Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 20: Sedition

"If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any clearly written constitutional right, it might, in a moral point of view, justify revolution - certainly would if such a right were a vital one."

Abraham Lincoln, First Inaugural Address March 4, 1861

******Hogwarts, Great Hall 0730 22 November, 1995******

The aftermath of the battle had oddly mixed results. The Daily Prophet had covered the battle like any other responsible media outlet ought and afterward there was a veritable storm of owls in comment. The articles had very factually described the valor and loss of the Goblins and the House Elves, the Hogwarts staff and the Sixth and Seventh Year students' participation. There was talk of awarding the Order of Merlin for many of the participants in the battle. After reading it, Harry had commented to Hermione "That's the most accurate and fair article I've ever read in this paper." Shaking his head in amusement, he said "Miracles never cease."

The owls had come bringing praise for all the defenders, lamentation that the government had to rely on beasts to protect their youth, calls for Harry to be the Minister, hopeful speculation that Hermione was really single after all and so on. The last letter had really made Hermione blush, "I am most definitely married." In an undertone, she said "Honestly" as she walked away.

This morning, the staff and students were quietly eating their breakfast as the Potters shared the paper. Hermione started with the front page, while Harry read the sports page and comics first. Harry was reading up on the charity ball that they had attended the evening before. The site for the ball had been moved to the Ministry facilities for security purposes and it had been a hit. The cream of Wizarding society had shown up and Sirius had been in his element. With Loreena keeping him in line, he had reveled in the attention and been a superb host, making pleasant conversation with the pillars of society. Due to his incarceration, he never had really attended functions like this before, so he and Loreena were doing a lot of "seeing and being seen."

Harry and Hermione were doing quite a bit of the same. They had danced most of the night away and thoroughly enjoyed being out in public with one another, something they had not had much opportunity to do as of yet. At one point Harry had looked down at his wife in his arms. Do you ever regret it? At her confused expression, he continued. Regret sacrificing our later teens to become well honed killing machines? Sacrificing dates and the cinema for Animagus training and sword fighting?

She smiled at him which surprised him a bit. Silly man, I got you. What more could I want? All that other stuff isn't us. We are the chosen couple and as such, we wouldn't be who we are if we did all those other things. Like it or not, we are not normal.

Pulling her close to him for an impromptu Tango, he dipped her and kissed her deeply at the bottom. Thank you, I love you.

As he read the article about the ball, Harry smiled. I actually had quite a bit of fun last night. The dancing was fantastic, seeing Sirius and Loreena behaving all formally, well, we haven't seen that since their wedding. It's like night and day for them. They're usually so playful, but they were very pleasantly formal last night. I even enjoyed the conversation. I didn't ever think that I'd meet people I liked at an event like that, but I did.

Hermione nodded into her coffee. Tea never really cut it for her or Harry in the morning and she was barely human until she had at least two cups in her. I had fun, too. Although that Agnew man was a pig. Choler Agnew had been three quarters smashed when he and his seemingly crocodilian wife arrived. He had made quite a few off color remarks rather loudly until Sirius had escorted him from the hall in a very friendly manner, then stunned the man and laid him down in a small office nearby.

Harry smiled to himself as he checked the Quidditch scores. Good, the Catapults won yesterday. Pretty big spread, too. A thought occurred to him and he looked to his left and caught Hermione's eye. You looked smashing in your dress last night. Actually, I think I'd have to say you were incredibly sexy.

Hermione smirked and had a slight blush. I would have never known. I mean you only ripped it off me as soon as we got back to the Manor last night. I can't even repair it magically.

It was Harry's turn to blush. What can I say, I'm married to one of the most beautiful and sexy women in Britain. I'm not responsible for my actions around you. I just can't seem to control myself. He reached out and kissed the back of her hand tenderly.

She shook her head in amusement. What did you think of how Sirius and Loreena very casually had over half the attendees be muggleborn or half-bloods?

Very slick move on their part. Since he's a Duke and she's HRH, no one in their right mind was going to complain or risk being shut out of any other fete that they hold in the future. Sirius said they are going to open up their house in Bath and begin to entertain there. Live at the Manor, but entertain at Bath.

Hermione nodded and turned the page of the paper. After a few minutes of reading, she turned to Harry. Is it just me or is Riddle being exceptionally quiet. McGrath says there is very little muggle hunting going on, and he's done nothing in the magical world.

Harry nodded in agreement. I don't know. Last time he got quiet for an extended period he attacked here. Whatever he's planning or massing for, I am sure that I won't like it.

Hermione nodded and they switched sections of the paper. At this point Dumbledore hobbled over to them. He had been released from the Infirmary only yesterday and was still weak. The aged Headmaster was working from his bedchamber and did more sleeping than working. Given his extensive injuries and advanced age, no one complained.

The Headmaster leaned over between Harry and Hermione's heads and said in a low voice "I have a letter from Monsieur Duvail. After you are finished, please bring the McGonagalls and Filius up to my office so we can discuss it."

Harry nodded and looked at his wife with raised eyebrows and sighed. Hopefully there was good news.

******Hogwarts, Headmaster's Office 0815 22 November, 1995******

The Headmaster was sitting behind his desk reading a letter when the trusted group assembled in his office. After they had all settled in their own chairs, he looked up from the letter and with a quick wave of his wand, duplicated it so all could read it at their leisure. After a few minutes, he said "As you all see, Monsieur Duvail was successful in finding a detection spell for this anchor that Voldemort has used to hold his soul in our plane of existence." Hermione shook her head as she re-read the missive for the third time, while Minerva and Filius had a small scowl on their faces. Jamie and Harry were impassive.

Looking at his staff, the Headmaster continued "However, the incantation and wand movement for the detection spell make this roughly a thirty second process, and the spell's effective range is only three feet." Even Dumbledore looked to be a bit put out at this information.

With a bit of a scowl, Hermione said "I am thankful that we now have a detection spell to use. I was beginning to think that we were going to have to start destroying half the castle. Still, it's going to be quite drudgery." Filius, Jamie and Harry all nodded in agreement and muttering a bit.

Minerva glared at the others and said "Well, if you are all done whinging, maybe we can get down to work." She stood and conjured a map of Hogwarts, while the others, chastened now, paid attention and took their assigned search sectors meekly. Even Dumbledore got a section, the dungeons.

Jamie was last and after receiving his assignment, he popped to his feet and said "Yes, Deputy Headmistress!" with false enthusiasm. When Minerva gave him a jaundiced eye, he smiled jauntily at her, whistled an old Scots tune, and began to walk out. He stopped as he went by and gave her a quick pat on the bum saying "I love it when you're bossy lass" and walked out to chuckles from the rest of the group.

******Minister's Office, Ministry of Magic 0730 26 November, 1995*****

Kingsley finished his briefing for Connie and Amelia regarding the Auror Corps and DMLE officer Corps. The two Corps were currently at their highest active duty roster levels since the 1940's, but the average time of active service was a very low 4.6 years. They had tried quite a few innovative ideas. Using the Time turners to accelerate graduation times for Aurors had been inspired and the entire evolution was being written up to be added to the Auror Training Manual to be used in times of necessity. Times like now.

Connie and Shack had been picking the minds of experienced retired Aurors and as a result, the official mentorship program had been established. Senior Aurors and DMLE officers with specialized knowledge, experience and overall excellence were rotated through the teams in order to accelerate the growth of the Corps knowledge base faster than simple experience would allow. They'd brought Marcus and Sofia in to show the Aurors that they weren't as bad-ass as they thought they were. When Senior Auror Murphy, four time winner of the intramural DMLE Dueling competition was put down in less than ten seconds in front of the entire Corps by Sofia who had merely said to the man prior to starting "Use your wand if it makes you feel more masculine, it makes no difference to me." People tended to take extra instruction a bit more seriously after that display.

One issue that no one could get around was the peacetime restrictions that were placed on the whole of the DMLE. When the DMLE was working under wartime rules, regulations and law; the Auror Corps became the military branch of the Ministry for Magic, while the DMLE Officers filled all roles for law enforcement. When the Auror Corps was functioning as an Army, the operational restrictions on types of targets, methods of engagement and employment, even parchment work rules were radically altered, allowing the Auror Corps to focus on warfighting. As it stood under peacetime law, the Ministry was very much handcuffed. However, only the Wizengamot could issue a war declaration.

Amelia sighed heavily. "We're losing ground in the Wizengamot. Blackthorne is a man possessed and his sole purpose in life seems to be obstructing and blocking us at every turn." She shook her red locks and said "Henry has and continues to work miracles, but we are still losing votes in ones and twos. There is no way we will get a Proclamation of War now."

At the widened eyes of her subordinates, Amelia chuckled "The Government will not fall any time soon, don't worry about that. Just because many of the Members do not see eye to eye with us, doesn't mean they will topple a functioning government any time soon." She laughed outright and said "Especially when Potter owns the Prophet."

The three of them chuckled for a few moments when Connie spoke up. "How's the joint training with the SAS and Paras going, Shack?"

Kingsley sipped his tea and said "It's going well. We've hammered out a communications plan and are developing new tactics to leverage both our strengths while attempting to cover our weaknesses." He smiled and said "There have been some interesting conversations with Colonel Richfield and his men." At the raised eyebrow of his superior he elaborated "The Colonel has an amazing capacity for…invective" causing laughter to ring out again in the room.

"We have an exercise scheduled for next week in Cornwall on the British Army's live fire range. If you'd like, we can all observe. The two units will be assaulting a simulated Death Eater held office building" Shack explained.

Amelia flipped through her desk calendar and said "Thursday next?" Shack nodded and she scribbled on her desk calendar "I'll be there. Next week let me know the details of when, where and so on."

The Head Auror made a note on his pad and said "I'll let the Colonel know and he will probably have MoD personnel if not the Prime Minister there as well."

******Hogwarts, Transfiguration Classroom 0950 06 December, 1995******

Hermione watched the Third Year students walk out of Transfiguration #3 with a sense of satisfaction. They'd covered the basics of the first Universal law of Transfiguration today and while it made some of her Ravenclaw and Slytherin students stretch their minds, she felt that they all walked out of the room with a good understanding of the concept. It's amazing how satisfying teaching can be.

At that moment her husband silently apparated into the room. Yes, it is very satisfying. However, the paperwork is less than pleasant. With a slight smile on his face he sauntered up to his spouse and gave her a small kiss. So, it went well?

Yes, I think it did. We got off topic and somehow ended up discussing Animagi. Then, little Francis Driscoll, I swear that boy would be blown away in a stiff wind. Well, he stuck his hand up and asked if I would show them my Animagus form.

Harry stiffened in shock, but then sighed in resignation. Didn't think of that did we? Transforming for the whole school to see and then fighting on the lawn as Ghosteyes and Raksha wasn't a good way to keep the secret.

Hermione nodded her head and took Harry's hand. That's what I thought too, so I transformed into Raksha and gave them a five minute overview of the process and about Dire Wolves. A couple of the students mentioned you, so I figured it wouldn't do any harm to explain Ghosteyes. Here her smile became a little sultry and her free hand began to work its way under his shirt. I explained how a couple can have linked forms.

Harry's breath hitched a little and pulled her close. Really. Slowly, he began to kiss his way down her neck, starting behind her left ear. What else did you tell them?

Hermione's breath began to quicken and she smiled. Well, I told them that you're fantastic in bed.

By now Harry was kissing her décolletage and she let out a little moan. Mm-hmm. Wait. His head snapped up and Hermione began to laugh. Harry mock-growled and smiled at her. Oh really. Let's just see about that. She let out a playful shriek and he began to chase her around the classroom as they laughed and carried on like children. Finally, he `caught' her and she laced her arms around his neck saying aloud "I love you man of mine." Harry kissed her tenderly and was about to reply when the door to the classroom opened.

Harry and Hermione sprang apart like teenagers caught by their parents as Ron Weasley entered the room with a tatty satchel over his shoulder. The ginger haired teen opened his eyes wide and stopped short, grasping what he'd just walked in on. He looked anywhere but at the Professors and said "I-I'm sorry, I'll wait outside" and turned to go.

Harry raised his eyebrows at his wife in query and she said "You don't need to go Ron." When the youngest male Weasley turned back and headed to his seat, Hermione said "How's Ginny doing Ron?"

Ron sighed and set his bag down next to his chair. Turning to the couple he said "Not too well. The Healers aren't really sure what is wrong, so they keep trying different things, hoping one will eventually work." Looking down with an expression of sadness he said "I don't get to see her much. Neither do Mum and Dad."

Hermione walked over and rubbed his back a little saying "I'm so sorry that this happened, Ron. How are your Mum and Dad, are they Ok?"

Ron waved his hands in an `I don't know' expression and sniffed. Hermione and Harry were surprised to see tears in the young man's eyes. "Mum is doing badly with the whole thing. She cried for the first week almost nonstop. Now, she sees a mind healer every other week and is on a potion regimen. It seems to help a little, at least she isn't sobbing all the time.

"Dad, well his hair is almost all grey now and he walks around like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Bill has been great, stepping up and helping the family. Charlie's all healed now and is helping around the house. Percy's a prat." Ron wiped his face with his hands while Harry and Hermione turned away to give him a private moment to compose himself.

When the young Weasley cleared his throat, they turned back and Harry said "What's Percy doing that's so prat-ish?"

Ron chuckled humorlessly "He went and yelled at Mum and Dad saying this was all their fault. That they'd spoiled Ginny and filled her head with all kinds of nonsense and this is the result." Hermione's eyes widened while Harry just shook his head.

Ron jabbed his hand in the air saying "The thing is, that there's a lot of truth in what the wanker said, but you know what" here he looked at his old friends "You don't have to say it. It's like rubbing it in. Doesn't he know that's all Mum and Dad think about all day. Even I can tell that they feel incredibly guilty. I mean, I heard Dad crying on Bill's shoulder last weekend when I was at home. I've never heard Dad cry!"

Ron shook his head in his frustration, opened his mouth a few times, but the words weren't there. Hermione rubbed his back for a moment and then the door opened and the rest of the Gryffindor and Slytherin Fifth Years came in for their Transfiguration class. Minerva followed at a sedate pace and Harry and Hermione started to make their way out.

To his left Harry heard a familiar voice say "Lord Gryffindor, may I have a moment of your time?" Harry turned and saw Draco Malfoy, considered and then nodded to the hallway.

The three of them left the classroom and Harry said "Mr. Malfoy, how can I help you today?"

Draco winced at that. He didn't like the fact that he needed Potter, much less that he had to scrape before him. "My Lord, I have heard nothing regarding my mother and was hoping you might have news of her welfare" he said with more civility than anyone ever expected from young Malfoy.

Harry raised an eyebrow at that. That's not like Sirius. Did you ever hear if he picked up Narcissa and where she is now? Hermione shook her head and Harry said "I'm sorry Mr. Malfoy, I am unaware of your mother's status. However, I am seeing his Grace this evening and will ask for you. You will hear from me tomorrow."

It was now Malfoy's turn to be surprised. With sincere thanks he said "Thank you my Lord, I am very grateful" sketched a short bow and excused himself back to class.

******Ministry of Magic, Wizengamot Chambers 1400 06 December, 1995******

Harry sat in his Wizengamot seat next to the Chief Warlock. He'd made a point of attending every session in his best head of House robes with the Danio Tymestl at his side and the badges of his knighthoods on his chest. Today, Lord Blackthorne had stopped him, in a polite manner, and asked what the badges on his chest represented.

"These badges indicate the Orders of Chivalry into which I have been inducted, Lord Blackthorne. The Order of the Red Dragon by His Majesty King Rhodri of Avalon" he indicated the higher of the two medallions, "and the Order of the Bath by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland" Harry said in his most polite yet distant tone. He didn't particularly care if Blackthorne knew about his knighthoods, the information was innocuous. But his purpose in telling the man loudly was that by announcing it in chambers like this, everyone heard. A little bit of public relations to help the cause of the light never did anyone any harm. Nonetheless, despite the man's politeness, Harry did not trust Blackthorne and wanted to keep him at arms length.

Blackthorne nodded thoughtfully and then gave Harry an icy smile "Thank you for the information Lord Potter" and turned to walk away.

"Gryffindor" said Harry quickly and loudly enough to draw attention of the members who were milling about prior to the session.

Blackthorne turned with a confused expression on his face that was most likely feigned "I'm sorry, sir, I don't understand your non-sequitur."

Harry looked the man in the eyes, emerald green boring into the man's pale blue. "I am, sir, Earl Gryffindor and as such it would be good if you would address me as such."

Blackthorne smirked and said in an undertone "Muggle title."

Harry smirked in return and said loud enough to carry throughout the room "You would denigrate a title granted by King Arthur himself to his half-brother, Godric of Gryffindor? My ancestor?"

By now the entire crowd was muttering and paying close attention to the exchange. People crowded around and jostled like they were watching an informal gladiator match. This was a blood sport, just of a different kind.

When Harry mentioned Arthur, the murmuring of the crowd grew loud for a moment or two while the masses digested that tidbit. Harry could almost imagine the crowd exchanging money due to bets. It had been in the Prophet back in July that Harry was the blood heir of both Godric Gryffindor and Rowena Ravenclaw, but it seems that for good news, people tended not to believe the media. Blackthorne did not know it, but he was helping raise Harry's estimation in the pureblood block quite a bit by baiting the young peer and putting Harry's lineage on public display.

Now, the assemblage was winding up its session with two trials expedited (a thief and a rapist, both found guilty and both sent to Azkaban). Harry had his sword across his lap and was getting ready to stand and beat the crowd out the door when Dolores Umbridge stood for the Malfoy seat.

"My Lords and Ladies, Members and proxy-Members" she began in her sickly sweet simpering voice. Harry had only spoken to the woman once, rather, she had spoken about him, and he loathed her already. "It has come to my attention, that our glorious Auror force has been forced into an unseemly connection." Harry frowned at this and glanced at Dumbledore on his left. The old man was still a bit shaky after the attack on the school, this was his first session back after all, but the defeater of Grindlewald stood tall and was frowning at Umbridge's statements just as Harry was frowning.

The toad like woman continued "It appears that the Director of Magical Law Enforcement has had our elite magical forces exercising with…muggles" she spat out at the end. Her face now contorted in disgust she continued "Apparently, our highly trained and specialized Auror force has been subjugated by the government into working with organizations called the `Special Air Service' and the `Parachute Regiment'." She added in a mocking undertone that all could hear "Sound like delivery services."

She gathered her thick, squat, toad-like body in, what she considered a dignified stance. Everyone else looked at her askance, wondering if she might rip her robes at the seams. "It is unseemly for our dedicated, highly trained forces to be mixing with muggle organizations in such a manner. It leads me to wonder what other mixing has occurred with the muggle government. What authority has the government ceded to the muggles, what information about our society has been stolen by muggles." Every time the venomous woman said `muggle', it was as if she was spitting the word out, to clear her mouth of a distasteful substance. "This could easily be the beginning of the slippery slope that leads to subjugation of our society, our very way of life to the muggle hordes!"

She was no orator, not by any stretch of the imagination, but she was pushing all the right buttons. Since the Inquisition and the Witch-hunts in the Sixteenth, Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, Wizarding society had been terrified of the next round of persecution from the non-magical world. The fact that any level of cooperation between the DMLE and their non-magical counterparts was only that; cooperation, was irrelevant in the face of deep seated fears that had been held, fanned and fed for centuries. Quite a few senior, influential Members shifted nervously in their seats as Umbridge's words struck home.

The proxy Member for the Lestrange seat, Choler Agnew, stood and shouted "Enough! I demand a vote to ban the government from dealing with the muggles in any way!"

Now Harry was alarmed and stood instantly before he had even formulated his thoughts. He didn't wait for the furor to die down and motioned to Dumbledore to recognize him for the record. After Dumbledore had called out in a magically enhanced voice "My Lord Gryffindor has the floor" which effectively neutered Agnew's attempt to call for a vote. No one could second the motion while Harry had the floor.

"My Lords and Ladies, Members and proxy-Members" began Harry. He was incredibly nervous, but was running through his mediation exercises and they calmed his exterior at least. "Proxy-Member Umbridge brings up an interesting situation. It is evident that the Wizengamot is unaware of the victory" here he turned to stare at Umbridge "at Malfoy Manor in which the Special Air Service played such a pivotal role, killing over eighty percent of the human opponents that evening. Formidable warriors they are indeed." Harry continued in a placating, soothing tone as best he could. "Obviously, the DMLE is remiss in briefing our august body on the details of the battle, as well as, the exact level of cooperation that is ongoing with the muggle government." If he could project someone to be wrong, even just seemingly wrong, then most of the indignation of many of the members will be satisfied, at least temporarily. "It is my understanding that there is merely exchange of information about the Death Eaters and Lord Voldemort, as well as, some coordination exercises in case of emergency." Harry smiled inwardly as three quarters of the assemblage flinched and most of the rest yelped in some way at the Dark Lord's moniker.

Half turning to Dumbledore, Harry said "Chief Warlock, is there time available in our next session to have a briefing from Director Hammer or her designate?"

Dumbledore feigned flipping through a book and then said after a minute "Yes, my Lord, there is time for a one hour briefing."

Harry clapped his hands together in mock enthusiasm and said "Excellent!" Looking at Umbridge, but really addressing the fence sitting purebloods, he continued "Hopefully, when we all have facts and not hearsay, we can put proxy-Member Umbridge's fears to rest." Harry kept stressing proxy in an attempt to use the purebloods snobbish sensibilities against the Death Eaters for once.

He sat down quickly, as if the matter had been put to rest. Just as his bum hit his seat, Dumbledore's voice rang out "I call this session of the Wizengamot to a close" and banged his gavel.

Harry exhaled heavily and turned to see Dumbledore smiling broadly at him, the twinkle in his eye sparkling like a diamond. "Well done, Harry. Well done indeed."

Harry smiled in return "I need to find Sirius and Hermione and head over to his place. I should be back at school tomorrow morning." Dumbledore nodded his understanding and slowly stood with assistance from Harry. Grabbing a cane he was using, Dumbledore waved Harry off so he could go find his Godfather and wife.

******Black Manor, London 1600 06 December, 1995******

Harry had met up with Hermione in the Atrium, but they had missed Sirius, so they apparated back to the Manor to catch up with him. Walking into the foyer Harry called out "Padfoot! Where are you?"

From the lounge they heard the answering call to which the Potters made their way. Walking in, Harry said "Sirius, need to talk to you."

Sirius was sitting on the sofa next to Loreena, an open book spread across their laps. He crooked an eyebrow at his Godson and said "Sit down, we have news for you" and looked at his wife. Getting a nod, he waited while Harry and Hermione sat on a settee opposite them.

Hermione looked back and forth between her two best friends after her husband. She looked at their expressions, then peeked down at the book in their laps and let out a squeal before leaping off her seat and enveloping Loreena in a hug. The two women laughed and hugged for a minute while Harry looked to Sirius for some kind of explanation.

Sirius shrugged at the female exhibition in front of him and said to Harry, "Loreena's pregnant."

Now it was Harry's turn to bound to his feet, a broad smile plastered on his face. He wrapped his Godfather in a big hug saying "Ah Sirius, this is great!" The group broke up into gender based conversations with a babble going up when Dan and Emma came in the room. The good news was repeated and now Dan was calling for Dobby to break out Champagne. Suddenly, there was an impromptu party with Remus and Connie joining eventually.

Remus embraced Sirius tightly and shook him a bit in the bear hug. He said quietly into his childhood friends ear "I'm so happy for you my friend, you deserve all of this and more."

Sirius pulled back, a little teary and said so that only Remus could hear him "So do you, mate." His eyes flickering over to Connie who was talking with Loreena, he continued "Ask her, Remus. She's yours as much as you are hers. Ask her."

Remus nodded, a bit too emotional to respond. After a moment, Sirius said "Hey, Loreena and I talked about it, would you be the sprog's Godfather?"

Remus eyed his old friend warmly and said softly, "I'd love to. Thank you my friend."

The impromptu party continued and got a little louder after Harry summoned Hedwig and dispatched her with a note for Jamie and Minerva who flamed back with Hedwig a few minutes later.

Harry grabbed the new father-to-be and pulled him into the corner. "Hey, Draco Malfoy asked me about his mum, said he'd heard nothing since you two last talked. What's going on with her?"

Sirius smacked himself in the forehead "Ah, shit, I forgot to owl the little pewler." Looking at Harry he said "I picked her up the next day after we talked. I've got her in a cottage in Cornwall under the Fidelius." He sighed heavily "Screwed that up. Been so excited about the baby that it went clear out of my head." Nodding, he turned to Harry and said "I'll come up to school tomorrow and tell him personally with my apologies. Give me a mirror call about when would be a good time and I'll be there."

Harry nodded. After a moment of thought he said "Are you going to let him visit her over the hols?"

Sirius pursed his lips and thought for a second. "Kind of shitty if I don't let them have Christmas together." Another few moments and he looked at Harry and said "I can't think of a reason to keep them apart, can you?"

Harry waved Hermione over and said "No, I can't. Let's ask the brains of the operation though."

After filling Hermione in on the situation, she thought for a minute and said "Well, it's not a security issue for him to visit her. Check him and his belongings for homing charms and give him a portkey and he's clean." She paused and then looked at Sirius carefully saying "She's your cousin, right?" Sirius nodded and Hermione said "Have you considered inviting them here for Christmas?"

At the wide eyes of her husband and his Godfather, she said "I'm not suggesting telling her the secret. Take their wands and give them a portkey. She will probably know she's at Black Manor, but nothing beyond that. They won't learn anything of import. Let's see" and she tapped her chin sarcastically. "They'd learn that Harry and I are married" nodded to Sirius who was beginning to grin "same for you and Loreena. They'd learn that you look really funny when you first wake up and that I can kick your butt in one on one with a sword. Other than that, which the whole world already knows, who cares?" Sirius looked at her skeptically and Hermione nodded in resignation "Look, it's Christmas. I don't really believe their story about breaking from Lucius, but if it's true, this has to be a lonely holiday. Think about it."

Sirius nodded and said "I'll talk to Loreena about it and see what she thinks." He gestured with his hand and said "Look, even though she's family, Narcissa is not a nice person. At all. Never has been and I seriously doubt she ever will be a nice person."

Hermione shrugged and said "I understand completely, think about it from their perspective though. Talk to the smarter half of your marriage" she said with a smile.

At this, she hooked her arm through her husbands and steered him back into the press, she wanted to talk to her mum about throwing a baby shower for her friend.

******Hogwarts, Potter suite, 1900 10 December, 1995******

Hermione snuggled into her husband's arms as they relaxed on the couch in their suite after a long day. How did it go with the Fourth Years today? Summoning charm right?

Harry ran his fingers through Hermione's hair. He'd found out when they first started dating that she loved it when he did this. The extra bonus was to lightly drag his fingernails across her scalp, he swore she started purring the first time he did it. Class went well. I'm beginning to find that if I can relate some of my pitfalls of unsuccessfully performing the charm, then they seem to have an easier time with it. About half the class had pillows at least twitching by the end of class. I figure by the end of the week they'll have it down.

Hermione smiled into Harry's chest and squeezed him slightly. You love teaching, don't you?

He canted his head to one side, pondering. Yeah, I really am loving it. Shaking his head he continued. I don't think I want to do this for the rest of my life. I don't have a passion for it like Minerva or Filius, but I do enjoy it.

Running her hand up and down his arm, Hermione nodded in agreement. Same here, I love learning more than education.

A few minutes later which was occupied by more cuddling and some kisses, Hermione turned on the wireless and they settled back to listen to the music. How's mum doing in class, I haven't talked to her in a bit, our schedules keep us missing. Harry was still feeling a bit overprotective of his mother in law.

Hermione smiled. Emma had quickly become `Mum' to Harry after their engagement and he treated her like a queen. It was obvious that he loved his mother-in-law and on more than one occasion Hermione and her mother had long talks about Harry's upbringing, how he lacked a healthy female relationship and that it was up to them to make the extra effort to help their man. Harry had indeed won his mother-in-law's heart. She doted on him and loved him in the little ways that he had never experienced. Harry had responded at first like a man in the desert to water. His strong emotional reactions to seemingly inconsequential `mothering' puzzled Emma. A rub on the back, a quick kiss before he and Hermione went on a walk, taking the time to get to know him, asking what his favorite things were and so on. Talking with Hermione she had asked "Didn't Molly Weasley mother him some before your Third Year and Fourth Year?"

Hermione rolled her eyes and said "No, Molly smothered him with direction and food. You show him that you truly do care for him as a person, and it shocks him every time." Hermione shot her mum a devilish grin and said "I think I may not always be his best girl. I'm a little jealous."

Emma had laughed and swatted her daughter in the shoulder but would ruefully remember these conversations until her dying day.

Hermione turned so that she was laying back on Harry's chest and he shifted so she was between his legs. We chatted a bit today. Since poster boy for the criminally stupid pulled his wand on her in class, things have been smooth sailing. She's really excited about her teaching. She's getting comfortable in the role and as she gets more experience she comes up with new ideas. Today she was running on and on about how she's going to include a two week chemistry overview in First Year potions to discuss the periodic table and other basic concepts. She grinned at the recollection. I think Mum has a passion for teaching.

Harry nodded and nuzzled her hair. Sounds like. He then let out a big sigh.

Hermione frowned as she could feel the frustration flowing off her husband in waves. Taking his left hand in hers she stroked it a few times then massaged the meaty area between his thumb and first finger. He groaned in response and she smiled. Are you going to tell me what's bothering you, or do I have to guess.

Harry half chuckled and said aloud "The Wizengamot. We're losing traction and losing votes. Henry is working hard, doing everything he can and has enlisted Sirius as well. Between the two of them, they are pressing hard with the fence sitters, but with Blackthorne's oratory and Voldemorts threats and blackmail, we're losing ground. I wanted to get involved too, but Henry and Albus seem to think that I'm too polarizing right now, and might do more harm than good. We're stuck without a Proclamation of War. The Malfoy Manor operation was borderline illegal for the DMLE officers to participate. If the Harpies and Nundu hadn't been there, there would have been some bad news out of it."

Hermione listened and cogitated. We need the Wizengamot to Proclaim a State of War, but they won't. Can anyone else… Suddenly, she shot up from the sofa and grabbed her robes. Pulling them on over her jeans and jumper, she turned to Harry with a big grin and said "The Council of Barons!" and started to run out of the room. She doubled back, kissed him soundly and ran out shouting "I love you, I'll be in the library!" leaving an extremely confused Harry Potter sitting on his sofa.

******Minister's Office, Ministry of Magic 0730 11 December, 1995*****

Harry, Hermione and Albus Dumbledore walked down the hallway of the Executive Suite toward the Minister's office. Hermione was to brief Amelia in ten minutes regarding her discovery of the evening before. After being in the library only thirty minutes, she came back to their suite and said "We need to see Dumbledore and talk to the Minister. Tomorrow morning would be good." When she had explained to Dumbledore, he had written a short note and sent Fawkes on his way saying to the Potters, "You will brief Amelia tomorrow morning. Be here at 0730."

After being shown into the office, they all took their seats, Hermione setting her backup material on a conjured table and everyone waiting on Dumbledore. The aged Headmaster prompted Hermione and she began her tale of discovery. "Last night Harry was telling me about some of the frustrations you all have been having in the Wizengamot." This statement received a short nod from the Minister. "Well, I was thinking, that it was too bad that only the Wizengamot could Proclaim War, then I had to check some facts, and I think I am correct." She paused to gather her thoughts. "When the Council of Barons formed in 1215 to force King John to sign what became Magna Carta in July of that year, the three magical peers refused to be a part of what they deemed `treasonous activity.' These peers were Baron Black, Baron Fraser and Earl Gryffindor. They even swore on their magic that they repudiated all actions taken by the rest of the council and walked out of the planning proceedings."

Now Amelia's eyebrows were threatening to fly off her forehead Hermione gave her a small smile and said "That was my reaction as well. Before the signing of Magna Carta, the King was effectively an Autocrat. His word was law. He could exercise direct control over the entire realm down to the lowest serf. He usually didn't, because he needed the Barony to be stable for a myriad of reasons. Anyway," she said correcting from the digression, "There were only three magical peers at that time, and as such, they spoke for magical England to the King. Remember, Arthur had only retreated to Avalon just over one hundred years before, and some of the elders of magical England remembered his rule. The King was their Liege Lord."

Amelia waved her hand "Hold on. Are you saying that magical Britain is still technically under the direct rule of the Sovereign?" A few heartbeats later, she breathed "The Wizengamot is illegal?"

Hermione paused for a moment, thinking. "I don't know about illegal, I do believe that the Queen can give the Wizengamot a binding order, though."

Amelia sat there, thunderstruck. After a few moments, she found her voice and said "How do we confirm this?"

Hermione indicated the dozen books she had shrunk and brought from the Hogwarts library. "These are my source materials; I assume you will want to have your own Solicitors check out the facts?"

Amelia nodded a preoccupied look on her face. After a few moments, she started to smile. Then she chuckled and finally she let out a full-throated laugh. Shaking her head while she laughed she said "Thank you very much my Lady. Oh, my. I did not expect this news this morning."

Albus said "We will have to brief the Queen, and soon by my estimation." Amelia nodded in return and turned to face Hermione with a look of expectation on her face.

After a long moment of silence and a confused look on Hermione's face, Harry started to laugh and Hermione said "Oh. Well. Sure, I'll brief her." After a moment, she added "As far as the magical peers are concerned. Well, the Fraser title is currently extinct, and we all know the current instantiations of Black and Gryffindor. I'm not sure what the role of Baron Black and Earl Gryffindor will be or rather should be in my understanding of the governmental structure. I can see them being senior advisors to the Sovereign, acting as Governors in the Magical realm, or merely senior members of the magical governing body, which they already are. It may be that the Queen needs to make the decision with the input of her councilors, mainly the Minister for Magic" and she nodded to Amelia, "her Chief Warlock" and she looked to Dumbledore "and of course from the principals themselves" and she looked to her husband.

Amelia nodded "Give my Solicitors a few days to comb through your references" and she waved at the table covered in thick tomes. "I don't doubt that you feel sure of yourself, but it's best to double and treble check oneself before making an ass of yourself in front of Queen and country" she smiled taking the sting out of the statement. "I'll let you all know when we will see Her Majesty. Let Black know, will you? He will also need to be there as well." At this obvious dismissal, they all stood, Dumbledore taking a portkey back to his office as he had a pressing ICW concern he had to deal with.

Harry and Hermione ambled down the hall, holding hands. You did really well in there you know that, right?

Hermione shrugged. I guess so. It wasn't a big deal.

Harry rolled his eyes in exasperation. No, it wasn't a big deal. It was a huge deal. You condensed over one thousand pages of English history into ten minutes and made it understandable even to me. Take credit where credit is due. You are and incredibly smart, sexy, genius. He finished the last sentence with a hint of a smile.

She blushed lightly. If you say so, love. Shall we head over to see Sirius and Loreena?

Harry looked at his watch it was nearly eight AM. They might be up. Well, Loreena might be up. He looked askance at his wife with a hint of fear. She isn't having morning sickness, is she?

Hermione laughed softly at the male-ness of her husband. Not too bad. She said she's over the worst of it already. It's safe to go over.

Harry laughed at himself and shook his head, hoping that his day would come when Hermione would be in that position. Seeing her look at him strangely, he turned to her. I don't want to see you all nauseous and what not. I just look forward to us and the babies we've talked about.

Smiling, she hooked her arm through his and they walked to the atrium so they could surprise their friends.

******Balmoral Castle, Scotland 1030 16 December, 1995******

The simple briefing that had been mentioned had grown to include the Prince of Wales, the Prime Minister, the Home Secretary, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Minister for Magic, the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, the Duke of Redfields and Earl and Countess Gryffindor in the Queen's study. The Duke of Edinburgh had joined them shortly after Hermione stood to begin and motioned for her to continue as he took a seat next to his wife.

The Queen sat back in her chair, absorbing the information presented to her. She looked to the Prime Minister for an opinion. He said "Ma'am, we've looked over Lady Gryffindor's sources and her conclusions appear sound at this time. The magical Solicitors believe that the oaths made by the three magical peers in 1215 are still binding, and as such, you are still the Liege Lord of Magical Britain, bypassing Parliament and the Wizengamot."

Amelia spoke up "Ma'am, the practical aspects of this situation are hardly simple and straightforward, as I'm sure you are aware. On a practical basis, the Wizarding world maintains a strict secrecy from the world at large for reasons that we have discussed" and the Queen nodded in affirmation. At first, she disagreed, but when discussing the history of persecution and how not much had really changed in today's society, she reluctantly agreed that the Statute of Secrecy was a good thing. "However" Amelia said, bringing everyone back to the issue at hand "the question before me as your Minister for Magic" and Hermione smiled at the phrasing "is how do we correct what has become an inappropriate severing of magical Britain from the Sovereign."

The Queen looked Amelia in the eye and then Dumbledore. She waited a full thirty seconds, in contemplation and then queried "So neither of you contest, or will fight to maintain magical `home rule'? I will not have the Troubles revisited any worse than they are right now."

Dumbledore returned her gaze placidly and said "Ma'am, it doesn't matter what we want. Magic will have its due. The oaths that were sworn so long ago were very powerful." Sitting up straighter, he assumed his professorial tone and stance and continued "In that day and age it was not unusual for tenants and freeholders to magically swear allegiance to their immediate Liege Lord. Because of that, the three peers mentioned were not only swearing for themselves, but for most, if not all of magical Britain. Gryffindor for the Welsh, Black for the English and Fraser for the Scots. The bulk of magical Britons had fled to Avalon just after the Conquest, so the numbers of magical persons on the island were easily managed by the three Lords."

Waving his hand, Dumbledore continued his impromptu lesson as if he were teaching a Sixth Year Transfiguration class "Since Gryffindor, Black and Fraser repudiated the process that resulted in Magna Carta, the magical oaths override the law that resulted there from, at least for magical Britons. You could enter the Wizengamot chambers and order the assemblage to dissolve and the Members could object all they want, but when the gavel of the Chief Warlock closed the session, they would be compelled to obey. Despite their objections for whatever reason, the oaths would compel obedience. Magic must have its due."

All present shuddered a bit at the power and long arm of the magical oath. Dumbledore smiled and said "You all see why we take oaths so very seriously in our society."

The Queen nodded soberly and wryly commented, "Non-magical persons take their oaths seriously as well, Chief Warlock, but I understand your meaning." After a moment, she said "Options. Where do we go from here" and looked to the Prime Minister.

"Ma'am, Minister Bones and I have had long discussion on this topic the last two days and have come to realize that we need to make very deliberate moves here that can and will be acceptable both to the magical government and magical populace as a whole."

Amelia nodded "Indeed, this planning could make or break the entire effort. The short answer to the solution of our situation is that the magical ministry could become a covert ministry within Your Majesty's government, reporting to the Prime Minister; it could become a second government that reports directly to Yourself running parallel to Your Majesty's government or we could maintain the status quo. Obviously there are derivations and mixings of the above, but that is the long and short of it."

Hermione looked thoughtful and said "Or we could have an entirely new structure of government."

The Queen looked around the table where they were all seated and caught Harry and Sirius' eye saying "Your Grace, my Lord Gryffindor you, or rather your ancestors, are central to the issue; your thoughts?"

Sirius said "Ma'am, due to the nature of the situation, Gryffindor and I will need to be involved in the planning and probably the execution of our effort. The oaths of our forefathers will compel us in the end and it is much easier for us to get involved up front."

Harry nodded "Yes ma'am, we are both Senior Members of the Wizengamot on top of our other roles, so we have the authority in magical Britain to engage in these negotiations with the government." Harry's face clouded for a moment, and then he said "I am concerned as to how we break the situation in the Wizengamot. I will not dissemble, we need your help Ma'am" and he nodded to the Queen. She had been briefed on the deteriorating situation in the legislative body, so there was no surprise there. "On the whole, Wizarding society is very traditional, so I think an appeal to the traditional role of the Monarch in government can go a great way in smoothing the transition for the bulk of the average Wizard or Witch on the street."

Sirius laughed next to his Godson "Especially when you own the daily newspaper" which resulted in laughter throughout the room.

At this the crowd began to break up, the Prime Minister, and his cabinet members went off with Amelia and Dumbledore to set up a schedule for talks while Harry and Sirius helped Hermione collect her briefing materials.

The Queen walked up to them and said "Thank you Lady Gryffindor, for the excellent briefing. It's rather refreshing to have someone actually get to the point quickly." They all laughed lightly at that and she continued, "We are having a dinner party on the 22nd, and hope that you all can attend?" Turning to Sirius, he said "Most especially, I hope that your wife can attend so that I may greet her more properly. The last time we met I was a bit ruffled, and did not greet a royal cousin as I should have."

Sirius gave a short bow of acknowledgement and said "Think nothing of it Ma'am, my wife never mentioned it." He smiled his best Marauder smile and said "I think she was a bit ruffled as well."

The Queen smiled and said "Excellent, then we shall see you all on the 22nd, Evelyn, my secretary will send you the details via …owl, I believe the term is?" At this, she left the room. Hermione had read about the palpable presence that some persons had, the persons who were truly great, and she realized that the Queen was the second person she had met that was like that.

Hermione took her husband's hand as they followed Sirius out of the room and headed to a safe apparition point.

Harry looked at the ground, lost in thought. You do know that to many people, what we were just discussing in there would be considered High Treason to Magical Britain.

She nodded grimly. I know, but I just don't see any other path. The supremacists and Death Eaters are fixing the Wizengamot in a death grip and we are losing. If Voldemort gets control of the Wizengamot, it doesn't matter how many times he's defeated with a sword, he still wins. She paused thoughtfully. On top of that, the Wizengamot has entirely too much power. It comprises the legislative and judicial branches of the government and has complete control of the budget for the executive branch, effectively controlling it as well.

Harry nodded as they turned a corner in the castle and headed to the dungeons for a secluded spot to apparate. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, eh?

Hermione had the ghost of a smile and stopped in the middle of the hall. She raised her hand and gently cupped Harry's cheek saying aloud "Never you, my love. But not all men have your integrity, or iron will."

Harry half smiled back at her and leaned into the caress. "Nor do those other men have you at their side." Opening his eyes he gazed at her with tenderness and love saying "I think the next few months are going to be very difficult."

Hermione wrapped her arms around him and they held each other in the dungeons of the stronghold of Kings. Hermione voiced the thought in both their minds, "Thank God I have you."

A/N

1) I own nothing

2) The book in Sirius and Loreena's lap was a book of baby names.

3) When King Richard of England died, John, as Richard's younger brother, was crowned over Richard's nephew, Arthur of Brittany. However, Since Arthur still had a claim over the Anjou Empire in France, John needed the approval of the French king, Philip Augustus. To get it, John gave to Philip large tracts of the French-speaking Anjou territories. The long and short of it was that King Phillip ended up seizing the English Anjou lands (John losing a large source of income), John then made the Pope his enemy (not a good thing to do) and started raising taxes at home, as well as, inventing new ones. King John was the first King of England to institute an income tax - he took in 70,000 pounds its first year. By 1215, some of the most important barons in England had had enough, and they entered London in force on 10 June 1215, with the city showing its sympathy with their cause by opening its gates to them. They, and many of the moderates not in overt rebellion, forced King John to agree to the "Articles of the Barons", to which his Great Seal was attached in the meadow at Runnymede on 15 June 1215. In return, the barons renewed their oaths of fealty to King John on 19 June 1215. A formal document to record the agreement was created by the royal chancery on 15 July: this was the original Magna Carta. I have obviously taken great liberties with the legal ramifications regarding not being involved with the creation of Magna Carta, but hey, it's a story about Wizards and Witches, what's wrong with a little fast and loose with the legalese.

4) Back in chapter Eight I brought up the issue of a magical life debt and how in canon, the term is bandied about, but never acted upon (Snape/James, Ginny/Harry, Arthur/Harry, Ron/Harry, Hermione/Harry, Sirius/Harry & Hermione…). Sirius discussed in that chapter how a life debt compels a person to work in their creditors best interest until the debt is paid or else they suffer emotional distress (one possible additional source of Snape's snarkiness). In this chapter, the same principal holds true, Lords Gryffindor, Fraser and Black swore an oath (thereby binding themselves and all those who had sworn allegiance to them) and maintained autocratic fealty to the sovereign. The same compulsion would work on them and their descendants. Since the Monarch did not give any orders to the Ministry for Magic, the bonds of fealty were never invoked. Until now. And yes, I know that Ireland had been conquered by England by 1215, so there ought to have been an Irish peer as well, but it complicated the issue far more than was necessary.

5) The first person Hermione met who had a palpable presence was Harry. Of course.

6) I started my next fic a little earlier than expected. Take a look at "All Because of a Hippogriff" on FF net and Portkey.

-->