Unofficial Portkey Archive

Destiny’s Ghost by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Destiny’s Ghost

JadeLMSkywalker

AN: I would like to take this moment to thank all of you who have reviewed and to answer some of your questions. I was asked if I would be posting every 7 to 10 days, yes this is true, due to things beyond my control. I was also told that it would be better to read this in past tense. I have thought about this, and I would like to explain why I used present tense. You see as things happen as you read them, they are happening at that moment in time, not before or after just then. I would also like to say, yes it is Lily as in Lily Potter and you will come to find a different Lily soon. The time difference between the two worlds is important to the story, but not to the plot if that makes sense. The six month time period might seem cruel and all, but it is needed evil as you will soon learn. Evan 'Harry' must be able to stand his own ground before being reunited with his family, which he doesn't know is coming. His eye coloring will be explained much later on so I will have to ask for your patience in that along with some of the other questions. I hope this helps to answer some of your questions, if not feel free to email me, but please put something like 'destiny's ghost' or something that will tell me it isn't just an advertisement. Thanks again to all of you who have reviewed. Please R/R. Jade.

Chapter Eleven

Chaos and Introductions

The four Professors enter the Great Hall at a dead run, only stopping once they were in the room. "Sinatra," Albus calls, "alert the Ministry," he orders as she nods her head and rushes from the room. "Flitwick," he says to the short man in front of him, "alert the order," he asks and Flitwick nods his head and runs as fast as his feet can carry him. There is tenseness about the room everyone knows; this just might be the last moments of their lives. For there is no way they can fight against an army of Voldemort's followers, not now, not when there are so few of them. "Prepare for battle," Dumbledore orders the group of friends in front of him.

As everyone makes their way to the front doors Minerva whispers to Dumbledore, "What are we going to do," she asks.

"I don't know," Albus admits, "I didn't have any warning," he says with a shake of his head.

"We are going to die," Minerva admits dejectedly.

"We are if you keep thinking that," Albus counters.

"The Ministry, the Order doesn't have enough time to get here," Minerva points out, "what're we going to do," she re-asks.

"Hope for a miracle," Albus answers softly.

"At least the students aren't here," Mrs. Sprout can be heard saying. Everyone can't help but agree with her words, including Severus.

They push the doors open and their hearts drop to the floor as they see an army of evil headed straight for them. "We're doomed," the new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor proclaims loudly and then does the most amazing thing anyone has ever seen. He drops his wand and runs for the Forbidden Forest screaming all the while.

"I must admit," Albus says unable to stop a chuckle from passing his lips even in this most dire of situations, "that's the shortest time anyone has held that position, a new record I believe," he finishes amused despite himself.

"Please tell me he isn't about to offer us lemon drops," Lily laughs out in question as she moves to the side taking position to defend Hogwarts at any cost, including her life.

"Would you like some," Albus asks trying to sound hopeful as he too takes his position.

"Now, now children," Severus calls out as he too takes his place.

"Oh my," Mrs. Sprout says in shock, "did Professor Snape just joke," she laughs.

"I am surrounded by incompetent idiots," Severus hisses in return; before anyone can comment on this latest turn of events the army before them makes themselves known, forces themselves to be the center of attention to the protectors of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

To those who are from Muggle background or know of Muggle movies the sight before them unwillingly brought to mind the battle of Gettysburg during the Civil war. Rows upon rows of dark creatures lead the way for the human forces of Voldemort's army. The first two rows consist of Dementors, closely followed by three rows of various demons, then a row of giants mixed with what seems to have been a row of trolls, and then it seems to be the more supposed human forces.

"For once I have to agree with the DADA teacher," Vector says with a cracked voice, "I hate to say it, but unless help gets here and soon, we're doomed," Vector repeats reluctantly.

"On my mark start our defense," Dumbledore orders knowing that Vector has said the truth. As the army approaches in what seems to be fast forward, Albus shouts out loudly over the roaring of the enemy, as the cold from the Dementors, "those who can produce a Patronus do so, the rest do what you can, NOW!" he orders.

In that instant the battle for their lives, the battle of Hogwarts began. A battle each secretly believes will be the end of them, a battle that will sway the way of the war. With the fall of Hogwarts comes the fall of all hope for peace to ever return to the Wizarding world or the Muggle world afterwards. Within minutes the imamate loss is presented to everyone with pressing clarity as the last Patronus fails and the cold starts to invade their thoughts, their minds flooding with their most inner horrors.

A resounding CRACK is heard throughout the battle causing a pause in the advance as the enemy try and figure out what the noise was and where this new threat is. This action gives the Professors a needed moment to recuperate. "What was that," Mrs. Sprout pants out in question as everyone looks around the field in question.

"If I didn't know any better," Lily says in between gulps of breath, "I would say someone just Apparated," she huffs out.

"But we all know that's impossible," Minerva breaths out as she tries to control not only her breathing but the shivers from the Dementors.

"Ah," a foreign voice says with amusement at their words. "I believe I do the impossible," the voice continues as everyone whips around to look at the newcomer. Only to find a figure hidden deeply within a hooded cloak, they know he is a male only because of his voice, they don't know anything else about this person.

"Who are you," Flitwick demands as he joins the others.

"Who I am is of no importance," the newcomer says as he stands up from his place on the railing of the steps. "What is important is to prevent this army from winning," the voice says as he steps down a couple of steps thus placing distance between him and the others. "Those of you who can produce a Corporal Patronus do so when I do, the rest of you don't bother with the Dementors, work on the others," he orders as he continues to slowly make his way down the stairs.

"Who is that," Minerva demands.

"As he says it doesn't matter at the moment," Albus points out, "Just do as he says," he orders to the shock of everyone there.

The figure of a man steps off of the steps and reaches into the sleeve of his left arm and removes his wand, pointing it in front of him he closes his eyes and sees faces of people he knows he will never see again. With a whispered spell his new and improved Patronus forms before him. To be precise, his four forms appear before him, his original one of a stag, a grim figure like that of Sirius, a werewolf, and a phoenix only to be shortly joined by the Professors who can still produce their Patronus.

The figure steadily walks toward the line of now dispersing Dementors, forcing his Patronus onto them with an unrelenting force. He knew what needs to be done, he has done it before. He may not like it, but he knows it is required if this day is to end as it should. Raising his left hand he takes the wand from his right and into his left, he then raises his right hand and concentrates on the palm of his hand. A plan he came up with after he had informed the Ministry of impending attack, who should be arriving about now, he mentally timed. Just as he figured the sounds of Apparating could be heard over the battle cries of the advancing army. The only problem is they are behind the army when they are needed in front of it. This was what this figure had been thinking about since this morning. "Illusion," he whispered under his breath as he whipped his right hand to his side and behind him.

Almost instantly the battle increased in its furiousness, a large number of people came running from behind the school and joining up with the figure to fight against the advancing army. The professors continued to shoot off curses and spells, but there was a dramatic pause as they watched the newcomers with awe, wondering how they got onto Hogwarts grounds through the wards. This however seemed to be the least of their thoughts as the battle before them demanded their attention once again. Mrs. Sprout shouts out in pain as a stray curse hits her arm. Luckily it isn't anything permanent but it is damaging, thus taking her out of the battle.

Evan and his new forces steadily make their way through the remaining Dementors, the rest having retreated to safety. It was only moments later he found himself face to face with a demon; he smiles softly and slightly bows to the figure before him causing the figure to pause out of curiosity for it is a sign only known amongst the demons, a sign of wishing to speak. Something that must be granted as demanded in the laws of Demonology. "If you leave now you will not be harmed," Evan offers.

"Why would I believe you human," the demon asks.

Evan knows when you speak to one demon you more or less speak to them all, he looks up at the figure before him before lifting his empty right hand and removing the hood of his cloak. Allowing the demon before him to see not only his face but also his black eyes, this causes the demon to pause even more so, this also in effect causes all of the demons to pause. "I know of your secrets," Evan tells them, "if you leave now and never return to this place I will not kill you, if you decide to stay your death is your own," he says in the way commonly known to the demons.

"Why should I trust you," the demon asks softly after a moment to talk to the others.

"This fight is not yours," Evan points out truthfully and the demon reluctantly nods his head in agreement of his statement. "You know you'll receive nothing for your services; I promise nothing save this, if you stop now and leave nothing will happen to you today. I will not promise tomorrow or the next battle at which we may face each other, which I hope we never will. But today I will promise to grant you leave, nothing less and nothing more, take it or leave it," Evan offers on last time.

The demon looks to his left, then to his right and then finally turning to look at Evan, "very well human, but before we leave may we have your name," he asks.

"I am known here as Evan Knight," Evan answers with a slight shrug, "but my birth name is Harry James Potter," he answers truthfully and honestly. Something he knows you must do with demons for they can see when you lie. Something Voldemort never took the time to learn, something that has saved Harry and his friends from an untimely death before.

"You speak truth young Knight," the demon says as he and the rest of his kind bows to him and instantly seemingly melt into the ground beneath them.

"I thought you might see things my way," Evan says with another slight bow of thanks as he continues on to the Giants and Trolls as he ignores the sounds from the shocked people behind him.

Minerva watches as the cloaked figure bows to the demon, "what, is he doing, "she asks.

"I don't know, but the demon hasn't attacked him yet," Lily points out just as curious.

Just then the figure in question removes his hood the group of professors gasp in shock, "he just a kid," Severus all but pouts out in shock.

"I think we have located the disturbance," Dumbledore mutters as they watch all the demons pause in their attack.

"You think he's," Minerva starts but is unable to finish her question.

"Who else could it be," Albus asks in return.

"Why is he talking to them," Mrs. Sprout asks as she tries to continue to fight, "and what is he saying," she continues.

"I don't know," Lily says, "but it seems whatever he's saying it's working," she continues as the demons turn toward the figure and bow slightly to him and to the amazement of everyone there the demons simply melt away.

"Interesting," Dumbledore says in awe.

"Extremely," Severus agrees in shock.

"All that leaves now is the giants, trolls and Death Eaters," Flitwick says jovially.

"Right," he says incredulously, "and they're just a simple walk in the park," Severus asks with disgust.

"The Ministry said they have already sent troops here," Sinatra shouts as she runs out of the doors to help in the battle.

"How did they know," Minerva asks as she throws another stunning spell at a Giant.

"They said they received an anonymous call and decided it was best to check it out," Sinatra answers with a shrug.

"So it was the Aurors who Apparated behind the Death Eaters then," Lily asks hoping equally that her husband is here and that he isn't.

"Apparently," Minerva says to the rest of them.

"Then who are these blokes," Flitwick asks as he indicates the army in front of them.

"Haven't a clue," Minerva, Lily and Albus answer as one.

"Well who ever they are we owe them," Flitwick admits with a shrug.

"That we do," Albus says with a nod.

Evan looks at the mass gathered before him and instantly knows the battle is over. Voldemort has just recalled his forces. He has learned of the demons refusal to continue to fight in this battle. It seems that was his biggest plan for this particular battle. He watches as the Trolls, Giants and Death Eaters make their way out of the Hogwarts wards so they can Apparate or Portkey, in the case of the Trolls and most of the Giants, away. "Those Trolls reek something awful," Evan whispers with a shake of his head as he tries unsuccessfully to get the smell out of his system. Looking down he realizes for the first time he hasn't gotten by in this battle unscathed, "looks like it's to the cleaners with you," he says to his cloak and his uniform as he tries to ignore the chill in his bones from his encounters with the Dementors. Sensing something he looks up into the sky only to smile in recognition.

The group of relieved Professors watches the strange stranger looking skyward as though he is expecting to see something. Albus looks upwards as well and is shocked with what he sees. He quickly looks down at the figure below.

Evan sighs shakily as he places his now broken in wand back into its holster and reaches out his shaking arm, damn those Dementors anyway, as not just one but two Phoenix's land on him, Fawkes on his outstretched arm and Artoo on the opposite shoulder. "Hello Fawkes," Evan greats the great bird with a small smile, "I see you met Artoo," he says as he looks over to his own familiar to be greeted with a butt of his head to his own. Evan laughs at this; it was something he learned was very rare for a Phoenix to ever do. It means the Phoenix has more or less adopted you into their clan, the fact one of his Animagus forms is a Phoenix helps. Not only is his form a Phoenix but he also has the ability to speak to all of the animals, not only just snakes, but all of them. At least he thinks.

Reaching into his pocket with his free hand as Fawkes makes his way up to Evan's shoulder, Evan removes a chunk of chocolate to help with the affects of the Dementors. Fawkes trills softly in greeting to a group of people making their way towards him. Evan looks up at them skeptically until he sees someone he knew he would, but thought he had prepared himself better. He swallows the chocolate down roughly as his Godfather steps closer to him, eyeing the two birds. "I know you know Fawkes," Evan says loud enough for Sirius and someone who looks like his father to hear, "but I doubt you have meet Artoo," he says as he tilts his head slightly in the direction of his friend.

"Who are you," Sirius demands as he tries to get passed the shock of seeing this young kid in the center of the battle, leading the horde of soldiers, "and who are they," he asks pointing his wand to the side of the kid.

Evan looks at Sirius for a moment, and then he looks to his left side to see his illusion soldiers still there, "damn I can't believe I forgot about them," he mutters not looking back at Sirius. "I am going to, well," he starts to explain but decides that since all of his illusionary soldiers still have their wands pointed to forward that Sirius won't try anything just yet.

Sirius watches in amazement, as the kid before him cusses softly and then starts to say something before he seems to decide against it. He stiffens as he sees the kid before him lift his empty right hand and closes his eyes as though in concentration, "disillusion," the kid whispers and Sirius jumps back a few steps as the army behind the kid wavers instantly out of existence.

"What the," Sirius gasps out in shock. But is cut off as James runs past him to get to his wife, it is then Sirius remembers Lily was here today. He starts to panic in fear of what she had to go through, in fear she didn't make it through.

"She's okay," Evan whispers as he watches Artoo.

"What," Sirius asks as he looks at the boy before him again trying to control his worried breathing.

"She's okay," Evan repeats with a gentle smile, "a little worse for the wear but unharmed," he continues.

"And just how would you know," Sirius almost shouts out in question.

Evan sighed softly as he looks directly at Sirius, "I know," he whispers. Turning back to Artoo on his shoulder, "I'm okay," he says to the bird as though answering the trilling sound the bird was singing to him. The bird pauses for a moment as though looking him over, before Artoo can respond Fawkes trills out again, Evan looks over at him with raised eyebrows. "Oh," he says to the bird causing Sirius to look at him strangely, though it isn't much of a change from his shocked look. "Artoo can tell you where, I have to get going," Evan says to Fawkes, "and so it seems should you, your burning day is coming and you need your rest wise one," Evan says looking Fawkes in the eyes. Fawkes trills again and takes flight to the air. "Always have to have the last word don't you," Evan shouts out to the air born figure in amusement.

"Who are you," Sirius demands once again.

"Oh relax will you," Evan says in return as Artoo takes to the air once again as he trills out his departure. Evan looks up at the Phoenix and nods his head in understanding. Evan looks back at his Godfather and shrugs slightly and then turns away from Sirius to face the figure directly behind him. Evan looks at Albus Dumbledore for a moment noticing the startled look in the twinkling blue eyes and then Evan bows slightly in greeting, "you wished to see me sir," he says as he stands up straight, as he does so he looks at the gathered group of Professors behind Dumbledore. He looks directly at the old man and raises an amused eyebrow.

"It seems we owe you a great deal Mr. Knight," Albus says in return still shocked with the respect this young man gives him.

"You owe me nothing sir," Evan returns ignoring the gasps from those behind Dumbledore and that of his Godfather.

"You're Evan Knight," Sirius demands as he places his wand away and walks to the side of James and Lily who are both staring at the young man trying to figure out why he looks so much like them. Well minus the yellowish eyes.

Evan closes his eyes for a moment as he forces himself to relax, opening his now gray eyes he looks over to Sirius, "and you're Sirius Black," he says evenly, "what does who I am have to do with anything," he asks the stunned group before him.

"How did you know who he was," James demands only to be looked over by the young man and then ignored totally. This is something James has never had happen before and is shocked by the sadness penetrating his soul.

Evan lifts the chocolate chunk to his mouth and takes a bite, "I've always disliked Dementors," he mutters to himself before he looks back at the Headmaster, "Sorry Professor, you wanted to see me," he repeats.

"What was with the army," Minerva asks before she could stop herself.

Evan moves his gray eyes over to her, "Professor McGonagall," he says softly in greeting. "The army," he starts to explain. "As you seem to be calling it," he says answering her question and ignoring her gasp of shock, "was all an illusion," he answers.

"An illusion," Lily gasps in question.

"It had to be perfectly timed with the appearance of the Aurors, the standard thirty minutes it seems," he continues as though not hearing her question. "It won't work often, but," he shrugs slightly, "I knew it would today," he finishes still looking at Minerva.

"That's quiet an illusion," Flitwick says in undisguised awe.

Evan shakes his head slightly at this, "I would much rather prefer to forget it," he more or less requests to the surprise of everyone. Turning back to Dumbledore he shrugs slightly, "Sir," he says trying to avoid the questions he knows the others want to ask.

"We need," Sirius start but stops as Evan glances over at him.

"I will owl you with my report," he says evenly.

"It seems you have us at a disadvantage," Albus says stopping Sirius from continuing.

At hearing this Evan looks back at Dumbledore with a raised eyebrow in question, "not according to my sources," he says amused by the Headmaster's words.

"Sources," Albus asks.

Evan shakes his head, "what can I do for you sir," he asks instead.

"How old are you," Lily asks.

Evan raises his shaky left hand and gently rubs his forehead, more to the point his scar as he closes his eyes. "I would like to get this over with as soon as possible so I can take care of," he starts as he points to his clothing with his right hand, "this," he finishes ignoring the gasps this causes. "So if you would do me the favor of not acting like you don't know anything about me," he says opening his eyes.

"Why do you presume to think we know anything about you," Severus Snape asks.

"Easily Professor Snape," Evan all but smirks at this, "I raised the curiosity of Mr. Ollivander," he answers with a knowingly amused look as his words cause Severus to smile, or at least scowl less then normal.

Albus chuckles at this, "that you did," he agrees. "Would you like to continue this in my office," he asks and is shocked when Evan takes a step away from him.

"Would much rather not," Evan says steadily as he controls his voice.

"Are you okay," Lily instantly asks with a look of concern.

Evan sighs at her question, "Dementors and I just don't seem to get along well is all," he says with a slight shrug. "It's gonna take me hours to get the chill out of my soul, and the voices out of my head," he admits softly. "So I would appreciate not having to remain here talking about things you already know from my file and what everyone has told you," he finishes.

"We could have our school nurse take a look at you," Minerva offers realizing he must really be suffering the effects of the Dementors much more than them because he was much closer than any of them got.

"There's no reason to bother Madam Pomfrey on my account," Evan says quickly raising his hands in refusal.

"She can help," Lily agrees hopefully.

"She can also give you detailed explanations of my medial history and a detailed exam, thank you but no thank you," Evan deducts logically. "I want to keep my personal information personal thank you very much," he finishes.

"Not very trusting are you," Sirius asks with a laugh.

"I've no reason to trust any of you, just as you've no reason to trust me," Evan counters.

"You have to start somewhere," Lily points out not understanding why his words hurt so much.

"You're here aren't you, or is it, I'm here aren't I," he says as he rubs his forehead again as though trying to chase something away.

"How about we have lunch in the Great Hall and talk," Albus offers not knowing why it is so important for this young man to remain near to him. Running a hand through his short hair Evan thinks about this request. He looks Dumbledore over, really looks him over and then reluctantly nods his head in agreement to the noisy delight of most everyone there.

"James," Sirius says, "I expect a full report," he says telling James he'll take over the Auror unit who are currently processing the captured Death Eaters and for him to stay with his wife. James smiles his thanks to his dear friend. With that Sirius takes off behind the group as they make their way to the doors of Hogwarts.