Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 17: Preparations

"One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and four to go"

Anonymous

******Glendalough Ancient Monastic Site, County Wicklow, Ireland 1300 31 July 1995******

Harry and Hermione slowly walked down the gravel path leading from the ruined monastic city that was once one of the major centers of learning and devotion of the Christian faith during the height of the dark ages. It is said in the circles of those who know, that the Irish saved Western Civilization due to cities like Glendalough and Clonmacnoise in County Offaly.

Now all that was left of a once great and thriving city settled in the heart of the mountains in County Wicklow was ruined stone walls, a crowded graveyard and a round tower. Many Saints are purported to have lived there and tourists come for the show of faith by the inhabitants as well as, the archeological aspects of the once proud city. The Potters were there because Glendalough is in one of the most beautiful and romantic areas of the world. Nestled in a snug valley with steep sides, Glendalough has a swift moving stream running on its southern edge. Cool, clear mountain spring fed water that ran into two impossibly beautiful lakes. When there was no wind, as there was now, the lakes were as flat as glass and clear as new cut crystal, perfectly reflecting the tree-filled sides of the valley. Harry stopped and pulled his wife into the shade of the trees and whispered in her mind. Listen.

Hermione bent her head and heard it. The tinkling of silver bells as small rills of water ran down the hillsides to feed the stream. Her face softened and she looked up into the eyes of her husband. He put his arms around her waist and held her loosely. I love you with all my heart Harry James. Gently she cupped his cheek and then slowly pulled him down to her lips for a smoldering kiss.

Harry and Hermione were taking a few weeks off at the recommendation of all their family and friends. They'd been in three significant engagements and taken their OWLs and NEWTs as well as other minor things like purchasing the daily newspaper for the British wizarding population, saving the Monarch, assuming their hereditary peerage and taking a seat in the Wizengamot. Dan had handed his daughter and son-in-law a Michelin guide, a stack of Euros, and a map of Ireland and said "Start in the Ring of Kerry, it's beautiful this time of year. Work your way across the southern counties, but you have to see the Castle in Cahir, the Rock of Cashel and stay in Kilkenny overnight. We'll see you on the first of August. Best go pack" and with a smile had walked away.

They had stayed in bed and breakfasts across southern Ireland and had relished the anonymity of traveling and living in non-magical society. After seeing the beautiful ruins that sit atop the Rock of Cashel as per Dan's suggestion, they'd walked down the hill and Harry was frantic to find a loo, as they don't have any up at the top as the entire area is consecrated ground. Regardless of the reason, Harry was frantic while Hermione was starving. They were able to satisfy both needs at a small restaurant called Ryan's Daughter. The proprietress sat them next to a turf fire to dry out their wind cheaters from the morning rain and when Harry got back to the table, Hermione was asking "What is in the Shepard's pie?" to the lady. She was referring to which vegetables were in the dish. Harry almost fell out of his chair when the very proper Irishwoman looked at Hermione as if she were daft and said to the poor English lass "That'd be mince, dear."

Back in Glendalough, they continued down the path toward the lakes. Harry was enthralled with being a young man on holiday and in love with the woman of his dreams. Life couldn't get much better than that. Except maybe "Mione" he said softly "What do you think about children?" At her confused expression, he said "I mean us having children."

Her soft smile lifted the trepidation from is heart and she said "Well I'm thinking two or three after the war is over. Probably have them within a couple of years of each other so they can grow up together." Smiling saucily at him she said "But other than that, I haven't thought too much about it. Oh, and names. I'm thinking for our eldest boy, he should have Harry as a middle name. You are Harry James, your dad was James Charlus, your granddad was Charlus Francis and so on. What do you think?" and she looked up into his eyes matter-of-factly and was surprised to see him teary eyed.

"I think we are going to apparate back to the B&B and start working on a kid, or at least practicing right now" and he took her in his arms and they apparated away without a sound.

A few hours later, they were cuddling in bed with Hermione resting her head on Harry's chest. Can we talk about where we live? She felt Harry's acceptance and pressed on. Don't get me wrong, I love living with our extended family. I know my parents better than I ever have, we have strong loving relationships with Sirius, Loreena and are getting to know Remus and Connie. Marcus is still "the Master" to me in many ways, but Sofia is great. She paused, collecting her thoughts. I just want our place. It's probably for the best that we stay at the Manor for now, you know, for security purposes, but eventually I want a place of our own. A place where we will have these babies and plant roots. Does that sound selfish?

Harry pulled her close and sighed the sigh of the contented. I want the same thing. I remember that I inherited some residential properties. Let's go look at them when we get back and see what's suitable. He paused for a minute, troubled. Regardless of it's state, I don't think that I could live in the house at Godric's Hollow.

Complete understanding filled Hermione. After all, would she want to live in the house where her parents had been killed? Not a problem at all, love. A flat would do. I just want a place with some bit of garden where the little ones can run and maybe even big enough for a Pitch.

Harry smiled broadly. You want a Pitch?

She playfully gave him a thump on the chest and smiled. Just because I didn't play while we were in school doesn't mean that I don't realize that other people like Quidditch. She ran her tongue up his breastbone and looked up into his eyes with passion. Now, husband, I need you again.

******Gringotts Bank, Diagon Alley London 1300 02 August 1995******

Harry and Hermione strode up to Ragnok's office, by now they knew the way unescorted. Stopping at the assistant's desk outside the leader of the Goblin nation's door, Harry smiled a toothless smile and said "Please inform Overlord Ragnok that Lord and Lady Gryffindor await his pleasure."

The Goblin's eyes widened and bowed quickly before hurrying into Ragnok's office. The door opened wide three seconds later with the assistant bowing so low his hair was dragging on the ground and motioning them in.

They walked in together and were surprised to see a long table set up running the lengthwise of the room and around it were clustered Ragnok, fourteen exotically dressed Goblins, Amelia Bones and Albus Dumbledore. Harry's stride paused a short moment before they continued into the office, toward the head of the table where Ragnok had just stood to greet them. Pausing about ten feet from the leader of all Goblinkind, Harry sketched a courtly bow, while Hermione curtseyed deeply and he said "Overlord, we came as soon as we could after receiving your request for our presence." Glancing around he continued "I hope that we are not intruding?"

Amelia and Albus smiled and Ragnok said "No, my Lord, we have been waiting for you and your mate." He indicated two chairs next to Amelia for them to sit in and said "We have had a convocation of the clans and have reached a decision." Looking around at everyone for effect, he said to Amelia "The Goblin nation would like to forge a wartime alliance with the Wizarding Ministry for Magic to fight the scourge that is being spread daily by Lord Voldemort."

Harry and Hermione were impressed that none of the rooms' occupants shuddered in any way. Most of the Goblins looked grim, but not angry at the situation. It looked like Ragnok had not had as much internal dissent as he had feared.

Continuing, Ragnok slammed his fist on the table, causing parchment and quills to jump in the air "This madman and his scum have dared to threaten three of the clan leaders of the glorious Goblin nation. This will not be born." He drew out his dagger, scowled around the room, and quickly drew it across his palm "I declare a blood war with the Wizard who calls himself Voldemort and his followers. The Goblin nation shall draw steel with the Wizards of the Light" the rest of the Goblins pounded on the table and roaring their approval. Ragnok held out his hand, clutched in a fist and the blue Goblin blood dripped onto the table.

Dumbledore's eyebrows were almost in his hairline while Amelia had the biggest grin on her face that she'd ever experienced. Harry glanced at his wife and after a quick counsel, stood and faced Ragnok. The room quieted and Harry held out his hand to Ragnok, who handed over his dagger to Harry. The Stormbrow cleaned the dagger with a quick charm and then held his left hand up high and cut it with the dagger. Holding his bleeding hand over the puddle of blue blood, he let his own blood intermingle and said loudly "As my blood mixes with yours here, so let your war be my war, my quest be your quest. I vow that I shall not forsake the chase until Voldemort is torn asunder." Now the Goblins, Ragnok included, all jumped to their feet and bellowed war cries. The pounding on the table cracked it down the middle.

******Ministry of Magic, Minister's Office 1000 04 August 1995******

Connie Hammer slumped into the Minister's office and sat in the chair proffered heavily. She looked at her boss of many years through bloodshot eyes and said "Nothing. Again. Everything we got from Dolohov and his merry compatriots has turned up nothing." She sighed and rubbed her face with her hands.

For the last two weeks, they had been running non-stop raids on locations they had developed from interrogations of the attackers of the Diagon Alley. Every night Aurors and DMLE officers had been knocking down doors and bursting in through windows. In most cases, they had found signs of recent habitation, and in one gem of a discovery, a warehouse in Birmingham had netted over one ton of potions ingredients of various types. This was all good, taking away safe houses and the potions ingredients were all damaging to Voldemort's efforts in the war, but the had no arrests to show.

Amelia looked across her desk at her obviously exhausted DMLE department head and said "Go home and sleep. That's an order, you've been pushing yourself too hard these last few weeks. I need you at your best and as worn out as you are, you aren't at your best. Let me worry about the press and the Prime Minister, you go home and sleep for twelve or so hours."

Connie walked out to dump her briefings and folders in her safe before apparating home. "I wonder if Remus is home, I could use a back rub" she wondered aloud. She frowned as her mind returned to work and their lack of leads. Shaking her head, she mused to herself "We need to find the bastards and hit them hard."

******Black Manor, London 1215 05 August 1995******

Sirius walked into the library, where his wife and Amelia Bones were chatting. They'd received an owl the day before yesterday requesting a meeting with them both and Sirius had Dobby deliver a portkey with his affirmative response.

Amelia saw him come in and rose, "Thank you for seeing me your Grace" she said with a bit of humor in her eyes.

Sirius laughed at her and said "Anytime, Amelia. What can we do for you" and they settled down, the Blacks on the sofa and Amelia in a chair facing them.

Amelia paused, gathered her thoughts and said "We are seeing the pureblood block starting to gather behind Alexander Blackthorne and we're losing votes." Sirius and Loreena nodded, remembering the Legilimancy and Veritaserum vote. Amelia continued "We need to regain some of the momentum with the pureblood block and I'd like you two to spearhead the effort."

At Sirius' look of surprise, his wife answered for Amelia "Love, you are the very pureblood head of an Ancient and Noble house married to an Avalonian Princess, we are the perfect people to try to take the lead of the pureblood block." Pausing, she then continued to Amelia "Of course, the Supremacist vote is lost to us. Thankfully, that is approximately fifty to sixty votes, depending on the issue at hand. That leaves one hundred to one hundred and twenty five votes for us to either gain sway over or at least influence."

Amelia nodded and said "What I'd like to do as a `coming out party' of sorts is for you two to host a Ministry Charity Ball at Hogwarts. My staff will do most of the arranging, but I need you two to be the face of the ball. Feel free to select or add on charities to the list as you see fit."

Loreena nodded and tapped her fingers on the arm of the sofa "Good idea. We'll do it." She paused and cringed a bit before looking at her husband. Sirius had arched his eyebrows imperiously and had tilted his head back so as to look down his nose at her.

"Is that so, wife?" he drawled at Loreena.

She narrowed her eyes at him at which he flinched and turned to Amelia who was smiling at the interplay. "Amelia" said Sirius, "We'd love to host the event for you."

Meanwhile in the drawing room, Harry, Hermione and Remus were talking about the Werewolf Foundation. Remus had a foot and a half of parchment in front of him and was talking to the couple about some of his ideas and the progress he'd made since they last talked.

"I've found a warehouse in muggle London, just a few blocks from the Leaky Cauldron, after some significant modification it could work well for our purposes" said Remus. He had been a proponent of a twofold solution to protecting Lycans and the people around them, when the moon was full and they change. In their original discussion, they'd thought that a large building with a series of secure rooms could be used for full moon nights. After some thought, and remembrance of the Marauder days, Remus proposed that they find an area they could heavily ward and use as a nature preserve of sorts for those who followed a strict regimen of Wolfsbane to run during their night.

Hermione nodded "I've talked with Ugluk about setting up wards around the moors we purchased and he is going to talk to the warding department and get back to us."

Remus checked another item off his list and then became noticeably uncomfortable. "The last thing, is something I really don't want to talk about, but I need to if we are going to go on."

Harry and Hermione glanced at each other in surprise and concern, sat up straight on the sofa, and leaned forward. Hermione said "What is it Remus? What's wrong?"

The Marauder rubbed the back of his neck and said with obvious discomfort "It's money. I need more, a lot more actually. The generous start up that you put in the Foundation vault is running out."

Harry and Hermione were dumbfounded and then Harry burst into laughter while it was obvious Hermione was trying to control herself. Finally, under the glare of the older man, Harry controlled himself and said "Remus, we had initially planned to allocate upwards of ten million galleons for startup and the first year or two for operating expenses" Remus' eyes widened and he just stared.

Hermione continued "The ten thousand galleons we initially deposited was just so that we could get moving and begin to find out what the scope of the effort would take. We also are going to need to get the word out about the foundation to try and get the donations to help support it." Turning to Harry she said "I filled out the tax-exempt forms from the Ministry, so the Foundation is now a Charitable Organization as far as taxes go."

Remus shook his head slightly and said with a bit of shyness "Well, I didn't imagine that response. I'm still not used to asking for and receiving money. Connie is working on my inordinate pride, but in this area I can still be a bit silly."

Harry frowned "Remus, this isn't about you. This is a business, and the business needs capital to thrive. So far, you have demonstrated sound business sense, creative solutions and a thriftiness that is comforting. We have no reservations about investing here, so let's get past this, shall we?"

Nodding his head, Remus moved to the next item on his list "I've found steady suppliers of Wolfsbane and also a provider of the ingredients for the potion. Now a comparison of the cost and effort between buying pre-made and brewing our own when we get competent brewers has revealed that it's cheaper, for now, to buy pre-made. However, once we have over one hundred Lycans to dose, we should start brewing our own. I propose…"

******Rowan Hill, Near Harlech, Gwynedd Wales, 1530 06 August 1995******

Harry and Hermione apparated silently to the coordinates on the list from Ugluk at Gringotts. They had visited two other homes and a townhouse in the West End of London so far today. They were all nice, but none really resonated as "home." All three had been rented out to non-magical families who had been surprised that the owners wanted to do a quick walk through of the house, but when Harry explained that he had just come into his inheritance (a minor lie, but effective) they had been very happy to show them around.

Now they were at the last of the residential homes listed only as "Rowan Hill" on their list. They had apparated to a small clearing in a lightly wooded glen. By the coordinates they knew that they were in western Wales and by the salt tang in the air, they were near the sea. To the east, they could see the western wooded slopes of the Cambrian Mountains. Following the pea-gravel path, they made their way in the direction of the house, or at least they hoped they were. Harry was in front of Hermione and she was distracted as they went through a thick grove of Rowan trees. The trees were in bloom, their small white blossoms providing a heady scent. Hermione was so taken up in the thick belt of Rowan trees that she failed to notice that Harry had stopped dead in the middle of the path. She inadvertently plowed into him, knocking them both down.

Hermione looked up, saw what Harry had been staring at, and mimicked her husband in his imitation of a fish. Rowan Hill was gorgeous, yet had an air that invited a young child to run down the hall with a streamer in his hand yelling for his daddy. The front of the house was in Louis XVI style and had two stories running out to either side from the formal entrance. The path ran right up to the front of the house, and then split to circle it. To the right was a large, wrought iron coach gate that had gold leaf on the griffin heads at the top of the iron bars.

Harry and Hermione slowly mounted the front steps and entered the massive oaken front door that opened silently at Harry's touch. They entered into a beautiful entry hall that had a small receiving room to their left and a cloakroom to their right. Directly in front of them were the staircase to the upstairs and the hallway to the downstairs rooms. The entire entry hall was constructed of off-white granite, the walls covered with colorful tapestries, and the floors with carpets. Looking up, they saw a beautiful stain-glass window at the top of the stairs that had a Griffin landing in it's nest with three nestlings.

Harry and Hermione looked at each other with blank expressions, looked around the entryway at the understated wealth and beauty. Looking back at each other, they burst into laughter. Harry held out his hand. Shall we explore, my Lady?

With a huge smile, she took his hand. We shall, sir. Laughter bubbled up occasionally during their tour. In the music room, everything was all light and decorated in pastel colors and tastefully apportioned antiques. The library was of darker colors and magically expanded so that they couldn't count all the books present after which Harry had to guide his excited wife out by the elbow. In the dining room, they found an enormous floating crystal chandelier and cherry table, which was watched over by an ancestor of Harry's, if the messy hair was any indicator. The tasteful elegance was repeated again and again throughout the house where beauty and comfort found a good match.

Entering the master bedroom they found a king sized bed set to the far left of the room with glass French doors leading out to a private terrace. Off to one side was a small office and breakfast room and to the opposite side was the Master and Mistress' dressing rooms. Hermione sat down on the Louis XIV settee in front of a large picture window that overlooked the reflecting pool and southern gardens and slumped back in awe at the welcoming elegance and beauty of the rooms they had toured. Harry sat next to her and looked around, his eye catching something underneath the sofa across from them. He rose and circled round the low tea table and got down on his hands and knees to fetch out what he had seen.

Hermione frowned. Love, what are you doing? She felt the shock from him and then a warm feeling - a feeling of excitement and decision.

Harry raised his hand and held up a half-chewed stuffed Hippogriff. He was smiling widely. This will be our home to raise our children and be a family. Any place this beautiful that still has this air of `home' and can have a stuffed Hippogriff, well, I want to live here. What do you say?

She smiled and embraced her husband tightly. Come on; let's look over our new home some more.

They walked out the back doors to the terrace that led to a lush green lawn with a view of Snowdon in the distance. They walked, hand in hand, lost in their thoughts as they approached a stone wall at the back of the lawn. Looking over, Harry saw that about ten yards from the other side of the wall there was a drop off of about forty or fifty feet to the waters of Tremadoc Bay, which emptied into Cardigan Bay. Looking to the north, Hermione saw steps cut into the cliff wall that led down to the sand and shingle beach below. Smiling at Harry, they walked back toward the house.

"I've remembered what the significance of the Rowan trees was" Hermione said. "The Rowan tree in non-magical lore is to protect a person from `witchcraft' in general, but the Rowan does have magical properties. When planted by the landowner, the Rowan will provide a weak protection against those who wish the landowner harm. It works similar to a muggle repelling charm if I remember correctly."

Harry's eyebrows shot up at this statement. There were scores of Rowans growing in a ring around the property that wasn't bounded by the sea. Most of the trees looked to be wild growth, but there were hundreds of trees in total. Looking around absently, he said "So with as many Rowan's that are growing here, there could be a significant ward?"

Hermione shrugged "I'm no expert, but when we get to school we can ask Professor Sprout about it. I'm sure she would know, or at least know where we can go to get the answer."

Harry paused, thinking. "We need to go to Hogwarts anyway. We need to start looking for Voldemort's anchor."

Hermione nodded, her mood settling down quite a bit.

******Potions Professor's Office, Hogwarts 10 August 1995******

Emma sat at her desk with piles of bound parchment surrounding her. She had insisted that Albus add more windows in her office, "I can't even see my hand in front of my face here" she had exclaimed when shown her new office. Albus had smiled and complied with her request. It had taken her two weeks to clear out all the…odd…things that Snape had kept in the office.

Now she found herself elbow deep in parchment accompanied by Minerva and Jamie, who were helping her along on the quest for completed lesson plans. She was using Severus Snape's plans as a starting point; time did not allow her to revamp the curriculum completely. Holding up the second week of fifth year, she commented to her friends "You know, these lesson plans are actually very good. Deliberately planned, very well documented with various notes of update based on his experience. I'm astounded that he was such a bloody prick in the classroom."

Two days before Harry and Hermione had left on their jaunt through Ireland; they had shown Emma quite a few memories in a pensieve of their experiences in Snape's potion class. To say that she was appalled is an understatement.

Minerva snorted and smiled, it was going to be a good year. She was going to be teaching with her husband and quite a few very good friends. Albus, well, she still didn't trust him at all, but she could work with him. "Yes, he is quite a brilliant man. Could do anything with potions, but was utter rubbish as an educator. Students feared him and he was a bully who seemed to thrive on the fear" she finished with some heat. Minerva frowned at her own vehemence. Maybe she hadn't forgiven Severus or Albus as much as she'd thought.

Jamie observed his wife with a concerned eye before saying to Emma "Are you going to keep the same books as Severus or change?"

Emma shook her head and said "No, it's too late in the summer to change, and they seem to be adequate." She sighed "Do you think it would be ridiculous for me to take my students on `little walks' like Cadfael did for me? I was thinking of asking Pomona if I could use her greenhouses as a demonstration ground for potions ingredients. Kind of tying Herbology and Potions together where they belong."

Jamie and Minerva both paused and seriously considered the question. It was very different than what any of the other Professors save Pomona and Hagrid did in their instructional style. Minerva said "As Deputy Headmistress, I think that is an excellent idea and encourage you to talk to Pomona. In fact, let's take a bit of a break and go chase her down now."

******Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts 12 August 1995******

Harry and Hermione sat in chairs in front of the Headmaster's desk, both of them in a foul mood. They had spent the last week scouring over Hogwarts looking for an object with a dim aura. As they walked in the main doors, they engaged their mage sight and wanted to weep. Everything had an aura. The portraits were slightly brighter than the castle's walls and general structure, while the statues that guarded the secret passages and office entrances were the brightest of all.

Not giving in to despair, they had started up in the towers and tried to logically look at the situation. They believed that Voldemort would use an item of significance. Albus had agreed with them on that point. A random stone or painting would be an unlikely choice. Therefore, they checked the obvious places: Tom Riddle's award cup for Special Services to the school, the entrance to the Slytherin dorms, the Slytherin house table, the sink that opened up the Chamber of Secrets. They had even gone down into the Chamber, as Hermione had never been there. Looking over the Basilisk, Hermione had commented, "When we get some time, we should render down the Basilisk bits and give some to Mum. Kind of like a `congratulations on getting the job' gift."

They had looked everywhere and nothing stood out from its fellows, which led them to their current position and disposition in the Headmaster's office.

"We've looked everywhere Albus" Hermione said. Rubbing her face, she continued, "Did you find a detection spell that we can use? We've already torn apart the Black family Library." They didn't mention that they'd searched the Potter family library as well, they wanted to keep Rowan Hill to themselves for now.

Albus shook his grizzled head in negation "I'm sorry, I've scoured the restricted section and my own private collection since your return from Avalon and have been unable to find even a hint of the concept, much less spells or processes regarding it. I even went through the confiscated library that was at Malfoy Manor. Nothing."

Hermione shook her head in frustration "There must be something we can do, we can't give up."

Albus paused, and said "There is a man I know who is an expert in Necromancy. He may be aware of a detection spell or other process by which we can find this anchor." Looking to Harry, he said "Would you mind if I asked him to join our hunt?"

Harry thought for a moment. It'd mean telling him about Voldemort. Oh, yes, we could use vague terms but any person smart enough to be an expert in Necromancy, is smart enough to pull that façade apart. Can you find a spell that will bind him to secrecy?

Hermione chewed her lip and then nodded. I know one that will suit.

Harry looked back up to the Headmaster who was looking back and forth between the Potters. "Go ahead, Albus, call in your man" deciding to be generous Harry added "Thank you for asking."

Albus nodded and then said "Forgive my curiosity, but were you two just engaging in mindspeak?"

Harry and Hermione nodded and the old man said "Fascinating. I, as you know, am an accomplished Occlumens and Legilimencer, yet I could detect nothing occurring outside of your facial expressions. What a wonderful ability to share with one's spouse. If you don't mind, could you tell me more about your bonding and the abilities that came with it?" he finished like a kid in a candy store.

Harry mentally shrugged to his wife who said "Well, other than mindspeak, we can also experience the emotions the other is feeling. For example, when Harry is angry, I feel his anger, but it's different from when I am angry in my own right. Also, we always know where each other is located and can apparate to each other without effort."

With childlike exuberance, Albus said "Wonderful. You are very fortunate indeed to share this. Before you go, there is one other thing I'd like to discuss with you regarding this year and your mastery candidate status.

"Since you will be acting in a professorial role on many occasion throughout the school year, it is a standard procedure to make all mastery candidates in the school unpaid assistant professors. As such, you will eat at the head table; the students will address you as `Professor Potter' and you will have full discipline authority as any other professor." Albus fished out a pair of leather covered handbooks and gave them to his newest professors. "It will probably be difficult for some of the students to reconcile the `new' Harry and Hermione Potter with the `old' Harry Potter and Hermione Granger that left here some three months ago. "I am sure that the Prophet interview will have `greased the wheels' so to say, and I will introduce you at the welcoming feast. Would you like me to give a brief overview of your status or let it lie?"

After a moment, Hermione said "It would probably be best if you gave a quick overview and explain our status. I think we'd like to get it out of the way first thing."

******Ministry of Magic, Auror School 1000 15 August 1995******

As Matthew Witowski received his Auror graduation certificate and then walked off the stage, Amelia Bones thanked all the assembled family members who had gathered to witness their loved ones' graduation from the most difficult school in the magical world. The crowds dispersed and Amelia turned to Connie and Shack and raised an eyebrow at her Head Auror "Well, what do you think?" She was referring to the fact that this class of thirty had just completed the six and a half months of schooling in two weeks due to liberal use of time turners and dividing Hogwarts so that people did not run into their past or future selves. It was a nightmare to plan out, and finally they found one person, Anne Dannacher, who could juggle all the timelines and personnel. She became the all powerful schedule maker and keeper and Kingsley had promoted her to his personal staff, despite her odd propensity to speak of herself in the third person sometimes.

Kingsley shrugged "They did the same curriculum as we all did; they just did it under the influence of a time turner. They actually scored higher than the average class. I think the time turners impressed upon them how important their role is in the overall conduct of the war."

Connie nodded and then said to her boss "Marcus and Sofia sent a communiqué yesterday." Amelia and Kingsley perked up their ears, the two Elders had volunteered to go to the continent and investigate and attempt to disrupt the Death Eater recruiting. Connie half smiled at their obvious interest and said "They have found and neutralized two efforts. The first was in Bavaria and was being coordinated by one Otto Schwann and the other was in Austria and was coordinated by none other than our old friend, the late Bartemius Crouch Jr."

The other two nodded appreciatively and did not comment on "the late" aspect of Connie's statement. Upon their leaving, Marcus and Sofia had told the Ministry leaders that it was unlikely they would leave survivors - after they had interrogated them, that is.

"They are moving on into Hungary, as they have a lead about a cell working in Budapest. They said they'd send more when they knew more." Connie paused, considering the impact of her upcoming words "This effort is probably making more of an impact than anything we've done since Malfoy Manor." Turning to the Minister, she said formally "Madam Minister, if our agents are apprehended by another Ministry, I would like permission to designate them as Aurors at large, so as to shield them." Connie knew she was taking a chance. The level of cooperation was unprecedented, and widely unreported. The Wizarding public was very bigoted and could very well turn on the governemtn if the level of cooperation got out in the public forum. For the Ministry to publicly hire and acknowledge to persons who the average Wizard or Witch, in their ignorance, would consider to be `dark creatures' could cause political shockwaves and possibly even the toppling of the governemtn.

Amelia looked at her shoes. She knew exactly what Connie was asking for and knew that Connie was aware of it as well. She mused out loud "What is right or what is easy?" At the inquisitive glances of the other two she smiled and shook her head "Something my father used to say quite a bit. Yes, Connie if they are apprehended, we'll roger up to owning them." At this, she quietly walked off the stage and apparated to her office, leaving behind a relieved, yet disturbed Department Head and Head Auror.

******Black Manor, London 1700 16 August 1995******

Remus and Harry waited in the drawing room for their ladies to come down. Sirius, Loreena, Dan and Emma were going out to eat in non-magical London and had just left. The Potters, Remus and Connie were going to the often-postponed Dining In with the 22 SAS hosted by Colonel Richfield. They were to meet Kingsley and Christine Shacklebolt at Credenhill. The men were wearing tuxedoes and standing, chatting about life and other such issues. They had strict instructions from their better halves that they should not sit, as it would wrinkle their slacks. Remus had responded with wide eyes and a sarcastically worried tone "Oh, and we wouldn't want wrinkled slacks" turning to Harry he grasped his hands.

Harry played along and responded with wide eyes "Oh, no. No wrinkled slacks, can't have it. It would be an abomination!" They were promptly pummeled with a combination of shoes, spare handbags and even a clothes hanger as they escaped, laughing like idiots.

After the ladies came down in their gowns, they portkeyed to Credenhill, where the 22 SAS was headquartered. Waiting for them were the Shacklebolts. After introductions were made, the six of them were escorted by the junior Lieutenant in the regiment to the Officer's dining hall. Lieutenant McAndliss did not know who exactly he was escorting, but Major McGrath had impressed upon him with some very forceful language that he was to be the height of decorum despite his "grass-combing sodomite no-nothing" status.

As they crossed the parade ground to the Mess, he held open the door for the visitors and then directed them to the drinks area where the officers and their wives or dates were currently mingling. The men went to the bar and returned with drinks for their ladies and small talk was made. Considering their surroundings, they limited their discussion to which they knew and didn't discuss magic or any other magic-related topics.

Coming up behind the group, Colonel Richfeild said to Harry "My Lord" turning to Hermione he continued "My Lady, I am so very glad we could finally have this chance to get together." Half turning to the stunning woman on his arm he said "May I introduce my lovely wife, Evelyn." After making the introductions all around, they had a pleasant few moments before the Colonel motioned for them to come with him. In a small room off the oak-paneled Officer's Mess they found Major McGrath waiting for them. The Colonel turned to Connie and said "Madam, could you please secure the room?"

After Connie withdrew her wand and cast two silencing charms and three privacy wards, she nodded to the Colonel. He leaned against the table in the center of the room and the pleasant old man revealed the lion within. "We have nothing on our little troublemaker. After the attack at Buckingham Palace, it seems that he has pulled in his claws. By our count, he's lost 153 of his personnel in the last two weeks and quite a few of his monsters as well."

Harry nodded to himself, while Connie said "Colonel, do you have any indications and warnings of any upcoming events? We have little to nothing on the board and it makes me more than a bit nervous."

Richfield turned to McGrath who nodded "We have no I&W either, Director. We too, are more than a bit nervous."

The Colonel took back the reins and said "Now that we have the unpleasant discussion out of the way, Director, I'd like to discuss with you about joint training exercises with our troops and some briefings about capabilities from your people to mine and also for my people to brief your command team here" and he indicated the people present.

Connie paused, "That sounds very intriguing, Colonel. Let's discuss this more tomorrow. I'll pop up for lunch with Kingsley and the Potters and we can discuss the matter in detail."

As they wound out of the room, Harry said to Connie with a half grin "We're part of your command team?"

She smirked back "You still have those badges I gave you Lieutenant? You get out of jail free with those, but there are some payments to be made."

Hermione squeezed his hand. At least we'll know what's going on, love.

Nodding his head they followed everyone out. Yeah, that's something.

******Black Lake, Hogwarts 1200 19 August 1995******

Albus Dumbledore was on one of his perambulating walks about the grounds of his school. Term was starting soon, the war with Voldemort had taken a wholly unexpected series of turns and Albus was trying to find a little corner of peace so he could march forward as best he could.

The horrific condemnation that he had unwittingly inflicted upon Harry still haunted him on multiple levels. Harry had told him that he was forgiven, but Albus still had nightmares about what might have happened. His imagination tried to piece together the most painful episodes it could to inflict the self-punishment while he was in the land of Morpheus. In his waking hours, he knew that the dreams probably fell short of the reality.

Discovering how very wrong he had been in so smugly placing Harry at the Dursleys, and seeing his arrogance in stark relief had also shaken his confidence greatly. Was he even fit to fulfill the leadership roles he held? He had failed as a Headmaster in his dealings with Severus, should he continue as Headmaster? Questions like this plagued him and were the source of his current excursion toward the Black Lake.

He paused at the rock as he always did and like always, he put his fingers to his lips and transferred a kiss to the rock where his Elizabeth had sat when she accepted his proposal. "What she must think of me now…" he murmured to himself. He stood there looking down the hill and out over the waters on this fine day, the sun warm upon his back.

Hearing a sound, he turned to be confronted with Cuchulainn looking at him with what Harry and Hermione would describe as a curious look. Albus was somewhat terrified by it and took an unconscious step backward. Albus Dumbledore, you are conflicted.

Dumbledore nodded. Yes, honored one, I am. Looking back out over the lake, he sighed. I have hurt so many people in my arrogance, I am unsure of my suitability and ability to lead in this war.

The ancient Warrior settled himself and waited a full minute, a few puffs of smoke curling up from his jaws as Dumbledore sat. You have been arrogant; I have seen this in my Lord and Lady Gryffindor's mind. I also see it in your own. Be honest. This protracted self-doubt is no more than pride in the reverse. You are a very intelligent man. You are well respected in Wizarding society. You are in positions of trust where you can do service to the cause of the light. What then, is your conflict?

Dumbledore blinked. He was unused to people being so blunt and perceptive to his behavior and his motives. The dragon had been spot on though and gave the old man pause. He gathered his flagging courage, looked within, and saw what Cuchulainn had described. He also saw something else. I have been blind. In my arrogance, I have assumed that I knew best and that my goals were then synonymous with what is right. If I decide that the course of action is right, then it is what society needs. I have taken no counsel out of fear of losing more people I care about. I have taken no counsel out of arrogance. There are many wise people; Amelia, Henry, and many more that have pieces of the puzzle. I do not have all the answers, no matter how much I wish that I did.

The Honored One sat silent, looking out over the grounds. Finally, he turned a yellow eye on the old warrior next to him. You are learning, Albus Dumbledore. Listen to those about you and you can stay on the right path. Take counsel and share the wisdom you have accumulated over your life. However, remember that even I, a Warrior of a thousand battles and five thousand years, learn something new most every day. Consider this concept in all facets of your life. It is not too late. With that, the dragon heaved his bulk into the air and flew off to the forest in search of his lunch.

******Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts 26 August 1995******

Harry and Hermione strode into the Headmaster's office. They had received his note regarding the appointment with the Necromancy expert and they had been cautiously hopeful that they would be able to find some solutions to their failed lookout for Voldemort's anchor.

They were somewhat surprised to see a man in his late thirties standing next to Dumbledore at the picture window. He was well built, just over six foot tall with long blond hair and ice blue eyes. He turned to the Potters and immediately locked on to Hermione with a hungry look.

Dumbledore made the introductions "Harry and Hermione Potter, this is Christian Duvail, an expert in the Necromantic arts. As we have discussed, I filled him in on the background of the situation."

Duvail shook Harry's hand and turned slowly to Hermione and gently grasped her hand before bringing it to his lips, kissing it softly and then looking up to her before releasing her hand saying with a soft French accent "I am delighted to meet you. Enchante, Madame."

Instantly, some random `guy gene' kicked in Harry's subconscious and he took his wife by the elbow and led her to the sitting area, keeping himself between his wife and Duvail. After helping her into a corner seat, Harry sat next to her and glared at the man before his wife said "Monsieur Duvail, are you aware of the binding process that we believe Voldemort has performed upon himself?"

Duvail nodded heavily and said "Oui, I am aware of this monstrous process he has performed. I vaguely remember reading about it ten or so years ago. When we finish here, I shall return to my villa in the south of France to try and find the correct tome to see if it has any more information that may be of help in your quest." The whole time, his eyes had been boring into Hermione's, to Harry's mounting irritation.

Dumbledore asked about timelines and if he could please consider any other methods that Voldemort may have used to bind himself to this plane of existence that may look like the anchor bonding process.

Still looking over Hermione appreciatively, Duvail said "Of course, Albus. I would be delighted to be of service." His gaze sharpened as he looked Hermione in the eye "In any way possible." At this he rose swiftly and left the room.

Hermione and Dumbledore conversed a bit about next steps and issues to be hurdled, but Harry heard none of it. Finally, Hermione grasped his arm and they left the office in silence. They got to the first broom closet when Hermione grabbed Harry by the back of the shirt and pulled him in after her. Harry squawked "What are you doing?" in an irritated tone.

Hermione said "I'm about to teach my Neanderthal husband how much I love him and only him" and pulled him down into a searing kiss.

A few moments later, they broke apart and Harry held her close. I was being quite the prat, huh?

She massaged his bum softly. Yeah, but I can understand. I'd be jealous if a woman was so blatantly flirting with you. But know this Harry Potter, you are mine, just as I am yours. Now get out of those clothes right now.

Harry had a big grin on his face. I always wanted to get you in a broom closet.

She grinned back at him before her hands took over.

******Black Manor, London 1215 29 August 1995******

Harry and Hermione were packing their trunk. They had gone to Diagon Alley and purchased a brand new trunk with an expanding inside, climate control and all other kinds of charms on it. Harry had asked Hermione if she didn't want to just charm their old trunks and she'd said "I could, but don't want to be bothered with it. We have better things to do with our time."

Harry was still sometimes amazed at the quantity of nice clothes he owned. Having grown up essentially dirt poor, he hadn't left that bit of gratitude for his possessions behind. He hoped he never did. Sirius knocked on the open door frame behind them, looking a bit melancholy.

"Hey you two, anything you need?" he said softly. Sirius had a long talk with Loreena the evening before about the Potters and Grangers leaving the Manor. They had become his new family, and he didn't want them to leave.

Harry looked at his wife, then crossed over to his Godfather and wrapped him in a big hug saying "I'm going to miss you Padfoot."

Sirius hugged his Godson tightly, and a small tear fell down his face. "I'll miss you too, Harry. I am so very grateful for the last five years that we've had together." They broke apart and both wiped their eyes. "I know you're just going to Hogwarts, not like you're dying or anything, but it's the end of an age."

Harry nodded as Hermione enveloped Sirius in a big hug as well. She pulled back and with teary eyes said "I'll miss you as well, Sirius. We'll swing by as often as we can, and you can come see us whenever you want. You know where our suite is in the castle."

Sirius nodded and said, "I'll be downstairs in the library, pop in to say goodbye before you leave, eh?"

A/N

  1. I own nothing

2) Snowdon is the tallest peak in Wales at 1085M and one of the most scaled mountains in all the UK.

3) The question and answer in Ryan's Daughter about the Shepard's pie was verbatim to the situation when my wife asked the question at that restaurant when we visited Ireland in 2003. If you haven't been to Ireland, go. It's a beautiful country and Glendalough is every inch that I described and more.

4) I just saw "Hellboy II: the Golden Army" and it was pretty good. Prince Nuada's fighting ability and style is very much how I imagine Marcus and Sofia. So, short of Hellboy, not much is stopping the two Elders.

5) No recommendation for this chapter. I'd like you all to give me recommendations in your reviews (if you choose to leave them that is.) This isn't a play for reviews, but more so I'm looking for some good stories.

6) Thanks to Chem Prof for giving us a happy ending in `Notebooks and Letters.' My heart was in my feet after last chapter. Your upfront A/N helped my aching romantic heart. Thanks

7) I'm going to have to slow down my posting schedule. I've been churning out 10K words/week for the last ten weeks and real life is in session. Expect a new posting about every other week from here on out. Thanks to all the consistent readers and reviewers.

-->