Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nowhere to Run by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nowhere to Run

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' Note: Hope everyone is having a good week. This is a pivotal chapter in the story and things that happen here will set in motion something huge. So without further ado…the verdict is in…

It's down to this
I've got to make this life make sense
Can anyone tell what I've done
I miss the life
I miss the colours of the world
Can anyone tell where I am

'Cause now again I've found myself
So far down, away from the sun
That shines into the darkest place
I'm so far down, away from the sun again
Away from the sun again

(3 Doors Down, "Away From The Sun")

The jury had been in deliberations for nearly a week. The longer they were out, the better it looked for Harry. Luna reluctantly testified about seeing Harry together with Ginny at the Ministry the afternoon of Arthur Weasley's murder. Luna told Hermione during her cross-examination that her old friend didn't seem like himself and that she could sense something was off with him. When Hermione tried to bring the idea of polyjuice into the equation, the opposing counsel had quickly objected and the judge had quickly sided with them. All was not lost, though, Hermione thought optimistically. If Harry did get convicted, she would use that as grounds for appeal.

And this had Ron worried. Harry couldn't get off scot free for this. One way or the other, he would pay for killing Arthur. To help get his mind off the deliberations, he'd decided to go flying. He'd taken a leave of absence from the team in light of recent events and he hadn't flown since his father's death.

There was something exhilarating about being that far up in the sky---away from it all. Up there, he didn't have to think about his mother and her grief. He didn't have to think about how he'd be able to hold all of it together for his family. His father had been the one to teach him how to fly. Those elementary lessons from Madame Hooch hadn't amounted to much and Fred and George would have rather teased him unmercifully than try to help him. Flying had come so easily to Harry and Ron had wanted to be just as good, or even better, than his best friend.

Every holiday, Arthur would wake him up early and the two of them would go in the backyard and practise flying. The twins were notoriously late sleepers and they'd had no idea about the lessons. True to his word, Arthur promised his youngest son he'd never tell anyone.

"They'll think you came by it naturally," Arthur had told his son with a pat on his back. "And you did, Ron. Weasley men have always been great flyers. You just need to keep practising."

"I want to play Quidditch professionally for the Cannons," Ron confided. "And I want, just once for Fred, George, Charlie and Bill to be known as Ron Weasley's big brothers. I hate being known as Fred and George's ickle brother."

"Better than being known as their guinea pig, eh son?" Arthur teased good-naturedly.

Ron laughed. "A little, I guess."

With his free hand, Ron wiped stubbornly at his eyes. It was hard to imagine that he'd never be able to talk to his father again. And he felt guilty for all those times, he'd cursed his parents for not being able to give them more. How selfish and stubborn he'd been. Now that he had the chance to look back on it, he realised how hard his parents had worked to give them what they had. And now, he'd never be able to tell his father how much it had meant to him; how much his father had meant to him.

He circled the pitch once more and he caught sight of a familiar blonde in the stands watching him.

He smiled as he thought of Luna. She had been his rock throughout all of this. There was no way he'd have been able to do any of this without her. She really had proven to be a great friend.

"Hi," she said as he swooped down. "I thought you might be flying when I didn't see you at the house."

"I just wanted to get a way for a bit," he said sitting down beside her.

"I don't blame you," Luna said. "Things must be really tense this week."

Ron scratched the nape of his neck. "Just a little. I read your article this morning."

"What did you think?" she asked, biting on her nail. She'd tried to remain as objective as possible but it was clear that she believed in Harry's innocence.

"It was good," Ron replied. "I know you have to be objective. "

"You liked it?" Luna was surprised.

Ron nodded and looked sideways at her. "I like everything you write."

She smiled. "Thank you."

"Hermione did a really good job on her closing argument," Ron said quietly. "Talking about where Harry was…I can't believe how snowed she is by all of this!"

"Hermione believes what Harry says," Luna said gently. "I think he's telling the truth…"

"He wouldn't know the truth if it came up and smacked him in the face," Ron said angrily. "I knew he had it bad for Hermione, but I didn't know it went on that long..."

Luna placed a hand on his arm. "He'd have stayed silent about his feelings for her if he knew the two of you were happy together."

"You don't know him very well, do you?" Ron asked her. "He wants what he can't have."

"You're his best friend," Luna answered quietly. "Since you were both eleven. Harry's not perfect but he'd put your happiness before his own."

Ron shook his head. "If you'll excuse me, I have somewhere I have to be."

"Ron," Luna stood up. "Please don't be angry with me because I didn't think Harry did this."

"Of course you don't," Ron said. "You know for all I know, you're going to him and telling him everything I say. I thought you were on my side, Luna. I thought you---just go away. Okay? Just go away and leave me alone!"

"No," Luna said forcefully.

"Fine," Ron said pushing past her. "I'll go then."

"You're going to listen to me," Luna grabbed his arm. "I'm here because I care about you Ronald Weasley. But Harry's also my friend- he was there for me when nobody else was! And I'm not about to go and believe he's capable of murder."

Ron stared at her for a few moments. "We can't be friends then, Luna."

"I'm still here for you," Luna told him. "I've listened to you when you've vented about this- I've been there when you've broken down."

'Why would you do that?" Ron asked her. "If you thought I was full of crap? Huh?"

Luna looked away. "I don't know," she said. "But I can tell you believe Harry's guilty. Everything you've said was sincere..."

"You know what I want?" Ron asked her. "I want something that's just mine. And I'm never, ever going to get that, am I? I play for Harry's team. I'm Harry's sidekick and best mate, or was. And my girlfriend is now Harry's girlfriend. And the one person I thought I could count on---she's just told me that she doesn't believe me."

Luna sighed. "Ron please--"

"I have to go," Ron said picking up his broom. "I'll see you in court."

"Please don't go like this," she pleaded.

"Why weren't you honest with me from the beginning?" he rounded on her. "Why did you do this?"

"I didn't do anything!" Luna exclaimed. "Ronald I simply believe that Harry's innocent. It doesn't make me think any less of you or what you believe. And despite this, I will continue to be here for you!"

Ron gave her one last look before walking away.

For a moment Luna contemplated letting him take off and not bother him. But then she found herself running after him and just before he could fly away on his broom she climbed on behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist. "I'm not letting you go anywhere without me."

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked her. "Get off!"

"No," Luna said stubbornly.

"Loony Lovegood, if you don't get off my broom right now---" Ron warned.

"You'll what?" she asked boldly as tears welled in her eyes.

Ron kicked off from the ground. "Fine, I hope you're not scared of heights."

Luna buried her face in his back. She wasn't afraid of heights but he was going awfully fast and she hadn't been on a broom in ages.

Ron slowed down mostly because she was gripping his waist so tight. "You are a stubborn mule, you know that?" he called out to her over his shoulder.

"Well you're a jackass and an idiot," she retorted in a very un- Luna-like fashion.

"You're not the first to call me that," Ron said his tone much lighter. "Hard as it is to believe."

"I doubt I would be," Luna said, wishing she'd plaited her hair. It was flying around her face and making it difficult for both of them to see.

"You okay back there?" he asked her as he took them higher.

"Yes," she answered. "I'm not afraid of flying."

"You're holding on to my waist like you are," Ron said.

"So?" she said.

"Making it a little hard to breathe is all," Ron said with a grin.

"Oh," she loosened up a bit. "Sorry..."

"It's okay," he said. "The only girl I've ever flown with before was Lavender Brown. Not too much fun with her squealing in my ear the entire time."

"Did you ever fly with Hermione?" Luna asked.

Ron shook his head. "She hates flying."

Luna was silent as Ron took them over a forest and touched down near the Burrow. "That was nice up there," she said.

Ron tried not to laugh as he looked at her. "You're um....your hair...."

"It's a mess," Luna tried to pull it back. "It's really too long."

"It's not," Ron reassured her. "You have really nice hair, actually. You're just a little windblown is all."

She found a tie in her pocket and twisted it around her tussled locks. "Thanks," Luna's face turned pink.

"So I guess we should just agree to disagree about this whole Harry thing," Ron said quietly.

"I'd like that," she said softly. "I have to write more articles on him..."

"And is it okay if I hope that you're writing about him being found guilty?" Ron asked her.

A small smile played at her lips. "I'll pretend I didn't hear that. I have to stay objective."

Ron held out his hand to her. "Friends?"

"Okay," she agreed, stepping closer as he took her hand in his.

Ron didn't know why but for some reason he found himself leaning in and cupping her cheek with his free hand. "Luna, I--"

"Ron!" Charlie called out.

They jumped apart, both of them flushing guiltily. "WHAT?" Ron hollered.

"The verdict's in," Charlie called back. "We just received word."

"This late?" Ron asked as he and Luna rushed towards the house.

"Aye," Charlie said. "Hiya, Luna. Didn't know you were here, too."

"Hi Charlie," Luna said softly. "I came back with Ron."

"You can come with us to the Ministry, if you like," Charlie said. "Mum's just getting ready."

"I have to be there," Luna said. "To cover it for the Quibbler." Her palms were sweaty and she wiped them on her robes.

"I should go and get changed too," Ron said. "I doubt they'd let me in with my sweats."

Luna watched him go upstairs and then she tried to finger comb the tangles out of her hair. She looked sideways at Charlie who looked quite pensive.

"Why do I get the feeling that after today, it's not going to be over?" Charlie asked thoughtfully. "This just…"

"What?" Luna asked.

"I know what all these people are saying and that there's all this evidence pointing to Harry having done this, but I just can't believe that the bloke I've known since he was a kid could have done this," Charlie said quietly. "It just doesn't seem…right."

He looked toward the house and shrugged. "But Ginny's our sister and she wouldn't lie about this."

Luna wished she could reassure Charlie, but she wasn't quite so sure. The more she thought about it, the more convinced she was that Ginny was definitely hiding something.

****************

Back at the Ministry, Harry was reading a book that Hermione had given him on Quidditch. He leaned back on his small bunk and tried to concentrate on the words before him. But it was useless. He'd been staring at this book for over two hours and he couldn't even remember one thing he'd read.

Harry had always hated to wait. Patience wasn't a virtue he possessed and it had gotten him into quite a few scrapes over the past few years. How was he supposed to just sit here while everyone else decided his fate? But that's what he had to do. Sit. Wait. Wonder.

His one regret about the trial was that he hadn't been given the opportunity to testify on his own behalf. He'd wanted to tell his side of the story and counteract the damage that Ginny had done in her testimony. But, Hermione had insisted it wasn't necessary and his testifying would do more harm than good. She'd already presented her case to the judge and jury about where Harry was and she'd tripped Ginny up on the conception date.

Harry suspected Hermione was afraid he'd get up there and blow his top when the prosecutor cross-examined him. And even though he thought he should testify, he'd listened to Hermione's advice. She'd never steered him in the wrong direction and he trusted her judgment. Lupin and Tonks concurred and Harry had reluctantly agreed.

But, he had faith in Hermione. If anyone could get him out of this, she could.

It certainly didn't help matters that public sympathy seemed to be on Ginny's side. That morning's newspaper featured a front-page story on the youngest Weasley. Her "private heartbreak and sorrow" had been on display for the entire world to see. As Harry had read over the article and glimpsed the photograph of a weeping Ginny, he couldn't help but wonder what on earth had happened to his former girlfriend.

Why would she accuse him of doing something like this? Their break-up had been amicable and she'd always told him that she'd harboured no ill-will toward him. Over the past couple of years, though, she'd seemingly become a different person. She was distant and even a little snarky, for want of a better word.

She'd been his first "real" girlfriend after the Cho debacle. And looking back on it now, Harry's feelings for her had seemingly come out of nowhere. He'd seen her as his best mate's kid sister for so many years. And then during his sixth year, something had made him take notice of her in a different light. Their relationship ended before it had even begun.

They'd never really talked and he certainly had hidden a great deal of information from her. She wasn't like Hermione-who had been with him from the start and who hadn't liked him because of his name or what he'd done. Hermione had been there for him because she believed in him and had liked him for what he was. If only he'd noticed that before, Harry thought sadly. Perhaps they wouldn't have been in this mess.

"Potter," the guard said grinning at him. "Looks like you're about to learn your fate."

"What?" Harry asked throwing the book down. "You mean the jury's out?"

"Smart one, aren't you?" the guard said. "Come on, on your feet."

Harry got up, ignoring the guard's smirk.

"They've got you a nice, cold cell in Azkaban," the guard said with a laugh. "Nice, big cell. Just for you and some of your old friends, the Death Eaters. I'm sure they'll be glad to see you."

"Fuck you," Harry glared at him. "When I get out of here I'll have you sacked."

"I don't think so," the guard said. "Your girlfriend's waiting for you in the visitor's room."

Harry brushed past him without another word.

Hermione gave him a reassuring smile when he walked through the door.

"I'll come and get you when the judge is ready," the guard said smirking at them both before shutting the door behind him.

"What do you think?" Harry asked.

"I think it's an acquittal," Hermione replied. "They were out this long, Harry. That's usually very good for the defence."

"I hope so," he said. "I can't help but be scared shitless."

"You're going to be going home with me tonight," she said squeezing his hand.

"And we'll celebrate," Harry said. "Hermione... what you've done for me--"

"Shhhh," she said stepping closer. "I wanted to do it."

"I don't know what I'd do without you," Harry said. "I really don't Hermione. You've gotten me out of one mess after the other since we were eleven."

"The brains behind the brawn," she teased. "You've done the same for me, you know."

"We've always made a good team," Harry said. "Wish I'd realised it earlier instead of going after Ginny and Cho."

"Doesn't matter now," she said softly. "We have a future to plan and I am going to have to run to the shops after the verdict because I'm going to cook you the greatest dinner. No more Ministry food for you, no more smirking, smug guards..."

"That sounds fantastic," he smiled at her.

"And you can have a nice, warm bath," she said grinning back at him.

Harry leaned in. "Will you be in that bath?" he asked softly.

"Someone has to help you clean your back," she said thoughtfully. "Hard to reach, you know..."

"And yours," he said, leaning even closer. "I'd like to wash every inch of you..."

"You would?" Hermione asked huskily.

Harry nodded before pressing his lips to hers.

Hermione looped her arms around his neck and forgot any doubts she might have about the verdict. Despite the front she was trying to keep up for Harry, she was afraid. Jacob and the prosecution had really painted a bad picture of Harry.

"I love you," he breathed when they broke apart.

"I love you too," she whispered. "I can't wait to show you how much."

"Same here," he pulled away as he heard the guard approaching.

"They're ready for you," the guard said.

Harry and Hermione stood up and went down the hall to the courtroom. "Please," she whispered to herself. "Please let them find him innocent."

The courtroom was full and Harry immediately saw the Weasleys sitting behind the prosecution. Ron looked away immediately as did Ginny. Molly sobbed into her handkerchief and was comforted by Charlie.

Despite what the verdict would be, Harry knew the Weasleys would never forgive him for this. It pained him- he'd thought of them as family for so long now. Luna caught his eye and gave him an encouraging smile.

The judge walked into the courtroom followed by the jurors. Hermione felt her stomach clench when she saw the majority of them avoid looking at Harry. That was a bad sign.

The judge began the proceeding by reading through the charges against Harry.

She squeezed his hand again for support, wishing hers wasn't so clammy. "It'll be okay," Hermione whispered. "It has to be, Harry."

"Right," Harry whispered back.

The judge asked for Harry to stand and Hermione stood beside him wanting to badly to hold his arm or his hand.

"Has the jury reached a verdict?" the judge asked.

"We have, Your Honour," the foreman stood up and handed over a slip of parchment.

The judge read the slip of parchment, his own expression unreadable.

"Harry James Potter," the judge began. "This jury has found you..."

"Say guilty," Ron muttered under his breath. "You damn well better say guilty."

Ginny looked over her shoulder at the brown-haired man sitting in the back of the courtroom. He gave her a thumbs-up sign. Her nerves were completely shot and you honestly didn't know if she could go through with this.

"....guilty of murder of one Arthur Weasley," the judge finished.

Hermione pressed her lips together, her face gone pale as the prosecution side of the room cheered.

The judge banged his gavel and called for order in the courtroom. "Sentencing will be held tomorrow morning at nine o'clock. Mr. Potter will be held here at the Ministry until that time."

"I'll figure something out Harry," Hermione whispered desperately.

Harry was speechless as the guard led him away.

"Mum," Ron said to his mother. He had a smile on his face. "Isn't this great?"

Molly slowly stood up and shook her head. "It won't bring your father back, Ronald. That's what I wanted."

"But you know that can't happen," Ron argued. "But the person who killed him was brought to justice."

"I'm---I'm not so sure," Molly said turning away from him. She wiped at her eyes with her handkerchief. "Charlie, I'd like to go home now."

"Right, Mum," Charlie said quietly.

"If you go out that door over there, you'll avoid the press," Luna suggested.

"Thank you Luna," Molly smiled gratefully at her. "I appreciate that."

"Come on Gin," Fred said to his sister. "Let's get you home, too."

"I can get home myself," Ginny pulled away. "I've... got to talk to someone before I leave."

"Ginny--" Fred protested, but she'd already disappeared into the crowd.

Hermione was trying to keep her own tears at bay as she packed her folders and paperwork into her briefcase. How could she have fouled everything up so terribly? Her best friend in the entire world was going to Azkaban because she couldn't come through for him when he needed her the most.

"Hermione?"

"Yes?" Hermione turned around.

"I'm really sorry," Luna said quietly. "I thought he'd get off. I really did."

"So did I," Hermione said softly. "It never truly occurred to me that he might be found guilty."

"I wish there was something I could do," Luna said sincerely.

"I'm going to appeal," Hermione said. "So if you hear anything at all..."

"Appeals can take years," Luna said softly. She watched Hermione trying valiantly to hold herself together. She couldn't imagine what the older woman was going through. "I--I can't believe I'm doing this. Hermione, do you remember Dennis Creevey?"

"Yes of course," Hermione replied absently.

Luna reached into her bag and handed Hermione a card. "He works for the Ministry in the Portkey Office. I interviewed him a few months back and he was telling me about how easy it is to set up untraceable portkeys. I didn't publish it because he didn't want to get into trouble, but---"

"Luna..." Hermione said taken aback. "Are you saying Harry should run away?"

"I'm saying that you and I both know he didn't do this," Luna said in a hushed tone. "And Azkaban is full of people that he helped put there. Do you think he'd survive?"

Hermione shook his head. "He's got enough bad memories to feed the Dementors for a lifetime," she whispered. "Thank you Luna." she took the slip.

"I'm going to do everything I can to help you prove he didn't do it," Luna promised.

"You're really a fantastic person, Luna," Hermione said as tears welled in her eyes.

"I'll be in touch," Luna said giving her a hug. "Stay strong."

"We will," Hermione said, gathering the rest of her things. She left the room, not paying attention to Ginny who was deep in conversation with a dark haired bloke in the corner of the room.

"What did I tell you, Red?" Draco said to Ginny. "We're home free."

"I can't believe it," Ginny said softly. "You actually made this work."

"Never doubt a Malfoy," Draco whispered.

"I won't," she said. "Not now..."

"Celebratory dinner," Draco said grinning at her. "Our place, tonight. You going to be there?"

"I should be," Ginny said. "Mum will be doing better now that this is all over with."

"Fantastic," Draco said squeezing her hand.

"You ready to go, Luna?" Ron asked. She, however, was too busy watching Ginny.

"Ronald?" Luna asked. "Who is that Ginny's talking to?"

"I don't know," Ron answered. "Never seen him before."

"They seem awfully close, don't you think?" Luna asked thoughtfully. "Reminds me a little of that bloke who came to see her at your dad's funeral."

"Oi, Ginny," Ron called.

Ginny groaned. "I'll be home as soon as I can," she said to Draco.

"See you then," Draco wanted to kiss her but knew he couldn't.

Ginny smiled at him before walking over to join Ron and Luna. "You two ready to go? I'm really knackered."

"Who was that bloke?" Ron ignored his sister's question.

"Who?" Ginny asked innocently.

Ron rolled his eyes. "The guy in the corner who you were JUST talking to."

"Just a bloke I know," Ginny said dismissively. "Come on, Ron. I want to get home and check on Mum."

Ron crossed his arms. "I thought you weren't seeing anyone."

"I'm not," Ginny said. "He's just an acquaintance. What's with the third degree?"

"I just worry about you," Ron said. "Especially with you being pregnant and the father of your child just convicted of murder."

"I appreciate the concern," Ginny said quietly. "But I'm going to be fine."

"He looked sort of familiar," Luna said, trying another tactic. "Did he go to school with us?"

"No," Ginny said, her voice cool. "Look I suddenly don't feel so well. I'm going to my flat. Tell Mum I'll be by tomorrow." she turned and left before Ron or Luna could ask any more questions.

"Are all pregnant women like that?" Ron asked Luna.

"Secretive?" Luna asked. "Not normally..."

"Think she's up to something?" Ron asked her.

"I don't know," Luna replied. "I don't know anything right now. I'm a bit stunned to be honest with you."

"I know this wasn't how you wanted things to turn out," Ron said quietly.

Luna shook her head. "I still don't believe he did it."

"Luna, how many people saw him walk out of my dad's office?" Ron asked her. "If he didn't do it, who did?"

"I don't know," Luna said again. "But I'm going to help Hermione find out." she levelled her gaze at Ron, whose eyebrows were knit together. "I know it's not what you want to hear, but I hope you'll remember that you're still one of Harry's best friends and despite what happened with you and Hermione, and him and Hermione, that you're still a very important person to him."

"You---you do what you have to do," Ron said though he wasn't happy about it.

Luna took his hand. "I don't want you to hate me for it."

Ron squeezed her hand. "Not possible, Luna. Agree to disagree, right?"

"Good," she said softly.

"You want to come with me to the Burrow?" Ron asked. "I-I'd really like it if you would."

"Sure," Luna agreed. "I'd love to come back with you."

Ron smiled at her. "Shall we then?"

Meanwhile Hermione was heading over to meet up with Dennis Creevey. She knew Luna was right- Harry could never survive all the prisoners in Azkaban and the Dementors as well. Her only hope was to find a place for them to hole up until she could prove him innocent.

As luck would have it, Dennis was the only person on duty in the portkey office. Many of his colleagues had gone downstairs to listen to the verdict in the big ballroom. As the youngest member of the staff, he'd been the one who had to hold down the fort.

He was working on his own research when he heard the door open. "Fill out the form," he called out absently. "Your application might not be approved for a couple of weeks...."

"Dennis," Hermione said briskly. "I need an untraceable portkey- tonight. If you can do it, I'll pay you well. But I can't tell you what it's for."

"Hermione Granger?" Dennis asked her. "What on earth are you doing here?"

"I can't tell you," Hermione bit her lower lip. "It's better if you don't know the details Dennis."

Dennis had heard the verdict on the Wireless. It wasn't difficult to imagine what---or whom---she needed it for.

"Where do you want to go?" Dennis asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I don't know..." Hermione ran her hand through her hair, which was escaping its ponytail. "America- somewhere over in the States." She made a quick decision. She'd always been a stickler for the rules and following the law, but desperate times called for desperate measures. She'd never in her life done something like this and she was scared to death what would happen if they were caught.

But it was a chance she'd have to take. She couldn't let Harry go to Azkaban. She wouldn't.

"I can have it for you tonight," Dennis promised. "And you don't have to pay me, Hermione. I'd be honoured to do it."

Unexpected tears filled her eyes. "Thank you, Dennis," she whispered.

"He saved my parents during the War," Dennis said. "I'd do anything for him for that."

"I'll make sure he knows you helped us out." Hermione said. "Thank you so much."

"You're going to need some new identification too," Dennis said quietly. "I-I can help you with that, too."

"You will?" she asked her voice breaking. "T-that would be lovely."

Dennis smiled. "I'll bring it by your flat tonight."

Hermione nodded. "They'll probably question you- you can say that I simply took a portkey without you knowing. I'll go along with whatever story you come up with."

"We never had this conversation," Dennis said. "In fact, I haven't spoken with you since you graduated from Hogwarts."

She nodded again. "I owe you so much, Dennis. We both owe you."

"Good luck," Dennis said.

"Thanks," Hermione said quietly. "We're really going to need it."

*** *** ***