibyll Trelawney," said McGonagal. "Two I am quite concerned about, actually."

"Slughorn because he knows so much, and Trelawney because she made the prophecy," frowned Hermione.

"Quite right," sighed McGonagal. "I hope Horace can avoid divulging what he knows...it would undoubtedly cause us to lose this war if Voldemort found out about everything we've worked so hard to keep from him."

"What about the students?" asked Harry.

"Draco is probably the most important one," said McGonagal. "But since he's lived in the company of death eaters his entire life, I'm sure he can handle himself. Either that or he's already dead."

"And the others?" asked Harry.

"I'm afraid to say that Seamus Finnigan is one of them," said McGonagal sadly. "I don't believe you know the other nine."

"Seamus," whispered Harry, bowing his head.

"Do we know why Voldemort attacked in the first place?" asked Hermione.

"Wanted to make a point, most likely," said Moody. "That there's no place in all of Europe that's safe from him."

"And he did a good job of it," said Kingsley. "I wonder how the world will react when the headlines later on read, 'Dark Lord captures Hogwarts!'"

"I'm going outside," said Harry. "I need some air."

"We've prepared a tent for you, Hermione, and Ron," said McGonagal as Harry turned his back.

"Do the other students have tents also?" asked Harry.

"No, but -"

"Then I'll sleep outside with them," he said, swiftly walking from the tent, Hermione close behind him.

Harry had walked a little ways away into the trees before Hermione stopped him.

"We shouldn't go too far," she said, taking his hand. "It might not be safe."

"Innocent students, Hermione," said Harry, staring straight ahead. "Not students...people. Friends. Seamus...Luna..."

"It's not fair," whispered Hermione. "I know it isn't."

"They don't deserve this," said Harry, staring at the specks of sunlight that were starting to stream through the trees. "There's just too much suffering. And it's all his bloody fault!"

Harry punched the tree nearest him so hard that the bark shattered where he made contact. Tears of frustration started to fall as he slumped to the ground, Hermione with him.

"Give me that," she whispered, taking his hand which was already bleeding. Waving her wand over it, the wounds healed up quickly and she promptly wrapped her arms around him tightly. "We'll all get through this, Harry. We have to."

"I'm just terrified that one day you'll be on one of those lists too," whispered Harry, holding her tightly.

"Don't think about that," she said softly. "Just think happier thoughts."

"Like what?" asked Harry in a very dismayed tone of voice.

"Think about us together on a porch swing, looking over our backyard while our grandchildren roll and play in the fresh spring grass, the smell of homemade apple pie in the air without a cloud in the sky," said Hermione softly.

"What did I do to deserve you?" blinked Harry, looking at her after a moment.

"I ask myself that same question every time you kiss me," replied Hermione with a soft smile.

"Stay with me," asked Harry, taking her hand. "Just...please. Stay and rest with me here."

"I'd never leave you, you know that," smiled Hermione, laying her head in his lap.

Harry stared off into the distance and finally felt the fatigue of the night start to overtake him. Closing his eyes, he draped his arm over Hermione's body and lay back against the trunk of the tree, songs of mourning from the waking birds finally lulling him to sleep.

---------------

I had another brain block this week, so I watched some movies for ideas and got one that you all should remember very well.

At some point in everyone's lives, they must make the choice between what is right, and what is easy.

Goblet of Fire for the win.

My last note to you this week, is remember what I've been saying. If at some point in your lives, you can impart any wisdom, be it mine, someone else's, or your own, to someone else, then that's all that matters. Until next time!