Unofficial Portkey Archive

Destiny’s Ghost by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Destiny’s Ghost

JadeLMSkywalker

Darkness

Trust is but a stranger now

From within the darkness calls

An unheard cry for help

The world which surrounds us

Shrinks in on us now

Helplessness is all that is left

Dreams shatter at our feet

Death is prayed for on

Swift, merciful wings

Darkness encloses our hearts

Light has long since been gone

Hate swells up in our hearts

Fear becomes our only friend

Trust is but a stranger now

The unheard cry calls for help once again

A single voice all alone

Lost in the cries of thousands

A cry for help

A cry for hope

An unanswered cry

Darkness closes in on us

Nothing left to live for now

There is no more hope in this world

Darkness encloses our hearts

Trust is but a stranger now

Love is long since forgotten

However forgotten it may be

This single voice seems to remember

To remember better times

This single voice can not

Will not be silenced

Suddenly another voice is heard to cry

A cry similar to the first

A cry joining the first

The darkness shrinks away from our hearts

Just slightly

Hope has lived for another day

Trust is but a stranger now

However hope will find a way

This darkness cannot last forever

An end will come

Eventually

And when it ends

Light will return one day

Even if this day is not soon

The day will come

But for now

Trust is but a stranger now

By Jade Skywalker

A/N: Hello folks, I would like to take this time to thank all of you who has stayed with me and this story, for as long as you have. I know it has been a long time since the last time I posted, and for this I do apologize. Real life hasn't really been kind to me or mine. My lovely and helpful computer decided it was time to take a vacation, and so far it seems to be a permanent one. So, I haven't been able to do anything with a computer at home and this is something that requires a computer. So I have had to get the chapter from an internet site (for my betas) and write it again (by hand). I then had to use the library computer to make it so I could post this…. I'll stop there; I didn't mean to turn this into a life story. I could have just stated, computer died on me, need funeral, still working on story, here's the next chapter hope you like it.

I would like to thank my beta-readers for all their wonderful help and patience; this story wouldn't even be half as good as it is. Though that isn't saying much, now is it?

So thank you all once again and I hope you enjoy this chapter and that it is worth the wait.

Jade Skywalker

Disclaimer: Alas I own nothing; most of these characters are part of the Harry Potter world. Although I do claim Jacen and Destiny as my own (Um… well minus that they are meant to be in the world of Harry Potter and the name Jacen comes from Star Wars). You get the idea, what you recognize I don't own.

Summary: In a world foreign to him Evan Knight must forge his way through what is easy and what is right. The only problem is his conscience, Hermione, is not with him. What should Evan do? After a dream which required him to inform people of this new world of what occurred in said dream, Evan must now decide just how far he will go for a friend who doesn't even know he exists.

Destiny's Ghost

Chapter Twenty-Two

The Return

Next Day

Malfoy Manor

In the grassy planes of some long forgotten place categorized centuries ago as unsafe by Muggles, a seemingly impossible sight can be seen. A single, but extremely large castle resides in the middle of a large section of the otherwise empty planes. This large castle is surrounded by a formidable brick outlying wall. The wall is lined with tall trees blocking a clear view of what lies beyond. The focal wall has a large cast iron gate that swings in or out allowing entrance to the secluded yard within. The gate is encrusted with the crest of the Malfoy linage.

An aged figure that is easily over a century in age, steps through the currently open gates, gates that have been awaiting his arrival. The aged figure knows that in a moment many possible things may occur and unfortunately not all of them are pleasant. As far as he knows all could go well, go as planned and nothing out of sorts will happen. Or everything could backfire and all hell will break lose causing him to show his hand when all he wants to do is to remain secret. However the case maybe, he knows this is a gamble, a gamble in the home of a known Deatheater.

Along the graveled pathway that resembles the roads during the Medieval Times, the aged man slowly, yet confidently makes his way towards the over impressive castle before him. A castle he knows to contain more evil and hatred than a Muggle prison full of death row inmates. Releasing a weary sigh he wonders once again how it is that he gets himself into these life endangering messes.

Giving an unconscious shake of his head, he knows there is nothing he could ever do to change his way of life, to change this little trait of his. Even if he could find a way to change his life, his habits, he knows he wouldn't. These traits, these habits has been such a part of his life, part of him, he wouldn't know what to do with himself otherwise.

Upon finally reaching the steps leading into the castle, he pauses his useless and dangerous thoughts on changing the impossible. Forcing himself to focus on the moment, on the here and now, he looks up the stairs to see the main doors. Pushing away the memory of the last time he visited this house of death, he forces himself to think, to remember how to proceed up the steps now before him.

With a visibly shaking aged hand, he grips the railing to his right, knowing his every move is being watched, being cataloged and analyzed. He felt the eyes of his watchers since he apparated to the given coordinates. Slowly, yet with grace only learned by age, he makes his way up the stairs to the entrance of a place he had hoped, prayed to never step foot in again in his life. Upon reaching the top most steps he is not surprised when the doors open gracefully, quietly and a man in uniform steps out from within the darkness of the doorway. "Welcome to Malfoy Manor, are you Mr. Colton," he questions formally, but the displeasure of being in the presence of one who is clearly poor as the man in front of him. Mr. Colton is dressed in an overly aged worn cloak that is securely fastened around his thin frame.

"I haven't heard that name in many, many years young man," the aged man states with practiced ease.

The man in uniform all but openly glares at Mr. Colton, "Master Malfoy is awaiting you," he states instead of responding. "Follow me," he orders as he finally allows Mr. Colton to pass through the doors. Once Mr. Colton is passed he firmly shuts the door behind him causing Mr. Colton to suck a deep breath into his lungs, his mind shouting at him, perfect place for an ambush.

Slowly the pair makes their way deeper into bowels of evil. The hairs on the back of Mr. Colton's neck standing on end, causing him to be more alert and ready to fight at the drop of a hat. When the 'butler', for lack of a better word, closed the doors to the reading room on his way out, Mr. Colton couldn't help but look around. He knows he was brought to this room specifically because there is nothing illegal easily located in this room.

After about three minutes of looking around, knowing better than to touch, Mr. Colton turns at the sound of a door opening. As he watches the figure of a man he had hoped to never see breathing again step into the room, he can't help but inhale a deep breath at the sight of the evil before him. Swallowing his nervousness, his feelings of great dislike, Mr. Colton put on his best smile, "Good day Master Malfoy," he says in greeting hoping his he doesn't lose his breakfast.

"Yes," Lucius says smoothly, his voice cool and collected his stature superior to all around him. Everything about him percolates this essence of power; of being able to get everything he ever wanted, of believing himself to be a god.

Mr. Colton knows this drill well; he was raised by people who felt the same exact way as the man standing before him. He knows he needs to get the information out fast and get not only out of his sight but out of the house faster. "I came about the article in the daily profit," he says knowing this is already known information. Redundancy seems to be the order of the day. "I wish to inspect the offered merchandise," he finishes felling sick just uttering those words.

"Very well," Lucius says in disappointment, knowing he must do as his Master orders and sale the House-elf. "DOBBY!" he shouts in a demanding, angry voice, his voice echoing off the walls as if the house was completely empty.

Directly behind Lucius a resounding CRACK is heard. "Y...yes M…master," Dobby stutters as he bows deeply, his ears drooping enough to almost touch the ground. Even though this action was done instantaneously upon arriving, Dobby is still able to take in the presence of the stranger in the room with his Master.

Turning around Lucius sneers at the pathetic creature bowing before him, he has never like this particular House-elf, but at least it worked hard and did its best to please its Master. Lucius returns to looking at Mr. Colton as if presenting an unworthy piece of art to an artist. "This is the creature," he says with a dismissive wave towards the still bowing House-elf.

Mr. Colton steps forward slightly, his eyes fixed on the shaking figure before him. Once he is closer to Dobby he slowly gets down on one knee, bringing himself to Dobby's level. "Stand," Mr. Colton says trying to make it sound like an order rather than a question. Dobby slowly stands up straight and for the first time looks up at the stranger, sadly knowing he is no longer wanted by his family, no longer wanted or considered useful. He also knows there is no more hope for him. No hope for any of them. With this sad knowledge in mind Dobby finally looks into the eyes of the stranger kneeling before him. He is therefore surprised by what he sees, the brown eyes of the elderly man before him holds kindness in their depths. A kindness Dobby has never seen directed at him. The aged man smiles slightly at Dobby, then winks at him leaving Dobby at a loss. With a weary age warn groan the man stands up. "He's not as you advertised," he points out returning his attention to Malfoy, trying to keep his flinch from his face at his stupid mistake. "One thousand," he offers trying to his error at referring to Dobby as anything but a possession.

"Any House-elf is worth ten times that," Lucius snaps, insulted by the offer.

Mr. Colton raises an aged eyebrow in amusement at these words, his mind working over what he wants to say and how to say it. "Your advertisement has been in the Prophet for over three weeks now," he points out knowingly. Mr. Colton stares at Lucius for a moment and then sighs resignedly. "Two thousand then," he relents. "That is the highest I will go," he says with finality.

It is now Lucius's turn to sigh; he had wanted to gain much more from selling the creature. Admittedly though, the creature doesn't look worth even that much. "He's yours," he finally relents as he glares hatefully at Dobby as though it were Dobby's fault he didn't get as much money as he wanted. Turning back to Mr. Colton, Lucius nods his head once as if to tell himself 'it's done.'

Over the next few minutes Lucius and Mr. Colton exchange monies and legal contract information including a bill of sales. Once the ownership papers finally exchange hands Lucius Malfoy turns to the still sad House-elf, whose ears are hanging down, his eyes fixed completely on his feet, seeming to be waiting for the axe to fall and his life to end. "Dobby, House-elf to the Malfoy family Mr. Colton is now your new Master. You no longer belong to the house of Malfoy," he says completing the sale. "If I ever see you in this house again, I will not hesitate in removing you," he threatens the little elf. Dobby drops his head even further in shame. Dobby knows exactly what his 'now' former Master means when he says remove, if Dobby were to ever be seen around Malfoy Manor again, he would be killed.

Mr. Colton steps forward, almost as if in defense of the little creature, as if trying to protect the shamed House-elf, "Thank you for your business Mr. Malfoy," he says with a formal nod. "However, I am afraid I must be on my way. I have an appointment at St. Mungo's," he says with a resigned sigh, not wanting to go to this appointment.

"It was good doing business with you," Lucius says impatiently, wanting the two vile creatures out of his house.

Mr. Colton nods his head once in response to both his spoken words and the meanings behind them. "Come, Dobby," he says as he starts to head out of the room, wanting to get out of this place probably more so than the owner wants them out.

The two newly acquainted people exit the castle in complete silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Slowly the pair makes it down the steps and up the road a distance, Dobby remaining the required distance behind his new Master, three steps; his head still hung in shame. After about fifteen minutes of walking, when the pair is a surprisingly good distance away Mr. Colton sighs once again, only this time in relief. "I truly dislike coming here," he mutters to himself unknowingly as they continue to walk away from evil behind them.

"Master," Dobby says in question, wondering if he heard correctly or if he was to have heard his first order from his new master.

"Sorry, Dobby," Mr. Colton says realizing he had said that out loud. "I have never cared for the Malfoy family," he explains to the now confused elf. "Though I am forced to admit that Draco isn't as bad as his father," he pauses in thought then shrugs, "At least where I'm from," he adds.

"Sir," Dobby says in confusion before he can stop himself. As he realizes what he has done, realizes he has just disrespected his new master. Realizing his error Dobby starts to hit his hand viciously on head, unable at present to find something better to hit himself with.

Mr. Colton sighs resignedly, as though he has had gone through this many times before. "Dobby, stop," he says. As Dobby hears this he instantly stops, doing as he is told; not wanting to further disrespect his new master. "Once we get passed the wards we can apparate to just outside Hogsmeade, south end, just near the Hogshead," Mr. Colton explains.

"Master," Dobby says respectfully, "Do we live near Hogsmeade," he questions hopefully.

"Are we beyond the Malfoy wards yet Dobby," Mr. Colton asks as he glances over his shoulder to look at the gates as they close behind them. Dobby nods his head stating they are passed the wards, yet wonders why his master has asked. Dobby can feel how powerful the old man is and knows he felt it the moment they stepped out of the wards, but nods once in affirmation.

"Good," Mr. Colton states, "How about we apparate there, then I will do all I can to explain what is happening. Is that alright Dobby," he asks shocking the poor elf.

Dobby stops in his tracks, even more surprised to find his new master turning around to face him directly, something that he never happened. "Master is asking Dobby," he asks tearfully, his eyes glistening.

Mr. Colton is unable to stop the pained look that crosses his face as he hears the word master. Ignoring it for a moment he answers Dobby's question, "Yes Dobby," he states softly, "I asked you."

"Okay Master," Dobby agrees enthusiastically.

"Are we ready to apparate," Mr. Colton asks. Dobby continues to nod his head, move strongly now. This causes Mr. Colton to wonder if Dobby's head is going to fly off. "Very well then, I will see you there," Mr. Colton informs Dobby.

Mr. Colton smiles at Dobby a second before he silently disappears from sight. Dobby stares at where the aged man had been a moment before, his eyes widening further, he hadn't thought his new master was that powerful. Shaking this thought from his over crowded mind he lifts his hand and with a snap of his fingers he too disappears from just outside of the grounds to the home he has served all his life. Dobby doesn't know if this is a good change or a bad one, but for the first time since he learned about being put up for sale, he looks forward to being able to breath.

Hogsmeade

The sound of Dobby's apparating resounds throughout the small area in front of the currently closed Hogshead Inn. Dobby looks around almost hungrily; looking at a place he hasn't seen or been near in many years. Three years to be exact. He is saddened by what happened to the young redhead girl, but he didn't know how to stop it from happening. He didn't know who to go to that he could trust with the information; that would trust a House-elf. As he remembers this and the struggle he went through, Dobby comes to a very sad realization, there is no hope in the world anymore. It seems to be a desolate world.

"Not all things are hopeless Dobby," Mr. Colton whispers as he too takes in the desolate sight before him with a small shake of his head. "Not so long as at least one person can still find and hold hope in their hearts."

"Yes Master," Dobby obediently agrees, though in his heart he doesn't know if he really believes or not. Even though he doesn't believe or not, he continues to follow as his master starts to walk further south, away from the small magical village.

"If you do not agree Dobby it is alright to say so," Mr. Colton says as he pauses slightly in his steps. "You are your own person, feel free to express your own views," he continues after a moment as he looks down at the elf. Turning to resume his walking for a moment, the silence between them is a comfortable one. "This brings up another matter I wish to speak with you about," Mr. Colton says after walking a ways, the village far behind them now. " Can you," he drifts off as if wondering if he is doing the right thing or not, shaking his head he figures he has come this far. Looking back at Dobby, Mr. Colton waves his hand in an invitation to walk beside him, as Dobby catches up to him Mr. Colton continues, "Can you promise me that you will not tell if I were to tell you something," he asks softly.

"I swear to you Dobbys' loyalty Master," Dobby instantly vows.

Mr. Colton gives a small sad sigh, "That is not exactly what I am talking about," he says as he stops walking and turns to face Dobby. Mr. Colton then surprises Dobby by easily kneeling down before him with no difficulty at all.

As Dobby watches he can see an obvious difference between now and when Mr. Colton did this at the Malfoy Manor. As he sees this difference he is unable to stop himself from raising an ear in silent question. Mr. Colton smiles softly at the confusion, the question evident in Dobby's eyes. "I am not who I appear to be," Mr. Colton starts to explain. "One of many lessons for you Dobby is to never trust what you see. The eyes can be deceiving," he explains as a slight wind starts to pick up, blowing around the two of them.

At the feel of the unexpected wind, Dobby jumps slightly in recollection of a sensation he has not felt in many years. Since the incident with the Chamber of Secrets Dobby has been forbidden to go outside at all, so at this unexpected gratifying feeling he is unable to stop himself from looking around to the surrounding fields needing to see the way the untamed earth responds to the sudden breeze. Only to be astonished to see the wind isn't touching the surrounding fields. As he realizes this he instantly turns his head back to look at his new master, hoping for an explanation for the unexplainable, only to find himself face to face with someone else. Someone who is currently in the same place his master was in a moment ago. As he looks at the face of a young man with grey eyes he finds himself at a loss. What has happened to his aged master and just who exactly is this kid before him.

"It's alright Dobby," the kind voice of the kid assures Dobby.

Dobby's eyes widen in dumbfounded amazement, "Why," he asks only to stop. He starts shaking his head realizing his error, 'never question a human,'

"I did not want Lucius Malfoy to know who I really am," Evan Knight answers Dobby's unfinished question. Evan pauses slightly, then decides to continue anyway, he has come this far might as well continue. "And Dobby," he says catching Dobby's complete attention, as the little elf seemed to be trying to see if he could locate Mr. Colton, his confused mind refocuses on the man before him. "You are free," Evan says as he reaches into an inside pocket of his gray worn robe, pulling out a simple pair of new socks. As he does this Evan can't help but remember the Dobby of his world. "If this is the way you would prefer it to occur, that is fine as well," he says as he holds out the socks for Dobby to take.

Dobby stares in disbelief at not only the man but the socks as well. "You free Dobby," he asks timidly, the shock evident in his voice. Dobby doesn't know what to believe anymore, and for a moment he can't help but feel it is all a dream, that he will wake up to his master's call. This one stranger has confused him more than he has ever been in all his life.

"You are my friend," Evan states to unknowing elf. "I know you do not know me, that I seem to you to be a very bizarre eccentric stranger," he says with a trace of deep sadness in his young voice. "However true this may be, you are still my friend," Evan says with a shrug as Dobby slowly, hesitantly takes the socks offered to him.

"Why," Dobby questions as he looks up from the socks in his still shaking hands to focus on the man's green eyes.

"I am just returning the favor," Evan says shrugging dismissively. "Go have fun Dobby," he says smiling slightly. "If you ever need me Dobby, in this weird world I go by the name of Evan Knight," Evan says finally introducing himself.

Even as he says this Evan knows Dobby doesn't understand, "Y…you d…don't w…wa…want Dobby," Dobby almost cries out, his stunned silence finally cracking.

Evan exhales a deep breath as he sits down on the ground so as to better see the figure before him. "I don't want you to be a slave Dobby," he starts to explain softly, "Even to me." Evan can't help but smile slightly as he continues, his voice still soft, "Hermione would be very displeased with me," he says distantly, his mind and thoughts somewhere else completely. Returning his thoughts to a different time, a different world, he forces himself to focus on Dobby, "I want you to be happy."

As Dobby starts to tear up he continues on hoping to avoid seeing Dobby cry because of him. "Take some time, see the world, but most importantly Dobby, have fun," Evan says. "When you feel you have had enough of the world," he pauses slightly, "or whatever," he shrugs not knowing what Dobby would want to do for fun. "When you are done, I would be honored to be able to hire you to work for me," he says to the open mouthed elf.

"H…hire Dobby," Dobby repeats not believing he has heard correctly.

"With vacation and everything," Evan says chuckling mentally at the stunned look on Dobby's face.

"Are you mad with Dobby Master Evan Knight sir," Dobby asks looking down at the brand new pair of socks in his hands.

"No, not at all," Evan assures him.

"Y…you s…still want D…Dobby," he all but begs.

"Only if you still want me," Evan returns with a smile.

Looking back down at his new socks, a light starts to shine behind the elf's eyes, a light thought to have been long since lost. "Dobby is free," he states in wonder. "DOBBY IS FREE," he finally yells out.

Evan is unable to hold back his laugh as he remembers the Dobby of his world had said the exact same thing in the same way. "Yes Dobby, yes you are," Evan confirms with an amused shake of his head.

Dobby doesn't know what to think, what to do, he just doesn't know. He has never encountered such a being. He also understands the feelings he had had when he first met Evan Knight, Evan Knight is a person to protect, to love with all his soul. "Master Evan Knight sir is a great wizard," Dobby declares feelingly.

"No," Evan counters gently, "Dobby is a great friend," he corrects as he stands up.

"M…master E…Evan K…knight calls Dobby f…friend," Dobby cries.

"Dobby is my friend," Evan confirms. "Go have fun my friend and if time and fate permits, I will see you again," Evan says softly.

"Oh yes, oh yes Master Evan Knight sir," Dobby cries, "Oh yes," he cries again as he throws himself at Evan and hugs his legs tightly. Dobby can't believe something he had thought lost to the world had arrived, had arrived and saved him, him Dobby, from certain death.

"Have fun Dobby," Evan says again as Dobby finally releases him from the hug.

"Dobby will," Dobby declares, "Dobby will," he vows as he raises his right hand. Evan smiles as he remembers seeing Dobby do this many times before. With a simple snap of his fingers Dobby the house-elf is gone, leaving Evan standing alone in the middle of the empty fields.

"Be careful my friend and do remember to have fun," Evan whispers to the air surrounding him. Releasing a sad sigh he continues slowly along the path before him, alone once again in the empty cruel world.

Potter Manor

Same Time

Different World

The scratching of a quill to aged parchment is all that can be heard in the unusually silent home. A single, lone figure sits at a desk in the far corner of the library. A desk that used to be shared with a specific raven haired young man who is no longer here to share the desk. So deep in thought Hermione Granger is oblivious to the world around her, a state that is not unusual for her to be in. So when a loud CRACK resounds through the manor she jumps in surprise. She knows there is only one person who can apparate in or out of the manor, and that person is Harry. As Harry's name passes her mind's eye her heart quickens almost painfully.

Quickly getting out of her chair, Hermione takes off in the direction of the sound. Though she is not bothered by the sound itself she is rather surprised to see a very angry elf standing before her as she comes to a stop. She knew mentally that it really couldn't have been Harry, but her heart had hoped it to be so. Seeing the anger in Dobby's eyes and not liking being on the receiving end of such a look she swallows roughly wondering just what has happened to make Dobby so mad. "Dobby," she squeaks out fearfully.

"Mister Harry Potter Sir is missing," Dobby growls out knowingly.

"Yes Dobby, he is," Hermione whispers as she instantly has to swallow back a sob that tries to emerge from her heart.

As Dobby sees this, sees her pain, his stance relaxes greatly, he is still posed defensively. "So Mister Harry Potter Sirs' Mione misses him too," Dobby asks tentatively.

Unable to stop it, a tear rolls down Hermione's cheek as she thinks about his words, "I do," she agrees softly, knowing if she were to say it louder she would break down into tears. Something she had been able to avoid thus far. Something she is trying to avoid as she prepares to leave this world behind.

"Dobby knows Master Dumbledore's plan," he announces with a tone of question in his voice. As Hermione hears this she nods her head in agreement that she knows of this plan. "Dobby is going," he pronounces clearly, leaving no room for question.

Hermione is unable to stop the smile from forming on her face as she hears this. "I want him here Dobby. I need to see him, I need to," she drifts off and closes her eyes as she chases two more tears out of her sad eyes.

At seeing this Dobby relaxes completely, "Dobby knows Mister Harry Potter Sirs' Mione," he assures her softly. "Is Mister Harry Potter Sirs' Wheezys going," he asks needing to know. Hermione who is unable to find her voice simply nods her head in agreement. Dobby smiles for the first time since he arrived, "Great," he declares. "Dobby must get ready. Dobby will be back to help Mister Harry Potter Sirs' family," he promises energetically. Then with a snap of his fingers Dobby leaves Hermione alone in the study once more.

Hermione shakes her head as she remembers Dobby and all the years she has known him and known of him. She knows he loves Harry and would do anything to protect him, anything for him. She also knows Harry would protect Dobby as well. Hermione smiles at the memories going through her mind, glad of something else to think about for a moment.

With a sigh she turns around to return to her work. She smiles wider as she mentally plays what the others are going to say about their new traveling partner and about how Harry will react when he sees all of them when they finally arrive in his new world, their new world.