Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 15: Moony, Ghosteyes, Padfoot and Raksha

"And when the war broke out, its real horrors, its real dangers, its menace of real death were a blessing compared with the inhuman reign of the lie"

Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago, Epilogue

******Forbidden Forest, Hogwarts 0340 26 June 1995******

Sirius helped Remus back through the forest as Raksha had point to get them back to the castle and Ghosteyes and Crookshanks were twenty yards on either side of the two older men. They had quite a bit of fun this evening. Remus had been taking modified Wolfsbane that Emma had brewed and it had been somewhat effective. His transformation had been significantly less painful, but while he kept his mind, he had still been very aggressive. He had kept his mind, but wasn't safe enough to be in a crowded house, though. Hopefully, Emma could tweak her brew to reduce the aggressiveness. She had been almost apologetic when offering it up for the last week, but Remus had tried it with abandon.

The run tonight had taken the two older men back to a simpler, easier time, before death began to prowl in their midst. The moon had risen at 2008 and they had been running pretty much ever since. Remus had been shocked that the other three were in such good shape. Around two AM, they had run across three Acromantulas and before Moony could blink, Ghosteyes, Crookshanks and Raksha had the spiders on the ground, and a blink of an eye later the giant spiders were missing their heads.

Ghosteyes trotted up to Raksha. You Ok? It didn't bite or sting you did it?

Raksha stood. No, it didn't get me. I just wanted to clean up my muzzle. Rather disgusting creatures, Acromantulas.

Ghosteyes snorted and looked to see Crookshanks grooming his face and ruff, the better to look his best Ghosteyes assumed, and then the run continued. At three thirty, the five of them had been roughhousing and Ghosteyes fell right on Moony's ribcage. No one heard a rib break, but he was hurting. Therefore, when the moon set ten minutes later, they headed up to the school so Poppy Pomfrey could see Remus. She knew that they were in the woods, so she said that she'd sleep in the infirmary and to wake her if needed.

After they had cleared the forest, Harry and Hermione reassumed their human form and walked over to the men while Crookshanks melted back into the Forest after a long look at Hermione as if to say, "I'm going, do you have anything to say about it?" Hermione said to the injured man "Are you Ok, Remus?"

Remus' chuckle was cut off with a wince. "I think I've cracked a rib" and followed up quickly at seeing Harry and Hermione's concerned expressions "but this is nothing compared to some of my other injuries while being Moony. Don't fret about this at all."

They wended their way up to the infirmary chatting about Harry and Hermione's OWLs and NEWTs. They'd ended up taking them all in two days. After breezing through the written portions of the OWLs, they knocked out the practicals that evening and repeated the feat the next day with their NEWTs. When the examiners expressed their shock, Harry responded "We've been studying these topics day in and day out for the last four years with world class instructors and no distractions. Of course this is easy for us."

Dan and Emma had taken their OWL tests under the baleful glare of the Herbology and Potions testers. Albus had personally come to the testing room and sit with them to ensure they were tested fairly. Both were confident they did well on their OWLs and were taking their NEWTs later this day.

They arrived at the infirmary and Poppy confirmed that Remus had two broken ribs. A bone mending potion and a numbing charm later, Poppy hesitantly told Remus he could leave. The whole time she kept looking at a hospital bed, as if she wished she could confine him to her care to ensure he got well.

Harry looked at Hermione with a smile. Let's go home, lover. Race you. He disappeared without a sound causing Poppy to jump and Sirius to roll his eyes.

Hermione smiled and shook her head sending a thought out to him as he undressed in their bedroom back at Black Manor. Show off. You're doing that just to twist my tail. She too disappeared without a sound, just as the Headmaster walked into the infirmary wearing a blue and red striped bathrobe.

He paused, looked at Sirius and Remus who were grinning madly and to Poppy who was gaping at the spot from which Hermione had just disappeared. Turning back to the Marauders, who were now openly laughing, he chuckled himself. "Did they just…?"

Sirius finished for him "Apparate? Yes" and promptly laughed at Albus' astonished expression.

After they all laughed for a moment, Albus abruptly sobered. Looking very serious he said "If Harry and Hermione can apparate though Hogwarts wards, do you think Voldemort can as well?"

With that grim thought, they all went off to their beds.

******Black Manor, London 1215 26 June 1995******

Harry and Hermione stumbled downstairs for lunch, still very frowsy after their late night. Dan and Emma had portkeyed to Hogwarts in the morning, so their only lunch companion was Loreena, as Sirius was still sound asleep.

"Good afternoon you two. How did everything go last night? Sirius has been unconscious since I woke up" said Loreena while plating up her lunch from the sideboard.

Harry yawned while Hermione answered, telling of the Acromantulas and then Remus' accidental injury. "We were really worried, but he said he's been through much worse" said Hermione, seeming to still not be convinced of the truth of the statement.

Loreena nodded "Men."

Hermione smiled broadly and obviously glanced at Harry "Yes. But they do have their uses don't they?" Harry smiled knowingly and then Hermione said "They can clean the loo, wash the clothes, even make the bed with enough pressure put on them in the right way." The two women laughed at Harry's chagrined and pseudo-outraged expression.

Harry mock-puffed himself up and said "I'll have you know, that I am much more than that." He then added in a humorous prim undertone "I can do windows, too" which caused more laughter.

The Potters started eating with gusto after their active night and it was silent for a bit while baser needs were met. After finishing their meal, Harry said to Loreena "Hey, we talked to Minerva about this, but it occurred to us to bring you in on the decision as well."

At Loreena's raised eyebrows and a wave of a hand while she took a sip of her drink, beckoning for more information, Hermione continued. "Harry had the idea of going to the newspaper and giving an interview describing some aspects of our stay at Redfields, explaining why we've aged four years in three weeks"

Loreena finished the statement "and why Minerva is now roughly thirty when at the end of last term she was almost eighty five."

Nodding, Hermione said "Exactly. It would also be an excellent opportunity for you to introduce yourself to Wizarding Britain."

Harry snorted at that "Yeah and you can be as much an object of curiosity as the rest of us. People pointing and staring." He stopped at the glare he was receiving from his wife. "Ok, I'm done with the pity."

Loreena nodded, only half listening to Harry. After some consideration, she said "I think that's a good idea. Let me talk to Sirius once my laggard husband is coherent today. Get his opinion and we can plan from there." She was silent again, obviously thinking further. "What, exactly, are you going to tell the reporter? This could be an opportunity to strike at Voldemort. Make him pause and try to figure out what is going on. Let it `leak' into the conversation that you underwent a magical power boosting ceremony, or that your magical power increased significantly while in Avalon. Mention your new Phoenix familiar. The mere consideration of a Phoenix, much less as your Familiar, Harry, is considerable. We ought to sit down and sketch out what we want to tell, and what we want to hide." She was obviously thinking aloud more than conversing at this point and she rose and paced while she talked. "Write it all down. Get Dumbledore to have a look. He's experienced in managing the press, he might have some good input."

At this point, Sirius stumbled into the dining room, the hair on the left hand side of his head plastered straight up and he still had wrinkles in his face from the sheets. With a sweet smile and tone, Loreena said "Sirius, sweetie, hurry up and eat, we need to talk about some things."

Once Sirius was somewhat coherent and had bathed, he agreed with the basic premise of using the Prophet to their advantage. While Harry wrote a note to Jamie, Minerva and Albus, asking for their presence, Hermione conjured a chalkboard in the study for them all to see and divide what they would disclose and what they would conceal. As Hedwig flamed away with Harry's note, he joined the discussion.

So far the other three had listed under "conceal": Voldemort's anchor, Voldemort's demonic aspect, the full extent of magical power boosting for Harry and Hermione, Ghosteyes and Raksha and Hermione was reluctant to disclose Crookshanks transformation for a reason she couldn't pinpoint. Under "reveal", they had listed; the age differences of Harry, Hermione and Minerva and why, Jamie's return, an insinuation of power growth for Harry and Hermione, Loreena's origins and her marriage to Sirius, Hedwig's transformation into a Phoenix and Harry and Hermione's marriage. Looking at the list for a minute, Harry said "Add the Gryffindor and Redfields titles under `reveal'." Responding to the questioning faces, he said "It'll be red meat to Voldemort that I'm the heir of Gryffindor and a blood heir of Ravenclaw and that my lovely spouse" here he extravagantly kissed Hermione's hand "is Rowena's magical heir. Plus, it'll give us an edge in the public's eye." He continued to look and with an apologetic look, turned to Loreena and said "What about the `Her Royal Highness' title? Are you Ok disclosing your parentage to the world? It will make you an overnight celebrity."

Loreena considered for a minute and said "Yes, let's reveal it. It'll be a smash hit with the stodgy old Pureblood factions." Looking at Sirius sitting next to her, she said "The Head of the House of Black married to the eldest child of the King of Avalon and raised to a Dukedom? They'll eat it up" as she settled back into her husband's arms.

With a burst of flame, Hedwig arrived with Jamie, Minerva and Albus in tow, and went to settle on her perch over by the window. Harry explained what was going on to the McGonagalls and the Headmaster and waited while they reviewed what was on the board.

After a few moments, Albus turned to Harry and looked at him over his half-moon glasses and said "The only thing that comes to mind for the `reveal' column, Harry, is to add your status as the official Head of the House of Potter and your plans for your Wizengamot seat." Looking at Sirius, he added "Both of your seats."

****** Ministry of Magic, Wizengamot Offices 1700 26 June 1995******

Henry Asquith was walking back from the Minister's office with his head down while reading over a slightly marked up piece of parchment. He's been working on this for over a week, and felt that he finally had a fair, but useful bill that would authorize the use of Legilimancy and Veritaserum on Ministry workers.

He was a bit amused by his current state. For many years he had drifted along on the tide of time and never really become involved, choosing rather to devote himself to his hobbies. Yet, here he was up to his elbows in the conduct of the war, leading the charge in the Wizengamot and he found his actions to be very satisfying on multiple levels. He was no warrior, of that he was certain. Here in the Wizengamot, however, he could wage war as best he knew how and was content.

Bumping into someone, he dropped all his parchment on the floor and said "Oh dear, please excuse me. I wasn't looking where I was going." He knelt down to gather up his fallen sheaves when the person he still hadn't looked at said "Too bad Blood-Traitor. CRUCIO!"

As the pain of a thousand hells coursed through his nervous system, Henry screamed in torment. It was late, and the offices sparsely populated at noon, were completely empty at the end of the workday. Henry would have realized that he was doomed, as he lay there screaming and flailing, that is if he could have formed a coherent thought through the pain of the Cruciatus.

The torturer stopped to enjoy their handiwork and with a raised wand began the hated incantation "AVADA…"

"STUPEFY!" was shouted from down the corridor as Amelia Bones came running down the hall to Henry and his attacker. She skidded to a halt and quickly re-stunned her now-prisoner twice then bound him before turning to Henry. He opened his pain-filled eyes as he twitched and jerked in the aftereffects of the Cruciatus. Amelia looked him over for wounds and finding none said "Other than the pain, are you injured Henry?" At his shake of his head, she nodded quickly before using the Communication Charm to summon Connie and Shacklebolt to take charge of the prisoner.

"Speaking of which" and she turned to the black-robed attacker and took off his Death Eater mask. Recognizing his face, she said "Oh no. I didn't need this" for she recognized the face of Stephen Blackthorne, eldest child and heir of Lord Alexander Blackthorne.

******Black Manor, London 0800 27 June 1995******

Harry had been awake for the last twenty minutes watching his naked wife as she lay next to him. Gratitude for her loving him and wonderment at the same, vague fears of her being hurt in the war but most of all the thoughts that dominated him was a fierce and burning love, affection and desire for this woman to whom he had pledged himself. He would do anything for her.

She rolled over and the sheet slipped down, exposing her chest. Harry smiled at the `free show' as she had called it one morning when they had first started sleeping together. After getting a quick eyeful, he very gently started to pull the sheet up when her voice in his head broke the silence. All done perving are you?

With a broad smile, he laughed at her joking prod. Just getting started, you?

Well, with this morning breath of mine, I'm surprised you haven't been turned to stone yet.

Clicking his tongue at her, he shook his head. Making his hand into a little gun like children used, he pointed at her mouth and a moment later, Hermione was minty fresh. Oh ye of little faith. It's magic, sweetheart.

Laughing aloud, she said aloud "Come here husband and do your husbandly duties."

With a chuckle, Harry applied the Breath Freshening charm to himself and said "As you wish" and scooted over to his wife.

A half hour later the smiling Potters ambled downstairs to breakfast and to catch up with Dan and Emma on their NEWTs. Harry and Hermione had not taken their Herbology NEWT and were curious to hear from Dan what he thought. As they went into the dining room they stopped in shock to hear Sirius cussing up a storm and Dan and Emma sitting at the table, faces as white as linen.

In unison, Harry and Hermione said "What?"

Dan rubbed his face and pointed to the newspaper on the table. The headline was the obvious source of disturbance, for it read: MUGGLES TEST FOR OWLs AND NEWTs. The byline by the infamous Rita Skeeter then proceeded to give an extremely slanted story with objections and innuendo in every sentence. Overall, it was an extraordinarily nasty and inciting piece of work by the Prophet's resident rumormonger.

Sirius beckoned to Harry and Remus and they followed him into the study, where Sirius closed the door behind them all. Fuming, he said "Ok, screw this. Harry you or I is buying that rag and put a stop to this crap."

This rocked Harry a bit. He had become accustomed to his wealth, but not the potential for influence and real power that he had just from his extensive coffers. A completely new world of possibilities opened up to him. After processing for a minute, he nodded to his Godfather and said, "Good idea, I'll do it."

Sirius, still in a passion said "No, I want to. Dan and Emma are good friends, hell, they're family."

Waving his hand, Harry said "Hello? They're my in laws, I get to do it."

Remus shook his head at the absurdity of the situation as the door opened to admit Mrs. Black and Mrs. Potter. Without looking at the ladies, Remus said to Sirius, "Decide the normal way Padfoot."

Sirius nodded and put his right fist with the thumb up on his opened left hand palm. Catching on, Harry mimicked him and after Sirius said "One, two, three", Harry smacked his still closed fist on his hand - rocks, while Sirius smacked his right hand down with two fingers out - scissors.

Remus clucked his tongue and shook his head saying "Always with the scissors Padfoot. Ghosteyes wins."

Hermione finally ran out of patience, "Alright, what's going on?" with Loreena nodding next to her. After Remus explained that Harry was going to purchase the Daily Prophet to try and get some control over the press, they could see Hermione wind up as she took a deep breath to begin a rant about freedom of the press and other such things. She paused and with a look of realization on her face said "That is actually an excellent idea. Good job guys" and turned to walk back to the dining room and calm her parents some more.

After Hermione and Loreena left, Harry turned to the two Marauders and said "I've a few ideas. First, I think I should do this as quietly as possible. I want the subsequent anti-bigot slant that my paper is going to adopt to be non-attributable to anyone, and since I'll own the paper, how else will it get out?" he finished with a big smile.

Sirius nodded a bit while considering the idea. "Good thought, pup. What else?"

With a feral grin, Harry deliberately looked at Remus and then Sirius and said "Mr. Moony, Mr. Padfoot, Mr. Ghosteyes would like to talk about a Ms. Skeeter."

Hermione, her parents and Loreena heard the three laughing all the way down in the dining room. Hermione shrugged at Loreena's questioning look and they resumed their discussion.

******Gringotts Bank, Diagon Alley London 1300 27 June 1995******

The Potters and the Blacks strolled into the bank in casual but extremely expensive robes. Hermione and Loreena had come specifically to be added to their husbands' family vaults as well as to be involved in the direction for Ugluk to begin the purchase of the newspaper. After being shown into the same waiting room as they had waited four and a half years before, they waited only a few minutes before Goldbag himself hustled in the room.

All four rose quickly, with Sirius and Harry giving their best Avalonian courtly bows, while the ladies gave a deep curtsey. "Clan Chieftain Goldbag, you are well met this day. My hopes are for full coffers and the sharpness of your blade" Harry said in the traditional greeting of one warrior to another.

Goldbag, despite his astonishment at the changes in Harry and Hermione, gave a deep bow to the four as well and said "My Lords, My Ladies, I greet you with honor. Overlord Ragnok wished me to escort you to his offices so that we could converse in privacy and comfort." With a nod, they trooped up to the elegantly furnished offices of the Lord of the Goblin nation.

After the ritual greetings with Ragnok, Harry smiled, knowing he'd really love this next part. "Overlord, Clan Chieftain, I would like to inform the Goblin nation of great tidings." He turned to face Sirius and Loreena. Sirius saw the move and glared at his Godson, knowing what was coming. "My Godfather, Sirius Black, has been elevated to the Dukedom of Redfields, and has wed. His lovely bride is a distant relative of mine."

Formally addressing Ragnok, Harry said "Overlord, may I present to you, Her Royal Highness the Princess Loreena Black, eldest daughter of King Rhodri and Queen Carys of Avalon, Duchess of Redfields, and Baroness Black." The two goblin leaders' eyes opened wide at Loreena's string of titles and, as Harry had anticipated, began a series of greetings and bows that were High Courtly in the least.

After this died down, Sirius piped up with his own smile and put Harry and Hermione on the spot as Sir Harry and Dame Hermione, Lord an Lady Gryffindor. "He has laid claim to his family title after many years" finished Sirius with an extra wide smile.

Ragnok nodded his head absently. "Much is clearer than was before." Looking back up at Harry and Hermione, he nodded to Goldbag who returned the nod. "If we had known of your ancestry and titles My Lord Gryffindor, the identity of the Stormbrow and Shieldmaiden would never have been in doubt. Ragnok bowed again to Hermione and said "It is truly a great honor to meet you My Lady, on many counts."

Hermione curtsied as befitted a Lady of her station meeting a head of state "Overlord, I am honored by your words and kindness to my husband, cousins and myself. We are in your debt."

Harry then caught the eye of the Goblin leader and expressed his condolences at the slaughter of the Goblin garrison at Azkaban. "Risks are run by every warrior, but nonetheless, this is a dark hour."

He glanced at Hermione. Should we make our pitch?

Hermione mentally nodded. Yeah, I think they're in the right mood to hear it.

Harry took his wife's hand and said to the Goblins "May we impose on your time and discuss a few issues of import?" At the profuse acceptance from the Overlord, they moved to the sitting area and sat drinking tea for a moment before Harry began to explain in an overview about Avalon and their training regimen. "My wife and I are now intending to assume the mantles of the Stormbrow and Shieldmaiden. We were unable to do so when last we met, but believe we can do so now and not dishonor ourselves or our comrades."

At the sage nods from Ragnok and Goldbag, Sirius said "As we all know, not all warfare is with a blade or magic. For our first encounter, My Lord Gryffindor would like to purchase the Daily Prophet."

After a moment of obvious shock on the Goblins' faces, they looked at each other and burst into laughter. Not knowing what to do, the humans just waited until Ragnok slapped his thigh and croaked out "Most Excellent!" Looking to his Deputy, he said "Oh, this will be good hunting, will it not?" After mostly regaining his composure, Ragnok said "My Lord Gryffindor, it is good to see a Warrior who can see past the tip of his own sword. Our acquisition division will expedite this transaction. The firm shall be yours by the end of the week." After Harry mentioned his intention to keep his ownership, quiet Ragnok smiled his toothy smile and said "It shall be done. What else can Gringotts or the Goblin nation do for you on this fine day?"

Here we go. "Overlord, war is upon us. We" and he indicated the four humans "go forth into battle against the forces of Darkness that the evil being that we know as Voldemort arrays around himself. You and I have bonds of friendship and prophecy between us, but I would like to go farther and draw steel in the cold places of the earth side by side with Goblins. I wish to ally myself with the Goblin nation, so that when you are in need, you have but to call and Lord and Lady Gryffindor, the Stormbrow and Shieldmaiden, will come." The implication was that if Harry called, they too would come. At that moment, Hedwig flamed into the room, and after a gentle call of life giving song, settled on Harry's shoulder.

Goldbag looked on in awe "The Phoenix."

Harry petted Hedwig on the chest for a moment before returning his gaze to Ragnok who was deep in thought. After a few moments, he replied to Harry "You have given me much to consider, My Lord Gryffindor. I cannot, of course, commit the Goblin nation at this point in time. Consultations must be taken with the Clan Chieftains and resolve made. I can tell you that we have never allied ourselves with humans, but" and he raised his hand palm out "I foresee a favorable outcome. You are the chosen Warrior of Prophecy and are mated to She Who Draws Steel. We will be in contact with you soon."

******Charon House, Cumbria 0100 29 June 1995******

Alastor had taken Bill Weasley to the edges of Malfoy Manor the evening before to run some scans of the wards to determine if they were able to be broached. They came back to Charon House around 0100, and Bill was white as a ghost and wouldn't talk until he had at least four stiff drinks in him. "The wards are downright evil" he had rasped out eventually. "I saw something like them in Egypt once on a Court Vizier's tomb that would cause trespassers to explode with no notice. There is also a killing ward inside the exploding ward. I think they are both keyed to allow anyone branded with the dark mark through."

Harry had spoken up from his seat in the shadows "Can you bring them down quickly and without alerting the residents of the house?"

Bill's eyes bugged out when he recognized the speaker "Harry? What happened to you?"

"Later, Bill. Can you crash the wards quickly and silently?" Harry persisted.

After some thought he said "I can do it silently, but not necessarily quickly. Speed usually means noise for us Curse Breakers."

Harry nodded, "Fair enough, we'll keep them off your back if necessary."

Currently, Mad-Eye looked over Harry and Hermione as they examined the sand table layout of Malfoy Manor. They were dressed in all black - long sleeve T-shirts and cargo pants with jungle boots. The Danio Tymestl was strapped to Harry's back while Hermione had the Eryr Ewin at her side. Harry had found a charm that would allow him to actually draw his sword while on his back, normally, the blade would have been far to long to clear the scabbard otherwise. Hermione preferred her sword on her hip.

The sand table was a rough approximation of Malfoy Manor based on an amalgamation of memories from four people who had been there in one capacity or another in the last five years. The Manor house stood at the top of a small hill, with a manicured lawn all around, with a few ornamental shrubs scattered about to break up the monotony of a huge lawn. Directly behind the house was a very large formal garden that had accommodated outdoor parties with over one hundred guests.

Beyond the garden in the rear of the house were thin copses of beech that led to a small fast moving stream that was reputed to be intentionally infested with Kappas and Grindylows. To the front of the house beyond the lawn stood thick woods of oak and pine that had no discernable path through and the height of the pines made broom passage unwise. The woods wrapped around the sides of the estate and blended into the copses. It was reputed that the Malfoys used either Trolls, Cerberuses or Wyverns (and possibly a mix of all three) as nighttime guard animals. After the disaster that was the raid of Blackthorne hall, the Order of the Phoenix team was paying close attention to these details.

All that led up to this evening's intelligence gathering mission. Connie had been adamant when briefing the team members, "You are to gather intelligence, not kill everyone there" and here she pointedly looked at the Potters. "Get us the recon data we need to return in force to properly assault the facility."

Connie approached Harry and Hermione as they continued to run scenarios in their head while looking over the sand table. "Hey you two, come on over here." They followed the Head of the DMLE out on the porch where Connie put up an impressive array of privacy charms. After that was all settled, she said "I wanted to give you these" and she reached into her robes and pulled out two flip wallets and handed one to each of them. Inside were Auror badges with a photo ID indicating they both held the rank of Lieutenant. At the questioning looks, she said "If the shit hits the fan again, it'll be legal. If you ever have to explain, you are special agents directly attached to my office. It's basically what my role was before I became Head Auror. Alastor has been brought out of retirement as a Captain, the Weasley boys are senior DMLE officers and Remus is even an Inspector in the Aurors." With a smile and a small snicker she said "Snuck that one by Amelia."

Shrugging, Harry put his ID in his pocket and said "You know that Cuchulainn is going to be circling overhead or nearby all evening in case things get really ugly. Nice to have your friendly neighborhood Razortail around to bail us out if we get stuck."

Connie nodded and moved away to find Remus before they left. Harry looked at his wife with a hint of a smile. You ready?

She smirked at him. Yeah, this is what we've been training for isn't it?

Harry ran his hand through his hair for a moment before pulling her close. I know I should be worried about you getting hurt, but I'm not. Your probably the best or second best fighter in this house right now and I'm including Connie, Remus, Alastor and Dumbledore as behind you. He paused for a moment. Does that make me a bad husband because I'm not worried even though I know you can more than take care of yourself?

Hermione snuggled in closer to her husband and smiled into his chest. No, love, it doesn't. It makes me love you all the more. You're the best. With that fluffy thought, they adjourned inside to cuddle on the couch for a bit before they left.

******Malfoy Manor, Wiltshire 0245 29 June 1995******

The reconnaissance team of Harry, Hermione, Remus, Alastor, Bill and Sirius portkeyed into the southern edge of the Malfoy estate without a sound. Per their plan, the three Animaguses immediately transformed and began to spread out. Their enhanced senses would help detect anyone or anything approaching. Ghosteyes went west while Raksha sidled east. Padfoot stayed in the general vicinity of the team and patrolled south, as Bill began to work the wards to open a temporary breach.

As Alastor and Remus watched over Bill, Ghosteyes padded along, senses alert. Nothing here. You?

Raksha paused. Wait. Smell something.

Ghosteyes stopped. Looking around he heard nothing and lifted his nose to the wind. Still nothing. With an impatient, low growl, he turned toward his mate and started to lope her way.

Harry. This caused him to break out into a run. She never used his name when in their wolf forms. We have Trolls over here.

How many? He went from the easy lope of the wolf to a flat out sprint through the hardwood forest, not heeding any noise he was making. He heard Padfoot off to his right start to run his way in response to all the noise.

Not too many. I've got two down hard, about five more to go. Transforming back now.

As Ghosteyes came into the clearing where Hermione had been battling the Trolls, he assessed the situation in a glance. On the edge of the clearing, were two Trolls bleeding to death, their throats ripped out, while one was almost decapitated. Hermione had the Eryr Ewin in hand and had just cut off the leg of the Troll in front of her. She wheeled like a dervish to parry the strike from the spiked mace of the Troll to her right.

Harry did something they had practiced incessantly with Cuchulainn as he leapt with all the strength he could toward the huge man-shaped beast that was attempting to attack Hermione's blind side. He transformed mid-leap while drawing his sword. With a quick pass of his blade and a grunt, another Troll hit the ground with a thump without its head.

Behind him, Harry heard Hermione strike home with her blade while he turned to his left and saw a huge flail coming at his head. Immediately apparating right behind the attacking Troll, Harry thrust with the Danio Tymestl, severing the beast's spinal column above its waist. With control over its legs gone, the Troll fell to the ground where Harry finished it with a thrust to the back of the skull.

Shifting to his right to clear his lane of fire, Harry flung out his right hand, sent a wandless Piercing charm at the sole remaining troll, and drilled a hole about the size of a beer can in its forehead. It paused for a second, almost comically considering whether loss of brain function really mattered before it fell back, dead.

Harry looked over and saw Hermione dispatching the legless Troll. He cast a quick Cleaning charm on his blade to clean it up before sheathing it and walked over to his wife. You Ok?

Hermione cleaned her own sword and sheathed it with the hiss of steel on leather. Yeah, come here.

Harry ambled over to his wife with a big grin on his face. I must be a pervert, but you have never looked so hot as you do right now. If Malfoy and maybe Voldiepants weren't three hundred yards away I'd have you right here.

Her only response was to pull him close and plant a searing kiss on him. When we get home, lover. Come on. She transformed back into Raksha and they started back toward Bill, Remus and Alastor. They passed Padfoot just as he entered the clearing. He looked at them in confusion, before turning and following.

The three canines approached the human members of the team and saw a bright glow. Returning to their human forms, they saw Bill working his wand feverishly while Alastor and Remus placed ward stones at the Curse Breaker's feet. An oval breech in the wards was right in front of him and the effort to keep it open until the ward stones were in place and energized was telling on the redhead's face. Sweat poured down his face and his shirt, while brown when they left, was now soaked through and appeared black in the moonlight.

Remus whispered in his hoarse undertone "Ok, Bill, energized and ready. Go ahead"

The eldest Weasley exhaled loudly and his arms dropped, but the glowing oval opening in the wards remained. Squinting into the light, he looked over the opening, did a few quick checks with his wand, turned to the others "Your turn", and promptly sat down on a stool he conjured on the way down. Alastor nodded to the other four. Because of his limited mobility, part of the plan was that he would stay and watch over the exhausted Curse Breaker until the others returned.

Sirius gave a jaunty wave, pulled out his wand and hopped through the breach. Remus rolled his eyes and followed his best friend. Hermione hopped through and before Harry followed, he called out with his mind. Honored One, can you hear me?

Yes, My Lord. Well done with the Trolls. I am dealing with the evidence of your activities and am standing by to assist if you need me.

Harry wrinkled his nose at the idea of Cuchulainn eating the Trolls. Hey, to each his own. Harry hopped through the breach and ran to catch up to the others.

They separated and disillusioned themselves once they cleared the woods. Harry and Sirius worked toward the east, Remus, and Hermione to the west. Looking everywhere, they could to take it all in, the two teams worked all the way around the grounds and met up in the rear of the house. Harry asked his unseen bride the question of the night. Anything?

Strangely enough, no. After the Trolls, I expected something. After a pause while they considered the many possible implications of the lack of opposition, they moved out for the next phase. Harry and Hermione were to approach the Manor house while Remus and Sirius were in overwatch. Sirius had objected, saying that he and Remus should go up to the house. Hermione had shut him up quickly by pointing out that she and Harry could defeat anyone in the room without breaking a sweat and on top of that, could communicate silently.

Working their way through the gardens, they heard nothing outside of the normal sounds of the night. They emerged from the high hedge wall separating the gardens from the house and moved much slower in case of a sentry. Seeing and sensing nothing, they split up and circled the house. Noting all the exterior doors, they moved silently. A few minutes into their movement, Harry called out to his wife. There are huge doors on this slope away from the eastern side of the house. Like hugely oversized storm cellar doors. Harry concentrated for a quick second and his Avatar moved out from him and tried to penetrate the doors. Failing at that, the Avatar tried to penetrate the ground next to the doors with similar results. This can't be good. I can't get through with my Avatar either. Moving on. They met in the front of the house with nothing else of note, then finished their circle of the house, moving back to Sirius and Remus through the gardens. Remus and Hermione now moved back to the ward breach via the eastern side of the grounds while Harry and Sirius egressed on the western side of the grounds.

Passing back through the ward breach, Sirius pulled out his wand, paused and waved it followed with a quick jab causing the glow from the ward breach to extinguish, while maintaining the breach itself. Nodding to himself, he turned around and grabbed the rope they were using as a portkey. Two heartbeats later, they were all gone.

******Charon House, Cumbria 0350 29 June 1995******

As soon as they reappeared from Wiltshire, Connie approached the four members of the reconnaissance team with vials. The all placed their wands to their heads, extracted their memories, and placed them in the vials. Connie handed them to Kingsley who left to take them to an operative in the Department of Mysteries who would use the memories and details to make an enormous magical sand table of the Malfoy estates by sunrise.

Alastor helped Bill upstairs to a bedroom to get some sleep while the others moved over to the couches for debriefing with Connie, Amelia, Albus and one man that Harry did not know. Harry extended his hand to the unknown man and said "How do you do, I'm Harry Potter."

The man took his hand and with an amiable smile said "Major Darren McGrath, Operations Officer, Twenty Second Regiment Special Air Service. How do you do My Lord?"

With surprised faces, the four turned to Connie who smiled "The SAS is going to be giving us a bit of a hand. After a bit of testing, we've found that muggle bullets pass right through wards, so Major McGrath is going to be setting up teams of snipers around the Malfoy estate for us. Also, his senior officers and enlisted men, along with members of the Parachute Regiments, will be in the rear of the assault to observe any fighting that occurs to evaluate the best way to incorporate them into the overall campaign plan against Voldemort."

Nodding, Harry and Hermione then began their debrief. After describing the Troll skirmish, Albus, Amelia and Connie were wide eyed and Major McGrath confused. To help illustrate, Hermione placed her memory of the Troll fight in the pensieve on the table and they all watched it in presentation mode. Afterward, Major McGrath looked to the Potters wide-eyed and said "Two things. That bloody device" and pointed at the pensieve "is absolutely brilliant and I want one. Second, I would go into battle with you two at any time in any place."

With a bit of blush staining his cheeks, Harry continued the narrative until he got to the oversized storm cellar doors. "I don't know what they contain, but they are heavily warded. They could simply be an exterior entrance to the sub-basements of the Manor house or a gate to let something out. When the map gets back you'll see what I mean."

Harry got up and turned, pulling his wife up after him "We're knackered. See you all in the afternoon." As they headed toward the apparition point, they were shocked to see Marcus walking in the door, looking a little worse for wear.

The Dhampir saw his former pupils approaching and said "I have found Sofia. She was severely injured, but I have taken her to the Manor to heal. What is afoot?" After Hermione gave him an overview, Marcus said "Let us get back to the Manor, and you can get some sleep. Tomorrow night, we hunt together.'

******Credenhill, Herefordshire (HQ 22 SAS) 1200 29 June 1995******

"Magic?" the Sergeant Major said scornfully. "Sir, you are telling me that this Voldieshit that slaughtered those poor fucks at Wembley is a magician and all the Death Eaters are magicians too? Sir, have you submitted yourself for a drug test lately?"

A deep bass voice from the back of the room said "Actually, we call ourselves Wizards and Witches, but other than that, you are correct in essentials." Kingsley Shacklebolt stepped out of the shadows in the back of the packed briefing room and made his way to the front. Connie had chosen him to brief the non-magical forces because of his muggleborn background and because his father had been in the British Army.

He made his way up to the small briefing stage and motioned for the Sergeant Major who had been so sarcastic to stand. With a quick wave of his wand, he transfigured the chair the Sergeant Major had been occupying into a crow that flew around the room before he stunned it, summoned it to him and then reversed the transfiguration. With a small smile, Kingsley looked around the room full of nonplussed soldiers and said "Are there any other questions on the existence of magic and of Witches and Wizards." Getting no response, he continued in his businesslike tone "No? Very well, then. So, as the Colonel was saying tonight we will be doing a spot of hunting for the bad guys, and they are Wizards…"

******Charon House, Cumbria 2045 29 June 1995******

The assault force from the Order of the Phoenix and the British Army stood around a copy of the grounds of Malfoy Manor as Remus went over the battle plan. "…the SAS snipers will be here" and he indicated with his wand "here and here and are designated Sniper1, Sniper2 and Sniper3. We will have communications to them via the Communication charm and from them via their DMLE team members. They will have a DMLE officer acting as an escort in case Death Eaters or something else gets too close and of note, they have orders to only fire upon identified Death Eaters. After a bit of persuasion" and all laughed after hearing about Kingsley's performance earlier in the day "the snipers are now true believers in magic. We've even told them about the dragon so that if he shows on the battlefield, they don't fire on him. I doubt that the guns would kill him, but it could hurt him. So to reiterate, we" and Remus indicated the gathered group "will Portkey to the grounds at this location near where Bill opened the wards last night, arriving at 0050 and are designated Phoenix Team. I am the Team Leader, Kingsley is in overall command of the operation. We have had surveillance on the area since our egress last night and the ward breach has not been visually sighted by anyone from the house. The House is occupied by as few as twelve persons and as many as fifty. Other than the seven Trolls killed last night, we have no confirmed presence of magical creatures on the grounds. Be very aware."

"Gentlemen" here Remus directly addressed the non-magical warfighters "if your wizarding escort tells you to move, you must obey. It is for your own safety. If you cannot perceive a threat it is probably because it is a magical creature that you are unable to see."

Resuming the briefing, the werewolf said "The Aurors will arrive here and here at 0045 with Auror Assault groups Alpha and Bravo" and he indicated two locations southwest of the house "and the DMLE officers will arrive here, here and here at 0050 with Officer Assault groups Charlie, Delta and Echo" and he indicated three points southeast of the house. Bill and two other Curse Breakers from Gringotts will bring the wards down hard and fast at exactly 0100." Everyone blinked at that. Apparently the Goblins were coming off the fence if they were sending two Goblin Curse Breakers to assist Bill. "The non-magical observers will be our responsibility to ensure their safety. For the magicals present, the SAS and Paras will be armed, so be aware. The assault force will be using a pincer movement on the house, being extra careful of the doors on the east side of the house. Be on the lookout for massed Dementors. I wouldn't put it past Voldemort to have those doors be a gate from a Dementor pen."

"You four" Remus said indicating Harry, Hermione, Marcus and Dumbledore "are to be ready to apparate to any trouble spot. You are being considered the tactical reserve. Assault from due south, but be ready to go anywhere for any reason. Kingsley and Connie are currently briefing the Aurors and DMLE officers, after which we are all in lock-down and no one leaves their jump off point. Are there any questions?"

******Malfoy Manor, Wiltshire Phoenix Team Jump Off Position 0055 30 June 1995******

Harry and Hermione were in a group with Marcus, Jamie, Sirius and Remus, quietly watching the Curse Breakers performing the initial stages to bring down the wards. Bill was in the center and to the west they could see his first Goblin compatriot and if they craned their necks, they could see the other to the east. They were working in concert after arriving two hours before to run diagnostics and prepare their plan.

Surprising Harry, the non-magical warfighters were not nervous; in fact, they even looked a bit bored. Harry had asked Major McGrath about their nonchalance and got a gruff laugh in return. "My Lord, this is probably our fifteenth live assault this year alone. One becomes inured after a while."

The group of five monitored the progress of the Curse Breakers while watching the Manor house and hearing the reports coming in from the sniper teams as they set up their positions and called in any sightings via their magical cohorts. So far, no human or beast had been sighted on the grounds. Dumbledore apparated in silently from the Alpha and Bravo Team positions where Kingsley was in command, Harry looked at him for any sign of trouble and received a confident nod in return.

All was silent. A slight breeze was blowing in from the west carrying the smells of a summer forest. The night was warm, but not overly so. Harry was grateful for the relative coolness, as he and Hermione were both wearing their new dragon hide armor under their robes. He had also purchased sets for Remus and Connie while Sirius had bought his own for himself and Loreena. With a smile, Marcus had declined the generous offer.

Finally, it was time. Bill looked right and left, apparently got confirmation and began the last wand movements before the night lit up for a moment like the day and the wards around Malfoy Manor crashed with a loud crack. A millisecond later sirens and alarms started blaring in the Manor house and all the lights turned on. Harry heard a muttered "Bloody. Fucking. Hell!" from behind him and then the not-so-silenced report of Sniper1 and Sniper3 firing, shortly followed by Sniper2. Phoenix Team started to move north, toward the house. Harry heard "Target identified, Death Eater" announced three times in a belated notification from the sniper teams. The firing continued, and when it stopped, Harry figured the sniper teams had fired a dozen or so times.

Alpha and Bravo Teams were slicing across the grounds at a slow trot in a chevron formation to refuse their left, meaning they had concentrated the bulk of their people on the west side of their group, knowing that Phoenix team was on their eastern flank. Charlie, Delta and Echo were doing the same, but they were refusing their right, while maintaining a heavy force up front as they approached the ominous eastern side of the Manor house. Everyone was very afraid of the doors.

Harry, Hermione and Marcus all had their swords in hand while the magical members of Phoenix had their wands in hand. The SAS and Paras were following with submachine guns up and scanning as they easily kept up with the pack. Harry scanned left; nothing. Scanning right; nothing. Looking up, he looked right into the eyes of the lead diving Harpy; arms outstretched, eyes blood red and glowing with yellow teeth protruding from its mouth like a Tiger Shark. A quick glance and he saw that there were dozens of the blue-skinned demi-demons diving on all three assault forces. Harry performed the fastest Sonorous charm in history and screamed "UP, LOOK UP! HARPIES!" followed by a devastating wandless Blasting curse that exploded the attacking beast.

It was somewhat hard to see the blue-skinned demi-demons and their black bat-like wings, and the teams filled the air with a covering fire of Blasting, Reductor and Cutting curses, hoping to score a lucky hit. Some did. Most didn't.

The Harpies swept in, with their incredible strength, grabbed assaulting team members, and sunk their teeth in their victim as soon as they took flight, tearing out their throats. Gaining altitude, they dropped the corpses on the beleaguered teams and then swooped in for another kill.

After the first pass, Harpies began to fall to well aimed, concentrated fire. Blasting curses seemed to have the best effect as cries of "CONFRINGO" were ringing around the grounds of the Manor. The staccato chatter of automatic weapons fire reverberated in the air as the non-magical weapons seemed to hurt the Harpies enough to slow them down, making them an easier target.

The teams continued to make their way slowly to the house as Harry shouted "COVER ME" and sprinted out in front of all the groups. After a heartbeat of astonishment at the rashness of her husbands plan, Hermione sprinted right after him, promising to herself to kick his butt later.

As the Harpies saw the duo all alone out in front of the masses of people, they rallied to Harry and Hermione like moths to a flame. Casting a strong shield over himself and his wife Harry reached out mentally to feel her presence. You ready? I've got right.

Ready, I've got left.

Go.

The Potters put both their hands up in the air with palms out and cast a wide beamed Blasting curse that in a split second turned the massed Harpies into so much hamburger. Hermione then swept her hand in an arc across the sky and the gore and mess disappeared. With a surprised look on his face, Harry turned to his wife. What? Did you want to get covered in all that mess? Just a simple Vanishing. Nothing to write home about. Harry laughed as she muttered in her thoughts to him.

Phoenix Team caught up to them and the Auror and DMLE forces quickly reformed their assault and pressed on to the Manor house. Suddenly, the Sniper teams began firing as one. "Death Eaters and …Something, Multiple Targets" were heard.

Turning around and facing the Manor house, Harry said more to himself than anyone around him "Holy Mother of God. What is that?"

Marcus was at his shoulder and said dispassionately "A Nundu. Call for Cuchulainn, this is beyond you."

The huge Black Panther the size of an elephant had come out from the opened doors with Death Eaters trailing at a distance. Its virulent breath which could decimate a village, cast a visible miasma in front of it as it approached. The panther almost lazily stalked toward teams Charlie, Delta and Echo in front of it, its tail twitching from side to side in anticipation of the fight to come. Harry could hear in the back of his mind Sebastian Crawley, the commander of the DMLE forces, screaming for a retreat. Honored One, we have a Nundu down here that I cannot defeat. We need you!

I am coming My Lord. Can you and your mate slow it down?

Harry looked to Hermione and saw her transform into Raksha. Harry turned to Remus "We're going to try to slow it down until Cuchulainn gets here." Turning to his Godfather and former Headmaster he said "See if you can get a containment ward around it to protect everyone else from its breath. We'll be fine." At their hesitation, he shoved Sirius and shouted "MOVE! And keep those Death Eaters off our backs!" Transforming, Ghosteyes sprinted after Raksha.

The oversized panther was concentrating on team Charlie in front of it and never heard the charging wolf until it sprang. It turned its massive head as Raksha tore at its throat with her razor sharp fangs and powerful jaws. With its signature screaming cough of a roar, the panther reared and swung its forepaw at her as she passed, clipping her hindquarters and sending her spinning away. As it turned to pounce on the female wolf, Ghosteyes launched himself into its side, tumbling down the small hill with it, locked in a desperate embrace. Both animals were clawing at the other and Ghosteyes had just opened a gash in the Nundu's belly when it scored what would have been a skull-crushing blow to any other animal. To a Dire Wolf, with its regenerative powers second only to the Phoenix, it merely knocked Ghosteyes unconscious as he landed fifteen or so feet away.

The wounded Nundu sprang upright, as if it was fresh and hale and began to move toward the unconscious Ghosteyes when Raksha, the she-wolf, interposed herself between the attacker and her mate. Every nerve ending alight and ready, she faced certain death. Lips curled back in a rolling snarl, ears flat on her head and slaver running down her jaw, she prepared to kill or be killed by the deadly beast in front of her when it was engulfed in a white-hot fire.

With a roar the Razortail landed on the Nundu's back, talons tearing and ripping as it sunk its spear-like fangs in the burning fur of the panther's neck. The panther screamed, reared and rolled, trying to shake the dragon that had it in a death grip. After the second attempt to roll, the Mighty One jerked to the left, ripping the head off the panther. Cuchulainn lifted his head in a victorious roar, his foreclaws firmly clenching the body of his kill. He paused a moment before checking on his former pupils. Lupa, how is your mate?

Raksha looked at the dragon. He is waking now, Honored One. Thank you for your help.

The dragon grunted. Seeing Ghosteyes wake and after a moment, transform back into Harry, Cuchulainn took off to circle the Manor in case he was needed again.

Raksha transformed and Hermione gently grabbed Harry by the shoulders and looked him in the eyes. You Ok?

He shook his head, to clear the fuzziness. I'm good enough to keep going. Looking around he saw that the Death Eaters that had been escorting the Nundu were all dead. Since all the Ministry Teams were about to enter the house, Harry conjured a stool and sat heavily figuring his part in the evening's fun was over for now.

In the end, it had been Marcus who had single-handedly slaughtered the dozen or so Death Eaters trailing the Nundu. "He was amazing" said Remus who had just walked up to the Potters as they rested on the lawn. By now, the Manor house had been taken with no casualties, and the DMLE was searching the dungeons and house for any hidden spaces. Remus continued "He had his sword in hand and I couldn't even follow him, he moved so fast." Harry and Hermione smiled at each other over that statement. "He was casting with his off hand and using the sword with his right. It was an amazing display. Before the dragon even landed, the Death Eaters were dead. Amazing."

Shaking himself to recollect himself, Remus nodded at Sirius and Dumbledore who were conferring with Kingsley and Colonel Richfield of the SAS on the porch of the house "Those two over there, put up an incredible ward that confined all the virulent effects of the Nundu. Did it in seconds too. Sirius just barked a couple incantations at Albus like a question who nodded and they simultaneously cast the ward. Saved us all, no doubt."

Harry and Hermione walked up to the porch, passing at least twenty bodies in various death poses with bullet holes in their chests or heads. That was just the take by the snipers of the Death Eaters on the porch. The rest of the grounds were littered with corpses in a similar state. Turning to his wife, he said "Remind me to buy the snipers some really good beer tomorrow." She smiled at him and they joined the conversation that was in progress.

It turned out that Malfoy Manor had been used by Voldemort as the Death Eater basic training site. The house had been turned into an oversized barracks and the dungeons into classrooms and training facilities. The house had held over one hundred beds, and based on the casualty counts that were coming in, the Manor house had been close to full. "Looking at eighty seven dead, ten wounded for the Death Eaters" said Kingsley. With a sigh, he continued, "Twelve Aurors, twenty two DMLE officers and zero non-magicals were killed. Thirty-one Aurors wounded and fifteen DMLE officers wounded. Again, thankfully, zero non-magicals wounded."

Harry asked "Did we get anyone of note to get some information out of them?"

Kingsley shook his head. "The only inner circle person here was Macnair, but he was killed by one of the Colonel's snipers." Turning to Richfield, Kingsley said with a grin "Good work today Colonel. Your men are top notch."

After a pause, Sirius said "What about the family? Lucius, Narcissa or the boy, were they here?"

Again, Kingsley shook his head in a negative. "No, no one like that present so far." Turning to Remus, who had just walked up he said "Remus, how about you get Phoenix Team out of here. I'll get the SAS and Paras home on my own."

At Remus' nod, the Potters, Sirius and Dumbledore moved to their rally point to Portkey back to Charon House.

******Saint Mungo's Hospital, London 1235 30 June 1995******

Amelia Bones and Connie Hammer were visiting the wounded from the previous night's battle. Most were going to be on their way home in the next few days, but six of the Charlie Team members had been affected by the Nundu's breath before the containment ward was put up and their prognosis was uncertain. Until now, no one had ever survived an encounter with a Nundu, much less recovered from it.

Amelia and Connie had sent Kingsley home to get some rest, as he still hadn't slept yet. "We'll finish visiting the families here. Tomorrow, you and I can start the rounds of the other families" said Connie. The "other families" were the hardest. The widows and widowers. The orphans and other children asking when daddy was going to be home, with mother sitting at the kitchen table sobbing into her hands, unable to answer. Unable to face it.

Kingsley had nodded, sighed and said "See you tomorrow, boss" and headed down to the apparition point.

Connie was leaning on a wall as Amelia came out of the last room. Amelia looked her favored subordinate in the eye and said "Connie, we won last night. We struck a blow. It isn't pretty, I know, but it was a good thing."

Connie nodded "I know. This isn't new. I've visited scores of families when their loved one was injured or killed on the job. It never gets any easier, though." Amelia patted her shoulder and headed down the stairs, passing a frowsy Remus Lupin coming up.

Remus looked around, spotted Connie and headed over to her. Without speaking, he wrapped his strong arms around her and held her close to his chest. She snuggled in to him, drawing strength and reassurance. Even this hardened veteran of almost twenty years needed some warmth every so often. Speaking up without releasing her he said "Come on. We're heading back to your place to pack. I've talked to Sirius about you moving into the Manor for protection and he said it was no problem. `The more the merrier' I believe were his exact words."

Connie pulled back and looked at him through narrowed eyes. Remus gulped audibly and Connie had to swallow her laughter. "Mr. Lupin, why would I be moving in with you? A bit presumptuous, eh?"

On more familiar ground now, Remus put a considering look on his face and said "Well, you see there's this thing." Looking into her eyes with a serious expression, he continued, "I love you Connie. I can't stand the thought of you getting hurt. I know I can't shelter you" here he chuckled. "You'd kick my arse if I tried. But, this little thing. This I can do to protect you just a little bit."

She put a little half smile on her face and said "Plus, I'm in your bed every night, instead of just some nights."

With a big, Marauder worthy smile Remus said "Well, there is that, too."

They started to walk down the hall, arm in arm and she said "Did you bring any crates or boxes?"

He smiled down at her and said "They're already at your place. I started packing an hour ago."

A/N

1) I own nothing

2) Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite book in many ways. In other ways, Goblet of Fire ranks highly as well. This chapter title is, of course, homage to "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs" from book 3.

3) Recommendation for this chapter is Breach of Trust, from Hlpur, found on FF net.

-->