Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thank you guys for the great response we've gotten on this story. We appreciate all the comments and questions. Please keep them coming. More Ron/Luna, Draco/Ginny and of course Harry/Hermione in this chapter as H/Hr try to adjust to their new surroundings.

Oh simple thing where have you gone
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

And if you have a minute why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know?

(Keane-Somewhere Only We Know)

Ron knocked on the door to his sister's flat. Upon leaving the Ministry the day of Harry's sentencing and escape she'd gone to the Burrow, packed up her things, and left with hardly a word to any of them.

He wanted to think Ginny was grieving- her father was dead and the father of her baby was the one who had committed the crime, but something nagged at him and told him it was deeper than that.

It took a few moments for anyone to answer and he heard footsteps approaching the door.

"Who is it?" his sister's voice called out.

"It's me Gin," Ron said. "Come on, open up."

On the other side of the door, Ginny paled and looked helplessly at Draco who was sitting on the sofa.

"What do we do?" she whispered to him.

Draco rolled his eyes. "I'll go fucking hide," he said.

"Keep your voice down," she hissed to him as he disappeared into the bedroom.

Smoothing down her jumper, she walked back over to the door and opened it. "Hi, Ron. Now really isn't a good time..."

"Mum wants to make sure you're okay," Ron said abruptly.

"I'm fine," Ginny said forcing a smile. "As you can see..."

Her voice trailed off as Ron breezed right past her and into the flat.

"How come you didn't stick around at the Burrow?" he asked her.

Ginny sat back down on the sofa and cast a nervous glance toward the bedroom door, which was slightly ajar. Draco was listening.

"It just holds too many memories," she said which was partially true. "Dad's in every corner of the house, Ron. It's hard being around it."

"But we're all there Gin," Ron said. "Your family- it's not good for you or the baby to be alone like this. And despite that it's Harry's as well; you know we'll all love it."

"I know," Ginny said. "But it's just---where are you going?"

"I'm going to pack you up," Ron said. "Mum needs you Ginny. She needs all of us. Even Bill and Fleur are coming back this weekend."

"Ewww, Phlegm?" Ginny asked scrunching up her nose. "No thank you."

"What is wrong with you?" Ron stopped his hand an inch from the doorknob. "Ginny--"

"Don't go in there, Ron!" Ginny shouted.

He froze. "What?"

"It's messy," Ginny said grabbing his arm. "And I don't want you to pack me up, Ronald. I want to be here. It's too hard for me to be at Mum's. You have to understand that."

"How can it be too hard to be around family?" Ron asked incredulously.

"It just is," Ginny said reaching past her brother and shutting the bedroom door.

"And why are you being so secretive?" Ron asked. "You know- Luna thinks you're up to something and I'm inclined to agree with her..."

Ginny rolled her eyes. "She works for The Quibbler, Ron. She's interested in things like Nargles and Snorkacks. You can't tell me you put much credence into anything she has to say..."

"I put a lot into what she says," Ron said angrily. "She's become a great friend to me ever since Dad died!"

"Ron, Ron, Ron," Ginny said shaking her head. "I can't believe how naive you're being. You know what she's really after, don't you?"

Ron folded his arms. "Why don't you tell me," he said evenly.

"She fancies you, though I really don't know why," Ginny replied as if this was the most obvious answer in the world. "Always has, always will. And she's taking advantage of you in your vulnerable state."

Ron looked at his sister as if he'd never seen her before. "You've changed," he said. "And I don't know why or when... but you have. And it was before everything happened with Dad."

"Maybe it has something to do with the way your good friend used me and turned his back on me," Ginny suggested. "Ever think of that?"

"Ginny we've always supported you having a relationship with him," Ron pointed out. "You know that."

"I know," Ginny relented. "It's just....I thought he really loved me, Ron. I thought we were finally ready to get things back to where they were before. And then I find out that he's been in love with Hermione the entire time..."

Ron stiffened at his sister's words. "I'd really appreciate it if you'd come back to the house with me," he said. "So would Mum."

Ginny could tell he wasn't about to give up and it would probably be easier if she packed her things and went.

"Okay," she said quietly. "Um, could you wait for me in the sitting room? I'll just pack a few things."

"Thank you," he said, giving her bedroom door another suspicious look before walking away.

Ginny exhaled before walking into her bedroom.

"I suppose you heard," she whispered to Draco.

"You're leaving again," he said coolly, leaning against the wall.

"I have to," she said picking up her wand and casting a silencing charm on the room. "He wasn't going to give up. We Weasleys are stubborn."

Draco snorted. "Obviously." he was angry. "You can tell them no, Ginny. You're a grown woman and you don't have to follow their rules."

"They're my family," Ginny said. "I know that doesn't mean much to you, but--but it does to me."

"Yeah well you know what?" Draco pushed himself away from the wall. "You're MY family Ginny. My ONLY family."

Ginny softened at his words. "Draco, I promise I won't be gone long."

"You said that before," Draco wasn't deterred by her tone. "I need you here too. Damn it Ginny, I killed him- and despite the fact that most people think I'm an arse, I've never killed anyone. And I certainly didn't intend to start with your father!"

"I know that," she said softly. "Draco, I'll just stay with my family a couple of days and then I'll be back here. Okay?"

He crossed his arms and stared at her.

"I promise," she said leaning in for a kiss.

He finally softened as she pressed her lips to his. "Just be careful Red," he told her. "Watch what you say, and how you react to things."

"I will," Ginny said. "You want to help me pack?"

"I guess," Draco said, still unenthused about her leaving.

"I'll really have to be on my toes around Luna," Ginny said as she went over to her wardrobe to pull out some clothes. "Next to Hermione, she's Harry's biggest supporter."

Draco shook his head. "Amazing how he still has people who worship him."

"Where do you think he is?" Ginny asked. "You don't think he knows it was us, do you?"

"He probably doesn't know anything but what Granger's tonsils look like," Draco said snidely, closing her suitcase.

Ginny scrunched her nose up in disgust. "It's what she's wanted since she met him."

"Ginny!" Ron pounded on the door. "What are you doing in there?"

"Coming," Ginny said. She turned to Draco. "I'll miss you."

"I don't think he heard you," Draco said with a smirk. "You did put a silencing charm on the room remember?"

"Oh," Ginny said turning pink. "I kind of forget when you're around."

He finally smiled. "I'll miss you too."

Ginny gave him a lingering kiss as Ron continued to pound on the door. Draco reluctantly let her go and stood behind the door.

"Sorry," Ginny said. "I felt a little sick. I-I'm ready to go if you are."

Ron nodded, his eyes looking past her into the room. "Mum will be happy to have you there."

Ginny gave a half-hearted smile. "I'm sorry, Ron. For what I said before."

"It's okay," he said. "We're all upset and saying things we don't mean."

Ginny handed him her suitcase and cloak.

"What are you looking at?" she asked him.

"Why do you have men's boxer shorts on your bed?" Ron asked her.

Ginny slammed the door shut. "I like wearing them when I go to sleep all right?" she snapped.

Ron looked quizzically at her. "O--Kay. Your hormones really are raging."

"Yeah well I'm pregnant you know," Ginny flounced to the front door.

"Aye," Ron said giving the flat one last look. There was something kind of odd about the place, but he couldn't put his finger on what. "Come in, Gin."

Without another word, Ginny brushed past her brother and held open the door. "Come on," she said impatiently.

"Right behind you," Ron said. "Right behind you."

His sister's odd behaviour was on his mind through most of that afternoon and evening. It was now after dinner and Ron was sitting on the old swing just behind the house, thinking about what she'd said about Hermione being in love with Harry.

"Room for one more?" a familiar voice called out to him.

"Luna," he smiled.

"Hi," she said smiling back at him. "I brought some lemon biscuits for your mum."

"She'll love those," Ron moved aside as she sat down. "They're her favourites."

"I know," Luna said. "What are you doing back here?"

"Just thinking," Ron replied. "I've got a lot on my mind."

"Anything I can help with?" she asked softly.

"I'm not sure," he replied, not noticing as she moved a bit closer to him. "I don't even know what I'm thinking half the time these days. I go between being so angry I can hardly see to feeling really down in the dumps."

Luna took his hand and squeezed it. "That's normal, Ron. You've gone through so much these last few weeks."

"It's been a crazy time," he pushed off with his foot so they swung gently.

"If you want to talk, you know I'm here for you," Luna said.

"I owe you a lot," Ron said. "And I know I'm not the easiest bloke to get along with, and I stuff my foot in my mouth more often than not. But thanks for being here Luna."

"We're friends," she said softly. "It's what friends are supposed to do."

"Right," he nodded after a moment. They sat in silence for a few moments.

"I saw Ginny inside," Luna finally said.

"I practically had to pull nails to get her back here," he shook his head. "I don't know what's wrong with her Luna. Even before Dad died, she was acting distant."

"And did you call her on it?" Luna asked.

"She blamed it on her pregnancy," Ron scuffed his foot in the dirt. "Be honest with me..." he looked at her.

"Okay," Luna said gazing back at him.

"Would I sound completely horrible if I said I'm starting to not believe that Harry's the father of her baby?" Ron asked hesitantly.

Luna hadn't expected him to ask her this, but her heart swelled at the question. "What makes you say that?"

"I don't know," Ron pushed his hair back. "Just... something feels off about her. You know, when we were kids, we were close. Then after we both started Hogwarts, we grew apart. I had Harry and Hermione and she had her friends. And now she feels like a complete stranger."

Luna nodded. "When we were at Hogwarts, she was the only real friend I had. She didn't judge me or make fun of me. And during our sixth year, something changed in her."

"After she and Harry broke things off," Ron finished.

"I'm not so sure that's all it was," Luna commented, hoping she wasn't about to set Ron off again.

"What else could it be?" he asked.

Luna shrugged. "I'm not sure..."

"I guess I'll just keep an eye on her." Ron said finally.

"I think that'd be a good idea," Luna said leaning back on the swing.

They sat in silence again for another minute or two. Without realising what he was doing, Ron stretched his arm along the top of the swing.

"It's chilly out tonight, isn't it?" Luna asked snuggling closer.

"A little," Ron replied, bemused.

Luna smiled and looked up at the night sky.

He happened to glance over at her at that moment and was amazed at how blue her eyes looked in the moonlight. Ron tried to chastise himself for thinking that way- he should be there for his mother and not worry about another relationship- but he found that to be impossible.

"Full moon," Luna said softly.

"Yeah," he said. "Lupin's probably not having such a great night."

"Probably not," Luna said. "But he has Tonks."

"Yeah," Ron said again, feeling like an idiot. "Maybe um... we should take those biscuits to my mum." he started to get up when she put a hand on his arm.

"Ron," she said softly.

"Yeah?" he asked her.

"Remember... the night the verdict came in?" she stood up as well. "What you said to me about... always wanting something that's just yours and not Harry's?"

Ron nodded. "What about it?"

"Well..." Luna let out a nervous laugh. "I don't know exactly if this is the appropriate time to bring this up but um... I was never Harry's..." she tucked her hair behind her ear. "And I'd be yours... if you wanted me." she flushed deeply.

"W-what?" he stammered.

"I understand if you don't feel it but I just had to say it," Luna said in a rush.

In the back of his head, he could hear Ginny's words.

"I think we should go inside," he said looking away from her. "I need to check on my mum."

"Of course," she said, obviously disappointed. "I'll um... I'll be inside in just a moment." Luna turned away, not wanting him to see her cry.

Ron nodded and hurried into the house.

Luna sat down hard on the swing and drew in several deep breaths, trying to control the sobs that threatened to overtake her.

Ron leaned against the kitchen door debating whether or not he should go back outside. He had been thrown by what she'd said. He knew that back in school, Luna had a crush on him, but he'd thought that had all been in the past. And these past few weeks, he'd come to see her as a really good friend. And the other day, he'd nearly kissed her, but Charlie had interrupted.

"What are you doing?" George asked, nearly making him jump out of his skin.

"Nothing," Ron said hastily. "Merlin, George!"

George shook his head before looking out the window. "Who's that on the swing?"

"Luna," Ron said quietly.

"Why aren't you out there with her?" George went to the icebox.

"Why would I be out there with her?" Ron asked trying to sound nonchalant.

"She's been here for you since Dad died," George was uncharacteristically serious.

"That's just because you know she's been through losing a parent and she's a friend," Ron said with a shrug. "Not as if she's my girlfriend or anything or someone I'd want to date or you know, anything like that. Just friends, and all that."

George raised his eyebrow. "Could you protest just a little bit more?" he asked sarcastically.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Ron said walking over to the icebox.

"If you say so," George headed back to the sitting room with a few butterbeers. "But any fool can see that girl cares about you Ronniekins, for reasons none of us can understand."

"I'm still in love with Hermione," Ron protested. "I can't just turn my feelings for her off, George."

"Funny," George replied bluntly. "Hermione never once looked at you the way Luna Lovegood does. And despite all the shit that's been going on around here, when she's around, you're much happier. I don't know why you can't see it."

Ron glared at his older brother. He hated it when George was right. "I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?" George asked.

"I left something outside," Ron said absently.

"Damn right you did," George headed back into the sitting room.

Ron was relieved to see Luna was still outside on the swing. "Luna--"

She stood up quickly. "I'm sorry- I didn't mean to just sit around here," she wiped at her eyes. "I won't bother you anymore."

"You're not bothering me," he said putting a hand on her arm.

Luna stood still, her eyes trained upon his hand.

"I shouldn't have just run out on you like I did," Ron said. "It's just what you said took me by surprise."

"I should have known it wasn't the right time," Luna stared down at the ground. "Too soon after Hermione and all..."

He tilted her chin up. "I do like you, Luna. You've been the one bright spot in all this for me."

Her eyes were even more luminous as they still swam with tears. "I have?"

He nodded. "I wouldn't have been able to get through any of it if you hadn't been around."

"Oh," Luna whispered. "I'm glad I could help."

"And I've just been betrayed by the two people I thought I could count on most in this world," Ron said. "And then you come along..."

"I may have a different opinion on things but I won't betray you," Luna said quietly.

"I never thought they would either," Ron said.

Luna didn't know what to say to that.

"I'm not so sure I'm ready to let someone in again," Ron admitted. "And I'm not saying that to hurt you, Luna. Really, I'm not."

"I understand," she felt relieved at his explanation- she'd thought he found her to be nothing more than a joke.

"I wouldn't ask you to wait--" Ron started to say.

"It's not as if anyone else is beating down my door," Luna said with a weak laugh.

"You're a beautiful, intelligent girl," Ron said touching her cheek. "Any bloke who doesn't see that is an idiot, me included."

Luna smiled tremulously. "Thank you," she said.

"And you could do a lot better than me," Ron said.

"I'll be the judge of that," Luna replied.

"So you want to come inside?" he asked. "Warm up, have some hot chocolate and we can eat some of those lemon biscuits."

"Sure," Luna said as he took her hand. "Thank you for coming back out here and telling me that."

"I'm an idiot," Ron reminded her. "It takes me awhile to get it."

"I like that quality in you," Luna replied as she picked up the tin of biscuits.

"You'd be the first," he said grinning at her.

*** *** ***

Hermione clutched the guidebook in her hand as Harry took her arm to lead her across the street.

"This really is an amazing city," Hermione said consulting the guidebook. "Did you know that some people considered this the 'Paris of America'?"

"That's nice," Harry said. "But if you don't get your nose out of that book, we're going to be hit by a car."

"Very funny," Hermione replied. "This book is going to help us find decent jobs."

"This place sure is humid," Harry said wiping some sweat from his brow. "We're definitely not in London anymore."

"Right Toto," Hermione said absently. "This place, the Crowne Vine Bed and Breakfast... it's supposed to be quite lovely and the newspaper said they were looking for a receptionist."

"You're a lawyer, Hermione," Harry said shaking his head. "You shouldn't be working as a receptionist."

"I can't very well bring up a Muggle legal background here now can I Harry?" Hermione stopped as they reached the sidewalk.

"No, I don't reckon you could," Harry said quietly. "Does that place have any other openings?"

"Hmmm..." Hermione looked at the newspaper while Harry peered over her shoulder. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm a good cook," Harry said. "Or I could be a waiter..."

"They have an opening for a chef," Hermione grinned at him.

"Great," Harry said smiling back at her. His eyes fell on her left hand. "Wait---there's something wrong..."

"What?" she asked curiously.

As luck would have it, there was a pawn shop right across the street. Harry grabbed Hermione's hand and ran across the street.

"Jack!" she exclaimed. "What---"

"Just follow my lead," he said over his shoulder. "Laura---"

"I'm not used to calling you that yet," she murmured.

"I know," he said holding open the door for her. "Come on, inside."

A heavyset man behind the counter nodded at them. "What can I help you with?" he asked gruffly.

"I need to buy a ring," Harry told the man.

"A ring?" Hermione exclaimed.

"Yes, Laura," Harry said. He looked at the man behind the counter. "My wife lost her wedding ring and we're a little short on cash..."

Hermione smiled lamely while glaring at Harry. He could have prepared her for something like this.

The man bent down and unlocked the glass case and pulled out a display of silver rings.

"You can any one of these for under twenty bucks," the man said.

"I'd like something with a stone in it," Harry said after a quick glance.

The man leaned down and pulled out another display.

"These are cubic zirconium."

"Diamond," Harry shook his head.

"Jack," Hermione whispered. "We can't afford that---"

"I've got it Laura," Harry gave her a quick kiss.

"Here you go," the man said getting another tray of rings out. "These are the best we have."

"Jack--" Hermione protested.

Harry nodded, ignoring Hermione's jabs in his side. "That one," he decided. "That's perfect."

"That's $150," the man said gruffly. "We don't take credit cards. That's cash."

"We don't have that much," Hermione hissed.

Harry took off his watch and handed it to the man. "How much could I get for this?"

"Jack, you can't sell your watch---" Hermione protested.

"Even trade," the man puffed on a cigar. "Take it or leave it."

"We'll take it," Harry replied. "You like the ring, right sweetheart?"

"Well of course but--" her protest was cut off.

"Thank you sir," Harry said taking the ring from the man. "Come on, Laura."

"You've got 60 days before I put that watch on display," the man said. "If you've got the cash before then it's yours."

"Thanks," Harry took the slip the man handed over and took Hermione's hand.

Hermione led him out of the shop. "Harry, this wasn't necessary---"

"You need a ring," he said firmly. "Otherwise how else are we supposed to be a married couple?"

"But you could have purchased one of the silver ones or one of the cheaper ones," Hermione said. "Harry, that's a real diamond! And you traded in your watch---"

"I can get it back- you heard him I have 60 days..." Harry picked up her left hand.

"You have gone completely mad," she said. "What are you doing---?" He knelt down and looked up at her. "This is how you're supposed to do it, right?"

"Ha-- Jack..." Hermione said. "You don't have to propose- we're already married..."

"Makes it seem more official though, doesn't it?" Harry asked slipping it on her finger. "What do you think?"

"It's a beautiful ring," she said softly.

He didn't tell her that someday he hoped to give her one even more beautiful. He hadn't told her a lot of things actually. For one thing, he hadn't mentioned how much he wanted to be with her. How last night, he'd woke up and watched her as she slept, revelling in the fact that she was beside him and they were both safe.

"Well let's go over to the hotel," she said after giving him a kiss. "We have to interview. It's a good thing we were able to get some nice clothes with the money Dennis gave us."

"Right," Harry said smiling at her. "We owe him a lot."

"When we get this all straightened out we'll do something nice for him," Hermione reached for his hand.

Harry smiled when he saw the old historical mansion. "This is a posh place, isn't it?" Harry asked her.

"Very," Hermione said impressively. The lobby was intimate and well lit with a few families sitting in the chairs scattered about. She allowed herself to dream for a moment, thinking about coming here with Harry on a real honeymoon. She wanted so badly for them to be together in every way but it just didn't seem to be the right time yet.

"Can I help you?" an immaculately dressed woman with a southern drawl asked from behind the desk. "Checking in?"

"Hello," Hermione smiled. "We're actually here to interview for the receptionist and chef positions we read about in here?" she held up the newspaper.

"Are you now?" the woman said giving them both the once over. "I'm Reese Boudreaux. And you would be?"

"Laura Edwards," Hermione replied. "And this is my husband, Jack."

"How nice," Reese said with a polite smile. "I'll need you to fill these out," she handed them several forms.

"Thank you," Hermione said.

"Are you citizens?" Reese asked.

Harry shook his head. "Not yet. We have work permits though."

"I'll need those and identification," Reese told them.

"Where can we fill these out?" Hermione asked.

"The restaurant is empty now," Reese told them. "You can sit down at one of the tables..."

"Thank you," Hermione smiled at her. "Thank you very much."

"I wish we were staying in a place as nice as this," Harry told her once they were seated in the restaurant.

"So do I," she said writing down her new name on the form.

Harry got to work on his own forms. None of the questions gave him pause until he saw the section of the form that asked for references.

"What do we do for these?" he asked Hermione in a whisper.

"We can put down Dennis and Luna's names," Hermione replied thoughtfully. "It's overseas and I doubt she'd give them a call."

"Right," Harry was relieved.

"And just so you know," Hermione said grinning at him. "You're my in case of emergency contact person."

Harry snorted back his laughter and wrote Hermione's real name and phone number back in the UK on his form.

They made quick work of the rest of their forms and returned them to Reese at the desk.

"Mr. Edwards, are you familiar with New Orleans cuisine?" Reese asked after looking over Harry's form. "Creole?"

"I can cook anything," Harry replied confidently.

"Vernon's Restaurant?" Reese asked quizzically. "This is where you received your training?"

"For seventeen years," Harry replied truthfully.

"You started young," Reese said nodding. "I like that."

Harry smiled. "I've always been ambitious. So's Laura- she's finishing law school."

"My son is in law school at Tulane," Reese said smiling at Hermione.

"I've just finished actually," Hermione said hastily. "And now we have loads of bills to pay..."

"Student loans," Reese said in understanding. "I can certainly sympathize with you there."

"Right," Hermione smiled. "I also work quite well with people- I'm very patient."

"It says here you're staying at the Budget Inn," Reese said. "You two don't have a permanent residence?"

"We've just arrived," Harry replied. "We don't want to rent, so we've got our things in storage until we find a place to buy."

Reese looked at the young couple. "Tell you what, I am willing to give you two a trial run. Sort of a probationary period."

This wasn't what Hermione wanted to hear but she nodded. "Okay... what are the terms?"

"We'll try you out for a week and see how you do," Reese explained. "If everything goes well, I'll hire you. Mr. Edwards, the kitchen staff is to report every morning at 5 a.m. Breakfast is our busiest time of the day. Can you start tomorrow?"

"Of course," Harry nodded.

"Good," Reese said smiling at him. "And Mrs. Edwards, we need someone to cover the morning-afternoon shift at the front desk. You can come in around the same time and I'll show you the computer and filing systems."

"Thank you," Hermione smiled. "Thank you so much Mrs. Boudreaux."

"You're welcome," Reese said. "I look forward to seeing you both tomorrow morning."

"Same here," Harry shook the woman's hand as did Hermione.

Reese excused herself to check on something else leaving Harry and Hermione alone.

"We did it," Hermione said grinning at Harry.

"We did," Harry swung her around and kissed her.

"Um, Jack?" Hermione asked when he set her down.

"Yeah?" he asked, still grinning.

"Let's go look at the river," she said excitedly. "Please?"

"You've seen the river," Harry chuckled.

"From the window of our hotel room," Hermione said hitting him on the arm. "Come on! It'll be fun!"

"All right," he wove their fingers together as they left the hotel.

Hermione took off her sandals and grinned at Harry.

He sat down and watched her as she walked near the edge of the water. Merlin he wanted her- he'd never seen her be so carefree and it was astounding she could be like this while they were hiding out from all their family and friends.

Hermione twirled around and laughed. "Come on, you big chicken! You don't want to get wet?"

"I'm fine up here," he chuckled at her behaviour.

"Come on," she said crooking her finger at him. "We just put our feet in the water."

"Fine," Harry discarded his shoes next to hers.

"I haven't had a chance to travel much since I started working at the Ministry," Hermione said. "I always envied you and Ron for being able to do that."

"It's more fun when you do it with someone you care about," he told her.

"You, um, well Ron always," Hermione stammered, unsure of how to broach the subject. "He always made it seem like---"

"Seem like what?" Harry asked.

Hermione bit her bottom lip. "That you had quite a few romances when you were on the road..."

"I met a few girls here and there," Harry shrugged. "No one serious."

"I've only been with one other person," Hermione said turning red. "I shouldn't have brought this up."

"It's okay," Harry squeezed her hand. "Hermione I don't know what Ron told you- but I know that he was suspicious of my feelings for you so he may have said a few things that weren't true. It doesn't matter anymore. We're together and we're going to STAY together now."

"Right," Hermione said smiling at him. "We ARE married, after all."

He laughed. "For better or worse."