Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thank you all SO much for your feedback on this story so far! We're both incredibly thrilled with the reviews and positive comments you guys have sent our way!

We wanted to answer a few questions that were common in the reviews- the flashback in the beginning of the first chapter was real- it was on Harry's mind, where it's been for quite some time ;) Also, the trio's ages are around 20-21 in this story, so that should give everyone a mental image.

As always, we hope you enjoy this chapter, and please let us know what you think. Thank you all!

Do You Want to Know A Secret?-The Beatles

Closer
Let me whisper in your ear
Say the words you long to hear
I'm in love with you

"So what do you want to eat tonight?" Draco drawled as Ginny slipped out of bed.

Ginny grinned at him over her shoulder. "I told you I have to go to my mum and dad's." She put on her dressing gown and sat back down on the bed.

"Gin..." he reached for her. "You know you'd rather stay here with me..."

"I would, but I've already cancelled on them three times this past month," she said shrugging out of his grasp. "Come on. If you get started, I'll be late."

Draco pulled her close again and nibbled at her ear. "Ginny..." he said in a husky tone that almost never failed to make her see things his way.

"Draco," she whispered, feeling her resolve fading. "I can't..."

Draco kissed under her ear, moving his lips over her neck.

If her parents or brothers could only see her now, she thought as she gave in and lay back down on the bed. They'd been together like this for quite some time and no one knew or had any idea. Draco had disappeared after Dumbledore's death and no one had seen nor heard from him. Ginny had found him just outside the gates of Hogwarts badly bruised and beaten. Instinct told her to run the other way, but something made her stay and help him. Over the next few months, she'd hidden him and helped him get well. They had now been together over a year and he was living in her flat.

"Stay with me," he murmured. Ginny was as important to him now as anything and she was really the only good thing in his life.

"We were together all afternoon," she reminded him. "And I promise I won't be gone long. I'll even bring you something from my mum's."

He wanted Ginny to stay with him but the promise of food made his stomach rumble. "All right," he said, pulling away.

"Someday, you'll be able to go with me," she said smiling at him, a dreamy expression on her face. "I've been thinking that maybe we could tell them. You're not the same---why are you laughing?"

"Gin," he smirked. "You don't really think your parents and brothers will accept me do you?"

"Not at first," she said. "But eventually..."

"Ron hates me," Draco pointed out.

"You hate him too," Ginny said folding her arms. "Which I don't understand. You're more alike than you think."

Draco roared with laughter. "That's a good one," he said, pulling on his boxers.

"You both like Quidditch," Ginny said. "And you both...well, you both...."

"Yeah," Draco rolled his eyes. "Sorry Gin... nothing's going to happen like that in the next century."

"If you hadn't been such a pompous arse when we were in school, maybe Harry and Ron would have liked you," Ginny said.

"Perfect Potter," Draco scoffed. "Your bloody hero."

This time, Ginny rolled her eyes. If there was a sore spot in their relationship, it would be Draco's insecurities about Harry. "He and I have been over for quite some time," she said with a sigh. "Besides he's all gaga over Hermione."

"Is he now?" Draco's eyes brightened. "And she's with your wanker of a brother... that's got to be interesting."

"He'd never do anything about it," Ginny said. "He's too noble for that. When I called him on it, he said I was mad and didn't know what I was talking about."

"And now you get to spend the evening with all of them." Draco smirked at her. "Have fun."

"Say what you want, but I am still holding out hope that one day you will go to the Burrow with me," Ginny said quickly slipping into her jeans and jumper. "And you'll be one of the family."

"Keep dreaming," Draco said sardonically. "I'm going to take a shower."

"Do I get a kiss goodbye?" she asked pouting at him.

"You sure you want one?" he asked lazily.

"Why wouldn't I?" she asked innocently.

Draco crossed the room and pulled her close, kissing her passionately.

"I love you," she said breathlessly when they pulled apart.

"Love you," he said, pecking her once more on the lips. "Guess I'll see you later."

Ginny nodded and walked over to the fireplace, a goofy grin on her face. She still wore that same look when she stood in her parents' sitting room brushing the soot from her jumper.

"And you would be?" Fred asked his sister.

"Shut up George," Ginny replied.

"Funny, Gin," Fred said giving her a hug. "You do remember that I'm the better looking twin, right?"

"Whatever," Ginny replied. "Are we eating yet?

"You sound like Ronniekins," Fred said. "He's in there with Mum trying to hurry her along."

"No, he's in there with Mum getting love advice," George corrected. "Poor bloke."

"Love advice for what?" Ginny asked. "Is he having trouble with Hermione?"

George guffawed. "There's an understatement."

"Did they break up?" Ginny asked interestedly.

"No, but Ron asked her to move in again and she said no," George replied.

"He doesn't know when to give up," Ginny rolled her eyes and straightened out her hair.

Arthur came in from the backyard and grinned when he saw his daughter. "There's my little girl!"

"Hi Dad," Ginny smiled at him.

"Ron tells me Harry's coming later," Arthur said giving her a hug.

"Oh," Ginny shrugged, not really caring.

"Perhaps the rest of us can leave and set up some candles for the young lovers," Fred said dramatically.

"Will you lot stop it?" Ginny rolled her eyes. "There's NOTHING going on between Harry and me."

Arthur smiled and patted her on the back. "Why don't we all go in the kitchen? I'm sure Molly's nearly finished."

"I'm starving," Ginny said.

The four of them went into the kitchen. Molly was setting a basket of rolls on the table. The twins immediately reached for it.

"No, you don't!" Molly said slapping their hands away.

"Mum!" they both howled in unison.

"Not until Harry and Hermione get here," Molly said firmly.

"Why isn't she with you Ronniekins?" George asked his brother.

"We sort of had a row," Ron said quietly sinking down in his chair.

"So what else is new?" Fred cackled.

"Don't you start on him," Molly said. "He and Hermione are just having a rough patch."

Ginny hugged her mother. "Smells great in here," she said.

"I hope you're hungry," Molly said grinning at her daughter. "I made all of your favourites."

"Can I take the extra home with me?" Ginny asked. "If Ron doesn't eat it all?"

"Of course you can," Molly said pleasantly. They heard voices coming from the sitting room and Molly squeezed her daughter's hand. "Harry's here!"

"Mum don't start," Ginny warned her.

Molly just winked at her as Harry and Hermione came into the kitchen, laughing.

"We'd about given up on you two," Arthur said pleasantly.

"Sorry," Hermione said. "Harry decided he needed to use all the hot water in my flat."

"I wasn't in there that long," Harry said defensively.

"You went back to Hermione's flat?" Ron asked quietly.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Otherwise we'd have been another hour if I had to go home."

Ginny smirked as she sat down beside her brother.

"Right," Ron said nodding. "Well, I'm glad you could make it. Both of you."

Hermione went around and sat next to him at the table. "I'm sorry about earlier," she said quietly to him. "I'm just under a bit of stress lately..."

"Me too," Ron said giving her a kiss. "You look beautiful by the way."

Ginny smiled at Harry as he sat down across from her. She'd seen him purposefully look away when Ron kissed Hermione. "Something wrong, Harry?"

"Nothing," he said. "How are you Ginny?"

"I'm quite well," she said helping herself to some vegetables.

"She looks lovely tonight, doesn't she?" Molly asked from behind Harry.

"Mum!" Ginny hissed.

"She does look pretty," Harry said uncomfortably.

Molly beamed at him. "You can sit over by her if you want."

"I'm fine right here," Harry said. "Really. No need to move."

"Everything looks so delicious," Hermione said to Molly to divert her attention away from Harry.

"Thank you dear," Molly said to her. "Help yourself- and I want to see you eat up! You're looking entirely too thin these days Hermione."

"I think she looks great," Ron said grinning at his girlfriend.

"I've been really busy," Hermione said. "I was telling Harry and Ron earlier, I can't stay too late tonight- I have opening statements for a big case tomorrow."

"Another bleeding heart case?" Ginny asked not realising she'd said it out loud.

"A what?" Ron asked his sister.

"Yes, what did you mean by that?" Hermione asked pointedly.

"Uh..." Ginny looked at Harry for help.

"She thinks this is another 'cry me a river' type case," Hermione said coldly. Ginny had been awfully snarky to her over the past few months and she was frankly getting quite tired of it. "I won't bore you with the details, Ginny. But there are some people out there who need to be brought to justice."

Ginny looked back down at her plate. "Sorry for being curious," she muttered.

"I'm sure Ginny didn't mean anything by it," Molly said.

"Right," Ron nodded, casting his girlfriend a dark look.

"Why don't we all tuck in for dinner?" Arthur suggested.

"Good idea," Harry said, wanting to steer the conversation away from the current topic.

Fred and George did what they did best, centred the conversation around themselves. They told everyone stories about some of their nuttiest customers.

By the end of the supper, everyone was stuffed and laughing at the redheaded twins.

Molly stood up to get the dessert.

Ron put his arm around Hermione. "So, I know you said you had to prepare for your case, but you know when we fight we have to...."

"Please don't finish that sentence," Fred interjected. "We don't need to know about that."

"Really," Harry added without realising it.

Hermione blushed. "Really, Ron."

"What?" Ron asked with a large grin.

"Don't talk about stuff like that in front of your family," Hermione whispered.

"They know we do it," Ron said laughing.

"Ron!" Hermione kicked his leg. "Stop it."

"Or you might not be doing IT anymore," Fred cackled.

"That' really gross," Ginny complained. "Could we talk about something else please?"

"Yes please," Harry agreed.

"Here's dessert," Molly chirped brightly, coming back into the dining room.

Hermione looked at Ron. "Do you think you and I could have a quick word in the other room?"

"Sure," Ron winked, thinking Hermione was giving in.

Hermione grabbed his arm and practically pulled him out of the kitchen. She rounded on him the moment they were alone. "Do you ever stop to think before you speak?"

"What?" Ron was confused. "What are you talking about?" he reached for her but she pulled away.

"Talking about our sex life in front of your parents!" she hissed.

"They all know about it," Ron replied with a long suffering sigh.

"I don't want them to know about it!" Hermione said hitting him on the arm. "And not just in front of your parents! Your brothers and sister. And Harry for Merlin's sake!"

"I tell Harry everything," Ron replied with a confused look. "Hermione why is this suddenly such a big deal?"

"Because it is," Hermione said with a sigh. "That's private, Ron. That's between you and me."

"Hermione--" Ron began.

"You never understand," she said shaking her head.

"You're too picky," Ron said defensively. "You act as if everything I say and do is wrong!"

"I do not," she protested.

"If I was Harry you'd probably be telling everyone every bloody detail," Ron said furiously. "You think he does no wrong."

"Harry has nothing to do with this," Hermione said staring at Ron in disbelief.

"Sure," Ron snapped.

"This isn't about him," she said. "This is about you and me. Something's wrong, Ron. We're fighting more than we usually do."

"Only because you work all the time," Ron said defensively. "And you never spend time with me."

"My job is important to me," she said. "It's as important to me as yours is to you. We've both been busy, Ron. But it won't always be this way."

"Damn right it won't be," Ron said angrily.

"Maybe...maybe we need to take a break," Hermione said quietly. "To see if this is what we both want."

Ron stared at her. "That's exactly what you've been hoping for isn't it?"

Hermione shook her head. "Of course not, Ron."

"You're never willing to work things out," Ron argued. "It's always your way or no way."

"You're the same way," Hermione said angrily. "You don't know the meaning of the word compromise."

"I do too!" Ron snapped.

In the kitchen, the others were trying not to listen, but Ron and Hermione's raised voices made that difficult.

Arthur grabbed Fred and George and forced them to go outside with him. Molly busied herself with cleaning up the kitchen leaving Ginny and Harry.

"Think this will be it?" Ginny asked him. "The big break up?"

"Who knows," Harry shook his head.

"Be good for you, wouldn't it?" Ginny asked point blank.

"What are you talking about?" Harry asked, shooting her a dirty look.

"Come on now," Ginny said in a hushed tone so her mother wouldn't hear. "It's painfully obvious to everyone."

Harry refused to play into Ginny's trap.

"I saw you that night, you know," Ginny said looking at him. "That night you left to fight Voldemort."

"What are you talking about?" Harry snapped.

"You were going to leave in the middle of the night," Ginny said. "Hermione and I were sharing a room. I heard her get up and I wanted to make sure she was okay."

Harry got up and went over by the window. "You didn't see anything," he said evenly.

"I saw her kiss you," Ginny said following him. "And you didn't exactly push her away, did you?"

"That is none of your business," Harry replied.

"What is that exactly?" Ginny asked smiling sweetly at him.

Harry raised his eyebrow and glared at her pointedly.

"I never told anyone," Ginny said. "I never even told Hermione I saw it. But I did hear her crying in her sleep when she came back into the room. And how she hardly ate or slept the entire time you were away. Or how when you came back, near death, she sat by your bed, holding your hand...."

Harry sighed. "Look--" he began but was interrupted by Ron storming back in the room.

"Hiya, Ron," Ginny said.

Ron glared at Harry before grabbing his jumper. "I'm out of here," he snapped.

"What happened?" Harry asked ignoring Ginny's smug expression. "Ron--"

"I hope you're satisfied," was Ron's only response before stomping out.

"Who you going to go after?" Ginny asked. "Your best mate or your best girl?"

Harry shot her another dirty look. "Ginny, why do you even care?"

Ginny just smiled. "I think I'll just grab my leftovers and go. Give Hermione my regards."

Harry rolled his eyes before heading into the sitting room where he thought Hermione would still be sitting.

She had Flooed back to her flat after Ron had stormed out. There was no way she could have gone back into that kitchen after what Ron had said to her.

"Bloody insensitive sod!" Hermione hit the counter with her fist.

There was a knock on her door and she rolled her eyes. "Go away, Ron!" she called out.

"It's me, Hermione," Harry called back.

Hermione unlocked the door. "If you've come here to defend him--" she began.

"I don't even know what happened," Harry said holding up his hands. "He said something about how he hoped I was satisfied and then he left."

Hermione rubbed her temples. "We broke up."

"Hermione---"

"It wasn't you," Hermione held up a hand. "It was a long time coming."

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Fine," she answered. "I just feel bad for running out on the rest of the Weasleys. Well except for Ginny," she rolled her eyes.

"Yeah," Harry nodded stepping into the flat and shutting the door behind him. "She was in rare form tonight."

"Bleeding heart case," Hermione fumed. "As if she cares!"

Harry contemplated telling her about what Ginny had told him, but he and Hermione had never spoken about that night.

"Kind of makes you wish we'd stayed at the pub, doesn't it?" Harry joked.

Hermione smiled weakly. "Sounds loads better than that dinner."

"You want to talk about it?" he asked her.

"Not really," Hermione said bluntly.

"Want to get pissed?" he asked knowing that she'd probably say no since she had a big day tomorrow.

She laughed at that. "Wish I could," she replied.

"I'll still be there tomorrow," he promised. "Front row."

"Thanks Harry," she said. "I appreciate the support."

"You and Ron will get past this," he said encouragingly. "You guys have broken up loads of times before."

"I don't know," she said, folding her arms. "This time it's different."

"Why?" Harry asked.

"I just don't know if it's worth it anymore." Hermione said softly.

"He loves you, Hermione," Harry said. "He always has."

"He doesn't love me," Hermione replied. "I'm like his bloody prize. He got the smartest girl at Hogwarts. He proved to everyone that he was the stud of the school." she rolled her eyes. "I'm sick of always bending to what he wants. I'm sick of his cluelessness when it comes to talking about things like sex."

Harry had never been comfortable talking about Ron and Hermione and them having a sex life. It was something he knew had to happen, but he certainly didn't want to talk about it or think about it. "You----you used to find that endearing," he said trying to be loyal to his best friend.

"I used to pretend to find that endearing," Hermione corrected.

Harry gaped at her in surprise.

Hermione stared back at him, her face set and her eyes unblinking. "What?"

"You pretended?" he asked. "But you used to---"

"Used to what?" she snapped.

"I just didn't think you were pretending is all," Harry said quietly.

"I guess you don't know me as well as you always claimed to," she said coolly, folding her arms.

"How did this suddenly turn to me?" Harry asked. "Hermione, I didn't mean anything by it."

She softened her stance. "I'm sorry," she said, sitting down on the sofa.

He sat down beside her. "It's okay."

Hermione leaned against him. "I don't want to lose my friendship with Ron." she said. "But I don't think he and I are cut out for a relationship."

Harry put his arm around her. "Give him a couple of days to cool off. I'll talk to him for you, if you want."

She shook her head. "That's all right Harry."

"I feel a little like the little kid who's dealing with divorced parents," Harry said wanting to make her laugh. "You and Ron aren't going to make me have visitation weekends, are you?"

She smiled. "No you goof."

"Goof?" Harry asked nudging her.

"You're a huge goof," Hermione elbowed him back.

"I am very suave and debonair," Harry said tickling her. "Not a goof at all."

"Please," she said laughing. "You are not suave and debonair."

"What was it you told me once?" he asked. "That I had never been more fanciable? Was that because I was a goof?"

"I was hormonal," Hermione replied quickly.

"Hormonal?" he asked clutching his heart. "So I wasn't fanciable?"

"I suppose you were, just a bit." she conceded.

"Were," Harry said raising an eyebrow. "Past tense?"

Hermione jumped up when he reached for her again. "I don't think so Harry."

"You forget, Granger," Harry said a gleam in his eye. "I was the youngest seeker in a century...."

"That's not very impressive," Hermione backed away, laughing.

"Famous last words," he said reaching for her again.

"Harry!" she squealed.

He managed to grab onto her, but tripped in the process causing them both to fall to the ground.

"I never said I was graceful," he said laughing. "Are you okay?"

"Fine," she said. "Except I think I'll be limping tomorrow if you don't get off my leg."

"Wuss," he replied, pushing himself off her.

"Klutz," she said in return.

"Kick a man when he's down," he said offering her his hand and pulling her up.

"We wouldn't be down if it wasn't for you," Hermione's eyes were twinkling.

"You started it," he pointed out. "By calling me a goof."

"I only tell the truth," Hermione said loftily.

"Right," Harry said chucking her on the chin. "Well, I'd better go so you can look over your case notes. You going to be okay?"

"I'm fine," she nodded. "Loads of work to do."

"What time should I be there tomorrow?" he asked.

"It starts at nine," Hermione said. "You should get there early to get a pass to be inside."

"You're going to be brilliant," he said giving her a hug.

Hermione pecked his cheek. "Thanks Harry."

"Get some sleep," he said grinning at her. "This girl I know tells me that sometimes that can make all the difference in the world."

"Smart girl," Hermione grinned at him.

*** *** ***

The next morning Harry got to the office early to get some paperwork done before he took off for Hermione's case. He'd been working in the quiet office for about an hour and was getting ready to leave for the courthouse when Ron stormed in.

"You certainly know how to rub it in, don't you?" Ron asked throwing the paper down on the desk. "Teague signed another two-year contract!"

"What?" Harry asked "No one told me about this!"

"Nice try," Ron said angrily. "You own the bloody team. How could you not know?"

"No one told me," Harry snapped. "I just got here an hour ago."

"You said he was going to retire," Ron said glaring at him. "You said that spot was going to me! But once again, you sweep in and take it away from me. Not enough that you have my girlfriend..."

"Ron shut up," Harry said irritably. "It's not my fault you and Hermione broke up."

"Bollocks," Ron said bitterly.

"You're not going to listen to reason, obviously." Harry said. "And I have to go."

"Where?" Ron asked. "Hermione's?"

"No," Harry said sharply. "Her case starts in a half hour."

"That's today?" Ron asked. With everything that had happened, he'd forgotten all about it.

"Yes, she told us that last night." Harry said tiredly.

Ron nodded. "Did you go over to hers last night then? After I left?"

"Yes," Harry replied warily.

"I should have known," Ron said shaking his head. "You know you're my best friend too."

"Yes I know," Harry said tightly. "I didn't realise you wanted to cry on my shoulder."

"No, last night I wanted to punch your lights out," Ron admitted.

Harry rolled his eyes. "I've got to go," he said impatiently. "I'll see you later once you've cooled down."

"You...um...you think I should go?" Ron asked. No matter what had happened between him and Hermione, he had promised he would be there.

"If you want to," Harry said. "I have to go now and get a pass, so if you're going to go, you'd best be there soon."

"I'll come with, if you don't mind," Ron said.

"Sure," Harry replied. "I'm sure it'd mean a lot to Hermione if she had you there."

"Not as much as you, though," Ron said his tone sad.

Harry chose not to answer that as he locked his office door.

"How would you feel if you had a girlfriend and she was my friend too," Ron said following Harry down the hall. "And she thought I could do no wrong and that you were complete shite in everything you did or said."

"Hermione never thought that Ron," Harry said, wishing Ron would let this go.

"Right," Ron said. "Whenever I do something wrong, who does she go running to? And who is it that is all too willing to come to her rescue? Do you have to be so bloody perfect all the time?"

"I am not fucking perfect," Harry snapped. "This is not the time or the place for this Ron!"

Ron was silent the rest of the journey to the Ministry. They checked in with the main office and made their way down to the courtroom.

"Hi Harry," a blonde girl said to Harry as they walked into the courtroom. She carried a quill and a notebook.

"Hi Luna," Harry said sitting down beside her.

"Luna?" Ron asked.

"Luna Lovegood," the blonde said, gazing at him with her pale blue eyes. "And you're Ronald Weasley."

"I know you already," Ron said not realising what she was doing.

"You do?" she asked brightly.

"Well, yeah," Ron said with a shrug. "We didn't talk much though. I mean I always thought you were a bit daft."

"Ron," Harry snapped. "Luna's not daft."

"She was a bit," Ron said sheepishly. "Sorry, but you were, Luna."

Harry glared at him before turning away.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Ron asked curiously. "You're not one of Hermione's friends."

"I work for Daddy's paper," Luna explained, her gaze still fastened on him. "Remember he owns the Quibbler?"

"Oh," Ron said nodding. "You don't really have much on Quidditch in there, so I don't get to read that one as much as the Prophet or Quidditch Weekly."

"I can put more in there," Luna tucked a lock of hair behind her ear, revealing a long dangling radish hanging from her earlobe.

"I still think you were one of the best announcers we ever had," Ron said remembering that time during his sixth year when Luna had tried out for announcer. "Pity it didn't last more than one match."

"That was awfully fun," Luna smiled dreamily at him.

A stern looking wizard dressed in black robes stood at the front of the room and asked that everyone be silent as the trial was about to begin.

Harry saw Hermione come into the room and gave her a smile. She was obviously surprised to see Ron sitting next to him.

She looked away and began going over some last minute details with her colleague.

Luna began scribbling some notes in her book as Harry pulled off his cloak. It was warm in the room and he fanned himself with his pass.

Hermione felt a nervous pang in her stomach as the judges were led into the room. She'd argued a few cases before, but this was the biggest of her career.

In that moment she could almost feel Harry's hand giving her shoulder a comforting squeeze. She heard his voice in her head telling her to relax and she'd do just fine.

"Miss Granger, are you ready to begin?" the lead judge asked.

"Yes Your Honour," Hermione said as she rose. She launched into her speech, remembering her key points and keeping her voice calm and steady.

Harry and Ron exchanged a proud look, momentarily forgetting their argument and any hard feelings.

"Lovely," Luna murmured, writing furiously.

As Hermione turned to sit back down, she caught Harry's eye.

He winked at her, making her smile.

Ron resisted the urge to stand up and applaud. Hermione was without a doubt the smartest person he knew and he knew that the defence would have a hard time defeating the stubborn, intelligent witch.

Hermione had obviously thrown the opposition off as he began his opening statement with a stutter.

Hermione scribbled some notes down as he spoke, jotting down some points she hoped to refute.

"She's doing great," Harry whispered to Ron.

"Brilliant," Ron whispered back. "As usual."

The case went on for a few hours after that, finally breaking for a recess around noon. "Brilliant job," Hermione's colleague and partner, Jacob Wentworth told her.

"Thanks," she said smiling at him. "You going to be ready for that first witness after the recess?"

"Absolutely," he told her. "I'm going to go over my notes right now."

"I'm just going to say hello to some of my friends," she said pushing back in her chair.

"You did a great job," Harry said admiringly as she approached them. "I'm very impressed."

She grinned. "Thanks. I'm so glad you both could be here. I couldn't imagine going through this without you."

"You're glad I'm here too?" Ron asked hopefully.

She nodded. "You're my best friends no matter what."

The smile on Ron's face dropped a bit at that sentence.

"That was a lovely opening statement," Luna told Hermione.

"Thank you, Luna," Hermione said. She'd never been quite sure what to make of the younger girl, but she'd been a big help to them all during the war. "I appreciate that."

"I'm writing about this article in the Quibbler," she told Hermione. "Any exclusives you can give me would be quite fantastic."

"I have some free time this afternoon," Hermione said. "If you want to get together then, I'd be happy to talk with you. I'll ask Jacob, my co-counsel."

"Thank you," Luna said delightedly.

"I-I'm sorry about last night," Ron said weakly.

"It's okay," Hermione said a bit uncomfortably.

"You're on lunch now, aren't you?" Ron asked. "Perhaps, we could have a quick chat, maybe try and work things out. Just the two of us." He finished his statement with a pointed look at Harry.

"I am but I still have work to do," Hermione replied, crossing her arms. She had noticed his quick glare at Harry.

"Dinner perhaps?" Ron asked.

"Ron..." Hermione pulled him away from the main part of the room. "Last night I was serious when I said we should take a break."

"I know," Ron said. "But that doesn't mean you and I can't get together for dinner, can it?"

"It does actually," Hermione sighed. "Ron I think it's best if we don't see each other for awhile. I appreciate you coming here today, I really do. But I don't think it's a good idea for us to see each other privately."

Ron looked at if Hermione had just slapped him.

"Right," he said nodding. "Right, I'll just go then."

"Ron," she said, rubbing her forehead. "Don't be like this."

"Good luck with the rest of your case," he said quietly before turning on his heel and walking out of the courtroom.

"I think he's a little upset," Luna commented to Harry.

"He and Hermione broke up last night," Harry said, glancing at his female best friend. "I don't think they'll work it out this time either."

"You never know," Luna said softly.

"Aye I suppose you're right," he said. "Well I'm sure Hermione has to stick around here, so how about you let me treat you to lunch?"

"That would be fantastic," Luna said smiling at him. "I'm actually quite hungry. I was so excited about today, I forgot to eat breakfast."

Harry grinned at her. "Well all right then. You pick the place Ms. Lovegood." he offered her his arm.

Luna giggled and took his arm and together they walked out of the room.

Hermione watched them go, a small smile on her face. Luna Lovegood had always struck her as odd, but now she thought the girl was also rather nice as well.

Her thoughts soon turned back to Ron and she wondered if perhaps she had been a little harsh with him. She did truly believe that they needed some space.

"Hermione?" Jacob interrupted her. "Would you look over these questions for the witness?"

"Of course," she replied sitting down again.

"I thought we could start with that one- you know, nail him to the wall," Jacob said.

"He is their strongest witness," Hermione commented. "But I think these questions just might trip him up."

"Great," Jacob replied. "Can't wait to get started."

"We should probably grab a sandwich," Hermione suggested. "And go over these."

"Sounds good to me," Jacob agreed. "I heard the cafeteria here isn't so bad."

"Come on then," Hermione said gathering up her notes. "Let's go."

Luna and Harry had also decided to eat their lunch in the Ministry cafeteria.

"You like writing then?" Harry asked conversationally. He was eager to get his mind off of the whole Hermione and Ron situation.

"It's what I've always wanted to do," Luna said, gazing at her notepad. "Daddy says I have a knack for it. Of course, I prefer to write about Snorkacks and Nargles..."

"I remember reading that article you wrote about having a Cornish pixie for a pet," Harry said with a laugh. "I didn't even know people would want to do that."

"Oh they're actually quite intelligent," Luna focused her eyes on him. "They're lovely creatures."

"I still have bad memories from the time Lockhart set them loose in our class during second year," Harry said.

"If I had been there I'd have kept one," Luna said, fingering one of her radish earrings.

"You are one of a kind, Luna," Harry said smiling at her.

"Thank you," Luna beamed at him. "I like when people tell me that."

"You know I never really had the chance to thank you for what you did for me during the war," he said. "I was a little out of it when I got back."

"You're welcome," Luna said. "You did a lot for me too, while we were at school. That time during my fifth year when we went to that party together was one of the best nights of my life."

"Really?" he asked taken aback.

"Oh yes," Luna nodded. "I had so much fun."

"It seems like a lifetime ago," Harry admitted.

"Many things have changed since then," Luna finished her chips.

Harry looked up to see Hermione and her colleague walk into the cafeteria. She didn't see him and no doubt was going to go over questions or something and wouldn't have been much company. Luna followed his gaze.

"So if she's not with Ronald," Luna said, her eyes going dreamy. "Maybe you should ask her out."

Harry nearly choked on his drink. "I beg your pardon?"

"You fancy her don't you?" Luna asked bluntly.

"What?" Harry asked looking back down at his plate. "We're just friends."

"If Ronald's free maybe I'll see if he'll let me interview him at dinner one night," Luna rested her chin on her hand.

Harry had always suspected Luna had a crush on Ron, but he'd assumed that had ended. "So, you fancy Ron then?"

"He's quite dreamy," Luna nodded.

"I'd put in a good word for you, but I don't think it would count for much with him," Harry said quietly.

"Thank you Harry, but I'd rather him like me in my own way," Luna told him.

"I can certainly respect that," Harry said smiling at her. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course," Luna smiled back.

"Why would you ask if I fancy Hermione?" he asked.

"Because of the way you look at her," Luna answered. "And the way you're always there with her. And because of how Ronald is jealous about your friendship with her."

Harry wondered if perhaps he should give the standard answer he'd given to everyone who'd asked him how he felt about Hermione. But he had a feeling that Luna would see right through that. "It's that obvious?"

"To me," Luna replied. "But I'm smarter than most people."

"Yes you are," he said nodding. "Any idea of how to get myself out of this mess then? Because if I were to make a move on Hermione, Ron would never forgive me. You saw him in the courtroom today."

"You should wait until things cool down," Luna said wisely. "Wait until Ronald has someone new."

Harry frowned. "Somehow, I don't think that would lessen the blow for him."

"He'd get over it in time," Luna said.

"You have met him, haven't you?" Harry asked. "Ron likes to hold a grudge."

"But now that we're older he might loosen up," Luna said. "I bet I could get him to have a good time if he gave me the chance."

Harry didn't have the heart to tell her that he didn't think that would happen. "Maybe..."

"We should probably get back," Luna said. "I'd like to sit near the front again."

"Right," Harry said nodding. "I need to get back to the office actually."

"You're not sticking around?" Luna asked.

"I'd like to, but I have meetings," he said. "I'm going to go and say goodbye to Hermione."

"Thank you for lunch," the blonde said happily. "We should do it again sometime Harry."

"Yes we should," Harry said smiling back at her. "I'll see you soon, Luna."

He walked over to the table in the back where Hermione was sitting with Jacob.

"Hiya Harry," Hermione said brightly. "You remember Jacob, right?"

"Of course," Harry shook the other man's hand. "Good to see you again."

Jacob nodded and excused himself to go and get a cup of coffee.

"Did you and Luna have a nice lunch?" Hermione asked when they were alone.

"We did," Harry nodded. "She's a nice person."

Hermione smiled. "She is. I look forward to our interview later."

"You used to really dislike her," Harry teased.

"That's not true," Hermione said defensively. "I just never knew what to make of her. She was a bit odd is all."

"She fancies Ron," Harry said, wondering how Hermione would react to this.

"Really?" Hermione asked with a grin. "I always suspected that. I used to catch her looking at him in the Great Hall."

"That doesn't bother you?" Harry asked, his hope flaring just a bit. He had never, ever discussed how he felt about Hermione to another soul. Even the kiss they had shared the night he left to fight had gone un-discussed after he got back.

She shook her head. "I imagine if he had someone else, perhaps we could still be friends. He asked me to lunch upstairs and I told him I didn't think it would be a good idea. He took it the wrong way, of course. I don't know what to do, Harry."

"Sounds like you both just need some time apart," Harry told her.

"I know," Hermione said softly. "I'm sorry you're in the middle like this."

"I'm sort of used to it," Harry gave her a crooked grin.

Hermione gave him a hug. "I can't tell you what it meant for me to have you here today."

Harry smiled. "I was glad to be there Hermione. I just wish I could stay longer."

"Have to get back to work?" she asked.

"I have a load of meetings, unfortunately." Harry said as she pulled away.

Hermione nodded. "I understand."

"I'll try to come again another day," Harry said. "You tell me a good day and I'll be here all right?"

"I will," she said squeezing his hand. "You go and be all official and important."

"Oh yes," Harry rolled his eyes. "My big important job as a Quidditch team owner." he leaned over and kissed her cheek.

She laughed. "I'll owl you later, okay?"

"Right," Harry said, squeezing her hand before he left.

Hermione watched him go and she brought her hand to her cheek.

"I got you some coffee," Jacob said, sitting down. "Hermione?"

"Hmmm?" she asked breaking out of her reverie.

"You all right?" he peered at her.

"Yes, of course," she said sitting back down. "Thanks."

"What about this last set of questions?" he slid a piece of parchment her way.

Hermione picked up the piece of parchment and scanned it quickly. "I think these are great. You might want to ask that second one more toward the end though."

"Right," Jacob scribbled a few things down. "All right, I think we're ready."

They quickly packed up their books and notes and Hermione was glad that she had this case to keep her occupied.