Unofficial Portkey Archive

Destiny’s Ghost by JadeLMSkywalker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Destiny’s Ghost

JadeLMSkywalker

Chapter Seven

Mr. Ollivander and Repercussions

Evan steps into the old building with the same feeling of foreboding as when he stepped into this place on his first trip to Diagon Alley, his first trip to anywhere magical in truth. He looks up at the old fashioned Muggle bell above the door quickly before he quickly closes the door behind him. With a sigh he steps further into the shop.

After leaving Madam Malkin's his schedule got changed rather quickly. It seems that today Mr. Ollivander was taking a late day. So Evan proceeded on with his list and is now a proud owner of a very spacious and secured trunk, and of a new account at Gringotts. He has placed his old belonging in his new vault and then he went to get his new trunk. After he go his trunk he got his writing supplies, treats for both of his familiars, he even stopped off at Quality Quidditch Supplies to get a look at the newest broom, at least through the window.

His attention is brought back to the present as he hears a sound coming from the back of the store, alerting him some one is moving. He steps to the left, thus taking himself out of the way of being a target if someone is shooting off hexes and the like. Soon he sees the graying form known as Mr. Ollivander. "Good morning Mr. Ollivander, sir," Evan says softly in greeting. Instantly wishing he hadn't thought of this so called brilliant plan.

Mr. Ollivander looks over at the young man before him, "Good morning young man," he says as he continues to look him over. "What can I do for you today," he asks as he tries to mentally figure out who this young man could be.

"I need to purchase a wand," Evan says with a rise of his eyebrow. "Is there a problem sir," he asks after a moment.

"I know who you remind me of," Mr. Ollivander says after a moment, "but I also know this to be impossible," he says more to himself.

"Who do I remind you of sir," Evan asks knowing full well who.

"Well the Potters of course," Mr. Ollivander answers easily. "Do you know them," he asks hopefully.

Evan swallows roughly, "can't say I've had the pleasure," he answers honestly.

"You should you know," he says as he comes around the counter to stand directly in front of his new customer. "Nice group of people they are," he says confirming a fear Evan has had since learning of Ginny's death. His parents or the copies of his parents are alive in this world.

"I will think about it," Evan answers honestly for he has no idea what he wants to do about them. Does he want to get to know them, ignore them, leave as they are, have them as his parents, friends, he just doesn't know.

"You do that young man," Mr. Ollivander suggests. "So tell me, what is your name," he asks still trying to place where he has seen this young man before.

"Evan Knight," Evan answers with a small shrug.

"Never heard of that family," Mr. Ollivander admits and then shrugs himself deciding to put his thoughts away for now. "Which hand is your wand hand," he finally asks.

"It started out with my right hand," Evan admits smiling at the confusion on the face of the man before him. "Now I'm more than able to use both hands," he confesses with another shrug.

"Both hands," Mr. Ollivander asks interested, "and the spells work," he asks.

"They're stronger on the right but that's the only difference," Evan answers.

"Curious, very curious," Mr. Ollivander says as he set his tape measure to work on Evan's right side and then left side. Once the tape measure is done, Mr. Ollivander sets to work on finding Mr. Knight a Wand.

Thirty minutes, a hundred or so different Wands, three emptied bookcases, twelve broken glasses, three broken then repaired and re-broken vases, a hundred or so strewn out parchments later Mr. Ollivander smiles as he takes the latest disaster from Evan's hands. "You Mr. Knight are a very difficult customer, a challenge to be won," he says as he disappears from sight. It is here Evan knows what wand he is going for now. He knows it will be his wand's counterpart, he just doesn't know if it will choose him this time around. Turns out he needn't have wondered as Mr. Ollivander gently places his dear friend in his hand, almost as he had the first time in his world. And just as in his world, this wand reacts the same way. A soft glow surrounds Evan as a non existent wind blows against his Military regulation haircut. "Ah, it seems we have a match," Mr. Ollivander says with a relieved sign. "Though it is curious as to why this wand," he says more to himself than anything.

Though he already knows the answer to this question, he knows he has to ask or else it might seem a bit odd. "Why is it curious," he asks repeating his words from long ago.

"Because the Phoenix whose feather is in your wand gave only one other feather," he starts to explain.

"Who has the other wand then" Evan asks hating how even though he knows what is going to be said and how it is going to be said, he still is spooked by the old man's words and tone of voice.

"We do not speak his name," Mr. Ollivander says hauntingly.

"You mean Voldemort," Evan says causing the spooky old man to shiver from fright at the name.

After that Evan tried his best to quickly get out of the shop knowing that as soon as he steps out of the store Mr. Ollivander is going to owl Dumbledore about the sale. He pauses briefly as he makes his way over to Flourish and Blotts to wonder what Dumbledore is going to think about that. He smiles at the different reactions his mind makes up. Shaking his head he makes his way to the bookstore.

Just as Mr. Knight figured, as soon as he was out of the store Mr. Ollivander quickly grabbed a clean piece of parchment and in his untidy scrawl quickly writes a note to Headmaster of Hogwarts Professor Dumbledore explaining the young man who just purchased the only other wand to contain a Phoenix feather from Fawkes.

He quickly sends it off with his owl to get it to Hogwarts as quickly as possible, he knows Albus Dumbledore will be very interested in this young man and he can't blame him. He himself is very interested in this young man, now if only he could place where he knows him from, or who he reminds him off.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Headmaster Albus Dumbledore's Office

An aged figure looks up to the furthest window as he hears taping on his window. "Why, would Ollivander be sending me an owl today," he says to the person in front of him in question. With a wave of his wand the window opens allowing the owl entrance.

The person in the room with him quickly ducks out of the way of the swooping owl as the owl makes its way to the Headmasters desk. "What does it say Albus," Minerva McGonagall asks curiously as Albus removes the letter allowing the owl to quickly take its leave. He quickly opens the scroll to take a look at its contents. As he reads his eyes widen with each new word.

Professor Dumbledore

I am writing to inform you of a purchase that has taken place not just two short minutes ago. A young man by the name of Evan Knight has just purchased the second wand containing the Phoenix feather Fawkes gave all those years ago.

This young man is a strange one. It seems as though he is able to use a wand in either hand. He claims the only difference is the strength of the spell. He also is unafraid of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named for he has just said his name.

As of this moment he appears to be on his way to Flourish and Blotts, though for what I do not know. Another thing I find disconcerting is who he resembles. If I did not know any better I would say he is another son of the Potter's. The similarities are staggering.

There is another thing that is most particular; Mr. Knight has a scar on his forehead in the shape of a lightning bolt. It is an old scar but seems to have never healed over. His eyes are a light shade of gray and he is very alert of his surroundings. He's a nice fellow and all, but curious.

Ollivander

"Well, well," Albus Dumbledore says in thought as he rereads the letter. "I never thought it would be purchased," he says as he places the letter down on his table deep in thought and even worry.

"What is it," Professor Minerva McGonagall asks hesitantly.

"The second wand containing Fawkes feather has just been purchased," Albus says as he looks up at his companion.

"By whom," she asks curiously. She is the only other person who knows who owns the first wand. That is besides Dumbledore and Ollivander. She isn't sure what this means but she knows this is something very important.

"A young man by the name of Evan Knight," Albus says as he stands up from his desk. He walks over to a bookcase and removes a fresh stack of parchments. "Ollivander says he looks very familiar and is a nice fellow, but curious. It seems Mr. Knight has a lightning bolt scar on his forehead, it was interesting enough to catch the attention of Ollivander and we both know that when something catches that mans attention it is something of value," Albus explains as he returns to his chair with his new stack of parchments. "Ollivander also mentions that this young man is not afraid to say Voldemort," he continues ignoring the glare Minerva throws him as he says this. "Mr. Knight should have already finished his shopping at Flourish and Blotts but who is Evan Knight," he asks more to himself.

"What are you planning," Minerva asks knowing he is up to something.

"I am sending a note to Sirius to have him do a background check on Mr. Knight to see what we can come up with," he says as he dips his quill in his inkwell.

"Why not James," she asks confused.

"Ollivander also mentioned Mr. Knight, looks as though he could pass as another Potter," Albus says as he continues to write his note, ignoring Minerva's gasp of surprise.

Ministry of Magic

Auror Department

Third Floor

Office of Sirius Black, Lt. Commander

Sirius Black looks up as an owl lands on his desk. His eyebrows rise in question, wondering what an owl is doing flying around the Ministry. Then his brow furrows in concern as he recognizes the owl as being from Hogwarts. Since he knows school is out for the summer, set to start in the next two weeks he also knows it isn't from a student. And since the only times he receives and owl is when the Potter family owl is already out or when its business for the Order.

Reaching up he unburdens the owl of its load and watches as it takes flight once again, thus meaning there is no need to reply at this moment. Possible situations for this contact fly through his overactive imagination before he almost shouts at himself to knock it off and stop trying to scare himself and to just open the thing. With now unsteady hands he unrolls the scroll to see the familiar handwriting of the Headmaster, thus telling him it is Order business. He hopes, his mind can't help but put in.

Mr. Sirius Black

It has been brought to my attention there is a new person in town, Diagon Alley to be exact. This new person is someone who has inadvertently raised the curiosity of Mr. Ollivander and who seems to have stumped him as well. We both know from past experience what this means.

The reason for this note, I would greatly appreciate it if you would take the time to check out this new curiosity of ours. The young man is described by Mr. Ollivander as being a nice fellow, but curious. So we know he isn't an immediate threat if a threat at all. The name he gave was Evan Knight. If at all possible would you find out everything the Ministry has on this young man for tonight's gathering. If you find there to be more than one Evan Knight, which I doubt, but the one we are looking for has a very distinct scar, he has a lightning bolt shaped scar on his forehead.

Albus Dumbledore

Sirius rereads the note finding; he's not only getting curious about this Mr. Knight, but excited as well. He knows if Mr. Ollivander thinks something is odd it almost always is. And everyone knows when Sirius gets curious, watch out world, Black is on the case. Pushing his chair out from under his desk he sets to work on this not so bad assignment. He smiles wickedly as he steps out of his office and heads down to records.