Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks guys for the response to the last chapter. We are sorry for the cliffie and we really aren't evil and contrary to popular belief, it's not always Amy who is responsible for them. You find out what has happened to Molly in this chapter along with more R/L and D/G and of course, H/Hr.

Well if they say that love is in the air, never is it clear
How to pull it close and make it stay
If butterflies are free to fly, why do they fly away
Leavin' me to carry on and wonder why
Was it you that kept me wondering through this life
When you know that I was always on your side
(Always on Your Side, Sheryl Crow & Sting)

"Something's happened, Hermione," Luna said. "It's Molly."

"What?" Hermione sat down. "Luna please tell me!"

"She's started to have hallucinations," Luna said quietly. "A couple of days ago, Ron found her in the kitchen making dinner...she said she was making all of Mr. Weasley's favourite things since it was their anniversary. She...she told Ron and Charlie that they should make themselves scarce when their father came home."

"Oh no," Hermione moaned as Harry came into the room. "That's awful."

"And so Ron and Charlie decided to just humour her and they came back an hour later and she was in the kitchen, sitting at the table...talking to him. Ronald was so upset..."

"I can imagine," Hermione felt tears well up in her eyes.

"They've taken her to St. Mungos," Luna explained. "That's not all though...it's about Ginny."

Hermione motioned for Harry to sit down so they could both listen. "What did she do?"

"To start, she found out the other day that she's expecting a little girl," Luna replied. "And that night, Mrs. Weasley said she saw someone coming out of Ginny's room. Ron and Charlie didn't believe her because of what happened before..."

"Someone coming out of her room?" Hermione asked.

"According to Mrs. Weasley it was the same nice young man who checked on Ginny at the funeral," Luna said. "The same bloke who doesn't exist."

"How strange," Hermione commented. "Have you found anything out about him yet?"

"No," Luna replied. "But I've got Neville checking into it, too. I hope you don't mind. He so wanted to help."

"No that's fine," Hermione shared a look with Harry.

"And the reward for your capture has increased," Luna reported.

Harry shook his head. "I had some guy today downtown tell me he'd seen me before."

"None of the tips so far have come from the States," Luna said. "So that's good news, at least."

"We've tried to disguise ourselves," Hermione explained telling Luna about their new hairstyles. "And we're trying to keep a low profile."

"That's a good idea," Luna said. "I hope I'll have some better news for you soon. And I'm trying to get Ronald to see our side of things as well."

"Thanks, Luna," Hermione replied. "For everything you're doing for us. We can't even begin to repay you---"

"You're my friends," Luna said firmly. "That's enough for me."

"Thanks," Hermione said. "We'll be in touch, okay?"

"Right," Luna said. "You both take care."

Hermione clicked off the phone and then told Harry everything Luna had told her about Molly.

"I can't even imagine what she's going through," Hermione said wiping at her eyes.

Harry flopped back on the bed. "What a fucking mess," he said angrily.

"To say the least," Hermione said sitting down beside him. "And if Ginny knows who really did this, how can she sit by and watch her mother suffer like this?"

"I don't know," Harry said quietly. "This pisses me off Hermione."

"Whoever did this should pay," Hermione said.

"I feel useless," Harry said. "We're sitting here in New Orleans doing nothing to help the investigation."

"I know," Hermione said. "But our hands are tied, Harry."

"Yeah," he replied sullenly.

"Luna and Neville are working hard on this," Hermione tried to reassure him. "And Luna's working on Ron, too."

"In the long run, it's going to be important that he believes us," Harry said.

"He will," Hermione said. "He has to. He knows you. He knows, deep down, that you couldn't possibly have done this, Harry."

"I guess," Harry wasn't convinced.

"I know this isn't easy for you," Hermione said thoughtfully. "All your life, it's been you who's come to the rescue and you who've had to take the weight of the world on your shoulders and for the first time you're out of control."

"I just hate the thought of everyone trying to do all this for me and I can't do anything to help myself," Harry replied.

"They're doing this for you because they care about you," Hermione said.

"I'm glad to have friends like that," he said quietly.

"And I'm glad that you're here with me," she said softly. "And not in some cell at Azkaban."

Harry looked at her. "You're one amazing woman Hermione." he traced her cheek.

"You think so?" she said pressing her cheek into the palm of his hand.

He nodded. "I can't wait until this is all over and we can just be ourselves again."

"And not have to look over our shoulders all the time," Hermione agreed.

"I hope when we find out who really did this that the Weasleys can forgive me," Harry said, resting his forehead on hers.

"They will," Hermione said.

"I really hope so," Harry closed his eyes. "But as long as you and Luna and Neville believe me..."

"We do," Hermione said relaxing in his arms. "And I'm never going to stop."

"Thank you," he said softly.

"You remember those talks we had?" Hermione asked as they both lay down on the bed. "About where we'd go when you got out?"

"Yeah," he said. "We can go anywhere..."

"We'll still do that," Hermione said resting her head on his chest. "Anywhere you want to go."

"We'll go on holiday together," Harry stroked her hair. "Somewhere warm... and peaceful... away from the public eye."

"With you in swimming trunks," Hermione said tickling his side.

"Or you in nothing," Harry said, running his palm over her abdomen.

"Harry!" Hermione said. "I wouldn't do that on a beach!"

"Not even at night?" his eyes glinted.

"Well, I could make an exception," she said coyly.

He kissed her. "This will all be over soon right?"

"I promise," she said smiling at him.

*** *** ***

Molly's rapidly downward spiral had forced a meeting between the Weasley children sans Percy, and they decided to admit her to St Mungo's for a few days to make sure she was properly nourished. They had all stopped by as frequently as possible- even Fleur came by with her and Bill's children- to keep Molly company.

Ron was currently leaving her room, promising to stop by the next day and visit again. For once he was glad he was only on the reserve team, as he'd be practising constantly if he was their regular Keeper.

He was also seeing Remus Lupin nearly every day, trying to find out as much as he could on the investigation into Harry and Hermione's whereabouts.

Luna had said that she'd meet him at the hospital after she finished up with a staff meeting at The Quibbler. As he rounded the corner, he spotted Luna sitting on one of the sofas in the visitor's area. She leaned closer to talk to someone and Ron's jaw nearly dropped when he saw who it was Luna was talking to---Neville Longbottom.

They were talking quietly and quite intensely about something, as they both looked very serious. He wondered if it was about his ex best friends.

Ron felt a pang of jealousy as he watched Neville give Luna a lingering hug.

"You'll let me know?" he heard Neville say as he got up.

Luna nodded. "I couldn't do this without you."

"I've got to get home," he said. "Susan's with the cat. I'll see you soon Luna."

"Okay," Luna said squeezing his hand. "Give my best to Susan."

"I will," Neville got up and walked in the opposite direction of where Ron was standing.

Ron waited a few moments before walking over to where Luna sat. She smiled up at him. "Hi, Ronald."

"Hi Luna," he said, forcing a smile onto his face.

"How's your Mum?" she asked.

"She's okay," Ron answered wearily. "Better than she was at home."

"I know you hated to do this, but it really is best for her," Luna said softly.

"Yeah," he said. "I just feel like my whole bloody life is falling apart now."

Luna stood up and gave him a hug. "Oh, Ronald..."

He let her hold him for several minutes- being comforted felt nice.

"Things will get better," she told him. "I know it doesn't seem like it now, but it will."

"I hope so," he said. "I don't know how much more of this I can take. Nothing can bring my dad back Luna. My mum's sick in the hospital. And my father's murderer escaped with my ex girlfriend!"

"Ron," Luna said feeling a pang of guilt at what she was keeping from him.

He shook his head. "I just didn't think things could ever get this hard," he muttered.

"I didn't know your dad very well, but I think he would be very proud of you," Luna said taking his hand and leading him back over to the sofa.

"You think so?" the thought seemed to cheer him up just a bit.

"I do," Luna said nodding. "You've been so strong for your whole family. I know it's a lot to take on your shoulders, but you've really been amazing, Ronald. And very, very brave."

"Thanks," Ron said as she squeezed his hand. "That means a lot to me Luna."

"I'd do anything for you, Ron," Luna said softly. "I hope you know that."

"You're really incredible," he said as if seeing her for the first time. "I mean, I rebuffed you and treated you horribly and you still want to help me."

Luna blushed. "We were just kids back then. You've grown up quite a bit since then."

"I've kind of had to," he admitted.

"I'm just glad you let me in," Luna said smiling at him.

"Can I tell you something?" he asked.

"Of course," Luna replied.

"Outside my family," Ron began. "You're the only person I feel like I can trust."

"Ronald---" Luna said touched by his words.

"You've just really been there for me," he said. "And I appreciate it."

Luna threw her arms around him and hugged him to her. "And you told me you never know the right things to say."

Ron smiled genuinely for the first time that day. "Sometimes I get lucky."

"You want to grab a bite to eat in the cafeteria?" Luna asked him. "I know food always makes you feel better."

"You're starting to know me too well," he said. "Let me just check on Mum and make sure she's eating what they brought to her."

"Okay," Luna said. "I'll wait for you."

"You can come in with me if you want," Ron said. "Mum likes seeing you."

"Okay," Luna smiled and took his hand.

"Mum?" Ron knocked on the door. "Just thought I'd see if you needed anything else before I left."

"Ronald," Molly said sitting up in her bed. "You're not going are you?"

"I don't have to," Ron said quickly.

"Has Percy stopped by?" Molly asked. "You told him I wanted to see him."

"I did," Ron said uncomfortably. "But um... none of us have really seen him since the funeral."

Molly nodded and looked down at her lap. "I don't know what I did to make him go away..."

"You didn't do anything," Ron said firmly. "You did nothing wrong Mum, not at all."

Molly sniffed and wiped at her eyes. "I'm so scared, Ronald. Arthur would be so disappointed in me."

"Mum," Ron said as Luna bit her lower lip to try and stave off her tears. "Dad loved you so much. You did no wrong in his eyes, you know that."

Molly sobbed and grabbed Ron's hand. "Thank you, Ronald."

Ron hugged his mother. "I love you Mum," he said quietly.

"I love you too," Molly said weakly. She saw Luna standing near the door. "You've been a great help to our family, Luna."

"I'll do anything I can for you and your family Molly," Luna promised.

"Will you look after Ginny for me?" Molly asked. "That strange man coming out of her bedroom..."

"Mum," Ron said patting her on the back. "Ginny didn't have any strange man in her bedroom."

"What did he look like?" Luna couldn't help asking.

"He had blonde hair and the coldest grey eyes," Molly replied thoughtfully. "He looked somewhat familiar..."

Ron and Luna looked at each other strangely. "Malfoy?"

"No one's seen him for years," Molly said shaking her head. "I don't think it was him, Ron."

"It wasn't anyone named Christopher?" Luna interjected. "With brown hair and dark eyes?"

"I never heard his name, love," Molly said. "I just want you to make sure he doesn't bother Ginevra. She has too much to worry about with the baby."

"Right," Luna nodded. "I'll help her out whenever she needs it."

"And take care of Ronald," Molly said softly. "He needs you."

"Always," Luna promised.

"You two should go and get something to eat," Molly urged. "I'm going to take a nice kip."

"You'll be okay?" Ron asked. "And you promise to eat when you wake up?"

"I promise," Molly said. "Will you bring me a piece of that chocolate cake when you come back?"

"We will," Luna promised. "The biggest piece they have."

"Thank you," Molly smiled at her. "Thank you both."

Ron used his wand to dim the lights for his mother and he took Luna's hand and followed her out of the room.

"You were wonderful in there," Luna said.

"Couldn't have done it without you," he said. "You've been my rock throughout this whole thing, Luna."

She blushed. "You're quite poetic today Ronald."

"I told you that every now and then I get lucky," he said. "Give me time; I'll stick my foot in my mouth again."

"Let's go get your mum that cake," she said. "It'll be a nice surprise if she wakes up to it sitting on the table next to her."

"Wonderful idea," Ron agreed. "And you get whatever you want too, Luna. It's on me."

"Thank you," she leaned over and went to kiss his cheek.

Unfortunately, Ron turned to say something to her at the last minute and her lips pressed softly against his.

"Oh Merlin," Luna pulled away immediately, her face turning bright red. "I am so sorry- I know you said you weren't ready for this and here I just go and--"

Ron cut her off by pulling her back to him and kissing her softly. He certainly hadn't meant for this to happen and it was probably the last thing he would have ever expected, but he truly, truly liked her. He wondered if she'd ever been kissed before. He remembered how close she and Neville had been at Hogwarts and how close they'd continued to be. Despite knowing of Neville's engagement, Ron was still quite jealous.

"Oh my..." Luna's eyes closed as Ron kissed her even more deeply.

Ron breathlessly pulled away from her what seemed like an eternity later. "Wow..." was all that he could say.

"Yeah..." she was quite dazed.

"I didn't mean to do that," he said causing her to stare up at him in distress. "But...but I'm glad I did."

"Me too," Luna agreed softly. "You're quite a good kisser Ronald..."

This time it was Ron who turned red. "You're quite good, too."

"I am?" she was pleased.

He nodded. "You've thrown me for quite a loop, Luna."

"I'll understand if you don't want to pursue anything--" Luna began.

"Things are really complicated right now," Ron said honestly. "I don't know whether I'm coming or going most of the time, but I don't want to do this without you, Luna. I can't promise you anything right now. I wish I could..."

"I appreciate your telling me the truth," she said softly.

Ron leaned in and gave her another kiss. "We should probably head on downstairs."

"Okay," she whispered, her stomach still fluttering in excitement.

They held hands as they waited for the lift. Ron looked sideways at her. "What---what was Neville doing here?"

"Um..." Luna looked at her feet. "He was... here visiting someone and um... thought he'd come and say hello."

Ron could tell she was hiding something. "He mentioned something about a cat...."

"He and Susan are watching Crookshanks," Luna figured there was no reason to hide that.

Ron frowned. "Of course he is. The first charter member of Harry and Hermione's fan club. If I didn't know how inept and bumbling he was, I'd think he had a hand in helping them escape."

"How could you say that?" Luna asked, pulling her hand away. "Ronald if you can think that about him, then what must you truly think about me?"

"Luna---" Ron stammered. "I--I...."

"I support them too," Luna said. "Despite the fact that you think Harry's guilty. So that must make me inept and bumbling and stupid too in your eyes."

Ron vehemently shook his head. "I never said that...don't put words in my mouth, Luna! You're one of the smartest people I know."

Luna stared at him without saying anything.

"I shouldn't have said anything about Longbottom anyway," Ron said scuffing his foot on the floor. "I just saw the two of you together when I came out of my mum's room and I hated it. I hated how comfortable and easy you were with him. He always liked you Luna. He was always nice to you. I wouldn't be surprised if you fancied him."

"Me and Neville?" she asked disbelievingly. "Ronald he never fancied me."

"Are you blind?" Ron asked her. "Luna, he followed you around like a puppy during my sixth year..."

"We were friends," Luna told him. "That's it and that's all."

Ron breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm sorry for what I said before."

"I know it's hard," Luna said. "But I just wish you could see that we believe in Harry and not judge us because we don't share the same opinion as you."

"They were my best friends, Luna and they betrayed me," Ron said. "I meant what I said before you're the only one I feel I can trust outside my family. You're all that I have."

"Be honest with me," she said. "If it was proven that Harry is innocent, would you forgive him?"

"I don't know," Ron said quietly.

"All right then," Luna said. "Are you angrier because you think he did this to your father, or because of Hermione?"

"He took the two people away from me that I cared most about in this world," Ron said angrily. "And you want me to play what if. Luna---just go back to your newspaper and work on ways to clear Harry and Hermione. But just leave me out of it!"

"If you cared most about Hermione, then why did you let her go so easily without a fight?" Luna didn't budge.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ron asked her.

"You didn't fight for her," Luna said, her arms folded.

"You can't make someone stay when they want to be somewhere else," Ron practically spat at her. "She never wanted me, Luna. She just wanted me for practise until the one she really wanted woke up and realised what was right under his nose."

"And that's the real reason you hate him now," Luna said. "I think you know deep down that Harry could never do this, especially not to your father. But your anger over your break up with Hermione is overshadowing that."

Ron glared at her. "I'm not going to stand here and listen to this. You don't know the first thing about me, Luna."

"Obviously not," her eyes filled with tears. "Every time we take a step forward we take two steps back."

"That's not my fault," Ron said defensively. "You're the one who keeps bringing this up. Why does everything have to go back to him?"

"Because I know he's important to you," Luna replied. "He was your best friend for a long time, and he's a good friend of mine as well."

"Did you help him?" Ron asked her point-blank.

"No, I didn't help him." Luna answered which was the truth. She had helped Hermione go to Dennis.

"Do you know where they are?" Ron asked her.

Now Luna hedged his question. "If I had helped I'm sure I would," she replied.

Ron nodded believing her. "I do miss them, Luna. Before anything else, we were friends; always friends."

She softened. "I'm sorry," she apologised. "I shouldn't keep pushing this on you."

"So much has happened and everything is changing," he said taking her hand.

Luna nodded. "Change is hard sometimes too."

"Very," he agreed.

They looked at one another for several long moments. "We should probably get that cake now for your mum," Luna whispered.

"Yeah," Ron said nodding. "We should before the cafeteria closes."

"Or before it's all gone," she said.

"That would be a real tragedy," Ron said laughing.

Luna held onto his hand as they made their way downstairs. They might have taken a few steps back but she felt closer to him than she ever had. Perhaps things were finally starting to look up.

*** *** ***

Draco was sleeping quite well with visions of a certain red-headed girl dancing in his head. Her long hair flowing behind her as she walked toward him. She crooked her finger at him, beckoning him to come a little closer. Her figure, which he'd always loved, was now fuller and curvier because of the baby. He had never in his life seen any one look more lovely than she did in the flowing white dress.

He was just leaning in to kiss her when he heard a loud slam. Groaning, he pulled the covers over his head. This wasn't just a dream. It couldn't have been.

"Wake up!" Ginny hissed as she shook him. "You have some nerve, Draco Malfoy!"

"Wha..." Draco mumbled. "Red... baby..."

"Get up!" she said angrily pulling back the sheets. "Now!"

"What's wrong?" Draco rubbed at his eyes.

Ginny glared at him. "Thanks to you, my mother is lying in a hospital bed right now!"

"Why is that my fault?" Draco asked.

"What on earth possessed you to sneak into the Burrow like that?" she asked him. "And you weren't even in disguise, Draco!'

"I had to see you Red," Draco reached for her. "I can't stand you not being here."

"No," she said shaking her head and pulling away from him. Tears welled up in her eyes. "She was so sad, Draco. She thought my dad was still alive...and it killed my brothers to have to do that to her...I can't do this anymore."

"Red..." Draco got off the bed. "We can't confess now!"

"Don't you get it?" she asked him, the tears falling freely down her face now. "I can't do this. My mother----this is killing her, Draco. And it's because of me. I set this all in motion..."

"You weren't alone," Draco pulled her to him. "Ginny, if you went and told your mum this do you think it would make her feel any better?"

"No, but---" Ginny started to argue.

"We just have to keep doing what we're doing," Draco cupped her face in his hands. "They're going to find Potter- he was already convicted and he'll go to jail. Your mum will get better and everything will be fine."

"You think it's that easy?" Ginny asked him weakly.

"I don't know," he said truthfully.

Ginny pulled away and stood up. "I love my mother so much, Draco. I can't do this to her."

"What's going to happen to her when she finds out the truth then?" Draco demanded. "What about when they find out that Potter isn't the baby's father?"

"Why did you kill him?" Ginny asked, her whole body shaking. "None of this would have happened if you hadn't have killed him!"

"So you'd rather me go to Azkaban?" Draco asked.

"I never said that!" she retorted. "All I wanted was for you and me to raise our baby with---with---"

Her face contorted in pain and she grabbed her stomach.

"What is it?" he rushed forward. "Red--"

"It hurts," she managed to choke out.

"Should we get you to the hospital?" he asked, panicked.

Ginny shook her head. "Maybe if I just sat down..."

Draco helped her over to the bed and sat her down. "Do you need anything?"

"Water," Ginny replied.

"I'll get it," Draco went into the bathroom and got her a glass. "What else?"

"Hold my hand," Ginny said, the pain had subsided, but what had happened scared her.

"Anything," Draco said. Despite the way he had been raised and everything that had happened to him in his lifetime, Ginny and his unborn daughter meant more to him than anything else.

"The healer told me I shouldn't get worked up about anything," Ginny said after taking a sip of her water.

Draco nodded. "Okay, we'll keep calm with everything..."

"How?" Ginny asked. "Everything's completely chaos."

"Well then we just have to keep our heads on straight," Draco said. "Not get all worked up over this."

"I'm scared," she said setting her water down on the bedside table. "I don't know what to do most of the time."

"Well I'm not going to let anything happen to you or the baby," Draco replied. "If it makes you feel better, I promise not to go out without a disguise from now on."

Ginny put her arms around him. "I love you."

"I love you," he kissed her temple. "We're going to get through this Red. You, me and our girl."

"Our little girl," she said softly patting her stomach. "I cannot wait to meet her."

"We'll have to think of a name," Draco put his hand on top of hers.

"Do you have any ideas?" Ginny said smiling at him for the first time that evening.

"Not yet," Draco lay back, taking her with him.

"Certainly not Narcissa," Ginny said grinning at him.

Draco sneered. "That's horrible."

"You Malfoys have the strangest names," Ginny said softly. She watched in awe as Draco placed his hands on her stomach. "You really want this, don't you?"

"I've never had a family," Draco said quietly.

"You have one now," Ginny said touching his cheek.

"That's why we have to stick together," Draco kissed her.

Ginny nodded. "Together."