Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 2: And the Best of These

The happiness which this reply produced was such as he had probably never felt before, and he expressed himself on the occasion as sensibly and as warmly as a man violently in love can be supposed to do.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, pg 373

******Hogwarts Infirmary, 0530, 25 May 1995******

Harry awoke to a soft voice he recognized as Hermione's talking half to him and half to herself. "Oh Harry, is this love? I don't know. I have fancied you for so long now; I don't even remember when I didn't. But love? I don't know. I wish I could tell you how I feel. I don't want to own you, or be possessive, but I wish I could stop living with this secret. I am just plain terrified of you turning me away, though. I'll be honest, though, I do want you to be mine, and I want to be yours. I couldn't live without you in my life, either as a friend or something more than that. Maybe this is love then. Some Gryffindor I am, huh? I can't even tell the bloke that I love that I fancy him, much less that I can't live without him."

"And I don't think I could live without you either. That's what I was feeling earlier. How I had to get back to you, remember? I guess that means that I love you Mione" Harry whispered.

Shock and fear on Hermione's face faded into first understanding, then joy. For the second time in not too short a time, she catapulted herself from her chair into Harry's waiting arms. After a warm, close hug, she pulled back and looked into his emerald green eyes from a short distance. I could look into his eyes all day. Especially if I'm in his arms at the time.

She felt right in his arms. He felt right in her arms. As she pulled back to look into his eyes Harry screwed up his courage. Gryffindors charge where lesser men fear to tread, eh? He very slowly, to give her time to withdraw, leaned forward and softly kissed her. As she brought her hands up into his hair, and his arms pulled her close, they deepened the kiss. A light blue light enveloped them, and the air around them began to move slightly, as if in a slight breeze. All he could feel was the softness of her lips and the exquisite duel of their tongues. His sense of smell was consumed with the scent of vanilla, her shampoo apparently.

As oxygen became an issue, Hermione broke the kiss and said "Wow."

"Such eloquence from you Miss Granger, I couldn't have said it much better myself" said Harry as she snuggled down on to his chest. "Um, Mione?"

"Yes" she said propping herself up on her elbows next to him to get a better view.

"Would you, er, consider…no that's not it. Would you please, um, well, be, or rather let me be…rats, this is harder than I thought." Gryffindors charge Potter, "Would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?"

Before the entire word `girlfriend' was out of his mouth, Harry was in another rib crushing embrace with Hermione's lips on his own. Again, there was the unnoticed surge of magic between the two. This time, instead of a wild release of power, there was a searching quality to it. As if their magics were searching for each other. After another few minutes, she pulled back and looked at her newly minted boyfriend, both sporting goofy grins. "I'll take that as a `yes' shall I?" said he. "Yes, good sir, you may do so" replied she with a light laugh and snuggling back down on his chest.

Harry marveled at how quickly his life had changed. In the last twelve hours one of his worst fears had been realized with the rebirth of his parents' murderer and his own tormentor on and off all his life. Minutes ago, he and his best friend had declared their love for each other. Now, she's my girlfriend! What would I do without her? This cuddling thing is seriously underrated. Need to do much more of this in the future.

Sirius had watched most of the proceedings through cracked eyes with a big smile in his heart. His godson needed this. Not just any girlfriend though, he needed this girl. She was his partner in crime, as it were, and she didn't care about the whole `boy-who-lived' moniker. She cared about Harry. He'd need her, just as much as she'd need him in the months, and maybe even years to come. "Hey you two, enough snogging for now, we need to talk."

As the teens settled themselves on the bed, Hermione fluffing a pillow for Harry and then propping herself next to him, Sirius continued "First off kiddo, I'm taking you home with me when you're out of school. Albus Dumbledore's opinion be damned, you will never go back to those godforsaken muggles you've been with for the last decade or so. In order to do that though, I'm going to have to take off for a bit." As Harry's face fell, he quickly added "I'll be back here every evening. Hell, they'll have to adjust the wards to keep me out. I just have to sort out which house we'll be living in. I inherited three that I know of, and the safest one is not my preferred abode. I grew up in Black Manor, and … let's say it isn't a lot of fun. I'll need to get some cleaning and remodeling done as well as contract the goblins to upgrade the wards. Its wards are already very impressive, but with old snake lips running around again, I want impenetrable."

"So you need someone, or some ones, to do extensive cleaning and remodeling that we can have utter faith and confidence in" said Harry while purposefully looking at Hermione, a half grin on his face. After a short pause, Hermione gave a deep sigh, and while nodding said "Ok, but you have to pay them."

A baffled Sirius looked at the teens as Harry called out "Dobby!" followed by the sharp crack marking the arrival of the house elf. "Dobby, my godfather and I" said Harry, indicating himself and Sirius, "have a need to employ a house elf. Would you, and possibly Winky, be available to come work for us at our home?"

"Oh, Harry Potter sir! Dobby would be most honored to serve Harry Potter and his dogfather!" wailed Dobby. He was bouncing up in down in a frenzy of excitement and joy with tears falling down and bouncing off his chest. "Dobby will be right back with Winky!" and with a crack, he apparated away.

An amused Sirius looked to Harry, "Kiddo, what's with paying him? I thought…" noticing the thunderclouds building on Mount Hermione's forehead, Sirius quickly abandoned all protest. "But good idea. This is the elf you freed from Malfoy, right?" After Harry's nod, "Good, he'll bind himself to the house of Potter or Black in a pay relationship, and our secrets will be safe. Also, we're going to be doing quite a bit of training this summer, we won't have time for cleaning and such."

At the mention of training, Hermione's eyes lit up, and she almost bounced off the bed as Harry turned to her and said, "Will you please join me in this training?"

"Of course! I'd love to learn whatever you have planned!" and put a quick but thorough kiss on her boyfriend.

With a double crack, Dobby and Winky appeared. Winky piped up with tears running down her face "Master Potter wants Winky to be in his family? Truly?"

"Yes Winky, I'd like to welcome you to the House of Potter, but on a few conditions. First you will never punish yourself. If you feel you have made a mistake, you will come to me to discuss punishment. Second, I require all my house elves to wear uniforms, not clothes mind you, but uniforms. You and Dobby can figure out what to wear later. And lastly, I require you to accept an allowance of gold on a monthly basis, so you can purchase things for yourself. It's not pay, per se, but rather an allowance. Are these terms acceptable?"

"Oh yes Master! Thank you Master!" piped the two ecstatic elves.

"Also, please just call me Harry, I'd prefer it." The elves first looked at Harry and then each other in horror. Like the Queen asking one to call her "Liz". It just was beyond fathoming as possible. One just didn't do it. Ignoring the request, Dobby asked, "Master Harry, where is youse house so we can get to work right away."

Harry looked to Sirius as he relayed the address of Black Manor and the elves apparated away. "I know it's a bit of a lie, saying uniforms not clothes and allowance not pay. I just didn't need a big fight right now." said Harry, not looking at his girlfriend and running his right hand through his hair. "I understand" said she, "I guess I'll have to be content with baby steps." I can refuse you nothing can I? And you're too damn sexy running your hand though your hair like that.

"So Harry" said Sirius, "I've been meaning to ask you for a while, but never had the time to bring it up. Why don't you wear the head of clan Potter ring? I just haven't had an opportunity to safely go the Gringotts. My father died while I was in prison, and I've had a few higher priority tasks since my voluntary absconding from said place of residence. So what's the deal pup, don't like jewelry?"

Harry looked at Sirius blankly. Huh? Turning to Hermione, he got no answer there as she had a confused look on her face. "I'm sorry Sirius, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I never really thought about it. I mean, I know I'm the last Potter, and therefore head of a family of one. But Head of house? Never really thought about it."

"Harry, don't you see?" said Hermione excitedly. "As head of an ancient and noble house, you probably have a hereditary seat on the Wizengamont, and I wouldn't be surprised if you would automatically be emancipated! I'm sure you have enough funds" here Sirius snorted in amusement, "and probably have a house you could live in," to which Sirius muttered "you could call it a house."

Sirius stepped in "Kiddo, clan Potter is one of the wealthiest in the wizarding world, along with clan Black, Malfoy, Bones and MacMillan. I'm not too happy about your ignorance about this, but I'm willing to guess that our esteemed Headmaster has withheld this information, so as to keep you with those thrice damned muggles because he thinks it's safest. Tomorrow, or when you get out of this bed, you and I" here Hermione harrumphed, "Ok, the three of us, will go to Gringotts and get us both our inheritances. We should probably talk later about emancipation. There are pros and cons to consider. Either way, I'd like you to live with me."

Here Harry tried to get to Sirius for a hug, but barely moved at all, so Sirius came to him and gave him a full, warm, manly, "dad" kind of hug. It was the first real hug from a parent that Harry could remember. "I'd love to, Padfoot. No matter what happens, or how it plays out. But what about Moony? Is there room for him too?"

"Good Merlin, yes there's room! That reminds me. I'm going to try and track his Mooniness down while I'm out today. But if I miss him and he shows up here today, keep him here. Don't tell him about the declaration of innocence or anything, I want to do a wee bit of a prank on brother Moony."

By now it was breakfast and Sirius got up to take his leave, mentioning that he'd also do a little shopping today, reminding Harry that he'd be back for, or near dinner.

Hermione also disentangled herself from Harry, and with a resounding kiss, left him so she could change and get a shower. "Love, I'll bring our books as well. I know you don't have to take exams, but it would keep you busy" she said with a hopeful face. Harry smiled at the endearment She loves me!. "Great idea, please make sure you bring my Transfiguration book. I was getting stuck on the third universal law application in class the other day" Harry said to the delight of his academically inclined girlfriend. With one more thorough kiss, which was on the border of an out and out snog, Hermione almost skipped out of the infirmary back to Gryffindor Tower. He loves me!

****** Gryffindor Tower, Common Room, 0800, 25 May 1995******

Hermione bounced down the steps to the girls dorms, washed and changed into comfortable jeans, trainers and a Gryffindor Quidditch sweatshirt that she had `appropriated' from Harry last year. Looking around the common room, she spied Neville Longbottom sitting by the fire and she went up to him. "Neville, could you do me a favor and grab Harry's Transfiguration, Defense and Potions books for me? He asked for something to read in the infirmary."

"Sure, no problem" said Neville rising. "Is he up to visitors? I'd like to swing by this afternoon."

"That's really sweet Neville. I'm sure he'd be up to a short visit" replied Hermione.

As Neville moved up the stairs, Hermione heard behind her "So, we have to ask you for permission to go visit Potter now? " Hermione turned to see a red faced Ron a few inches from her. Backing up, she made to walk away when Ron grabbed her arm and sneered, "What's next, shagging him in the library?" Without thought, her right hand flew up and slapped him hard across the face, knocking him back a few steps. "You bastard!" she hissed at him. As Ron collected himself he raised his right hand and started to stride towards Hermione. She went for her wand as two blurs crashed into Ron, knocking him to the floor.

Fred and George Weasley now had their brother pinned, neither of the two perpetually happy young men sporting a smile. Fred was astride Ron's' chest and kneeling on his upper arms, and George sitting on Ron's knees. "Hermione" said Fred, "I think you'd best leave. I don't think you want to see what we're about to do to our dear wayward ickle Ronniekins."

At that moment, Neville returned with Harry's books, and Hermione made her way back to the infirmary; furious, confused and to be truthful, a little heartbroken that her one time best friend, was probably not that anymore.

****** Hogwarts Infirmary, 0830, 25 May 1995******

Madam Pomphrey had checked him out right after Hermione had left, and pronounced Harry "satisfactory. You don't want to rush things with the Cruciatus; it's not to be trifled with. You'll be able to leave tomorrow, if you keep recuperating like you have and keep taking your potions on time." The last said with a deliberate stare at the young Gryffindor seeker. "Yes ma'am" was his meek reply.

Now, Hermione was back and they were both settling down to scrumptious breakfasts that Winky had just brought. Something's wrong. "Mione, what's wrong? I can tell."

Hermione put down her fork and moved to sit next to Harry on the bed. He deserves the truth. Holding his hand, she said with a sigh "I've been having some…issues with Ron last night and today. Last night he made some stupid comments about you wanting more attention, and ragging on Viktor right when things were really tense in the maze. I mean, honestly, I agree, Viktor was wholly out of line, but right then wasn't the moment to really have a debate about his overall merits."

"He actually thought I wanted more attention" Harry deadpanned, staring straight ahead at nothing. "What else?"

"Well this morning I had asked Neville to get your books; by the way he said he'd swing by this afternoon. Anyway, as I was waiting, Ron came up behind me and said some extremely rude things and I have to admit that I lost it and slapped him."

"What did he say." It was a statement, not really a question from Harry.

"Does it really matter? The twins took care of it." she asked.

"Yes, it does matter, now tell me please." So she told him about the comments and how it looked like Ron was going to hit her before the twins intervened. Harry had a half smile as he contemplated what the twins would do to Ron for saying those things to Hermione, much less trying to hit her. Probably not magic, probably an old fashioned ass-whipping.

"I see" was all the response he could muster when she was done. "You're not going to confront him over this, are you?" asked Hermione fearfully. "Mione, let me ask you this: do you want to protect me, even though you know I can pretty much take care of myself?" queried Harry.

"Yes I do. I can't lose you." She replied, somewhat tearfully.

"Then I think you've answered your own question. Now, since I can tell that you want me to let it lie, I will. Only because you asked me to leave it alone. Two things though, my friendship with Ronald Bilius Weasley is over, and if he ever tries that shit with you again, I'll cut out his tongue" said Harry with some fire. And maybe his balls too. "Ok, enough serious stuff, let's eat this wonderful meal Winky brought us."

As they ate, Harry brought her up to date on Madam Pomphrey's pronouncements, as well as, showing her his vast store of potions he needed to take seemingly every 20 minutes, each potion tasting like liquefied Mongolian Yak shit. They talked in general terms about the upcoming summer, possible training regimens, the possibility of connecting their two houses by a private floo system and so on. Not really earth shattering discussions, but they were talking about the future. Their future and Harry had never been happier.

After breakfast they took a few hour nap, with Hermione kicking off her trainers and cuddling up next to Harry, on top of the covers. Waking up for lunch, Hermione decided it was time to broach a possibly painful topic. "Love, do you want to talk about what happened with Cedric?"

"Have you seen the pensieve memory? No? Feel free to ask Dumbledore. I think I need you to know all the details. But as to the big picture" here he quieted "I got him killed Mione. What more is there to say? It was my idea for us to take the cup together; it was my hide that Voldemort was after. Cedric was killed because of me, no two ways about it."

"I think that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard you say, and I have heard some pretty ridiculous things out of you." Hermione snapped at Harry. As Harry's face contorted in outrage, she continued "Did you cast the killing curse at Cedric? That wasn't a rhetorical question, Harry, answer me."

"No, I didn't. Doesn't matter though. If it wasn't for me, Cedric would be alive"

Taking a different tack, she said "so it's Ginny's fault that all those people were petrified our second year and the whole school could have been killed. Hell, you almost were killed" she said with a shudder. As Harry started to shake his head, she pressed her advantage "Ginny was the one who was releasing the basilisk. Ginny was the one who didn't report the strangeness of what the diary was doing. Ginny was the one who killed Hagrid's roosters."

"It wasn't her fault though; Riddle was doing it through her! It could have been anyone. She was just unlucky enough to get the diary in the first place" Harry objected.

"Exactly Harry. Voldemort wants you for some reason and in his psychotic mind, he can kill anyone who stands in his way. He can kill anyone who stands in the way of his demented plans and visions for his future. That. Is. Not. Your. Fault. He is an insane murderer, not you. As such, this time it was Cedric who was killed. Before it was hundreds of people. Muggles unknown, wizards and witches by the score. Is it your fault that they died? It's no more your fault they died than it's your fault Cedric died. Why do you think the whole `boy-who-lived' thing is such a big deal? Because he was such a terror, killing indiscriminately and everyone was glad he was seemingly dead. Damnit Harry, you aren't the murderer, he is and I won't let you take his sins on your shoulders. I love you too much" she finished in a strangled voice.

"Thank you Mione" said Harry in a whisper with tears running down his face. "I love you" and he pulled her into a fierce embrace.

As they broke their embrace, looking for some tissues, Harry laughed, "I knew I kept you around for more than your stunning good looks."

"Oh Harry, it's nice to hear that, but you don't have to make things up" said Hermione in an undertone while looking at the ground.

"Mione, I have to truthfully tell you, that I find you very attractive and even outright beautiful. You've always been beautiful. The way the light makes your hair glow. How your whole being lights up from the inside when you smile, how I can get lost in your eyes and well," he smiled impishly at her "you do have a great bum."

Hermione playfully punched him in the arm while she sported an ear to ear grin.

A/N

1) I own nothing

2) Sorry about losing the notes from ch 1. They're around here somewhere. Anyway, wanted to thank all those who have influenced my story. These days, no story is truly original, so I wanted to thank authors like Madscientist (whose format I've shamelessly stolen), mathiasgranger, canoncansodoff, witowsmp, mattd, seel'vor, and many more. If I didn't mention you here or in future chapter notes, I apologize.

3) I'm a romantic, watching chick flicks with my wife, I get snuffly, while she looks at me with a grin.

-->