Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors note: This is the first chapter of our new story. This is not set in the Dirty Dancing Universe, which is something new for us. This is more along the lines of canon, but with a delusional twist or two. We will be updating this fanfic only once a week---every Thursday. We hope that you enjoy it and please let us know what you think.

A Moment Lost - Enya

A moment lost, forever gone
can never be again,
so know how much it means to me;
all you said,
all you gave,
all your love to me.

It was half past two in the morning when Harry slipped out of his bedroom at Grimmauld Place. He could hear Ron snoring in the next room down as he tiptoed over to the stairs, avoiding the creaky places on the floor.

He headed for the kitchen to get himself some food to take along with him. Harry was filling his bag with things from the icebox when a voice made him jump.

"You're up late," Hermione said quietly. She was all set to lecture him about the importance of a good night's sleep when she saw he was fully dressed and he had a bag. "Harry...."

"Hermione," Harry froze at the sight of her. "Wh-what are you doing up?"

"I forgot to feed Crookshanks," she said pulling her robe tightly around her.

"Oh," Harry said lamely.

"Are you---you're not leaving, are you?" she asked willing him to meet her gaze. "I thought we agreed---"

"I have to do this," Harry said firmly. "I have to do this alone. It's going to come down between me and Voldemort."

"You can't!" she protested. "We agreed that we would all face him together, Harry."

"He'll kill you both!" Harry exclaimed. "He'll kill you both to get to me. I can't take that chance!"

"We're quite capable to defend ourselves," Hermione said folding her arms. "I think I can hold my own...."

"Not against him," Harry said. "Who knows what stunts he'll try to pull?"

Tears prickled Hermione's eyes and she shook her head. "No, Harry. You can't...."

"I have to," Harry said in a gentler tone.

She threw her arms around him in a hug that would have put Molly Weasley's bear hugs to shame.

"Hermione..." Harry staggered back.

Sobbing into his shoulder, she wondered why this was so hard. She'd had seven years to prepare herself for the cold, hard fact that Harry would one day have to face Voldemort like this. Now that it was happening, she wasn't sure she was able or ready to let him go.

He hugged her back, unconsciously kissing the side of her head. "I'll come back Hermione."

"You can't make that promise," she said weakly pulling away slightly to look at him.

"I'll try to come back," he said, gazing at her. "I swear I will Hermione."

"Aren't you scared?" she asked staring up at him. "You look so calm and brave. And I feel as if my world is falling apart."

"Terrified," Harry said. "But if I don't do this..."

"Why does it have to be you?" she asked as a tear fell down her cheek.

"Because it's not Neville?" Harry tried to joke.

"Nothing about this is funny," she said hugging him again.

"I know," he said, sobering. "I'm sorry..."

"I'm not going to be able to talk you out of this, am I?" she asked him.

"Not a chance," he said, tucking her hair behind her ear. "This is my battle."

"Were you going to say goodbye?" she asked. When he looked away, she nodded. "You thought it would be easier to sneak out..."

"I was afraid of something like this," Harry told her. "I knew you'd try and go with... and I know Ron would go as well..."

She cupped his face in her hands. "Promise me that you will be careful and stay focused and remember everything we've gone over."

"I will," he nodded. "I promise I will Hermione." his hands came over the top of hers.

She stared at him, wanting to memorize every line and curve of his face. The tears came again and her lower lip trembled.

"Don't cry," Harry said softly. "I don't want to remember you like this."

She nodded and tried to stave off the tears. "Harry---"

His finger touched her lips. "Shhhh..."

For the longest moment neither of them spoke. Hermione racked her brain for some last words of wisdom she could impart to him; or something to sum up how much she cared about him and how important he was to her.

"I have to go," Harry said. "If I don't leave now I don't think I ever will."

Hermione wasn't sure what made her do what she did next. Maybe it was the fact that he was about to leave and she may never see him again. Maybe it was something deeper. She didn't have time to analyse it now. Slowly, she leaned in and softly pressed her lips to Harry's.

His eyebrows shot up in surprise as Hermione kissed him. Before he realised what he was doing, Harry had dropped his bag and pulled her to him, kissing her back.

Hermione's hands snaked around Harry's waist and she held onto him as if her life depended on it. She'd never, ever been kissed like this.

Harry's hands fisted in her hair as he opened her lips under his. He kissed her deeply and passionately- hoping that this wasn't his last kiss he'd ever receive from a girl yet wondering how any other kiss could ever top this one.

Hermione was breathless when they pulled apart. She stared at him wondering what in the world had just happened and how it had happened.

"Wow..." he whispered.

"I-I shouldn't have done that," she said quietly. "I'm sorry."

"No it was..." Harry trailed off, not sure if he could put what had just happened into words.

Hermione switched into defensive mode. "You---you have everything? Your wand?"

"Yeah," Harry said. "I've got everything..."

She gave him one last hug. "Be careful, Harry."

"I will," Harry said. "I'll do my best to come back Hermione." he touched her cheek.

She's couldn't bring herself to say goodbye.

"I-I'll see you when you get back," she said putting on a brave face.

"Right," Harry smiled weakly. "When I get back... you'll explain this to Ron right?"

She nodded. "I'll try..."

"Thank you," Harry said. "For everything."

She watched as he picked up his bag and made for the door. "Harry!" she called after him.

"What?" he turned around.

She bit her bottom lip, wondering what she was going to tell him. It was on the tip of her tongue, but she didn't dare voice it. "You...you'll be okay, Harry," she said instead giving him a brave smile remembering the first time she'd left him to face Voldemort on his own. "You're a great wizard. You really are."

He smiled too. "I remember that moment like it was yesterday."

"Good luck, Harry," she said before rushing from the kitchen.

"You know she's always working," Ron Weasley complained, jerking Harry from his daydream. "And I asked her to move in with me and she says no, she likes having her own place!"

"Hmmm?" Harry asked.

Ron cast him an irritable look. "Hermione! She won't do anything I ask!"

"You know how she likes her independence," Harry said with a shrug.

"Yeah but she's MY girlfriend," Ron snapped. "You always stick up for her!"

"I'm not sticking up for anyone," Harry argued after taking a sip of his beer. "You are not going to get me to take sides, here. I'm not going to be caught in the middle of yet another Granger-Weasley row. I think I'll just watch from the sidelines, thank you very much."

Ron rolled his eyes. "Fine," he retorted.

"Where is she anyway?" Harry asked scanning the pub for any sight of her. "I thought she was going to meet us."

"That's what she told me," Ron said. "We should go over some plays while we wait for her."

Harry groaned. "Ron, I've been in meetings all afternoon with Murray talking about nothing but plays."

"Yeah but I'm your keeper," Ron argued. "You should tell me what our plays are."

Harry was part owner in the Chudley Cannons, a venture he'd taken on at first as a lark. To his surprise, he came to enjoy the ins and outs of the job. The press had taken to given him quite a bit of heat for signing Ron a couple of years back, accusing him of favouritism. It didn't matter that Ron was a reserve player.

"I can tell you that Teague is this close to retiring," Harry said referring to the team's star keeper.

Ron's eyes lit up. "That means I'll step in!" he pumped his fist in the air.

Harry grinned at his best friend. "Don't get ahead of yourself. You know how dodgy Teague is. He could change his mind at the last minute."

Ron's face fell. "That blimey bastard. I'm better than he is."

Harry opened his mouth to respond, but he and Ron were both jolted by the sound of a stack of books being thrown on the table.

"Hermione!" Ron exclaimed. "You could warn a bloke before you do something like that!"

"I'm sorry," she said sitting down. "But as soon as we finish up here, I have to head home and study up on these case notes."

"But we were supposed to go over to my mum's house tonight Hermione," Ron frowned at her.

Hermione sighed. "You never mentioned anything about going to your mum's."

"I told you that she and my dad wanted us over for tonight," Ron argued. "I told you that yesterday."

"You did no such thing," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "Honestly, Ronald! You are always planning these things without mentioning them to me."

Ron's face turned an angry shade of red. "You always back out at the last minute," he snapped. "Just so you can do your bloody case work."

"How can I back out of something at the last minute when I didn't even know about it to begin with?" she retorted.

Harry leaned forward. "You two, can you keep it down to a dull roar?"

Hermione blushed. "Right. Sorry about that. How are you, Harry?"

"Fine," he grinned at her. "Work's keeping you busy aye?"

She nodded. "I'm really trying to prove myself."

"You're certainly keeping the hours to prove yourself," Ron grumbled.

Hermione glared at him. "This from the bloke who was gone for a fortnight and didn't seem fit to send me an owl or a postcard."

"We were playing matches and I was practising!" Ron said defensively. "Harry tell her how busy we were!"

"Harry still found time to drop me a line," Hermione glared at him.

"I've never been one for writing, you know that," Ron said defensively. "And I'm surprised he managed to come up for air with Tricia joined to his lips during that trip."

Harry sighed heavily. "Ron..."

"Tricia?" Hermione asked looking at Harry. "Who's Tricia?"

"Just a girl I met," Harry mumbled. "It didn't last very long."

"You know Gin's not seeing anyone," Ron said. "And she's going to be there tonight at Mum's. You should come along."

"Ron," Hermione said. "How many times has Harry told you that he and Ginny are just friends? I thought you said you were going to stop trying to push them together."

"What?" Ron asked, trying to appear innocent. "She still fancies you a bit Harry."

"We're JUST friends Ron," Harry said sharply. "I'm not hung up on your sister all right? You hated it when she and I were seeing each other."

"I did not," Ron argued. "It was a bit strange at first, but you're already like one of the family. And Mum and Dad would be over the moon if you got back together."

"It's not going to happen Ron," Harry said firmly.

"Leave it, Ron," Hermione said. "I'm going to go and order a drink."

"I'll get it," Ron said. "If you promise to go over to Mum and Dad's with me later."

"Ron," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "Okay, but I can't stay long."

Ron leaned over and pecked her on the cheek. "I'll get you your favourite." he said before heading to the bar.

Harry leaned back in his chair and smiled at Hermione. "The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?"

Hermione shook her head. "Sometimes I question my own sanity," she said. "But then Ron can be so... sweet at times..."

"He mentioned he was still trying to get you to move in with him," Harry said.

"That's not happening anytime soon," Hermione replied. "I've got way too much on my plate at the moment."

"Don't work too hard," Harry said grinning at her. "This is the first time I've seen you in a few days, Granger."

"I know, I'm sorry," Hermione smiled at him. "But this case is huge."

"Anything you can talk about?" Harry asked interestedly.

"Well," Hermione said. "It's actually an arson case. The person I'm trying to prosecute tried to burn down an orphanage with several spells and charms."

"I read about that," Harry said shaking his head. "What kind of person would do something like that?"

"A real monster," Hermione replied. "I'm going to do everything I can to make sure they wind up in Azkaban."

"No talking shop tonight," Ron said coming back to the table with Hermione's drink.

"Its fine Ron," Harry said. "She was just filling me in on her latest case."

"The opening statements are tomorrow," Hermione said. "And I really want to get it right."

"Open trial?" Harry asked. "I'd like to see you in action."

"I'm sure they'd let you in," Hermione told him with a smile.

"If you don't mind, I'll stop by," Harry said smiling at her. "For moral support."

"I'd love that," Hermione said. "Thanks Harry."

"I can come too," Ron said hastily, wishing he'd thought of it first.

"If you want to," Hermione took a sip of her drink. "I'd love to have both of you there."

"Great," Ron said raising his glass. "Here's to Hermione having a great day in court and to me becoming the starting keeper for the Cannons!"

"You're the starting keeper now?" Hermione asked in surprise. "Ron when did this happen?"

Ron set his glass down. "Well, not yet, exactly. But that wanker Teague is on the verge of retiring."

"So you're next in line," Hermione finished. "That's fantastic."

Ron grinned. "It is, isn't it?"

"Well if I have a say, which I do," Harry said with a grin. "You'll be starting next season."

"You see?" Ron asked grinning at both of them. "We have everything we've ever wanted. It doesn't get any better than this, does it?"

Harry and Hermione looked at each other. "I suppose not," they both agreed.

"You coming to Mum's with us?" Ron asked Harry. "I promise I won't try and match you and Ginny. Mum's just worried about her lately."

"Why's that?" Harry drained the rest of his beer.

"She'd kind of missed the last few family get togethers," Ron replied with a shrug.

"Probably because she thinks you lot are trying to marry her and Harry off," Hermione commented.

"I think she's just lonely," Ron said. "I mean, you and I are together, and Harry's always got some girl on his arm--"

"I do not!" Harry protested.

"You do," Ron said laughing. "Come on, mate. I don't even bother getting their names now."

"You make me sound like I'm shagging someone else every night." Harry said. "I'm not like that at all."

"Sorry," Ron joked. "Every other night then."

"Ron stop it," Hermione admonished.

"I'm just having a go at him," Ron said putting his arm around Hermione. "I want him to find someone and be as happy as you and me. And as far as he knows, that girl could be right under his nose."

Hermione chose not to respond to Ron's comment. They spent more time fighting than they did anything else.

"Or she could be an ex who is still pining away for him," Ron said with a cheeky grin. "I'm just saying...."

"Sorry to break it to you, mate," Harry said. "But I'm not going to be your brother-in-law."

"Fine," Ron conceded. "But Mum's probably going to try and get you to go out with Gin."

"I bet Ginny hasn't been coming to the family dinners because she's seeing someone else," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Have you ever thought about that?"

"Who would do that?" Ron asked.

"Maybe she's afraid to introduce him to you and your brothers," Hermione said. "Merlin knows what you'd do to the poor man."

"I'd be nice," Ron was offended.

"You'd do the protective older brother thing," Hermione said. "And then Fred and George would play some joke that would embarrass both Ginny and her date."

"They would do that," Ron replied, tightening his arm around her shoulders. "But not me."

"Sure," Hermione teased, resting her head on his shoulder.

Harry shook his head. "I'll stop by in a bit," he said. "I've got to run home and change."

"We like you just the way you are," Ron deadpanned. "No need to change, Harry."

"I look awful," Harry said. "I'll be by soon." he finished his pint and got up.

"Maybe Hermione will still be there when you do," Ron teased his girlfriend.

Hermione's smile froze. "I promised I'd go," she said stiffly.

"For what 10 minutes?" Ron asked. "Don't do me any favours..."

Hermione pulled away and glared at him. "You know, I did tell you that this was going to be a busy week for me--"

Ron stood up. "Go or don't go. Do what you want, Hermione. You always do."

With that, Ron stalked out of the pub.

Hermione sighed and sat back down, rubbing her temples. "It always happens this way..."

Harry sat back down too. "You want another drink?"

"I don't want to keep you," she replied. "We don't both need Ron angry at us."

"You're not keeping me," he said. "He just needs to cool off. Come on. I'll buy."

"All right," Hermione smiled at him. "You always know how to make me feel better Harry."

Harry laughed. "There's been times you've been right cross with me, too."

"Of course," Hermione laughed as well. "But you're easier to forgive."

"Next time you're angry at me, I'll remind you of that," he said. The waitress came over with new drinks for them and Harry smiled at her. "It's been awhile since it was just you and me."

"I know," she answered. "Things are just so crazy these days. I barely have time for Ron."

"We've all been pretty busy," he reassured her. "It's not just you. Don't beat yourself up over it."

"Oh I won't," Hermione replied. "Thanks Harry," she indicated her drink.

"To tell you the truth, I'm not all that ready to go the Burrow," Harry said. "No matter what they say, they'll find some way for Ginny and me to be alone. Molly will be watching from the kitchen and pretending she isn't...."

"What does Ginny think of all this?" Hermione asked. "I mean, has she really showed interest in you?"

"If she has, I'm not aware of it," he said with a shrug. "I mean, we tried to pick back up after the war, but you saw how well that went."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "It was a big bloody mess."

"A little too much drama," Harry said. "Not what I needed."

"I don't think any of us did, especially right after what you went through." Hermione patted his hand. "Harry don't worry- I promise tonight I'll stick by you so they can't shut you up with Ginny."

"That's because you don't want them harping on you about becoming a member of the family," Harry said squeezing her hand. "And Fred and George teasing Ron about making an honest woman out of you."

"That too," Hermione admitted. "We're in the same boat here aren't we?"

"We could just stay here and get pissed," Harry suggested.

"Tempting," Hermione laughed. "That is so very tempting."

"But you have a big day tomorrow," he said.

"Exactly," she said. "And I still have all these books to go through tonight."

"Need any help?" Harry asked. "Not that I know much about this stuff...."

"Thanks but I think I've got it," Hermione smiled at him. "It's nice of you to offer even when Ron won't lift a finger."

"He's trying," Harry aid. "In his own way."

"In his own way," Hermione said sardonically. "Right..."

Harry knew that Hermione and Ron fought more than your average couple, but that was part of their charm. They always found a way to make up, but now he sensed that perhaps it wasn't just another fight.

"You and Ron are okay, right?"

"I guess so," Hermione sat back and toyed with her glass.

"Hermione...."

"We've been fighting a lot," she admitted. "More so lately than ever."

"About moving in together?" Harry asked.

"He wants me to," Hermione said. "But I love my place. And he'd never tolerate the way I keep things. He's a bloody mess- you've seen his flat."

"He's not THAT bad," Harry said knowing this was a lie. Ron's flat looked like a war zone on a good day.

Hermione gave him a look. "Harry..."

"Okay," Harry said. "He is that bad, but he's not really there most of the time. He eats most of his meals at his mum's. And the team's on the road a lot."

"But he still leaves a mess everywhere," Hermione replied. "And I can't put up with that. I'm not home a lot either these days and my patience is very thin with people like him."

"But you love him," Harry said. "You guys are as different as night and day, but somehow it works."

"Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the bother," Hermione said softly.

"I know how you feel," he said nodding. "It was the same for me with Ginny."

"Maybe you should try explaining that to Mrs. Weasley next time she tries to push you two together," Hermione suggested.

"Think she'd listen?" Harry asked.

"I don't know," Hermione said, laughing a little. "She's Mrs. Weasley."

"So, you going to come tonight?" Harry asked. "We could go for an hour tops. And then both of us can beg off. I can say I have a big meeting tomorrow and you have your case."

"Yes I promised I'd go," Hermione finished her drink and collected her books.

"And you will stick by my side?" Harry asked taking the books from her.

"If I don't I promise you can take me back here and get me pissed," Hermione teased.

"Deal," Harry said. "And Ron really was exaggerating. You know I'm not with a different girl every night."

"I know that," Hermione rolled her eyes. "Ron's tales are as tall as he is."

"Good," Harry said smiling at her.

"Come on," she said. "You left a few shirts at my flat- you can change over there."

"I need to take a shower too," Harry said. "If you don't mind..."

"No that's fine," Hermione said, taking half her stack of books. "Gives me a chance to get these organised before we head over to The Burrow."

"I promise I won't make a mess," he joked.

"That's a good boy," Hermione said approvingly.