Unofficial Portkey Archive

Destiny’s Ghost by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Destiny’s Ghost

JadeLMSkywalker

A/N: To those of you who have been patiently waiting for this chapter to be posted, here it is…finally. I would like to apologize for how long it has taken to get this chapter out to you. My laptop is still in desperate need of help, found out the back light has gone out and to get it fixed I'd have to send it to the manufacturer. Take this and add two other factors and it has been a long time coming. The first thing to cause this amount of time is I haven't had the mentality or the time to write, and the other thing is the disaster known as book seven. I have yet to finish reading it; in truth I am on page 330 and have (at this time) no real desire to continue reading the story. I could go on and on about it and how wrong the whole thing is to the rest of the story (just ask Wildblueyonder) but I won't bore you with that.

Needless to say I nearly didn't continue with this story. You can thank both Wildblueyonder for her questioning and my mother for the fact this is now being posted. My mother kept saying I couldn't quit, I couldn't do that to you…so here you go. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Notice: this chapter is un-beta-ed and may be updated at a later time when they decide if it passes muster or not. On this note I would like to thank my betas for all their help in bringing this story to this point.

Disclaimer: I own nothing, if I did it wouldn't be as it is and I'd be rich. Alas I am not.

Chapter Twenty-Three

Unforeseen

Three Days Later

Hogsmeade

As a cold breeze make its way along the abnormally dark country side lightning flashes in the distance followed almost instantly by the crashing sound of thunder. Even in the presence of lightning, thunder and darkness so uncommon for the noon hour no precipitation occurs. In the middle of this rather desolate weather Evan silently makes his way towards a town he first visited back in his third year…Hogsmeade. The breeze suddenly picks into a steadily gusting wind causing Evan's cloak to stream back behind him making him appear to be at a run rather than a simple stroll. To any onlooker Evan would seem to be in a world of his own, this would be misleading, for his gray eyes are taking in far more than ever thought possible. As he takes in the nearly over powering sense of gloom, sadness, and loneliness never felt before slams into him, seeping into his bones into his very soul. He doesn't know if this is caused by the state of the people in the town, the town itself, or his own heart finally forcing him to feel his isolation from his family. As he steps past the edge of town Evan watches discretely as the town folk seem to almost skitter away from his presence like roaches from a suddenly lit room. It is in this moment he is finally able to realize he is seeing an often visited dream, twisted… yes, but still a version of the dream. He has always wondered `what would the world, would life be like had I never been born?'

Evan continues steadily on his way, his steps never missing a beat as he heart clinches at the sudden bombardment of suspicion, fear and hate directed towards the new stranger in town…towards him. These feeling are so powerful they are almost tangible, corporeal. Evan feels as though he could reach out with both hands and seize these damning emotions, these emotions that are overrunning his senses. So much so that he can almost taste the instant hatred directed towards him, a most disgusting taste he can assure. He knows in his mind the cause of this overwhelming fear is that he is new and has abnormal eyes. Though Evan knows this, his heart is unable to separate from the hatred and the fear, his heart grasps these feelings, these emotions as a personal matter. So, in his heart, which he has always followed, he is once again the little freak under the stairs. As a way of protecting itself, Evan's heart shields itself from this spiteful, malicious world, a world that doesn't want him in it by retreating even further into itself and back into his five year old shell, where everybody is out to hurt little Harry Potter.

Finally arriving at his destination Evan wonders once again if he should have come, he would have been better off without feeling all of these negative emotions. Evan pauses as he turns to face the entrance to the Three Broomsticks, trying to decide if it just wouldn't be better to return to the manor. Giving himself a mental shrug, Evan almost cautiously steps into the entrance to the once lively business. A place that housed hordes of Hogwarts Students now seems to have never seen a genuine smile in all of its years of business. The door snaps closed behind him, making him startle at the sound of the suddenly deathly silent room. The fear so powerful it actually has a smell, a scent, a retched smell at that. Evan does his best to keep his mask of being unaffected, but is worried he has failed at his seemingly simple task. With a resigned sigh he allows his eyes a moment to adjust to the overly dark bar. When he feels comfortable with his sight Evan continues further into the bar going about his own business, as though the room isn't filled with the stench of fear and surrender to death.

As Evan continues into the tavern each and every eye turns in his direction and watches his every move, his every inflection, judging him as he continues forward appearing to be oblivious to their instant discrimination, their instant judgment of someone they have never seen before. Upon finally arriving at the bar he patiently waits for the waiter to collect her courage about this new stranger in her world, in a town where strangers only mean Death Eaters and the death that follow them. With a loud gulp the waiter is finally able to speak. "Can I get you something sir," she squeaks as her eyes become fixated on his lightning shaped scar only to be distracted by his gray eyes, as she settles on Evan eyes her own widen with fear, fear of the unknown, fear of the strangeness around this strange person, fear for her life. Evan sighs softly as he finds he is unable to keep from drawing his cloak securely around his thin frame, as though to buffer against the harshness of the world around him. Knowing it is a futile attempt at best to keep the feelings of the people of this town from tainting his soul. "May I have a butterbeer," he requests kindly, his voice low as he pulls out the money to pay for his order.

Finally having something for her mind to think about other than the stranger, the waiter unknowingly smiles at the odd request. The request for butterbeer all but vanished since the students from Hogwarts are no longer allowed to visit Hogsmeade, "One butterbeer coming right up," she says as she takes his payment and gives him his receipt. As the waiter does her work Evan uses the time to look around the room. Almost instantly he sees an empty table near the back of the room which is out of the way of over zealous ears and eyes, yet the table is in a place allowing the rest of the bar to be seen. A table that, as far as Evan can tell, is the same table Hermione, Ron and he used to sit at whenever they found the time to visit Hogsmeade. Evan turns back to the waiter and politely asks, "I was wondering if you would mind bringing it to me at the table back there," as he points in the direction of the table. She looks at him for a moment as though sizing him up, judging his character as being trustworthy or not; finally she seems to have made her decision, "I believe that can be arranged sir," she answers. Nodding his head Evan softly says, "Thank you," to the waiter who only nods then quickly returns to her work.

Evan turns to make his way around what appears to have become the regular customers of the Three Broomsticks, Evan ignores the glares, the warning looks from the many patrons as he makes his way to the empty table he had seen moments before. Upon finally reaching his destination, Evan slides into the same seat Ron and him always used to save for Hermione whenever they visited here. Closing his eyes, Evan unknowingly rests his left hand on the table, even though he is in another world, another dimension, he can almost feel her presence at this table, he can almost feel her insatiable need for knowledge, he can almost feel her very essence, her. Opening suddenly moist eyes he finds himself expecting to see her normal load of books that he and Ron had just carried through town. Instead of seeing this, all he sees is his left hand resting on the empty table top. Evan is barely able to stop himself from whimpering as a wave of loneliness washes over him and settle deep into his already bleeding and broken heart.

The waiter slowly steps into his field of view and he slowly looks up from the table to look at her. "Are you alright," she questions, surprising even herself with the question as she sets down his mug. Evan takes in the name on her nametag `Beverly' and mentally stores the information away for later retrieval, "I'm just remembering is all," he finds himself admitting.

"Good memories I hope," Beverly says softly, she finds herself wondering why she seems more relaxed with this complete stranger than with any of the regulars.

"Very good," Evan responds with a distant, almost smile on his face. Forcing himself away from the memories, Evan hands Beverly a Knut for bringing his drink to him, "Thank you for bringing it," he says. Before Beverly is able to respond to him, the entrance door opens causing everyone within to go instantly onto high alert, at least until they see the identity of the newcomer. Beverly smiles as she sees who just entered, looking back to the young man, "If you need anything more, just wave me down," she offers before returning to the bar to help her new customer. "Thank you," Evan responds not knowing if she heard him or not, but feeling better knowing he had the manners to be polite.

As Evan picks his mug of butterbeer up and takes a small sip he allows his eyes to wander the bar once again taking in those around him without being overly obvious as he was when he first entered, a skill he learned while living with his aunt and uncle a lifetime ago, what he sees he doesn't find very encouraging to the war he knows is going on. Evan watches as some of the patrons take a small tentative drink while their eyes dart about accusingly, expecting someone to attack them in the next second. Some of the others gulp down large amounts of their drinks and all but slam the mug back down on the table startling others, all the while throwing menacing glares about the room. It is these people Evan pauses on in his look around; he instantly knows who is putting on a show, a brave front, and who is not.

Evan then settles his gaze on the newcomer and is unable to stop his knowing sigh, he then forces his eyes to wonder once again hoping the newcomer hasn't noticed him but knowing at the same time it is impossible. Therefore he is unsurprised as the presence makes her way towards him; Evan is unable to keep his body from stiffening as he feels the newcomer come up behind him. He has no clues as to what it is she would wish to speak to him about or why she would come to him on her time off, "Can I help you Professor McGonagall," he questions softly the resignation clear in his voice, Evan knows he will shortly have the answers to his unasked questions

****

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Same Day

With a weary sigh, Minerva McGonagall places her quill in the ink bottle on the edge of her desk and sits back in her chair as she absently rubs the wrist of her writing hand, "I think that is enough for now," she comments to herself unthinkingly. Pushing her chair a way from her desk and what seems to be an endless amount of paperwork that needs to be done in a timely manor. Standing up she puts her body through a long determined set of stretches.

With a look of complete disdain Minerva looks at the remaining paperwork that needs to be done before the end of the week. Paperwork she knows she needs a break from or she'll start assigning detentions to the ghosts who haunt the halls of the school. Stepping away from the madness she decides a proper break is in order and a walk is just what she needs to get herself back on track and motivated to complete the paperwork. Turning away from her responsibilities for a moment, something she knows she will try and catch up for later on, she steps out into the empty halls of the only home she has left. Without any destination in mind Minerva begins to walk, with each step she takes Minerva can ell her sanity slowly return to her. Therefore it comes as a great surprise when she finds herself on the steps leading away from Hogwarts and towards the nearest town of Hogsmeade. With a mental shrug Minerva decides the work can wait just a bit longer than she had originally planed.

Maintaining this thought in mind, Minerva sets off for a place she hasn't been in a very long time, years even. As she walks she finds her thoughts returning to a boy she is unable to believe she had treated so poorly and so unlike herself. She had mistreated a boy who had just saved their lives from certain death and how do they thank him, herself included…by accusing him of being the enemy by which he had just fought. Not exactly the smartest or best thing to do to a potential ally, who seems to know a few things about everything and a lot more tricks.

It is in this moment that Minerva finally understands what had happened that day not too long ago, here was this young man who new to this part of the world was open and honest with them. They hadn't realized until later, until it was pointed out to them that he had been testing them in his own way, and what they did is equivalent to throwing him out on the street unprepared and alone in the wrong part of town; even though their reactions being as they were young Mr. Knight has continued to help them, unwillingly…yes, but help them he has. Minerva also realizes there is a big possibility Mr. Knight will not go to Hogwarts ever again because of their actions that horrid day.

It is with a heavy heart that Minerva finds herself at the entrance to the once famous (amongst the students) Three Broomsticks, blinking in surprise at arriving at her destination so soon. Minerva enters into what she used to call the hotspot seeing as it used to be one of four places every student said others must go, Honeydukes, Zonko's, the Shrieking Shack and of course, the Three Broomsticks; places the last five generations have never had the chance to go to during their magical time at Hogwarts. Heading towards the bar Minerva smiles softly at the rush of good memories that come to forefront of her mind, but the smile is shortly lived as she sees the state of things. Minerva's eyes track her former student as Beverly all but rushes to greet her, "Hello Ms. Schmidt," she greets kindly.

"Good afternoon Professor McGonagall," Beverly greets happily. "It has been a while since you were here last," she observes but then brushes it off as none of her concern and a testament of the times that have descended upon the wizarding world. "How can I help you today Professor," she questions hoping for be of use once again with someone she knows will not harm her.

Removing a few spare coins from within her worn cloak Minerva places them on the counter, "I was wondering if I could talk you into making me a mug of some butterbeer," she requests knowing it is a drink that is almost forgotten.

"It seems as though it is a popular item today Professor," Beverly says as she takes the money from her former Professor.

This statement surprises Minerva; she had thought most of the wizarding world had switched to ordering something stronger to sooth their nerves, something more along the lines of firewhiskey, "Someone else has ordered it," she is unable to stop herself from questioning.

"Yeah," Beverly says as she turns around to fulfill the professor's order from the batch she had made for the younger stranger, "A young man did," she answers absentmindedly. This statement catches Minerva's attention, could it be, she thought, "What kind of young man," she asks trying to conceal her hope that it is who she wishes it to be.

Beverly turns around and hands the professor her order and then points behind Minerva to the far corner of the bar, "He's still here," she says with a shrug, "He's just over there," she informs professor McGonagall.

Minerva turns around to look in the direction Beverly had pointed and finds she can't really see who it is from this position. "Thank you Ms. Schmidt," Minerva says sincerely.

"Anytime professor, but don't stay away so long this time," Beverly responds almost happily.

"I'll try," Minerva promises as she steps away from the bar, curiosity getting the best of her she heads in the direction of the young man Ms. Schmidt said was here, hoping the young man who ordered the butterbeer is the same as who has been occupying her thoughts. After taking a few more steps further into the bar, Minerva is unable to hade the smile that crosses her aged face as the young man in question comes into view and his identity becomes known to her. Stepping closer to the boy, Minerva finds herself wondering what he is thinking about, what things go through that mind of his. She is shocked to see him stiffen as she approaches, "Can I help you professor McGonagall," Evan Knight asks her even though he never looked in her direction and as far as she knew he didn't even know she was there.

****

"H…how did you know it was me," Minerva asks unable to hide her surprise at being found out so strangely.

Ignoring her question, Evan points to the empty chair directly across from him, Ron's chair, his mind supplies him, "Would you like to have a seat," he questions softly as he remembers once again the emptiness in the world without those whom he holds dear.

Shaking her head in amazement, Minerva moves to the offered chair and sits down as she places her butterbeer on the table. "Thank you," she says honestly, though when she first came in she hadn't thought about where she would sit, she finds there is nowhere else she would rather be. The other customers in this place give her the frights, which is mostly why she doesn't come here as often as she once did.

"No thanks are needed professor," Evan replies evenly as he continues to survey the room, he has yet to even look at his guest, "Not exactly a cheerful place," Evan observes after a moment of silence.

"I am afraid, very few, if any, place is capable of being cheerful nowadays," Minerva admits reluctantly, but honestly agreeing with the young man across from her. It's not that she doesn't want to agree with him; it's just that she doesn't want to agree to the statement's truth.

"The question then becomes why is it you think that's true," Evan questions curiously as he finally shifts his wandering gaze to look her in the eyes. "There isn't much to be happy about, if there is anything to be happy about left," Minerva explains to him with a shrug of her shoulder not knowing what it is he is looking for.

"So, what you are trying to say is, there isn't much hope left," Evan corrects her softly still looking in her direction, but Minerva swears though it sounded like a statement, it could have been a question. Minerva pauses a moment to let her mind run over his words and their possible meaning, "It could be that too," she finally allows. She hadn't thought about it like that before, but now that she has, she finds that it fits with what the wizarding world is currently undergoing.

Evan nods his head in acknowledgement of her admission and how much that must have cost her to admit. As he thinks about this he lifts his drink to his lips once more, his eyes straying from the professor to take in the world around him, around them, making sure nothing has changed since the last time he looked around the bar.

Minerva is unable to refrain from watching the child before her with interest, she finds herself wondering again what it is he is thinking and how he feels about her being here with him, especially after the last time they had spoken. "Mr. Knight," she starts to say, her voice cracking on his name as his eyes slowly track back to her. "I…," she almost squeaks, Minerva pause as she thinks about what it is she wishes to say and realizes though this may be the hardest thing she has ever done in her life, it just may be the most important. "I would like to apologize for my actions," she finally says in a hoarse voice.

Evan's is unable to stop himself as he blinks once, his mind not exactly following where hers has apparently gone, "Which actions are those professor," he questions confusedly trying to pull his mind back to the here and now. Minerva smiles softly at his response, "For what I said the last time we talked," she reminds him, her smile slipping from her face at the memory.

Lifting an eyebrow at this statement, Evan observes her more closely than a moment before, almost as if checking for her sincerity. Upon finding what he seems to have been looking for, Evan softly nods his head in acceptance of her apology, "No permanent damage has been done professor," he says as he looks away from her and picks up his mug taking a drink. As she hears this, Minerva lets out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding, "May I ask you a question," she asks taking a drink from her own mug.

Looking around once again, mentally noting the man at the table for lengths away falling asleep, he finally allows his eyes to look at his one time professor once again, "I don't see why not," he finally admits with a shrug. "Why…" Minerva starts but begins to realize this question might lead her on the same path as before, then deciding she has to finish her question now that she has started it. "Why did you come here," she says waving her hand trying to indicate more than just the Three Broomsticks.

Evan looks at his professor oddly; as though wondering why she would ask him that question, as though he has already answered this question before, he knows he has but maybe not in such a direct way. "I made a promise to someone I'd come," he says in answer thinking that would be all there was to it, Harry Potter always keeps his promises or at least die trying. "That doesn't mean you had to keep your promise," Minerva points out taking a sip of her drink.

Evan sits back in his chair as though he's just been hit, "I gave my word," he instantly replies defensive of such an idea even being muttered. Taking a deep breath he tries not to feel insulted by her question, but is unable to not to feel as though she has insulted him. Sitting forward in his chair Evan meets her eyes across the table, a bit of black swirling in his gray orbs, "Are you telling me you break your promises professor," he demands of her in return.

It is now Minerva's turn to be offended by his question as she gapes at the boy before her; she instantly starts to reprimand him for his insolence when it finally dawns on her that it is she who is the one to offend, it is her who is the one being insolent, "No," she whispers softly, apologetically. Evan nod his head once, "Right," he states evenly, "What kind of person would I be if I couldn't keep my word," he questions her in return, his eyebrows rising once again, knowing he has made his point very well, very well indeed.

Minerva finds herself unable to formulate any thoughts for a time but, when she did she questions the man in front of her curiously, "Did you have any idea what the promise entailed when you made it?"

"At the time I had no idea," Evan honestly replies to her question, not needing any time to think about how to answer it.

At hearing his response, Minerva finds she isn't surprised by it. Their last conversation more or less told her as much, "Do you wish you could undo your promise," she finds herself asking after a moment and then realizes the question might be too personal.

Evan sighs softly as he hears this question, a question he has been asking himself since he first arrived here in this alternate world. As Evan thinks about how to answer this question, silence settles over the pair. Finally Evan comes to an answer that he finds is really all that has been bothering him, not if he would undo the promise but just to know one thing, "I just wish I knew why," he answers softly.

Evan's response surprises Minerva she had expected he would say that he wanted to have never made the promise he had, that he would want to return to where he is from. Now she learns that instead of changing his promise, changing coming here, he really just wishes to know why he is here at all. Minerva is unable to understand how someone so young could have such a high level of maturity. This thought causes Minerva to think along a different path, a path she has just taken a break from, work, "Why don't you want to go to Hogwarts," she finally asks, unable to stop herself.

Evan raises a single eyebrow at her question, amusement clear in his gray eyes, "Are you asking me to return to school Professor," he returns. Minerva is surprised by Mr. Evan Knight once again; his question has honestly thrown her thought processes off their original mark, "You are young Mr. Knight," she states reflexively, defensively, unknowingly switching to her Head-of-House voice. Minerva pauses in her admittedly lengthily automated reply as she sees his eyes changing. Swallowing roughly she forces herself to continue, "You need to be around other people, people your own age," she pauses again as she finally notices that he is much thinner than he was the first time she had ever seen him, "You shouldn't be alone," she finally finishes, her voice dropping off softly.

Looking down at his mug Evan sighs softly, "I must admit I have thought about what you have asked Professor," he admits but pauses to take a drink from his mug. As he sets the mug down he looks back up at her, "The thing is…," he drifts off not really sure if he wants to finish his statement or let it be a statement on its own.

Seeing Evan hesitate Minerva realizes that if she pushes too hard she just might pushing away, "What," she questions softly, hopefully; hoping she has just caused him to run away and never be seen again.

Evan looks at her thoughtfully, as if weighing if he wants to continue or not, "I know all of you will be watching me," he finally says as he takes another drink from him mug. Seeing Minerva start to open her mouth to respond to his words he raises his hand to stop her from continuing, "More so than the normal student," he clarifies for her causing her to quickly close her mouth. Pausing to look around, Evan takes this moment to gather him both physically and emotionally, "I am used to Lily," he finally continues only to pause again as he realizes there are now two Lily's in this world making everything that much more confusing. "Lily as in Hogwarts, not Lily as in Lily Potter the person," he corrects. "I am used to her constantly looking after me and my friends," he continues only to halt briefly as a slight blush rushes to his cheeks, "I am even mostly comfortable with the ghosts," he says as his mind returns to the time that Myrtle had seen him naked in the Prefects bathroom in fourth year.

Taking another drink of his butterbeer, Evan tries to put his thoughts in order so he can explain them more exactly and understandably. Fixing his eyes on this worlds' version of his Head-of-House, "The Headmaster always knows what is going on in Hogwarts, this I know," he finally continues, "The professors watch the students, again this is a given," he concedes as Minerva nods once to indicate that she is following what he has said so far. Evan hesitates not knowing how the woman across from him will take what he is about to say next, deciding that at this point in time it really doesn't seem to matter, "I also know when the professors are assigned to know my every movement. This is something I have never cared for," he explains, "I hate being the center of attention," he mutters to himself, but Minerva is able to hear him still.

Minerva is unable to hinder the smile forming at his muttered confession, unable to help remembering the way he had acted when they had first met this brave, talented young man, "I kind of notice," she observes with amusement.

Evan smiles slightly as he looks down at the remaining butterbeer in his mug, Minerva notices the small smile and can't help but smile broader than a moment before, "It is very unnerving," Evan states and then he looks up with his eyes, his face still tilted down toward the table, to see her through his overly long bangs, a fleetly thought on needing a haircut going through his mind.

Minerva takes a second to look at her own drink as her mind goes over everything Mr. Knight has said, "What if I get a promise from the Headmaster and the other professors are not to watch you," she finally questions wondering if it will change his answer or not.

"As if that would ever happen," Evan instantly responds, not being mean or rude, just simply stating the facts. Taking a drink, Evan thinks about how to justify his last statement, "The truth is I am new," he says honestly, "No one here knows me or anything about me," he finds himself explaining. "We both know what this means to Headmaster Albus Dumbledore," he continues with a slight smirk, his mind returning once again to his own world and all that his Headmaster had done there for him and his friends and just how much he loved a mystery, a riddle.

Minerva is flabbergasted as she finally realizes this boy truly seems to know them well, knows them but they don't know him. Returning his smile she can't help but agree, "That makes you a mystery."

"Just as we both know that a mystery is something that always needs to be solved," Evan comments agreeing with her, at hearing this Minerva is powerless to stop the small undignified snort from bubbling out of her. Evan looks at her, knowing part of what she has wished to ask him, "He will also be overly curious due to me being able to talk the Demons into leaving, this is something I can only imagine has been bothering him terribly since that day," he states evenly, knowingly.

Nodding her head in both understanding and agreement of his words, Minerva finally gives in to something she has been wondering, worrying about for what feels like forever, "What was it you did say to them," she asks curiously, hoping to get an answer but knowing she really doesn't deserve an answer or his kindness, none of them do.

Evan looks at her inquisitively, almost as if he is trying to see if she is really open to his response or just pretending to be, "There is a lot of things that are not known about Demons, practically nothing is known of them," he points out, which is something he can't help but find highly amusing, for he is now the teacher and she is but the student.

Minerva tilts her head in acknowledgment, admitting there is a great deal of things that are unknown about the Demons, so much so they are never even mentioned within the hall of Hogwarts, "True," she agrees more to herself than to Evan.

"Right," Evan concurs, "One thing, probably the most important thing that people and creatures alike don't know is, they love honesty," he says shocking the professor, not only with what he has told her about the Demons but also by his own honesty.

"They love honesty?"

Evan looks across the table at his flabbergasted Professor and finds himself amused by how much his words are astonishing her, "When someone, human or not, lies they emit a scent, a smell the demons can detect; a scent they greatly dislike," he explains further. "I simply pointed out I knew some, not a lot, about their culture," he continues with a small self-depreciating shrug. "More precisely I knew about one of their weaknesses," he expands as he watches his Professor furrow her eyebrows in confusion. "I just explained I would not promise them nothing," unable to stop himself, Evan pauses for dramatics. "Save…the fact we would spare their lives at that moment," he informs her, "Something we both know Voldemort would and will never do," he finishes his explanation.

Minerva blinks as she tries to process this startling information and a visible shiver runs through her at hearing the feared name, but then she realizes he hasn't exactly answered her question, "So why did they leave then?"

"I was honest where Voldemort lies," Evan answers simply to the suddenly wide-eyed professor. "They respected that enough to not continue on their current path," he pauses, "That day at least," he finishes.

Minerva was silent for a time, taking in what she has been told. She finds herself wondering where on earth he learned all this forbidden information. Forbidden in the sense no one knows it and it can only be learned from someone within the Demon clans. "How did you learn this," she questions unthinkingly.

Taking a drink of his butterbeer, Evan things about what he should and shouldn't say. Slowly placing his mug down on the table he looks across the table at Minerva, studying her, almost as if wondering if she is worthy of his answer. "I have had to deal with them rather intensely before," he starts to say, his voice dropping off near the end. "We later were able to reach an agreement which was mutually beneficial," he concludes.

Minerva thinks about this again, "Do you think the same agreement could be made here," she asks hopefully.

Evan sits back in his chair as he hears her question. His own questions, responses, possibilities run through his mind at an alarming rate only to realize he knew the answer at the beginning. Releasing a sigh he finally decided to explain his reasons for not having said anything about this earlier, things he has been thinking about since he first talked with the Demons. "It honestly depends," he finally answers at length.

Minerva blinks at his answer, she hadn't expected that. She had expected a definitive answer, something like yes or no, but not this gray area in between. "It depends on what," she questions almost fearing his response.

"It depends on how deeply they are involved with Voldemort," Evan explains ignoring her glare at hearing the hated name once again.

"Involved with Voldemort," Minerva repeats in confusion, her voice of total disbelief.

Hearing this Evan finds Hermione's influence on him showing through, something he still hasn't told Hermione about. "Demons are not inherently evil," he defends automatically. Evan watches as Minerva raises an eyebrow in disbelief. "However," he continues, "Once they seed themselves into a situation they are stuck in that situation…permanently," Evan says trying to make his point clear. "Luckily, seeding isn't part of all the species under the classification of Demon," he continues not even noticing the confusion and shock on the face of the person across from him. "This leaves the possibility some of them might be more persuadable," he says with a slight shrug. "The fact they retreated is a good sign," he informs her honestly.

Minerva sits there for a moment, her mind trying to process what she has learned and wondering at the same time when it was that she suddenly became the student again rather than the teacher. As she thinks this, her mind keeps returning to one specific thing he has said, "They aren't inherently evil," she repeats in question.

Evan shrugs at her question, not sure how to really explain the truth of the matter. "A known fact of racism," he states knowing in his heart Hermione would like that he is defending an un-represented species.

"Racism," Minerva all but squeaks.

"Granted there are Demons who love blood and violence," Evan relents, "This being said…there are many that just wish to be left alone," he continues. "Left to be with their kind and away from the rest of the world," he explains further. "There are many who hate and despise pain, violence, blood and to a greater extent death," he explains softly.

Minerva sits back almost breathlessly as his words turn her thoughts and beliefs about Demons upside down and inside out. "The actions of the few ruin the opinion of the many," she states remembering hearing a statement similar but unable to remember when or where.

Evan smiles at her words as he takes another sip of his butterbeer, "Exactly," he agrees knowing he has been able to get his point across for her to, at least partly, understand.

"Why don't you act like most fifteen year olds Mr. Knight," Minerva questions as she watches him closely.

Evan is unable to stop himself from snorting as he hears this, the question genuinely surprising him. Looking up from the depths of his mug to meet her eyes, "I have been forced to grow up early," he says softly knowing others from his home world would say that was an understatement.

Minerva feels as though a fist has reached into her chest and is squeezing her heart as she hears his soft painful voice, "That should be more than enough reason to try and be a kid," she says just as softly as she returns his look.

Evan thinks about her words, "I have met a student of yours," he counters her, unintentionally testing her.

Knowing instantly who Evan means, "Harry Potter," Minerva says knowingly only to instantly wonder why Evan flinched slightly at hearing this name, so slightly in fact she would not have seen it had she not been looking so closely. Evan finally nods in agreement, "That boy is a menace," Minerva admits, ashamed of being able to say that about the son of two very dear friends. "Harry Potter aside," she starts, noticing remotely the flinch isn't as pronounced, "There are some really great kids who come to Hogwarts," she explains. When he doesn't respond and is still just watching her, she realizes he is waiting…waiting for something…something more. She needs to have a more persuasive argument. She thinks about this for a second only to smile as the answer comes to her, "They aren't inherently evil," Minerva says repeating his earlier words.

Evan finds himself smiling at this, he knows then that she has actually been listening to what he has been trying to tell her and she isn't brushing his words aside as they all did the last time, "Very good," he says softly. Minerva is unable to shake the feeling that she has just passed some sort of test, "Will you come to Hogwarts," she asks again, hopeful he will.

"On one condition, one condition alone, and this condition cannot be debated," Evan offers shocking his Professor once again.

"And this condition is," Minerva asks almost breathlessly as she sits forward in her chair, sitting literally on the edge of her seat for his answer.

Evan looks Minerva in the eyes, telling her he is very serious about what he is about to tell her. "My past and my residence remain unknown and unasked," he says to her in answer, laying down the requirement for him to return to Hogwarts as a student.

Minerva thinks about this for a moment, "If I don't know where you live then how, do I to get the book list to you," she questions wondering how he will get out of giving her his address.

Evan smirks at this question, knowing what she was trying to do and finding himself amused rather than insulted by her attempt, "Fawkes knows where to find me," he counters almost laughing at the disappointment on her face.

"And if Fawkes is busy," Minerva tries again feeling proud of herself for thinking of this as fast as she has.

"Then when you call him, Artoo will come," Evan counters again, highly amused with his Professor.

Minerva sighs at this and then can't help but laugh at the turn this conversation has taken. She pauses a moment as she thinks about what needs to be done to prepare him for the coming school year, "You will have to retake you O.W.L. exams," she explains.

Evan looks down at his mug and shrugs slightly as he takes a drink, "I'd expect nothing less," he says as he looks back up at her, "It is a way for you and the Headmaster to confirm what my file says," he states knowing the Headmaster and knowing he would want for him to retake the blasted tests.

Minerva waves her hand as if agreeing with him but it isn't worth trying to confirm, "I could try and set the testing at the Ministry as soon as possible, but it might be as late as the week before classes start," she offers.

Evan lifts his mug up, "That's fine," he says and then downs the rest of his remaining drink. "I think I shall be going," he says as he removes a few coins from his left inside pocket and places them on the table for a tip, "The atmosphere in this place is causing havoc on my mind," he informs her as he stands up. Evan pushes his chair under the table and then looks at Professor McGonagall, "It has been interesting talking with you Professor," Evan says with a slight but very respectable bow.

"It has been a pleasure Mr. Knight," Minerva says as she too stands up and pushes her chair under the table. "I will get the book list out to you tomorrow and hopefully I can send along the testing information at that time as well," she promises as they both walk to the door.

The pair steps out into the still gloomy afternoon, Evan turns towards his `new' professor, "Thank you," he says softly.

Minerva smiles at hearing this, "Thank you Mr. Knight," she says as he starts waling in the opposite direction of Hogwarts. As she watches him disappear into the afternoon fog, she can't help but think about all she has learned today, her smile widens as she realizes this isn't going to be the last time she will see this enigmatic young man. Soon, really soon he will be in her class, he will be with kids his own age, he will be at Hogwarts and she can't help but hope she will end up being his Head-of-House.

****

The Next Day

Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry

The Great Hall

Inside the seemingly endless hall, a single long table remains sitting in the center most part, the room appearing all but empty…save for the people sitting at this table. The majority of the faculty of Hogwarts are currently having lunch and having pleasant conversations but all in all not really accomplishing much of anything. This seemingly idle conversation is gratefully interrupted as everyone turns towards the doors leading into the Great Hall opens to allow the Head of Gryffindor House to enter, the fact she is also the Deputy Headmistress doesn't change much of anything, she is well respected and liked by those here in the room. Everyone is surprised to notice the Deputy Headmistress is almost bouncing her way into the hall. As the Headmaster sees this, as he sees his friend of many years act as though the world is looking up, as though she would half her age, this causes him some mystery. Albus Dumbledore looks at Minerva McGonagall wondering what could cause such an obvious deviation from her normal strict self, "Minerva," Albus questions knowing she will understand what he is asking without have to actually ask it.

Minerva sits down at the table directly across from Albus, as though not hearing his question. Which given her current state of mind just might actually be the case; she reaches into her robe and removes an envelope from within. Placing the envelope on the table Minerva then pulls out a pre-inked quill as well and begins to write on the outside of the envelope. Once finished writing she replaces the quill back into her robe and then, finally, looks up and is surprised to find the room rather silent and that all eyes seem to be centered on her, "What," she questions in confusion having no idea what their problem is.

In response to this everyone just shakes there heads as though they themselves are confused, Minerva seeing this decides to let it pass and turns to the Headmaster, "Albus, can I borrow Fawkes for a bit," she requests.

Albus looks at her with raised eyebrows, "I would love to," he begins, "But I'm afraid he is out at the moment," he explains.

"Oh," Minerva comments as though this was an unimportant fact she has just been told, completely unaware that all eyes are on her, she places her food on the plate before her.

"What would you need Fawkes for," Professor Flitwick asks curiously, knowing that all her official correspondence is done through the school owls.

"To send a letter to a new student," Minerva answers as she takes a bite of her breakfast.

"Why use Fawkes instead of the usual school owls," Professor Sprout questions interested in the answer she hopes to receive.

Taking a piece of toast off the floating tray as it passes her by, Minerva shrugs just as the young man the day before seemed so fond of doing, "He would know where to take the letter," she says as she spreads marmalade on her toast.

"And the school owls wouldn't," Lily says with raised eyebrows.

"From what I was told they would be at a loss as to how to find him," Minerva explains as she pours herself some pumpkin juice. As she says this, the other professors look at her and then at each other, not knowing how it is this could be possible. Taking a bite of her toast Minerva finally looks around the table and realizes once again they are without a Defense professor. After their last interaction with Mr. Knight they were able to locate all of the devices he had warned them about. They had also found everything he had said they would, however, before they could take William into custody he disappeared and they haven't seen him since. Now they have to find another professor for the position. Something Minerva is not looking forward to doing…again. Sighing at this thought, Minerva takes another bite of her toast, her mind elsewhere thus missing everyone watching her as she fiddles unknowingly with the envelope. Minerva looks down at her left hand, the one with the envelope, and everyone is surprised when they can see her smile slightly, "ARTOO," she calls out still looking at the envelope that contains the promised information.

Lily blinks in astonishment as she hears her say this, "Artoo," she questions in almost a squeal, "As in Evan Knight's Artoo," she asks almost hopefully.

"One and the same," Minerva comfirms as she finishes her toast, as she says this absolute complete silence engulfs the Great Hall only to jump in the next moment as a burst of floating flames appear to the left of Minerva. Everyone watches fixated as Artoo appears to expertly float down nest to Minerva and gently land on the bench next to her. Ignoring everyone, Minerva turns to the Phoenix and holds out the envelope to the bird, thus making the name visible for all to see `Mr. E. Knight.'

"Artoo," Minerva says as the bird takes the envelope into his beak, "Please take this to Mr. Knight," she asks the bird. Artoo seems to nod his head in agreement and then takes flight, only to burst into flames and disappear into the nothingness he arrived from not even a minute earlier.

After a moment of stunned silence where most eyes are still staring at the last place the Phoenix had been, the remaining eyes are fixed firmly on Minerva, "Minerva," Albus questions softly.

Minerva looks at the Headmaster and can't help but smile at the memory, "I seen Mr. Knight at the Three Broomsticks yesterday," she starts to explain. "We talked a bit," she continues deciding not to mention the part about the Demons…yet. "I was able to talk him into coming to Hogwarts at the beginning of the term," she says as she snatches another piece of toast from the floating tray. "I wasn't able to send his letter yesterday because I had to contact the Ministry for a special testing session, which I was able to set the week before term starts," she says and then takes a bite of her toast.

"He agreed," Professor Flitwick exclaims in shock.

Minerva nods once in agreement, "I went to your office Albus," she says looking back at him, "I wanted to tell you, but you weren't there," she informs him.

Albus sighs at the memory of where it was he had been the night before, not a pleasant memory, "I was owled by the Minister for Magic and ended up in a rather long meeting," he confesses as he tries to push the unpleasant memory away.

Minerva shakes her head at this admission of how the Ministry seems to be failing rather severely under the tutelage of Cornelius Fudge, "I figured as much when I didn't see you there," she concludes.

"Wait a second," Lily Potter almost squeaks, "Are you saying Evan agreed to come to Hogwarts," she questions unable to believe what she has heard, unable to believe they could be that lucky.

Minerva turns from the Headmaster to face Lily, "He agreed on one condition," she says finally dropping the other shoe as the saying goes.

"And what is that condition," Professor Sprout asks curiously.

"With the condition that his past and his place of residence are to remain secret," Minerva explains and then turns back to the Headmaster, "He really wanted to add that he didn't want to be watched. It seems however that he knows how much you love a mystery, he knew making that request would be useless," Minerva states with a smirk, knowing how true a statement that is. Everyone smiles at this understatement.

Albus smiles wider as he places his elbow on the table before him, his eyes distant as though trying to piece a mystery together as he raises his fingers steeple like to his chin, "And a mystery our young Mr. Knight certainly is," he says knowingly making an understatement of the obvious once again.

-->