Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 5: Attack and Betrayal, Part I

Verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

The book of Matthew Ch 26, verse 21

******Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts 0930 27 May 1995******

The floo in the Headmaster's office flared green and a figure clad in slacks and a long sleeve shirt tumbled out and sprawled on the floor, followed shortly by a young woman in a blouse and long skirt who nimbly extricated herself from the fireplace and offered a hand to her companion while trying to hide a smile.

"Go ahead and laugh, I know you want to" grumbled Harry. So Hermione began to chuckle before their private conversation was interrupted by a clearing of the throat by one of the other two occupants of the room. Harry and Hermione turned toward the Headmaster's desk to see it occupied by its owner and across from him was the Deputy Headmistress, Professor McGonagall.

Professor Dumbledore rose and said in a formal tone, yet with a smile, "My Lord Potter, I trust you and Miss Granger are well?"

Playing along, Harry responded "We are well, Headmaster. My thanks to your inquiry. And your health sir? Professor McGonagall?"

"Well played Harry" said the headmaster laughing. "I trust it went well with the goblins?"

Harry explained to the Headmaster what happened the previous day with the goblins, leaving out the tumult in calling Hermione his consort. Dumbledore was very curious about Goldbag's parting comments regarding the other seers, as well as, the proposed meeting with Ragnok and Goldbag. Turning his attention to this aspect of the situation the teens sat next to Professor McGonagall and they began to discuss the implications of a goblin alliance with the Champion of the Light for the upcoming war. "Harry, as you have no doubt gleaned by now from your history of magic class" said Dumbledore with more than a little sarcasm, "very rarely in the past have goblins associated willingly with humans, much less pursued an alliance. Their interaction with wizard kind has either been warlike in opposition, or financial. This could be a great opportunity, are you willing to be our spokesperson with the goblins? I would do this for you, and will if the goblins allow, but I believe that they want to talk to you, not me because of the contents of their prophecy."

"Yes, sir, I am willing to do this on a short term basis. Though, I have a feeling that life is going to get really busy really fast this summer" said Harry. "I am also very curious as to what their seers have in store for me."

Nodding in agreement, Dumbledore's face now took on a serious cast "Now, as to the attack on your party last night. I believe that it was an attack of opportunity, not an attack ordered by Voldemort. The Death Eaters involved were very low level. Thugs and thieves that probably saw you three in Diagon Alley and followed you hoping to get in good graces with their master."

Harry nodded. Last night was too easy. The three on three odds, Death Eaters usually roamed in packs, like wild dogs so the books said. The poor spell selection and speed, even as a fourth year, Harry knew more curses and could cast them faster then what they had shown. The clumsy attack location and execution, Death Eaters were usually like wolves, catch you alone and where you have little defenses and overwhelm you with numbers and strength.

Glancing at McGonagall who also wore a serious mien Dumbledore continued "There were other attacks yesterday that were more successful, from Voldemort's point of view. Barty Crouch's replacement as Head of International Magic Cooperation, Evan Looklighter, was killed along with his whole family. Three other employees of the ministry and their families were killed also. Two were in the Department of Magical Transportation and one in the Improper Use of Magic office."

Hermione was fidgeting with her skirt out of habit, twitching it straight and smooth. These attacks were not random, so what was the point. "He's obviously not waiting is he? Since Harry made it back with Wormtail, Voldemort would have to know that the Ministry and you, sir" said Hermione indicating with her head to the Headmaster "are not only aware of his resurrection, but are taking steps to block him. There is no gain in delay for him. He can gain an instant spy network via the Imperius Curse along with placing his devoted Death Eaters like Macnair and Malfoy and their ilk into positions. But why the departments that he hit? I would think the DMLE would be his first target. Unless, ohhhhh…" she said trailing off worrying her lower lip again.

"Mione" prompted Harry, followed with a wave of his hand.

"Well, Magical Transportation owns the floo network and authorizes those who can create portkeys. If he could put his own people, either devotees or imperiused, into key roles, it could be a problem, as he'd pretty much control travel, as apparition is easily warded. All travel outside of brooms, of course. Improper use of Magic, well they own the sensor grid that monitors magic all over Britain and Ireland. Probably can see the continent as well. That would be a key resource for Voldemort in the long run wouldn't it? International Magical Cooperation though, I can't puzzle that one out yet." Hermione rose to pace while the professors looked on with a combination of amusement and pride.

"Well said, Hermione." said Dumbledore nodding. Running his fingers through his beard in a meditative way he said "As far as official reactions to the attacks of last night and what happened after the third task, the Ministry is very concerned about public panic were they to announce the return of Voldemort. Their plan is to announce an increase in activity of `the group known as Death Eaters, former followers of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, while increasing appropriations for a swelling of the Auror ranks and DMLE officers. Cornelius admitted, after much badgering by Amelia Bones and myself, that the Ministry will have to announce Voldemort's resurrection if he is definitively identified in any action." At this point, Dumbledore steepled his fingers in front of his mouth and allowed the others to digest this news.

Harry's brow was furrowed and looking first at Hermione who had retaken her seat, and then glancing at the others he said "Why is he so reluctant to admit Voldemort's resurrection? I'd think that having people aware and prepared would be best."

Dumbledore rose and walked to the window, looking out "There are three schools of thought at work here Harry. The first path requires a denial of everything and tries to solve the problem out of the public eye. This is the route Cornelius originally wanted to take." Turning back from the window and conjuring one of his trademark squishy armchairs next to his transfiguration professor, he sat and reached for his tea. After a drink, he continued "However, we have Pettigrew, Crouch Jr. and their confessions and your pensieve memory. Having two eyewitnesses to the resurrection of Lord Voldemort and another who was deep in the planning and execution to resurrect him, well, these three together are nigh on incontrovertible and nullify the first path because Voldemort will not allow the war to be under the table, so to speak, when we know so much already. The second path is what the Ministry has adopted as their course of action, hoping to smooth the public into an easier acceptance of Voldemort's return. I disagree, but I have no vote in that discussion. The third path is immediate disclosure, which as you can tell, I advocated to the Ministry."

Here McGonagall spoke up, "Albus, I know what you think, but I believe the compromise approach by Amelia is the best bet. The level of fear in the populace for…him… far exceeds that ever felt for Grindlewald, or any other dark wizard that I have read about, with the exception of Morgana. I truly think that there would be mass panic if we started shouting from the ramparts that You-Know-Who was back. Parents would pull their children out of school; there would probably be a repeat of the exodus we saw in the last war around 1980. It would be very damaging to the economic health of our world. The government would probably fail. I believe the British magical community would just stop overnight."

Now, the fireplace burned green again as Sirius Black was ejected rather gracefully from the floo. "Ah, Sirius, I'm glad you could make it. We have just been discussing the state of the Ministry as well the goblins. Any other grand topics you'd like to contribute to the mix?" said the Headmaster with his twinkle going at full blast, and Professor McGonagall rolling her eyes at her superior.

Wiping a small amount of soot off his trousers, Sirius shook his black mane of hair and said "No, not really Albus, but I come bearing an Orb. Take a look" and Sirius handed the glass box containing the Orb to Dumbledore.

With an almost excited expression, Dumbledore returned to his desk and drew his wand. Placing it on the desk, he slowly opened the glass case and studied the orb from all sides before plucking it from its container. "Hmmm" he muttered as he began to wave his wand over the Orb in a highly intricate pattern, pausing and starting new patterns at least three times. Leaning back, setting his wand back on the desk and placing his hands on either side of the Orb as if to cup it, he asked "Minerva, would you please cast SPECIALAS REVEALO on the Orb?" After she cast the spell, Dumbledore's eyebrow crooked as if an expected result occurred, but he now didn't know what to do.

"Well, I can tell you that this Orb is a type of portkey that will take you to a place that I cannot determine" which obviously displeased the Headmaster. "That in and of itself is worrying. I can detect no other charm or curse on the Orb, although I must say that it is quite beautiful. I would like to call in Filius to examine the object?"

Harry looked to Sirius, communicating his opinion by nodding to his godfather. Having Flitwick examine the Orb couldn't hurt, only help. At this point McGonagall had moved closer to the Headmasters desk to examine the Orb more closely. "Professor" Harry said addressing the Headmaster "the family grimoire only instructs the chosen one of the Potter family, which I suppose is me, to tap the orb with my wand when I'm ready. Pretty easy to use and not much help otherwise. I'm going to have to act on faith that everything will turn out for the best. Unless I hear something different from Professor Flitwick, I am going to trust my parents and use the Orb."

Hermione strode over to Harry's chair and looking at the Headmaster while placing her hand on Harry's shoulder said "We will use the Orb." Smiling, Harry said "Yes dear, I meant `we'." Of course I meant `we', I couldn't do this without you.

Dumbledore looked agitated and glanced at McGonagall. Getting a slight nod from her he looked back to Harry and Hermione and spoke. "Harry, I swore to support you and I believe my best support for you right now would be here as the advocate for the light in government. Like yesterday, I can help to hammer out policy that will help us defeat our foe. I want very much to act in the role of a mentor, defender and teacher and go with you where the Orb takes you, but I realize that my efforts are best spent here. In my stead, I would ask you to consider having Professor McGonagall accompanying you to act in those roles. I also ask you to take this." At this, he rose and strode over to the fireplace and opened the glass case that housed the sword of Gryffindor, and gently, even reverently, handed it to Harry. "I have commissioned a scabbard and belt for it, which will arrive later today. I don't know why, but I have a very strong feeling that you will need this weapon ere long. And no Hermione, I don't think this is divination" he finished with his twinkle blasting.

Harry was almost speechless and looked at his head of house with the sword of their house in his hand. "Professor, I am honored that you want to accompany us. Thank you for volunteering your time."

"It isn't an inconvenience at all, Mr. Potter, we all have our reasons for fighting the darkness" the current Transfiguration professor stated before she rose. Smoothing her robes she said to the previous Transfiguration professor, "Albus, I've got to go. Remember, if we aren't back by September, my lesson plans are in the same place yours were stored" and here a small smile showed on her face, "mine are just better than yours" and strode out with a large smile that no one could see.

******Gryffindor Common Room, Hogwarts 1400 27 May 1995******

In the corner of the room, opposite the portrait hole, Harry and Hermione were snuggled on a loveseat, while Neville Longbottom sat next to them in a winged back leather chair and gesturing animatedly with his hands while he spoke. "So after you left Hermione, the twins both stunned Ron and then levitated him out. Probably won't surprise you that no one said anything to them or tried to stop them. I think Lavender wanted to go with them to help, but got a wave off from one of the twins when he said something about `quality time with family'. I was a little surprised, it didn't seem like you and Lavender where that close, but she said something about `hitting girls' and went up to the girls dorm." At this statement, Harry and Hermione exchanged a surprised look. "Next time I saw Ron-the-git was that night after dinner when he showed up in the dorm sporting a fat lip and a black eye. Says he got it playing Quidditch. Sure, I believe that" finished Neville with an exaggerated look on his face.

Harry chuckled while Hermione tutted at the obvious beating their former best friend had received from his brothers. Not that I disagree, I just wish I could have seen the ass when it was fresh. Well, isn't that a bit of bloodlust Mione? Mione? When do I call myself Mione? When Harry started calling me that. The resultant big goofy grin on her face caused a quizzical look from Neville, but she ignored it and said softly to Harry "Are you Ok about this severing of ties with Ron?"

Harry sighed and pulled her tight "I'm sad about it. Ron was my very first friend, closely followed by you two" he said while nodding at Neville. "Friends aren't a luxury for me, so I guess I've let him get away with a lot of mean behavior to me and others. Primarily you Mione" and here he shook his head as if to clear it "and that's just wrong. I never had the courage before to stand up to him, and I was thinking of myself before you all. In a strange way, I hurt him too by staying mum when he was being a prat. I was afraid to lose my very first friend, but no more. Ron has made his bed; he has to lie in it."

From behind him, Harry heard a sneer "Really, Potter. Thanks for that bit of wisdom." At the panicked look on Neville's face, Harry dove forward off the couch, pulling Hermione with him just before he heard "REDUCTO." Looking up, he saw the empty chair across from them give a weak wobble before falling over, while he heard a cacophony of spellfire hit what he supposed was Ron Weasley behind him. Standing up and turning around, the young couple saw a somewhat gruesome sight. Ron had been hit by multiple spells and it looked like his right arm and leg had been broken very badly, he was bleeding out of his nose and his purple skin was covered in bright yellow boils. Every time he exhaled, a noxious fume akin to sulphur was emitted but the most distracting sight was that his ginger hair had been replaced by emerald colored fire.

"Mione, would you please fetch Professor McGonagall, and Neville, would you please fetch Madam Pomfrey?" As the two took off on their errands, with a sad air, Harry looked around the common room and asked "Has anyone seen the twins or Ginny?"

******Great Hall, Hogwarts 0715 28 May 1995******

Neville sat down for breakfast across from Harry and Hermione, and next to the twins as they were discussing the fate of Ron. Apparently, Mrs. Weasley had been summoned to be informed of his injuries, and once he was out of danger, the Headmaster and Deputy Headmistress informed Molly that her youngest son had been suspended for the rest of the school year, and the staff was considering expulsion for Ron. "Mum did her nut right there in Dumbledore's office when they told her what he did yesterday afternoon. I don't think they know about the run in the other day with you Hermione" said Fred as he polished off his breakfast. "She built up a good head of steam before McGonagall shut her down. Pretty impressive that" continued George. "We were up there with Ginny to hear about Ronniekins health, and were treated to a free show. It was a good one."

"True, brother, but not as good as the time we charmed Charlie's palms green, and everything he touched turned green. Ah, the innuendo we got away with on that one" Fred reminisced fondly.

How can anyone stay sane and live with these guys on a regular basis? "So your mum took him home last night?" said Harry.

"This morning, actually" said George. He continued at almost a whisper "Apparently, Ron's not doing too well in courses either; failing Potions, Transfiguration and Charms. He might even get held back a year if they let him come back at all."

At this statement, Hermione's worrying of her lower lip went into overdrive. Harry looked at her, registering her behavior. Need to shut this down now. He held her hand and said, "Stop it."

Hermione ran her free hand through her wild hair and shook her head in negation. "Even though he's been a prat recently, he's been my friend all year and I didn't help him enough with his courses. This is partially my fault" she said with tears in her eyes.

"Oh bollocks" came from Fred of all people. "How is our stupidhead brother failing his courses your fault? Explain that one, because I for one have no idea how that's possible. Look, Hermione, in the end, they are his courses, not yours and he has to live with it, not you."

Hermione sat there stunned. Coming from the constant joker, the serious statement had more of an impact than coming from Harry or Neville. The strength of the statement seemed to have rocked her back on her heels for the moment, causing her to reconsider.

As breakfast ended Harry pulled Hermione into an empty classroom. "Honestly, Harry, I love kissing you and all, but we really don't have time for this right now. We have Transfiguration in twenty minutes."

With a slight smile Harry said "Thanks, but something just occurred to me as we were walking out. Yesterday Professor Dumbledore said the Voldemort was told half the prophecy by a Death Eater. How does he know that? I doubt he's had tea with Voldemort any time in the last, oh say, ever. So how does he know?"

Worrying her lower lip and staring off into space, Hermione propped her chin on her hand and thought. "Well, the obvious answer is that the Death Eater who told Voldemort, or another who witnessed a Death Eater telling Voldemort about the prophecy, told the Headmaster. I wonder what the circumstances of the telling of the prophecy were?"

Sighing at a probably emotional encounter, Harry said "I think I'm going to be late to Transfiguration. I've got a letter to send to Padfoot. I think it'd be best to have him and maybe Professor Lupin here for this discussion with the Headmaster, don't you think?" Harry said to his girlfriend. Can I get through one day without a crisis?

******Ministry of Magic, Minister's Office, London 1445 28 May 1995******

Amelia Bones was giving her daily update to the Minister on Death Eater activity and actions taken by the DMLE. Since the attacks on the Lightfoot family and 3 others, there had been no attacks on wizards. There were 15 attacks on muggles that fit the profile of Death Eater `muggle hunting' which was most distasteful in effect. Wrapping up the conversation, they were discussing finances.

"Sir, I've talked with the local Gringotts manager and they have permission from Gringotts corporate to monitor activity on the personnel we viewed in the Potter memory. All transactions and withdrawals are to be monitored and reported. The hard part will be acting on the withdrawals" said Bones. She went on to explain that the goblin high council was leery of having a full time Auror presence in the lobby of Gringotts on the off chance the a Death Eater would be stupid enough to actually come to the bank to get funds, rather than wiring money to an offshore account and picking up the gold there. Belgium was a common target country as it was within apparition range and, on the whole, the Belgian wizard population hated the British and French. On top of it, the Belgian wizard government had no compunction in thumbing their collective nose at the `limeys and frogs'.

"One last thing, I believe very strongly that we need to address the Wizengamont and get authorization to approach the goblins to freeze the accounts of the Potter memory Death Eaters." This had been a back and forth discussion between the Minister and his DMLE head. Fudge was hesitant due to the expected backlash in the Wizengamont from the old pureblood contingent. For the most part the Death Eaters in question were from old pureblood families like Malfoy, Nott and Goyle. The supremacist purebloods in the Wizengamont may take an attempt to freeze these Death Eater assets as precedent for governmental attacks on purebloods and react strongly. Bones made the case that to cut off Voldemorts funding now, would have positive long term effects on the war, hopefully even crippling him before he really got started. "I have the case already made. Copies of the briefing papers and even part of a speech written" she added with a half smile.

With a weak laugh, Fudge nodded "Finish your speech Amelia. I need to think this over tonight. You do realize, that this issue could cause the fall of the government and put everything is disarray?" Fudge looked at her steadily, "If we go down this course of action, I will give the speech and you will not be in chambers at all. I don't want you tainted by this if the government falls. You will be my logical successor, and I don't want that ruined so that a supremacist or heaven help us a Death Eater sympathizer is appointed as Minister."

A/N

1) I own nothing

2) The three paths Albus lays out are standard policy crafting process for a crisis management: best case, middle case and worst case. In canon, JKR advocates (through AD) complete disclosure. I think that would be bad. What Bones got was a blending of worst and middle, which is probably the appropriate course of action (me speaking thru Minerva). Is LV a bad guy? Yes, but the real terror was in the raids that he organized and ordered. Probably, he personally killed a lot less than his Death Eaters did. Therefore, focus on the boys in black, not the uber bad guy who scares the pants off people.

3) Story recommendation for this chapter is "The Detour to Reality". Great rewrite & fixing of the storyline post OOTP. I really like what's been done.

4) Tip of the hat to The Obsidian Warlock for his idea regarding Dept of Magical Transport. The idea for International Coop and Improper Use of Magic is mine.

5) I've always thought that Sirius would work really hard to be the height of cool, so he would floo really well to impress the ladies.

6) Ron is the kind of guy that can't stop himself from digging the hole he is in much, much deeper. Usually it's with insensitive remarks, this time it's with spellfire. Since jealousy is such a powerful force, and Ron is the font of jealousy, it's not too hard to believe he'd lose it and take that one more step.

7) Thanks Madscientist for the Mione line.

8) Yeah, Fudge isn't the weak sister here he was in canon. He's no superstar, but not the loser he was in the books. Also, I make the difference between a pureblood supremacist and a Death Eater. In GOF, Sirius makes a great distinction (and I paraphrase) that not all mean people are evil. I think that some of the supremacists would look at the Death Eaters and see them for the thugs that they are and shy away from them. Doesn't mean they aren't mean spirited bigots, though.

9) I have nothing against Belgium; it's just close enough to apparate to from the UK.

-->