Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Thanks again you guys for all your support in this story- Luna's finally starting to piece together more and you get a LOAD of H/Hr in this chapter. Please enjoy and don't forget to let us know what you think!

(No song yet- but we might update later with one!)

Luna was hard at work in her corner office at the Quibbler a few days after her night at the Burrow where she'd confessed her feelings. Things had been slightly tense between her and Ron at first but now they seemed to be a little closer than before.

She was looking through old records of Wizarding London to see if there was any mention of a Christopher Murphy but so far her search had turned up nothing. She put the ledger book aside and leaned back in her chair, closing her eyes.

The mobile phone she'd bought a few days back began to ring and Luna nearly jumped out of her seat. She'd been waiting for this phone call. Hastily, she picked up the phone and made her way to the supply closet. After casting a silencing charm on the room, she answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Luna?" a familiar female voice came over the line.

"Are you both okay?" Luna asked.

"We're all right," Hermione answered. "How's... everything over there?"

"Complete and utter chaos," Luna replied. "Lupin was put in charge of the investigation."

"He was?" Hermione asked, feeling dismayed.

"Against his will," Luna told her. "The Ministry has put out a big reward for your capture, too. Tips have been coming in from all over the country."

"Little do they know," Hermione said wryly.

"Right after you disappeared," Luna confided. "I saw Ginny speaking with bloke in the courtroom. She tried to blow it off..."

"She's tried to blow everything off," Hermione interrupted. "Do you think she knows something we don't?"

"I do," Luna said. "Like who the real father of her baby is."

"It's not Harry," Hermione shot a look at the closed bathroom door, where Harry was taking a shower. "He swore that he's never slept with her."

"I'm thinking of breaking into her flat and seeing what I can dig up," Luna told her. "She's staying at the Burrow, but right after the verdict, she went home and no one heard or saw her...."

"Seems like she's hiding something to me," Hermione thought of the redhead who had once been a close friend.

"I think Ron might be coming around," Luna confided. "He's suspicious of her."

"Is there anything we can do from over here?" Hermione asked. "Harry and I have both found jobs so we have money."

"Just stay safe," Luna said. "I'm working as hard as I can and I'm thinking of asking Neville to help. He's really worried about both of you."

"I wish you could tell him where we are," Hermione twisted the phone cord around her finger. "And Lupin as well... but I know we can't."

"How's Harry doing?" Luna asked. "Was he mad?"

"He's upset of course," Hermione replied. "But he wants to clear this up too."

"And...how are the two of you?" Luna asked.

"We're posing as a married couple," Hermione answered. "The hotel we're working at believes we're Jack and Laura Edwards."

Luna smiled. "I always knew you two would get married someday."

"We're not really married," Hermione said, blushing.

"I know," Luna said. "But I've seen how the two of you are around each other. Even when we were at school."

"That feels so long ago now," Hermione heard the shower turn off. "Listen I've got to go, but I'll be in touch soon all right? You can call us here if you need to get a hold of us for any reason." she gave Luna the number of the hotel and their room number.

"Bye," Luna said but Hermione had already hung up the phone.

"Morning," Harry smiled at her. "I didn't know you were up."

"Well, we have to be at the B & B soon," Hermione replied. She blushed when she realised he was wearing only a towel and his hair was still wet from the shower.

"You don't have to get there this early you know," Harry said, not noticing her reaction to his attire.

"Um, well it's a good idea to be there early," she said busying herself with making the bed. "We want to make a good impression..."

"Sure," Harry said. "It's not a bad job you know?"

"I think so towel," Hermione replied. Her eyes grew wide as she realised what she'd said. "I mean too....man, I should really get into the shower..."

Harry watched as she scurried into the bathroom. He wasn't exactly sure why she was being so skittish around him these days.

Meanwhile Luna closed up her office early and left, thinking she'd go over to the Weasleys and see if there was anything she could do for Molly.

She Apparated just outside of the Burrow and knocked on the door. Ron was supposed to rejoin his team, so she knew he wouldn't be home.

She was surprised however to see Ginny answer the door. "Hi," Luna said cautiously.

"Ron's not here," Ginny said. "But I'll tell him you came by..."

She started to close the door, but Luna stuck her arm out.

"I came over to see if I could help your mum out with anything," Luna pushed the door back open. "I know Ronald isn't here."

"Charlie took my mum to see our Great Aunt Tessie," Ginny said. "George and Fred are back at the shop and Bill took Fleur to the healer's. I'm the only one home.."

"Well is there anything you need help with?" Luna offered, thinking this might be a great time to get Ginny to open up about anything.

"Not really," Ginny said. What she needed, Luna Lovegood couldn't give her.

"You look like you could use something to eat," Luna stepped inside.

"Um, sure," Ginny said forcing a smile. "That'd be great."

"I'm a pretty good cook," Luna said. "What would you like?"

"A turkey and cheese sandwich would be nice," Ginny replied. "If it wouldn't be too much trouble..."

"Sure," Luna headed for the icebox. "We have to keep your baby well fed."

Ginny absently touched her stomach. "I'm just starting to show."

Luna nodded. "What do you think it is?"

"I think it's a little girl," Ginny replied a genuine smile coming across her features.

"She'll probably look more like you than the father," Luna chose her words carefully.

"I hope so," Ginny said softly.

"Have your friends been over to help you through all this?" Luna asked as she made Ginny's sandwich. "Like that friend of yours who was at the funeral? Or the one in court?"

"They weren't friends," Ginny said hastily. "Just acquaintances, really."

"But it was awfully supportive of them to show up for you," Luna pressed.

"Yes it was," Ginny said with a shrug. She sat down at the kitchen table.

"Did they go to school with us?" Luna asked casually.

"Who?" Ginny asked distractedly.

"What did you say his name was- Christopher Murphy?" Luna kept her reporter's wits and hoped Ginny would take the bait.

"Yes," Ginny said glaring at her. "What difference does it make, Luna?"

"I'm just curious is all," Luna replied.

Ginny looked at her. "You know what they say about curiosity..."

"Killed the cat?" Luna finished. "I've always thought of myself as more like a Kneazle."

Ginny smiled. "Really?"

"Oh yes," Luna nodded.

"You've been really nice to my family," Ginny commented.

"I care about your family," Luna replied.

"My family or one member of it in particular," Ginny said levelling a gaze at Luna.

"I suppose it's not a secret that I fancy Ron," Luna kept her voice calm. "But I care about your whole family Ginny."

"Even me?" Ginny asked her.

"Sure," Luna handed her the sandwich. "We were really close at one point."

"Thanks," Ginny said. "This looks great."

Luna nodded as she sat down. "Ron told me you didn't want to come back here after the trial," she said.

"Too many memories," Ginny said softly.

"But it's your family," Luna replied. "When my mum died, I wanted to be around my dad all the time"

"People handle grief in different ways," Ginny replied before taking a bite of the sandwich.

"I suppose you're right," Luna tried to think of another way to bring up the two men Ginny seemed to know.

"Things haven't gone the way I planned," Ginny said wistfully. "I never dreamed I'd find myself in this position."

"Pregnant and alone?" Luna asked.

"I'm not alone!" Ginny said angrily.

"Of course not," Luna amended. "You've got your family..."

"I do," Ginny said thinking of Draco and their unborn child. "He's going to take care of us."

"Who?" Luna asked.

"What?" Ginny asked breaking out of her reverie.

"You said 'he' was going to take care of you..." Luna looked quizzically at her.

"I-I meant my father," Ginny recovered. "He's going to be watching out for us."

"I see," Luna nodded, knowing Ginny had just slipped up in a big way.

"So, have you heard anything on Harry and Hermione?" Ginny asked eager to change the subject.

"No," it was Luna's turn to hide something now. "I wish I knew if they were okay."

"He killed my father, Luna," Ginny said angrily.

"I don't believe he did," Luna said calmly. "I'm sorry, but I can't picture Harry as a killer."

"Suddenly, I'm not so hungry anymore," Ginny said pushing the plate away. "I'm going upstairs for a kip."

Luna watched her go, then quickly cleaned up and left. She had to figure out exactly who the 'he' was in Ginny's life.

*** *** ***

It had been almost three weeks since Harry and Hermione had come to New Orleans and they were slowly settling into their life there. Luna was sending them Wizarding newspapers daily so they could stay informed on what was happening overseas and they talked to her a couple of times a week.

"I'm so glad we both have the day off," Harry said to Hermione as they lay in bed together. "I like working there but sometimes it's nice to not have anything to do."

"I wish it wasn't raining though," Hermione said sleepily.

"We should be used to that," Harry joked as he stretched. "Living our whole lives in England and all."

"I know," Hermione said. "But we've been spoiled with wonderful, warm weather ever since we came here. This is the first bad weather day."

"The first in three weeks," Harry pointed out as Hermione moved closer to him. He kissed the top of her head and wrapped his arms around her.

Hermione felt something pressing into her stomach and she stifled a laugh. "That because of me?"

"Sod off," Harry said.

Hermione tickled his side. "How about I order us some breakfast instead?"

"Least you could do," he teased.

Hermione rolled over and pulled back the covers. "What do you feel like today? Blueberry pancakes?"

"Sure," Harry agreed. "And some eggs."

Hermione picked up the phone to place their order while Harry picked through the package Luna had sent them yesterday afternoon. Harry groaned when he saw The Daily Prophet's Headline.

"Hermione?"

Hermione hung up the phone. "Should be here in about twenty minutes. What---what is it?"

Harry held up the paper. "Granger's Parents Worried Sick about Daughter", the headline read.

"Oh no," Hermione said quietly.

"This is what I was afraid of," Harry said.

Hermione sat down and read the article aloud.

"Miss Granger's Muggle parents haven not been able to work or do much of anything else since their daughter's mysterious disappearance nearly a month ago."

"Hermione you told me you wrote to your parents and told them you were fine," Harry crossed his arms.

Hermione looked up at him. "You know they're probably watching my parents, Harry. I couldn't take the chance..."

"Send it through the Muggle post," Harry said.

"They'd see the postmark," Hermione said. "Harry, we can't risk it. Don't you think I hate making my parents worry? But there's no way around this."

"I don't like this," Harry said. "We're hurting so many people Hermione."

"We'll make it up to them when we go home," Hermione said. "And we will be going home and you'll be vindicated."

Harry sighed. "I'm going to take a shower." he replied.

Hermione nodded wordlessly and went back to reading the article. There was a photograph of her parents' home staked out by reporters and photographers. Her eyes then fell on the telephone by the bed. Perhaps, it wouldn't be such a bad idea to ring them and let them know that she was okay.

She picked up the phone and prayed that no one could put a trace on the number and figure out where they were.

Her hands were shaking as she dialled the number. After a few rings, she heard her mother's familiar voice on the other end of the line.

"Mum?" Hermione said hesitantly. "It's me."

"Hermione!" Mrs. Granger nearly sobbed in relief.

"I'm okay," Hermione said softly. "We both are."

"Hermione they're saying you ran away with Harry Potter," Mrs. Granger said shakily.

Hermione twisted the phone cord around her finger. "I did, Mum. I couldn't let him go to prison."

"But he's a convicted murderer!" her mother said. "Hermione your father and I are so worried about you!"

"Mum!" Hermione exclaimed. "You've known Harry for years. You know he would never do something like that!"

"We want you to come home," her mother pleaded. "Please come home Hermione."

"Not until Harry's name is cleared," Hermione said defiantly. "And you really don't need to worry about me, Mum. I'm fine."

"Hermione--" Mrs. Granger began.

"We're looking out for each other," Hermione said. "I just wanted you to know that I was okay. And not to worry. And please, please don't tell anyone other than Daddy that you spoke to me, okay?"

Her mother paused. "Your Ministry came by looking for you both."

"And what did you tell them?" Hermione asked apprehensively.

"That we hadn't heard from you of course!" Mrs. Granger exclaimed.

"Promise me you won't tell them anything, Mum," Hermione said urgently. When her mother didn't answer straightaway, Hermione sighed. "Please."

"All right," Mrs. Granger said reluctantly.

"Thank you," Hermione said. "Tell Daddy that I love him, okay? And not to worry."

"I'll worry until you're home," her mother said.

"I love you, Mum," Hermione choked out before reluctantly hanging up the phone.

Harry chose that moment to come back out of the bathroom, rubbing his inky black hair with a towel. "What's wrong?" he noticed the tears in her eyes.

"Nothing," she said rubbing at her eyes. She didn't want him to know she'd been crying.

"Hermione," he said sitting down next to her.

"Where's that breakfast?" Hermione asked standing up and walking over to the window.

"Don't avoid this," He stood behind her. "I know you too well and you're upset about something. Did you find something in those articles?"

"I called home," Hermione said quietly.

"You talked to your parents?" he put his hands on her shoulders.

Hermione nodded and leaned against him. "Just my mum. She's worried about me..."

Harry hugged her. "Hermione I want you to go back," he nearly choked on his words. "Just tell them I kidnapped you or something--"

Hermione pulled away. "No----no way."

"I can't have you doing this to the people you care about!" Harry exclaimed.

"I care about you too," she said grabbing his arm. "I love you."

"I love you too," he said, his eyes searching her face. "But I know you hate this- you're living far beneath your means Hermione. I'm the one on the run, not you."

She shook her head. "We're in this together, remember? I saw you that first night we were here..."

"What?"

"I saw you," Hermione said. "You thought I was asleep and you got out of bed and you stood at the door for the longest time. You were going to leave, weren't you?" "

Harry looked away. "I thought about it," he muttered.

"Why did you stay?" Hermione asked standing behind him. "Tell me."

"Because," Harry replied. "I love you Hermione. And I can't leave you."

"And you expect me to leave you even though I feel the exact same way?" Hermione asked. "No way, Harry."

He sighed. "I just don't want you to regret this," he touched her cheek.

"I don't," she said smiling at him. "I won't."

Harry looked at her for a moment before leaning in and kissing her.

Hermione wound her arms around his neck. "So..."

"So..." Harry replied, forgetting that he was only clad in a towel.

They stared at each other for the longest time, neither sure of what move to make next. Hermione could hear her heart beating in her chest. Hesitantly, she put a hand on the towel.

A loud knock on the door startled them both.

"Room service," a cheery voice called out.

"Damn it," Harry muttered angrily.

"Perhaps you should---" Hermione stammered. "I'll get the door."

"Right," Harry went and grabbed some jeans and went into the bathroom.

"Good morning, Mrs. Edwards," Rudy, the bellman said as he wheeled the breakfast cart into their room. "You and Jack don't have to work today?"

"No," Hermione replied. "So we thought we'd have a decent breakfast for a change."

"Can't fault you for that," he said warmly. "Awful day outside."

"That it is," Hermione paid him, giving the man a good tip. "Thank you as always."

"Thanks, Mrs. Edwards," Rudy said. "Ya'll have a good day."

"You too," Hermione closed the door behind him.

"Something smells great," Harry said coming out of the bathroom, now fully dressed.

"That would be the pancakes," Hermione said, half wishing he'd kept the towel on.

He nodded and sat down at the table. He wondered what would have happened if they'd not been interrupted. Every single time they came close, something happened to stop them. It was becoming quite frustrating and he was sick of taking cold showers.

"So what do you want to do?" she asked as they dug into their breakfast.

Harry shrugged as he poured some syrup onto his pancakes. "We could go to one of those museums you've been wanting to go to. Correction, begging to go to."

Hermione smiled. "You'd be bored out of your mind."

"I like history as much as the next bloke," Harry said defensively.

"When it has to do with Quidditch," Hermione replied, digging into her eggs.

"I'm interested in other things besides that," Harry pointed out.

"Well if you want to go to a museum then we'll go," Hermione beamed at him.

"There's just one catch," Harry said grinning at her.

"I knew it," she replied.

"When we get back home, you're going flying with me," he said raising his juice glass at her. "Deal?"

"Flying?" she wrinkled her nose. "I don't know..."

"You've flown with me before," Harry said. "Remember third year? You, me and good old Buckbeak..."

"And I hated it," Hermione replied. "And the Thestrals in fifth year..."

"Please?" Harry asked her. "I promise we'll go slow and we won't go too high..."

Hermione looked at him a moment. "You promise nothing will happen to me if I agree?"

"I promise," Harry said smiling at her. "I'd never let anything happen to you, you know that."

She smiled at him. "All right, I promise to go flying with you."

"That's my girl," Harry said beaming at her.

"What museum shall we go to then?" she asked happily.

"There's a great wax museum here," Harry said. "I read about it in that guide book of yours. What? Don't look at me like that. You said you had a good time when you went to Madame Tussaud's at home..."

"And you've seen one wax figure you've seen them all," Hermione replied. "What about going to one of the Civil War museums?"

"That might be okay," Harry said thoughtfully.

"I think you'd like it," Hermione said encouragingly. "And the best part is we can just be ourselves today."

"Don't you go making any passes at me, Hermione Granger," Harry said pulling a stern face. "I am a happily married man and I don't think my wife would like you making a move..."

"Oh what would Laura think?" Hermione pretended to be shocked.

"She'd be outraged," Harry said nodding. "She's quite territorial and she doesn't like to share. Never has."

"Hmmm..." Hermione abandoned the rest of her pancakes and moved over to Harry's lap. "You know, she is a good friend of mine and she told me there are a few things she doesn't mind sharing..."

"Really?" Harry asked huskily. "Like what?"

"Like a kiss..." Hermione brushed her lips over his. "Or two... or three..."

"And what if things escalade after that?" Harry asked, his hand sneaking under her t-shirt. "What then?"

"We wouldn't have to tell her," she whispered in his ear.

"I won't tell if you don't," Harry said standing up with Hermione's legs wrapped around his waist.

"What are we doing?" she asked her eyes half closed.

"What we've wanted to do for quite some time," Harry said laying her down on the bed. "Hermione --"

"I want to," she said immediately.

He smiled. "But you--you're not---I mean, we don't have---"

"What?" she asked desperately, wanting him to be kissing her right now.

"Protected," Harry replied.

"Well I'll get my wand and--" Hermione stopped. "Damn it..."

"You know Muggles apparently have come quite a long way in contraception," Harry said pulling a strand of hair out of her face. "We could go to a chemist or something and get something..."

"I know but..." she sighed in frustration. "I just wanted it now is all..."

"Me too," Harry said. "We'll have another chance, Hermione. It's not like it's now or never, right?"

"I know," she sat up. "You're right..."

"We'll get something today," he promised grabbing her arm and pulling her back down on the bed. "And so...next time....we won't have to stop."

"Sometimes I just don't care," Hermione stared at him.

He gave her a lingering kiss. "I know."

She kept him close to her. "Seems like a perfect day to spend in bed too..."

"I thought you wanted to go to the museum," he teased.

Hermione grinned at him. "What sounds more interesting to you?"

"The museum," Harry said after pretending to think this over. "Definitely."

"Please," she scoffed.

"I've listened to you talking about that museum," Harry said trying to keep a straight face. "And I must say it sounds completely riveting. I cannot wait to see what sorts of exhibits---ouch!"

"You are insufferable," Hermione pounded him again with her pillow.

"I thought you were the insufferable one," Harry said grabbing a pillow to block her. "Remember, insufferable know-it-all?"

"That was Ron's name for me, not yours..." she said, her voice trailing off.

"I wonder how he's doing," Harry said sitting up.

Hermione tossed her pillow down. "I feel bad- I haven't really thought of him since we got here..."

"Me either," Harry agreed. "This is such a mess and even if my name is cleared, he's never going to get over this, Hermione. It's never going to be the same for the three of us ever again."

"Tell me something I don't know," she said ruefully.

"I'm too selfish," Harry said quietly. "The noble thing for me to do would have been to give you up and try and get past those feelings that I had, but I couldn't do it. I can't give you up."

Hermione sat back down and wrapped her arms around him. "I'm not giving you up either. Harry- the way I feel about you scares the hell out of me and makes me happy at the same time."

"I know that feeling," Harry said. "It's always been you. It's always going to be you for me."

She kissed him. "And from now on, you're the only one for me."

*** *** ***

Harry found that he really enjoyed working as a cook in the hotel. He had lied a bit when he said he was familiar with Creole cuisine, but his co-workers had shown him a few things and now he was making dishes with ease. Hermione also seemed to be enjoying her work at the receptionist desk and most evenings were spent together going over the papers Luna still sent them daily.

He'd just finished up the lunch shift and was looking forward to calling it a day.

"Too bad you're married, man," his co-worker Stanley said as he finished cleaning up. "That accent would bag you quite a few women. Women love that shit."

"Look who's talking," Harry joked. "Women back in England would snap you up in a second with that southern drawl."

"I need all the help I can get," Stanley said laughing. "You working tomorrow?"

"Bright and early," Harry groaned teasingly.

"It should be hell," Stanley said shuddering. "Reese said we had some foot doctor convention coming in. Nothing like cooking for people who only care about feet."

"Hope they like gumbo," Harry nodded his head towards the huge pot cooking on the stove.

"They'd better," Stanley said. "That's all they're going to get. I got the rest of this if you want to get on out of here."

"Thanks mate," Harry clapped the other man's shoulder. "I'll cover for you next time you need to get out of here."

"I'll hold you to it," Stanley said grinning at him. "See you, Jack."

"Bye Stanley," Harry hung up his apron and left the kitchen.

The weather outside was fantastic and Harry thought he and Hermione might spend the afternoon by the pool. The idea of her in a bikini brought a goofy smile to his face.

"Mary Beth," Harry said smiling at Hermione's co-worker. "Have you seen Laura?"

"She's been off running some errands for Reese," Mary Beth replied. "But she should have been back by now."

"You know what sorts of errands?" Harry asked.

"Just some things here around the hotel," Mary Beth smiled. "I imagine Laura's around here somewhere."

"I'm going to see if I can find her," Harry said. "If she comes back, could you page me?"

"Sure Jack," Mary Beth agreed.

Harry started off in the employees' lounge. There were only two other people in there and neither of them had seen her since earlier that morning. He ran into Reese on the second floor.

"She left over two hours ago to go pick up some supplies," Reese said. She looked at her watch. "I had my doubts since she's not that familiar with the area..."

Harry tried not to panic. "I'm going to walk around the area to see if I can find her... if she comes back will you tell her to just wait for me here?"

"Sure," Reese said nodding. "I'm sure she's okay, Jack."

"Thanks Reese," Harry nodded before hurrying out.

He looked all around the surrounding area and even along the riverside trying to find her. It was hard not to think the worst.

"She's got to be around here somewhere," he muttered to himself as he pushed through the crowds of people.

"Excuse me," a man said from behind him. "Do I know you?"

"I don't think so," Harry replied absently without turning around.

"I think I do," the man said grabbing his arm. "You're not from around here."

"Let go of me," Harry jerked away.

"I know I know you," the man persisted.

"Good for you," Harry said shortly, walking away.

Harry looked over his shoulder and saw that the man was following him.

This was the last thing he needed at the moment, Harry thought in aggravation as he tried to lose the man in the crowds.

He saw a woman with brown hair in the distance and he smiled in relief.

"Laura!" he called out grabbing the woman's arm. The girl turned around and stared at him. "I think you have me confused with someone else."

"Oh..." Harry stopped short. "I'm really sorry."

"No problem," she said before disappearing into the crowd.

Running his hands through his hair, Harry leaned against the side of a building for a moment.

He saw the man who'd confronted him pass him and without thinking, Harry grabbed him and pushed him against the wall. "Are you following me?"

"You look familiar," the man said. "I know I've seen you before."

"No you haven't," Harry said through clenched teeth.

"I'm pretty sure I have," the man said struggling for breath. "Her--"

"What about her?" Harry pushed him against the wall again.

The man shook his head. "No, my dog! Herman!"

"I don't know about any dog," Harry released the man.

"No, it's my dog...right there!" the man said slapping his leg. "Come here, boy!"

Harry felt stupid. "Sorry," he muttered.

"No problem," the man said leaning down and picking up his dog.

Harry went back into the surge of people and decided to head back towards the bed and breakfast. He hoped by now Hermione would have turned up.

Hermione ran up behind him and put her hands over his eyes. "Guess who!"

"Bloody hell!" Harry swore.

"What?" Hermione asked pulling away. "What's wrong?"

"Where the hell were you?" Harry asked. "I've been looking all over the bloody place!"

"I was stuck in the cellar," Hermione replied. "Reese warned me about how the door's been sticking, but I forgot. Hey---Harry---"

"I was really worried," Harry crossed his arms.

"I just got out about ten minutes ago," Hermione said. "I wish I had my wand."

Harry finally calmed down. "You sure you're okay?"

She nodded. "It's a little spooky down there, to tell you the truth."

Harry pulled her close. "I thought someone might have found you from... from home."

"I'm fine," she said hugging him back. "I'm sorry I made you worry."

"I can't stand the thought of anything happening to you." Harry pressed his nose into her hair.

"I feel the same way about you," she said softly.

"Come on," he said, kissing her. "Do you have to go back to the bed and breakfast for anything?"

"I'm off," she said grinning at him. "What do you have planned?"

"Just thought we might lounge by the pool or something," Harry said linking their fingers together.

"Perfect idea," Hermione grinned. "You know, you're getting a bit of a tan."

Harry smiled a little. "Do you get the feeling sometimes like things are going a little too smoothly?"

"Yeah, but that's a good thing, right?" Hermione asked. "We want things to go smoothly."

"I know but I can't help but feel uneasy sometimes," Harry told her about the man. "You know, we really haven't taken many steps to disguise ourselves."

"You mean cut our hair or something?" she asked.

"I don't know," Harry shrugged. "Without magic I'm really not sure what to do."

"We could cut your hair shorter," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Maybe dye it brown or something."

"What about my scar?" he asked.

"Concealer?" Hermione suggested. "It can hide spots; I don't know why it couldn't hide your scar."

"I'll try anything," he said. "That guy just really freaked me out."

Hermione leaned against him. "It's going to be okay. I suppose I could straighten my hair ...maybe get it cut too."

"Don't do that," Harry said. "I like it long."

"You do?" Hermione asked blushing.

"It suits you," Harry said. "I've never seen it straight though."

"Well," Hermione said grinning at him. "Next time I style my hair, I'll straighten it and you can tell me what you think."

"All right," Harry kissed her. "Think you can take care of this for me?" he rumpled his messy locks.

"I think so," she said. "In fact, I can't wait."

"Are you going to make me over?" Harry teased.

"I am," she said nodding.

"Good thing I trust you so much," Harry kissed her again. "Perhaps I should get some contacts as well- these glasses sort of make me a target."

"There's an idea," Hermione said. "A whole new you."

"So much for sitting by the pool," Harry joked. "Sounds like we got a bit of work to do."

"Project!" Hermione squealed. "We can spend tomorrow by the pool."

"I've never heard you squeal like that before," Harry stared at her. "Unless it meant you got full marks in potions or something."

"You know how excited I get about starting something new," Hermione said grabbing his hand. "We should run by the drugstore and pick up some things---scissors, hair dye..."

"All right," Harry let her lead him away.

Nearly an hour later, they were in the hotel room and Hermione had cut Harry's hair and now she was in the process of dying it a dark brown.

"This stuff stinks," Harry groaned.

"Well that's the bleach," she said. "I had to do that to lighten up your hair..."

"How long before you wash it out?" Harry asked.

"The hard part's over with," Hermione inspected his formerly black strands. "You should see yourself," she laughed. "You sort of look like Malfoy."

"I thought it was brown," Harry said reaching for the mirror, but Hermione pulled it out of reach. "Tell me, it's not blonde, Hermione."

"It will be brown once we're finished Harry," she promised, mixing the colour in a bottle.

"Good," he said with a relieved sigh. "When do I get to see the new Hermione?"

"Soon as I'm done dyeing you," she motioned towards a straightening iron she'd gotten. "I'll try that out."

"Can I ask you something?" he asked her. "You remember the Yule Ball when you did that thing with your hair...how long did that take?"

"In fourth year?" Hermione laughed. "Bloody took me hours."

"I didn't even recognise you at first," Harry admitted. "But then...I think my jaw hit the floor."

She smiled at him. "I never felt as gorgeous as I did that night. And even though I only liked Viktor as a friend, he really made me feel like I was the only girl there."

"You really looked beautiful," he said. "Prettiest girl at the ball."

"Please," Hermione said rolling her eyes. "You were gaga over Cho Chang that night."

"I still noticed you," Harry replied as she began to squeeze the dark dye onto his hair.

"Was it something along the lines of, 'there's my best friend.....the other one....and yes, she is a girl!'" Hermione asked.

"I already knew you were a girl," Harry chuckled. "I'm not daft like Ron... well not completely."

"You want to know something?" she asked.

"What?" he replied.

"I was kind of hoping that you'd have asked me to the Ball that year," she admitted.

"You were?" Harry was astonished.

Hermione bit her bottom lip. "I had a bit of crush."

"On me?" he was disbelieving.

"No, on Nearly Headless Nick," Hermione said hitting his shoulder. "Yes you. You were very fanciable."

"I never knew that," Harry said. "I was so hung up on Cho... I never noticed you in that way until later."

"When?" Hermione couldn't stop herself from asking.

"I don't know... seventh year mostly. I still can't explain what came over me in sixth year but when we were out looking for those Horcruxes- no matter what I did or said, you were right there helping me destroy them all."

"Ron was there too," Hermione said quietly.

"I know that," Harry replied as she used her gloved hands to work the dye in. "But you were always there, always contributing. I wanted to say something to you so many times, but then Ron told me that he fancied you and I couldn't say anything after that."

"If you had, I wonder what would have happened," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"We wouldn't have wasted so much damn time," Harry replied.

"We're making up for it now," she said.

He nodded. "How long does this stuff have to sit?"

Hermione picked up the box. "Ten minutes."

"Right," Harry said. "I'm going to go watch some telly then."

"I'll just get to work on mine then," Hermione said. She giggled as she looked at him. "I've never wanted you more than I do right now."

"What?" Harry laughed. "With me looking like a complete idiot?"

"Yes," Hermione said putting her hand on her forehead. "I think I might swoon!"

Harry shook his head. "Now you're acting like a fool," he teased.

She stuck her tongue out at him. "Well, I'm going to tackle my hair."

"I'll come back in here when it's time to rinse this gunk out," Harry kissed her.

"Okay," she said grinning at him.

Harry spent the time just watching some old sitcom on the telly. "Has it been long enough?" he called. "This stuff itches!"

Hermione ran a brush through her now straightened hair. "Come on in..."

Harry's jaw dropped when he saw her, much like it had when he saw her before the Yule Ball. "Wow..."

"You like?" Hermione asked, pleased by the expression on his face.

"I do," he nodded. "A lot."

She grinned as he moved in for a kiss. "No, no. We need to wash this out of your hair first."

"Fine, fine..." he shook his head. "But I'm going to snog your lights out when we're done."

"I'm counting on it," she said as Harry knelt down over the bath tub.

Her hands felt wonderful in his hair as she helped him rinse out the dye. "Maybe you can do this for me again," he grinned at her, blinking the water out of his eyes.

"Bad smell and all?" she teased.

"Maybe we can do without the bad smell," Harry said as she finished.

Hermione handed him a towel. "I hope you don't think I took too much off."

He shrugged. "It'll grow back. Can't be worse than what Aunt Petunia used to do to me."

"Don't even get me started on that horrible woman," Hermione said. "Every time I think about what they did to you---"

"She can't hurt me anymore," Harry told her.

Hermione kissed his forehead. "Let's get you cleaned up."

"Right," he said, putting his glasses on.

Hermione used the blow dryer to dry his hair and then combed through it with her brush. It was much shorter than before and the lighter colour suited him. "Very handsome," she said standing back to admire her handiwork.

"Hey," Harry peered at his reflection. "That looks great Hermione!" he was obviously pleased.

"I'll say," Hermione said mussing his hair. "Kiss me."

"Am I allowed this time?" he pulled her close.

"What do you think?" Hermione asked looking up at him.

"I think I owe you big for this," Harry leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.

"I know how you can start paying me back," she said pulling him closer.

"I assume this is a good start," Harry ran his fingers through her silky hair.

"Good thing we bought something else at the shop," Hermione said tugging at his t-shirt.

"Oh yeah?" he asked.

Hermione nodded. "No need to stop this time."

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, she heard the mobile phone start to ring from the other room.

"You've got to be kidding me," Harry groaned.

"It might be important," Hermione said patting his arm. She walked out of the bathroom, trying to regain her composure. "Hello?" she asked when she picked up the phone.

"Hey, it's me," Luna's familiar voice said.

"Luna!" Hermione exclaimed.

"I'm not calling at a bad time, am I?" Luna asked.

"No it's fine," Hermione said. "Is everything all right?"

Luna didn't say anything for a few moments.

"Luna?"

"Something's happened, Hermione," Luna said. "It's Molly."