Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Stone Circle

TheGreatFox2000


And we're back for another installment of your favorite (or at least I hope it's your favorite) story. I don't have much to say here, but I WILL say that in this chapter there are a couple references to a famous movie. They're subtle references, so you will probably have to be at least a decent fan of this particular movie to spot it, but the movie itself is very famous. Pumpkin pie to whoever gets it right. ;)

---------------

Chapter 20: The Final Trial

"What do we do?" asked Hermione, backing away from the tent flap quietly.

"Whatever we do, it has to be soon," said Tonks.

"I think I have to confront them," said Harry contemplatively.

"What if they're working for Voldemort?" asked Hermione.

"A bunch of centaurs so proud that they won't even let Hagrid on their territory would never fall for any bait Voldemort might try and use to gain their favor," said Harry. "Besides, if they were working for him, they wouldn't be holding everyone hostage...there'd already be a body count."

"I suppose you're right," said Hermione.

"You all need to stay here and remain hidden," said Harry to Tonks, McGonagal and Moody. "If something happens, ambush them and do your best to get everyone to safety."

"Don't be reckless, lad," advised Moody as Harry strode to the front of the tent.

"Reckless? Me? Never," joked Harry with a smile before exiting.

"Tell me, where is your leader?!" a black-haired centaur bellowed at a cowering first year.

"I'm right here, Bane," said Harry, coming up to them.

"Potter," spat the centaur. "I might've known you'd lead your kind into our forest."

"This forest belongs to more than just your race," countered Harry. "You, better than most, should know that."

"We are the keepers of this land, Harry Potter," said the centaur Harry recognised as Magorian, coming up to him. "And while we do not regulate the flow of wildlife, we are here to ensure that no harm comes to it."

"And how are we harming your land?" asked Harry, his patience wearing thin. "It's not like we're killing animals for food, now are we?"

"You're cutting trees for firewood," replied Magorian. "And we have repeatedly given you warnings not to trespass here." Two centaurs came up behind Harry and Hermione, bows drawn. "There are many foals here who have only committed the crime of following their leader, we shall not harm them. But you will pay for your trespass, Harry Potter."

The two centaurs seized Harry by the shoulders and forced him to the ground, Bane pinning Hermione's arms behind her back as she tried to draw her wand.

"This one should pay too," said Bane as Hermione struggled to free herself. "She was here too when we gave them the warning."

"Very well," said Magorian. "As per our laws, you will be hung from the wrists until - "

"I've found him!" a centaur from a little ways off yelled. Harry was able to turn his head just enough to see the red-haired centuar, Ronan, trot forward, Firenze walking slowly behind him.

"Firenze," said Magorian, temporarily forgetting about Harry and Hermione. "I wondered if you would be here with the humans."

"You left me but few choices other than to make my bed with them," sighed the centaur, though his voice did not waver.

"Upon your act of betrayal of our kind, you were forbidden to return here under the penalty of death," said Magorian, looking at his former friend. Firenze said nothing, only stared resolutely at the ground. "Off with his head."

"No!" shrieked Hermione, along with several other students.

Ronan forced Firenze to the ground as an axe was brought forth to Magorian, who walked slowly over to them.

"I have put up with a lot of your shite," said Harry furiously, causing everyone to turn and look at him. "But I will not stand for this injustice!"

With a powerful wave of magic, the centaurs holding Harry were thrown back, and Harry stood up, drawing his wand.

"You may choose to not involve yourself in the affairs of others," said Harry, advancing on Magorian, who was still standing over a bewildered Firenze. "But when you start threatening those I care about...those who have done no wrong except in your eyes, you're taking it too far."

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Bane move one his hands away from Hermione's arms to draw a knife. In an instant, the Eternium around Harry's neck flashed white, and a burst of energy flew from Harry and knocked Bane backwards into a tree.

"You mean to make war on the centaurs?" asked Magorian, somewhat incredulously.

"War is not something I favor," said Harry. "But if you would kill innocents to preserve your pride, then you are no better than Voldemort, and deserve the same fate as he does."

"So be it," said Magorian, turning to face Harry, as all the centaurs in the clearing aimed their bows at Harry.

Harry lifted his wand at Magorian, and was about to send a stunner in his direction, when the sleeve of his robe slipped down, exposing the stone bracelet.

"Hold your fire!" roared Magorian, surprising everyone in the camp. Slowly, he walked over to Harry and looked him in the eyes. "Where did you get that?" he asked softly, motioning towards the bracelet.

"If you're aware of what it is, then you should already know the answer to that," replied Harry in an equally low voice. Magorian stared at him for what seemed like an eternity before stepping back slightly.

"If I were to ask you where I could find the most crippling emotion known to man?" he asked.

"I would answer that it's in the same place where the thestrals from this very forest took me and five others over a year ago," replied Harry. "Funny...they took us to the Ministry on the very same day you tried to kill me and Hermione."

"Come with me," said Magorian, turning to walk away.

"And what assurances do I have that you won't hurt anyone while we're 'away'?" asked Harry.

"You and your mate are the only ones on trial here, aside from Firenze," answered Magorian. "The rest are free to do as they wish."

"That answer is insufficient," replied Harry.

"If you are the king," said Magorian, looking over his shoulder at Harry. "The centaurs are at your mercy, and we will not harm her or Firenze." Harry considered this for a moment.

"Lead the way."

Magorian turned and walked off into the woods. Harry turned and mouthed, 'I love you' to Hermione as he jogged off after the centaur, leaving everyone behind.

"Where are we going?" asked Harry a few minutes later.

"You have one force left to harness, don't you?" asked the centaur. The final words of the bracelet echoed in Harry's head.

"Your journey will end where it began, or near that spot in the least."

"You know where it is?" asked Harry, speeding up so he drew even with Magorian. "You know where evil is?"

"Know?" scoffed the centaur. "Boy, we have guarded it for over three hundred years. And you wonder why we're so selective about who enters this forest."

"Who are you guarding it from?" asked Harry.

"From those who would try and use the power evil holds for themselves," replied Magorian. "Like Voldemort. We're almost there."

"Where exactly is 'there'?" asked Harry.

"There," replied Magorian pointing at a very dark, and very eery cave.

"More bloody caves," grumbled Harry. "What's in it?"

"Everything you fear," replied the centaur. "I will wait for you back at the camp." And without another word Magorian walked back off in the direction from which they came. Harry arched an eyebrow at his retreating back before walking forward, the sounds of nature quickly disappearing as he reached the entrance.

Harry lit his wand and proceeded carefully. The sounds of loose pebbles being kicked by his sneakers echoed off the walls of the cave, which was starting to descend into the earth. Harry kept his eyes open for any signs of vicious life...'perhaps there are some very evil bats that lurk in places like these,' he thought to himself.

The sound of footsteps ahead of him halted his gait, and Harry quickly extinguished his wand so as not to be detected. Pressing himself against the wall of the cave, he listened as the footsteps stopped for a moment, then resumed, slowly growing softer.

"Occulus Lumos," whispered Harry, tapping his glasses. The darkness suddenly turned to an ominous green, although he could now distinctly see where everything was without the help of light.

"I invented it," smiled Hermione, demonstrating the spell for Harry. "It works like muggle infrared technology...you'll be able to see without the help of your wand even in the darkest of places."

'Thank you, Hermione," thought Harry, quietly setting off after the footsteps.

He continued on for several minutes, slowing down every time he got close, so as not to alert his quarry. Finally, the footsteps came to a halt, the soft flicker of a fire appearing a moment later a little ways down the passage.

Cancelling the spell, Harry proceeded forward, being careful not to kick any rocks. Turning a corner, he could see a figure in a black cloak hunched over a small fire. Behind the fire, hanging from against the wall by chains on her wrists, was a very bloody and quite unconscious Hermione.

It took all of Harry's willpower not to scream out her name and run headlong into the small clearing. Instead, he took a breath to steady himself, and aimed his wand at the figure in front of the fire.

"Stupefy," he whispered.

"Avada Kedavra," the cloaked figure spoke in a clear, yet deadly voice, his wand pointed at Harry.

Just as it had happened in his fourth year, the bolts of magic struck each other and joined, the beads of light appearing on the golden thread of magic connecting Harry and his attacker. This time, Harry found much less difficulty in forcing the beads towards his opponent's, the Eternium glowing softly, lending Harry it's aide. Just as Harry was wondering what would emanate from the cloaked man's wand, the man lifted his hand and pointed at Hermione.

Harry realised what was going to happen one second too late.

"NO!" bellowed Harry, as the man drew his hand sharply through the air, a tremendous wound opening across Hermione's body, as though she had been cleft by a sword. A surge of energy from Harry ended the Priori Incantatem, the man flying against the wall of the cave as Harry's stunner connected.

Harry sprinted over to Hermione, blood pouring from the gaping wound in her body. Quickly cutting the chains, she collapsed against the ground, Harry quickly cradling her body as her eyes flickered open.

"Hermione," whispered Harry, tears flowing silently from his eyes.

She had not the strength to answer him. A lone tear rolled from her eyes before all signs of life left her.

Harry cried. He cried as he had never cried before in his life. He sobbed as he clutched her lifeless body, her blood mixing with his tears.

Harry didn't know how much time passed, but eventually his body would produce no more tears, and his attention turned to the one who had so violently ripped Hermione's life from her.

Standing shakily, Harry walked over to the cloaked figure, who was still unconscious, and aimed his wand at the person. Reaching down, he threw back the hood expecting to see Voldemort.

But it wasn't.

This man was much younger than Voldemort.

The features were slightly different; the hair was thinner and had less color, and the scruff of a beard showed the signs of being forced to age faster than nature intended, but there was no mistaking a 40 year-old Harry Potter.

Harry stumbled backwards, falling on his arse as he stared at an older version of himself...a version of himself that killed the one he loved most.

And it dawned on Harry that what he had seen was his greatest fear...that he would become what Voldemort was, and have it result in the death of Hermione.

Without warning, Harry felt the familiar pulling sensation behind his navel, and a moment later landed hard against the ground.

"Welcome, Potter."

Harry was quickly on his feet, his wand drawn as green torches began to light themselves around the perimeter the very large and wide cavern Harry had landed in.

"Godric always said that he knew it was you," the voice said again. Harry thought it was slightly familiar, and turned to face the source of it.

The man who was standing there, now visible in the green glow from the torches, was very tall, at least a couple of meters. He had silver hair which was pulled back into a ponytail, and a sunken face which left no room for niceties. But even though Harry had never met this man before, there was no mistaking the glowing red eyes that this man bore.

"Salazar Slytherin himself," said Harry, staring at the man. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"After what I put you through, I doubt you'll be calling it 'pleasure'," said Slytherin. "But if you must know, this place has been my prison for the last thousand years."

"Oh?" asked Harry. "And why is that?"

"It is because of the curse that Godric put on me right before I killed him," replied Salazar. "See Godric and I got into a nasty little tiff one day because he found out about the Chamber of Secrets. He tracked me all the way to the country I was living in and we ended up having a nice little duel."

"And he cursed you with immortality?" asked Harry.

"It is known as the Curse of Androvan, who of course, was the first great king," said Salazar. "Androvan, in his quest to unite the people, used this curse against his most fearsome enemies, the ones he claimed to deserve worse than death."

"Oh?" asked Harry.

"Those who are cursed are imprisoned in an area of the caster's choosing, and cannot die until someone kills them."

"How lovely," said Harry. "So if this was Androvan's curse, how did Godric know it?"

"Androvan was maybe a hundred years older than Godric and myself, but even so Godric gained his favor before the assassination, and learned all his little tricks and secrets," said Salazar. "That's how he came to make that bracelet, you know," he said, pointing at the bracelet around Harry's wrist. "When the guardians split the forces that were united by the king, Godric made that little bracelet so that the successor could unite them."

"So, I suppose you want me to kill you now so you can move on?" asked Harry.

"Oh, heavens no," laughed Slytherin. "I plan on killing you in the most torturous way I can think of."

"And condemn yourself to an eternity of nothingness?" asked Harry.

"What eternity?" laughed Salazar. "Surely you don't think that after I kill you, my successor won't come and free me from this prison?"

"How do you know about him?" asked Harry.

"You assume, that given my immense knowledge and skill that I can't sense what's going on in the outside world?" laughed Slytherin. "I can tell you everything...from Fudge's dismissal to the death of your beloved godfather."

"And what assurances do you have that Voldemort will even find this place?" asked Harry, not wanting to continue the subject of Sirius.

"Those foul beasts that guard this cave don't make it too much of a task to figure out that there's something of value in the forest," replied Slytherin. "And Tom Riddle is much too curious for his own good. He'll investigate, find this place, release me, and together we will take over the world with the power we've both gained from the lovely crystal residing behind me."

Harry looked past Slytherin and for the first time noticed a black crystal hovering slightly off the ground, about twenty meters behind his enemy. Glancing back at Salazar, he felt the air charge and several black bolts of energy crackled around the ex-founder's body.

"Unfortunately this is a 'no casting' area, so the power I've gained from evil itself won't do me any good against you," said Slytherin, drawing a sword from inside his robe. "So I'll have to resort to the old-fashioned way." Harry tried to cast a stunner at Slytherin silently to check the validity of his opponent's statement, and found it to be quite true.

"And you don't care that it might take Voldemort several years to find this place?" asked Harry, trying to stall long enough to think of a way out of the situation.

"Harry Potter...I've been down here a millennium," spat Slytherin. "I hardly think another year or two will make a difference."

'I could really use Fawkes right now," thought Harry, as Slytherin began to advance on him.

And then suddenly, just like in the Chamber of Secrets, there was a bang and a loud cry from high above them, and Fawkes soared into view, dropping the Sword of Gryffindor into Harry's outstretched hand, before disappearing with another bang.

"How very typical," droned Slytherin. "It seems as if Dumbledore's bird is still loyal to you, even after his untimely departure."

"He'll never be gone," smiled Harry, a renewed sense of hope growing in him as he pocketed his wand. "Not as long as those who remain are loyal to him."

"How lovely," said Slytherin sarcastically. "I hope you can use that in a real fight, Potter...I promise you I'll be a much bigger challenge than my basilisk was."

"Let's find out," replied Harry, sprinting forward.

Their swords met with a loud clang, and Slytherin darted away before Harry could make another attack. In the dim green light, he could barely make out his enemy's figure before he had to defend himself from the great arcing swing of Salazar's sword.

"You seem to have some talent," taunted Slytherin as their swords crossed, each pressing up against the other.

"You're very much like Tom," countered Harry, as they pushed off each other. "You both have a tendency to underestimate me."

"Is that so?" asked Slytherin as he came around for another attack.

"Surely," replied Harry. "Don't you think it's quite ironic that after I'm done with you and Tom, all remnants of your line will be gone forever?"

"I think perhaps you overestimate your chances," smirked Slytherin as their swords glanced off each other again. "All Tom has to do is kill that mudblood lover of yours and he'll win."

"He'll have to go through me to do it," replied Harry, and he could feel the soft pulse of the Eternium from inside his shirt.

"Not if I go through you first," laughed Slytherin, and suddenly he darted out of view. Harry spun around, trying to find him, but was unable to locate his adversary until it was too late. Slytherin appeared to his left at the last second and plunged his sword into Harry's side.

"Good game," laughed Slytherin as Harry fell to his knees. "Do say 'hi' to Godric for me while you're up there?"

'Hermione,' thought Harry, as his vision began to blur. 'Help me...'

And suddenly a warm sensation spread through his body, washing the pain of the blade away and giving him renewed strength. To his left, he could see the astonishment in Slytherin's face as the sword was slowly pushed from Harry's body, the wound sealing up as it left.

"What treachery is this?" hissed Salazar, recoiling slightly.

"One that neither you, nor Tom, can ever comprehend," smiled Harry, pulling the glowing Eternium from inside his shirt. "Love."

The pendant glowed brightly as Harry advanced on his prey. Slytherin tried to back away, but the magic from the gem kept him rooted to the ground, and he found himself unable to defend as Harry drew back his arm and drove the tip of his sword straight through Salazar's heart.

Harry looked into the red eyes of the man who had helped found Hogwarts, and watched as he let out a dying chuckle and collapsed to the ground, lifeless.

He let the sword fall to the ground with a resounding clang and collapsed to the ground, breathing heavily.

"Don't you think it's about time you finished your quest?" asked a familiar gentle voice.

"Who...?" asked Harry looking around for the source of the voice, but none was found.

"Finish the job, Harry, your friends are waiting for you," said the voice, although still no body could be seen belonging to it.

"Professor Dumbledore?"

Silence answered Harry, and he turned over so he was now facing the floating black crystal. Grabbing Gryffindor's sword and using it as a cane, he stood up and walked over to the prism, staring at the ominous black hole near the bottom.

"I've come this far..." said Harry to himself, and he plunged his wrist into the hole.

Energy seared through him, much like electricity, although there was no mistaking the darkness behind this power. Harry wanted to retch as he felt the magic course through him...it felt like it was trying to become part of his body, trying to taint his soul.

"Harry Potter..." a dark voice hissed softly.

"No..." said Harry through gritted teeth.

"Don't fight the power..."

"I have to..."

"Just accept it, and it will all be over."

And it suddenly dawned on Harry that acceptance was exactly what he needed to do. Relaxing his body, he centered his concentration and forced the evil from his body and into the last three empty runes on the bracelet.

Once the presence had left him, Harry withdrew his hand and stared at the completed circlet. The last three runes had turned to onyx, and there was now a gentle golden glow coming from the borders of each of the runes.

"Finally..." sighed Harry, marveling at the beauty of the thing. "Now what?"

As if to answer him, the space around him squeezed and Harry suddenly found himself laying on the grass outside the entrance of the cave, the sword of Gryffindor still clutched in his hand. Without hesitation, he rose and began walking back towards the camp.

=====

"Do you think Harry's alright?" asked Luna, as she and Ron sat by the campfire, Ginny and Neville next to them.

"I'm more worried about what'll happen to Bane when he gets back," muttered Ron. Bane had regained consciousness shortly after Magorian and Harry had departed, and resumed his post of watching over Hermione, who was sitting mutinously against a tree. "What a git."

"He's been gone a while now," said Ginny. "I wonder what's taking him?"

"If it's anything like what he had to go through at Azkaban, he could be out there a while," replied Ron.

"As if he hasn't had enough on his plate already," sighed Neville.

"Tell me about it," said Ginny, leaning into her boyfriend.

"Ronald," whispered Luna, looking off into the forest.

"What is it luv?" asked Ron, following her gaze.

Harry was walking back into the camp, his robe hiding the bracelet. The entire camp watched in interest as Magorian walked up to him.

"So, Harry Potter, how fare you?"

In response, Harry lifted his right arm, exposing the completed bracelet, which earned a hush from those gathered.

"I see you were successful," said Magorian. "My lord."

Ron watched in astonishment as Magorian bent his knees and bowed his head slightly, the other centaurs in the clearing hesitantly doing the same.

"This is absurd," said Bane, the only centaur left not with his knees bent. "We do not bow to the likes of humans."

"This man is a king of light," said Magorian, still looking at the ground. "He has completed the circle and unified the forces. Bow your head, Bane."

"But -"

"BOW YOUR HEAD!" roared Magorian. Bane, taken aback, reluctantly lowered his head.

"Finally," exclaimed Hermione, jumping to her feet and walking over to Harry. "What took you so long?"

"I had to watch you die again," whispered Harry so only she could hear it. Hermione placed a hand on his shoulder and gave a gentle squeeze.

"So what now?" asked Ron, coming over to them with Luna, Ginny, and Neville following.

"Now, I think Bane will get us some firewood," smiled Harry, looking over at the centaur.

"I will not - "

"Now, Bane," interrupted Harry. The centaur gave Harry the greatest look of loathing, but walked off into the forest with no further argument.

"I am so glad someone finally told him off," said Ginny. "Lousy git."

"There's still one other matter to deal with," said Hermione softly, nodding at Firenze.

"Ah yes," said Harry. "Release him...he is welcome here just as any who are not adverse to our cause."

The two centaurs holding Firenze let go, who stood and walked over to Harry.

"I am eternally in your debt, my lord," said Firenze, bowing his head deeply.

"It's still Harry, Professor," smiled Harry. "I hope you will still return to Hogwarts and continue to teach once the school has been reopened."

"Of course," nodded the centaur.

"My lord," said Magorian, coming over to him. "The centaurs are at your service. What would you have us do?"

"How in tune with this forest are you?" asked Harry, a thought coming to him.

"We are one with nature as are the rocks, the water, and the birds," replied Magorian.

"Can you speak to them?" asked Harry.

"Nature does not have its own language, but we can understand each other," replied the centaur.

"Ask the animals to spy for us...find out anything they can about what's happening up at the castle," said Harry. "Where the patrols are, the condition of the students, if there are any weak points...anything."

"Of course," nodded Magorian. With a sharp whistle, the centaurs in the clearing snapped to attention before running off into the forest with their leader.

"Well, it's all done," said Ron, once they had a reasonable amount of privacy back, the students going back to their personal business once the centaurs were gone.

"I know," said Harry, looking at the bracelet. "It seems a bit surreal."

"I hate to say it, but this was the easy part," said Hermione. "We still have a world of work ahead of us."

"That we do," said Harry.

"Good work, Harry," said Tonks coming over to him, Moody following behind her.

"Handled that well, you did," grunted Moody, nodding.

"Thanks," said Harry. "Where's McGonagal?"

"Going over some plans," said Tonks. "Not a moment to lose, after all."

"No, I suppose not," sighed Harry with a meaningful look at Hermione. "I'm going to go for a walk."

"Er...alright," she nodded, following him. "We'll be back in a bit, guys."

Ron and Tonks nodded at her as she followed Harry a ways into the woods. She noticed that his footsteps weren't aimless though, as they were so often during these walks...instead he was walking with determination, a definite destination planted in his head.

"Here it is," said Harry, kneeling down next to a bush.

"Here what is?" asked Hermione, kneeling down next to Harry as he drew a long silver blade from underneath the shrub. "Harry...is that?"

"Gryffindor's Sword," he replied holding it up to examine. Glinting in the moonlight, Hermione could make out streaks of blood on the blade.

"What happened?" asked Hermione.

"A long and arduous trial," sighed Harry, taking a seat. "I got to watch myself kill you, then I had to duel Salazar Slytherin. This is his blood, by the way."

"Slytherin?" asked Hermione. "As in the founder of Slytherin House, Slytherin?"

"The same," sighed Harry. "He was being kept alive by a curse that Godric put on him...there isn't much to tell...he monologued for a bit, then we fought and I killed him."

"Harry I'm sorry," whispered Hermione, leaning her head on his.

"It feels strange...having finally killed someone," he sighed, staring up at the starry sky through the canopy. "I don't feel like a murderer."

"That's because you aren't," said Hermione. "A murderer is someone who kills for self-profit...not someone who defends themself or kills to protect others."

"I know..." replied Harry. "But having to watch myself kill you...it was so real, Hermione."

"I'm right here," said Hermione. "You know that."

"And for that I'm forever grateful," said Harry, turning his head so their noses were almost touching. "We just need to make sure it stays that way."

"It will."

---------------

This week, I thought I'd give a little bit of advice that almost everyone will have heard of, but that no one ever seems to remember when it matters.

To err is human, to forgive is divine.

And there it is. Well, it's obvious this story is drawing to a close. At this point in time, I'm guessing there will be either 5 or 6 chapters left...I have yet to decide how I want to play the final battle out. And remember, don't forget to guess the movie in your review! Until next time!