Unofficial Portkey Archive

To Stand Against the Darkness by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

To Stand Against the Darkness

muggledad

Chapter 14: There's no place like home

"'Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam, Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home."

John Howard Payne, from the opera Clari, the Maid of Milan

******Redfields House, Avalon 0630 Arrival +51 Months******

CLANG!

"That's good…unh!…Ok, now repeat the high attack faster and transition to the leg attack smoother…that's right, use your wrists more…unh!…good! A hit! I acknowledge."

Harry, Sirius and Marcus were watching Hermione and Loreena in the dueling ring. Crookshanks was lying next to Harry watching his mistress. Every so often, Harry would reach down and scratch between the great cat's ears and the purring would fill the area like a hive of angry bees. Jamie and Dan had just gone inside at the summons of their wives, leaving the three watching the training and commenting. Marcus said "She is a very good teacher. She is seeing the moves, responding with comments, and parrying. It took me many years to reach that level."

Harry nodded "She has been studying all your instruction and breaking our sword moves into pieces that she can meld together in her head quickly for attack and defense. She recognizes what Loreena is doing and responds. She's so incredibly smart it's awe inspiring sometimes."

Not long before Harry and Hermione's wedding, Loreena came to training one morning with her own sword and challenged Sirius; apparently, she had been meeting with Marcus in the afternoons for private training. She was familiar with swords, having grown up in Court and had been training as hard as or harder than the Potters so that she could catch up. After the brief duel with Sirius that day, after which he ended up flat on his back, she said simply "I want to be able to help and not be a liability." From that moment on she was a full fledged member of their training team and was also being tutored in magical dueling with Jamie and having some remedial Transfiguration instruction from Minerva.

Harry turned to Sirius "So Padfoot, you ready? How're the flowers" Harry finished in a falsetto with a big smile.

Sirius returned his godson's smile and said "I am so ready it isn't even funny. Rhodri is hinting at a big pre-wedding gift tonight at dinner. Joy. I just want to marry her and go hang on a beach and drink Mai Tais." At Harry and Marcus' laughter, he looked at the other two men exasperatedly "Is that too much to ask?"

Through his chuckles, Harry said "Dude, you are marrying a royal Princess, what did you expect?" Marcus muttered "Indeed" in agreement.

Sirius waved the two off and laughed himself. After a few moments he grew serious and said "So, a month then?"

The travelers had discussed their return and had agreed to give Sirius and Loreena a month after the wedding to settle down and then use the Orb to get home with Hedwig assisting Crookshanks. Marcus looked at Harry with a strange expression on his face. "Harry, I need to talk to you about something. You see, Cuchulainn, Jamie and I were pulled out of our reality and brought here to Avalon shortly before your arrival. I've talked to the other two and the old woman about it, but we don't know the how or why of it. The only thing we could get out of the old woman was that the Isle provides those that are worthy with rest, healing and direction.

"You know Cuchulainn's story; mine is similar." Here the Weapon Master paused. With a big sigh he said "My spouse, Sofia, and I were at our home in Paris and having a normal morning. We had breakfast and I was in the bedroom dressing for the day when I heard her shriek. I apparated to the living room and found her battling five Wizards. Having killed three Wizards already, I screamed at her to apparate out while I delayed the others. She was hit by a bright purple spell, as she was apparating. When I apparated, I appeared here" and he waved his hand and looked around to indicate Redfields. "I do not know if she is alive or dead, but I have been needed here" and he looked Harry in the eye. "You and your spouse have done very well, and I am proud of you. I ask you to let me return with you and after one weeks search for my wife, I will return to Britain and assist you in this fight. Let me be your Champion."

Harry was floored. "I am honored beyond words Master," he said invoking the title he had used for years with his friend and bowed deeply. "Please, come with us and we will help you in your search for your wife. Anything that I have is at your disposal. Consider my house your house, my wealth your wealth. This is but a little I can do to begin to chip away at the enormous debt I and my wife owe you for your tutelage and friendship."

Inside the house, the old woman had visited Minerva while the rest were out at the dueling ring. Jamie jogged up the stairs to answer the summons she had sent via Communication charm. Since their arrival at Avalon, they had slowed down their lifestyle so much, nothing was ever urgent anymore, yet something about her "Jamie, come to the bedroom" had seemed very urgent. As Jamie entered their bedroom, his wife was looking out the window that had a view north, toward the mountains. She did not turn, but said "The old woman had some news, love." Jamie took a seat on the edge of the bed closest to her, merely replying "Aye." As Minerva turned around, Jamie was stricken to see that his wife, Minerva Fraser McGonagall had been crying. She was the strongest woman he knew, and his heart filled with fear at her news. "She told me that the gift of my youth is not without a cost. Magic must have its due" and here she half sobbed into her hand.

Jamie flowed to his feet from the bed and took her in his arms. "Shhh, Mi gruagach dubh, it will be well. What is the cost of which she spoke? As long as you and I are together, it canna be too high." He continued to hold her as she half cried half sobbed in his arms while he ran his hand through her hair and whispered nothings in her ear.

After a minute or two, Minerva relaxed in her husband's arms. Without looking up she baldly stated "I will never be able to have children if I stay this age" and a split second later she raged "But I want them damnit! I had hoped that we could have the life we dreamed of when I found you here! Our life! Children, home, the Highlands! All of it" and she sobbed again.

Without missing a beat, Jamie held her closer and said "It's not what we wished. We always wanted to have a large family, but I am willing to pay that price if you are. Think of it, either you revert to your previous age and are past your childbearing years or you stay young and canna have bairns. Either way, I want you. I'm sure that if we get to it, there will be many bairns that are orphaned by the war that will be in need of a good home and a good mother. A good father they'll have to hunt up, though" he finished with a smile in his voice.

She looked up at him with red eyes "Really? You'd give up us having your children? I know how much you wanted them…"

Holding her even closer, he said "Yes, Mi gruagach dubh, I'd give them up. We can take in a wayward child or two so that what happened to young Harry doesna happen again." Feeling Minerva nod in his arms, he said "I love you, all will be well."

******Courtyard of Camelot, Avalon 1200 Arrival +52 Months******

Harry and Hermione were dressed for traveling, again. They had joked the night before that they had arrived in Avalon dressed for a rough hike and they would be leaving the same way. As they stood in the courtyard, Harry surveyed his companions. Jamie was hitching up his heavy cloak, a pair of daggers on his hips with his wand in hand. Minerva was next to him with a placid look on her face. She had informed the group of `the price' for her youth and that she and Jamie had chosen her youth. Sirius was with his wife saying their final goodbyes to the King and Queen. Right before the wedding, Rhodri had elevated Sirius to the Dukedom of Redfields. Harry had smiled at that, the place that had brought so much to their lives was to be Sirius' bequest to his children someday.

Harry watched Dan and Emma across the way as Emma was a little teary saying her goodbyes to Cadfael. The old Potions Master had come at the last minute to say his goodbyes and he too was a little teary. The old woman was talking with Marcus behind them about times long ago and goodbyes in general. Harry and Marcus had talked about plans and as of now, Marcus would return with them all to get settled at Black Manor before setting out to find Sofia.

Joined them was Crookshanks, bumping Harry looking for some ear scratching. Harry laughed and gave the obligatory ear scratch. Harry had asked Hedwig to take Crookshanks back to Black Manor and wait for the travelers there, as they weren't actually sure where they would end up.

Rhodri walked up to Harry and Hermione and handed Harry a sealed letter "This is for the Queen of non-magical Britain. In it, I have asked her to confirm your knighthoods as well as issue letters patents for the Gryffindor and Redfields titles. She is aware of Avalon and my own throne. In the past these favors have been granted." At Harry's look of surprise, Rhodri smiled "Cousin, I do this for my family" and embraced Harry firmly. Turning to Hermione, he kissed her hand and then embraced her as well. "You have done very well in your time here. I wish that you could stay, but that does not seem to be your path. Send Hedwig with news every so often and remember that you are in our thoughts and prayers."

From above they heard a roar and all looked up to see the great dragon, Cuchulainn, Warrior of the ages spiral in to land amongst them. My Lord Gryffindor. He nodded formally to Harry.

Yes Honored One, how can I be of service to you today?

With a small grunt, the Razortail settled his tail to the Earth. You can be of service by taking me with you and allowing me to assist you in your war.

As Harry's expression looked amazingly similar to a fish as he worked his mouth open to no effect, his wife stepped in smoothly. We are graced by your presence and decision, Honored One. Hermione paused and simply passed on to him. Thank you

Harry turned to his wife with a concerned look on his face. Mione, how are we going to get everyone back? He pulled the Orb out of his pocket and looked at it. I don't think everyone can touch it even with just a fingertip or claw. Harry's face was scrunched up in worry.

With a huge smile, she patted her husbands shoulder. Honestly, are you a Wizard or not? With a flick of her fingers, the Orb grew so that it was roughly the size of a small boulder. As Harry dropped the Orb, he laughed aloud at the remembrance.

Looking around, Harry noticed everyone watching him in expectation. It's time.

With a serious look on her face, she agreed. Yeah, let's do it.

"Ok everyone, let's gather round" said Harry. Everyone took a position so that upon arrival, they all were facing outwards. They had discussed the evening beforehand that they had no idea how many days, months or even years had passed while they were gone. Voldemort could be fully in charge of Britain for all they knew so they were treating this Orb travel as a hostile insertion. Harry, Hermione and Marcus all had their swords drawn; Sirius, Loreena, Jamie and Minerva had their wands while Dan had his pistol at the ready. Cuchulainn had backed up to the Orb and touched it with the tip of his tail. Emma was in the middle of the circle, hidden behind Cuchulainn's bulk with a portkey Sirius had made to Black Manor that was voice activated with the word "home" to get her and Dan to safety if they were ambushed.

Harry looked everyone in the eye and got nods from them all. Sirius grinned and said "Ok pup, let's get this show on the road." Taking a deep breath, Harry tapped the Orb with his wand.

****** Ministry of Magic, Wizengamot Offices 0900 21 June 1995******

Bent over a pile of parchment, Henry Asquith was scribbling away with his quill. After a few minutes of frantic scrawls, he would stop, read aloud what he had written, edit a bit and then resume his scribbling. He had been at it for the last two hours and the evidence of his failed attempts littered the floor of his modestly apportioned office.

All members of the Wizengamot had their own private offices here in the Ministry building, but few availed themselves of the use of the offices. Since Henry had moved into Hogwarts not that long ago, he found it refreshing to work here vs. in his small apartment at the school.

He looked up as Albus Dumbledore knocked on the doorframe of his office and asked "May I come in Henry?" With Asquith's nod and a wave of his wand cancelling the protection wards, Albus entered and took the seat offered to him. "How goes the effort?" queried the Chief Warlock nodding at the parchment on the desk. Henry had volunteered to attempt to craft a bill that would permanently authorize the use of Legilimancy and Veritaserum for screening all Department and Division head positions and for temporary use for any suspected Death Eater employed by the Ministry or contractor working in Ministry facilities.

Henry handed across the rough draft of the body of a bill addressing their concerns. "I have something, it's not pretty. If I give it to you and Amelia, maybe the three of us can knock it into something better. Something that we can get passed in the Wizengamot." Henry stood and walked over to a press and opening it, pulled out a silver tea set. Bringing it over to the table between his two visitor chairs, he tapped the pot with his wand and the water boiled. Tea was poured a few silent minutes later. As the tea was drunk, Henry paused. Setting down his cup, he looked at Albus very seriously. "Actually, I've been quite distracted while trying to craft this bill" and he indicated the parchment on the desk in front of Dumbledore. "I keep thinking about how the Death Eaters merely have to threaten the lives of the children of Wizengamot members and they have those votes in Voldemort's pocket. I hid my remaining family, but what about the rest? Do we have the manpower to protect that many people? I doubt it. Can we hide that many people? Probably, but will they all go along with it? This has been beating around in my brain this morning Albus. I'm sorry I only have questions and no answers on this topic. I think if we can solve this problem, a lot of our legislative issues will be solved."

******Front Lawn, Hogwarts 1200 21 June 1995******

Albus Dumbledore ambled along the path from the Black Lake towards the castle. When he was in need of "a good think" he would often meander about the grounds and let his thoughts go free. There was much to consider. Henry's observation about the protection of the Wizengamot members was a prescient one, but very difficult to solve.

The muggle police, with the Aurors helping, were beginning to roll back some of Voldemort's sources of income, but not even close to crippling levels. They would continue to press on.

In a surprise move, the muggle Government had announced that a radical terrorist group that called themselves "Death Eaters" with the self-stylized "Lord Voldemort" as their leader who had detonated vast quantities of incendiary devices at the stadium, resulting in the massive loss of life. It was unknown as to their motivation, but the Security Service and the SIS did not believe them to be religiously motivated. The entire country had mobilized behind the Union Jack, denouncing the Death Eaters as evil villains and Voldemort as an obviously delusional evil lunatic.

All very well played, I must say. Now, we can talk to them and not miss a beat, just leaving out the whole "the Death Eaters can do magic" issue. The question remains, how to incorporate the non-magical forces into the fight and maximize their effectiveness with minimal slaughter. In a direct confrontation, they are at a significant disadvantage. Albus chuckled to himself. He was somewhat surprised that cooperation was so smooth. In his experience, when multiple organizations cooperated at this level, there was usually a tussle to be in charge.

In addition to the MI-5, London Metropolitan Police from New Scotland Yard and now MI-6 representatives in the Ministry, new Head Auror Kingsley Shacklebolt had detailed two Aurors to Thames House, MI-5 headquarters. Connie, as the new head of the DMLE under Amelia, was working frenetically, with assistance from the Department of Mysteries, to merge the four different intelligence sources of information to a usable system. She had co-opted some bright young stars in various levels of the organization to act for her after rigorous screening with a voluntary submission to a Legilimancy probe and Veritaserum testing. She was building her own "Young Turks" and they seemed to work out well in their tasks. Albus looked up at a sound and saw Hagrid approaching and waved to him with a smile.

"Good morning, Professor. I have a question or two for you regarding next term and Magical Creatures for the fourth years," said the amiable half-giant.

As they walked along and Albus tried to dissuade Hagrid from teaching Manticores to fifteen year old Witches and Wizards, a wind began to pick up. About two hundred yards in front of them, the air began to shimmer, as if from a heat mirage. In an instant, the Headmaster had his wand in his hand, while Hagrid had a cutlass in his hand that he used as a working knife.

Fading into view was the largest dragon that Dumbledore had ever seen. Ignoring the squeak of excitement from Hagrid, he vaguely noticed a small group of people on the far side of the great blue-black beast, but kept his eyes focused on the dragon.

The dragon sized him up, as if deciding whether Albus would taste better roasted or broiled when the Headmaster heard a rumbling voice in his head. My Lord, I do believe that Albus Dumbledore is standing over here and is unwisely considering attacking us.

With surprise and no little bit of humor, Dumbledore said "Oh no, my dear dragon. I do not wish to attack you. Far from it. I am considering how to escape being a late lunch snack for you." The Headmaster was shocked into silence when he focused on the people coming from around the dragon. There was the Travelers as he knew them, but not as he remembered. Minerva was young! Harry and Hermione were much older! He could only stammer out "What? How?"

Harry looked at the Headmaster with an odd expression on his face, "All in good time, Albus. Shall we adjourn to your office for a bit of a chat?" With a wave of his hand indicating Albus should lead the way, the humans set off for the castle while Cuchulainn ambled toward the forest with Hagrid in tow gibbering at the Warrior.

******Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts 1215 21 June 1995******

As the nine Travelers settled into chairs in the Headmaster's office, Harry looked around. He crooked an eyebrow at his wife. Last time we were here, it was less than pleasant.

She looked down at her hands to hide her sour expression from everyone else. Do you want to address it or just let him know what's happened in big picture terms? We need him to fight this war.

Sighing, Harry sat in his chair. I know. I've thought a lot about what Cuchulainn said about forgiveness, and he is right. For my own sake at the very least. Not sure I really give a rat's ass about his feelings much.

Haaarrryy. The gentle chiding was evident, followed by a playful punch on the arm. Play nice.

Smiling at her, he reached out to give her hand a squeeze. I am. I was only somewhat kidding.

Dumbledore looked to Harry, letting him set the tone and topic for the interview. "Introductions first, I believe. To my right" he indicated Hermione to the Headmaster's puzzlement "is my lovely wife of the last year; The Right Honorable Dame Hermione Potter, Countess Gryffindor." Without giving the old man a moment to recover, Harry indicated to Loreena and said "and this lady is my distant cousin, Her Royal Highness, the Princess Loreena Black, Duchess of Redfields and Baroness Black." Loreena looked at Dumbledore through narrowed eyes while Harry watched his cousin. He knew her well enough to know that she was seriously considering letting fly on the old man. "Next to her is, of course, my Godfather; His Grace Sirius Black, Duke of Redfields and Baron Black."

Continuing, Harry said "I'm not sure if you've ever met my Father and Mother-in-law, Doctors Daniel and Emma Granger" who nodded shortly at the old man. Moving to Marcus, Harry paused for effect. "I now honor you, Headmaster, to introduce you to an Elder of our world." Harry stood, indicating to Albus to do the same. When the Headmaster had climbed to his feet, Harry approached the seated Marcus and said "Elder, may I introduce to you, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, Headmaster of Hogwarts and awardee of the Order of Merlin, First Class?" After a brief moment of obvious consideration, Marcus nodded and then Harry stepped back, "Headmaster, I'd like to introduce you to Marcus" he said simply.

Albus approached with his senses extended and what he found surprised him. "Oh, my" he said sotto voce. Extending his hand, he said "How do you do Marcus, please, call me Albus. I do believe that you are a Dhampir?" With a flicker of surprise in his eyes, Marcus gave a slight smile and said "Yes."

With a very formal bow, Albus turned to the next person in line, Minerva. He had fretted about this meeting for the past three weeks. For him, his own betrayal of Harry and by extension the rest in this room was still fresh. He had no inkling of how they felt toward him, as Harry was being rigidly formal. Through this formality, there was also a message: "We are not your friends, nor are we your enemies."

Looking Minerva in the eye, he said softly "How are you Minerva?"

She returned his look and with a look of sadness, for things lost. "I have been well." Looking to her right at Jamie, she said "My husband, James Malcolm McGonagall, former Laird of Clan McGonagall." Jamie stood to his full height of six foot four inches and looked down on the aged man, paused and then shook the extended hand quickly before seating himself without a word.

Harry resumed his seat and said in afterthought "Oh, yes. The dragon that came with us? He is Cuchulainn, last of the adult Irish Razortail dragons and if he honors you and deigns to speak with you, you may address him in your mindspeak as `Honored One'."

Albus took his seat and was silent. As Harry watched, the old man looked around the room, surveying the very closed faces. None of them trusted him as was obvious. It was now up to Albus to make the first move to mend bridges where he could. "I have wronged many of you in this room directly, and all in this room indirectly, with possibly the exception of the Elder" and he nodded and gave a small smile to Marcus who nodded in return. "To apologize is good, but more important is to demonstrate a change in behavior." Here he paused, gathering his thoughts. "For me, you have all been gone only three weeks" to which the Travelers gave a start. "I am anxious to begin the long road to where I may return our relationships to, at least, neutrality, and possibly even amiability if I haven't damaged our relationship too much. I would like that very much indeed and will put forth the effort to demonstrate to you that I won't hurt you, nor anyone else, with my bad behavior in the same or similar manner."

Sirius broke the silence. "Those are good words Albus, but, as you have pointed out, deeds are most important here. I welcome a changed attitude and behavior from you, and for my part have a hope that we may be reconciled in the future." Glancing at Harry, he continued "But that is only for my part."

After another prolonged silence, Sirius said "Well, we are just going to head home to see what Dobby and Winky have been doing with the old place. Come by tomorrow, Albus. Sirius Black lives at Black Manor, Number 12 Grimmauld Place, London."

As people began to file out, Harry looked at his wife. I want to talk to Albus, go on ahead.

She frowned at her stubborn man. I'll wait at the bottom of the steps, thanks.

He smiled at her and brushed a kiss on her knuckles. As you wish.

Everyone left, the McGonagalls to Minerva's quarters in the castle and everyone else to Black Manor to get settled in and have a meal. Harry looked out of the window toward the forest where he could see Cuchulainn in an apparent discussion with Hagrid. Without turning he said "I hated you when I left here four years ago." Albus said nothing, because there was nothing he could say. Harry continued, "I blamed you for letting me stay in the hell of the Dursleys. It was true, after all. I condemned you night after night in my dreams and during the day in my thoughts. Then, one whom I regard above most others in this world saw this in me and told me that my path was that of darkness."

Turning to face Dumbledore who had retaken his seat Harry said sadly "I will not follow the path of Tom Riddle. I will not succumb to the hatred. I forgive you Albus Dumbledore. I forgive you not for your sake so that you may feel better, but for the protection of my own soul." Harry looked at the old Headmaster almost dispassionately. He saw an old man who had made some very bad decisions in arrogance and pride. He saw a man very aware of the wrong he had done and was willing to atone as best he could. However, some things could never be made right.

In a very small voice, Albus said "Thank you, Harry. I do not deserve your forgiveness, this I know. I thank you nonetheless."

With a deep breath for courage, Harry said "I echo Sirius and hope that we may be reconciled in the future. Again, deeds, not words are important here Albus." The Headmaster nodded in agreement and Harry made his way to the door where he was stopped by the Headmaster's call from behind him.

As he turned, Albus straightened up, in a very formal voice said, "My Lord Gryffindor, I am honored and very proud to know you", and made a formal, deep bow.

Harry nodded shortly and walked out to go home with his wife.

******Black Manor, London 1300 21 June 1995******

The Blacks and the Grangers landed in the kitchen of the Manor from their Portkey ride. Sirius immediately called out "Dobby!" When Dobby popped into the immaculately clean kitchen, his eyes bulged out even further.

"Master Sirius! You is returned!" and ran up to hug Sirius' legs to Loreena's amusement. "Dobby has missed you and Harry Potter Sir!" Looking around he saw that Harry wasn't there and looked at Sirius with a stricken face.

With a small smile for the Elf, Sirius said "Harry and Hermione will be along shortly. Dobby" and here he turned to Loreena, "I'd like you to meet my wife, Loreena Black."

With a deep bow, Dobby touched his forehead to the floor while facing Loreena "Mistress, Dobby will serve."

Loreena frowned "Rise Dobby and approach." Sirius raised his eyebrows as she was using her "Court Tone" as she called it. It was unmistakable when she was putting on the mantle of a Princess of Avalon. Without looking up, Dobby rose and approached her. Loreena sat in a chair at the table, pulled Dobby into a chair opposite her, and proceeded to tell him that she wanted to be his friend and she would appreciate any help that he or Winky could provide. At the mention of her name, Winky popped in the room and immediately curtseyed so deeply that it seemed that she sank into the floor. Loreena beckoned her to another chair, next to Dobby and repeated the instruction to Winky.

With this finished, the Elves looked at each other, then at Loreena. Obviously plucking up her courage, Winky said "Mistress, you is from Avalon, isn't you?" At Loreena's nod, Winky broke out in a big smile "You is royalty, isn't you?"

Loreena smiled and said "Yes, my father is the King of Avalon and mother is his Queen."

Dobby and Winky then hopped out of their chairs, with glee bowed, and curtsied again saying, "We is pleased to meet your Highness." Turning to Sirius, Dobby adopted a stern expression and wagged his long finger at him "You treat Mistress right Master Sirius!" and snapped his fingers, taking the luggage to the appropriate rooms. Winky and Dobby popped out after that, to unpack and freshen everyone's rooms before a late lunch.

Dan and Emma went up to their rooms with a smile after the amusing introductions with the Elves. Sirius and Loreena took off their cloaks so he could show her around their new home. They had talked quite a bit about boarding the Grangers and Potters. Loreena had been adamant "They are family Sirius and it's too dangerous for them to go to their homes without significant upgrades to the defenses and even then, I don't think Dan and Emma should leave. Besides" here she had smiled "I like having them around."

Leaving their heavy cloaks and jackets on the kitchen table, they started up the stairs to the first floor when they heard Remus say "Dobby, what's all the noise down there?"

Sirius' face lit up like a lamp. He had missed his "brother Moony" quite a bit and had been looking forward to this reunion. Motioning for silence, Sirius pointed to his wife to stand in a small alcove, while he leaned on the wall on the landing of the stairs, as if he had been waiting for Remus.

Remus turned the corner and stopped. Pausing only a moment he whipped out his wand and pointed it at Sirius saying "What is the secret to this house?"

With a broad smile Sirius said "Missed you too Moony. Sirius Black lives at Black Manor, Number 12 Grimmauld Place, London." Remus sheathed his wand quickly and with a big smile, the two brothers embraced. "God, it's good to see you Moony. We've been gone for four years." Remus pulled back with a look of surprise. Sirius paused and nonchalantly said "Hey, you wanna meet my wife? She's a Princess."

Remus' surprised look trebled and then he scoffed "Yeah, and I'm engaged to the Horntail Harry flew against. Shut up Padfoot. You, get married? Please."

Sirius motioned with his hand to Loreena who came out of the shadows and said "Hello Remus, I'm Loreena. I've heard so very much about you" and gave the stunned Werewolf a big hug. By now, Sirius was laughing so hard that tears were running down his face. Loreena pulled back from the hug and with a big smile said "Gotcha Moony."

A now confused and surprised Remus said "Wait…are you married?" to which she nodded. "And what's this about a Princess?" getting another nod in return to gales of laughter from the Blacks. Shaking his head ruefully at Sirius and his newest partner in crime, Remus laughed and said "I need a drink, coming?"

As they walked up to the drawing room, Sirius said "So what's up? We came back at Hogwarts and Dumbles says we've only been gone for three weeks."

The Blacks followed Remus into the room while he pondered. "Three weeks is about right. It's the 21st of June, '95. The world has been spinning out of control the last few weeks. Let me tell you…" and he began to fill in Sirius and Loreena on the happenings of the last few weeks, explaining a lot of the issues and places to Loreena. At the end of his recounting, Remus opened his mouth, paused and obviously thought better of speaking and was quiet.

Sirius noticed. "What? What else? Are Voldy and the Voldettes planning to arrange for the world to wear pink undergarments from now on?"

Remus blushed slightly "Well, do you remember Connie Hammer?"

Now Sirius was sporting a huge grin and bounded off the couch he had been sharing with Loreena "You didn't?!" At Remus' shrug, Sirius cackled and did a little happy dance. "About time you dolt! So have you proposed yet or are you two just shagging the hell out each other?"

At Loreena and Remus' cry of "Sirius!" he turned to his spouse.

"Love, Remus has been such an ass it's unbelievable. If I had not been in the loving custody of the Dementors at the time, I'd a beat the crap out of him for leaving Connie. They were crazy for each other and when I got out I hear he'd dumped her after I was arrested for some bullshit reason."

In a vain attempt to deflect his friend's accurate description from going any further, Remus said "Anyway, she's forgiven me and is currently the head of the DMLE and a little busy. Hey, what do you say we try to get her over here for dinner tonight?"

Sirius turned to his wife and raised his eyebrows in question. At her nod, he turned back to Remus "Sure, Harry and Hermione should be back soon. So, give us a bit and we'll go get some lunch first."

****** Ministry of Magic, Minister's Office 1330 21 June 1995******

Albus Dumbledore sat across the desk from Amelia Bones as she contemplated all that he had just told her about Harry's return and his companions. She was thinking out loud as she sat there "Hmmm, Avalon. I'd like to chat with him about that, must have been very interesting…a Princess…married to Black!" here she laughed and shook her head. Focusing on the Headmaster in front of her she said "Quite a bit to take in, eh?"

Albus smiled "I almost had a heart attack when that enormous dragon showed up in front of me." He laughed at the memory and was interrupted by a knock at the door.

Amelia looked over and saw a white-faced Connie Hammer. Under her breath, she said "Oh no, what now…" She waved her director in and Connie cut to the chase.

"Azkaban has been attacked. The entire Goblin force has been slaughtered and the Dementors that had been secured there have been freed. All imprisoned Death Eaters have been freed." She paused while the other two absorbed the news. After a few moments, she went on "The 8th Emergency Response Team of Aurors is moving up to Azkaban to sweep the island for any stragglers, either human or Dementor. I've contacted the Goblins and to say they are irate is an understatement."

At the looks of surprise from the Minister and Chief Warlock, she amplified "They are irate that their force was decimated with seeming ease. They are assembling an entire Goblin Corps to occupy the island and request permission to ward the island with their own warders. Apparently they've cooked up a ward that if someone crosses the ward line, the ward burns the arm off of a person who has the dark mark." The last part brought a predatory grin to Connie's face as she thought about it.

Amelia nodded, "I see. I'll need a list of all the prisoners that have escaped along with wizarding and muggle pictures." Connie handed over a file folder she had been carrying. "Good. We're going to go full court and give the muggles this information as well. It will help the Prime Minister as well to show pictures of the supposed lieutenants of Voldemort." Catching Connie's eye, Amelia said "Make sure you get these pictures and descriptions to the MI-5, Metropolitan Police and MI-6 personnel for distribution." Amelia paused and then smiled "If you haven't already done so." Seeing Connie's nonchalant shrug and smile she shook her head in good humor. Looking across at Albus, she paused for any input he might have.

"If I may Amelia?" said Dumbledore. At her nod, he said "I would suggest that you portray the slain Goblin defenders in the best light you can. It will help the Goblin leadership internally and also begin to rehabilitate their reputation in the public." For many years, the pervading bigotry against non-humans had consistently burnt the idea of the Goblins being no more than useful animals into the general populace. This was an opportunity to begin to change that idea.

Nodding, Amelia made a note on the pad on her desk. "As far as Goblins warding the island, for now, do it." Looking Connie in the eye steadily she continued "But you tell them that we need to be able to have access to the prisoners at any time, day or night. Just like before." Amelia looked away and thought aloud "We are going to keep this aspect of the operation very quiet. Goblins aren't that rehabilitated in the public eye to expect the majority of people to acquiesce to this unprecedented level of direct control of Wizards by Goblins."

After a few moments, Amelia slapped her hand on her desk saying "Crap! We need to get on the offensive. Connie, how long until this intelligence cooperative you're building is up and running?"

Connie thought back to the morning briefing, "Probably a week. We're combining magical and mundane methods of data storage as well as deciphering muggle terminology. Not an inconsiderable task."

Amelia considered for a moment "I don't like to dictate targets to my troops, but what about Malfoy Manor? Can we find it and then hit it?"

Connie exhaled loudly. "I'll look into it Minister. However, if it's too hard, we aren't going. I'm not sending our people on another suicide mission" and Connie glared at her superiors, still upset that Remus was injured during the Blackthorne raid. Charlie was healing nicely, but couldn't walk for extended distances yet. Apparently, Molly had been so abominable, that Charlie moved into Charon house for the rest of his rehabilitation.

****** Ministry of Magic, DMLE Director's Office 1430 21 June 1995******

Not long after Sirius, Loreena and Remus had decided to set out, Dobby had announced lunch and as they sat down to eat Harry and Hermione had Apparated in from the Hogwarts Front Lawn. Harry had been laughing and Hermione flabbergasted. Between chuckles, Harry had explained that Hermione was mad at him because he had proved her favorite book wrong. Seeing the blank stares, he muttered "Guess you had to be there" and they sat down to eat.

At that moment, Crookshanks had wandered in to the dining room. The Travelers were so used to his size that it never occurred to them to warn Remus. Suddenly, Remus looked up and began listening. He had smelled the intruder and was now trying to hear him. At that moment, Crooks nudged Remus' right hand looking for some scratches. Remus squealed like a little girl and dove to his left, causing the two couples to dissolve in hysterics.

Gasping, Sirius said "Moony, you are too much. I love you man."

Muttering imprecations, Remus resumed his seat. Harry said, "Moony, you're going to have to get used to Crooks, he's a lot of fun to run with." Eyes brightening, he looked at his wife eagerly and then to Sirius questioningly. At Sirius' questioning look, Harry nodded toward Remus who was watching all this with bafflement.

Finally, Hermione caught on and said "Remus, what my husband is trying to get his Godfather to ask you is would it be Ok if we ran with you on full moon nights with Crookshanks?"

This in turn demanded a revealing of Ghosteyes and Vixen. Remus looked over Ghosteyes and nodded "Yeah, I see it. Ghosteyes is a good name for you Harry." Looking over at Hermione, he frowned "Sirius, what the hell were you thinking naming her Vixen? She's not a fox, nor red, nor cranky. She's … Raksha. Yeah, the she-wolf."

Hermione reacted viscerally to the new name. Vixen had been Ok, but it wasn't really comfortable. She didn't identify with the name. Raksha, though, was like an old glove. It fit perfectly, was comfortable and most of all, reflected her personality.

After lunch, they all apparated to Diagon Alley to head to the visitors entrance of the Ministry and not long after, the Potters, the Blacks and Remus walked down the hallway toward Connie's office chatting. Every so often, Remus would stop and look at Harry and Hermione in amazement. He'd shake his head and laugh before moving on. Hermione, in particular found this to be hilarious.

Walking through the cubicles of the Aurors, Harry heard a voice behind him call "Hey, Potter! I need to talk to you for a minute." Harry turned and saw Kingsley Shacklebolt approaching. Kingsley looked at him oddly for a minute and then shook it off when he saw the lightening bolt scar. "How do you do Mr. Potter, I am Kingsley Shacklebolt, can we talk a moment?"

Harry looked at Sirius and the others who had become very serious very fast. "What would you like to talk about Auror Shacklebolt?" said Harry in a guarded but friendly manner.

Kingsley looked at Harry as if he had a screw loose. "The attack on you by Ronald Weasley last month. I'm Head Auror now, but I was investigating officer and would like to close the loop. My office?"

Harry waved the others on. "Go find Connie and we'll meet up in the Atrium in…" he looked at Kingsley for a time.

Kingsley said "A half hour."

Everyone but Hermione left. Harry looked at her with slight amusement. So, you aren't letting me out of your sight?

She grinned and looped her arm through his as they followed Kingsley to his office. That's right buster. I'm your wife, bed warmer, cold foot torturer and also, your battle partner. What had begun in fun had ended in dead seriousness. We're back, and Moldy-butt is on the prowl. Maybe in the loo you get away from me. Maybe.

Harry gave her arm a squeeze and they settled into Kingsley's office and the Auror said "Mr. Potter, I have all the evidence I need to put Mr. Weasley in prison for a minimum of five years. I just need your agreement to press charges."

Harry sat back and examined his heart. For all of Ron's idiocy, he was just a kid. A stupid kid, but a kid, nonetheless. Forgiveness, right? "Auror Shacklebolt, is there a way to prosecute to ensure that Ron only gets probation and community service as a punishment?"

Kingsley thought for a moment "Well, I can't guarantee it, but if you make that recommendation, Lord Potter, I think it would be the result." Kingsley had stressed Harry's title insinuating that the judge would accept the word of a Wizengamot member for the distribution of "justice." It made Harry slightly ill, but he decided he'd use it to his advantage for now.

Harry nodded "Let's do that, can I have some parchment?" As Kingsley pulled out a blank piece of parchment and some ink, Harry wandlessly conjured a quill, wrote out his "request" for leniency, and signed it followed by the imprint from his signet ring.

Walking back to the Atrium to meet the rest of their party Harry was in a subdued mood. Feeling his emotions through their link, Hermione nudged her man in the ribs. What's up?

You know, I don't like the corruption aspect of what I just did.

So, what are you going to do about it?

That's just the thing. There ought to be a way for the person wronged to express their desire for justice to the judge. The way the rules are written though, the only reason I have any pull is as Head of the Ancient and Noble House of Potter. Imagine what they'll do when they find out about the Gryffindor title?

Laughing, they proceeded to the atrium where they found a very serious Remus, Loreena and Sirius who related what happened at Azkaban. Connie would be unable to meet them for dinner, but would be coming over the next day with Dumbledore and the Minister to get a debriefing on what they achieved while in Avalon. Sirius had left Connie a portkey for the officials to use at one in the afternoon.

******Black Manor, London 1345 22 June 1995******

Amelia Bones sat back in her chair. She looked around the tastefully furnished sitting room of Black Manor. The wealth on display was considerable, but not ostentatious. The news that had been told like a tale of old for the last forty five minutes had been considerable as well. The Travelers had held nothing back, figuring the audience of Albus Dumbledore, Connie Hammer and Amelia Bones needed to know everything. Believing in Avalon was easy. It was a commonly held belief amongst the Wizarding population of Britain that Avalon was indeed a real place; the only issue was how to get there. Apparently, that had been solved. You needed either a Phoenix or a Merlin-made Portkey.

Harry and Hermione sat on the loveseat and sipped at the cold drinks Dobby had provided as Sirius picked up the story. "After Harry and Hermione were married, the training picked up significantly in difficulty. At this point, Dan and I" here he nodded to Dan sitting on the other side of the room with Emma, "joined in on the sword training with Marcus to help challenge our two young Warriors. After about two months of that, they only dueled themselves, as we were no match. Couldn't keep up." Sirius smiled at the Potters "I guess they were just too powerful." At the inside joke, Harry groaned and Hermione playfully crossed her eyes at Sirius in retaliation.

"Anyway" said Harry taking back the reins of the story. "Sirius is right in one aspect, about a year and a half ago, our training moved into perfecting skills we had learned. This included swords, hand to hand, magical dueling, Mind Magics, Animagus fighting and philosophy. At the last, the listeners looked quizzically at Harry, hoping for an explanation. He looked at them and said as if lecturing infants "With great power comes great responsibility. Our instructors wanted us to be mature, morally developed persons when they taught us how to kill without blinking."

Minerva spoke up "It's something we ought to consider for our NEWT years at Hogwarts. That and we also ought to consider adding a physical training curriculum to all years. The better conditioned the body is, the easier it is to perform magic. I've seen these two do feats that even you, Albus, can't do."

Albus looked surprised at her statement and nodded. "We should talk about how and who could be the Professor for these areas. Yes, these are very good ideas indeed, we'll talk more later." Looking back to the Potters, he had a somewhat confused expression. "I don't mean to be obtuse, but what, exactly, is `Mind Magics', I don't believe I've heard that term before."

Hermione replied with a small grin "Professor, do you consider yourself to be a superior Occlumens. Don't be bashful."

Dumbledore wore the grandfatherly smile he had perfected over the years "Not to be a braggadocio, but yes, Hermione, I do consider myself to be a superior Occlumens."

Hermione looked at her husband. You want to teach him a lesson or me?

Harry laughed aloud. The group had been told they could mindspeak, but it was still unsettling for the newcomers. Have at it.

A blink of an eye later and Dumbledore sat there dumbfounded as memory after memory went cascading before his minds eye. He hadn't even felt the intrusion, it just happened. Sirius couldn't help himself and sniggered in the corner at the slack-jawed surprise on the old man's face.

Amelia looked from the Headmaster to the Potters and smiled "I gather you've taught him a little lesson in humility?"

Hermione very primly smoothed her skirt and said with a smile "Why Madam Minister, what would ever give you that impression?"

After the light laughter faded away, Harry snapped his fingers and looked at his wife and said "Hedwig and Crooks." At Hermione's nod, Harry called out "Hedwig" and a heartbeat later, the white Phoenix appeared in a ball of flame, trilling her soothing song. "As you can see, Hedwig has a new way of traveling and a new way of being as well."

Crookshanks silently padded into the room and stopped next to the Minister who noticed him when he bumped her hand looking for some scratches. The Minister held her composure better than Remus, but only just. After scratching Crooks' ears for a bit, Amelia crooked an eyebrow and said "I gather this is your half-kneazle?" to Hermione's acknowledgement. After a moment, she said "For forms sake, transform into your Animagus form and we can legally say that you have informed the Ministry of your Animagus capability and forms."

Harry and Hermione complied, privately thinking the Minister just wanted to see their forms and a moment later, Ghosteyes and Raksha stood there for a few seconds before transforming back.

Harry looked at the other three and with some amusement and some annoyance said "Alright, we've told all and jumped through the hoops, so do tell, what is going on here."

Amelia and Connie, with some input from Albus updated the Travelers on all that had transpired since they had left. Remus had told them most of the news, but he wasn't privy to all. For Jamie and Minerva, it was their first hearing. "Sixty thousand people" said Jamie in an undertone "The muggles must be going insane."

Amelia nodded, "Yes, I meet with the Prime Minister daily over breakfast with Connie here" she said indicating her DMLE head "and Roger Browning, the head of the Security Service. We've briefed the Queen twice. All in all, the muggles are less than pleased."

There was a lull in the conversation and Dumbledore spoke up "With all the advanced education and training that you have undergone, I gather OWLs and even some if not all NEWTs are a foregone conclusion" he waited for and received affirmation from the young married couple. "Would you like me to schedule them for you?"

Harry looked at Hermione. Fine by me, what do you think?

She chewed her lip thinking. Yeah, I think so. Let's see: Defense, Transfiguration, Charms, Runes, Arithmancy and Potions. That should do it.

Harry answered the Headmaster and informed him of their choices which he jotted down on a piece of parchment that he conjured. He put it away and paused. "I have a request for you two. You have, obviously, no duty to oblige me, but I think it would help us all in the war effort. As you mentioned when discussing this `anchor' for Voldemort, Tom does have an unhealthy preoccupation with the school. I would like to offer you the opportunity to obtain Masteries in any topic you would like if you would please take up residence in the castle to be on hand when he strikes. Note, I said `when', not `if'."

Hermione perked up. With an attentive and interested tone she said "That sounds very interesting, Headmaster. Outside of our studies with the Master, what would be required?

Dumbledore continued, heartened at her interest. "As Mastery candidates, you would fill in for the Professor when needed and act as an assistant in the class per the Professor's needs. I know that Filius, for example, only wants his candidates in the classroom occasionally unless they are considering a teaching career."

Harry took the bull by the horns to force a situation. Looking at Jamie, he said "Sir, what other duties would you have me doing as a candidate for a Defense mastery while you are the Defense Professor?"

The edges of Jamie's mouth twitched in amusement as his wife covered her laugh with a cough. Dumbledore looked on, amused at the subtle condition that had just been levied on him for their acceptance. Jamie said "Well, I think running a dueling club under my aegis, doing after hours tutoring of struggling students or students that request more training would be in line with your extracurricular activities."

Harry nodded and with a glance at his wife, from whom he received a short nod, Harry turned to the Headmaster and with a big smile said "Headmaster, I would be proud to accept candidate Mastery status under Professors Flitwick for Charms and Professor McGonagall for Defense."

Albus did a double take when Harry said "Professor McGonagall for Defense", realized what he was saying and after a short laugh said "Very well, Harry" and looked to Lady Gryffindor for her request.

She smiled prettily and said "I too am happy to accept candidate Mastery status under Professor McGonagall for Transfiguration and Professor McGonagall for Defense."

The Professors McGonagall laughed outright at that statement along with smiles from Dan and Emma. Dumbledore nodded in acceptance and said "Very good. I'll arrange for you to have married quarters in the staff wing. It won't do to have you in Gryffindor Tower." He paused and said "You do realize it will be quite difficult at times for the students to accept you in the new role. You may have to `flex your muscles' a few times to establish yourselves." He finished with a smile and a twinkle "Something to consider."

Connie now spoke up for the first time. "I've been thinking that it would be good to have you two on missions with Remus and Alastor and the Weasley boys. Are you willing?"

A feral grin came over both Potters and everyone in the room shivered at the small burst of power that came from both of them. Harry looked at Connie with a wide smile and said "I was hoping you would ask us to help. We'd love to."

The meeting began to break up and people milled about discussing various things. Amelia had cornered Harry, Hermione and Loreena and was as excited as a schoolgirl hearing about Avalon. Sirius, Remus and Connie were chatting in a corner when Emma approached Albus. "Professor Dumbledore, is it possible for a muggle to take OWLs and NEWTs?"

Frowning in thought, the headmaster stroked his beard. "I cannot remember any prohibition against a muggle testing for a topic, because it isn't possible except for Potions and Herbology. I gather, you would like to test in those areas?"

Emma nodded assertively. "Yes, I would like to be tested for Potions." She and Dan had talked about this on and off for the last few months. Potions were now her passion, dentistry was a long forgotten trade. She knew she was good, she enjoyed the work and the results were wonderful. It helped that so much of potions could be healing related. Dan had expressed a desire for Herbology. He was far better at plants than she and had kept the herb garden back at Redfields well tended and expanded it significantly over the last three years they were there. When Dan mentioned testing for Herbology, Albus was not surprised. After today, he had hit his `surprise' limit and was just rolling with it.

******The Burrow, Ottery St. Catchpole, Devon 1210 23 June 1995******

Arthur, Molly and Ron apparated into the back yard of the Burrow with Ron side-along apparating with his father. They were wearing their best robes, since they were returning from Ron's hearing. The prosecutor had met with Arthur the day before and offered a deal for a guilty plea. Because of his age, Arthur was told, Ronald would be given three years of probation and two hundred and fifty hours of community service. Recognizing their incredibly good fortune, Arthur immediately agreed and signed the paperwork for his minor son. Despite his anger, he didn't want his son to go to Azkaban, and this was a rather stiff penalty that he hoped would get through to his immature son.

After changing into some work robes, Arthur walked out of his bedroom and saw Ron standing on the back porch facing out toward their family Quidditch pitch. Ginny was at her job in the knick-knack shop in the village and the twins were God knows where. Arthur strolled out the door and stood next to his son in silence for a few minutes.

Finally, Ron spoke up in a voice choked with emotion "I've really screwed everything up, haven't I, Dad?"

Arthur looked over to see his son had been crying. Looking thoughtfully out over the yard, Arthur replied "Yes, son, you have. It's not forever, though. Only death is forever. You'll serve your probation, work off your community service and do some good work and that part will be over. Continue your studies like you have been this summer and you will be able to go back to school as a fifth year."

Ron wiped his face with the back of his hand and sniffled a little. "Harry and Hermione will want nothing to do with me."

Arthur nodded "You're probably right. I'd recommend apologizing and then showing them that you are different. Shed your jealousy; dump the need to be right, think of others before yourself. Be a friend if they'll let you. If not, well they aren't the only people out there with which you can be friends. I'll tell you something that I'm sure you are aware of by now. The young man you were on the day you were taken out of Hogwarts last month will not have any friends nor succeed in life."

Ron nodded thoughtfully and looked up at his father in gratitude. "Thanks Dad, I love you."

Placing his hand on his son's shoulder, Arthur could only say "I love you too, son."

******Transfiguration Office, Hogwarts 1215 24 June 1995******

Harry and Hermione were taking a break for lunch and chatting with Minerva while they all ate. Jamie was in his own office trying to make heads or tails of the nightmare that Barty Crouch Jr. had called lesson plans. Minerva said that he was going to give it one more day and if he couldn't figure out what he was looking at all the notes were going in the fire and he'd start from scratch.

That morning, the Potters had taken their Charms and Transfiguration OWLs. They had only needed 52 and 45 minutes for Hermione and Harry respectively for Charms and 35 and 45 minutes for Transfiguration. The OWLs were three hour tests for Fifth years. The examiners were now scrambling to get the Defense, Runes, Potions and Arithmancy tests to Hogwarts for the afternoon.

Dumbledore had requested the Herbology and Potions OWLs and NEWTs for Dan and Emma, but had received a flat "no" from a mid-level manager in the examiners office. Somewhat surprised, the Headmaster had stood to his full height and then browbeat the bigoted paper-pusher into submission, but only barely. They'd take their tests tomorrow when their kids expected they'd be taking their practicals for all the OWLs.

Harry had been mulling over an idea and wanted some input so he said "Hey, I've been thinking. The change in our ages is going to be news soon. We are all well known throughout the Wizarding community. What do you say we beat the Prophet to the punch and give an interview? Get it all over at once, on our terms."

Minerva sat back in her chair "I never really thought about it like that, but I see what you mean. Good idea Harry" and she smiled "ten points to Gryffindor" and they all laughed.

A/N

1) I own nothing

2) Mi gruagach dubh (me grew-ah doo) is Scottish Gaelic for "my dark haired lass."

3) I just wanted to stress that the old woman is not imposing the price on Minerva, she's merely the messenger.

4) Recommendation for the chapter is The Jungle Books, by Rudyard Kipling. See note 7.

5) The Young Turks were a coalition of various groups favoring reforming the administration of the Ottoman Empire starting in the 1870s through the turn of the Twentieth Century. Sharing a thinking style, they were progressive, conflicting with the status quo. They did have a common goal, initially, in reform, believing in a parliamentary system, rather than a monarchy or theocracy

6) Thanks to Alorkin for the "Voldy and the Voldettes" comment. When I read that in his review, I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard.

7) I never really liked Vixen as the name for Hermione's Animagus form but couldn't think of anything else at the time. It was literally the last thing in the chapter done. I wrote it with "xxxx" for her name all the way through and I needed to get the chapter out. I was driving home the other day and thought to myself "Hey self, what was Mowgli's wolf-mother's name in The Jungle Books? The real books by Kipling, not the Disney goof-a-long. Raksha was her name and she was feared by Shere Khan the tiger and by "the people" of the Seeone wolf pack because she was the most vicious fighter of them all, yet opened her heart and took in her little frog, Mowgli. After I wrote the first fight with Cuchulainn, I knew that she was Raksha. If you have the time, read The Jungle Books. If you don't have the time, make it. They are fantastically colorful stories with metaphor and philosophy galore splattered throughout. We've all heard about Mowgli, but the Disney movie is only one of the stories (and poorly done at that) and there are five more about Mowgli, plus Toomai, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, Kaa, Bagheera, Hathi, Baloo and the others.

8) For those of you that are unaware MI-5 is the informal name (and more well known name) for the Security Service of the United Kingdom which handles Counter-Intelligence and internal security. For the Americans, think Department of Homeland Security (which includes the FBI. Yes, it's split with Justice). MI-6 is the informal name for the SIS (Secret Intelligence Service) which is the UK's external intelligence organization. Again, for the Americans, think CIA.

-->