Unofficial Portkey Archive

Destiny’s Ghost by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Destiny’s Ghost

JadeLMSkywalker

Chapter Eighteen

The Specter

Knight's Sanctuary

One Week Later

Darkness more engulfing than Evan's ever seen or felt before in his sleeping or waking mind, starts to fill the area surrounding his soul, as if trying to suck the very light from within his very being. Evan gasps desperately for breath at the pure hatred trying to over take him, trying to become one with him, freezing his soul with the magnitude of the darkest emotion. Evan knows this feeling, knows what is happening, he was forced to live through this before, and recognizes what is about to happen. Evan futility tries to force himself to wake, knowing it is no use. Evan knows he has never felt it this strongly before, never felt such despair at the feelings being sensed. Evan quickly tries to mentally, spiritually, and physically close the walls surrounding his soul, trying to protect himself from invasion, knowing it's useless, his mental and physical self covered in sweat and thrashing uselessly against the invading force. Evan knows though he might be able to protect his inner light, one way or another he will be forced to observe the hatred, the actions of those who brought him here, knows his soul is about to be touched as though being hugged by hundreds of Dementors at once. His soul feels with resignation as Evan slowly opens his mental eyes to see a room he knows he's never been in, but can't help see striking similarities to one from his world. The only thing he can think about this is; different location, same decorator.

Evan takes in the throne room style, the large open space with dark lighting. He looks at all those gathered, forced to stand as there is only one chair. This fact passes his mind as he settles his eyes on the figure in the center, the figure currently occupying the only furniture in the room. With a quick blink, Evan quickly realizes Tom Riddle doesn't look half as evil as he did in the world Evan comes from. The floor of the grand room is stone, easy to clean blood from, and there are a few smatterings of snake scales littering the room. The roof is high ceiling with a clear view of the sky, kind of like in the Great Hall at Hogwarts but charmed dark. The walls are dank and covered with grime, the over all feeling being death. Taking a look at where he stands, Evan quickly moves into the shadows, becoming the specter once again, his eyes and mind settling in for another long night as the main actor seems to take his cue to start this gathered mass of twenty Death Eaters, their cloaks on but their masks are no where to be seen.

"Wormtail," hissed a voice hatefully which Evan had hoped to never hear amongst the living again.

A form long since dead in his world crawls forth on his hands and knees, in order to literally kiss Voldemort's feet. "Y…y…yes m…m…mast…master" he stutters in answer to the call.

"I see you have failed me once again," Voldemort says with distaste and a bit of eagerness, as though waiting for something. Something Evan knows would come one way or another.

"I…I was u…unable to g…get p…past the wards my m…master," Wormtail whines pathetically.

"It's only the Weasley's house," Voldemort spits out sounding more like a snake than a human.

"They have special… complicated wards, they won't recognize me," he tries explaining again knowing his punishment is already determined.

Voldemort smiles maliciously at the figure before him as he flicks his wand in the direction of the cowering figure, "Crucio," he hisses out as he looks at the fingernails of his free hand. Looking at the screaming servant he scowls as he releases the curse, "I tire of your incompetence," Voldemort says as his eyes turning from the whimpering excuse for a loyal servant and to another servant, who he anticipates isn't as worthless, but knows failure is still coming.

After a moment he becomes bored with this and looks to Lucius, "Are you still having difficulty gaining money to purchase your incompetent son a lawyer," he drawls out in disgust. His servants can't even seem to keep their own children under control, how can, they be expected to do well in the field.

"I am m…my Lord," Lucius says timidly as he bows lowly in respect.

"Sell that piece of vermin, Dobby I think," Voldemort demands.

"No one will wish to buy him my Lord," Lucius states slowly, fearful of being placed under the curse.

"Are you questioning my words," Voldemort snaps causing Lucius to shrink visibly.

"No m…my Lord, I will s…sell it tomorrow," Lucius says in a nervous stutter.

"Be sure you do," Voldemort says sternly, "there's something about that Elf," he says as an afterthought.

"William," Voldemort calls out to the next victim for his entertainment.

"Yes my Lord," another figure dressed in Death Eater uniform says in answer as he steps forward while bowing graciously. The shadowed specter hears this voice, stepping forward just slightly revealing himself in light for a moment in the vision slightly, only to step back. Evan's mind plays the voice in his head and realizes he knows exactly who William is.

"Have you placed the devices," Voldemort asks as he fights the urge to rub his hands together in triumph.

"The devices have been correctly placed throughout Hogwarts as you ordered Master," William says with a bow.

"Where have you placed them exactly," Voldemort questions impatiently as the prospect of finally being rid of the annoy school and its Headmaster is on the horizon. William went on to explain to his Master the locations of the devices and explained what each said devices were meant to do. The shadowed specter listens to all this not knowing what he wants to do, how he should proceed, should he even care about William.

"Very good," Voldemort says some time latter, "It seems I have finally found someone who can and will follow my orders without question," he all but growls at the petrified group before him as his red eyes move from Lucius to a terrified Wormtail. "Dismissed," he says distantly, and then nonchalantly, "And Lucius," he says to the man who turns around to answer the call of his name. "Never question me again," he demands, "Crucio," he shouts out in laughter.

Across the country, on the top most of a hill overlooking Hogsmeade and Hogwarts a sweat soaked figure sits bolt right in his sweat soaked bed screaming at the top of his lungs as an agonizing jolt cuts through his scar spreading to the rest of his body. After a moment the figure quiets down to heaving breaths pain, tense muscles involuntarily twitching from not only his exertion but what was transferred to him during the vision. Blinking his eyes he tries to clear his vision, he tries to find her, he needs her here with him. "HERMIONE," the figure instinctively screams out in need momentarily forgetting that he's alone in this horrible world that he is forced to call home. A world that seems to be crueler to him than his own, Evan fights against the tears stinging his eyes as he remembers Hermione isn't here, she isn't here to help him to know what to do, she isn't here to help sooth his tormented soul, she isn't here to be his conscience, she just isn't here. His heart is heavy as he realizes he is the only one to blame and he hates himself for it.

Evan swings his legs over the side of the bed, the blankets still clinging to him, his elbows resting on his knees as he continues to fight with his body to slow down his breathing and stop fidgeting, as he tries to figure what his next move is. A memory of better times floats to his painful mind as he presses the heels of his left hand to his scar as though trying to physically push the pain away, his eyes tightly closed. Suddenly a vision from another time filters through his mind, a vision he knows happened but he doesn't remember it as clearly as his mind is showing him now.

"Harry," a soft voice whispers next to him as he huff out his breath trying not to scream at the vision he had just had, his elbows on his knees, his bare feet touching the cold floor of the tent, his body and hair soaked from sweat, his nightclothes clinging to him as though a second skin. As he hears this voice he opens his eyes to look straight into the concerned brown eyes looking back at him, from her place kneeling in front of him.

"Hermione," Harry whispers hoarsely only to be taken into her caring arms as she makes her way to sitting beside him. He quickly wraps his own arms around her as he starts to slowly rock him side to side as though he were a baby. "I hate this Hermione, I hate being the Boy-Who-Lived, I don't know what to do," he says desperately as he tries to bury his head into her warmth, to feel her heart beating beneath his ear.

"You do the only thing you know how to," Hermione whispers into his ear as she buries her head into his wet untamable hair, her eyes taking in the emptiness of the tent, though it is magical in nature, it looks a lot like a simple Muggle tent, just a bit bigger. "Doing the right thing is never easy Harry. You of all people know this," she confirms soothingly, as she starts to rub his back in small circular patterns. "But it's the only thing you know how to do and I'm so proud of you for it, for all of it," she says with wisdom beyond her years as she briefly tightens her hold around him.

"Thank you," Harry whispers after a moment as his breathing slowly starts to return to normal.

"For what," Hermione asks amused.

"For being you," Harry answers, "I know I take you for granted," he says as he starts to slump more fully into her embrace, his voice starting to drift off once again, "but I do love you," he whispers in his slurred voice. "I don't know what I'd do without you and I don't want to find out," he says as he loses the battle and sleep overtakes him once again.

Hermione smiles into his hair as she slowly begins to lay him back down once again, "And I you, Harry, on all accounts," Hermione Granger whispers as she looks down on his now sleeping face, allowing for the first time her tears to roll down her cheeks at the pain he is forced to go through. Wiping the tears from her face she gently tucks Harry in for the night, or until he needs her again.

Standing up she leans over placing a gentle kiss on his forehead, "And I you, more than you know, sleep my sweet Harry, sleep well," Hermione whispers again before she returns to her own tent once again missing the looks from one redheaded boy in the same tent as Harry and the slight smile crossing his face as he watches the two of them. With a shake of his head Ron goes back to sleep, wondering yet again how Hermione does it, how she knows when and how Harry needs her.

Harry slowly opens his eyes to take in the world around him, he knows he has never seen that memory like that before and he can't help but feel connected to Hermione and yet at the same time more alone than he has ever felt before in his life. He can't help but feel as though Hermione is trying her best to reach across dimensions to try and sooth his tormented soul. He is forever thankful and knows he hasn't wanted to cry as much as he does now. How he misses them and though he knows he is stuck here in this cruel world, he wishes he could undo time and return home. "Thank you Hermione," Harry whispers to the darkened room. He inhales and exhales slowly once to gain control of himself and to gather his courage for what he is about to do, before throwing off the covers off his bed. As he stands up and immediately starts to throw his sweat-soaked bed clothes to the far end of the room, knowing he isn't about to go where he's headed in his nightclothes, wet nightclothes at that. Within moments he's as prepared as he's ever going to get. With a sigh he starts on his journey, the only keeping him going is Hermione's words, the right thing.

Godric's Hollow

Home of James and Lily Potter

A soft knock resounds throughout the house, Harry looks up from his designs for the next prank him and Ron will start with when School restarts and smiles hopefully. He is expecting his best friend Ron to come over tonight, that is, if his parents let him come over this late, so they can continue planning their next prank.

"I'll get it," Harry shouts out knowing his parents are going to get mad with him for waking his brother and sister, he jumps up from the floor and runs to the door. Throwing it open, without following the rules of checking to see who is on the other side of the door, he pauses as he sees the person before him. "Who are you," he demands with a growl.

"I am Evan," the boy before him answers him softly, looking him over almost with disgust and yet curiosity.

"What do you want," Harry grounds out not really caring who the visitor is, he's simply pissed it wasn't Ron.

"I am here to speak with Mr. Lupin," Evan says while looking at this version of himself in the eyes, disliking what he sees there.

"Remus," Harry spats in disgust.

"Yes, and Mr. Black," Evan agrees catching the underlying meaning from his counterpart. It seems this Harry Potter doesn't like Remus being a werewolf.

"Hold on," Harry says as he all but slams the door closed, shutting the visitor out. "Uncle Padfoot, Moony," he shouts out towards the stairway on the other side of the room as he returns to his plans.

Harry can hear the steps up above him and he knows he's going to get into trouble for his yelling, but he doesn't much care, he can work his way around it. The steps stop as Sirius and Remus both look over the railing, "What is it Harry," Sirius asks as he looks down at the figure now sprawled on the floor.

"There's a kid at the door for you," Harry says in a bored tone as he picks up an eraser to erase part of the plan that doesn't seem to work with the rest of it, too out of place for it to work properly. Harry doesn't look up, he has no reason to, it doesn't matter to him with they are doing, they are in fact just in the way of him and his planning.

"A kid," Remus asks curiously.

"He asks for Mr. Lupin first," Harry spits out with a shrug, wishing they'd just leave him alone, "Then he asked for Mr. Black," he finished.

"Where is he," Sirius asks as he and Remus step into the Front Room and look around, trying to locate the mysterious visitor.

"At the front door," Harry grunts out hating his interrogation.

"You didn't let him in," Remus asks incredulously only to receive a glare from Harry as he looks up from his work as an answer. He and Sirius start to make their way across the room to the hallway leading to the front door.

"Did he happen to mention his name," Sirius asks trying to diver the hostility, all the while hating the way Harry is treating Remus, he hates that it's been this way ever since Harry learned of Remus's condition. Nothing is as it once was and Sirius hates the way his Godson is turning out, turning for the worst that one is.

"Something like Kevin or whatever," Harry says as he rolls his eyes before returning to his list of plans, forgetting the two men are even in the same house let alone same room.

Sirius and Remus share a look of wide-eyed disbelief, before Remus sputter, "It couldn't be Evan," he pause to swallow loudly, "Could it?" Both men hopeful but disbelieving of who is really at the front door, and as though the two talked previous about what they were doing, two fully grown men, at least they like to think themselves as such, decide to err on the side of hope and race to the door. Sirius gets there first, barely, and throws open the door to see a figure sitting on the top steps before them with his back towards them.

"Evan," Remus whispers with concern upon seeing the state of Evan's wet hair and the slight shaking of the teen's body.

Evan looks up at the two men over his shoulder, "Care to go for a walk," he asks the two of them hesitantly as he stands up and turns around to look at them fully. Evan tries not to let this moment be affected by the fact both people in front of him have been dead for a while in his previous world. Evan tries not to let his emotions get the better of him as he fights against taking them into his arms and begging them to stop the pain in his heart, begging them to get him home, to protect him.

"Can we ask James and Lily to come," Remus asks hopefully.

Evan contemplates this for a second, causing both Sirius and Remus to fear he will say no. After a tense pause Evan sighs as he shrugs noncommittally, "I don't much care one way or another Remus, but on one condition," he pauses to let it sink in, "they can't ask personal questions," he says quickly seeing the excitement start to build in their eyes.

Remus looks Evan over, "I'll go and get them and a jacket for you," he says with a nod of understanding and he can't help it, sadness.

"You don't have to worry about the jacket, I can summon a jacket. I was in a hurry and didn't even think about it," Evan explains with shrug.

"Okay, I'll leave you with Sirius here, while I go and fetch them," Remus says with a warning glare at Padfoot. Sirius looks at him innocently and then reaches behind the door and snags his own coat, then walks out the door as Remus steps fully into the house and gently closes the door behind him.

"You really impressed him, and me," Sirius says looking back at the door as it closes, throwing his jacket on quickly so as to be done with that seemingly unimportant task. He then turns to see Evan slipping into what appears to be a Muggle jacket, something his mind calls up as Levi jacket or something similar. "Thank you," Sirius roughly with emotion, the gratitude in his voice clear; but along with it, is a touch of concern for the boy before him. Sirius knows Evan wouldn't come here unless something has happened to cause him to need to talk to Remus. Something he knows is important.

Evan looks up at the mirror image of his Godfather and shakes his head slightly, weary of his headache, "I only did what I had to do," Evan with a faint distant smile, his mind lingering on the vision he had had of Hermione.

"You didn't have to," Sirius points out, still trying to understand why Evan assisted Remus and to understand why he feels so protective of the teen before him. He knows the only time he has ever seen the teen before him was at the battle of Hogwarts, but he can't help but feel he should know him somehow.

"Perhaps," Evan says softly as another shiver runs through his light frame.

"You okay," Sirius asks concerned with seeing the teen shiver as though a ghost has walked over his grave, giving into his need to try and make this kid's world better.

"I hate dreams," Evan admits softly as he looks down and straightens his jacket, receiving a chuckle from the man who is descending the steps to stand directly before him.

"I know what you mean," Sirius says with another chuckle, "I once dreamed I was a hotdog and was being eaten," he says to the boy before him, trying to make the kid at ease, to open up, he doesn't know, feel comfortable, safe even.

"The fact that you transform into a dog has nothing to do with this right," Evan teases the man before him, his eyes meeting Sirius's, his face expressionless. "Or is it the fact that you've been a HOTDOG, as you call it, while in this form," Evan pauses as his eyebrows rise in question. "However, the real question is did you enjoy being eaten," he continues straight faced, except for the slight tug on the corners of his mouth, only to receive a barking laugh in response.

"My, you do have a sense of humor," Sirius manages to get out between his peals of laughter.

"I had good teachers," Evan says with a shrug, his face never betraying how much he finds the situation funny.

Meanwhile

Inside the house

Godric's Hollow

Remus quietly and calmly closes the front door only to turn around and take off at a dead run down the hall and through the front room where the Harry of this world is still planning. He dashes up the stairs trying to reach the study where he had Sirius had come from, where the four of them had been talking and researching one Evan Knight. Remus knows that during his and Sirius's absence, James and Lily more than likely have sat down waiting for their return. Remus bursts into the room, panting like the dog Sirius is, only to realize he needs to exercise more often. Remus pauses in his step a concerned look popping into his normally calm eyes, concern about how they are going to react to who is at their door, concern about a replay of that day at Hogwarts, concern that they won't heed Evan's request.

"Who was at the door," James asks upon seeing the look in his brother's eyes.

"You have to promise not to ask any personal questions," Remus pants instead of answering James' question.

Lily looks over at her equally confused husband before looking back at Remus, "What," she asks curiously.

"No personal questions," Remus repeats staring them directly in the eyes, trying to convey through his expression that this condition must be met before anymore information will be given.

"Okay," Lily and James say as one slowly and in confusion.

"Good, grab your coats we're going for a walk," Remus says with a smile reminding both of the other adults of children walking into a candy store and being told they could choose whatever they like.

"With whom," Lily asks as she rises from her seat near the fire in the hearth, James following her example.

"Why Evan, of course," Remus says as though letting the cat out of the bag, only to find himself alone as the other two have already taken off out the door at the mention of Evan. Remus smirks as he follows the sound of their hurried activities towards the front of the house, and the cursing of Harry as they pass him.

"Language Harry and you should be in bed," James corrects the irate youth.

"Tomorrow we will deal with your shouting in the middle of the night," Lily warns the teen.

As they reach the door, Remus puts his hand on the door just above Lily's shoulder, stopping James from opening it. Both Lily and James look at Remus in question, "Remember, no personal questions," he reminds them. "He only agreed to allow you two to come if you could keep this promise," he tells Lily and James. They both nod in agreement, knowing if they mess this up they might never get another chance.

The three of them open the door to see boy and man standing at the bottom of the stairs, about a meter away from the stairs, the distance between the two could be measured by mere centimeters, at the most. From the new spectator's view point it is evident that Evan is a bit taller than Sirius. When neither Evan nor Sirius make a move, or a sound to acknowledge the new presence of James, Lily and Remus, but simply continue to glare into each others eyes as though a fight is about to ensue, the three hesitate not knowing what to make of the situation. Suddenly Sirius curses, "Damn you're good," making James, Lily, and Remus jump slightly. "The last time I lost at that was before I went to Hogwarts," he exclaims while rubbing his eyes and blinking furiously as he looks away from Evan.

"Interesting game," Evan says to the amusement of the adults as he continues to watch Sirius rub the tears from his eyes.

"What," Lily asks as the three of them walk down the stairs towards the two, "You've never played the staring game," she finishes her question confused that someone had never played such a simple games as a child.

Evan turns to the three of them and bows slightly in greeting, "Games where never on the top of my list of things to do," he says and everyone could tell there was a hidden meaning behind those words, he turns back to Sirius. "Now," Evan says, "Would you kindly explain the meaning of such a 'game'," he asks.

"It's a battle of the wills," James answers before Sirius can come up with some off the wall answer.

"Interesting," Evan says after a moment. "I guess I never thought of it as that," he says as he reaches his left hand up to rub his still throbbing scar, he doesn't know why he uses his left hand, he always has. "Though it never really worked previously, I always ended up in the Infirmary anyway," he says deep in concentration, his mind returning to all the fights with Voldemort, and Draco and how he always ended up in the Infirmary. Evan shrugs as his forces his mind back to the present. "So, shall we go for that walk," he asks the stunned group with him. The four adults nod in agreement and the five of them take to the sidewalk heading north. only to go out onto the abandoned street when they realize the five of them can't fit on the sidewalk and no one was going to walk behind Evan, they want to walk with him, there placement reminiscent of last supper with Evan in the center with his fellows flanking each of his sides, Sirius and Remus to his right, respectively and Lily and James to his left, once again respectively. "Mind if I ask a question," Evan says after a few seconds of silence.

"Go ahead," James rushes to say.

"What is Harry doing up at two in the morning," Evan asks.

"Oh," Lily says with a slight blush, "He's waiting to see if Ron can come over," she answers, "It's their prank weekend," she tries to explain. Evan nods his understanding and thus gaining the answer to his unspoken question of whether the Harry of this world has the same dreams, the answer being a resounding big fat NO.

"What are you doing up this late," Sirius asks after losing his internal battle of trying to protect this youth.

"I had a dream," Evan answers as he keeps his easy steps at an even pace, not giving the others any indication of the conflict taking place within his soul, the internal conflict of remaining here and finishing what he has started, compared to his desire to be as far away from these people as possible.

"A dream," James asks confused.

"A dream," Evan confirms with a slight nod, as he once again rubs his scar. "Though with me a dream can mean any number of things," he says softly as the five of them make their way down the street, following instinctively where Evan is leading them, though the four adults have no clue as to where they are really heading.

"What did this dream mean," Remus asks softly.

Evan looks up at the stars above them and closes his eyes tightly. His thoughts traveling back to Hermione, her wise words and how she seems to be able to reach across time and space to help sooth his breaking soul. He swears he can almost feel her arms around him, smell her, and hear her voice as she tried to help him that night not too long ago. "You do the only thing you know how to. Doing the right thing is never easy Harry. You of all people know this. But it's the only thing you know how to do and I'm so proud of you for it, for all of it." Evan inhales deeply as he fights against the tears wanting to flood his eyes at the thought of never being able to hear her voice again; of never being able to have her in his arms again, his heart breaks just a bit more as he realizes this. "Thank you," he whispers softly as he opens his eyes to see the stars again, stars he can't help but remember from all the times the three of them, Hermione, Ron, and himself would stare at for hours, "Thank you," he whispers again trying to get his meaning across the greatest divide between him and his family. He finds comfort that they at least look the same, and that he might be looking up at them at the same time Hermione is.

Clearing his throat and hoping his tears haven't escaped him, Evan tries to get this over with. "You're," he starts but his voice cracks slight. "You've been wondering how to get rid of this new D.A.D.A. Professor," he states wanting to get this over with, the adults seem to turn and look at him as though knowing it isn't a question, but are confused at the change in his tone, the sadness they can feel almost radiating off of him.

"The Death Eater known as William," Evan says shrugging when they don't comment right away.

"Yes," James says surprising the other three adults; he has just given out some very sensitive Order information, information that could cause them trouble.

"It seems he's been ordered to set devices around Hogwarts to destroy her," Evan says as he continues to walk as everyone becomes still at his words. The shock from the information they have just received prevents them from moving any muscles.

A heartbeat later everyone comes out of their stupor to realize Evan isn't with them, he is a few paces ahead, his steps never wavering from the constant easy rhythm they started out with, the four adults run to catch up with the youth. "What do you mean," Remus asks.

This time Evan stops in his tracks, ignoring the others he turns to look at Remus, "Hogwarts is Voldemort's greatest threat, she represents hope. Something he can't destroy without destroying the figure itself," he explains to the shocked group. "Hope is what keeps Voldemort and his Death Eaters from winning and," he continues as his voice starts to drop in volume, his eyes shifting once again to the stars as though looking for Hermione amongst the glowing spheres, a far away look gracing his face. "It seems hope is what stopped his early return," he whispers, as he bits his lip, a habit he picked up from Hermione, to himself though the others heard and are confused by his words.

"But everyone knows Hogwarts isn't safe, there's a threat from within," Lily says with a shake of her head as she tries to puzzle together what Evan could possibly mean by that last statement.

Evan's eyes still looking at the endless span of stars, "The Chamber of Secrets," he says knowingly, distantly, shocking everyone there.

"Is only a myth," Sirius says instantly trying to salvage his teenage belief that the school is still safe, no matter what has or will happen.

Evan looks down from the sky, his gaze looking Sirius directly in the eyes, "Tell that to Moaning Myrtle and G…Ginny Weasley," he says still looking the man in the eyes, but it is clear how he feels as he stutters on Ginny's name, pain clear in his telling eyes. Evan raises his eyebrow, fighting the shiver that comes every time he thinks of Ginny's fate, shaking his head he turns north and resumes walking as though trying to get away from that memory.

"What are you talking about," James asks as they again have to catch up to the boy.

Evan looks to his right, to see Sirius there, "You say the Chamber is a myth, no?" he asks the Auror. Sirius nods his head in agreement of his previous statement. "The Chamber has been opened twice before," Evan tells the shocked group, his face still in Sirius's direction. Turning to watch where they are walking Evan continues, "The first time was when Professor Dumbledore was the Transfiguration Professor, nearly fifty years ago, I think," he says telling a story he lives again and again in his nightmares. "At the time the blame was placed upon an innocent man, by the perpetrator himself, the actual heir of Slytherin," Evan says with a shake of his head as he remembers Hagrid being taken off to Azkaban for a crime he didn't commit. "When the Chamber was opened last it was by possession," he explains to the dumbfounded adults. "Possession by means of a magical diary," he says as they come up on the first corner of their walk, he turns the corner causing the other adults to do so as well, and continues walking undeterred of their surroundings.

"Ginny had a diary," Lily gasps out.

"Right," Evan agrees with a nod of his head. "The diary contained the sixteen year old soul of the heir of Slytherin," he continues with a more abbreviated version of the story.

"What do you mean," Remus asks.

"Dark magic," Evan says with a shrug, "My Headmaster never really explained it more than that," he admits. "Though for the soul to be reborn it cost Ginny her life," he says sadly still not able to believe what occurred.

"If that's true, then what is the monster," Lily asks trying not to sound accusing.

"A Basilisk," Evan says instantly and without hesitation, causing them to pause for few of the group knows what a Basilisk is. "Slytherin was a Parseltongue and therefore it's only logical he'd use something very few people could control," Evan explains after seeing and feeling the confusion from his companions. His words are met with silence; the only sound is the soles of their shoes meeting the concrete road.

"What happened to this sixteen year old heir," James asks softly knowing he believes the words of this boy, though he doesn't understand the feeling in his soul to try and protect Evan at any and all costs. As far as James' knows, he only feels this way towards his children, never about a complete stranger.

"I've been trying to figure that out for the past month and a half, ever since I learned of Ginny's fate," Evan says in a whisper as the four of them turn another corner. "That is until tonight," he says to their shock.

"What about tonight," Sirius asks in confusion.

"The heir of Slytherin, it seems, has to work his way back into the graces of his former self," Evan says with a slight smirk, confusing his companions even more. "The thing is, I think besides Voldemort, I'm the only other person who would know him for who and what he is," he says with a shake of his head, ignoring their shutters of horror at the mention of Voldemort. "Though I'm surprised Dumbledore doesn't," he says after a moments thought.

"You're killing me," Sirius grunts, trying to get the boy to hurry up already.

Evan looks over at him, "William," he asks to the Auror.

"William's the heir of Slytherin," Lily gasps in shock and horror.

"He would be of great use to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, being the heir of Slytherin and a Basilisk within his control," James agrees absently as he runs the possible outcomes through his mind.

"Perhaps," Evan allows and then smirks knowingly again, "Expect for the fact he is Voldemort," Evan says causing them to stop dead in their tracks and their mouths to hang open in shock, to shocked to care about Evan saying Voldemort. This time Evan stops a few paces ahead of them and turns to look back at the four of them. "You see as far as I can tell, he's taken some kind of an aging potion, but once you heart that voice there's no way you can ever forget its evilness," he pauses to shudder from remembering the voice vividly as he saved Ginny's life. "Is that even a word," he asks as he shrugs. "So it's only fitting that Tommy boy's right hand man is needless to say Tommy boy himself," Evan says evenly. "Since Tommy boy is in your presence in the school, beware where you look for you might find yourself on the receiving end of a death glare, and I'm not speaking of Professor Snape," he says as he reaches into the pocket of his jacket for a piece of parchment and an automatic inking quill. He steps over to the mail box and starts writing things down as the adults stand there dumbfounded beyond words, as they think about the plethora of information they've just been told.

"The entrance to the Chamber can only be opened by a Parseltongue," Evan says absently as he continues to write, not watching his companion's reactions. "As you can tell from what I said, the entrance to the Chamber's entrance is in the girl's bathroom with Moaning Myrtle," he says with a slight wave of his hand as though to dismiss such trivial thoughts, but in reality he is concentrating on his dream and the locations of the devices. "Just ask her how she died and you'll learn more about what happened to her, as for Ginny," he pauses slightly here, a shiver clearly passing through him. "Her life force was drained from her to allow him to return to physical form. I believe the diary may still be with her," he pauses here as his voice cracks as he tries to ay what he needs to, "H…her re…remains, or perhaps Tom took it with him," he finishes. "Though what I don't know is if he can be destroyed the same way or not," he says looking up at Remus to make sure he understands what Evan is saying and the meaning behind them, or at least the possible meanings behind the words, leaving the other three adults blinking in confusion.

"Though I doubt Voldemort will be happy with his younger counterpart once you defuse the devices," he pauses again as he puts the quill away and fold the parchment. "That is if you believe me," he corrects and before anyone can say anything he continues to walk away as he turns another corner. as they catch up once again, "The dream I had tonight contained Voldemort, Wormtail," he pauses as he hears the four adults gasp in shock at his use of their one time friend's secret name, "Lucius and Tommy boy," he continues undeterred by their shock.

"How did you know he was called Wormtail," Lily gasps out in question, her heart thundering against her chest as she realizes this boy seems to know more about them then he should.

"Where he got William I'll never know," Evan says ignoring her question as he shakes his head. "Before I forget to tell you, the Basilisk is using the pipes," he says as he realizes he never told them that part.

"Anyway, they first talked about Wormtail trying to breach the wards at the Weasley's, they never said what for. So if you'll kindly warn them, I'll send them word as well. It also seems Malfoy's son is in a bit of a rut and Malfoy can't afford to get him out. Though I think I might buy Dobby," Evan says more to himself than anyone else. "Then it was an update on the destruction of Hogwarts and the locations that the devices are at," he says stopping and turning to face them. "What you do with this information is your business, but I've done everything I can, I've done what is right," he says reaching out with the parchment in front of him only to have Sirius take it gently from his hands.

"The devices will be enough evidence for your wishes," Evan says after a moments thought, trying to remember if he has covered all that he's come here for. "Now if you'll excuse me," he says as he once again rubs his forehead, "I have a headache to get rid of, so I bid you good morning," he explains with a slight bow as he disappears silently before their eyes, needing to get as far away from them as possible, knowing if they trusted him or not there was nothing more he could do to persuade them.

They stand there for a few minutes looking at the space that was occupied by even just a few short moments before. The information they've just received is slowly sinking into their muddled brains. Remus looks to his left and can't help but bursting out in laughter.

"What," Sirius asks only to have Remus point in the direction he is looking. Everyone turns to look at what is so amusing to the werewolf, only to find themselves amazed as well. For to their surprise they're now back where they started from, in front of the Potter residence. "Smart kid," Sirius repeats again in amazement.

"Do you believe him," Remus asks the other three hopefully.

"Yes," they say as one.

"Good," Remus says with a relieved sigh.

"Now the question is, who should take this to Dumbledore," Sirius asks with a raised eyebrow as he lifts up the parchment in his hand.

"How about you three," Lily says while yawing, "Unlike you three are, I'm not used to these late night adventures," she says with a kind smile.

James leans over and gives her a kiss on the cheek, "Good night dear," he says as he gives her a gentle smile.

"Go on you clowns," Lily says as she waves at the three, making her way back into the house shaking her head all the way, though in truth she knows she won't be sleeping any time soon, given what they have learned on this night.

Sirius looks over at the other two remaining Marauders and grins, "Shall we," he asks with a mock bow like a gentleman leading his lady friend through a doorway.

"I think we shall," Remus agrees imitating the bow, and in the next moment three CRACKS fill the air leaving emptiness where there so-called adult men stood.