Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000

What a hectic couple of weeks. I'd tell you all about them, but I'm sure you're more interested in reading the story than hearing about my personal life, so I'll leave it at one word. Montreal.

And I'm SO sorry for getting this out

a couple of days

a week late...er...real life did it's normal thing to me again.

Read on!

---------------

Chapter 16: The Camp

The next couple of weeks passed in a haze for Harry. All thoughts of kingly quests and searching for pieces of his archenemy's soul were pushed aside to help with the injured as much as possible. It had been an especially rough few days, with two more students dying from injuries, a fifth year and a second year.

Harry was seated by the currently extinguished campfire, doing his best to keep attention away from himself.

"Hey," a soft voice said from behind him. Harry didn't even have to turn and look to know who it was as Hermione sat down next to him.

"We lost Jacob today," he sighed, not looking at her.

"Oh, Harry...I'm so sorry," she whispered, resting her head on his shoulder.

"He was twelve," muttered Harry, shaking his head. "Bloody unfair if you ask me."

"Nothing is fair about who lives and who dies," said Hermione, taking his hand.

"Tell me about it," grumbled Harry. He heard footsteps coming towards him and looked up to see his best mate shuffling towards them, looking pale as ever.

"Hey guys," he said, sitting down next to them. They had only seen Ron twice since they had arrived back at the camp, and neither time had they exchanged words.

"How is she?" asked Harry. Being that Ron had been keeping vigil by Luna's side since they arrived, Harry and Hermione had agreed that he deserved his privacy with her, and hadn't gone to visit.

"Same as she has been," sighed Ron, running his hand through his hair.

"Did you find out how it happened?" asked Hermione.

"According to Dean they were running through the halls and reached a set of stairs when several curses were cast at them," sighed Ron. "She was thrown down the stairs face first. When she landed some large chunks of rock from the castle walls fell on her."

"How bad are her injuries?" asked Harry.

"Pomfrey said her skull was cracked in three places and she was beginning to drown from fluid build-up in her lungs when they got to the camp," said Ron, and it was obvious to Harry and Hermione he was trying hard to not cry. "They managed to stabilize her just in time, but she's in a coma now."

"My god," whispered Hermione.

"She'll pull through," encouraged Harry. "Luna's a resilient girl."

"I suppose," muttered Ron in a very Harry-esque fashion. "You two been up to much lately?"

"We've been trying to help as many people as possible," said Hermione.

"Mmm," grunted Ron. "How's Remus?"

"Better," sighed Harry. "Pomfrey expects he'll make a full recovery."

"That's good," sighed Ron. "I feel like I haven't been a good friend, not visiting him at all."

"He understands," said Hermione. "It's not like Harry and I are perfect either, we haven't been around to see Luna after all."

"Yeah...it's all been so bloody hectic," muttered Harry. The three of them sat in silence for a moment before Ron spoke up.

"Oh, McGonagal wants to see you by the way," he said sullenly.

"How come?" asked Harry.

"Dunno," replied Ron. "But from the way she asked, it sounded like she was a bit impatient."

"She might want to know why we haven't made progress on the horcruxes and the bracelet," said Hermione as Harry sighed and stood up.

"We destroyed the locket and we're halfway done with this thing," he said, holding out the wrist on which the bracelet was hanging. "Honestly, she can't expect us to get so lucky every time."

"We did get lucky," commented Hermione, standing up. "But we haven't been really diligent about continuing."

"I think there have been more pressing matters," grumbled Harry. "D'you wanna come with, Ron?"

"Thanks mate, but I think I'm gonna head back to Luna," he said, rising as well. "I don't want her to wake up and be alone."

"Of course," smiled Hermione ruefully as Ron walked off.

"C'mon," said Harry. "I s'pose we should get this over with."

"Harry," said Hermione gently, taking his hand. "Don't act like you're walking to the firing squad. I could be wrong and she might want to talk about something completely unrelated."

"And since when are you wrong?" said Harry with a slight smile.

"Touche," chuckled Hermione softly.

"I guess you're right," sighed Harry. "I have been a little pessimistic lately."

"A little?" smiled Hermione.

"Don't push it, Granger," joked Harry, squeezing her hand.

They arrived at the main tent to find McGonagal hunched over a large map spread out on a table, with figurines placed in different spots on it.

"A war map?" asked Hermione as they approached her. "Has it really come to this?"

"I'm afraid so, Miss Granger," sighed McGonagal, standing up. "While we are protected by the combination of several charms, we have no way of receiving supplies from the outside world either."

"So we're under siege," muttered Harry. "Does that mean Voldemort knows we're hiding out here?"

"Probably," nodded McGonagal. "But like I said, perimeter and displacement charms work very well to keep us hidden."

"So what now?" asked Harry. "Can't we send for supplies?"

"It might not be that easy," replied McGonagal. "We can't risk sending out owls to let people know what we need, and no one from the outside world can find us on their own."

"Couldn't someone just go out and get them?" asked Harry. "I mean, if we could get in so easily, couldn't we get out too?"

"Theoretically," said McGonagal. "But the fewer people we send out, the better. We don't want to attract attention to ourselves, after all. I'd prefer to wait until you've figured out where you need to go next, so you can do that and get what we need at the same time."

"So this is about my so-called quest," said Harry, darkening.

"You do understand the importance of finishing it, don't you?" asked McGonagal, arching an eyebrow.

"And you understand the importance of not letting more people die, right?" countered Harry. "You know Jacob Mitchells died not an hour ago."

"Another one?" asked McGonagal, deflated.

"Yes. I think for the time being the students need my help," said Harry defensively.

"Harry, you know in the long run fewer people will die if you finish this business quicker," said McGonagal.

"And what about the ones who've died already?" asked Harry, crossing his arms.

"They would want you to help save their families, the ones who aren't protected like we are," replied McGonagal with conviction.

"I'll think about it," said Harry, turning on his heel and walking from the tent.

He didn't stop and turn around until he was well out of the main camp and Hermione was chasing after him, calling his name.

"Harry wait!" she called.

"Yeah?" asked Harry impatiently.

"Harry...why are you mad at me?" she asked softly. "I'm not trying to change your mind."

"I'm sorry," he sighed, sitting down on the ground. "Honestly I don't know why this is bothering me so much..."

"I do," whispered Hermione, sitting down on his lap. "It's because you want to do the right thing, but you're scared that if you mess it up we'll all be doomed."

"I'm...I'm just so tired of all of this," said Harry, defeated. Hermione stared off at the tree behind him a moment before he looked up at her. "What is it?"

"Harry," she whispered. "Let me make it better."

"Huh?" he asked.

"Let me help you forget about all of this...even just for a minute."

"I...I don't follow."

"Oh bloody hell!" exclaimed Hermione, exasperated. "I'm asking if you want to...to be with me."

"I am with you."

"No!" exclaimed Hermione with nervous laughter. "I mean...be with me."

Harry's brow furrowed for a moment before he looked at her wide-eyed, the implications of her offer washing over him.

"Are you..."

"Serious?" finished Hermione. "Very."

"But I mean...look at the position we're in right now," he said softly.

"Seems like a rational enough position," smiled Hermione, referring to herself in his lap.

"I'm serious," said Harry, softly. "I mean, is now the best time?"

"You...you don't want to?" asked Hermione, confused.

"I'm not saying that..." said Harry sheepishly. Hermione looked at him for a moment before sighing.

"I see," she said softly. "I'll leave you alone." And without another word she stood up and walked off dejectedly.

Harry sat stunned for a moment before he got up and followed after her.

"Hey," he said, taking her hand gently. "Why are you upset?"

"I'm not," lied Hermione.

"I think I know you well enough to know when you're upset," said Harry seriously.

"I don't know...I suppose I'm being foolish," replied Hermione. "I guess when you said you didn't want to...I think some part of me thought you didn't want to with me."

"Nothing could be farther from the truth," said Harry, stepping in front of her so she had to stop walking. "It's just not the easiest subject for me to talk about, that's all."

"Try," asked Hermione. Harry took a deep breath to steady himself.

"Look...all of this...the war, the camp, I don't want our first time to happen because of outside circumstances," he sighed. "I want it to be..."

"Special?"

"Yeah," smiled Harry sadly. "I want it to be when you and I can be together without having to care for others...without a worry in the world."

"Harry?" asked Hermione. "That could be a very long way off..."

"Shite..." muttered Harry, running a hand through his hair. "That's not how I meant it."

"You want it to be when it matters the most, not when it would help you feel better," smiled Hermione ruefully.

"Yeah," nodded Harry. "You understand, don't you?"

"Of course," smiled Hermione. "Remember though...just because you realised that you loved me a few months ago doesn't mean the same goes for me."

"I know," nodded Harry. "And I promise...when the time is right."

"You are something else, Harry Potter," sighed Hermione, weaving her fingers with his as they walked back towards the camp.

"The same could be said of you, Miss Granger," he smiled, squeezing her side lightly.

When they arrived back in the camp, they were met by Tonks, who although obviously still extremely worn out, looked much better now that Remus was going to be okay.

"Hey Tonks," nodded Harry.

"Wotcher you two," smiled Tonks. "Where've you been?"

"Out for a walk," said Harry, returning the smile. "How's Remus?"

"He's the reason I came to find you, actually," said Tonks. "He woke up a little while ago and wanted to speak with you when you had the chance."

"Sounds like he's doing much better," said Hermione as Tonks led them over to the tent Remus was in.

"Loads," nodded Tonks. "And thank Merlin...I thought for sure he was gone when you all brought him in."

"I believe it," sighed Harry as they entered the tent.

This tent had always reminded Harry of a military barracks. Although it was the second largest tent in the camp next to McGonagal's on the outside, the inside had been magically charmed to be larger and was the size of a gymnasium. Row upon row of beds were present, mostly for the injured, but Harry had come to learn in the weeks he had been there that the uninjured students frequently drew straws for the unused beds each night.

As they walked over to Remus, Harry cringed at one of the older students lying in a bed nearby.

"Anna Thacker," said Tonks, seeing Harry's expression. "She probably won't make it through the end of the week."

"What happened?" whispered Hermione as they passed her. The girl's face had no color left in it, deep gashes and marks that looked like cigarette burns riddled her head, neck, and what they could see of her arms. Her hair was pulled out in a couple places, the rest was matted down with dried blood, presumably her own.

"She was one of the students being tortured by death eaters that was rescued by the escape party," sighed Tonks. "She was a sixth year...I think Ginny knows her."

"What house was she in?" asked Harry.

"Slytherin," said Tonks as they reached Remus. "Just goes to show you that the house doesn't really mean anything to the death eaters."

"Hey you two," smiled Remus at Harry and Hermione.

"And I don't get a hello?" pouted Tonks.

"Come back later and I'll give you a proper one," winked Remus.

"Fair enough," said Tonks, blushing slightly. "I'll let you three alone."

"I hear I have you two and Ron to thank for me being alive," smiled Remus once she had gone.

"I wish people wouldn't say things like that," sighed Harry with a small smile. "If we say yes, we're being conceited, and if we say no we're lying."

"It's why I said it," grinned Remus. "But thank you...it means a lot to me, probably more to Tonks."

"Means a lot to me too," smiled Harry, putting his hand on Remus' shoulder. "I mean, we can't let the last of the Marauders die like that."

"How very true," grinned Remus. "I'm sure Sirius is up there laughing at me right now as we speak."

Harry shared a thoughtful look with Hermione at the mention of Sirius.

"What is it?" asked Remus.

"I'm not sure you're quite well enough to hear this story yet," said Harry, turning back to him.

"What story?" asked Remus.

"I talked to him," said Harry. "And my parents."

Remus considered him carefully for a moment.

"In a dream?" he asked.

"Real life," chuckled Harry. "I can't believe it myself sometimes."

"You know it's not nice to joke with an injured man," said Remus with a smile.

"I'm not joking," replied Harry.

"It's true," said Hermione. "Long story short, the next part of the quest took us to the Death Arch in the Ministry."

"For the bracelet?" asked Remus. Harry nodded.

"They talked to us," he said. "Mum, Dad, Sirius...we got to talk to them."

"You...you aren't serious, are you?" asked Remus.

"Would I lie about something like this?" countered Harry.

"It wouldn't be the strangest thing I've ever heard," sighed Remus, gazing at the ceiling. "Are they well?"

"Quite," smiled Harry. "They wanted us to tell you 'hi' for them."

"There are so many things in this world that I can't understand," scoffed Remus, shaking his head. "A portal that allows you to communicate with the dead...imagine what would happen if something like that fell into the wrong hands."

"Like time?" asked Harry, referring to another room in the Department of Mysteries.

"There are so many things in there that are best left alone," sighed Remus. "I would be terrified if I heard Voldemort figured out how to communicate with the dead, let alone got his hands on a time turner."

Harry looked at Hermione cautiously as the thought of Voldemort going back in time to save himself that night at Godric's Hollow crossed his mind.

"But enough depressing talk," said Remus, refocusing his attention on Harry and Hermione. "I heard something from Tonks that I didn't really care for."

"Which is?" asked Harry.

"You aren't very inclined to keep at your task," said Remus, raising an eyebrow.

"News travels fast," groaned Harry, shaking his head.

"When it concerns the fate of the world?" questioned Remus. "You should know better than that, Harry."

"Look," said Harry. "Is it too much, after everything I've been through, to ask for some time to sort out my bloody life?"

"No," sighed Remus. "But unfortunately time isn't something we have a whole lot of right now."

"I know you just want to help Remus," said Harry. "But please don't put any more pressure me than I already have."

"Alright," nodded Remus. "If it makes you feel better, we're not as far behind in this war as you think we are."

"Why do you say that?" asked Harry.

"I don't hold much store in destiny," said Remus, his gaze flickering up to the ceiling again. "But after everything that's happened...with the prophecy, the bracelet...I can't help but feel we're destined to win this war."

"That makes one of us," smiled Harry ruefully.

"Take care Harry," smiled Remus. "Hopefully I won't see you again for a little while."

"We'll see," sighed Harry, shaking hands with his old mentor for a moment before turning to leave, Hermione giving Remus a quick smile before following.

"Why are you so scared about all of this?" asked Hermione once they were out of the tent.

"I'm not scared," said Harry unconvincingly.

"You are," said Hermione softly. "I can see it in your eyes."

"Look," said Harry, turning around to face her. "Look at what's happened. Remus, Luna...everyone else, that poor girl in the hospital tent...they're there because of -"

"If you say 'me', I will slap you," said Hermione cutting him off. "They're there because of Voldemort, and no one else."

"He was after me," retorted Harry.

"Not according to McGonagal," said Hermione. "From what I've heard, he waited until we were gone to attack the school, because he wanted to take it as a statement to the rest of the world."

"Why would he do that?" asked Harry. "Wouldn't it be easier to attack while I'm there, and try to finish me at the same time?"

"Since when has Voldemort been able to finish you when he's planned to?" smiled Hermione. Comprehension dawned on Harry as her smile turned into a grin. "He's scared of you Harry...maybe not consciously, but I think some part of him knows that so far, he's fought you five times, and all five times you've either escaped or come out victorious."

Harry stared at her, a new wave of optimism washing over him.

"He knows he's in trouble," said Hermione. "It's why he took the school. He wants to rally more to his army before he attacks...because he doesn't want to do it himself for fear of losing."

"And yet it has to be me who finishes him," sighed Harry. "I just wish it was someone else...I mean, it's like you said. Five times. Why can't someone else take a shot?"

"Like Dumbledore?" asked Hermione. Harry said nothing, only sighed and looked up at the darkening sky.

"Guys!" called a voice from behind them. Harry and Hermione turned to see Ron running over, looking much better for the wear.

"Ron," said Hermione as he reached them. "What's going on?"

"It's Luna," he huffed, coming to a halt. "She woke up."

"What?" exclaimed Harry. "When?"

"About twenty minutes ago," said Ron, standing up straight. "I would've come to get you guys right away, but...er..."

"You needed some private time," nodded Hermione, not needing to push the subject.

"Yeah," said Ron. "She wants to speak with you, mate."

"Me?" asked Harry. Ron nodded. "Why?"

"Dunno," said Ron. "I heard Pomfrey talking to her about something when she was feeling a little better, and that's when she told me to come get you."

"Do...d'you mind?" asked Harry tentatively. Ron shook his head.

"I've already said my piece...she just wants to speak with you privately for a moment."

"Alright," nodded Harry.

The three of them walked off to the tent Luna was staying in, Harry nodding once to them once they arrived before walking into the tent. It took all his willpower not to gasp at what had become of his blond-haired friend.

"Luna..." he breathed, a lone tear falling unnoticed down his cheek.

Her face was discolored from the bruises on it, and combined with the many cuts and scratches that were only starting to heal, she looked a bit like a patchwork doll. Weakly, she opened her eyes and blinked at him.

"Harry?" she asked

"It's me," he whispered, hurrying to her side. "God, Luna...how did this happen?"

"Hogwarts was built with hard rocks," she smiled weakly.

"How can you smile at a time like this?" choked Harry. "Look at what's happened to you."

"I'm alive," sighed Luna, closing her eyes. "And Ronald is with me. I can't ask for anything else."

"You are truly a remarkable person," said Harry with a sad smile.

"Thank you," replied Luna. "I did hear something that worries me though."

Harry said nothing, if anything, his expression darkened slightly at what he knew was coming.

"You have no desire to finish your job," said Luna matter-of-factly.

"Not you too," replied Harry, shaking his head. "The people here need my help too."

"I don't deny that," sighed Luna, looking up at him. "But I think you and I both know you need to help everyone in a different way."

"You, McGonagal, and everyone else," muttered Harry, looking away.

"Harry, look at me," said Luna surprisingly firmly. He turned back to face her and saw through the painful discoloration of her skin, the familiar protuberant grey eyes looking back at him with uncompromising loyalty. "Forget small battles. We're in an all out war now."

"I know that," he replied hollowly.

"Whether you want it or not, whether you need it or not, you are the only way we can win," said Luna. "If not for yourself, for Hermione."

Harry stared at Luna for a moment, as if seeing her for the first time. There was only sincerity in her eyes, no hesitation, no doubt.

And Harry realized that everything that had been burdened upon him...the death of his parents, his imprisonment with the Dursleys, saving the Philosopher's Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, saving Sirius only to have his name not cleared, the Triwizard Tournament, the return of Voldemort, the death of Cedric...the death of Sirius, the death of Dumbledore, and finally his duty to restore light to the world, he had been given those burdens for a reason.

It was because he could handle them.

And it was because of people he loved that he could handle them.

And it was his duty to repay them in kind for that love.

"Do you understand now?" asked Luna softly.

"Yes," whispered Harry, nodding. "I'll get Ron for you."

Harry didn't see it as he turned to walk away, but for the first time in her life, the smile on Luna's face was not one of happy delirium, but of peace.

"You okay, mate?" asked Ron as Harry walked out. "You look...different."

"I think I'm alright," replied Harry, putting his hand on Ron's shoulder. "Stay here with her Ron, she needs you more than I do now."

Ron stared at him confused for a moment before he understood.

"Come find me before you leave then," sighed Ron. Harry nodded and watched his best friend walk into the tent behind him.

"Looks like it's just us then," smiled Harry, turning to Hermione. "I suppose we should go tell McGonagal."

"It might be a good idea," nodded Hermione with a small smile, interlacing her fingers with his as she often did while they walked towards the main tent. "I'm glad you've come around."

"Luna can be quite convincing," shrugged Harry as they reached their destination.

"So you've come to your senses, then?" asked McGonagal as the two teens entered her tent.

"I suppose you could say that," nodded Harry.

"Good," said McGonagal, with a slight smile. "I did your work for you on this one, Potter, but don't expect me to be able to do it for you all the time."

"Hmm?" asked Harry confusedly.

"Pandora's Box held every evil entity known to man inside it. Despair, fear, death, remorse, pain...but it also held one thing that not even evil could vanquish."

"Hope," said Hermione softly.

"Correct," replied McGonagal, pulling out a large map of Great Britain and laying it on the war table. Turning it to face Harry and Hermione, she looked at them once before placing her index finger on a small dot near the northernmost portion of the map. "Your destination is Azkaban Fortress."

"How did you know about the clue in the first place?" asked Harry, dumbstruck

"Dumbledore, Voldemort, and Severus Snape aren't the only three people in this world who can do Legillimancy," said McGonagal. "Please don't take it personally, I only want what's best for the most people."

"I suppose," sighed Harry. "We'll leave right away then."

"You'll have to fly," said McGonagal. "Since the dementors rebelled, the island has been closed off from all forms of transportation except air."

"We'll make do," said Harry as McGonagal presented Hermione a brand new Nimbus 2001.

"For you, dear," smiled the headmistress. "Madam Hooch had it on order for herself to better judge our matches...but it's obvious she won't be using it. You can't keep flying around on old, shaky brooms if you're going to help save the world, after all."

"Tell her thank you for me," smiled Hermione, taking the broom.

"Of course," smiled McGonagal. "Now get to it...and see if you can't bring back some food and medical supplies when you return."

"Will do," said Harry. "Let's go."

Hermione nodded and followed him out of the tent, both of them proceeding directly to Ron and Luna.

"You're off already?" asked Ron when they entered.

"Can't waste any more time than I already have," shrugged Harry. "I'm glad you're staying Ron."

"Well...I suppose Hermione can take better care of you than I ever could, and Luna needs me anyway," smiled Ron.

"Ronald," coughed Luna, hitting him lightly on the arm. "Please don't make me out to be some sort of invalid."

"Not at all, dear," smiled Ron sheepishly, standing up to follow them out. "I'll be right back."

"Take your time," nodded Luna. "Good luck, Harry."

"Thanks," he smiled, as the three of them exited.

"Good luck mate," said Ron, clapping Harry on the shoulder. "Something tells me you're gonna need it."

"Oh, and I don't get wished luck?" pouted Hermione.

"You too," grinned Ron. "Take care of him now."

"Always," smiled Hermione.

"Hey, I'm a big boy," Harry pointed out. Ron looked him up and down for a moment.

"Nah," he smiled. "Not really."

"Prat," laughed Harry as he mounted his Firebolt and took to the skies, Hermione right on his tail.

---------------

I don't have a backstory to my little 'phrase' this week, so here it is.

The only thing that defines how good a person is, is how much they're willing to sacrifice for others.

The important thing about this is to never take the people you care about for granted...always go that tiny extra distance to make their lives slightly happier.

And again, I'm extremely sorry about the lateness/fillerness. You have my word that next week's chapter will be action packed and on time. ;)

Until next time!