Unofficial Portkey Archive

Destiny’s Ghost by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Destiny’s Ghost

JadeLMSkywalker

A/N: This is a long one, 15 pages or something like that. Anyway I just wanted to apologize for the shortness of the last chapter and to comment on some of the reviews. It is not my intentions to make Harry/Evan look rude, condescending, or all powerful, for he isn't. He is just a teenage boy who has been thrown a very nasty hand, so he is acting the only way he knows how. As for the problems with POV, my Beta readers and I will be taking a look at it and seeing how to fix it. Sorry for that and for the other small mistakes I made, (like it appearing as though the Professors weren't really fighting) and such. I will include my response to this at the end so if you don't want to read it, you don't have to. It is just to help clear things up. Thank you to all of you who reviewed.

Chapter Thirteen

Of Being Judged and Sentenced

Albus Dumbledore pauses in his step and turns his head to see a sight he never thought possible. Severus Snape seems to be having an actual conversation with a teenager and he seems to be respectful as well. With a small smile he turns back around and continues into the castle knowing the two of them are in good hands, even though Evan looks, well, a lot like a Potter.

After a few moments all but the two and Mrs. Sprout who is in the infirmary are in the Great Hall. Minerva looks around, "where is he," she asks voicing everyone's question.

"Not to worry," Albus says soothingly as he sits down at the table in the center of the Hall. The rest slowly follow his example.

"Where's Snevillus," James asks rudely.

"James would you knock it off," Lily demands, "When are you ever going to grow up," she asks angered at her husband for his rudeness.

"I'm afraid that is not possible," a soft voice carries throughout the Great Hall. Everyone turns towards the voice to find Evan and Severus standing next to each other at the entrance to the Great Hall.

"I'm beginning to believe you're right," Lily agrees with a soft smile as she watches the two sit down as far away from everyone else as they can but not minding the other's closeness in the least. This closeness causes her pause, for not very many people give Severus a chance and more impressively it seems Severus has given him a chance as well.

"It's taken you long enough," Minerva grunts out.

"Hey," James says indignantly causing most everyone to laugh.

Evan leans forward placing his elbows on the table and his head in his hands and closes his eyes; he stretches out with his senses, as he stretches out to the building. He can't and doesn't want to stop the smile from crossing not only his face but his soul as well, as Hogwarts greets him like the son the castle believes him to be. It seems to Evan his history with the castle has always been here or it came with him. With a soft sigh he feels as though a weight, he never realized was in his heart and soul, has just bee lifted. Feeling a little more at peace Evan sits back and opens his eyes to find Severus looking back at him. "Imitation or real," Severus asks softly causing everyone at the table to wonder just what they had talked about and what has happened to the greasy git of a potions teacher.

Evan thinks about it for a bit, trying to convey the truth, "it feels as though the house is the same but the furniture is different," he says after a moment.

"So it was welcoming," Severus asks interested.

"It seems she knows me well," Evan agrees with a small nod.

"She," Severus asks.

"It seems odd, well, rude for me to call her, it," Evan tries to explain. "All my life I have wondered what it would feel like to have," he pauses, "she just," he shrugs not knowing how to word it, "its like she welcomes me home," he says after a moment. "I protect her, she protects me," he says seeing the question in the man's eyes. "This is the first place I was allowed to be me, to truly be me and I took a leaf from a dear friend's book and called her, her," he tries to explain.

"She protects you," Severus asks knowing he is the only one who understands what they are talking about, and yet knowing they are the center of attention of everyone in the room.

"She has many secrets, places which not everyone knows about, but this is known," Evan continues in his soft voice. "What isn't known is her sentience," he says causing Severus eyes to widen in shock.

"Sentient," he repeats in shock.

"She was the first one I told everything to, she was the first one to see everything important, she never told anyone and she comforted me when she could," Evan says honestly.

"But she is sentient," Severus asks.

"Ask her a question, something only she would know, well, beside you," Evan suggests with a slightly raised eyebrow.

"Do you just call her, well, her," Severus asks.

"No," Evan says with an apologetic look in his eyes, "I call her Lily," he says with a shrug, ignoring the looks everyone gave the living Lily and the shock on all of their faces at this fact.

"How will I know when Lily answers," Severus asks.

"We can do this one of two ways," Evan offers, "I can tell you what it is I sense or I can transfer the sense to you," he says truthfully.

"Transfer," Severus asks questioningly.

"For that I have to touch you," Evan says hesitantly, "and you have to let me in," he continues and then thinks about it. "It doesn't have anything to do with Legilimency or Occlumency at all, its more of opening your mind to the sensation, opening you mind to the possibility," he corrects his error.

"Does the question have to be about me," Severus asks not believing he is actually considering this.

"No," Evan says after a moment to think. "But know if it doesn't pertain to you, you will only get a feeling, not thoughts," he explains.

Severus sits back for a moment, "what kind of touch," he asks after a moment.

"Just my hands on yours around the wrists," Evan answers honestly. "Hermione and I do this often; Ron thinks it's Wicked, Gin and Neville are weary of the feelings, the answers. Hermione loves to do this in the library, the two of them get along splendidly," Evan says without really thinking about it and then reality hits him and he sighs sadly.

Severus realizes he just received information Evan didn't mean to give, information about people he was forced to leave. This puzzles him to think about, for he knows this boy hasn't been here for the past five years and yet he acts as though he has. Severus shocks everyone as he starts to roll up his sleeves to allow access to his wrists, thus giving everyone a view of his dark mark. Minerva inhales deeply not wanting to see the reaction Evan will have with being face to face with a Death Eater. Even Albus is surprised with this event; he had been trying for years to get Severus to understand the mark isn't what he is. "Where do you want me to place my hands," Severus asks the young man before him. Everyone stairs at the two in total shock for they know Evan seen the mark and yet it seems he doesn't care about it in the least.

"In front of you, on the table is fine," Evan answers as he starts to pull at something on his own wrists, "you can ask her your question as I remove my gloves," Evan says into everyone's thoughts.

Severus smiles at this, "Lily," he says looking upward into the enchanted ceiling, "what was your first feelings toward Evan here and how has these feelings progressed throughout his time here," he asks as he looks down at the closed eyes of the boy before him who reaches out with his hands and clasps his fingers around Severus's wrists softly and gently as a ghost, he hardly knows their there.

"Close your eyes and allow the feeling to dance over your skin," Evan whispers. Severus closes his eyes and tries to relax his senses only to instantly inhale in shock. He can feel the pleasure of seeing someone so young, a baby, and a baby with a destined future of pain. The pleasure turns to sadness as the truth of this young one's future is predicted and told. He lets out an expulsion of breath as the senses change to when Evan came to the sorting; humor is clearly evident, humor at his shyness and sadness at his loss. Suddenly he gasps again as the different feelings start to fly by him so fast he can only catch glimpses of them, pride, love, pain, horror, fear, sadness, worry, protectiveness, understanding, care, acceptance, and loyalty a loyalty so deep and pure he knows he has never seen the likes of. Suddenly the feelings show of an absence and then a reunion, a reunion so looked forward too and wanted, a love for that of a child and a welcoming home.

Severus smiles as Evan removes his hands from him, a smile everyone knows they've never seen on his face, well at least in decades. "That was just a few moments ago wasn't it," he asks knowing it was.

"Yes," Evan answers with a nod as he places the gloves back onto his hands.

"That was amazing," Severus whispers amazed, "thank you," he says sincerely to Evan.

"It was a pleasure," Evan says honestly. "Just so you know she protects you as well," he adds on after a moment.

"Me," Severus asks surprised.

"How many places here do you know of that allows you know if someone is coming," Evan asks knowingly. "She does it because she knows you need it, your own personal nightlight if you will," he says with a shrug.

"I've always wondered about that," Severus admits. "At least now I know I'm not talking to myself," he says with a smirk.

"Hardly," Evan agrees with a small smile.

"When did you learn of her," Severus asks realizing he too is calling the castle a, her, and he finds he is perfectly okay with that.

"Oddly enough when I just finished showering," Evan says with a deep blush causing Severus to chuckle.

"I bet that was a bit odd," he says trying not to laugh out right.

"You've no idea," Evan agrees. "You don't know how fast I covered up, only to end up on my arse," he says with a small laugh, which causes everyone, including Severus to chuckle.

"Who's Lily," James asks totally lost.

Severus jumps at the sound of James voice. He had forgotten they weren't alone, something that has never happened before. "Potter," Severus snarls only to stop at the snort coming from Evan.

"Lily is Hogwarts just as Hogwarts is Lily," Evan answers before Severus can cut into James.

"You named the school Lily," Minerva asks.

"We kind of named each other," Evan says with a shrug. "You see she has a sense of humor, a sense of irony it you will," he finishes.

"You named her Lily," Lily says feeling oddly pleased, "what did she name you." she asks curiously.

"She calls me her little Phoenix," Evan answers in a whisper.

"Little Phoenix," James repeats in question, "is that why Fawkes and the other Phoenix came to you," he asks.

"Yes and no," Evan says in return. "Fawkes was telling me off for not coming to see him as soon as I arrived, he was a tad upset with me," he admits. "Just so you know, never piss him off," he informs them.

"And the other Phoenix," Albus asks.

"You mean Artoo," Evan asks.

"That's what you called it," James nods in agreement.

"Artoo is my familiar, along with Hedwig," he informs them.

"It is almost impossible for someone so young to have a Phoenix as a familiar," Albus says.

"Artoo has more or less adopted me and my friends," Evan says with a knowing nod.

"He butted you," Albus points out.

"He calls me son, Fawkes calls me young one and the last time we seen each other, he called me his reluctant grandson," Evan says with a shrug.

"You say they call you these things," Minerva says.

"You want to know how I know what they mean," Evan asks. "I understand them," he says after seeing her nod in agreement. "Artoo and Hedwig are more than just familiars, they're more than friends, they're part of our family," Evan answers truthfully. "Everyone loves them and they love everyone. It is just accepted they're family. They're usually there with us when we eat, they're always there during our down time; they even help with the conversation. The two of them are the best of friends which is odd because Hedwig is an owl," he says surprising everyone with this fact. Everyone knows Phoenix's don't mind owls, but refuse to share their masters with one, or any other flying animal.

"How did you meet," Minerva pauses.

"Artoo," Evan supplies.

"Are too," she says again.

Evan smiles at this, "It's just one word, don't worry Ron had the same problem," he says remembering that day again. "Artoo comes from the Muggle world, it's spelled A, R, T, O, O, but is short for R2D2 from the stories of Star Wars. As for how I met the runt," he says looking upward toward the rafters, the enchanted ceiling to the see the creature they are talking about soaring down to him. As Artoo hears his words he trills out in return. "And you know I'm kidding you, you nut," Evan says in reply as the bird lands on the chair next to him. "You were given to me for a birthday present," he says still looking at Artoo as he reaches out to pet his feathers.

"You do know about the names of the Phoenix," Albus asks as he softly claps his hands causing food and drinks to appear on the table before them.

"Yes," Evan agrees as he reaches for a mug of hot chocolate before him. Looking up again, "thanks for telling the Elves," he says softly. Severus realizes whom he's talking to and smiles as he realizes what Evan is talking about. Everyone else was given pumpkin juice, but Evan had hot chocolate. This confuses everyone, but they decide to let it pass. "I know Fawkes was your father's before you, thus you don't know the importance of his name," Evan says after taking a drink from the mug. "I had Artoo for about a week, my friends thought I was pulling their leg," he says with a smirk. "It was funny, Ron wouldn't believe he was my familiar and we kind of got into a pillow fight about it," he says with a shake of his head at the memory. "He kept saying is not, to which I would reply is so and then once I said are too," he shrugs at this point looking over at Artoo who is listening to this tale once again and doesn't seem to mind.

"Hermione recognized the importance of the character and knew instantly why the name is fitting for him." Evan continues. "R2D2 is a loyal and trusting friend to Luke Skywalker, someone Luke knows he can trust with his life and his secrets, but most important he can trust R2 with the lives of his family, and something I know I can trust you with," He says to the bird beside him. "The name has its meaning, a meaning more powerful than we first thought, for he isn't just my familiar, he is Ron's, Ginny's, Hermione's, Neville's and mine. He's part of our misshaped clan, but everyone works perfectly together," Evan says still petting Artoo who trills in agreement. "I miss them," he says to Artoo who trills louder and nods his head. "I know you do too," Evan smiles back at him.

"Must be some friends," Severus says after a moment of silence.

Evan looks up at Severus and nods his head in agreement. "We met," he pauses, "most of us met either on the Express or just before. Ron and I turned out to be instant friends. Hermione joined our ranks on Halloween, we became the trio instantly after that," he smiles slightly. "Hermione has a strange sense of definition," he mutters still amused with her definition of light reading. "Ginny and Neville joined us just after our fourth year," he says with a shrug. "We were friends and all before then, they just weren't part of the, um, group," he tries to explain truthfully. "With Ginny she was kind of stuck, Ron being her brother and all, I kind of took up protecting her as well. Her first year proved that. Over time we might as well have been brother and sister as well. The five of us are inseparable, where one is the rest usually are there as well or will be very shortly. We surpassed friends long ago and went straight to family to beyond family," he explains to Severus.

"Do they mind your abil..," James starts but stops as Lily smacks his arm.

"Do they mind my abilities," Evan finishes the question. "They were weary of it at first. The strange thing is they are the ones who I can feel most. The people I know, that I become familiar with are the ones I can feel, sense if you will at any distance, time, or place. I can't sense people I don't know. Well except for the glances and when they are yelling it at me," he tries to explain. "For example I wouldn't be able to sense you," he says looking at James and then over to Lily, "or you," he continues. "If I took off the arm band," he pauses as he looks over at Dumbledore, "bracelet," he corrects amused. "I would be able to get the general idea of what you are feeling and or thinking, but it's limited and annoying," he shrugs as he says this last part as he picks up the mug again and takes another sip.

"So you aren't a full one," James continues to ask once again getting smacked.

"No thank Merlin," Evan answers, "Had I been I would have been insane long before now," he pauses, "well more insane than I already am," he corrects causing most there to chuckle at his antics.

"How," Flitwick asks but stops not knowing what it is he really wants to ask.

"For me to hear everything from a stranger, if you will, with the arm band, um, bracelet on," Evan starts to answer, "I have to have physical contact, which is why I purchase the gloves, to avoid getting to know someone without their knowledge, minus the fact when they are more or less yelling out their feelings, thoughts and what not," he pauses. "Though this ability has aided us in the war, but I don't like to use it. Hermione gets mad at me when I try to avoid contact," he stops there. "Anyway, the sight part of it is also physical to some extent, well, if it is to be localized then it is, but," he pauses. "I'm here," he shrugs. "Sometimes I can see things, events and such, but since I have on the arm band or bracelet, it isn't based on personal information, just general. Such as a battle, an unknown attack, something that should be prevented or at least seen. Hermione calls them preventable visions of the future, for every one of them that give me enough information to help prevent them, or they just have me watch, unable to do anything. Hermione tells me I am meant to save some, but I can't be expected to save all, for some it is their time and others its not," he tries to explain.

"So it's not happening always," Minerva asks interested.

"Once I couldn't even help Neville locate his wand, we found this hilarious to no extent. It wasn't until he would need it that I could locate it. Though how it got on top of the tent I'll never know, I still say the twins had something to do with it," he says with a small smile at the memory. "The only reason I could locate it at all was because I know his sense, a sense that transfers to your wand with use, it is this sense that makes a wand personalized if you will. This is what taints the wand's abilities," he tries to explain honestly. "So no it's not happening all the time, I have gotten pretty good with Occlumency and all and this also aides in preventing me from hearing other's thoughts or them hearing my projected thoughts," he says as he takes another drink of his chocolate.

"Can you," James pauses for a moment to think and it is here it becomes very evident Evan had been telling the truth. For where he could answer Flitwick's partial question, he seems unable to figure out what James is trying to get out. "You know," James tries to continue with his question, "turn it on," he finishes after a moment.

"Do you mean for me to be able to force a vision, to force a feeling," Evan asks for clarification.

"Well, yeah," James agrees with an enthusiastic nod.

Evan pauses for a moment as he takes another drink from his seemingly bottomless mug. "Yes," he finally says in a softer voice than his usual quiet voice.

"I gather you don't like to," Albus asks wondering at the change in tone.

"No, I don't," Evan answers instantly.

"Why," Minerva asks curious.

"For many reasons," Evan starts, "there are different types of ways of turning it on," he tries to explain. "I believe Mr. Potter here was asking about forced visions of battles and such," he says looking to James for confirmation, which he receives. "This is more difficult than to see if a Professor is lurking around the corner, or whether or not Hermione will finally miss a test question. The more mundane the easier it is, the less painful, if you will. However the last time I forced myself to see an up coming battle I was unconscious for a week and a half," he explains to the shocked group with him. "Molly, Hermione and Ginny therefore prohibited, forbade if you prefer, for me to ever try that again," he says with a small chuckle at the memory. "You should've seen their combined lecture, though I wouldn't suggest hearing it. That was one of the very few times I've ever heard any of them curse," he shakes his head. "To piss one of them off separately is bad enough, but together," he groans at the memory causing everyone to chuckle. "Needless to say I haven't done it since," he finishes.

"So forcing a vision hurts," Severus asks concerned what he felt earlier had hurt the child.

"If I try and force a vision, yes, but stretching out my senses, no," Evan tries to clarify.

"Stretching out," Lily repeats in question.

"Oh," Evan says realizing they don't really understand. "How many here know anything about Star Wars," he asks. Lily, Minerva, James, and Albus raise their hands slightly saying they have. Evan looks over to Severus, "you felt what I was talking about," he asks and Severus nods in agreement. "It's like the Force, there's a sense that everyone gives off. Hermione calls it Shadowing, Shadow Echoing or shadows after the fact, like when you lean up against the wall you leave a small imprint of your personality there, I can sense these for somewhere between two and three weeks, though the longer your there the stronger the sense. As for Foreshadowing, each person kind of forces there personality out and away from them, it's kind of like what helps you to decide if you might like a person or not, a feeling," he tries to explain to them. "So like the Force it surrounds us all and binds us together," he points out. "Now when I stretch out, it's like stretching out with the Force to feel others, or I am pushing my own personality, if you will, out to feel other personalities," he finishes.

"How is it you came to take not only your O.W.L. s but your N.E.W.T. s as well," Albus asks knowing everything he's hearing is truth or at least part of it.

"It seems things in my life were getting slightly out of hand, so my Headmaster made it possible for me to train to defend myself. Once I got started, it was foreseen I should continue, thus I received Auror, Unspeakable, and Military training at the same time," Evan says repeating what he knows is in his files.

"That type of training can take up to six years," James points out.

"When you have Ron and Hermione as friends, things just seem to go by quicker," Evan answers illusively.

"How long did it take you," Lily asks curiously.

"I am afraid you wouldn't believe me if I told you," Evan says as he picks up his mug again.

"Does that mean you aren't going to tell us," Minerva asks.

"No," Evan says to her putting the mug down. "Through out my time here," he starts to explain, "I was able to pick up the more difficult spells and such much quicker than the professors thought possible. By the end of my first year, I was more or less able to do fourth year spells easily. In my third year I learned to do my Patronus," he pauses as everyone gasps in shock.

"Students normally learn the theory about Patronus in seventh year but most can't even do it," James says in shock.

"Circumstances caused the necessity for me to protect myself from Dementors so I asked my D.A.D.A. Professor at the time to help," he answers evenly. "So when the time came to learn it, it took a lot less time then you could believe. My Headmaster took me as his Apprentice and he taught me everything he knew. Which I might add is a lot to take in. Hermione is still jealous of this, but she is pleased I am passing the knowledge onto her," he pauses, "or at least was," he corrects.

"What is your position on the war," Lily asks as she remembers the list of books he had purchased.

"What kind of position are you asking about," Evan asks.

"Do you agree with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named," Flitwick asks.

Evan shakes his head as he hears Flitwick, "he calls himself Voldemort," Evan corrects causing some to stare at him and others to glare or gasp at the words.

"Interesting," Albus says.

"That I know his name is not Voldemort or that I have no problem saying it," Evan asks.

"Both," Albus says with a nod.

"Why should I fear his title, why should I fear the man," Evan asks.

"Everyone else does," Lily says.

"Does this include you," Evan asks as he looks at her. "Besides I'm not everyone else, I am me," he says with a shrug.

"No one who fights him lives to tell the tale," James explains.

"Well, I for one know Moldy-wart needs to take a bath," Evan says and then turns to look at Severus as he snorts in disbelief. "What," Evan asks amused.

"Not only do you say his name, but you make fun of it," Severus explains.

"What's the worse he can do to me," Evan asks in explanation.

"Death," Lily says instantly.

Evan looks over at her, "Death is only the next step in the great adventure," he says to her in return. "Think about what I'd do, who I'd see," he says to her. "I'd see my parents, my Godfather, finally find out about my Godmother, I'd see my first friend, my father's last friends, the Grangers, my Headmaster and Headmistress, I'd be free of the burden life sees fit to give me," he says to her. "I'm not afraid of death," he says to her shocked look. "When the time comes I will embrace it," he says.

"So you wish to die," James says fearfully.

"No," Evan says in answer. "I'd disappoint my friends and my family if I did. I want to live my life to its fullest, but I will not run away from death, nor will I fear it," he says. "So I ask again, what's the worse he could do," he repeats.

"Cause you to go insane," Lily tries again.

Evan thinks about this for a moment, "He could," he finally concedes in agreement. "However there's something about my abilities that would kill me before they would allow that to happen," he explains. "Therefore, we are back to death," he says to her.

"There's the pain," James says as he thinks about the Cruciatus curse.

"There is that, but," Evan says to James as his eyes widen as he realizes Evan has already thought this through. "What is more painful for me than my own pain? What is more painful for me is the pain of my family and others," he explains to the shocked group.

"So you're against him," Flitwick asks again.

"More than you know," Evan agrees.

"Do you hate him," Albus asks wondering at this young man's words.

"No," Evan says instantly. "To hate him is to put myself at his level, but I hate what he does," he explains as Albus nods his head in agreement.

"Have you every experienced the Cruciatus Curse," Minerva asks wondering if he understands what kind of pain they are referring to.

"Yes," Evan answers honestly causing everyone there to gasp, "many times," he finishes.

"How old were you when you first," Minerva asks but drops off.

"I was fourteen," Evan answers anyway.

"So about a year ago," Lily asks.

"Almost two," Evan corrects.

"Who put the curse on you," James asks.

"The answer to that question would take too much of an explanation, too much of a history lesson if you will. There for I will have to ask that you ask me that question again at a later time," Evan asks.

"So you won't tell us," Lily asks sadly, hating this feeling of hurt at his words and not understanding why it hurts so much.

"Not at this time," Evan agrees with her statement.

"Because it has to do with your past," Minerva says as she remembers what he said earlier about Madam Pomfrey and what Tom had told them.

"Because the events leading up to it would require for you to know everything about me and where I come from," he agrees with her statement.

"But doesn't this constitute as a lie," Minerva asks.

"I have not lied to you, I just haven't given you the information you have requested," Evan points out to her causing her to realize he is right. "I have deflected your question onto other matters if you will," he continues.

"But why won't you answer it," Lily asks.

"It's personal," Evan says in return.

"And," James almost shouts out in frustration.

"How would you like for me to ask you a personal question just as painful," Evan counters softly before Severus can say anything. Evan knows that look, he has been on the receiving end of that snarl many times, and lost many house points for it as well.

"Go ahead," James says without thinking.

"I truly don't think you want me to," Evan says in response to his dare.

"I will answer it and then you have to answer ours," James offers.

Evan takes another drink as he thinks about his offer and then realizes the problem is the answer. "Very well Mr. Potter, if you can fully answer my question then I will answer yours," he says with a nod. "But if you don't answer, neither will I," he offers as James rubs the palms of his hands together in excitement, knowing there is nothing this kid can asks that he won't be able to answer.

"Deal," James says.

"It has many parts, for my answer would require a lot of explanation," Evan warns.

"Ask away," James almost laughs at how easy this is going to be.

"Very well," Evan says as he looks straight at James, "you can't say you weren't warned," he says giving him one last time to back out of this.

"I have been warned and I accept the risk of this question," James agrees not understanding why Evan seems to think he won't answer.

"Very well," Evan says as he picks up his mug again and takes a sip of the rich chocolaty drink. As the chocolate enters his body he closes his eyes tracing the sensation of the calming, the slight warming of his soul with each swallows. "On Halloween night, when your eldest son was a year old," Evan says as he opens his eyes and looks at James and recognizes the fear in them. "Sirius was your secret keeper; he tried to talk you out of it, he tried to talk you into someone else, who? You were going into hiding to protect not only yourselves but your son, something you never told anyone," he says to their shock. "I won't say why, but know that I do know. However, I also know that for some reason Voldemort chose another. Things happened, what are these things, why did you make the choices you did, did you know who the traitor was that night, what were your feelings during your secret time, what are your thoughts on the prophecy and what happened to the Longbottom's, how would you have reacted in the same situation, would you've wanted to survive if someone in your family had died, did you plan it all out before hand, for the situation, for your future and Harry's? Did you understand the consequences of your actions or the repercussions on the future, both on the Wizarding world and your son, basically an explanation of the events, thoughts, feelings from that dark time in your history," Evan says to him only to be followed by absolute silence.

James sits there staring at a boy who has just pulled his world out from under him. He knows there is no way he can answer those questions, there is no possible way for him to tell this boy what occurred during that time. He hasn't even been able to really talk about it at all, ever, to anyone. Everyone knows it is a subject left alone, everyone that is but one boy. Minerva shakes herself out of her shocked stare to glare at the boy before her, "those are unfair questions," she says in her sternest voice.

"That they are," Evan agrees with a nod, thus knocking the wind out of her argument. "Though yours is no less unfair," he counters.

"A lot happened during that time," Albus points out angrily.

"I understand that," Evan concedes his point staying calmer than any of them.

"Then ask another question," Flitwick demands.

"My question stands," He says in a ghostly voice as he looks over at Flitwick.

"But you said you understood," Sinatra says pleadingly.

"More than you can possibly know," Evan agrees with her.

"Then ask another question," Flitwick once again demands.

Evan sighs as he places his left elbow on the table and lowers his head to his hand. He closes his eyes as pictures flash before his minds eye. Pictures of the night when his parents were murdered and then the night in the graveyard and the events that took place on that horrible night, "the event you are requesting information about," Evan says with his eyes still closed. "Resulted in me remaining in the hospital wing with the after effects of the Cruciatus Curse being placed on me not once, but twice over an extended amount of time, I was also in a right state of shock almost to the point of bordering on catatonic. I witnessed things no one should ever have to, I was forced into situations no one should live through, part of me was used unwillingly to," he stops there and then breathes in deeply.

"I only told two people the events that took place. Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Molly, Arthur, Fred, George, Bill, Charlie, and Neville only know what was told to them at the end of the year feast, they don't know what all happened that night," Evan continues quietly though he has yet to open his eyes or lift his head. His fingers slowly trace his lightning bolt scar trying to chase the memory of the pain. "I was given Dreamless Sleep Draught almost immediately upon my arrival to the hospital wing," he says after a moment to the silent room as everyone takes a moment to understand the seriousness of his words. They know the Sleep Draught isn't used lightly and for him to be given it almost instantly says a lot.

"Now," Evan says lifting his head and opening his eyes as he turns to look at everyone, to find them looking back at him in shock. "You tell me my question is unfair," he almost growls at them. "They did not die, they were not overly harmed," he says looking directly at Flitwick, "I was forced to watch the murder of a fellow student," this time he does growl. "Now Professor Flitwick can you justify you asking me that question when I don't know you and you surly don't know me," he asks in a deathly quiet voice. The room is plunged into a deeper silence as everyone continues to stare at a fifteen year old boy, a boy who seems to have justification for not answering their question; a boy who it seems is just as justified not to trust them, a boy who isn't a boy at all. "I didn't think so," Evan whispers in answer to the quiet greeting his words.

"Who in the list is your Aunt and Uncle," Severus asks after a moment as he thinks about the things he has heard. He knows what they heard is truth and he feels for Evan and what he has been through. He knows Evan doesn't want to share this information, this pain, and he can't blame him.

Evan looks over at Severus in question, "Aunt and Uncle," he repeats for a moment. "Oh," he says after a second, "none of them," he finally answers.

"What did they feel about what happened," Severus asks, "were they the ones you told," he finishes.

Evan can't help but snort at this, "heaven's no, I never told them anything," he says as he shakes his head. "How they felt was a different matter all together," he says knowingly. "They were disappointed I was the one to return alive," he says looking directly into Severus's eyes thus allowing the man to know his words are truth.

"You're over exaggerating," Sinatra instantly says not believing anyone would be so cruel.

"Hardly," Evan says as he looks over at her.

"What do you mean," Lily asks softly as she tries to put her world back together after his question.

Evan looks over at her for a moment, "you have a sister who dislikes magic so completely right," he asks instead.

Lily's eyes widen at his words, "yeah, going way past paranoia almost to the point of violently," she admits truthfully.

"Would you stick a potentially magical child within her care," Evan asks.

"No way," she says instantly without thought.

"Right," Evan agrees with a nod, though in his mind the only thing he can think is, what if you had no choice in the matter. "My Aunt and Uncle are no different then her," he says almost smiling at the truthfulness of the statement. "I was forbidden to utter the word MAGIC in the house; I wasn't allowed to have an imagination if it couldn't be proven by science. I was a nuisance they were forced to put up with, they wanted nothing to do with me, why would I want to tell them anything and why would they want me alive," he asks not really expecting an answer.

"You want me to talk to them," Severus asks knowing if Evan says yes he will plan some very interesting potions.

Evan looks over at Severus and smiles brightly at him, "nah that's alright," he says with a shake of his head and then the smile slides off his face instantly.

"Evan," Severus asks knowing something is wrong.

"I keep forgetting," Evan whispers as he looks down at his mug. "They were murdered just after fourth year," he says.

"From your words I gather you didn't like them," Albus says, "Then if this is true why, do you care," he asks.

"I may not have liked them sir," Evan answers as he looks down the table at the man he considers a grandfather, "but I wouldn't wish them harm," he explains. "I had to stop the Wea…" he drifts off for a moment, "I had to stop my family from harming them, especially after," again he dropped off leaving more questions than answers. "They were murdered during a break in at the hotel they were staying at for their holiday," he continues. "I had to identify their remains," he pauses, "I had to identify them being their only remaining relative," he says still looking at the Headmaster. "I may not have cared for them sir, but the only thing I ever wished for was to be removed from their care, never for something to happen to them. They were family, only by blood, yes, I may not have loved them but family none the less," he explains.

Everyone thinks about this as they finally start to eat their lunch. Each person lost in their own thoughts as they think about what it is they have learned here today. As they think about things they have seen today. After about twenty minutes everyone seems to have had enough. Though Lily is worried about their young charge, she has been watching him throughout the meal and he hasn't eaten much of anything, he mostly had a chocolate pudding and his hot chocolate. Once it is clear everyone is finished eating, Albus clears the table of all but Evan's mug of Hot Chocolate, something he is surprised to see still there.

Evan sits back with a shake of his head, he knows Hogwarts is the same, but the people in it are what seems to be the biggest problem. They don't trust him and to be honest he doesn't trust them either. Something he never thought he would ever say about Albus Dumbledore and something that tears into his heart more than he ever thought possible. Isn't it enough to take the living from him, now he has to suffer the dejection from everyone he holds dear, now he has to suffer being torn from their caring trust and love, leaning forward he places his elbows on the table and buries his head into his hands knowing his life no longer holds any meaning, he has no reason to continue, if only he hadn't made that promise. His family isn't here, they are his reasons for breathing, and how he misses them. For the first time in his life he is really and truly homesick.

Artoo trills softly beside his master. Evan looks over at his friend and tilts his head slightly, "I know," he whispers to him. "I feel it too," he says in agreement. "Why here Artoo, why did he do this," he asks his friend. "He knows what is important to me, I don't want to be here, my family isn't here, I have no reason to be here, I have nothing holding me here, I have no reason," he says to his companion. Artoo sings an answer to his adopted son's questions. "This isn't my fight," he whispers after a moment, "I have already fulfilled my destiny, I won't do it again, I can't," he whispers with a shake of his head. Artoo hops up onto the table in front of Evan and trills again. Evan pauses as he thinks about what Artoo has told him, "Your request is reasonable," he says with a nod knowing they are the center of attention. "What do you suggest as our next move," he asks. Artoo responds after a moment and Evan nods his head in agreement of what he was told. After a moment Artoo takes flight, leaving behind his sad master.

Evan watches Artoo go then turns to look at Dumbledore, "I believe we have not covered what we were to have covered sir," Evan says in an even tone of voice. "So if you would be so kind as to get to the point of why you wished to see me," he asks as he folds his hands in his lap.

Albus blinks his surprise, the only outward sign of his emotions. "I wanted to see if you wished to enter your year here at Hogwarts," he says in his most even voice.

"Why would you wish for me to come when I've no need of it," Evan points out both answering and not answering.

"I've read your records," Albus says trying to head off where he fears this conversation is heading.

"Then you know I'm an independent, an adult by law and have rightfully passed both exams and have adequate training and abilities to find employment," Evan points out.

"Seeing," Flitwick asks.

"No, Seeking," Evan says with a smirk at the look of confusion crossing everyone's faces. "You know as a Seeker," he says and then shakes his head at their slowness. "As in Quidditch," he says after a moment.

"You'd probably be better off Seeing," Sinatra says with a shake of her head.

Evan shakes his head, "I don't like Seeing Professor and I don't want everyone knowing about it either," he points out. "I don't believe in Divination, something everyone would know instantly as soon they met me," he pauses, "or at least took the time to know me," he explains. "This however doesn't get us anywhere," he points out. "I've many important things to get too so if you don't mind not wasting my time," he says getting back to the original topic.

When there is no movement, no one moves made to speak Evan looks over at Severus and nods his head slightly. "It was an honor Professor; I hope to have an opportunity to speak with you again sometime. If you'll forgive me, I must be off," he says as he stands up, receiving Severus's nod in farewell.

Evan turns to the doors, "Mr. Knight," Albus calls out. Evan turns around but doesn't move back to his chair. "We aren't done," Albus points out.

"I believe we are sir," Evan points out. "You've no trust in your heart for me," he says softly barely able to keep his emotions under control. "I will not remain in a place where I'm only welcomed by two, I'm not welcome here," he says to them, "something that's a first for me," he whispers under his breath but loud enough for Severus to hear. "As much as it pains me to say this sir, but I don't trust you," Evan says forcing the words past his throat. "I don't know you and you don't know me," he continues. "The questions I've been subjected to today are more than I should've allowed, but I humored you and you accused me of lying," he says this as he looks over at Minerva and then his gaze moves to Flitwick, "and of being unfair," he continues. "Things that if you knew me would never have occurred, things that if you wanted to know me would never have occurred. I was judged and sentenced long before you seen me sir," He says to the shock of everyone there. "Consider yourselves tested," he says to their horror, "and your scores are far from passing, in fact most of you've failed," he says to them. He bows slightly, "good day," he says and then stands up straight and proceeds to walk out of the Great Hall ignoring the calls for him to stop.

As the doors to the Great Hall close behind the retreating figure of a boy who has just ripped the carpet from beneath their feet and left them there to lick their self inflicted wounds. Severus looks at the doors one last time then he looks over at the rest of the people there and then at the chair across the way. He reaches over and takes the mug Evan left there in his hands and pulls it over to his side of the table. Looking within its brown murky depths he realizes this liquid has nothing compared to the man who has just changed their worlds as they know it. He showed them their prejudices and laid them out for everyone to see. He showed their heartlessness for what it is and he pointed it all out only losing his temper, or control, once and that was when he was talking about that night. A night Severus knows is one he is glad he doesn't know about and hates that his colleagues where trying to force out of Evan.

"He's right," Severus mutters in shock. "I'm not a Death Eater," he says as he too stands up from his place at the table, "you all are," he says as he steps closer to the doors. "You have no compassion for fellow humans and you all put him through things he should never have been subjected to," he almost shouts out as he turns around. He locks eyes with the first man he ever respected, "you are suppose to be the person anyone is able to trust, you are supposed to be approachable, but you weren't," he growls out. "You pushed him away when you should have been pulling him to you," he accuses them all. "What is the matter with all of you, you just acted worse than a bunch of Death Eaters," he shouts and then grunts and strolls out of the doors as his cloak floats madly behind him.

Review Response

I would like to thank you for your review and the help. I had not
thought about POV and how confusing it can be. I will ask my beta's
to see if they can catch it as well. I will try and work with that.

As for the conversation with Fawkes, it would be kind of difficult to
make it so you (the reader) could know what he was saying and yet
still stay with the story. As for the 'Oh' part it was more in
reference to where he lives. This is why he says Artoo can show
him.

I didn't mean to make Harry/Evan sound rude or anything, just
cautious. He hasn't really decided what to do in this new place. As
for the smell, it is an after affect of the Trolls. It wasn't
anything to do with his clothing or the like. Now for his injuries,
nothing major and he didn't even notice he got him. Heat of the
battle kind of thing, where your mind is so focused you don't really notice.

As for them standing around while Harry/Evan is speaking with the
demons, um, since they aren't really being attacked per se they only
need to throw a few curses and they are doing it, I just forgot to
mention it (Oops, sorry about that).

The Professors are affected by the Dementors, but not as much as
Harry/Evan is. Even in the books he has a greater reaction to them.
His falling off of his broomstick is an example, there is nothing in
the books stating other's had fallen as well. So his reaction is
more acute than the Professors. If that makes any sense.

As for his reactions to seeing people he never thought he would, more
of it comes in the next chapter. Though he is reserved about
allowing them to know him, they are dead after all and these people,
though they look like the people he knew, have a vastly different
background.

Reactions will be seen throughout the story. Some more in depth then
others, but there will be more. A lot will happen in the next
chapter. I don't want to give it away or anything, but just to
forewarn you. Evan will come off sounding mean or rude, but that is
not my intentions. My intentions are for him to be suffering from
heartache at having to be in the same place as people he loves, but
don't know him. So his reactions are more defensive then anything.

I hope I have answered your questions, if not feel free to contact
me again. Thank you once again. If you are interested in helping
with the POV Problem just email me, I would love the help.

Jade Skywalker