Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: We certainly had some mixed reviews last chapter and we'd like to take the chance to tell everyone a few things:

1. Veritaserum- we're going by what JKR says about it- that it's not always foolproof, and someone like Harry, at least in our story, could throw it off. And also since Ginny's pregnant, they're not going to make her take it either.

2. We've also noticed that in writing this story that we've tended to lean towards the romance side of things rather than the whole mystery. We hope it won't scare any of our readers off, but the H/Hr is well worth it- some of our favourite bits of writing have gone into this story.

As always- we do appreciate those of you that are honest in your opinions and we also love hearing from people who just want to tell us 'great job'. All comments are read, and very much enjoyed. Thank you!

Boyz II Men - It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday

I thought we'd get to see forever 
But forever's gone away 
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. 
I don't know where this road 
Is going to lead 
All I know is where we've been 
And what we've been through. 
If we get to see tomorrow 
I hope it's worth all the wait 

It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.

All day long, neighbours and friends had stopped by to offer their condolences to the Weasley family. Molly was holed up in her bedroom and had refused to come downstairs. Charlie, Bill and Fleur were trying to hold everything together and coordinate funeral plans.

Ginny wanted to leave, but her mother had asked her to stay. After everything that had happened, Ginny didn't think she could possibly say no. But she ached to see Draco and talk to him about what had happened.

"You want something to eat, Gin?" Charlie asked. "The Turners down the road sent a casserole. It looks pretty good."

"I'm not hungry," Ginny replied quietly.

"How are you holding up?" Charlie asked sitting down beside her.

Ginny shook her head in reply.

"Me either," Charlie said putting an arm around her. "I still can't believe he's gone."

"It's just not fair," Ginny said, hot tears burning in her eyes.

Charlie nodded. "And to think Harry had something to do with this...it just doesn't seem right, Ginny."

Ginny stood up abruptly. "Do you think I'd make this up?" she asked snappishly.

Charlie looked dubiously at her. "Gin, I never said that. It's just a little hard to fathom Harry being capable of this."

"Right," Ginny sank back down. "I'm sorry Charlie."

"It's okay," Charlie said squeezing her hand.

The fire place ignited and they were both shocked to see Percy stumble out.

Fred snorted. "Took you long enough to get here."

"I just found out," Percy said icily. "Where's Mum?"

"She's upstairs," George said. "She doesn't want to be bothered."

Percy nodded and dusted himself off. "What about the funeral?"

"Already taken care of," Charlie said. "Friday at two. Bill, Fleur and I made the arrangements..."

"I have a meeting that day," Percy said with a frown.

"Bloody hell," Fred narrowed his eyes. "Can't your meeting be rescheduled? This is Dad's funeral!"

"I'll see what I can do," Percy said taking a leather bound book from his cloak.

"When was the last time you saw Dad by the way?" Charlie asked.

Percy lifted his nose in the air and turned away without a reply.

"Unbelievable," Charlie said shaking his head.

"I wonder why he even bothered to show up," Fred glowered at Percy's backside.

"Because it would look bad if he hadn't," George said plopping down on the sofa.

The doorbell chimed again and Ron got up to answer it. Luna Lovegood stood on the other side carrying a large basket.

"What are you doing here?" he asked as she peered over the basket at him.

"I thought I'd come over and express my sympathies," Luna said, looking grave. "And Daddy and I thought we'd put together some food for you and your family."

"That was really nice of you and your father," Ron said sincerely taking the basket from her. "Thanks, Luna."

"You're welcome," Luna said. "If there's anything I can do please let me know."

"Would you like to come in?" he asked surprising himself.

"Sure," Luna said with a small smile.

He led her into the kitchen. "We've had a lot of people bringing food by, as you can see."

"How is your mother?" Luna asked sympathetically. "Not too good I can imagine..."

"She won't come downstairs," Ron replied. "We're not really sure of what to say to her."

"Perhaps I can help you fix a plate for her," Luna said. "And you can take it upstairs to her."

"That'd be nice," Ron said smiling at her. He went over to the cabinet to get a plate. "I haven't been able to eat anything since I found out. Can you believe that?"

"I'm sure you're in shock," Luna said in a calm voice. "It's hard for your mind to process much of anything right now."

"Were you like that?" Ron asked gently. "When your mum..."

"Quite so," Luna said softly.

"How long did it take you to get over it?" he asked.

"I never really have," Luna said, looking at him directly.

Ron nodded. "I don't think I ever will, either. I just keep expecting him to walk through the door, you know? To show us some wonky Muggle artefact he found..."

"It'll be that way for a while," Luna laid a hand on his arm. "Eventually it will get easier, but the ache never truly goes away."

"What did you do to help your dad get through it?" Ron asked.

"I was there for him," Luna replied. "And he was there for me. If one of us wanted to talk about Mum, the other would listen."

"It's nice to have someone who knows what this is like," Ron admitted.

"I'll be here for you," Luna volunteered. "Whenever you need to talk."

"Thanks, Luna," Ron said. "I appreciate that."

"You're welcome," she said. "Now let's fix your mum something to eat."

"Right," Ron said. "I think we'll give her some stuff from your basket. I think you've managed to get all her favourites in there."

"Good," Luna said. "I thought I remembered she liked lemon biscuits."

"Loves them," Ron said. "They're my favourites too, actually."

Luna blushed. "I remembered that too."

"Did you make these?" Ron asked picking one up.

"Yes," she answered, arranging some on a plate.

Ron popped one in his mouth. "These are fantastic," he said beaming at her. "Mind you, it is the first real food I've had since yesterday, but still..."

"I'm glad you like them," Luna's face was still a brilliant shade of pink.

"I do," Ron said picking up another one. "Thanks, Luna."

"I'll make them for you more often since you like them," Luna offered.

Ron fixed his eyes on hers and for the longest time just looked at her as if seeing her for the first time.

"What?" she asked, her face flaring red again.

"You, um, you have blue eyes," Ron said quickly. "Like me is all."

She nodded, her hair falling over her shoulders and obscuring her face.

"We should probably make my mum some tea too," Ron said nearly stumbling over his feet as he put the kettle on.

"Good idea," Luna agreed as Ginny came into the kitchen.

"What are you doing here?" Ginny asked.

"She brought over some food for us," Ron said over his shoulder. "Don't touch the lemon biscuits. Those are mine and Mum's."

"It's nice to see you Ginny," Luna said politely. "I'm very sorry about your father."

"Thank you," Ginny said avoiding Luna's gaze. "I was looking for Bill actually."

"He's gone into London," Ron replied. "Something to do with the funeral plans."

"Oh," Ginny said dejectedly.

"He shouldn't be gone long, Gin," Ron said. "You want us to fix you a plate, too? You haven't eaten anything either."

"No," Ginny shook her head.

"Come on," Ron coaxed. "You're eating for two now."

Ginny put her hands to her still flat stomach. "Right..."

"You have a seat and I'll get you a plate," Luna offered .

"Thanks..." Ginny knew she would only be able to pick at anything put in front of her.

Luna quickly got to work preparing a plate for Ginny, trying to remember her old friend's favourites.

Ginny fiddled with her shirt, wishing again that Draco was there to tell her what to say. She kept worrying that she would contradict the story they had come up with.

Luna decided not to mention anything having to do with Harry or the case. Now wasn't the time for this.

"You writing about this for the paper?" Ginny asked when Luna handed her the plate.

Luna shook her head. "I'm not here on a story, Ginny. I just stopped by to offer my condolences."

"Right," Ginny muttered.

"You sure you don't mind coming upstairs with me?" Ron asked Luna.

"If you'd like me to," Luna smiled at him. "I'd be happy to accompany you."

"I would," Ron said picking up the serving tray. "I sometimes have a habit of sticking my foot in my mouth. I don't want to do that with Mum, not now."

"I'm sure she'll appreciate just having you there," Luna said. "Nothing was of more comfort to me than family when I was in this situation."

"I hope so," Ron said smiling at her. "Let's go. Wish us luck, Gin."

Ginny looked at them. "Good luck," she said woodenly.

Ron led the way upstairs to his mother's bedroom. "You mind knocking?" he asked Luna. "My hands are kind of full."

"Sure," Luna said, rapping her hand gently on the door.

"Mum?" Ron called out. "Luna and I have brought you something to eat. Can we come in?"

At first they heard nothing but a few muffled sobs. "Come on Mum, please?" Ron asked. "You need something to eat."

"Come in," Molly managed to choke out.

"Hey," Ron said opening the door. "We've got some lemon biscuits for you, and some herbal tea. Luna made them."

Molly was curled up on the bed, her back to them.

Luna looked encouragingly at Ron and they both walked into the room.

"Mum," Ron said, his voice catching. "Come on... Dad would want you to keep your strength up you know?"

Ron noticed that she was wrapped in his father's old flannel dressing gown. The same robe that she'd always complained about, but that his father had steadfastly refused to throw out.

Luna bit her lower lip as she poured some tea for Molly and Ron perched himself on the edge of the bed.

"People from the village have been stopping by all day," Ron said trying to keep his own emotions in check. He'd never seen his mother like this. "There's enough food in the kitchen to feed us for a month."

"Ronald," Molly's voice shook.

"Yes, Mum?" Ron asked.

"Your father..." Molly choked out. "Is he really gone?"

Tears sprang to Ron's eyes and he nodded. "Aye, Mum. He is..."

"Ronald," Molly looked at her son. "You look so much like him you know..."

"I'm sorry, Mum," Ron said in a low whisper.

Molly started sobbing as she hugged her youngest son to her.

Luna hung back and wiped at her own eyes as her heart broke for the Weasley family.

"Come on," Ron tried to soothe his mother. "Mum let's stay strong okay?"

"I don't know if I can," Molly sobbed clutching at the handkerchief in her hand.

"Try and eat something, Mrs. Weasley," Luna urged. "Just a little something."

"Luna," Molly said noticing her for the first time.

"I'm so sorry Mrs. Weasley," Luna said, her eyes reflecting the older woman's sorrow. "I know it's of little comfort, but these biscuits always made me feel just a little better when I was upset."

"You're a lovely girl Luna," Molly wiped her eyes.

Ron turned around to look at her. "She is pretty great, isn't she?"

Luna blushed again and avoided Ron's eyes as she brought over the tea.

Molly's hands were shaking as she took the cup. "Thank you, Luna."

"You're welcome," Luna touched Molly's shoulder. "If there's anything at all I can do for you, please let me know."

"I appreciate that," Molly said sipping the tea. "How---how is Ginevra?"

"She's all right," Ron answered. "Holding on like the rest of us."

"Look out for her," Molly said pleadingly.

"I will," Ron promised.

"I want her to stay here with us," Molly said. "It's what Arthur would have wanted. And now with the baby..."

"We'll work it out," Ron said. "That baby won't lack for anything."

There was a knock at the door and before anyone could say anything, Percy sauntered inside.

"Mother," Percy said causing Molly to collapse into sobs again. Luna took the tea cup from her and set it on the bedside table.

"Percy not now," Ron said.

"It has to be now," Percy said in a hushed tone. "I have a meeting in an hour. I can't sit around all day and wait..."

Ron stared at him disbelievingly. "You have a MEETING?" his tone was incredulous.

Luna put a hand on Ron's arm. "Let's go out and let them have a moment, Ronald."

"Fine," Ron said. He leaned over to his brother. "Don't you get her started," he whispered furiously.

Luna took Ron's hand and led him out of the room. "I'm sorry," she said softly. "I just thought it wouldn't be good for her to see you two at each other's throats."

"You're right," Ron rubbed the back of his neck. "It's just that Percy makes me mad- he hasn't had anything to do with Mum and Dad for ages and now he just shows up out of the blue."

"Maybe he feels guilty for all the time he missed with his parents," Luna suggested.

"Knowing Percy, it's more a matter of if he's getting any inheritance," Ron said darkly.

"Try not to get into it with him in front of your mum," Luna counselled. "That's the last thing she needs to see."

"I won't," Ron said a bit defensively.

"I know it won't be easy," Luna said. "But just try and think of her when you feel yourself getting angry at Percy."

"I'll try," Ron said.

"You were great with her, you know," Luna said admiringly.

"I was?" Ron asked, pleased.

Luna smiled at him. "You really were, Ronald. She's lucky to have you."

"Thanks," Ron sent her a bashful sort of grin.

"Can I help with anything else?" Luna asked.

"I'm just glad you're here," Ron said sincerely. "More than I can say for my traitorous ex girlfriend and Potter."

The smile on Luna's face faltered a bit. She'd hoped to avoid all talk about Harry and Hermione.

"He killed my father," Ron said, his face hardening. "And whatever happens, he's going to pay for it."

"What if he didn't do it?" Luna asked.

"Of course he did it," Ron pulled away from her. "He was bloody seen going into my father's office!"

"Don't be angry, Ronald," Luna said gently. "Now isn't the time to talk about this. Let's just go downstairs and have some tea."

"You're on their side aren't you?" Ron glared at her. "You probably came over here thinking you could soften me up!"

Luna vehemently shook her head. "I wouldn't do that, Ronald."

"My arse," Ron stomped down the stairs, wanting to put some distance between him and the blonde.

"Ronald, I didn't come here on any pretence," she said following him. "And believe it or not, I am on your side. I know what it's like to lose someone you care about!"

"I'm sure you do, but you've always preferred Harry over me," Ron spat, turning around.

"That's not true," she argued. "And you know it!"

"Do I?" Ron snapped.

"Where am I?" Luna asked him. "I'm with you right now. I'm with you because I thought you could use a friend right about now."

Ron saw the sincerity in her eyes and calmed down. "I'm sorry," he muttered.

"It's okay," she said quietly.

"I'm sorry," he apologised again. "You're right. I need a friend and you're here. I shouldn't have snapped at you like that."

"Just don't do it again," Luna said smiling at him.

"I won't," Ron said. "I appreciate this- you being here."

"That's what friends are for," she said thoughtfully. "Now, how about we get some more food in you? And then you might want to take a kip. It'll make you feel better, Ronald."

"You think so?" he asked.

"I do," Luna said pushing on his shoulders. "Lovegood's orders."

"Thanks Luna," he said. "It's hard holding it together, but you're making things a bit easier."

"I'm not so bad when you give me chance," she said softly.

He nodded. "You'll come around more?"

"You'd want that?" she asked hopefully.

"Yeah," Ron said, realising he meant it. "I'd like you to be here."

"Then I'll be here," she said squeezing his hand.

*** *** ***

Hermione headed into the office the next morning with a large travel mug of coffee in her hand. She'd been up most of the previous night making a list of people who could vouch for Harry's whereabouts and also thinking of ways to trip up Ginny so that she would admit the truth and not the fabrication she'd been telling everyone.

Walking into the office, she was surprised to see that the room was practically empty save for the receptionist, Patti.

"Morning, Hermione," Patti said brightly. "You should get to the conference room immediately. Big meeting for the entire staff."

"About what?" Hermione asked a sinking feeling in her stomach.

"Harry Potter, of course," Patti replied. "Apparently, he wants you, Jacob, Pierce and Tim working on this one."

Hermione sighed and headed for the inner office, bracing herself for what she was sure would be a rather tense few minutes.

"Glad you could finally join us Granger," her boss Ken McDonald said with a grin as she walked into the room. "Ladies and gentlemen, you are looking at our secret weapon in this case..."

"I can't work on this case," Hermione blurted out.

Ken laughed. "Of course you can, Hermione. You are one of the closest people in the world to Harry Potter. I can't imagine anyone else heading up this case."

"That's exactly it," Hermione said. "I'm defending him."

"Nonsense," Ken said picking up some papers and handing them to her. "You should get acquainted with these witnesses. Most of them worked in Arthur Weasley's office."

"No," Hermione stepped back. "I'm his defence lawyer Ken. He's been my best friend since I was eleven years old and I'm not about to prosecute him, much less prosecute him for something he didn't do."

"What are you saying?" Ken asked her narrowing his eyes. "You are a barrister for this department, Hermione. You are not a defence attorney. I think your friend should find someone who specialises in defence if he wants to get out of this."

"I know both sides of the law Ken," Hermione drew herself to her full height and glared back. "And I'm going to defend him."

"You do and you'll never work in this office again," Ken threatened.

Hermione nodded. "All right." she said simply. "It's been good working with you all. I'll have my office cleared in an hour."

"You're going to regret this," Ken said. "You mark my words on this, Hermione!"

"No Ken, I don't think I will," Hermione looked at him directly. "Harry means more to me than any job does. And you'll see this when I prove that he's innocent."

Jacob followed her out of the room. "Hermione, are you mad! This is career suicide!"

"Jacob I don't need to hear it," Hermione held up a hand.

"You can go back in there and apologise," Jacob said quickly. "You're not really going to give up your career for this, are you?"

"I'm not giving up my career," Hermione said, starting to pack up her personal things. "I was going to ask for a leave of absence but Ken's not seeing things the same way I am."

"He just sacked you, Hermione!" Jacob reminded her. "He won't take you back after this."

"Then I'll find another job," Hermione replied. "It's not the end of the world Jacob. I'm a good lawyer and I can prove that without Ken's backing."

Jacob silently watched her pack away her belongings.

"Good luck, Hermione," Jacob finally said. "I think you're going to need it."

"Thank you," Hermione said. "You were always one of my favourite people to work with you know."

"I'm rubbish without you," Jacob said giving her a hug.

"You'll do just fine," Hermione said. "And if I wind up facing you in court... let's not let it get personal okay?"

"Deal," Jacob said grinning at her. "Need any help with the boxes?"

"I've got them," Hermione shook her head. "You'd better get back before Ken thinks you're fraternizing with the enemy."

"Right," Jacob said nodding. "You do know they're keeping Potter here until the trial, right? Apparently, your friend Lupin pulled some strings."

"I know," Hermione nodded. "I'm going up to see him now."

"See you in court," Jacob said before leaving her office.

"See you," Hermione echoed softly before closing her eyes a moment. She had suspected something like this might happen although she had hoped it wouldn't come down to having to leave her job.

Harry hadn't had a very good night. He kept hearing Ron's words in his head and he could only imagine how the other Weasleys were thinking. He'd slept on and off last night and the only happy thoughts he'd had were of Hermione.

He could hear her voice down at the end of the corridor and sat up, expecting to see her in front of his cell.

"You can wait in the conference room there," the guard told her curtly. "I'll have Potter in there in a moment."

"His name is Harry," Hermione said sharply. "You'd do well to remember that."

The guard rolled his eyes and turned away from Hermione. A few minutes later, he led Harry into the room.

"You have an hour," the guard reminded them.

"We know," Hermione glared at him as he left the room. Once he was gone she rushed towards Harry and hugged him hard.

"You are a sight for sore eyes," he said hugging her back.

"How are you?" she asked. "Stupid question I know, but did you sleep all right? Are they at least treating you somewhat civilly? If they're not, tell me because they can't abuse you in here."

"They're treating me fine," he said cupping her face in his hands. "And I slept as well as I could. How about you? How are you holding up?"

"I'm all right," she said with a rueful smile. "Lost my job, but I had a feeling that would happen."

"Lost your job?" Harry asked. "Because of me?"

"They wanted me on the prosecution side," she said, looking down. "I could never do that."

"So they sacked you?" Harry asked incredulously. He shook his head. "You can't do this, Hermione. I'm not going to ask you to defend me so you can lose your job..."

"You aren't asking me," Hermione said firmly. "And it's already over and done with. I'm defending you and that's all there is to it."

"Hermione," Harry said softly.

"Don't argue with me," she whispered.

"I just can't believe you'd do all this for me," he said touching her cheek. "I love you so much..."

"Harry," she said, tears in her eyes.

"I do," he whispered. "I've wanted to tell you that for so long."

"I feel the same way," she said hoarsely. "I love you. That's why I have to prove to everyone that you're innocent."

"You always believe in me," Harry said again cupping her face in his hands. "You're the only one who always has."

She kissed him. "You can't lie to me Harry."

"Never to you," he agreed pulling her into his lap. "When you get me out of this..."

"Harry wait," she said before he could kiss her again. "I want to be with you, you know this. But right now we have to concentrate on the task at hand."

"Right," he said reluctantly pulling away.

"It's going to be hard but this is what we have to do," Hermione reached for his hand.

"So how bad is it?" he asked.

"I wasn't able to get any information but my firm is heading up the prosecution," Hermione set her case down. "Well, my ex firm that is."

"What about Ginny?" Harry asked. "Do you know what's going on with her?"

"Just that she's still sticking to her story- that you got her pregnant, and you wouldn't own up to it when you went to tell Arthur." Hermione reached for her quill. "And that you told her you'd take care of all the problems." she shook her head. "That story alone sounds fishy."

"I don't understand why she'd do this," Harry said shaking his head. "Unless..."

"Unless what?" Hermione forced herself to go into professional mode.

"Do you remember that night that you and I were at the Burrow with Ron?" Harry asked. "The night you and Ron broke things off?"

"Of course I remember it," Hermione replied.

"She told me something that night," Harry said. "She saw you and me that night at Grimmauld Place."

"She did?" Hermione asked. "Why didn't she ever say anything?"

"I don't know," Harry said thoughtfully. "I was going to ask her, but Ron came back into the kitchen."

"I'll have to talk to her before we go to trial," Hermione marked some notes on her parchment. "So I'll try and bring this up in a roundabout way. Maybe she's jealous and wants to pay you back or something."

"Maybe," Harry said sitting back in his chair and watching as Hermione furiously scribbled notes.

"All right," Hermione said. "I also made a list of people who can perhaps verify you were in your office the day of the... of the um... murder."

"I still can't believe he's actually gone, Hermione," Harry said quietly.

"I can't either," Hermione set her quill down for a moment. "I don't want to believe it."

"Have you gone to see them?" Harry asked. "To see how they're doing?"

"Not yet," Hermione said. "I thought I might try and stop by there later, if Ron will see me that is."

"I saw him last night after you left," Harry told her.

"I know," she answered.

"How did you know?" he asked.

"I was out there when he came in," Hermione said. "Lupin had to restrain him and calm him down before they'd allow him to see you."

"He's never looked at me like that, Hermione," Harry said. "It was like he didn't even know me..."

"He's understandably upset," Hermione replied.

"I know," Harry said pushing back in his chair. "I didn't do this, Hermione. I couldn't have. I wouldn't have!"

"I know you wouldn't," Hermione said in a soothing tone. "And deep down, I think Ron knows this too."

"I'm not so sure," Harry said quietly.

"The Weasleys probably aren't going to be very understanding right now," Hermione said. "You have to realise this Harry. This is a huge shock for them."

Harry nodded. "And they're probably going to be upset when they find out you're defending me."

"It might be stepping on some toes, sure, but there's nothing they can do about that. Nothing WE can do about that." Hermione picked up her quill again. "All right, what I really need for you to do is tell me everything you remember about that day."

Harry sat back down again and tried to recall everything he'd done that day.

"I woke up around seven," Harry began. "The team was having a morning practise and they were already on the pitch by the time I arrived. I wanted to avoid Ron so I didn't come in the pitch entrance."

"All right," Hermione said.

"Karen wasn't in yet," Harry said. "I did see Teague on my way in though. He was running late as usual."

"Well, we do know it happened in the afternoon," Hermione said. "Can anyone verify you were there in the office then?"

Harry shook his head. "I didn't come out of the office until after everyone had left. I was up to my eyeballs in reports, Hermione."

"But no one came in at all?" she asked. "No one owled you and you didn't talk to anyone else? Not even your secretary?"

Harry thought about this for a moment. "No, I did ring the restaurant we went to at around two in the afternoon. I wanted to confirm our reservation."

"Okay," Hermione wrote that down. "That proves you were at least near a phone."

"But it's not much, is it?" Harry asked morosely.

"No," Hermione said, biting her lower lip. "But it's something to go on at least."

They spent the rest of their hour together going over everything he'd done that day. Harry could tell he hadn't given Hermione anything that would help his case. The guard knocked on the door.

"Time's up," he said firmly.

"I'll come back this afternoon once I've learned more," Hermione said, ignoring the guard. "Even though I'm not working for Ken anymore they have to give me information on what they've found out."

"Right," Harry said nodding. He looked at the guard. "Can we have just a moment to say goodbye, please?"

"Fraid not," the guard smirked.

"Oh it's not like I'm going to bust him out," Hermione snapped.

"Time's up, Miss Granger," the guard said folding his arms. "Potter needs to be back in his cell."

"I'll see you later," Hermione put a hand on his arm. "Take care of yourself Harry." her eyes conveyed what she couldn't say aloud.

"Right," Harry said. He mouthed the words "I love you" to her.

"Love you," she mouthed back as the guard led Harry from the room.

*** *** ***

Hermione stared apprehensively at the front door of the Burrow. It was a place that had always felt like a second home to her and now she wasn't quite sure if she was welcome in there or not. Taking a deep breath, she pushed the front door open and stepped inside.

"Hello, Hermione," Charlie said as he came down the stairs. "It's nice of you to stop by."

"Hi Charlie," Hermione said, stepping forward to give him a hug. "I am so sorry."

"It's been hard," Charlie said hugging her back. "But everyone's been great."

"Please let me know if there's anything I can do," Hermione offered.

"Ron's upstairs with mum," Charlie said. "Do you want me to get him for you?"

"Let him stay with your mum," Hermione shook her head. "I came by to see everyone."

"Gin's in the kitchen," Charlie said. "Come on. You can help us eat some of the food everyone's been bringing by."

"Sure," Hermione said softly, following him down the hall.

Charlie sighed when he saw his sister hadn't touched any of the food on her plate. "Gin, you promised me you were going to try and eat something. You know that isn't good for you or the baby."

"Hi Ginny," Hermione decided to keep a level head around the younger woman.

"Hello," Ginny said barely looking up from her plate. She was using her fork to move the bits of food around.

"I'm sorry about your father," Hermione said politely. "How are you holding up?"

"I want to go back to my flat," Ginny said quietly.

"Mum needs us here, Ginny," Charlie said gently. "And it's not good for you to be by yourself now."

"I just want to be by myself," Ginny snapped.

"Ginny," Charlie said putting his hand on her arm, but she shrugged him off. "Okay. I'm going to run by the Ministry and pick up some of dad's belongings. The Aurors said it would be okay since they've already searched the place. Are you going to be okay on your own?"

"I'm not a baby," Ginny glared at her older brother. "And I'm pregnant, not an invalid."

"No one said you were, Ginny," Charlie said quickly. "Look, I'll be back in about an hour. Try and eat something."

Charlie disapparated and for the longest time neither Hermione nor Ginny spoke.

"Charlie was only trying to help," Hermione finally said. "He's concerned about you."

"It's none of your business Hermione," Ginny said flatly.

Hermione couldn't imagine what this was like for Ginny or any of the Weasleys so she decided to not take this comment personally.

"I would have been by sooner," she said apologetically. "How is your mum holding up?"

Ginny snorted. "How do you think she's doing? The man she's thought of as a son killed her husband."

"Ginny..." Hermione started to say.

"I know you're going to tell me he didn't do it," Ginny interrupted.

"I know he didn't do it," Hermione said firmly. "He would never do that."

"He all but told me he was going to," Ginny lied, hoping Hermione would think the blush staining her cheeks was from the current situation rather than guilt. "I asked him to meet me because I had to tell my father something. When I told Daddy I was pregnant with Harry's child, Harry went crazy and said it wasn't true, and he wouldn't take responsibility for anything like that. Daddy threatened to take him to court and after we left, he went back and killed him." her eyes blazed with unshed tears.

"Ginny, you and Harry broke up years ago," Hermione said quietly.

"It only takes one night Hermione," Ginny snapped back. "You of all people should know about what one night can do."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Hermione asked.

Ginny rolled her eyes and looked away. "Nothing," she muttered.

"I know you saw Harry and me that night," Hermione said choosing her words carefully.

"What of it?" Ginny stood up and went over to the sink, dumping her untouched food down the drain.

"It was just a kiss," Hermione said wishing Ginny would look at her. "That was all that happened that night. I thought I'd never see him again."

"You're in love with him," Ginny accused. "And you've strung Ron along for years."

"I didn't string Ron along," Hermione said defensively. "I didn't come here to talk about this, Ginny. I came here to see how you were doing."

"As if you really care," Ginny said. "You're just here to save face Hermione. We all know you're on Harry's side."

"I do care," Hermione said hotly. "I know you're upset and you're grieving, but you have to know that Harry wouldn't and couldn't have done this, Ginny. He loves your family."

"I don't need your pity," Ginny said haughtily.

"It's not pity," Hermione said. "It's concern. Harry didn't do this and he isn't the father of your baby, Ginny."

"Well then Ms. Brain," Ginny said coldly. "Why don't you tell me who is if you're so bloody smart?"

"That's what I am trying to find out," Hermione said trying very hard to keep her own emotions in check. "I'm Harry's attorney, Ginny."

Ginny stared at her in disbelief. "You're defending him in court too?"

Hermione nodded. "And I have some questions for you. I know this is a tough time, but..."

"I'm not answering anything for you." Ginny said coldly.

"You were one of the last people to see your father alive," Hermione said. "And you will have to cooperate with the investigation, Ginny. If this isn't a good time, I can come back later."

"It'll never be a good time for you to ask me about this Hermione," Ginny said angrily.

"Don't you want to find out who really did this?" Hermione asked her. "I'm going to get to the bottom of this, Ginny."

"I know who really did it," Ginny said, frustrated tears in her eyes. "Why don't you just admit that you're wrong?"

"I'm not wrong about this," Hermione said loyally. "I believe Harry, Ginny."

Ginny sneered at her. "You always did. Over anyone else."

Hermione sighed. "I know him."

"I'm the one who dated him," Ginny said in a cutting tone. "I know him better."

Hermione stared at her. She wasn't seriously turning this into a competition, was she?

"You dated him for what---five minutes?" Hermione asked before she could stop herself.

"Jealous much?" Ginny asked smugly.

"I could say the same about you," Hermione said coldly.

Ginny snorted. "Whatever Hermione. I don't even know why you're here- are you trying to probe for facts that Harry's innocent? You're the enemy now."

Hermione sighed. "I'll be back, Ginny. I hope you'll have answers for me."

She grabbed her cloak from the staircase and was nearly to the door when she heard footsteps.

"What are you doing here?" Ron asked. Luna was standing behind him.

"Ron," Hermione said. "I um... I came to tell your family how sorry I am about Arthur."

"Don't listen to her Ron," Ginny said joining Hermione at the foot of the stairs. "She's Harry's lawyer. She doesn't care about how we're doing."

"You're what?" Ron stared at her. "You're defending Harry?"

"I was going to tell you," Hermione said quietly.

"When?" Ron demanded furiously. "While you were running out the bloody door?"

"I wasn't going to disturb you," Hermione responded. "Charlie told me you were upstairs with your mum."

"Right," Ron said coolly.

"I was going to tell you, Ron," Hermione said wishing Ginny would go back to the kitchen. The red-haired woman's smug look wasn't making this any easier.

"Were you going to let me wait until we all walked into the courtroom and I saw you sitting beside him?" Ron snapped as Luna placed a hand on his arm to try and calm him down.

"Of course not!" Hermione replied weakly. "Ron, I think we need to talk."

Ron stared at her for a moment. "Fine," he said shortly.

"Alone," Hermione said looking pointedly at Ginny.

"We'll go out back," Ron looked at Luna. "You don't have to leave yet do you?"

Luna shook her head. "I'll just use the fireplace to check in with the office."

"I'm going upstairs for a kip," Ginny said. "I'm knackered."

Hermione followed Ron out to the backyard and she waited for him to break the ice.

"Just when I think you can't sink any lower, you surprise me," Ron finally said rounding on her.

"Because I'm Harry's defence?" she shook her head. "For Merlin's sake Ron, this is HARRY we're talking about!"

"He killed my father," Ron said glaring at her. "You might be able to just sweep that under the rug, but it's not that easy for me."

"I don't think he did kill your father," Hermione argued. "Ron I'm not doing this to hurt you all right? I care about you, I really do. I hate that this has all happened. But us fighting won't help matters, and it's certainly not going to change anything."

"If you do this, I'll never speak to you again," Ron threatened. "I mean it, Hermione."

Hermione pressed her lips together. "I'm sorry you feel that way," she said.

"He's playing you," Ron said stepping closer to her. "For someone so smart, I can't believe you can't see it."

"How could you say this about your best friend?" Hermione asked in disbelief. "About someone you thought of as a brother all these years?"

"Because he killed my father!" Ron shouted.

"No he didn't!" Hermione yelled back.

Ron stepped away from her and tried to collect his thoughts. He ran his hands through his hair in frustration. "You really going to do this, Hermione? Give up everything for him? He doesn't love you. He only wants you because you were mine. And he knows he doesn't have a chance to get out of this unless he has you..."

"Ron I believe him," Hermione said quietly. "This has nothing to do with love; it just has everything to do with friendship and trust."

"So you're not in love with him?" Ron asked staring at her. "Don't lie, Hermione. You're crap at it."

"Don't start with this," Hermione said. "You're angry and I understand that. But I also need you to understand why I'm doing this."

"Enlighten me," Ron said folding his arms.

"I've told you!" Hermione exclaimed. "I'm doing this because I believe he's innocent. I don't think Harry had anything to do with this. I think someone else killed your father and I'm going to find out who it is!"

"Then you and I are done," Ron said quietly, walking past her and into the house.

Hermione sighed and rubbed her temples with her fingers. She stayed outside for a few more moments before Apparating back to her flat.

*** *** ***