Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 7: The Goblins

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them

William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night Act II, V, 159

******Black Manor, London 0700 30 May 1995******

A frowzy Harry Potter walked from his bathroom over to his wardrobe to dress for the day. From the corner of his room, next to the window, Hedwig gave a snuffling bark and resettled on her perch. It had been another restless night, sometimes filled with nightmares of things past, and waking moments filled with ponderings of things yet to come. He opened his wardrobe to dress. I've got to get some new clothes, I'm not going to wear the crap the Dursley's gave me any longer than I have to. Harry was surprised to see an entirely new wardrobe in his drawers and hanging on the rack. A note from Sirius was suspended in the air at eye level. Grasping it, he read:

Pup,

Given the state of the rags those people clothed you in; I took the liberty of picking up some essentials. Feel free to throw all your old clothes on the fire. I got you some new shoes, and after brekkie, we'll size them for you. The boots will auto-size to fit you. Hope you like

Padfoot

Harry found a selection of muggle and wizard clothes that were actually quite stylish. One set of robes caught his eye. They seemed to be woven of exquisitely soft silk and had a crest on his left breast and thick gold bands embroidered on the cuffs of the sleeves. These must be the robes for the Head of House that Mione was telling me about. That must be the crest of the Potters. It had the rampant lion grasping the upturned sword from his ring, but this was superimposed on top of a Griffin in flight towards the viewer with an open beak and extended claws. Pretty brilliant crest, if I say so myself, smiling to himself. Changing into a new shirt and shorts, Harry went barefoot in search of Hermione to see if she wanted any breakfast. Stopping in front of what he assumed was her door, he was a bit nervous about the new clothes and how he looked. Despite fighting monsters of yore, saving humanity many times over, he was still a teenager who wanted to look good for his girl. Gryffindors charge. After he knocked on her door, Hermione answered wearing a Gryffindor Quidditch T-shirt and jeans and her mouth dropped open while she froze.

"So is this a good thing that you're not saying anything, or a bad thing?" he nervously asked. Her answer was to grab him by the shirt front, drag him into her room and kiss him until he didn't even know his own name.

As they rearranged their clothing to go down to breakfast, Hermione looked over at Harry with not a little trepidation and said "How are you doing? After yesterday and all?"

Harry was thoughtful for a few moments and replied "I'm not really sure. I don't want to even see Dumbledore any time soon, much less talk to him. I think that I might kill Snape, but beyond that, it's all a mess." You are my anchor. I would have lost control and attacked him yesterday without you. I think I hate him, what does that make me?

After an excellent breakfast by a beaming Dobby and Winky, the teens retired to the library. Harry went to his room to get the book he'd been reading. As he snuggled up next to Hermione on one of the couches, she glanced up from The First Universal Law of Transfiguration, A Treatise and looked over to see what he was reading. He saw her looking and explained "It's a book Sirius and McGonagall `recommended' I finish as soon as I can" and he showed her the cover of The Complete Guide to the Animagus Transformation that he got from Hogwarts. At Hermione's look of disbelief, he said "They both thought it'd be a good idea for me" and at her narrowed eyes he hurriedly added "and you to have an animal form either for combat or stealth depending on what our forms are."

She took his hand and thought for a minute before squaring her shoulders to him and saying "Love, it's not just about learning new things that I want to be involved. It's because I'm with you in this until the end. Prophecy be damned, I'm not letting you go through this alone. I love you." At this point Harry engulfed his girlfriend in a hug that she returned wholeheartedly. She was surprised to see a few tears on his cheeks, "What's wrong?"

Taking off his glasses and wiping his face he sheepishly said "I still get taken by surprise that you or Sirius or Remus, or even your parents, really care about me like you just said. I know Padfoot and Moony would walk through fire for me. You'd do more than that. Hell, you have done more than that" he added with a wet chuckle. "It's just overwhelmingly new sometimes" and he was then engulfed in a hug from Hermione. "Ok, enough of this, we have some reading to do. I'll look to see if this library has that book, if not, I'll read your copy when you're done.

Sirius stuck his head in "Hey pup, there you are." Walking in to join them he continued "The clothes look good on you. Let me eat & I'll show you how to resize your shoes. Make sure you put on the black dragon hide boots and try on your Head of House robes, the Goblins owled back, we're on Ragnok's calendar for half one today."

******Minister's Office, Ministry of Magic London 0830 30 May 1995******

Over breakfast, the three senior personnel in the Ministry for Magic were strategizing their pseudo-war against Lord Voldemort. After the niceties had been exchanged and food had been served, they discussed where they stood after politicking and presenting private briefs to Wizengamont members who were friendly to their cause. Dumbledore said "I believe the Mr. Asquith will be most amenable to an alliance to support our freezing of Death Eater assets and funds. We need to remember to press the issue of freezing Death Eater assets, not pureblood family assets."

Fudge nodded his head. He really wanted nothing to do with all this. He was taking action, because in good conscience he couldn't stand back and do nothing. Only a fool would do nothing, and one doesn't become the Minister for Magic by being a fool. In the end though, he knew in his heart that he wasn't cut out to be a wartime minister. He was meant to be a peacetime minister; working his way through budget quagmires and playing the parliamentary process like a violin. These things he was good at, not all…this. This violence, rapine, bloodshed and murder. These things turned his stomach and made him want to run every time the details came up. He felt that he owed Britain a big push, to get the war effort off its feet and then talk to Albus about finding a competent successor. Probably Amelia if she wanted the job. But then who would fill her role as DMLE? Scrimgeour? No, he didn't have the backbone needed. Coming back to the present, "Yes, that was my experience as well. By focusing on Death Eaters most members were unabashedly supportive. I'm not as familiar with Asquith as you are Albus, what's his story?"

Henry Asquith was the last scion of a cadet branch of Hufflepuff house. Still relatively young at 50 years old, he was unmarried and devoted his time to potions research and his Wizengamont duties. His current projects included an attempt to develop a non-addictive dreamless sleep potion. Fortunately for him, he was independently wealthy. He was very soft-spoken on most topics but when roused about something that was his passion, he was a lion. "I remember him pounding on the rail in front of him as he gave a most fervent speech during the last Voldemort war. He was the deciding vote in support of increasing the Auror forces at the time. That vote was the point that the Government put its all into the conduct of the war." Smiling and shaking his head "Henry is a good man. He can be blinkered by the strangest things though. Manners are of very high import to him. If someone is rude, he very politely stops listening and walks away. On the whole, though, I believe that he will support us. He is a pureblood, but hardly a supremacist. Definitely not a Death Eater. If you'd like I will approach him."

With a considering frown, Fudge nodded his head "How will you approach him Albus? Directly? Or will you try a quid pro quo?"

"We are both members of Blacks; I will approach him after dinner this evening or possibly tomorrow. Directness is best with him. Any kind of subterfuge with him is abhorrence. Must be the Hufflepuff in him" the old headmaster finished with a smile.

******Gringotts Bank, Diagon Alley London 1330 30 May 1995******

After much greeting by second tier goblins of Lord Black and Lord Potter, Sirius and Harry were shown into the office of the Director of Gringotts right on the stroke of the half hour. At the window, Ragnok and Goldbag were apparently discussing something of importance. At either end of the long rectangular room were two goblin warriors in full battle regalia, including halberd, sword and armor. At seeing their entry, the goblins approached and Ragnok said "My Lords, thank you very much for making time to see us." Harry blinked at the statement. Here were the two most powerful goblins on the planet thanking him for seeing them? Looking at Ragnok he saw a goblin that stood slightly taller than him, broad in the shoulder with a wicked scar that ran from his left temple down his face to his jaw. He wore gold vambraces on each arm with different runes inscribed on each and Harry saw a hilt of a dagger poking out of his opulent robes. Ragnok was not someone he'd like to meet in a dark alley.

Sirius rose to the occasion "Overlord Ragnok, Clan Chieftain Goldbag, you do us great honor in receiving us on such short notice. Lord Potter and I are deeply in your debt. How can we be of service to the Goblin Nation on this fine day?"

Seeing they were getting down to business, the four moved to a sitting area and arrayed themselves around a low tea table. Harry looked unblinking as Ragnok looked him in the eye for almost a full minute. The goblin barked a laugh, "You will do well my Lord Potter, very well. We have much to discuss so I will not waste words. I understand that there is a wizard prophecy regarding you my Lord" here he indicated to Harry with his hand, "The Goblin Nation would like to know its contents."

At Sirius and Harry's nonplussed expressions, Ragnok continued "We have a prophecy of our own about you my Lord Potter, which I believe Clan Chieftain Goldbag, inferred to you." Here Goldbag nodded his head once and spoke up "Indeed, I did. Please forgive the subterfuge, but our goal was to quietly arrange for this meeting between the four of us. You my Lord Black are my Lord Potters current guardian, but only for today, for my sources tell me that your emancipation paperwork will be approved today and take affect tomorrow. We do recognize your role as a chief counselor to my Lord Potter, hence your presence."

Ragnok and Goldbag both paused and looked at Harry expectantly. Harry looked to Sirius, expecting some of that heretofore mentioned "counseling" to start happening soonest. Sirius sputtered a bit and then glancing left and right at the goblin guards said "Overlord, would you permit privacy wards for the remainder of our discussion?" At Ragnok's nod, Sirius waved his wand as if making an inverted vertical cone and muttered the spell. He looked to Harry and said "Sorry Harry, this is on you to decide. I recommend you tell them, but you've got to decide."

Harry nodded. They can be powerful allies. But what if they tell the balance of the prophecy to Voldemort? On the other hand, they have their own prophecy they feel is about me that Sirius thinks is important to know. I want to know. At this point Harry nodded and told them the prophecy. He was surprised by large open mouthed grins from Ragnok and Goldbag.

Ragnok spoke with a hint of delight in his voice "Many thanks for your trust and honesty my Lord. We suspected your prophecy was in this vein, and we" here he indicated Goldbag and himself "greet a warrior of prophecy with honor" and they beat their right fist against their breast in one sharp stroke. "Our prophecy was made by one of our most famous seers, Ridgebrow, approximately three hundred and fifty years ago, after the last great goblin war that resulted in the harsh treatment that was imposed on us by the wizarding government. It reads as such

He shall destroy the evil one thrice

Stormbrow, Mage and Warrior shall he be

She shall be the Shieldmaiden and Scholar

Out of the darkness and misery

They shall lift our peoples

Through wand, sword and word

They shall lift our peoples

Centaur, Elf and Goblin

They shall lift our peoples

"Many of our people thought that Grindlewald was the evil one mentioned, but no one matching `Stormbrow the Mage and Warrior' nor `the Shieldmaiden and Scholar' rose to defeat him" he shook his head in negation remembering previous discussions and arguments. "Albus Dumbledore did defeat him twice, but he is not the Stormbrow. After your first defeat of Voldemort and you acquired your famous scar" he said waving his hand in the general direction of Harry's brow "we, the leadership of the goblin nation, saw what is and what is to be. We knew Voldemort would return, as you needed to defeat him twice more. We prepared. We watched. We waited. I believe that Voldemort is back again." At this point Sirius made a noise of agreement while nodding his head in concurrence. "The assassinations of the Ministry employees coupled with the fact that I understand the scum of the Death Eaters have begun their foul sport of `muggle hunting' again. These activities united with requests from the ministry for monitoring certain accounts and a request to give an estimate for manning your prison Azkaban all tells us that Voldemort has returned and your Ministry is rightly afraid."

Sirius was silent, mulling over the statements from the Overlord. Obviously they are giving quite a bit of information because they want something. Harry is the Stormbrow and Hermione is obviously the Shieldmaiden. They want Harry to pick up the mantle as the Stormbrow and Hermione as Shieldmaiden. This could lead to a very powerful alliance, or at least powerful informal assistance.

Harry sat in silence as Ragnok's words rolled over him. Why me? Why does it always have to be me? Voldemort and I are personal. He killed my parents, keeps coming after me. Ok, fine. But this? What am I, the goblin Messiah? Lifting his eyes to the two goblins across from him Harry replied "Yes, he has returned" and then proceeded to relate to them what happened in the graveyard of Little Hangleton.

******Ottery St Catchpole, Devon 1600 30 May 1995******

A sullen Ron Weasley was walking back from village to his house out on the outskirts of town, head bowed, hands stuffed in the pockets of his threadbare jeans. He was so incensed, he was talking out loud to himself "Of course I get punished. Perfect Potter gets off free. I'm the one that was in the infirmary! How am I going to come up with 575 galleons? Potter has gold coming out of his ears. Now I have to scrape for muggles…" and his rant continued in that vein. He had just acquired employment as a loader at the local grange. His job was to help unload the farmers lorries as they came in and then stack the processed food product bags onto pallets for outbound shipment. He had no idea if his pay would be sufficient to cover his expenses. He figured he'd throw a few quid a week into a jar on the table to show his parents that "he was really serious" and save the rest on getting things he wanted for himself. Mainly a broom of his own.

******Black Manor, London 1830 30 May 1995******

When Harry and Sirius returned from Gringotts, Harry immediately retired to his room, ostensibly to think, but in reality, he was feeling pretty sorry for himself and was indulging himself in a really good sulk. Hermione found him after he had a good head of steam up and interrupted his self-pity with a cheery "Hey there love, how'd it go?"

In response, she got a surly glance with a muttered "ok" in return.

Frowning and putting her hands on her hips she assumed her "no nonsense from my man" pose. With an air of unbeatable authority she said "Well, Harry James Potter, are you going to brood like a child all afternoon or are you going to tell me what the problem happens to be?"

He looked up at her sheepish and defeated. "I'm sorry" and here he pulled her into his lap. She gave a little "Eeep" before landing and he wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her hair, breathing deeply. After she wrapped her own arms around his neck, he calmed down enough to talk. After he told her the contents of the prophecy, they both agreed that she was most likely the Shieldmaiden. Surprisingly, it didn't bother her too much. "It doesn't change anything, really. It gives me an excuse to work on S.P.E.W" she said with a mischievous smile. Harry gave a half-hearted smile and groaned "Why is it always me? I don't want all this. I don't want to have people depend on me or have to pull it out of the fire again and again. I don't want to be famous, I never asked for it. Why me?" As she engulfed him in a hug, a warm feeling of being loved and cared for swept over him. What would I do without you Hermione Jane? I don't think I could make it for very long.

She pulled back and looked at him with a loving smile. "Come on, Professor McGonagall's here for dinner and I believe to stay the night. Looks like tomorrow is the big day. Let's go get some dinner."

As the teens ambled into the large drawing room, they saw a sight they'd never seen before. Minerva McGonagall was sitting on the divan, talking to Hermione's parents and the two remaining Marauders and laughing.

"Oh, the stories I could tell you about these two and Harry's father. Of course I had to be stern with them, but when I got to my quarters or the staff room, I would laugh myself silly. One time they had Pettigrew distract me" and here she looked at Remus with a wry grin "It didn't work. While the other three miscreants proceeded to charm the seats of the chairs at the head table of the Great hall so that all of the staff's robes would appear to vanish to themselves, but remain visible to all the students. I ran from the hall while I heard the Astronomy professor screaming at the top of her lungs "Potter! Black! Lupin! Pettigrew! Detention with me for a month!" At that she had to stop her recitation because she was laughing so hard tears were starting to leak out of the corners of her eyes. "Filius and I still laugh about that one. Oh, my, I needed that." She finished somewhat ruefully. While the two Marauders and their former Head of house composed themselves, the teens came closer.

After McGonagall had collected herself and the teens taken seats, she turned her attention to Harry "Mr. Potter, Harry if I may?" At his nod, she continued "Have you finished the reading your Godfather and I assigned to you?"

With a short nod Harry replied "Yes ma'am. Also, Hermione is almost done with the reading as well. We figured that since she is so involved with what is to come, then the logic for me to achieve the transformation applies to her also."

At this point, Minerva caught up Dan and Emma on the Animagus transformation and what it all entailed. Turning back to the teens, `Professor McGonagall' was back in full force "Very well. When we reach our destination tomorrow, Sirius and I will work out a training schedule with the other instructors that are sure to be there. Be advised, the both of you, this will not be an easy or quick process. You are both very good at transfiguration, but it took me eighteen months" and here she looked at Harry "and your father and Godfather a full two years to successfully transform and hold the transformation for any period of time. I hope that you are both ready to work. I do believe, though, that my own successful Animagus transformation is one of my proudest achievements as an individual in my magical efforts."

"Mine as well" chimed in Sirius. Surprisingly, Sirius added "This must be taken seriously, as you can get hurt by approaching this lackadaisically. Someday, I'll tell you about some of the rat's screw ups"

Suitably cowed, Harry and Hermione could only nod and provide assurances that they would not play about and would do as they were instructed.

After this bit of seriousness, they all sat down and had a very relaxed and enjoyable meal. Away from school, Minerva McGonagall was actually an enjoyable dinner companion. Telling stories of her childhood in the Highlands when young Minnie Frasier and Jamie McGonagall, the Laird's son, would chase kine through the heather and other misadventures of her youth. Jamie turned out to be a muggleborn wizard, whereas Minerva grew up in one of the great Highland magical families. In the Highlands, where populations were more scattered, magical and muggle mixed more freely, as it was easier to hide magic than in the cities.

Jamie and Minnie attended Hogwarts together and were both in Gryffindor. With a smile on her face and a brightening of her eyes she told them of how they married shortly after graduation. They had returned home so that Jamie could assume the duties as Laird, which is the Highland equivalent of Head of House. Years later, tragedy struck and their home was attacked by the Knights of Walpurgis during the tail end days of the Grindlewald war. She and Jamie had become separated in the burning building. He never came out.

"How sad!" Hermione said to Harry as they slowly walked up to their rooms after dinner for some last minute packing. "She still loves him that is obvious. It would be like you being taken from me right when things are going so well." Here she stopped and grabbed Harry's arm. "You don't do anything stupid, you hear me Potter?"

Trying to hide his smile as he knew his girlfriend was in earnest, he replied "I won't do anything stupid" and they went upstairs.

A/N

1) I own nothing

2) In Britain during the Napoleonic Wars and the Victorian age, men of substance belonged to Gentlemen's Clubs (and no, there were no naked women for those of you that are dirty minded!) Ones social standing was very much determined by which club you belonged to, as you then had access to "quality" people. Blacks was such a club which consistently had royalty as members as well as people of the highest social standing. Of course Dumbledore would belong to Blacks. Also, here I'm beginning to blur muggle/magical lines. More to follow in this vein.

3) Kine are a long haired oxen raised in the Highlands of Scotland

4) Goblins are cool. Prepare for them to be a major force in the story when steel is being drawn. Right now everyone is dancing around looking for the best partner and the best spot. The storm is coming.

-->