Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks for the amazing response we received last chapter. You guys really are the best! Please read and review!

Chapter 10

Bridge Over Troubled Water

When you're weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
I'm on your side. When times get rough
And friends just can't be found,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.

When you're down and out,
When you're on the street,
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you.
I'll take your part.
When darkness comes
And pain is all around,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.

(Simon & Garfunkel-Bridge Over Troubled Water)

The next morning at a quarter to nine, Hermione found herself waiting inside the courtroom. Her palms were clammy and she was so nervous she was shaking. After Dennis had dropped off the portkey and new identification the previous night, she had been so terrified of what would happen that day she'd been sick.

"Please let this work," she prayed silently.

The guards led Harry into the courtroom and he didn't look at Hermione. Last night, he'd refused all visitors and it seemed as if he was mentally and physically trying to prepare himself for Azkaban.

Hermione turned and glared at the people who were whispering behind them. "Have some respect," she hissed.

"Murderer!" someone called out. Harry didn't flinch or move. He sat down in his chair and stared straight ahead.

Hermione sat back down next to him. "It's all going to be okay Harry," she whispered, her voice shaking.

"I don't want you to appeal the case," Harry told her quietly.

"Harry--" she protested.

"It won't do any good," he said finally turning and looking at her. "We tried, okay? Just let it go. Let me go."

"No," Hermione shook her head. "Never."

"I don't want you wasting your life on me, okay?" Harry said. "Please, just do this one thing for me."

"I can't," Hermione said. "You mean too much to me to just let you go to Azkaban without a fight."

Harry turned away and waited for the judge.

A commotion was heard at the back of the room and Hermione turned to see the Weasleys enter. Her eyes met Ron's.

He gave her a slight smile before sitting down in between his mother and sister.

Hermione felt slightly buoyed by this. "Harry I don't think Ron's angry with us," she whispered to him.

Harry sat stock still as if he hadn't heard a word she'd said.

"Harry don't ignore me," she said a bit desperately. "Don't do this!"

"It's done," he said. He didn't want to give her any false hope. The last thing he wanted was for her to waste her life trying to get him out of this. He knew that an appeal would take years.

"Nothing is done," she said a bit angrily. "Don't you dare lose faith in me Harry James."

Thankfully, the judge finally entered the courtroom. He felt Hermione take his hand underneath the table and he tried to pull away, but he couldn't.

"Just trust me Harry," she whispered as they rose. "Trust me..."

"Harry James Potter," the judge said. "You have been found guilty for the murder of one Arthur Weasley. A jury of your peers has found you guilty. As you know, the prosecution has recommended a life sentence in Azkaban. Before I deliver your sentence, I will give you the opportunity to say a few words. Miss Granger? Is there something you would like to say beforehand?"

"No Your Honour," Hermione said, her voice strained.

"Mr. Potter?" the judge asked. "Do you have anything you'd like to say?"

Harry shook his head wordlessly.

The judge nodded. "Mr. Potter, you are hereby sentenced to life in Azkaban prison. You will have a few moments to say your goodbyes to your loved ones. Court dismissed."

Hermione's heart began to pound as she reached into her pocket for the wrapper that Dennis had transfigured into a portkey.

"Thank you," Harry said turning to look at Hermione. He was trying so hard to keep his own emotions in check. This was the last time he'd ever see her. She held out something to him. "What's this?"

"It's for you," she said, tears in her eyes. "Just take it."

"Hermione," Harry said softly. She held it out to him again. His own hands were shaking as he reached for the wrapper.

Another uproar arose in the classroom, this time much louder as Harry and Hermione both disappeared into thin air.

Harry didn't know what was going on. One moment, he was preparing to say goodbye to the love of his life and then he felt that familiar pull.

They whirled through the air, clutching onto each other until they both fell onto the floor of a hotel room. "It worked," Hermione breathed.

"What worked?" Harry asked her as he got to his feet. "What's going on? Where the hell are we?"

"Harry," Hermione also stood up. "We're in New Orleans."

"Hermione---"

"I had to get you out of there," Hermione grabbed his hands. "Harry you didn't kill Arthur and I couldn't let you go to Azkaban for it."

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed. "Listen to yourself! Who are you?"

"Harry I've just saved your life!" she said defensively. "You would never have survived in Azkaban!"

"If we get caught," Harry said angrily. "You'll go to Azkaban, Hermione! I want you to go back now. Tell them that you had no idea I was going to do this and---"

"No," she shook her head. "No one knows where we are."

"I can't let you do this," Harry said quietly.

"I already did," Hermione said defiantly.

Harry stepped away from her and walked over to the window. He peered out at the city below and sighed.

"Harry I did this because I love you," Hermione's voice was shaking. "We're going to find out who really did this and you're going to be set free."

She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his waist. He felt his resolve melting away at her closeness.

"Please don't be angry with me," Hermione said burying her face into his chest.

He wrapped his own arms around her and kissed the top of her head. "I never thought I'd see you again after today."

"You're going to see me every day," Hermione said. "Every day, and every night."

"If anything happens to you, I'll never forgive myself," Harry said.

"Nothing will," Hermione promised. "Together we're going to figure this out. Luna's going to help us."

"What did I do to deserve you?" he asked cupping her face in his hands.

She smiled at him through her tears. "Kiss me," she asked softly.

Harry pulled her close and claimed her lips in a passionate kiss.

"This is the way it was supposed to be," she said between kisses.

"Snogging in a hotel room?" he asked her.

"Just us being together," Hermione closed her eyes.

"It's my fault we weren't always like this," he said resting his forehead against hers. "I was an idiot. And those other women, Hermione...they didn't mean anything."

"I know," she said. "And I never felt about Ron the way I feel about you."

He kissed her again. "You're really here with me."

"I am," she smiled.

"So---" Harry said squeezing her hand.

"What?" she asked softly.

"What's next?" he asked. "We stay here? We get jobs? What?"

"I'm not sure yet," she answered. "We'll have to owl Luna to find out what's going on in England."

"I imagine all hell is breaking loose," Harry mused.

Indeed, that was exactly what was happening. Ron was beside himself with anger while the prosecution was practically foaming at the mouth.

"How could they just have disappeared like that?" Ron asked Luna. "I don't understand..."

"I don't know either," Luna lied uneasily.

"They should have prepared for something like this!" Ron said hotly, glaring at the guards who were examining the defence table. "He's the bloody Boy-Who-Lived!"

"Ron," Luna tried to get him to calm down. "They'll figure this out."

Ron saw Neville, Dean and Seamus sitting in the back of the courtroom. He pushed past the crowd.

"Which one of you did it?" Ron asked rounding on them. "Which one of you helped him? Neville?"

"Hey," Neville frowned. "What's your problem Ron?"

"My problem, Longbottom," Ron said coldly. "Is that the man who murdered my father just disappeared into thin air. He didn't do this by himself."

"Ease up, Ron," Seamus said getting in his face. "You know we didn't do this."

"Ron please don't," Molly's face was ashen. "I need to go home."

"No one leaves here until they're questioned," a guard said blocking their path. "Mrs. Weasley, you'll have to stay here."

"Hey," Ron stood in front of his mother. "She needs to go lie down all right?"

"Do you really think my mother would help Harry escape when he killed her husband?" Ginny asked.

Luna visibly flinched at Ginny's words.

"Okay," the guard relented. "We may need to talk with you later."

"You know," Ginny said, ignoring the guard. "One would think Hermione Granger planned this. We all know she thought she'd get Harry acquitted and she didn't. She's a sore loser."

"Ginny please," Molly said. "I don't want to hear this."

"Really," Luna said. "Ginny this isn't the time or place for false accusations."

"Why are you here?" Ginny asked glaring at her. "Every single time I turn around, there you are. Why don't you just go away?"

"She's here for me," Ron defended her.

"She's here because she wants you," Ginny said folding her arms. "I can't believe you can't see it. Then again, you couldn't see that your best friends were in love with each other..."

"Ginny enough," Ron said through clenched teeth. "What on earth is wrong with you?"

"I miss my father," Ginny collapsed against Charlie. "Why did this have to happen?"

"Look can we have a private room or something?" Charlie asked. "We won't leave the Ministry until you give us the clear sign- but my mum and sister need to lie down and rest." he said to the guard.

"Of course," the guard said. "You can use Remus Lupin's office."

"Thank you," Charlie said gratefully, supporting his mother and sister as they left the room.

"I'm going to go with them," Ron said to Luna.

"Of course," Luna nodded. "I'm going to stick around here- I'll meet you back at the Burrow when this is all over?"

"Right," Ron said absently as he walked away. Harry and Hermione couldn't have done this by themselves and he was going to do everything he could to find them and bring them both to justice.

*** *** ***

Harry and Hermione had spent the days leading up to the trial getting by on little to no sleep. It was no wonder that shortly after arriving in New Orleans, they fell asleep. It was mid morning before either of them woke up. Hermione smiled when she realised where she was and whose arms she'd slept in all night.

"Harry?" she whispered.

"Hmmm..." he mumbled, still asleep.

"Are you awake?" she asked nuzzling his neck.

"I'm getting there," he answered, his eyes still closed.

"We're still here," Hermione said softly resting her head on his chest. "No one knows where we are."

He kissed the top of her head. "I know," He answered. "For now at least..."

"They won't know," Hermione said determinedly. "As long as we don't use magic. They'll never be able to find us."

"I'll have to be careful," Harry said. "I sometimes use magic when I don't mean to."

"I know," Hermione said. "You'll have to try and keep that in control."

"So what do we do now?" Harry asked. "What do we do for money- and how are we going to figure out what really happened all the way over here in the states?"

Hermione sat up. "Dennis helped me with new identification. We have passports and papers in our new names."

"Dennis?" Harry asked. "Dennis Creevey?"

"He set most of this up," Hermione said. "He's smarter than you remember, Harry. He was really great."

Harry nodded. "This is really nice of him."

Hermione pulled back the covers and stood up. She walked over to her bag and pulled out the passports and identification Dennis had procured for them.

"Here you go, Jack Edwards," Hermione said handing it to him.

"I'm Jack Edwards?" Harry slid his glasses on and smiled wryly.

"And I'm your wife, Laura," Hermione said grinning at him.

"My wife?" Harry grinned. "Presumptuous."

Hermione picked up her pillow and hit him with it. "It was Dennis' idea."

"I don't mind," he pulled her onto the bed. "So Laura... is this our honeymoon?"

"Yes it is," Hermione said grinning at him.

"I like that idea," Harry tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Dennis gave me some American money to help us get started," Hermione said. "But I don't know how long we're going to be here."

"We've got a lot to figure out," Harry said, growing serious.

"There wasn't much time to plan," Hermione said defensively. "I just wanted to get you out of there, Harry."

"Part of me still wishes you hadn't done this," Harry confessed. "I hate that you're putting your future in jeopardy Hermione."

"There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you," she said softly. "Given the opportunity, I'd do it all again, Harry. If it got us here and kept you out of Azkaban."

He sighed and rolled out of the bed. "I'm going to take a shower," he slid his trousers on over his boxers.

"Harry--"

"I just need to think," he sent her a half smile.

Hermione nodded. "I-I'll just order us some breakfast."

"Sure," Harry replied. "Thanks Hermione."

Hermione watched him go into the bathroom. There was no doubt in her mind that she'd done the right thing.

Harry felt as if he hadn't showered in weeks which was only partially true- he'd been allowed to bathe at the Ministry but the water had been lukewarm at best. The hot water felt amazing on his stiff muscles and he could actually feel himself truly relax for the first time since this whole situation began.

Hermione ordered a full breakfast for them both and asked the bellman to bring up the newspaper.

A half hour later, Harry emerged from the bathroom, rubbing his still wet hair vigorously. "Something smells great in here."

"French toast," Hermione said. "With real maple syrup. And coffee."

"Great," Harry sat down.

"How was your shower?" she asked him.

"Amazing," Harry said. "Funny how things like a shower are something you can take for granted until you don't get one."

"And good food," Hermione said smiling across the table at him.

"And good friends," Harry reached for her hand. "And being with the woman I love."

"I love you too," she said softly. "You know that, right?"

He nodded. "I'm not angry with you Hermione, if that's what you're thinking."

"I was a little worried," Hermione admitted.

Harry moved into the chair next to hers. "I just don't want to screw up your life Hermione."

"We're going to find out who really killed Arthur and you'll be free," Hermione said.

"I hope we can," Harry said. "Everyone over there thinks I'm guilty as sin."

"Not everyone," Hermione said. "Luna's working on the case."

"She's really a great girl," Harry said softly.

"And I think she's going to help Ron come around," Hermione said.

"He hates me," Harry said glumly. "He was angry with me before all this happened."

"We hurt him a lot," Hermione said quietly.

"I know," Harry answered. "But I couldn't hide it anymore- and you had broken up with him..."

"Ron and I were a mismatch right from the start," Hermione said.

"Everyone always said you two bickered because you liked each other so much," Harry reached for a cup of coffee.

"I guess it's kind of like that kid in primary school who pulls on your plaits because he likes you," Hermione mused. "He wasn't like anyone I'd ever met and he used to make me so mad. I don't know. It was just something that I think had to happen, but it was like we went through the motions."

"In other words- it all comes to an end eventually because you grow up," Harry remarked.

"And what happened with you and Ginny---it seemed to just come out of nowhere," Hermione said looking at him over her coffee cup.

"It was strange," Harry said thoughtfully. "I think back on it now and I wonder what I saw in her."

"It hurt," Hermione admitted. "Watching you with her. It sort of confirmed for me then that you'd never see me as anything but a little sister. That I was just the girl you went to for the answers."

"You were always more to me than that," Harry told her. "I didn't show it in the best way, but the fact that you were always there for me meant a lot. I never had a friend like you, not even in Ron."

"What?" Hermione asked taken aback.

"Come on," Harry said. "Starting with that troll in our first year, you've always had my back. You stuck up for me and Ron, getting us out of trouble- and that was only the beginning."

"You saved my life," Hermione said softly.

"And you've saved mine," Harry said intently. "Many, many times."

Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes. "Here go the waterworks," she sniffed.

"You're famous for that," he teased gently.

Hermione laughed. "Well, you go and say stuff like that..."

"What, tell the truth?" he brushed a tear from her cheek.

"This is how it should be," Hermione said as his hand lingered on her cheek. "Us being like this. I know it's not normal, but it feels....it feels right."

He nodded. "How do we get in touch with Luna?"

"I said I'd ring her," Hermione said. "We can't owl her, of course."

"Right," Harry said.

"Eat up," Hermione said motioning toward his plate. "Before it gets cold."

"Since we can't use a warming charm," Harry said ruefully.

Hermione shook her head. "We'll make do."

"We have to," Harry leaned in and gave her a kiss. "I haven't done that yet this morning."

Hermione grinned. "You shaved."

"Had to," Harry smiled. "I'm not the shadow type."

"I like you like this," Hermione said touching his face. "I have a confession to make."

"You do?" he asked softly.

"I almost joined you in the shower," she said blushing as she said this.

"Maybe next time you will," he leaned in.

"What about breakfast?" she asked him.

"I keep forgetting about food when you're around." Harry replied.

"You just might go hungry, because I'm not going anywhere," she said looping her arms around his neck.

"I don't mind," he said kissing her again.

"Well, how about you finish your breakfast and I will go and get a bath," Hermione suggested. "And then we can explore the city."

"Shouldn't we be looking for jobs or something?" he asked.

"That will be part of exploring the city," Hermione replied. "There's a newspaper on the bed. See if you can find something."

"Okay," Harry agreed.

"Something inconspicuous," Hermione suggested. "And preferably where we can work together."

"Right," Harry said, picking up the Times Picayune. "Hopefully I'll find a few things."

Hermione disappeared into the bathroom, feeling positive that this would work out and that Luna would somehow find a way to prove Harry didn't do this.

*** *** ***

The next day, the Auror department was on full alert and every one was assigned the task to find out where Harry Potter and Hermione Granger had disappeared to. Lupin wasn't looking forward to work that day. For one thing, he was glad Harry had managed to escape. He'd had no idea how he'd have been able to say goodbye to the boy he'd come to see as a surrogate son.

"Kingsley wants to see you right away," Tonks told her husband as he entered the office.

Lupin sighed. "Let me guess- he wants me to head up the investigation into Harry's whereabouts."

"Looks that way," she said pecking him on the cheek. "I'll catch up with you later. I'm needed in the courthouse. Let me know how it goes."

"I will," Lupin watched his wife leave, wondering how he'd gotten lucky enough to find such a woman who loved him as much as Tonks did. With a groan, he got up and headed for Kingsley's office.

Kingsley sat behind his desk listening to two of his underlings discuss their findings---or lack thereof. He looked up gratefully when he saw Lupin.

"Remus," he said quietly.

"Kingsley," Lupin returned.

Kingsley dismissed the other Aurors. When they were alone, Kingsley levelled a gaze at his old friend. "I am only going to ask you this once, Remus. You didn't have any idea Harry was planning on escaping?"

"None," Lupin folded his arms. "None at all. I was barely even allowed to see him Kingsley."

Kingsley nodded. "And Miss Granger never implied to you that she was planning anything?"

"In the latter part of the trial, I never saw her either," Lupin replied. "She was either researching, looking for witnesses, or with Harry."

"You and I both agree that Harry couldn't have done this," Kingsley said. "But you know that the Minister is on my back wanting him and Hermione found, Remus."

"Why can't we refuse to be part of the search?" Lupin asked. "We've enough seniority here that we can refuse assignments."

"The Minister said that insubordination would be grounds for immediate termination," Kingsley replied.

Lupin kicked a large file cabinet. "Fuck," he swore under his breath.

"I'd much rather have them found by you than some rookie eager to prove himself," Kingsley said.

"I guess," Lupin sighed. "But I'll be honest with you Kingsley- if I did find them I'd be more apt to let them keep hiding until we found out what really happened to Arthur."

"I know," Kingsley said. "And I am inclined to agree with you. But Ronald Weasley was here earlier and he---"

"He believes his best friend did it," Lupin said quietly.

"You were in a similar situation once," Kingsley reminded him. "With Sirius..."

Lupin rubbed his temples as he dropped into a chair.

"I understand this puts you in an awkward position," Kingsley said.

Lupin snorted. "But does anyone else understand this?"

"Unfortunately, no," Kingsley replied. "The Minister only understands publicity and this incident has made him look really bad, Remus."

"Merlin forbid," Lupin snorted.

"Too bad that blonde reporter isn't an Auror," Kingsley remarked. "She's been here all morning asking questions..."

"Luna Lovegood?" Lupin asked. "She's here?"

Kingsley nodded. "Since the crack of dawn."

"I'm going to find her," Lupin got up. "I'll be back in a little while."

"Right," Kingsley said.

Luna was sitting in one of the old interrogation rooms having just finished questioning a guard. She looked up in surprise when she saw Remus Lupin.

"Hello, Professor," she said warmly.

"I haven't been your professor for years, Miss Lovegood," Lupin said to her.

"Old habits die hard," Luna said. "How are you doing?"

"The Ministry wants me to investigate Harry and Hermione's whereabouts," Lupin cut right to the chase.

"Oh," Luna said quietly. "I don't envy you."

"I don't think he did it," Lupin said. "But you already know that, don't you?"

Luna nodded. "I don't think he did it, either. In fact, I'm positive he didn't. I just---I just need to find proof."

"Perhaps," Lupin conjured himself and Luna two mugs of tea. "Perhaps we can start our own investigation. We can make the Ministry search work in our favour if we find them." he didn't notice Luna's eyes skip away.

"I'd like to help," Luna said staring at her notes. "But I'm not so sure it would be a good idea for us to work together, sir. Conflict on interest and all that."

"We're on the same side here," Lupin insisted.

"Yes, but--" Luna hedged.

"Is there something you don't want me to know?" Lupin asked directly.

"No sir," Luna lied, hating that she was misleading a man she'd admired for years.

Lupin gave her a searching look then nodded. "If you find out anything, you'll tell me?"

Luna nodded. "I-I'm sure they're safe, Mr. Lupin. You don't have to worry about that."

"I hope so," Lupin got up with his tea. "Thank you Miss Lovegood."

"Mr. Lupin?" Luna asked. "Can I ask you something? The judge in charge of Harry's trial...what do you know about him?"

Lupin shook his head. "He's one of the 'redeemed' ones- that came forward after Voldemort's downfall. But he hasn't been in touch with his old cohorts in years."

Luna wrote this down on her notepad. "And he seems on the up and up to you?"

"He's been as clean as a whistle for years now," Lupin nodded. "Every judge is checked out before he goes into a trial and he's got nary a smudge on his record."

Luna sighed. "Great...another dead end."

"I'm sorry," Lupin patted her shoulder.

"I'm getting used to it," Luna admitted.

"If you come across anything, please tell me." he said. "And I'll tell you."

"Okay," Luna said meaning it. She would tell him if she found out anything about the case, but she wouldn't reveal where her friends were. Not even to him.

"Good day Miss Lovegood," Lupin nodded.

He walked out of the room and toward the courtroom. His wife was collecting evidence and he had to smile when he saw her stub her toe on the table.

"You okay sweetheart?" Lupin asked her.

"No," Tonks said her face contorted in pain.

She sat down and Lupin reached for her foot, removing her shoe and gently rubbing her toe between his fingers. "Better yet?" he asked after several minutes.

"Much," she said smiling at him. "You look like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders."

"The Ministry isn't allowing anyone to back out of the search for Harry." Lupin sat in the chair next to her.

"I know," Tonks said. "When Kingsley asked me to do this, I refused...he really hates pulling rank about this. You know that, right?"

"I know," Lupin said. "And I don't blame him."

"I'm sure Harry and Hermione are okay," Tonks said. "At least he's not in Azkaban."

"Thank Merlin for that," Lupin agreed.

"And I'm sure James and Lily would be proud of how you've looked out for him," Tonks said putting her hand on his arm.

"I hope so," Lupin sighed. "Now that Sirius can't do it..."

"I wish I could have met them," Tonks said sincerely. "Sirius, I could have done without him teasing me about being so clumsy..."

"You are so clumsy," Lupin stroked her cheek with his thumb.

"Part of my charm," Tonks said with an impish grin.

"Aye," Remus agreed. "You've got loads of charm."

"Do I?" Tonks asked. She knew her husband wasn't one to engage in public displays of affection, especially on the job, but she couldn't resist giving him a kiss.

Lupin grinned. "Another?"

She giggled. "Of course."

"My Nymphadora," Lupin said when they pulled apart.

"I hate that name," Tonks reminded him. "But I like being yours."

"You'll always be mine," Lupin said.

"You want to help me finish up in here?" she asked him.

"In case you trip again?" he said.

"You know I will," Tonks said laughing. "There's no 'in case' about it."

Lupin smiled, feeling better already. His wife had that effect on him.

"Come on handsome," Tonks said standing up. "Let's do this."