Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 4: Head of House and Hermione's Parents

I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love.

Edward, Duke of Windsor (Edward VIII)

Farewell broadcast after abdication

******The Leaky Cauldron Pub, London 1200 26 May 1995******

After finishing up with the Headmaster, Harry, Hermione and Sirius flooed to the Leaky Cauldron and had a few butterbeers to unwind, in preparation for an early lunch. Setting his drink on the table, Harry smirked, looked to his girlfriend who was sitting so close to him she was almost in his lap and said "If it's all right with you and Padfoot over there" glancing at his godfather "I'd like to get through the rest of today without any more earth shattering events please."

Sirius gave a great barking laugh, while Hermione smacked Harry with a backhand to the chest while grinning. "Ok then Mr. Smarty Pants, what are you having for lunch? Or is that too much to handle?" she laughingly said as old Tom approached.

Sending Tom on his way with their orders, Sirius looked suddenly grave and addressed his charges "Enjoy today, it's probably the last day for a long while where we will be able to go out without disguise for quite a long time. I figure that snake lips has only been back for a day and a half, so we should get a free pass. After today, though, no free passes. As Moody says, at least the real one, constant vigilance" said Sirius, draining his bottle. The teens nodded grimly in agreement. Sirius then said "I stopped by the house last night after you two went to bed and I am astounded how much better the place looks. My old family house elf must have died years before, because the house was pretty disgusting, but Dobby and Winky are whipping it into shape. Which reminds me, Hermione, do you think your parents would consider moving in for the duration of the war?" The three then discussed how to bring the Grangers into Black Manor at a minimal inconvenience to them. Private floo to the dental practice, warding a bedroom so electrical items can be used and so forth. Hermione thought it would be best to ask soon, so they saw the necessity of moving. "Fine, when we're done with Gringotts, we'll swing by their, what did you call it? Dental practice? Still don't know what they're practicing. I'd think they'd have it pat by now." Laughing the three left the Cauldron and the teens followed Sirius down the alley, arm in arm.

"Harry, this could be great, we could be living together!" Hermione almost squealed. "Do you think your parents would do it? And should we tell them that we are dating before, during or after the security discussion?" said Harry suddenly becoming very queasy and nervous as the fish and chips from lunch made their presence know in an unwelcome manner. Her dad is going to kill me. Not only am I dating his daughter, and wanting to do some very ungentlemanly things with her, but I am also putting her in danger by associating with her. Oh boy. Maybe I can meet him when I'm …forty or so.

Hermione looked at her pale boyfriend. Boys. "Love, daddy isn't going to kill you" she said in a half reproving, half reassuring manner "he'll follow mum's lead, and mum will love you. I do." she finished with a smile.

His heart threatened to leap out of his chest. He was still amazed that she even liked him `that way,' much less that she loved him. "Mione, you don't know how much that means to me when you tell me you love me. You may not believe it, but you are the first person that I remember telling me that they love me. I'm sure my mum and dad told me that when I was a little one, but not that I remember. In a strange way, I'm glad you're the first one" said Harry, tearing up a little. After she gave him a fierce hug, followed by a spine tingling, toe curling kiss, something occurred to Harry's partially functioning brain as they hurried to catch up with Sirius. "Mione, how did you know I was worried about your dad?"

With a confused look on her face, she responded "I don't know. I just knew you were worried about daddy. There was something else, but it's as if the thought is just out of reach. Strange, that, when I think about it."

Arriving at Gringotts, the three were escorted into an elegantly furnished conference room to await the head of inheritance division, Snagrat. Apparently, having two of their largest depositors waiting not only generated high level attention, but also short waiting times as the three milled about for less than two minutes before Snagrat entered with a well dressed goblin with multiple gold hoops in his ears and a heavily scarred face. "My Lord Black, Mr. Potter, allow me to introduce you to Goldbag, Deputy Director of Gringotts Banking International, and Clan Chieftain of Clan Steelclaw" said Snagrat.

At this, Sirius stood and swept a deep bow to the very senior goblin, Harry mimicked his actions as best he could, while still a bit clumsy. Hermione stood in the background and gave a deep curtsey, glad that she had worn a skirt today, instead of her usual slacks or jeans. Goldbag glanced at Snagrat in surprise "My Lord Black, Mr. Potter, welcome to Gringotts. I understand that today is an auspicious occasion, where you Mr. Potter will take up the mantle of Head of House. Congratulations, young sir" and Goldbag gave a deliberate nod to Harry.

Continuing to stand in the presence of the august goblin, Harry replied "My thanks to you Clan Chieftain, and I am honored by your presence and your words." At this Harry glanced over to Sirius and got a reassuring nod that this was the appropriate manner to deal with high level goblins. At least something from History of Magic penetrated and was worthwhile.

"Yes, well it is good to meet with the sprig of the nobility who are not only respectful, but also courteous. I am glad to have met with you Mr. Potter; or rather may I be the first to address you as `my Lord Potter'. I shall leave you in Snagrat's capable claws. Of note my Lord Potter, wizards are not the only magical peoples with seers" here Harry paled somewhat "I, and I am sure Ragnok would be most interested to meet and have a discussion with you in the near future. Good day" and he imperiously swept from the room.

As Snagrat walked Goldbag out of the room, Hermione spun to Sirius as Harry walked up and hissed "What the hell was that, and who is Ragnok?" Sirius looked to him solemnly "Well, Ragnok is the head goblin. Kind of like the Chieftain of all the Chieftains and also the Director of Gringotts worldwide. A very important goblin. Hell, a very important being, goblin, muggle or wizard. As to what that was all about, what do you two think?"

Hermione was chewing on her lip lost in thought. At Sirius' prompt, she looked at the two dark haired wizards and said, "I think that they either know about the prophecy we were discussing earlier today, or they have their own of similar nature. Probably the latter, based on Goldbag's statement about `other seers'. Umm, Snagrat is back" she said nodding to the goblin approaching behind Harry.

They all resumed their seats as Snagrat produced a small wooden box and a thick leather covered portfolio. "Mr. Potter, as my Lord Black assumed his rightful inheritance yesterday, we shall deal strictly with yourself. Here is your Head of House ring" and he gently pushed the small wooden box across the table to Harry. Here goes. Sliding back the cover of the box, a moderate sized gold ring was revealed, much in like to a signet ring, but with a crest, not a monogram. The crest engraved in the gold was a rampant lion facing to the right with a drawn sword held upright in its right forepaw. The ring itself looked to be freshly cast, but exuded an aura of age. Something of my family. Something of the Potters. As he slipped the ring on his right ring finger, there was a slight yellow glow and the ring resized to be a comfortable fit. Snagrat immediately spoke up "My Lord Potter, that glow was merely the ring acknowledging you as the head of the family, as well as resizing. Nothing more."

Harry looked over at Hermione who had a big smile on her face. She reached over and grasped his left hand whispering "Does it feel good to connect with your family like this? It seems like it does." "Yeah it really does feel good. Like coming home" he replied.

Now Snagrat opened the portfolio and pulled out a large pile of parchment, placing a pile in front of Sirius, Harry and himself. "My Lord, as Lord Black is still your legal guardian, he will be privy to the following discussions…" at this Snagrat looked meaningfully at Hermione. Harry caught on quickly and said "Miss Granger will stay for all further discussions Snagrat, she is my consort." At this, Snagrat's eyes widened and Sirius looked up quickly, but said nothing. Snagrat looked to Hermione, "My apologies, my lady, for my impertinence. My Lord" addressing Harry again "shall we begin?"

So began a review of the Potter fortune; stocks, bonds, offshore investments, entrepreneurial ventures, liquid funds, commercial properties, residential properties and so on. Harry's head was spinning and Hermione had stopped processing the millions of galleons about twenty minutes beforehand when Snagrat summed up with "Do you have any questions my Lord?" Overwhelmed, Harry looked at Hermione and said "We've hit plaid" resulting in a fit of giggles from the muggleborn witch. Looking back to Snagrat Harry said after smiling a closed mouth smile, "Snagrat, thank you for such an accurate review. May your gold always flow. Who will be the esteemed goblin I shall work with as my account manager?" Snagrat then did the goblin version of a simper and replied "Ugluk, my Lord, shall be your account manager. All your correspondence, direction and activity will be his responsibility. Feel free to ask him anything."

Sirius looked to Harry and Hermione, motioning the teens to stay seated "Thank you for today Snagrat, may we continue to use this conference room for a short while?" At Snagrat's agreement, the three were alone again shortly. "Ok pup, let's talk emancipation. There are a lot of good reasons for it. With the wealth under your control, as well as, your role in the prophecy, some people like Dumbledore and the Ministry, will have designs on you and your activity. These interested parties could very well try to control and manipulate you to fulfill their agenda. Now don't get me wrong" he said to the concerned look on Harry's face, "I don't believe that Albus is evil or that he has malice in his heart when it comes to you. Some at the Ministry, though, I don't think I could say that about. But Albus, his big problem, as I see it, is that he loses the trees in the forest."

"He sacrifices the means for the end" said Hermione with a nod. Looking at Harry, she said "Love, you know how much I respect authority" here Harry snorted in amusement followed by a short glare from Hermione, "but I have to agree with Sirius. He left you with your relatives for all those years, because it was `safest' and he didn't really care, or your safety was not outweighed by your happiness. Also, I just don't trust the politicians to do what is right for you in the long run. I think you ought to exercise your Head of House right for emancipation."

Nodding, Harry looked at Sirius, and said "What do I have to do?" "Just some paperwork. If you'd like, I can bring it to you Monday or Tuesday after I pick it up at the Ministry" said his godfather. With a smile, he continued "so what's this about Hermione being your consort? Do you know what you did today?"

With a confused look, Harry replied "I just wanted Snagrat to not question her presence here." Reaching under the table for her hand, he said "I needed her to get through all this."

"Oh, I don't doubt that. If you hadn't spoken when you did, I was about to allow her presence, but kiddo, do you realize that by declaring Hermione your consort during an inheritance ritual, which assuming the Head of House ring is, you've taken the first step down a multi-stage path toward a formal betrothal to Mistress Hermione…what's your middle name?"

"Jane" said a stunned Hermione

"Mistress Hermione Jane Granger, daughter of …"

"Dan and Emma"

"Miss Hermione Jane Granger, daughter of Daniel and Emma Granger. It isn't a big deal. It's not binding legally, magically or even morally. As you saw earlier with all the `my Lords', the goblins are very much aware of, and almost revere, custom and etiquette. Snagrat, as head of inheritance, was obviously aware of this obscure custom. No big deal, really" Sirius finished with a huge smile on his face, thoroughly enjoying the situation. He felt like Harry and Hermione had pranked themselves.

Harry looked at Hermione with wide eyes. Her father is going to kill me. "Harry, it's Ok with me that this happened, unintentionally or not" said Hermione in a small voice. Sirius then stood and busied himself looking out a window. "I love you, and have for quite a while now. I don't want to get married any time soon; I mean I'm only 15, almost 16. But eventually, someday could I see us getting married? Yeah, I can." Hermione started to look up with fear in her eyes at what Harry's reaction would be. Is he going to run? Will he think I'm a gold digger or just a psycho and push me away? Why did I have to open my big mouth? As her worries reached this point she was engulfed in a hug from her boyfriend who whispered into her ear, "I feel the same way. You're my best friend, and remember that great bum of yours" to which she chuckled "but seriously, someday, when we're older, I can see us like that too."

"Come on Sirius" said Harry standing up, "let's go get us an Orb."

******Ministry of Magic, Ministers Office, London 1445 26 May 1995******

"No damnit Albus, I will not just announce He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's return cold! Not only is it political suicide, there would be mass panic!" shouted a beleaguered Cornelius Fudge.

Director of Magical Law Enforcement Amelia Bones looked wearily at the Headmaster of Hogwarts. "Albus, on this matter, I agree with the Minister. I believe it would be unwise to announce Voldemort's return like you propose. However," here she glared at Fudge "I also think it is hopelessly irresponsible to cover up the whole affair, and all its consequences."

Fudge, Dumbledore, Bones and Head Auror Rufus Scrimgeour had been discussing courses of action since early morning. They had been examining actions for the short term and long term in response to Voldemort's resurrection in the aftermath of the third task of the Triwizard Tournement, and Dumbledore refused to budge from his full disclosure stance. It had been Fudge's initial desire to suppress all news and try to hope things wouldn't get too bad. Ten minutes into the conversation, the Head of the DMLE and her Head Auror had disabused him of that pipe dream. Amelia Bones had been trying to persuade the Minister and Chief Warlock to budge from their polar opposite positions all day. She and Scrimgeour had talked long into the night the previous day on the big question: What to do? They had come up with this compromise solution, that they felt worked best in the short and long term.

Before lunch, Bones had been able to convince both men into increasing funding for the DMLE to grow the ranks of Aurors and DMLE officers. Dumbledore and Fudge had agreed to use their considerable political clout to gain support in the Wizengamont for a supplementary funding bill with follow on support in future years to sustain the growth in personnel. The politicking in the Wizengamont was not for the faint of heart.

Amelia looked at Scrimgeour and they both grimaced. Addressing the Minister and Chief Warlock she began "Gentlemen, if I may propose…"

******Granger Dental Practice, Cambridge 1600 26 May 1995******

Since Sirius had never been to the Grangers' workplace, he couldn't side along apparate Harry and Hermione, so they took a combination of 2 trains and a cab to get there, the teens spending an enjoyable couple of hours getting to know Sirius better. Harry was still somewhat shell shocked over the resplendent wealth that resided in his family heirloom vault. Rolled up tapestries by the score, enough paintings, muggle and magical, to fill a museum, two small chests full of loose gemstones, and Hermione's favorite: crates and crates of books. Sirius and Harry had to almost physically pry her away from the books once they'd found the innocuous orb in a glass box with brass corners. The orb itself looked like a hugely oversized saltwater pearl, roughly the size of a cricket ball. No moving figures within its depths and no sudden realizations or activations of hidden power. Just an apparently enormous pearl. The family grimoire was shrunk by Sirius and went in Harry's pocket. There was a security charm on it so that all the pages appeared blank to anyone not a Potter by birth or marriage. Even then, only the wife of the Head of House could read it, as the Potter Head of House was patrilineal.

Sitting in the waiting room of the dentists' office, Hermione did her best to explain to Sirius what her parents did for people. "Teeth Healers" made some sense, but as powerfully magical humans did not experience tooth decay, a cavity made no sense to Sirius, much less a root canal. After fifteen minutes of fruitless explanation, Hermione stood up in frustration and went to check on how much longer before her parents where available. Harry looked over at Sirius and silently tossed him a magazine. Sirius looked at the cover with raised eyebrows and muttered, "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, hmm." Silence reigned until Hermione returned with her parents twenty minutes later.

"Sirius, put that down" snapped Hermione. "Harry, Sirius, these are my parents, Dan and Emma Granger. Mum, dad, this is Sirius Black and you've met Harry before in Diagon Alley. Sirius is Harry's godfather, and Harry is my boyfriend." With no little trepidation, Harry reached out to shake Emma Granger's hand. Easiest first, now the dad. Harry then swapped with Sirius and approached Dan Granger. Strangely enough, he was actually smiling at Harry. "Harry, it's good to finally really meet you. The last time was what, 2 years ago in the alley? Hermione is always on about `Harry this' and `Harry that' in her letters. How are you?"

As Harry and Dan Granger were getting acquainted in a friendly way, Hermione was getting cornered by her mother, while Sirius returned to his magazine. "So, tell me about this new boyfriend sweetie!" gushed Emma. "Mum!" replied an embarrassed Hermione. "You know he's been my best friend since the troll incident first year, and I've fancied him since second year and a couple of days ago we both were honest about our feelings and he asked me to be his girl. Not much to say." Emma raised her eyebrows at her daughter, "Ok, he's also a great kisser" said Hermione in a mortified undertone, "and no, we don't need to have that talk again. By the way, please talk to daddy about not going overboard with the protective father bit, Harry was terrified that daddy was going to kill him" said Hermione, effectively switching the topic. Looking over, the Granger ladies saw that their respective men were getting along well, and had pulled Sirius into the conversation and by the hand gestures; it appeared the two wizards were explaining Quidditch to Dan.

"Hey all" said Sirius, "what do you say we go to a nice quiet place for dinner and discussion on me?" Everyone quickly agreed and got in the Grangers' BMW sedan for a quick ride to a local Indian restaurant. Once ensconced at a table in the back of a mostly empty restaurant and making their order, Sirius began to explain to the Grangers about Voldemort's return, and the danger, not only to Hermione as a muggleborn witch, but to the Grangers' as her muggle parents. He went on to explain about Black Manor and inviting them to consider staying there for a period.

Before they could get any farther in the discussion, the hairs on the back of Harry's neck stood up and he drew his wand. All discussion stopped as Sirius and Hermione copied him. Calmly, Sirius said "What is it pup? Where are they?" Scanning the room, Harry looked to the front entrance to the restaurant and saw a flash of black and pointed, "There!" Within seconds the three Death Eaters had charged into the dining area and were spitting out curses at the five diners in the back.

Harry dove to his left, avoiding a bone-breaker curse, and intentionally took Dan and Emma down with him. Sirius swept away right, drawing fire away from the muggles and returning with blasting curses and cutting curses, bobbing and weaving to avoid the clumsy Death Eater fire. Hermione was casting a shield over herself and her parents while Harry stood back up. "Keep the shield over them, Sirius and I'll get these thugs" and Harry spun around, took aim at the nearest Death Eater, catching him unawares, and cast "REDUCTO", hitting him squarely in the head. As the red mist that was the former villains head began to clear, Harry saw that Sirius was in the process of casting the binding spell, "INCARCEROUS" on the last Death Eater. Apparently, Sirius caught contestant number two with a cutting curse to the neck and the corpse was making quite a mess.

The firefight had lasted approximately twenty seconds, but resulted in two deaths, an enormous amount of damage to the restaurant, and about 20 muggles that needed obliviating. Fortunately, with a series of `cracks' the Aurors made themselves known. Sirius then approached them to explain what had happened while Harry turned to Hermione and immediately said with a smile "I'm Ok, no need to see Madam Pomfrey" and was enclosed in the crushing grip of his girlfriends' hug, while her parents looked somewhat dazed.

After each of them explaining to the Aurors what happened, Sirius walked back over, holding something small and black in his hand. "I've shrunken your car so we can take it with us, I think it's time we get us all to someplace safe. Everyone please put your finger on this" and he held out a restaurant menu. Harry and Hermione complied, and the Grangers looked at him oddly, but complied also. Sirius tapped the menu once with his wand and said "ACTIVATE."

******Black Manor, London 2000 26 May 1996******

The Grangers, Harry and Sirius were sitting in the main drawing room trying to wind down after the brief firefight. Harry had a serious case of the shakes when they arrived and Sirius ordered brandy all around to Dobby, who had just apparated into the entry hall. As she cuddled with Harry on a couch, Hermione looked around the drawing room and noted that the room had quite a lot of potential for beauty. An enormous green marble fireplace was the centerpiece of the room while the front of the room had a row of French doors to the terrace that overlooked the back garden. The room was currently painted white and housing the most hideous furniture that looked to have been purchased by someone with very bad taste in 1785.

"You Ok now pup?" said Sirius cradling his brandy in both hands. "Yeah, or I will be. I killed a man tonight, not sure what to do with that" Harry replied soberly as Hermione clutched him closer. "Harry, did you want him to kill Hermione? Or her parents? How about me?" queried Sirius. "No, Sirius I didn't. I see what you're getting at, and I understand in my head that I was defending myself and others, but my heart sure doesn't feel that way" I feel like I murdered him.

Nodding, Sirius turned to Dan and Emma "I firecalled Albus about the events tonight, and let him know the kids will be staying here for the night. Just so we can unwind. There is plenty of room for you to kip here for the night if you'd rather not be bothered to head home."

Dan and Emma exchanged a look and Emma replied "Thank you very much Sirius, I think we will take you up on that offer and would like to finish our discussion about possibly staying here for a while. We will pay rent of course…"

"Pish tosh, you will not" said Sirius waving her off. "This is what friends and family does for each other." In an undertone he leaned into the Grangers while glancing at the teens "At the rate those two are going, we might be family after all" causing three big smiles on the adults faces.

"Sirius" said Hermione with Harry's head in her lap "what about the underage magic Harry and I did this evening? Are we going to get in trouble, or will common sense prevail and the Ministry realize we were defending ourselves?" Harry sat up at this comment. He'd been half asleep, but was now fully awake.

"I talked to the Aurors at the restaurant, as well as, Dumbledore about the underage magic thing. The Aurors said they'd straighten things out with Hopkirk when they got back; it was a clear case of self defense." Looking at Harry, Sirius continued "That also applies to our actions regarding those three scumbags too."

"Sirius, what about the portkey? I didn't think you were authorized to create portkeys?" said Harry. "Sorry kiddo, part of your training as a Head of House is to learn that we now have certain rights, like making portkeys. I'll teach you tomorrow how to do it. And yes Hermione, I'll teach you as well" replied Sirius to his godson and his excited girlfriend. Harry laid his head back down and snuggled back into Hermione's lap to sleep and perchance, to dream pleasant dreams.

A/N

1) I own nothing

2) Yes, Snagrat and Goldbag are a deliberate mix-up of Shagrat and Gorbag. If you don't know who Shagrat and Gorbag are, shame on you! Same thing with Ugluk.

3) I realize Harry probably didn't see "Spaceballs" growing up in the Dursley's, but I couldn't resist the "plaid" joke. A buddy of mine at work and I use that with each other quite often.

4) I have no idea if there is a British version of SI, and don't really care. It set up a funny situation that I can believe Sirius would be in. The guy was in prison for 13 years for cryin' out loud, what do you expect?

5) Tip of the cap to Seel'vor for his emancipation/Head of House/portkey tie in idea. By the way, if you haven't read "Harry Potter and the Quantum Leap" go read it now. Right now. Go on, go. That has just the right amount of romance (remember romantic here) and humor. I swear, I laugh out loud remembering some of the hijinks he plays on Ron, much less when I'm reading it. I had to stop reading because I was laughing so hard I was crying while reading the commentary by the twins & Lee Jordan when Ron got hit in the face twice during an UQL game. Good stuff. It's also the story that best involves Hedwig - she's doing the cha cha!

6) Yep, Harry and Sirius are playing for keeps. Sirius just spent 13 years in prison & learned that the really bad ones, don't really reform. They just wait until they can get away with it again.

7) Someone gets the brass ring if they get the allusion in the last line.

8) I love Indian food.

-->