Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 13: A Warrior's Battle

Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.

Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 5

******Great Hall of Camelot, Avalon 1200 Arrival +42 Months******

"I Do."

Rhodri smiled "Then I am witness to your bonding. I bless this union and call it good. You are now husband and wife."

The hall burst into applause with a small roar from Cuchulainn in the back of the hall. The Lord Chamberlain hadn't even blinked when Hermione had informed him of the dragon's attendance, he merely replied, "Of course, Mistress, the hall and doors shall be of appropriate size for your guest" and bowed her out of the room.

Now that the ceremony was over, Harry felt that he knew what to do. Without prompting, Harry swept in, took his new bride in his arms, and put a searing kiss on her lips, to which she responded with vigor. Neither noticed the complete silence descend on the hall as Hermione's hand entwined in Harry's shoulder length hair. With a soft clearing of her throat, Carys got the newlyweds attention and with a small head nod and a shooing motion with her hands, conveyed to Harry and Hermione that the whole "you may now kiss the bride" event, wasn't done here at Avalon. Blushing profusely now, the two turned to the crowd that resumed clapping. Some of the dowagers assumed the youngsters couldn't wait to get started on a family. Soon, the flock of geese was all aflutter with the "knowledge" that the new Countess was eager for children.

Sirius sidled up to his godson. "You couldn't wait? Damn, I mean I know you're young and all. Probably randier than a goat, but come on…" he couldn't finish through his laughter and Harry's punches on his arm. "Shut up Padfoot."

Rhodri and Carys approached the wedding party and escorted the Potters, Sirius and Loreena into an anteroom as the guests began to talk amongst themselves as the gathering switched over to the reception. Rhodri said "In ancient days, there was a blood bond after a wedding to bond the magic of a Witch and Wizard." He laughed slightly "Since you two have accomplished the magical bonding about three years ago" Harry smiled at his new wife broadly "I'll leave this up to you if you wish to perform the blood bonding as well."

Harry turned to Hermione and held out his right hand, palm up and nodded to her. Without hesitation, Hermione returned the gesture. Rhodri produced his ceremonial dagger and drew it sharply across both palms. "Do you know the words?" he asked Harry. At Harry's nod, Rhodri stood back to give the couple some room.

Harry and Hermione grasped hands. Diving deep into his magical core, Harry took a deep breath and looked into his wife's eyes. Power crackled in the room and Harry's eyes danced with blue fire "Blood of my blood, life of my life, magic of my magic. I pledge myself to thee for all eternity." Eyes widened at Harry's altering of the marriage vows and their impact. He was binding his very soul to hers forever.

Hermione took a deep breath while a lone tear ran down her face. She immersed herself in her magic, letting it permeate every level of her being. The anteroom was crackling like a lightening storm by now and the witnesses were mute in awe of the power on display. Hermione looked into her husband's eyes, which radiated power, and love and her own magic leapt up to meet and join with his. "Blood of my blood, life of my life, magic of my magic. I pledge myself to thee for all eternity." I love you Harry Potter.

I love you Hermione Potter.

He leaned in and gently kissed his wife. She gently kissed him back with love and tenderness. With a muted whump, all the energy alive in the room rushed into the two young lovers, and they glowed blue for a moment. No one else existed. All Harry could feel was Hermione and Hermione could only feel Harry. As their magic twisted, entwined and merged repeatedly in a symphony of love and power their emotions rose in a crescendo to crash again and again into the peaceful contentedness of the loved. Neither noticed as the other four occupants of the room silently exited, leaving them alone.

Harry pulled back and looked deep into his wife's eyes. In her eyes, he saw the licking of blue-green flame in a corona of love. He could only smile then laugh with joy. God, woman, I love you! Come here!

Laughing, he pulled her into the middle of the room and they began to gracefully dance a formal waltz they had learned from Carys. They had loved to learn to dance. It was a very intimate physical closeness with the romantic overtones of the traditional musical pieces. As Harry twirled and turned her across the dance floor, they fell into another world. Hermione had discovered that Harry was quite the romantic after all.

With a finger wiggle, Hermione suddenly filled the room with the Viennese Waltz from an unseen quartet. They danced, staring into each others eyes, coming closer and closer until they were pressed up to one another in a tight embrace.

The door opened and Sirius stuck his head in "Ok you two, we've given you a moment or two, but everyone is wondering where the bride and groom have absconded." As the two moved to the door arm in arm, Sirius opened the door all the way and said "Loreena had to just tell off the Dowager Duchess of Connaught declaring that Lord and Lady Gryffindor are not off starting a family at this very moment. Bloody woman thinks you'll be spitting out sprogs like popcorn." Harry laughed and Hermione winced at that. Sirius gave a bark-like laugh "Come on."

As the newly minted Potters mingled and accepted congratulations, Sirius rejoined his date. Smiling at her as he approached, she raised an eyebrow to him. "Mission accomplished. They were just dancing" he added with a smirk. When she rolled her eyes at him, he laughed again and put his arm around her. Growing unaccustomedly serious, he turned her in his arms so that they were facing each other. Loreena gave him a quizzical smile and wrapped her arms around his neck as the musicians started to play. He leaned forward so that he was speaking directly in her ear "You do know that you've saved my life don't you?"

With a look of alarm on her face, she pulled away to see him "Sirius, what…"

"Shhhh, it's Ok, this is a good thing" he said to her and pulled her close again. "When we got here I was drowning and your love for me and mine for you has given me a life again. I just wanted to thank you." He broke off and looked into her eyes with a conflicted expression. "Come on, I'd like to talk to you about something" he took her hand and turning toward the terrace, led her outside. Finding an unoccupied corner, he waved his wand and a privacy ward went up.

Loreena looked at her lover with concerned eyes "Siri, love, you're scaring me. What's going on?"

Sirius smiled a tender, sad smile and cupped her face. "I love you, you know that right?"

Loreena's eyes widened "Sirius Black, you better not be breaking things off with me or I will castrate you" she said, ending with some heat.

Sirius laughed "No acushla, I could never leave you, which leads me to my predicament. When Harry and Hermione go back…" he couldn't finish, just looked at her.

"You will be going with them" she finished for him. "Of course you are, you could do nothing else for Harry and Hermione." She looked into his eyes and saw the unspoken question, the question he felt he didn't even have the right to ask "You want to know if I'll come with you?"

He nodded, too emotional to even speak for a moment. Clearing his throat, he said "I have to. They'll need me. I have a feeling the war is going to be bad. Nevertheless, I'll stay here with you if you can't leave. Your whole life is here, all you know, your family, everything. You have heard from travelers who come here about my world, but it's not yours. I would completely understand if you didn't want to come."

Loreena looked long into his face, and then leaned forward, her forehead on his chest while he held her. They had been standing in silence for a few minutes when Loreena gave a short laugh. "Sirius, was that the most lame proposal of marriage ever given?"

With a confused look on his face, he looked down at her. After a moment, the look cleared and he realized what she was saying. Letting her go, he got down on a knee and grasping her hand in his said "Your Royal Highness, I do not have your father's permission, but I love you and ask you to be my wife with your father's consent." Then he smirked at her "and even without it." She threw back her head and laughed. "I love you man of mine, and yes I'll marry you with or without Father's permission" and pulled him up for a kiss. "And I'll go with you, and make your world my own."

******Buckingham Palace, London 1200 17 June 1995******

Amelia Bones, Connie Hammer and Albus Dumbledore followed the Prime Minister down the long hall. The three magical persons had been briefed on how to behave and to always answer a question directly. The Queen did not like dissimulation. At that statement, Amelia and Connie looked at Dumbledore who smiled "I realize that now is not the time for obfuscation. I shall behave."

They passed a maid who stared openmouthed at the attire of the three magicals. She had seen the Prime Minister on many occasions, he didn't even warrant a second glance. But the old man with the beard down to his knees wearing a purple dress with stars on it, there was something to stare at. Going with the PM towards the Queen's study, of all places!

Albus smiled at the woman and nodded to Connie who cast a quick Obliviate before rejoining the procession. She loudly whispered, "You know Albus, if you dressed like a human instead of every muggle's expectation of Merlin, I wouldn't have to Obliviate so many people" while she cast a Notice-Me-Not charm on the old man. When they finally reached the Queen's suite, Mr. Blair asked the security man outside the door if the Queen was in while the magicals greeted Nymphadora Tonks, the on-watch Auror guard. The usually eccentrically dressed Witch was wearing a sedate Armani pants suit and shoulder length black hair so that she could blend in with the rest of the security detail. The non-magical security lead had only been told that the new watch was a group of specialists that would be added on to the normal troupe for the indefinite future. Tonks nodded to them all "Minister, Ms. Hammer, Headmaster if you could please do something for me" and reached into a bag on a table nearby. Connie was ready, as she had approved the security measure, but the other two were surprised at being handed small vial of clear potion. "Polyjuice detection" the young Auror explained. "If you're under the influence of polyjuice, you have a less than pleasant reaction. While you take that, I'll ensure that there are no glamour charms on you, this way if you please" and she led them to an alcove for the wand work.

Leading them back, Tonks extended her hand and said "Wands please. No weapons in her Majesty's presence. I'll hold them and be in the room with you if anything arises. Which it won't" she finished with a smile. "Oh, Headmaster, I canceled that Notice-Me-Not charm on you." Dumbledore looked at Connie with an affronted look and they all filed in.

They took in the tastefully decorated room that had a small sitting area off to the side, but the room was dominated by a large mahogany desk, behind which was an older woman conferring with a youngish woman in her late twenties over an item on a clipboard. They seemed to reach a conclusion and the young woman left via a side door while the Auror and security detail took up position inside the room near the doors.

Connie surveyed the older woman in front of her. She'd obviously seen many pictures of her, even a Witch knew who the Queen was and what she looked like. What the pictures didn't convey was the evident steel in her character that radiated now. She looked over her glasses at the PM who made the introductions.

"Your Majesty, may I present to you Amelia Bones, Interim Minister for Magic, Constance Hammer, Head Auror, and Albus Dumbledore, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot and Headmaster of Hogwarts." The Queen rose and came around the desk and shook hands with them all before they retired to the sitting area where the Queen indicated they all should sit "This is, after all, a working meeting."

Looking at Amelia with a stern expression, the Queen said "Now Minister, explain the attack today. What is going on?"

Taking a deep breath, Amelia said "Ma'am, there is a Wizarding terrorist who calls himself Lord Voldemort…" and proceeded to relate a somewhat condensed history of Tom Riddle and his Death Eaters to the monarch. After a fifteen minute explanation, interrupted by a few questions for clarification, the Queen sat back in her chair thinking.

The Queen sat back up and said "Head Auror Hammer, what is being done to apprehend or destroy this…person and his followers" she spat the last in disgust.

Connie then began to relate their efforts at tracking down the Death Eaters via the drug cartel involvement and attempting to roll up those involved. "Also, we have a new source of intelligence that is helping us to identify other Death Eaters. We know some of the chief lieutenants, but not the working level members who are doing significant damage on a daily basis. This source of intelligence is helping us identify those mid-level persons who are wreaking damage on a daily basis. As you have been told, ma'am, Voldemort has most likely magically hidden his presence and his residence so that only those he personally tells can know where he is. To apprehend or terminate him, unfortunately, we have to wait until comes to us" Connie concluded. The Queen was again silent as she absorbed the information.

After a few moments, she shifted her glance to Dumbledore, who had been silent and said "Chief Warlock, do you have anything to add? Comments? Oh yes, I'm sure that Albus Dumbledore has something to say" she said with a small amount of mirth.

Smiling, he said "I see my reputation precedes me madam. I have no further facts to add, Amelia and Constance have summarized for you admirably. As far as comments, well, I think that we can safely tell the public that a terrorist group has started these attacks to explain the happenings. I have only a warning" and he paused, weighing his words. "This war will be very difficult and very bloody." He glanced at the Prime Minister and then back to the Queen. "I have told Mr. Blair already that he should expect bloodshed on the scale of the wars of succession between King Stephen and the Empress Maud. Hopefully, it will not last as long." At the Queen's widening eyes, he nodded grimly. "Yes, ma'am. But there is hope." He began to tell of the boy-who-lived and the prophecy, Harry's training that was taking place and that his return timeframe was unknown. Dumbledore went to great lengths to stress that this information was to be considered a state secret and treated as such. "I only pray that his return is soon" he concluded.

******Redfields House, Avalon 0730 Arrival +45 Months******

Harry watched his wife in a whirlwind of action as she fought Marcus with wand and sword. They'd been fighting for the last thirty minutes but the wand part had been more figurative than anything. Over the years since their purification, wandless magic had become easier and easier until only complicated wards and advanced large-scale transfiguration and illusions really required their wand. Sometimes they still reached for them out of habit, but they didn't really need them. Hermione had become very good at casting rapidly while fighting with the Eryr Ewin, although Harry managed more power in his spells. He smiled in recollection at her acceptance of the blade. Seems like so very long ago.

Hermione blocked Marcus' blade high and gave a left leg kick to his midsection followed with a high power Bludgeoning Curse to his ribs, which connected with an audible crack, knocking him down. Moving faster than most thought possible, she had the Eagle Talon at the Dhampir's throat for the very first time when fighting Marcus by herself. While stepping on his sword and with an ear-to-ear smile, she asked "Do you yield, Master?" He looked up at her and smiled in return "Yes, Hermione, I yield." In astonishment, she gingerly helped him up. He had never called her by her name before. "I only address my peers by their given name. You and Cuchulainn are the only two here in Avalon" he gave an amused look at Harry "and I expect your husband to join the august ranks soon. Well, done. Tell Cuchulainn, he will be proud of you. As I am. Until tomorrow" and he apparated away.

Harry picked up his wife and swung her around as he cheered and cackled like a loon. Put me down Harry! The smile was evident in her tone.

Hey, it's not everyday that a guys wife kicks a weapon master's arse! Heading up to the house he grabbed her hand. Come on, let's get cleaned up and tell everyone.

At breakfast, Harry prodded Hermione to tell the story of the fight, interrupting a few times to demonstrate some of her more outstanding moves until he caught the glare from his wife and sat back down. I love you; I'm just so excited for you. Beating Marcus is a huge deal, and I'm just happy for you.

Thanks. Kissing his cheek between bites of eggs and toast. I appreciate it. You're next buster get a move on.

He smiled into his coffee. Yes, dear.

A few hours later, they were cuddled on the couch reading in the library when the old woman showed up early. She sat in her chair and said to her pupils "Gather the family, we have much to discuss."

Harry and Hermione left and she was nervous. The last time she had us gather everyone was the purification, what bad news does she have now? Harry's only response was a head shake and shrug.

A few minutes later, Sirius and Loreena entered the library and everyone was present. After they all had settled in and the old woman began "The information I have to impart requires a bit of explanation as to how I know, so bear with me." Gathering her thoughts, she began "When Merlin led the magical effort that brought Avalon to this plane of existence there were very many great and powerful Witches and Wizards involved. A more powerful coven has probably never been gathered before or since. Together, these powerful magical persons accomplished this impressive feat" and she looked about as if indicating the isle. "However, since this removal of Avalon was against nature, not alongside the will of nature as much of magic is, a drastic step was needed. One Witch volunteered and she was bound to Avalon as it's anchor in this existence, the Binder of Avalon she was called. As such, she has the ability to commune with the Earth's magics through the isle. She knows things that happen far away in the real world. She knows things that the Earth knows."

Sighing, she said "This bonding also extends her life on the order of one thousand years. I am the third Witch to volunteer for this duty, to serve as the Binder of Avalon.

"Since I am, in my essence, bound to the Earth itself, I hear and know much. It is difficult to make sense of all the information, but with much meditation, I can sort and understand. When you first arrived, I had already understood that your dark lord had done something to himself that had made him inhuman. What exactly, I was unsure. About a month before your nuptials" here she indicated Harry and Hermione "I finally figured out what the Earth was telling me and it was…unpleasant. I chose not to tell you then, as I did not wish to upset your wedding. The celebrations are over, your little sequestering at the Kings hunting lodge is complete and we can deal with these two bits of information."

She sighed again. Shaking her old head, she said "First, in an attempt at immortality, this Voldemort has corrupted himself with evil. Before you vanquished him" and she nodded at Harry "He had summoned a greater demon to try and make it do his bidding and grant him the boon of eternal life. In bungling the process, he managed to bind his essence to this demon and it to him. In the end, he did this in a similar manner that I am bound with Avalon. As such, he has the same boost in power that I do, yet his source is demonic, where mine is pure, good and from the Earth herself. Since he is effectively a demon, the only way that you can kill him is to take his head with steel. Magic will not work. It may hurt him or even incapacitate him, but only taking his head with steel will kill him." She smiled and said "The problem of course is to get close enough to him to use steel."

"So, the other thing." she said. Everyone took a deep breath in concern at what may come next. "In his youth, this Voldemort tied his essence to an object, using it like an anchor."

"He split his essence" gasped Hermione in horror

Snorting, the old woman corrected her pupil "No child, no one can split their essence, much less their soul." She muttered for a few moments about "foolish notions…splitting one's soul, preposterous…" Regaining her composure, she said "I told you he bound himself to an object as an anchor. His essence, and by extension his soul, are tethered to this plane of existence as a result. This object that has tethered him is now a magical construct unto itself, but it needs to be in a magical environment at almost all times to keep it functioning. Almost like it is feeding off the ambient magic in its surroundings. If it is denied its magical `food', it ceases to function, and ceases to tether this dark lord to this plane of existence. When it ceases to function, he can then be killed and banished from this plane of existence permanently. Likewise, if the object were destroyed, the same canceling of this tethering would occur."

Hermione looked at Minerva "It's could be almost anywhere and be anything" she said with despondency in her voice. Shaking her head, she reasserted herself "Right, then. It will most likely be in a place where there is sufficient ambient magic to sustain it over time." Humming to herself and chewing her lip she thought.

Harry spoke up "Hogwarts is an obvious place."

Nodding, Minerva said "True. So too is the Ministry building and Diagon Alley."

Hermione nodded absentmindedly "Yes, those are all viable candidates…if he put it somewhere in Britain." There was silence at the implication that this anchor could literally be a rock on a hillside in the Andes. The new Mrs. Potter continued "I think that Voldemort is such an arrogant elitist, that he would have to create his anchor and store it somewhere that would allow him to feel superior to all others that he's so clever to hide in plain sight." At Jamie's cocked eyebrow, Hermione added with resignation "Hidden in plain sight with incredible wards and protections" she concluded and he nodded in agreement with her.

Harry was sitting on the floor and leaning back on his wife's legs while he listened and thought. "It seems like Riddle has this unhealthy obsession with Hogwarts." Laughing to himself, he then said "It could just be that I've been there and he wants to kill me more than anything, but still, he does have a warped fascination with the school."

The travelers began to discuss the idea and share opinions on where and what this anchor could be. Turning back to the old woman, Hermione said "Do you know what it might be? Anything that can be of use in helping us to find it?"

Tapping her chin in thought, The old woman finally said "The anchor will accept the effects of aging and some injury from the bound human and will be very powerful magically. It will most likely have a low level aura of its own. That is all I know" she said almost apologetically.

The old woman continued with a wave of her hand "Voldemort's demonic essence explains his incredible magical strength, but the anchoring process he underwent is the reason he did not go to Hell upon the destruction of his body. For you see, he will go to Hell when he dies because of his unnatural bonding. Remember this when you meet him, he has absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain and will fight you like a wounded and cornered animal.

"One more thing to keep in mind" The old woman said raising an old finger to make the point. "If he can merge his own essence with a demon, he can repeat the process for his henchmen."

******Head of DMLE's office, Ministry of Magic 0800 18 June 1995******

A small council of war was taking place. Albus Dumbledore, Amelia Bones, Henry Asquith and Connie Hammer were in the office discussing political maneuvering and current events and how to maximize votes based on the two. In two days time the vote for the new Minister for Magic would be held and the side of the light would be nominating Amelia Bones for the post. They were bringing out the big guns to nominate her. In an unprecedented move, the sitting Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, Albus Dumbledore, was going to nominate Amelia. They had checked and double-checked not only the applicable laws, but also the Wizengamot bylaws and protocol procedures. As far as anyone could discern, it was legal. Henry Asquith would second her.

No one knew for certain who the supremacists and Death Eaters would nominate. Henry put forth the hope that possibly the supremacists would sicken of the Death Eater's carnage and put forth their own candidate. This would split the pureblood block, assuring a landslide for Amelia. Albus and Henry had decided that they would chat up the moderate purebloods not in Henry's group to attempt to maneuver this hope into a reality.

Amelia was certain that there would be one candidate from the supremacist block that the Death Eaters could control. As such, the vote would be whisker thin. She was counting votes and her tally was very similar to the vote two days ago; slightly in her favor. She wanted to gather more votes, but pandering of her positions was anathema to her. She had no problem trying to win over voters to her way of thinking through discussion and argument, but pandering was right next to prostitution for her in her Hufflepuff value system. She was making lists of voters she needed to call on today to specifically call on their support. Henry's voting block had already volunteered to do the same for the "safe" votes.

Connie was much more practical than the others were. "Madam Bones" she said getting her boss' attention. "You will, from today on out, have a constant Auror guard detail when you are not at your primary residence. You will owl your guard detail coordinator when and where they should meet you in the mornings and apparate only to that position and then be accompanied by your guard detail until you apparate back to your place of residence in the evening. If, for some reason, you need to leave your residence in the evening, you will contact your guard detail coordinator and follow the same procedures." All this was said in a tone that brooked no discussion from any of the persons there, much less Bones. "Is this clear, Madam?"

With a look of amused seriousness, Amelia said "Why Head Auror Hammer, I do believe that you are bossing me around most egregiously." At Connie's unamused expression, Amelia waved her subordinate off "Yes, Connie. I'll comply with your security plan. Let me see the list of persons on the detail when you have it drawn up.

******Redfields House, Avalon 0930 Arrival +49 Months******

Ghosteyes and Vixen padded quietly up to Cuchulainn's clearing. One of them would rush ahead and then stop, giving a mental all clear before the other would rush ahead. They were taking a different route to the clearing every time to change up on their Warrior guide.

Eventually, they reached the clearing to find the dragon stretched out on the ground, apparently sound asleep. Vixen looked at Ghosteyes. Figures. It took us an hour to get here and he's asleep.

Yes, Lupa. I am. Or I was until you made enough noise to raise the dead from fifteen hundred meters away. Cuchulainn opened his eyes and looked at his charges with what could be described as mirth. Others that were fainter of heart would call it murderous intent. We shall talk of two items today. One serious and the other…fun.

Raising his head slightly the Razortail scratched behind his ear hole with the tip of his tail looking like an overgrown terrier… with a sword on its tail…and enormous talons and teeth. Actually, he looked nothing like a terrier. Fun first. In two weeks time we shall have a graduation exercise for you two. All training is suspended until then for you to rest and plan. He stood and stretched his back, arching it until he gave a little groaning roar. Ahh, better. You two shall have to use your wits and strengths against me, Marcus and the old woman. At the same time. And defeat us. At their shocked blank faces he smiled broadly, which was very scary indeed. Cuchulainn gave a series of grunts which Harry and Hermione had come to recognize as a dragon chuckling.

He settled back down, curling his tail around his body. Now onto the serious item. Fixing his yellow eyes on Harry he began. I have felt in you, youngling, a great many things. A desire to protect, great quantities of love, a keen intelligence, fierce loyalty, and one other thing that is very disturbing. I sense great anger and even hatred in you young one. It is directed in two directions is it not?

Harry stood and stalked to the other side of the clearing, saying nothing and not acknowledging that Cuchulainn had even spoken. After a few moments Harry turned back, but stayed on the far side of the clearing. Yes. I do have hatred in my heart for two people. What of it? By your own admission you too feel this for Voldemort, Honored One.

The great blue-black head was motionless and the crocodilian eyes bored into Harry's very soul. After a full minute, Cuchulainn sighed. I did not say I hated the dark one. I said my heart burned. Dragons, we mate for life and when our mate is killed before their natural time, there is an instinctive pull to avenge the death; our heart burns. However, we are not discussing me and my life, but you and your hatred. Hatred is dangerous. Hatred can be a great evil. It corrodes the soul and diminishes the Warrior. It is normal to have hatred for a period of time when you have been wronged, youngling. But to hold on to the resentment, to nurture it - even unconsciously - is very close to throwing yourself into the Pit. At Harry's slow nod of understanding, the Wise One continued. Tell me of your hatred.

Looking at the ground, Harry began to tell the story of his childhood. He told of the Dursleys' constant rejection of him, of their constant degradations. He told of the beatings and the starvation. He told of the cupboard. At the end, his face was awash in tears of pain and rage, like his wife's. He looked up from the ground to find Cuchulainn right in front of him. The dragon had silently closed the distance between them, his eyes were depthless, and beyond age as he mourned with his pupil. Continue, Harry. There is more.

He moved on to Dumbledore; the manipulations, the arrogance in his decisions. He told of how he considered the Headmaster to be as responsible as the Dursleys for his abusive upbringing. How the Headmaster had hidden the prophecy from him and had refused to train him.

He had spilled the poisonous bucket of pain and suffering and all the resultant anger, resentment and hatred for the other two to see. He felt exposed and vulnerable. Naked in the heat of the inferno fueled by his hatred and pain.

Very softly, the Great Warrior began to speak. True Warriors accomplish many impossible feats. Many songs are sung about our deeds on the battlefield. You face the battle for your soul. Forgiveness. You must forgive them or you surrender yourself to the darkness and it will consume you. You stated when we first began that you wished to be a warrior for the light. It includes this battle as well.

Forgiveness does not mean condoning their behaviors. What your Uncle and Aunt did and this Dumbledore allowed through inaction was reprehensible then, is now and always will be. Forgiveness is merely to remit the debt that they owe you. Harry looked at the Razortail with questioning eyes. I do not mean forgive the wergild where appropriate. I am referring to the emotional debt. The continual condemnation in your heart. It begins with a decision to stop accusing them there in your heart. It is irrelevant if the accusation is true or not. Hatred is an all-consuming fire that cannot be controlled. So you have to begin with a decision. You may have to reaffirm the decision many times throughout your life, but by doing so, you are free of them. In hatred, they still hurt you. In hatred, they still have power over you.

The dragon raised himself up and perched his wings to fly away. Hermione rushed over to her husband and enveloped him in her arms as they both wept. Cuchulainn whispered his last comments. You are a true Warrior, Harry Potter. I know you can do this.

******Charon House, Cumbria 0030 18 June 1995******

Remus, Alastor and Connie had sorted, diced and partitioned all the information they had legally and not so legally, extracted from the former Head of the Floo Regulation Division. They had even entered Remus and Alastor's memory in a pensieve to ensure nothing had been left out. Unfortunately, Thornberry had only been in Voldemorts presence once, which was to be branded. He had been side-along apparated while blindfolded, so he was of no use on that front. However, he had been a fount of information on the working level Death Eaters in the Department of Transportation, as well as, other mid level Death Eaters in whose societal circles he traveled.

Alastor still burst into fits of giggles when remembering Connie's depiction of Amelia's discovery of the semi-naked Thornberry in her office. Apparently, Amelia remembered her Auror time very well and could swear like a sailor when really exercised. Seemingly, finding a fat, half-naked Death Eater who had soiled himself, trussed up like a Christmas goose in her office tended to exercise her.

Connie and her internal Auror/DMLE task force was making headway in Transportation based on the Thornberry information. They had made six arrests and had three others in detention for 72 hours while they checked a few back stories and facts. Transportation as a division and the Floo as a means of transport were by no means safe yet, but visible progress was being made.

Now, the triad had decided to go fishing for some bigger fish in the pond. Albus, with Amelia's covert consent, was hoping to influence the elections in their favor so the target tonight was a very powerful and popular supremacist, Lord Alexander Blackthorne. His family was fairly wealthy, and very pureblood. He was much more calculating in voicing his opinion than, say, Malfoy, but his opinions were just as strongly held as Lucius'.

They had scanty intelligence, never a good thing, which told them that Blackthorne Hall was currently only occupied by the Master and Mistress. Their twin children had graduated Hogwarts four years previously and were supposed to be currently in Milan on an extended tour of the continent. The house was in Kent; no neighbors had sightlines of the Hall from their homes and the muggle repelling charms where so strong, that it was questionable if the neighbors even knew the house existed. Anti-portkey and anti-apparition wards were up, so the team would have to approach on foot from approximately one hundred yards out, across an exposed yard that had Alastor shouting for ten minutes about suicide approaches and the like and Connie in silent agreement.

It was unknown what kind, if any, sentries the Hall had - human or otherwise. It was unknown where in the hall the Master Suite was. It was unknown how many House Elves, if any, were in the house. Far too many unknowns, but they had their orders. Get Blackthorne.

Remus looked across the table at Connie. She had insisted on waiting at Charon House while the team was in the field. She had been in on the planning from the beginning. Unknown to Remus and Alastor, she had approached Albus and Amelia earlier that day, with a recommendation to cancel the operation. There were too many unknowns and the team too small to fight out of a really bad scrape with no back up available. Albus and Amelia had wanted the raids to be black, so there was no "Team B" waiting in case things went pear-shaped. Connie had made Remus and Alastor promise to use the Communication charm to contact her if she was needed. She had a vial of polyjuice ready so she could be at their side in moments to help if she was needed.

After briefing Bill and Charlie about the raid, the two redheads had been quiet. Bill spoke first "This is it? This is all we know?" Remus deliberately looked him in the eye and nodded. Bill nodded back and rubbed his chin in thought.

Charlie snorted. "Sorry gents, but this is a goat rope in the making. We are going to get so very screwed. I can tell and I'm not even close to the expert that you are" here he nodded to Alastor. "So do I get a kiss first or are you going to tell me what the hell is going on?" Remus gave the Weasleys the five minute synopsis and that they would have a one man back up team. That one `man', however, could fight like four. They needed to be very aware of who they cast at, because they may have friendlies about.

As they all went into the back sitting room, which had been set up as an armory, to be outfitted, there was an uneasy feeling and a lack of confidence that had not been present on their last op.

******Blackthorne Hall, Kent 0245 19 June 1995******

The four men portkeyed into the preplanned position while disillusioned. Remus looked up and down the dried streambed and then paused to listen with his keen werewolf hearing. He knew that Alastor was also scouting the area with his magical eye. A flick of his wand and his compatriots heard "All clear." A few moments later he heard from Mad-Eye "All clear" and they continued to hold on to the disillusioned rope they had used as their portkey and made their way to the house.

When they cleared the ravine, Remus jerked the rope hard - their stop and silent order. He had smelled something very odd that he could not place. The smell was…malevolent, if such a thing could be said. He didn't like it and the hair on the back of his neck was standing up. Flicking his wand, he sent to the others "Smell something out of place that I can't identify. Be ready to emergency egress." Giving a small tug on the rope - continue - they made their way up to the ornamental gate that was wide open.

They all felt the very strong wards as they passed through. Remus, being first through, had to lean forward to get through. He heard a moment later from Bill "Guys that was an incredibly strong containment ward. Since it let us in easily, it's keeping something in, not keeping someone out." Everyone paused at that news, and Remus had his wand hovering over the rope to portkey them out of there as soon as Alastor gave the word.

Instead, he heard "Ok, stay frosty. No telling what the hell that bastard Blackthorne has loose here. Beast-boy, any insight?" With Charlie's quick negative, they all moved forward slower, scanning left and right with occasional pauses to listen.

Remus smelled the others begin to sweat. If he could smell their sweating, so too could whatever was with them on this quarter moon night. The occasional squirrel and groundhog scampering about would cause the group to still and scan for trouble. Suddenly, all the sounds of the night went silent. No one liked that, but they saw and heard nothing, so they continued. They were about twenty yards from the front steps when they heard the growling. They all spun and saw two points of flame about thirty yards down the path they had come up. Remus heard Charlie in his ear "Oh fuck."

Bill was next "What! What is it?"

Three more sets of flame appeared, followed by a fourth addition to the original pair. They spread out along the path to the house between the Order members and any means of escape. All five of the beasts were growling with the occasional snarling bark. Charlie spoke, realizing that stealth was useless against these creatures "Hell Hounds. We are so very fucked, it isn't funny. Cutting curse to the neck is the only thing that'll kill these things, maybe an overpowered Blasting curse, but cutter to the neck is the best bet."

Moody said "What about the Killing curse?"

Charlie blanched and looked at the old Auror "Don't know."

Looking grim, Alastor said "Well, let's find out shall we? AVADA KEDAVRA!" and the fight began. Moody's Killing curse lanced out in green fire throwing the closest beast up in the air with a screaming howl.

Remus began a rapid-fire cutting curse barrage in the direction of two pinpoints of fire that he would later find out were the animals eyes. With a howl of anger and pain, he knew he connected before he heard the other animals charging from his right. With Alastor on his left, he turned right to see Charlie Weasley fighting off the hellspawn with his hands as it had leapt upon him. It looked like a Great Dane the size of a small horse with a slavering mouth and talons instead of claws. The same talons were tearing up the stocky redheads legs. Charlie did not scream but reached for his wand and sticking it in the ear of the beast yelled "CONFRINGO!" and was then covered in gore and green blood.

Bill had thrown up a glimmering gold shield behind which two Hell Hounds were contained. The struggle was evident on his face to keep the beasts where they were as they drove against the shield. With a sigh, Bill's shield failed and the other two charged. Remus put himself between the incapacitated Weasleys, and for a microsecond wished he could become Moony at will, before casting Cutting curses as fast as humanly possible while screaming "ALASTOR!"

"DIFFINDO!" came from his left and one beast fell headless. Remus concentrated his fire on the remaining Hound. The beast was bleeding a green ichor from multiple deep cuts on its face and maw, but had suffered no incapacitating hits yet. It sprang from ten yards out and time seemed to slow down for Remus. He dove left, letting the animal get over him, hoping that Bill could protect Charlie when he heard two voices behind him "DIFFINDO!" and the beast landed on the ground headless, a quiet thump announcing the return of its head to the earth.

Groaning as he stood, Remus turned and saw Bill bandaging his brother's wounds. "We need to get the hell out of here. Charlie, can you walk?" Charlie stood and could limp while being supported by his brother. With a nod they started slowly back to the ravine and the edge of the wards. With no warning, Remus was attacked by an injured Hell Hound. It latched on to his wand arm and bit down hard. Without thinking, Remus jabbed at its eye socked with his left hand. The beast screamed and released his arm. Alastor dispatched the beast with a quick cutter and they moved even faster to the edge of the ward.

Bill was now levitating his brother, when Mad-Eye said "Probably one more. You Ok?" Remus nodded and picked up the pace. When they reached the edge of the ward, they couldn't walk through. Mad-Eye nodded to Bill and after setting his brother down, began his specialty with Remus and Alastor guarding his back. Seventeen seconds later the wards came down with a crash that had to wake up everyone within a ten-mile radius. Alastor muttered "Helps having a professional curse breaker along. Everyone should have one." Four steps later, Remus conjured another rope and they portkeyed away. Mission Failure with two wounded. Not a good night.

******Redfields House, Avalon 2130 Arrival +50 Months******

Since their discussion with the old woman, Harry and Hermione had been much more driven in their studies. Motivation took on a completely new world of meaning as they newlyweds would be the last ones to bed and the first ones awake for their studies and exercises. When Sirius asked Harry if they were pushing too hard, Harry looked at his godfather as if he had lost his mind. "Sirius, I have to kill the most powerful wizard alive who has merged his very soul with a powerful demon. He knows that he is going to Hell if he dies and you are asking me if we are pushing too hard?" Harry shook his head and went back to the table where he and his wife were studying. As Sirius left, Harry stopped and looked at Hermione for a moment. You know you will be his number one target, don't you? Even more than me.

She looked at her husband and tugged his hand so that he sat down with her and she scooted her chair closer to his. She snuggled into his side while he wrapped his arms around her. I know. I also don't care. You're mine, husband. Don't forget it and she placed a kiss on his hand that was holding her close. I was at the top of his kill list before we even dated, much less now that we are married. We are training and studying far into the night so that we can live to be very old and have lots of babies and grandbabies, right? She looked up and saw a smile on his face while she chuckled. You think I'm kidding?

Outright laughing now, Harry pulled her closer. No, love, I know you aren't. I can't wait to see you looking like you have a beach ball under your shirt.

Now she was laughing along with him. Yeah, you're lucky. You have your thirty minutes of fun and I get the nine months of carrying the sprog. Her mission of cheering up Harry accomplished she stood. Come on let's go for a walk.

They walked outside under the full moon and meandered into the garden for a bit. They sat and Hermione snuggled into Harry so that she could lean back into his chest while she felt safe between his legs. Do we have to go back? At her quick turn around with wide eyes, he continued. Look, I know we will go back and kill that bastard, but to be honest, part of me wants to stay here with you and our "family." Hermione calmed when she understood what he was saying. This has been the happiest four years of my entire life, I've never been more content, and happy than here at Redfields. I know that when we go back there will be darkness and death. Death that we'll have to deal out. It's why we came in the first place. I am just reluctant to leave. I have a feeling that we'll be leaving soon. Probably soon after Sirius and Loreena's wedding.

Hermione resumed her seat and cuddled back into her husband. I know, love. I feel the same way. Kind of conflicted, yeah? On the one hand, I would love to stay here with you and continue our cycle of studying, exercise and mind-blowing sex. Harry chuckled a bit at that. However, part of me also is itching to get it on with the Death Eaters and Tommy. See if they like it when Harry and Hermione Potter kick in their door with death in their hands, you know?

Yeah, I do. Harry was silent and sat there holding his wife silently while listening to the night sounds. The moon was hanging in the sky like a beautiful lamp as if its sole purpose was to illuminate their evening. After a bit he stirred. So a month or so then? Sirius and Loreena were to be married in two weeks time.

Hermione nodded. Yeah. Let's have a talk with everyone tomorrow morning. Marcus has told us that we are just honing the edge with him. Same with Cuchulainn. Minerva told me that with a little more work, she'd sign off on a Mastery for me in Transfiguration. Apparently, Jamie told her that you aren't far off in Charms either. I think we're about ready to go back.

Harry pulled her close. I love you. The night passed as they sat and watched and wondered.

The next morning, they were studying and the old woman and Rhodri walked into the library greeting them warmly. Harry furrowed his brow for a moment. It's not today is it? I thought we had three more days until the exercise?

Yeah, you're right. Wonder what they want?

Smiling softly, the old woman took up their thread "What I want, my pupils, is to have a little chat. You have done very well with our studies, and though we could continue to work together for another century, you are ready to do what needs be done." Pausing, she said "What you have yet to learn, you will learn by living and using your skills. But that is not why I have come today. I wanted to talk about you" here she nodded at Harry "and your dark lord. You know that he is the heir of Salazar Slytherin, yes?" When the Potters nodded, she continued, "You my Lord Gryffindor are of course the last of your line, as he is of his. Do you know why this is so?"

After a few moments of silence, Harry's eyes opened wide "Blood Feud."

The King nodded in approval as Hermione's eyes widened in recognition of the implications. "Indeed, a blood feud. As the Potter family is a relation of the house of Pendragon, we are aware through multiple means" and here he glanced at the old woman "of the nature of this feud. As you may gather, the blood feud was issued and sealed by Slytherin when he and your ancestor quarreled after the building of Hogwarts. Even I do not know the final issue at the heart of the conflict between the two men. I don't suppose it matters now, does it?" he said with a small smile. "Anyway, a magical blood feud ties the two lines so that they will always come into conflict; in arms, financial issues, even academic pursuits. Not until one line exterminates the other, or the issuing line revokes the feud will it be ended."

Harry leaned back in his chair and smiling at the King said "While all this is very interesting, it doesn't really change the state of affairs, does it?"

Very seriously, the King responded, "No it doesn't. Voldemort still wants to kill you for two reasons; the prophecy and the feud. However young man" the King said in a tone which was intended to upbraid Harry "what about the implications for your wife and your children when they are born? If Voldemort and by extension, the entire Slytherin line are not exterminated they will come after your family. They must come after your family. I doubt if the blood feud is even known in your world so that it could be rescinded if a Slytherin heir was feeling charitable."

Hermione, pale and shaken said, "No, it isn't."

Rhodri nodded in satisfaction. Rubbing a hand on the soft velvet of the arm of the chair, he said "I have very little doubt that this feud is the reason that Voldemort came after you that All Hollow's Eve so many years ago. I doubt he even knew the reason why he chose you. I'm sure that the magic of the feud drove him to the inheritor of Godric."

Hermione was nodding and assimilating the information and drawing conclusions when she suddenly paled even further and gasped. She nearly shouted at her mate. Harry!

"I'm right here, Mione, no need to shout. What's up?" he said while rubbing his head.

She looked at her husband and then at the other two "What if Voldemort has a blood heir? Someone who would carry it on. Just because he is the last heir of Slytherin, doesn't mean that state of affairs has to be unchanged" and the old woman nodded.

"That is what I wanted to discuss with you. I believe that your dark lord is attempting to find a suitable mate to carry on his line" at this pronouncement a wave of disgust washed over Harry from Hermione. She shook her head to clear the mental image. "As such, time is not on your side. A positive piece of information is that due to the nature of his magically constructed body, he will most likely find it difficult to father a child." Now the old woman's countenance turned stern "Do not count on this inability though. Find the anchor for his essence. Destroy it and then the man as soon as you can."

Three days passed and Harry and Hermione ambled out to the dueling circle holding hands. They were laughing and joking as they approached their three opponents. Marcus frowned while the old woman smiled. Harry winked at her when they got close enough and she laughed aloud. "Have you figured us out and come up with a counter Gryffindor?"

Harry sketched a short bow and smiled at the old woman. "Ma'am, I must honestly put forth that my incredibly beautiful and unbelievably intelligent bride figured it out on the way back from the Honored One" here he nodded at the massive dragon "and mentioned something called the Kobiyashi Maru. I had no idea to what she was referring. Apparently, in a fictional story back home in order to graduate from a school, cadets are required to fight in a simulation named `Kobiyashi Maru'. They fight in this simulation in which it is impossible to win in order for their instructors to evaluate their decision making skills in extreme situations" here he looked to Hermione to continue the story.

Hermione blushed and said "Yes. Well, only one person in this story succeeded in winning the simulation. He recognized the test for what it was, and the evening before, reprogrammed the simulation so that he could win."

Marcus' frown deepened "He cheated."

Harry smiled "Actually, we like to think that he saw an opportunity to turn the tide of his fortunes in his own direction and took advantage of his enemy's complacency" and as soon as Harry said "complacency" four stunners shot out and knocked Marcus and the old woman out. The stunners were followed quickly by Binding spells from the unseen assailants, tying the two instructors firmly. Sirius, Loreena, Minerva and Jamie cancelled their Disillusionment charms and watched as Ghosteyes and Vixen took advantage of Cuchulainn's surprise and distraction to try to make him submit quickly. The two Dire Wolves charged, but Cuchulainn who was not an ancient dragon for no reason, leapt into the air over the wolves charge. He was not inhibited by the woods here on the plain and gained altitude before swooping back toward his challengers.

Harry and Hermione reverted back to their human forms as soon as the dragon took to the air. They were at a distinct disadvantage in their wolf forms when he was in the air, so they were going to try and get him to join them on the ground. Looking at his wife Harry raised his eyebrows in question. Ready?

Bracing herself and holding her arms above her head she cast the strongest shielding spell she could while Harry crouched under her protection. For those who could see, Harry's avatar sped into the air toward Cuchulainn with his hands out and grasping. They had discussed it and researched, but they did not know if they could actually hurt or even affect such a powerfully magical being like Cuchulainn with their avatars, but it was the only way to level the playing field with him in flight.

Harry began a steady stream of high-powered curses and hexes to keep Cuchulainn focused on the two on the ground to give his avatar at least one unopposed attack attempt. It was difficult to control his avatar from so far away and still have control of his body at the same time. If he were to try and only control his avatar, it would be easier, but much more dangerous to leave his body immobile in a battle situation. As Harry-A dove at the dragon he found shields so powerful he reeled but continued to press the attack. Harry made headway to the point of seeing Cuchulainn's astonished surface thoughts before his avatar self faded. From the ground, the observers saw the great dragon stagger in mid air. Harry watched exactly where Cuchulainn flew. Ready for round two?

Go.

Harry apparated away from Hermione silently as she took over casting high powered Blasting curses and Reductor curses. Harry reappeared directly above the dragon, and after a quick moment to orient himself, Harry reached deep in his magical core and cast an extremely overcharged Stunning spell.

From below, Hermione watched her husband. She could feel him reach within and the massive power response. They thought to try this tactic early so that Harry would have more of his magical reservoir available. She saw him glow red for a moment before a wave of scarlet energy lanced from Harry to the dragon. The dragon recoiled with the impact of the spell and began to free fall to the earth, stunned. Harry apparated to about ten feet off the ground in front of Hermione where she caught him and lowered him gently before doing the same with their last remaining instructor. She grunted with the effort of slowing and then lowering the massive dragon, but in the end, Cuchulainn landed with a soft thud.

Harry stood with his hands on his knees, panting. The stunner had taken quite a bit out of him. It was a big chance, because if it had failed, he would be next to useless in continuing the fight for a bit and would have had to hide while Hermione fought a covering battle until he could contribute again. Fortunately, it had worked out.

The six watchers, for Dan and Emma had come outside to watch, burst into applause. Sirius had a big smile as he picked up Hermione and swung her around. Jamie and Minerva unbound Marcus and the old woman before waking them. Marcus scowled at them for a moment. He broke into a big smile when he saw Cuchulainn stunned ten yards away. Turning back to the young couple, he said "Well done. You graduate."

****** Ministry of Magic, Wizengamot Chambers 1100 20 June 1995******

"…and therefore, I nominate Lord Alexander Blackthorne to be our next illustrious Minister for Magic" concluded Dolores Umbridge after a ten minute speech that had almost all the members of the Wizengamot, regardless of affiliation, staring at her in revulsion at her innuendo, blatant lies and breathtaking bigotry.

Interesting, a Death Eater or supporter is nominating a pureblood supremacist. I wonder if he isn't a closet Death Eater. After the other night, it wouldn't surprise me. Albus collected himself and stood "Thank you Madam Umbridge, does anyone second the nomination of Lord Blackthorne?"

George Gardiner stood and seconded the nomination, shocking Albus. Gardiner had voted with the Government the other day.

So far, two men had been nominated by their friends and had no chance of winning or even garnering more than two or three votes. Blackthorne was the first real candidate. The Chief Warlock rose again "Are there any others present who wish to nominate a worthy candidate to be Minister for Magic?" In the silence, he looked around and finally said "I do."

The immediate uproar from the left hand side of the chamber had been expected. Surreptitiously putting his wand to his throat and muttering "Sonorous" Dumbledore put is right hand out in front of him, palm out and bellowed "SILENCE!" Canceling the spell, he said "This is unusual for the Chief Warlock to nominate a candidate, but not illegal or without precedent. In these times, these very dark times I see the need for a leader to steer our ship of state through the troubles ahead. I have lived a very long time and seen the rise of another dark lord who threatened our society and our way of life. Gellert Grindlewald was defeated in battle by me, but Tiberius Longbottom's Government who stood strong under assault from the Knights of Walpurgis and the muggle armies of Germany defeated his assault on our society. We need a person of character like Tiberius Longbottom, a person of integrity like Tiberius Longbottom." Dumbledore was invoking the pantheon of heroes of the recent past. Albus knew that he was considered a hero for his defeat of Grindlewald and had no compunction exploiting that fact in this situation. In addition, Tiberius Longbottom was considered a hero. Great grandfather of young Neville, he had stewarded the Government through the turbulent thirties and forties and even fought off four attempts on his life and his family.

"For far too long we have had the politics of compromise. It is time that we have a leader who will chart a course for Britain to extinguish the hatred and lunacy that is being spread by Lord Voldemort and his minions." After the expected shudders with a few unexpected yelps from the direction of the Malfoy seat, he continued "Corruption has no place in a modern state, yet we have corruption permeating our entire makeup. It is time to move to the light. We have an obligation to provide a better country to our children and grandchildren. We need a person who has vision, who has integrity, who can do the job that needs to doing. We need Amelia Bones. I nominate Madam Amelia Bones as Minister for Magic."

As they had planned, Henry immediately stood and bellowed out "Seconded!"

Albus quickly called for any more nominations. After a cursory glance, he called the nominations to a close and then with a wave of his wand the voting apparatus appeared in the center of the chamber. A large jet-black orb stood waiting to receive and tally the votes. "Voting is now open. The nominated persons are Joseph Caldwell, Daniel Livingstone, Lord Alexander Blackthorne and Amelia Bones."

Less then five minutes later, he called for anyone who had yet to vote. Seeing no hands raised, Albus nervously cast the charm to have the votes tallied and displayed for all to see and exhaled in relief. The final tally: Joseph Caldwell 3 votes, Daniel Livingstone 5 votes, Lord Alexander Blackthorne 207 votes and Amelia Bones 211 votes.

"My Lords and Ladies. Members and proxy members of the Wizengamot, Amelia Bones is our new Minister for Magic, may we wish her good fortune in her endeavors."

A/N

1) I own nothing.

2) Recommendation for this chapter is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Take Two by Rihaan. Really good "re-righting" of Book 7, while leaving the original plot in a skeletal form.

3) No, there isn't a Duke of Connaught anymore. Queen Victoria created the title for her third son who passed it on to his son who had no heirs. Connaught is one of the ancient five kingdoms of Ireland from the time when the High King ruled at Tara. The other four are Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Meath.

4) Acushla is an Irish term of endearment, it means "love of my heart."

5) On the death of her father, Henry I, in 1135, Henry's eldest daughter Matilda (the future Empress Maud) expected to succeed to the throne of England, but her cousin, Stephen of Blois, a nephew of Henry I, usurped the throne with the support of most of the barons, breaking the oath he had previously made to defend her rights. An immediate reason for this was that Stephen was in England, whilst Matilda was in Anjou, in France. The civil war which followed was bitter and prolonged, with neither side gaining the ascendancy for long, but it was not until 1139 that Matilda could command the military strength necessary to challenge Stephen within his own realm. The war ceased active military operations in 1148 with the escape of Matilda to France and her second husbands holdings in Anjou (Her first husband was the Holy Roman Emperor Henry V). Stephen had a troubled reign and in 1153, after many raids and hostile actions signed the Treaty of Wallingford, naming Matilda's son Henry (future Henry II) his heir.

6) Some notes about my dragons and Dire Wolves.

As I see it, dragons can only use their fire so much, as it's magical fire and would tire them out too much to constantly use it. If a dragon came up against a pack of Dire Wolves, their numbers would overwhelm him and he'd go down in short order. Dire wolves and dragons in general are mortal enemies because the wolves are the only beast (except maybe a Manticore or Chimera and of course, a Basilisk) that can kill a dragon. They're both Alpha predators. Also, a dragon doesn't need a 'runway' of sorts prior to taking flight. Part of his inherent magic allows those wholly insubstantial wings to lift a 5 ton body

For our metrically focused readers:

Vixen weighs 300lbs=136.4kg

Ghosteyes weighs 350lbs = 158.8kg

7) For those of you that are unaware, the Kobiyashi Maru simulation is from "Star Trek" and the only person to win: Cadet James Tiberius Kirk.

8) For those of you who think there is no way Harry could stun a dragon, in GOF JKR mentions that there were "seven or eight" handlers per dragon when Harry sees them in the woods with Hagrid and all the dragons get stunned. Figure that due to purification, Harry (and Hermione) is probably as strong as four average Wizards. On top of that, by overcharging like he did, I can see him knocking out Cuchulainn, especially after the prolonged avatar attack. And if you don't like that, well tough. It's my story .

-->