Unofficial Portkey Archive

Destiny’s Ghost by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Destiny’s Ghost

JadeLMSkywalker

AN: I would like to really apologize for the amount of time it has taken to get this chapter out to you. Though it is no excuse, but life has been crazy here. Then again it will remain just as, if not more so from now until around Christmas. I have also had a bit of a writer's block. Not to worry, the story will be finished. I have the general idea with how this book will be done, (though not the next one). It's just getting it down on computer and then off to my wonderful Batas. If you have any suggestions, please feel more than free to tell me. All I ask is to be kind. I don't mind flames; I just don't care for cruel ones. Unfortunately I have had them.

This chapter contains information, spoilers if you will, for future chapters, as well as introduces a character who we will be seeing shortly.

Title: Destiny's Ghost

Disclaimer: If I owned it I wouldn't be getting school loans. The privilege of ownership doesn't belong to me; it belongs to J.K. Rowling and Scholastic, Warner Bros. Etc.

Betas: Wildbluyander and Amdorn

Genre: AU/Angst/Mystery/Romance

Rating: This chapter is purely G, sorry not even one swearword.

Spoilers: 1-5, but remains cannon until after book 4.

Warning: This story is listed as a Harry/Hermione story. It is, it just might take a while to get there, patience is humbly asked for.

Summary: He is foreign to this new world, a world so similar to his own and yet so different. His name is Harry Potter. His new destiny is unknown. All that is known is his world has been torn asunder and nothing of who he is remains. What is Harry Potter to do? What does this new world have in store for him? Join Harry Potter on this next great adventure that takes him to a place he never even dreamed existed, another world.

Remember to review, Thanks.

I Stand Alone

I pause in my steps

Realizing for the first time in many days

Though I am surrounded by people

I am truly alone.

I don't know this place

It is foreign to me

Though I have known this place

For many years,

Almost all my life

It is as though

I have never been here before.

There are strange new people

And those thought to be known

Are no longer near to me

I see a face in the sea of walking souls

A face I knew so long ago

A face once so dear to me

A face I no longer know

A face whose is my own

Reflected upon the glass of the widow

Who is that staring back at me?

What happened to the person I once was

What do I do now?

I stand as a stranger in my homeland

I stand as a stranger in a strange world

I stand amongst many

Yet

I stand alone

I have returned here

From so long away

I have returned to a place

I dreamt of nightly

Only to find I no longer

Feel as though I belong

I stand out

Strange and new

Yet old and forgotten

Who am I you ask

I am you

I am me

I am the returning solider

I fight for peace

I fight for freedom

I fight for all of you

But most of all, I fight for what I believe

I fight for what I feel is right

Now I stand here

Looking upon

My reflection across the way

And I realize

I don't know this place anymore

It is no longer what I remembered it to be

It has changed in my time away

But more importantly

I no longer know me

Though I am standing amongst many

I stand alone

By Jade Skywalker

Dedicated to the U.S. Military and my Brother

September 23, 2004

Destiny's Ghost

Chapter Sixteen

A Person of Safety and a Person of Threats

Knight's Sanctuary

Light filters through a nearby window and as far as he is concerned, directly into his eyes. He knows the light isn't directly pointed at him, that this isn't what is really happening, but needless to say it feels that way. He turns his head away from the offending light, trying to get himself deeper within the warmth he knows he hasn't felt in ages, warmth deep within his soul, the feeling of being safe and cared for unconditionally. He sighs contentedly trying to return to the dream in which he had just come from. It is a recurring dream, a dream of a different Harry Potter, a different history and a different life. He doesn't understand why he has these dreams, it's not like he hates his life now, but he can't help but want to help this other Harry.

"Good morning," a soft and kind voice whispers to him, which causes him to jump out of his thoughts and back into the present, whenever that is.

Remus opens his eyes to find that he couldn't exactly see much of anything, and then he chuckles as he realizes he has pulled the blanket over his head to keep the light out. With his arm he slowly lowers the blanket to see the most magnificent room he has ever seen in his life. The colors are a mixture of Gryffindor with Ravenclaw, but oddly enough they perfectly complement each other. His eyes not yet to be completely cleared of sleep and lasting potions, Remus watches as a fuzzy tall form places some things on the table beside him and this is when he realizes not only doesn't he know where he is, but also what happened to him comes swimming back into his mind. "Where am I," he asks and instantly regrets his rudeness.

"You're at my house, I call it Knight's Sanctuary," the voice he has been hearing in his dreams for what seems forever tells him. Remus's eyes widen as recognition rings through him.

"Harry," he asks tentatively hoping not to offend this person.

"Evan," the figure gently corrects with a shrug.

"No," Remus says as he pushes himself up surprised at the lack of pain in his body. "My dream Harry," he says to the back of the figure, he silently wishes the figure would turn around so he could get a look at him.

Silence greets these words momentarily as the figure pauses in his work, "Why would you dream of another Harry," the figure asks.

"I don't know," Remus admits knowing this is a question he has been asking himself for many years. "I just know the place he comes from is different, harder, I don't know," he struggles to explain.

The figure sighs, "I was wondering," he says as he turns around causing Remus to gasp in recognition.

A wistful smile slowly crosses Remus's face as he sees the face of his dreams, a face he has come to love more than the Harry Potter he knows, the Harry Potter of this world. "Harry," he whispers again as he pats the side of his bed telling Evan to sit down. Evan sits down knowing this man is the Remus, he has been sharing some dreams with, now if this also happens to be the world Dissy is in, Evan will know without a doubt there's more to his being here than what Dumbledore hadn't told him.

As Evan sits down Remus brings his hand up to the lightning bolt scar, "You got this when they died," Remus says more than asks. Evan nods his head in agreement only to be shocked when Remus pulls him in for a tight hug. "I've been waiting for you," Remus whispers into the young man's hair as he starts to cry tears of overwhelming happiness.

"I've missed you," Evan admits with a cracked voice to the figure holding him tightly.

"You miss them too," Remus says gently as he realizes just what this boy has been forced through. Remus slowly lets go of Evan to looking to the young man's eyes, his face kind and understanding as he watches Evan fight against reacting to words Remus knows is breaking the young man's heart. Remus has only seen a very small glimpse of his dream world, of Evan's world, but he knows enough to understand how much this boy loved his friends.

"How could he do this to me," Evan asks knowing there is no answer. "How could he take me from my home, my family and send me here without them," he questions as he fights back tears. Tears he has not had to fight for many, many years.

"I don't know," Remus admits knowing only part of the turmoil Evan must be suffering. "I know I'm not the Remus you loved, but I wish to help you," Remus promises knowing he owes this man his life in more than one way. Remus not only owes him his life for saving him this time, but also for saving him in his dream world. "Wait until Destiny sees you," Remus whispers excitedly with a smile, "she's so going to love see you," as Remus laughs at the groan coming from the figure across from him, still within his grip.

After a moment Evan sits back and looks over the mirror image of a man he had grown to respect and love, "Are you okay," he asks worriedly.

"I'm better than alright," Remus answers with a genuine smile that reaches up to his eyes.

"Do you have any pain," Evan asks as he points to Remus's side, he knows there shouldn't be any, hoping there isn't.

"Not a single one," Remus confirms with another confident smile while nodding his head energetically.

"Good," Evan smiles softly, warmly in return as he stands up and walks over to the table he had been at before Remus awoke.

It then hits Remus, "When's the full moon," he asks worriedly as Evan returns to the bed to sit down beside him again.

"Been and gone," Evan answers honestly as he reaches over to the nightstand and grabs a goblet, he then pours the contents of the potions vial he had just retrieved, into a goblet and hands it to Remus.

"But it couldn't have," Remus says shocked, "you," he stops abruptly fearing the worst.

Evan looks directly into Remus's eyes, "I know," Evan confirms for him with a nod. Still looking Remus in the eyes he continues, "And it doesn't matter," he insists before Remus can protest.

"How can it not matter," Remus asks hopefully, yet doubtfully.

"You know who and what I am right," Evan says instead of answering the question.

"You are Harry James Potter of a different world, you're an Empath and a Seer," Remus says with confidence.

"Don't forget Healer," Evan says looking at him pointedly with a soft smile.

Remus can't help but smirk as he looks back into those gray eyes, "how could I," he says. "But you're okay with what I am," he asks again after an uncertain pause.

"You've been in my dreams for the last year, since the Remus of my world was killed," Evan starts to explain as he hands the goblet to Remus. "I knew what the Remus of my world was," he says to the man before him, "Family," he states softly with conviction before Remus can reply, "And family is just that, family, anything else doesn't matter," he finishes as Remus finally takes a drink of the potion given to him.

"So you don't mind," Remus asks again, not quite able to believe the unquestioned acceptance, as he hands back the emptied goblet. Only after he has drank the potion did he realize he never asked what it was for and he realizes he trusts Evan enough not to worry about it.

"Do you mind me," Evan asks in return.

"Of course not Harry," Remus vehemently says. "There's nothing you could've done to prevent it," Remus exclaims with a sense of indisputable logic.

"Right," Evan simply says and it is the way he says it that Remus begins to understand just what it is he has been told.

"Thanks Harry," Remus whispers with a ghost of a smile on his face.

"Better get used to calling me Evan," Harry laughs out causing Remus to do the same.

"Can I ask you something," Remus asks as he realizes what this means.

"You may," Evan agrees.

"Did your world succeed," he asks knowing Harry will understand what he is talking about.

"Yes," Evan whispers in answer while looking distantly across the room to the wall behind Remus, and Remus can tell he isn't really seeing the wall, he is seeing something more sinister, more painful.

"When," Remus asks hoping he doesn't already know.

"The day I arrived here," Evan answers, thus confirming for Remus his suspicions.

"And then for you to be treated as you were," Remus sighs sadly.

"It was a difficult time," Evan agrees softly as he sits back down on the mattress.

"Was," Remus asks knowingly.

"Is," Evan corrects.

"Understandable," Remus reasons to the man before him, "You love them and there's no way you'll ever forget them," he points out.

"Never," Evan agrees sadly.

Just then Remus gasps as he remembers all that had happened, "I need to tell the others I'm okay," he says to the questioning look on Evan's face.

"I sent them an owl telling them I'd located you, but it might be wise for you to send one of your own," Evan agrees as he stands up and heads over to the desk he was using that night. "I highly doubt they believed me and besides they should be more than a little worried when it's already been a week since I owled them the first time," he explains as he pulls out some parchment and a quill. "You're to remain in bed for another day at the least and then you'll be able to go on your way," he says as he makes his way back to Remus. "I just have to ask that you tell no one where you were," he asks then as Remus opens his mouth to comment, Evan raises his hand to stem the flow of comments from Remus, "I don't mean with who you were with, I don't care about that, just don't give them the name of this location or its location," Evan clarifies.

"That I can do," Remus agrees reluctantly.

"That is all I ask," Evan says. "I don't much care about anything else, I just want to keep Knight's Sanctuary just that," he explains.

"I understand," Remus agrees as he takes the equipment from Evan.

"I'll leave you to it," Evan says as he whistles softly and a snowy white owl flies into the room. The beautiful creature lands on Evan's outstretched arm and he softly whispers to her, she gently nips at his fingers as he pets her soft feathers. Hedwig nods her owl head and takes off to land on the chair closest to the bed. "This is Hedwig," Evan says pointing to the owl, "she'll deliver your message when you're done," Evan says as he walks out of the room.

Hogwarts

The Great Hall

Lily Evans Potter sits at the only table during lunch knowing these days are needed to be ready for the new term to begin, but for the life of her, she can't seem to get much work done. She knows the reason behind her lack of success, she's worried about Remus, she fears for his safety, and oddly enough it has nothing to do with Evan Knight. She knows Evan is doing all he can to help their friend; she's just worried there's nothing he can do. It is this thought that plagues her mind both during the day and at night. So it is with much difficulty she comes to work today rather than sulk around the house again as she has for the past week.

"Mail's here," Minerva McGonagall calls out as she looks up at the flutter of owls coming in to deliver the daily mail. Lily looks up disinterested until her eyes catch sight of a familiar owl, a snowy white owl to be exact. The owl flies towards her and Lily finds herself almost sick with worry about Moony as the owl lands before her expertly. The owl thrusts out her leg with the burdened load towards her wishing to have it removed thus allowing her to be on her way back home. Lily reaches out with shaky hands knowing this letter contains the fate of her dear friend. Once she has untied the letter from the owl's leg, almost instantly the beautiful creature takes to the air and quickly disappears from sight. Lily looks down at the parchment in her shaking hands only to sigh in relief; she knows that handwriting like the back of her own hand. With a foreign smile she opens the letter knowing a story is forth coming.

Lily, James, and Sirius,

I'll quickly explain why I sent this letter to you, Lily, before I get on to the other stuff. There is some information within this letter that needs to get to Albus as quickly as possible. Please see to this. Thanks.

It seems that I have a lot of explaining to do, but first off, I'm fine. It seems my young host has taken good care of me, even during a time of the full moon. He helped me during a time I knew, when I thought I was going to die. There's no other way to say it, I was knocking on death's door when Evan pulled me away and gave me another chance at life.

I was being followed and knew that Hogwarts was being watched. It seems the new DADA Professor is a Death Eater. That was the information I needed to get to you, to all of you. Evan asked where to take me and I told him I couldn't go to Hogwarts, he took me at my word and instead brought me to his home. What a beautiful place this room is too.

No he isn't keeping me locked up; in fact I've just awoken completely. He tells me I have to remain in bed for another day and then he'll see if I'm well enough to move about. Though, I feel perfectly fine, even considering the full moon was two days ago.

Yes, he does know what I am and he doesn't care. Strange, yet fascinating person this Evan is. Kind and caring to a fault, but he has earned my respect and gratitude. I only wish there were a way to relieve some of his pain. Though I know I can't, as this pain is so deep it can only be removed by his loved ones, his family. I know his blood relatives aren't what he considers family, but I am speaking of the family of the heart, of his heart. Something I can tell is worth the effort to become a member of.

He has given me several potions to help me along with my recovery and he has done something I'm still shocked about, he made them taste good. I'm telling you, they taste good. I didn't gag once and I know I would've anywhere else.

The room I'm in is huge, I mean HUGE, it's in the colors of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, and they work well together. Something I never really thought about before, but you should see it Lily, I know you would appreciate it.

I best, be going, the potion is starting to take effect and Hedwig is starting to get annoyed with having to wait for me to finish, what a beautiful creature. I should see you within the next three or so days if everything goes as planned.

Remus Lupin

Lily can't help but smile at the letter before her, and the only thought going through her mind is, how very Remus. She lets go of the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding while reading the letter. "Lily," a kind voice asks breaking into her thoughts and reminding her of where she is and whom she just might be with.

Looking towards the aged Headmaster, "Yes," she responds to his question.

"Is everything alright," Albus asks.

Lily carefully looks around the table and notices the presence of the DADA professor, her eyes quickly return to the Headmasters, "I'm not really sure," she says trying to tell him not to ask more here. Albus nods slightly in confirmation of her words, understanding her unspoken meaning.

"Do you wish to speak about it more privately," he asks instead.

"That would be great," Lily says in relief.

"Shall we head to my office," Albus offers and when she nods her agreement the two of them make their way to the Gargoyle, once inside the round office and in a more secure environment, he turns around to look at the redhead, "what exactly did, the letter contain," he asks her getting to the point. Instead of answering, Lily simply hands over the letter for him to read. After taking the letter he sits down in one of his chairs near the roaring fire, Lily does so as well. Albus Dumbledore proceeds to read the letter, thus receiving quiet a shock, "it seems we once again owe Mr. Knight for saving us from ourselves," he whispers after he folds the letter back up and hands it to Lily.

"What do we do now," Lily asks vaguely knowing he will understand her question.

"We watch him," Albus says as he realizes how close they came to integrating this person into their ranks; they almost gave Voldemort the key to the Order. "Plus, eventually we have to take the time to find a new Defense Professor," he sighs, "Once we have evidence of William's allegiance, then we'll have cause for a dismissal, but until then I'm afraid we have to keep him on," he says sitting back in his chair. "This is the second one this summer," he says slightly amused with a wry smile.

"Hopefully we won't be forced to begin school with him as a professor," Lily agrees with her own sigh.

"It's good to know Remus is alright," Albus says after a pause, changing to a happier subject.

Lily smiles, "yes it is," she agrees.

"It seems he's been able to do something we have not," Albus says deep in thought.

"Get close to Evan," Lily says nodding knowingly.

"Yes," Albus says as an amused smile crosses his face and his eyes twinkle a little brighter, "do you think The Evan Knight Protection Club has just located another member," he asks with a slight chuckle.

Lily smiles at his humor and then thinks about his question, "after this," she says raising the letter a little in reference, "there will be two new members," she admits.

"Yes," Albus agrees, "Sirius will be right along side of Remus," he states what they both know is truth.

"That he will be," Lily agrees with a shake of her head at the two of them, "the thing is, how long will it take for James to follow," she asks the old man.

"Or for you to lead," he asks in return causing her to blush deeply. "Only a matter of time I think," he says in answer of her first question and his own posed one.